TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Brothers Don't Share Everything by LadyDragon

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:
Archived At:
Nanashi-Inc - nanashi-inc.net
Bonds of Friendship - fanatic.nanashi-inc.net/bonds
deviantART - lady-dragon.deviantart.com
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive - narutofic.org.viewuser.php?uid=158

Author's notes: I'm well aware that most people do not like an abundant use of foreign language mixed in with a story, however, I could not bear to drop the use of honorifics and titles. Some things just do not sound right, nor hold the same meaning when translated. Not much happens in this chapter I'm afraid, but the tone and pace of the story is firmly established so I am fairly pleased with the end result.

This chapter has not been betaed! I'm kind of in need of a beta reader actually. If anyone is feeling up to the job please feel free to drop me a line, just visit my author's page for contact information. Thank you.

Standard Disclaimer: Naruto and it's characters belong to Kishimoto, if I owned it would I be writing fanfiction?
Brothers Don't Share Everything
By Lady Dragon


"The Hokage's power isn't just limited by the individual strengths and weaknesses of the Hokage, but also by the trust that the Hokage's people put into their leader. If there are dissenters within the ranks then the Hokage's power is weakened. Likewise, if those dissenters act on their own, without the Hokage's consent or knowledge then the Hokage's power is severely circumvented by his -"

"Ahem."

"Sorry Sakura-chan, or her- "

"Thank you."

" -own people. The village is only as strong as its leader, and likewise, the leader is only as strong as their village." He paused then, blue eyes staring levelly into obsidian hued orbs, trying to ascertain whether his audience was absorbing what he was trying to convey. Satisfied with what he saw in his teammate's gaze he continued on. "Despite their noble cause, their wish to protect and support Konoha, the existence of Root is actually detrimental to Konoha's survival." Immediately Naruto held up his hands, waving away Sai's interruption and continuing boldly on.

"Root's ideal is to protect Konoha?" A reluctant nod of agreement and he continued on. "This is a good and noble cause, and I'm not arguing that! What I'm saying, Sai, is this: Root is a faction of the shinobi force, Konoha's protectors, that does not follow the Hokage's command, nor are they held accountable to any of the other officials. They follow only the rule of their members, are accountable only to themselves, and pay no attention to the edicts of the village they claim to wish to protect. In short, they are rebels, they disagree with their leader's decisions and instead of using the normal and 'proper' channels to lodge complaints or see changes made they take it upon themselves to do what they think is right with no regard to the plans laid down by the Hokage, or the lives of their fellow shinobi, their teammates, that they put in jeopardy when they are not doing their part."

"Others will see this lack of regard for the Hokage by some and division in the ranks occurs. Soon after emotions run high and the forces fraction and splinter even more. With Konoha's forces divided upon who they should owe their loyalty to and who they actually do owe loyalty to, Konoha is left defenseless."

"Impressive, it would seem you've learned how to actually use your brain instead-"

"Not now bastard," Naruto interrupted not even noticing Sasuke's grunt of irritation at being cut off before turning his attention back to Team seven's fourth member. The so-called emotionless shinobi looked anything but emotionless, as his face clearly portrayed the inner battle he was fighting as he struggled with his loyalties to Root, and his loyalties to his teammates.

Sasuke didn't even understand why Naruto was wasting his time, or for that matter their time, on the worthless teen. Sai might have been chosen as his replacement during his defection, but he was back now, had been back for nearly a year in fact, and still the parasite remained a member of Team Seven. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever. An effective shinobi cell consisted of four members, not five, and Sai was definitely the fifth (and in Sasuke's opinion: and unwanted) wheel.

Now that the village was once again on stable ground and Orochimaru defeated, strength was returning to Konoha. Seeking to clean up the last bits of refuse that could pose a threat to Konoha in the future if left unchecked, Tsunade had turned her eyes inward looking for the threats that lay within Konoha itself. Root's continued existence since its supposed disbandment decades past was a serious problem and one that Tsunade sought to address immediately. Danzou may have been killed by Orochimaru's hand but Root still continued to function. Only a member of Root knew who the other members were, let alone the superiors who handed down missions in Root, and there was only one known member of Root who they had even the slightest chance of getting information from.

Personally, Sasuke thought Sai should have been handed over to Ibiki, an idea he readily voiced when Team Seven (sans Sai) were called into the Hokage's office. It was the first time Sasuke had been on the receiving end of Tsunade's infamous finger flick and Sakura's formidable strength as well. It was the look on Naruto's face at the suggestion though that would stay with him for the rest of his life, a look of utter disappointment and disgust.

Tsunade had assigned the task of convincing Sai to willingly divulge information regarding Root to Team Seven and somewhere along the line the actual job of persuading Sai had been delegated to Konoha's number one most surprising shinobi.

"Naruto-kun, I care about Konoha but I…", he trailed off, emotions once again warring across his face in an alarming display of loss of control. Naruto had managed to do what no other person could have, he had hit the weaknesses in Sai's resolve, whatever they were, and he did it with one good sound argument. It really shouldn't surprise Sasuke that Naruto could do this, but it still did.

"Please Sai, Konoha is still struggling to rebuild itself to its former days, the days before Akatsuki and Orochimaru. Konoha does not need to be torn apart by its own shinobi, and that's exactly what will happen if Root is left to continue on. Believe it."

Black met blue as the two teammates carried on a conversation that went unheard by their other two teammates. Various emotions danced and flickered upon the duo's faces as each struggled to convey to the other what their thoughts and feelings were on the subject. Sakura bit down on her bottom lip as her emerald green eyes danced back and forth between the two teens before her. Sasuke's own eyes couldn't be torn away from the events unfolding before him, but for different reasons. Hands clenched into fists by his side he watched on, entranced and appalled at the same time by what he was seeing.

Once upon a time he was the only person capable of understanding the blonde fox, of conveying whole messages with the barest glance. Now he stood apart from Naruto, unable to predict the blonde's next move, to decipher the meaning of the look on Naruto's face that his replacement grasped with ease. He was now a stranger looking in.

As he watched some unbidden sign passed between the two and the tension that had risen in the air suddenly dissipated. Both teens exhaled wearily and then Sai's shoulders slumped forward as Naruto's hand rose and clasped his teammate's shoulder affectionately.

"Alright, I'll do it. I'll tell the Hokage all that I know of Root and it's members." Sai peered up at Naruto through the fringe of his bangs, a tentative smile tugging at the corner of his lips. His admission was met with an instantaneous whoop from Naruto as he gathered his friend and teammate into his arms and proceeded to hug the dark haired teen in a bone crushing embrace, all the while proclaiming his faith in said teammate at the top of his lungs. Sakura stood next to the two smiling and praising Sai for his decision.

Just like that Sasuke thought bitterly watching his teammates rejoice without him. The risk that Sai took was monumental, it was highly possible that already Root had found about Sai's defection and were moving to eliminate him, but just like that the teen had chosen to throw in his lot with Naruto. Just like that their bond had strengthened and grown.

Just like that I've been replaced.