TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


The Konoha Chronicles by Nix

[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Enter Uzumaki Naruto. Well. Enter SOMETHING like Uzumaki Naruto. Times had changed.

He'd spent nearly three years of his life serving as an apprentice beneath the tutelage of Jiraiya - another year back in the confines of Konoha, whilst dealing with the ever-present threat of Akatsuki.
So many things had changed. The entirety of the village had grown in his absence - not that he hadn't grown, but he had yet to grow in the manner with which he intended. How many of the rookie nine were now Chunins? How many were Jonin? Surely, he could fight and perform on a level either equal to or surpassing his peers; but, without the title, what use was the ability?

Even Sakura had become a Chunin in his absence; this went without mentioning her insane strength and training as a medical-nin. She was tantamount to a younger version of Tsunade. He didn't know whether or not that was a pleasing thought or not.

Now, even as the moon rose ever higher into the heavens, our beloved, loud-mouthed, boisterous ninja lie on his back on the roof of his housing complex. He stared skyward toward the stars. In a way, he fancied them pin-pricks in a sheet that was the night sky - as if there were some sort of luminance that he couldn't see that afforded the sky its ethereal glow. Mature thoughts coming from someone previously thought immature, no?

So much had changed - especially in Naruto. He found himself matured, at least somewhat more intelligent, and sporting a body that was more like a man's. He wasn't sure whether or not these were welcomed changes - especially when he considered the path he'd taken in order to reach this place. Sasuke's betrayal of the Leaf, the death of the Third Hokage - the pain that he saw in Sakura's face every time the betrayal of the Uchiha was mentioned. He'd still not fulfilled his promise of what was now four years.

Naurto's mind played over the scene. ' I'll bring him back. I'll bring Sasuke back. It's a promise! ' Lee had even reinforced the fact - since he'd sworn his oath with the nice-guy pose, he had to uphold his honor and do as the nature of the pose intended. Lee had a good heart, but he couldn't be labelled logical.

Naruto continued to lie there whilst he silently mused to himself. He tucked his hands beneath his head so as to cushion them from the harsh tile of the roof - the long, black tendrils of his headband spilled across the tile erratically. A sigh left him.

" You're enjoying a pleasant evening and all of this fresh air, Naruto - so what point is there in lying about so depressed? " A familiar voice rung out across the rooftop. Naruto didn't even have to look to see who the voice belonged to - over the last, few years, he had grown accustomed to hearing it; even in random instances such as these. Hatake Kakashi had managed to sneak up on the young ninja in the night - which was no large feat, when one considered the Jonin's amazing skill.

" Kakashi-sensei? "

" A-yo! " Kakashi raised a hand in a greeting gesture, but kept his attention for the most part glued to the Icha-Icha novel that he was reading.

" Why're you up so late, sensei? "

" Probably for the same reason that you are. I couldn't sleep. "

" Me either, " Naruto replied - he rose from his prone position on the cool tile of the complex roof. A stride or two took him to the edge of the building, where he pulled himself up to seat himself on the extended wall that surrounded the roof. He watched Kakashi as the man made a shocking move. He dog-eared a page of his beloved novel and stuffed it into his possible's pouch, which was firmly strapped at the rear of his left hip.

" I've known you long enough to tell that something's bothering you. Do I have to ask, or are you going to explain it yourself? " Kakashi's calm, quiet voice seemed to echo into the night further than anyone would think possible.

" Meh, " Naruto said - his now broad-shoulders rolled in a slow shrug. " I've just been thinking about everything that's happened over the last, three or four years. I've just been thinking about the path that I've walked. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I've come a long way - but, I don't think I'm altogether satisfied with the results. "

Kakashi cut off Naruto before he could explain further. He raised a hand in a gesture to stop the young ninja's rant. " I understand. I find myself reminiscing in much the same way - but, never forget: the past is dead, the past is gone, and there is nothing that we can do to change it. Furthermore, if you hadn't taken the path to get where you are now - where would you be? Who would you be? "

Naruto mused on this. He understood, at least, to the extent that he was known to understand things. " I guess I understand. Had I not made the right choices, and had I not done the things I've done - I guess I could be in a far worse place. "

" Precisely. Never dote on the things that you can't change, Naruto. Strive for the things you can. Those lie in the now, and in the future. Now - why don't you try to sleep, as, you might need your rest. The village office hasn't been flooded with missions as of late, but, you can never tell when the Hokage will ship you off. "
Naruto shrugged again, expressing painfully apparent disinterest in rest or sleep. Still, he took his mentor's advice and decided that a few winks wouldn't hurt. Naruto turned toward the edge of the roof and looked down to the balcony a few feet below. Kakashi left his crouched-perch on the edge of the building to approach Naruto. Kakashi clapped Naruto on the shoulder. " I'm glad to see that you're taking my advice for a change. "

Naruto only nodded; he was still lost in his thoughts, despite his sensei's sage advice. Kakashi vanished in a broad puff of smoke, as per his normal exit from most scenes - this left Naruto alone on the rooftop. He gazed one last time, skyward, half-expecting to find an answer to the questions that haunted him written in the starry, night sky. When they afforded him little help, he admitted defeat and decided that he would try to sleep. He leapt onto the balcony outside of his bedroom window and crept in through the open window. He closed the window behind him and turned to collapse instantly on the bed.

He couldn't help but wonder whether or not Kakashi-sensei had slapped a jutsu of some sort on him, as he found himself strangely weary the moment he hit the sheets. Rather than fighting off the urge for slumber any longer, he curled into a fetal position and simply closed his eyes and allowed unconsciousness to take him.