TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Let Them Live by mybloodychaos

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Summary: It was often hard living as a shinobi, but with Naruto, blinded at the age of eight, it was almost impossible. Now he has to learn to live with his blindness and trust those around him.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. I do not claim any rights to Naruto or any characters associated with the anime/manga. They are the property of Masashi Kishimoto.
A/N: This is a re-write of the original LTL. It is nothing like the other one, except the fact that Naruto is blind. I would suggest that you don't complain about the change, because frankly, I don't care. I'm going to keep going with this story-line, and nothing you say or do will change my decision. I would also suggest that you comment, and at least let me know that you are reading. It would be much appreciated.

---------------------------

He never really liked the blank, white-washed walls of the hospital. They always seemed to bring back memories, none of which were all that pleasant. It always hurt to visit someone in the hospital, especially if they had been badly wounded, or even if they were just ill. The worst was not visiting someone that had ended up in a coma, though it came in a close second. The patient was fine, for the most part, if not a bit unresponsive, but that was to be expected. No, the worst was dealing with the fussy doctors that were always found roaming around the halls. They always talked too much and gave meaningless warnings. He knew what to do and what not to do while visiting someone in the hospital. He wasn't stupid.

What he really didn't understand was how his son, his own flesh and blood, had ended up in the hospital at the age of eight. Yes, he understood that his son was hurt, and needed the medical attention, but he still couldn't quite grasp that it was his son laying in that bed and not someone else's. His brain seemed to be working slower than usual; he saw what had happened, but the facts hadn't quite caught up with him yet.

It really was a gruesome sight, even after all the blood had been cleaned away. The thick, diagonal slash across the boy's eyes was still oozing blood, but the nurses didn't dare cover it. There was a large possibility that the wound was infected, and an even higher risk of poison in the boy's blood. Even with that, though, they would have to wait until medicine arrived from Suna. Another three days, on top of the time it had taken the ANBU to find the boy.

Thankfully, the battle with Iwa was finally over, and with heightened security around the village, they were able to walk freely without dreading another attack. Granted, they had to be searched whenever they entered the Hokage tower or hospital, but it was worth it.

Many were visiting wounded family members, and he was grateful that he hadn't run into anyone but doctors. It wasn't that he didn't want to console them, he just didn't want their pity. He already received enough pitying looks from the villagers; he didn't need those looks from his shinobi too.

He closed his eyes, sighing as he slumped into a chair. From what the doctor had said, the boy would not wake up for quite a while, nor would his body heal like it was meant to. He would have plenty of time to reflect on everything that had happened and his ability to be a true father to his son.

Before, it had been enough trouble raising his son: it had eventually gotten to be such a hassle that instead of sending his son to the academy like the other normal families, he had gotten a tutor. Now, with his son needing even more attention, he realized just how incapable he was, and instantly sent for someone that he knew would be willing to take care of his son for him.

-----

Yamanaka Inoichi arrived later on that day with is daughter, Ino, trailing along behind him. He smiled, ignoring his daughter's whines, and sat down next to the other man.

"You called for me, Hokage-sama?" He asked, putting his hand over his daughter's mouth and muffling her ignorant huffs. His eyes drifted over to the hospital bed, then down to the floor. "Does this have anything to do with Naruto's injury?"

"Yes. I am afraid I will not be able to effectively take care of Naruto in his condition. He will need much attention, and I will not be able to provide him with that attention. It seems that the only stable shinobi family in this village, at the moment, is your own. Therefore, your family is the only one capable of raising him." Minato paused, looking at the sour face Ino wore. "Naruto is scheduled for surgery in three days' time, and should wake up in seven. I will let you go now and talk it over with your wife and daughter. If you decide that you do not wish to take care of Naruto, I would like to be informed immediately so I could find another family."

Inoichi nodded, then stood and bowed. Ino did the same, and then walked over to the bed and looked down at the boy. She reached forward, her hand stopping at his whiskered cheeks. She glanced up at her father.

"Can I help take care of him?" Her voice held a demanding tone, daring her father to tell her no. "I helped take care of Sakura-chan's new sister, so you better let me help take care of Naruto-sama."

Inoichi chuckled, patting the blonde girl on her head. "Of course...if your mother agrees." He smirked, knowing fully that his wife would not be opposed to taking care of the Hokage's son. Ino, on the other hand, had no clue.

-----

Minato rubbed his eyes warily, his shoulders hunched. The medicine from Suna had finally arrived, delayed by two days. During that time, the long gash that had taken his son's vision had become even more infected, and had put a major dent in the boy's healing process. Thankfully, the medicine had arrived before the child's condition had gotten any more out of hand.

The operation had been long, and the air outside the operating room had been thick with tension. Halfway through, a doctor had come out to inform Minato of the progress. He had thanked the doctor, but hadn't dared to speak a name. His brain was still sluggish, and he couldn't quite remember who the man was. Thankfully, the operation had been going well at the time.

Naruto was sleeping now, tucked into the bed with blankets taken from his home. The doctors had been the ones to suggest it, so he would be comfortable, and feel a little safer, when he woke up. The heart monitoring machine was still on, though it wasn't as loud as one would think; it was just a gentle humming in the background, something that could easily lull someone to sleep.

After the operation, Minato had decided that there was something he disliked even more than the white cleanliness of the rooms, off-white walls, and blankness of the hallways: he absolutely despised the white colour of bandages. He never really minded them before, but now, as he stared at the bandages wrapped securely around his son's head, he decided he didn't like bandages too much, even if they did help with wounds.

He didn't have to worry about finding a home for Naruto, at least. Inoichi had come to him the day before with his decision that he would take care of the boy. The only thing was, neither Inoichi, nor his wife, would have agreed without one condition being guaranteed to them: they would take care of Naruto and treat him as their own if they would be allowed to adopt him; and the more Minato thought about it, the more he realized that he would only be at ease knowing that his son would be alright. The only way his son would be safe, though, was if his name was changed, and all evidence that they were related was destroyed. Knowing this, he agreed to the condition.

Now, he was trying to push down the guilt he was feeling. His son, no doubt, would not forgive him for "giving him away." He had always thought he would feel guilt when he killed, but he soon came to the conclusion that he was more susceptible to guilt when anything that involved his son happened. But, why was he feeling guiltier about putting him under the care of another than for what had happened to make him come to that decision? It just didn't make sense.

The doctors had warned him about making changes in the boy's life. He was not to make any drastic changes unless absolutely necessary. Naruto would already be overwhelmed with dealing with his loss of sight, and anything else could end up pushing him over the edge. Though Minato didn't really realize it at the time, one of those changes he had been warned about was changing families. How would an eight-year-old react to having a new father, and a sister and mother? That was the real question, and major concern.