TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Why You? by Vesvius

[Reviews - 3]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: This is a challenge I took up. Enjoy!
The steady beep-beep of heart monitors sounded throughout the long-term patient ward of Konoha hospital. It had only gotten that way recently, when the mission to retrieve Uchiha Sasuke had concluded. And despite the worries of many about six of the gennin (and the worries of few about Uzumaki Naruto), the mission had been a complete success.

Akamichi Chouji had defeated Jirobo of the Sound Four with his dangerous, life-threatening pills. Hyuuga Neji had destroyed Kidomaru of the same team, blasting his head off with a reinforced jyuken strike. Nara Shikamaru had defeated the lone girl of the team, with aid from Sabaku no Temari, while Inuzuka Kiba and Sabaku no Kankurou had stopped the diabolical twins known as Sakon and Ukon. Finally, as far as the villagers were concerned, the recently recovered Rock Lee and his former foe Sabaku no Gaara had stopped the leader, Kimimaro.

Though that was all that the villagers wanted to think happened, there was one more fight on that mission. It was Uzumaki Naruto, hated fox-demon-vessel of Konoha vs Uchiha Sasuke, supposed victim of kidnapping. That fight had come down to a demon-charged Rasengan against a cursed Chidori. The two had met in an explosion of power, one that rattled the foundations of far off buildings and created a black dome of energy.

Sasuke had wasted no time, and had thrust his Chidori deep into the chest of Naruto. With a scream, the blonde boy had retaliated, changing his Rasengan’s target from Sasuke’s head protector to his left shoulder. The force of the orb had blown his arm clean off, and caused the power surrounding them to dissipate. Naruto had fallen to the ground, bleeding profusely. Sasuke had gone into shock from his missing arm, and sat down limply, staring at his bloody stub.

It was that scene which Hatake Kakashi came to. His trained eye easily saw the chidori wound in Naruto’s chest, but his concern was mostly for his prized pupil, Uchiha Sasuke. Without a second look at the unconscious boy on the ground, Kakashi grabbed the black haired boy and ran back to Konoha.

He returned in record time, rushing into the Hospital twenty minutes later. Sasuke was immediately taken into the intensive care unit, and he was treated by the third and fourth best medics in Konoha. Sasuke was in no life-threatening danger, but the shock of losing his arm had sent him into a coma. He was connected to machines all day and night, ones that kept him alive, and monitored his vital functions.

Almost the entire hospital staff looked through the window into the Uchiha’s room, watching his comatose form slumber. Kakashi was watching with something akin to paternal pride. ‘He’ll pull through this.’ He thought. ‘Sasuke’s too tough to lay like this for the rest of his life.’ As he stared, a pink-haired gennin elbowed her way through the crowd to the spot next to her sensei. “Ah, Sakura.” Kakashi said. “Sasuke’s back, safe and sound.”

Sakura’s eyes gleamed with joy. “YES!” she yelled. “When I see Naruto, I’m going to give him the biggest hug he’s ever gotten!” She looked up at her sensei. “Where is Naruto’s room anyway?”

Kakashi’s next thought was ‘Oh, Shit.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down below in the lobby, Genma barreled in the door. “TSUNADE-SAMA!” he screamed. “WE GOT A LIVE ONE!”

Immediately, the Hokage ran from the medical charts she’d been inspecting to the cry. “Genma!” she yelled when she saw who it was. “You’re still supposed to be in bed! What the hell are you trying to pull!? Why did you-” Her breath and tirade caught in her throat as she saw the bloody bundle that Genma was carrying: Uzumaki Naruto.

Genma began gasping out an explanation as Naruto was grabbed and placed on a stretcher. “*pant* *pant* I went out to see if I could still catch those guys who attacked me, cause *pant* I still had most gotten most of my chakra back. They were all dead as I passed them, but I got to the last battle sight, he was *pant* still lying there, barely breathing. I got him back *pant* here as fast as I could.”

Tsuande had already started working on Naruto. “Good job, Genma. I’m giving you a commendation for this.” She shouted behind her as she wheeled Naruto into the emergency room. There, her hands started glowing with green healing chakra, and she cast a simple diagnosing jutsu. When the results came back, she gasped again. ‘How much chakra did you have to go through to get severe chakra depletion?! Lacerations, Cuts, bruises, and the huge stab wound?! Who the hell did this to you, kid?’ She began treating his injuries, starting with the huge wound in his chest.

Ten minutes later, a panting Tsunade deactivated her healing jutsu. Naruto was finally out of the danger zone, and he should be waking up any moment. But the extent of his injuries had been astronomical, and she would personally kill the one responsible for almost killing her little brother.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Tsunade made her way back to the hospital to check on the people that had returned from the mission. Her first stop was the non-critical patients. Inuzuka Kiba, Nara Shikamaru, and Rock Lee were all fine. Kiba had had a stomach wound which had been closed easily enough, while Shikamaru had a mere broken finger. And all Rock Lee had to do was recover from his surgery, which he should have been doing in the first place!

The second set of rooms, the one with patients who had recently been in life-threatening danger, was more sobering. Akamichi Chouji had successfully been saved, through no small effort of Tsunade’s, and was currently in a deep sleep to recover. Hyuuga Neji had recovered from the huge hole in his chest, and was in a similar state. Seeing two people, who normally would be out enjoying life, in such a state sickened the Hokage.

‘I’m sure Naruto will cheer me up.’ She thought. ‘He’s probably already up, and demanding to be released or given some ramen. Probably the second.’ But when she walked into the room, instead of the loud yells she expected, she heard… nothing. Just silence. As she surveyed the room, which usually held up to six people, she saw it held just one. The other beds were hastily made up, as if the occupants had moved quickly to get away from the last person.

Tsunade focused on the remaining occupied bed, which did hold Uzumaki Naruto. She saw that the bedside table held flowers from the rest of the rookies, as well as other people who Naruto was on good terms with, from Iruka to Konohamaru, to even the old man who cooked his ramen. But when Tsunade looked at Naruto, she knew that something was wrong. Naruto’s eyes were wide open, and he was staring at the ceiling, as if it held the answers to all questions in life. Worried, Tsuande took the direct approach.

“OY! GAKI!” She yelled. “WAKE UP!” When that got no results, she waved her hand in front of his eyes. Nothing happened, even blinking. Seriously worried now, Tsunade cast another diagnostic jutsu, but it showed that Naruto’s body was completely fine. “If this is a joke,” she muttered, “It’s really not funny.” With only one possibility, besides it being a bad joke, Tsunade left the room, looking for Yamanaka Inoichi.

She found him soon, visiting Shikamaru and Chouji along with their fathers. “Inoichi!” she called when she saw him. “Good to see you’re here! I’ve got an important task for you.” Inoichi straightened, and nodded for her to continue. “One of the gennin from yesterday’s mission might be in mental trauma. You’re the most qualified to help him, so come on!” She began to walk back to Naruto’s room, but she was stopped by Inoichi raising a hand.

“I’ve seen the five gennin here, and they need no mental help. That leaves Uchiha Sasuke and Uzumaki Naruto. And I can tell you that the Uchiha is currently in a state of shock, something you’ve already determined. That leaves only Uzumaki, and I refuse to help him.” Inoichi stated in a calm voice. The conscious gennin in the room looked at him as if he were crazy.

“But Yamanaka-san,” Shikamaru began, “Naruto was key to our mission, and he’s a very good friend to all of us. Why won’t you help him?”

Inoichi looked at Shikamaru coldly. “That I won’t is all you need to know. It would have been better for us all if that… thing had expired on the battlefield.” With that statement, Inoichi walked out of the room.

Tsunade stared at the door blankly. One of her most dedicated Jounin had just refused to help Naruto, solely because of his furry little problem! Tsunade tried to contain her rage, but a vein began pulsing in her temple, and she began clenching and unclenching her fists. A tug on her sleeve caused her to spin around and growl “WHAT?!”

Yamanaka Ino jumped backwards, terrified of the look on the Hokage’s face. Tsunade immediately began to calm herself, and said, “Sorry about that. What is it that you wanted, Ino?”

Ino swallowed deeply. “Hokage-sama, I have the same abilities that my father does. They’re just not as strong yet, or as well controlled. But if you’ll let me try, I can see what I can do for Naruto.”

The Godaime took another deep breath, and said “That’s a very generous offer, Ino. Are you sure you’re willing to help?” Ino nodded. “Ok then, follow me.” Tsunade walked briskly out of the room, with Ino jogging behind her to keep up.

They got to Naruto’s room quickly, and Ino took a seat next to Naruto. She was about to perform Shintenshin no Jutsu, but was stopped by Tsunade touching her shoulder. “Ino, once you get into Naruto’s mind, you’ll have knowledge of an S-rank secret that’s not to be revealed to anyone. Also, if you find yourself in ANY danger whatsoever, pull out immediately. Understoood?” Confused, Ino nodded, then resumed her prior stance.

“Shintenshin no Jutsu!” she yelled. Her spirit shot out into the prone form of Uzumaki Naruto.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing Ino noted in Naruto’s mind was the condition of it. Most people’s minds were seen as a large orb, which floated in a space of inky blackness. By touching different parts of the orb, Ino could bring up certain memories. She could also just dive into the center of the orb, temporarily overshadowing the target. So most people’s minds were a large, unblemished orb. Naruto’s was… not.

It was a field of glistening shards, twinkling a dark light. There was a small orb still floating in the middle, but unlike other minds, it was a dark crimson. Looking at it sent chills down Ino’s spine. Wrenching her eyes away from the malevolent sphere, Ino took in the literal shards of Naruto’s mind. The meaning was clear: Naruto had undergone something so terrible that his mind had literally fragmented, separating his thoughts and memories, literally his self, from his body functions!

With a gasp, she broke the jutsu, and was sent back to her own body. The concerned eyes of the Godaime looked at her, and they filled with horror when Ino said “His mind… It’s broken!”

“What do you mean, broken?”

“Literally, his mind is in pieces. I could see fragments of it everywhere, and there was this creepy red mind which…” she stammered out. Words couldn’t express the terror that looking at the red orb had filled her with.

Tsunade was momentarily filled with pity for the young girl in front of her. But the most important thing right now was Naruto’s psyche, not the girls fear of Kyuubi. “Can you fix him?” she asked forcefully.

Ino thought for a second, shaking her head to clear the remnants of fear. “I… think so. It’ll take me a while, and it’ll be tiring, but I should be able to.”

Tsunade nodded. “Do it. This is an A-class mission, and you will receive payment as such.” Ino gasped, then quickly went back into the seal for Shintenshin. A moment later, she was back inside Naruto’s mind.

This time, she didn’t waste a moment staring around. She hurriedly scanned the area, looking a place to start. Ino had been studying how to do this for a while, ever since she learned Shintenshin no Jutsu. There! There was the giant piece that was his body functions, directly next to the equally giant piece that was his subconscious. Ino breathed a sigh of relief. If the subconscious was fragmented, it was near impossible to recollect. With a thought, she joined the two pieces together, where they were supposed to be.

That left one giant piece, over half of Naruto’s mind, reconnected. It also left over a hundred smaller pieces, ones that represented his memory and personality. Squaring her astral shoulders, Ino began.

Naruto’s personality was next. Some parts were easy to put together, like his deep love of ramen and steadfast loyalty. She knew that much about him. Hell, anyone who spent twenty seconds with him knew that about him. But as she fit the pieces together, Ino frowned. This couldn’t be right! But all the pieces pointed towards that. Naruto’s personality was anything but the happy, carefree guy she always thought he was on the inside.

Inside, Naruto was dark, depressed, and longing for anyone, anyone at all, to show him any small amount of human kindness. The part of his mind that contained hate was small, and it fit in nicely with the large part that was the urge to prove himself. His capacity for kindness and love was gigantic, and his patience was large. As the shape of Naruto’s personality came together, it made no sense to Ino.

On the outside, he was happy, idiotic, and very, very annoying. But everything on the inside of Naruto said that he was quiet , had a very cunning mind (when it wasn’t broken), and a shy, gentle, loving, nature. Exactly how Sasuke would be. Or, how Ino pictured Sasuke might be on the inside.

Ino was growing more and more confused by the enigma that was Uzumaki Naruto. He had a fake personality that he displayed to the outside world, and a more subtle, complex one on the inside. But his personality was completely reassembled. Maybe his memories would shed some light on his confusing persona.

She ‘grabbed’ a shard to place it within its proper place in the orb. But as soon as her mind brushed it, she was sent careening into Naruto’s memory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Please, ma’am, can I have some food? The others stole mine.” A three year-old Naruto asked.

The woman in charge of the orphanage looked down at him with disgust. “Why do you make up such foul lies?!” she shrieked. “Not one of these sweet children would ever do something like that, brat! You’re just a greedy little bastard!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino recoiled from the memory, and placed it in its correct postion. Was this what Naruto’s childhood had been like? Curious despite herself, she grabbed another shard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A five-year old Naruto was lying facedown in the street. A searing pain burned in his ribs, as the man kept kicking and kicking him. “I’ll kill you, you foul beast!” he yelled, and drew back his heavy boot for another shot.

Naruto cried and curled up in a little ball, clutching his ribs. He was pretty sure they were broken. He knew that feeling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, Ino gasped in horror at the scene. She hastily shoved it in it’s place, and looked around for something that looked relatively harmless. There was one that looked relatively painless! She snagged it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Stay away from that boy, Kiba!” a lady said, and grabbed the boy Naruto had just been playing with. “He’s bad, very bad, and you don’t want to be anywhere near him!”

Naruto looked blankly after the boy and his dog. He should have known better then to come to playground today. This had happened before, so many times that it only brought a dull stinging sensation instead of the pain he had always felt before. Out of the corner of his eye, the eight-year old Naruto saw two girls looking at him from the nearby bench.

“What a loser.” The pink haired one whispered to her blonde friend.

“I know. No wonder no one likes him!” the blonde responded. With a slump of his shoulders, Naruto walked slowly away towards his apartment. But he knew he wouldn’t make it. It was time for his weekly beating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino felt herself starting to cry. ‘Did I really do that?’ she asked herself. ‘How could I be so… bitchy?!’ In panic now, Ino looked around for a happy memory. She needed something happy to counteract that last image, or she’d go insane. With a sigh of relief, she spotted one that was much brighter then all the others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, Naruto-kun,” The Sandaime Hokage said. “We have some good news for you.” Nine-Year old Naruto looked up at the aged ninja. “We’ve managed to get you into the academy!”

A giant smile crossed Naruto’s face. “Really, Oji-san? Thanks! That rocks!”

“It was nothing, Naruto-kun.” The Sandaime said, happiness in his eyes. “Looking after the people is the Hokage’s job.”

Naruto looked up at him. “Then… I’ll be Hokage, and make everyone happy!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A small sigh crossed escaped from Ino. The pure joy that Naruto had felt washed over her, and a small smile crossed her face. Carelessly, she grabbed another memory, not worrying about whether it were happy or sad. ‘After all,’ she thought. ‘He got into the academy. Everything should be fine after that.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Uzumaki!” A chunin teacher yelled. “What the hell are you doing?”

“I’m practicing my Henge sir.” He said in confusion. Was that a problem?

“Right outside of the girls locker room? A likely story!”

“But sir, I’m ten! I don’t care about girls!”

“Yeah, right. Detention!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino shuddered. ‘Well, that wasn’t that bad. Looks like things did actually get better. The smile still clinging to her face, she reached for the next memory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, loser.” One of the larger boys said. “Why do you suck so much?” The question was punctuated by a punch to the gut. Eleven-year old Naruto winced, and tried to defend himself, but the boy’s friends were holding his arms behind his back.

“Naruto!” a teacher yelled. The boys hastily dropped Naruto, and stood innocently. “How many times have I told you not to bother anyone! You’re lucky the Hokage makes me let you be here! Detention!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino winced again. “Maybe things didn’t get better…” she mumbled. Looking around, she spotted another relatively happy memory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Naruto!” Iruka called. “Hurry up! If you don’t beat me there, you’ll have to buy me ramen!” Naruto grunted, and sped up his pace, trying to beat Iruka to Ichiraku.

“I’m not buying you nothing!” Naruto yelled. “You’re buying me lunch, breakfast and dinner! And maybe brunch!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino chuckled at that. Good old Iruka-sensei. She had always known he was close to Naruto, but until seeing that, she had never understood how close. Iruka was the one good thing Naruto remembered from the academy, Ino realized as she finished organizing his academy memories. That left only memories from when he became a gennin, then she could jump start his brain to get it running again.

In her rush to get it done, Ino scooped up the first one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Don’t you want to know why everyone hates you?” Mizuki asked from a tree branch. “It’s because you are the Kyuubi no Kitsune, the demon that attacked us 13 years ago!”

Naruto blanched in shock. ‘I can’t be the demon, I’m a boy!’

Mizuki continued. “The demon is within you, making you just like it! A DEMON!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino stopped in shock. Naruto had a demon within him! All of a sudden, everything made sense: the hatred from the adults, Naruto being an orphan, the sudden surges of power he got sometimes, the secrecy the Hokage had sworn her to before allowing her into Naruto’s head. Still stunned, Ino dove back into the memory, determined to see the end of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I do hate the fox!” Iruka said. “It’s a pestilence, and a plague on this village! But for the boy, Uzumaki Naruto, I hold nothing but respect! He’s a proud citizen of Konoha!”

Mizuki sneered, and charged Iruka, ready to deliver the final blow. But Naruto, who had watched the scene from the trees, dove in front of Iruka, and delivered a hard kick to the traitors skull.

“You touch Iruka-sensei, and I’LL KILL YOU!” Naruto yelled. He formed his hands into a cross. “KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino watched the rest of the memory, concluding with Iruka graduating Naruto. ‘Well, that explains how he graduated. And how he learned Kage Bunshin.’ Inside her mind, Ino was slowly beginning to appreciate and respect Uzumaki Naruto, and all he had done. Taking a deep breath, Ino grabbed hold of Naruto’s memories, so many that they all blurred together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You ready?” A bloody Naruto said, staring at a bandage-wrapped ninja. “Then let’s go wild!”

Naruto hunched over in rage, staring at the dead corpse of Sasuke. He stood up, and his eyes flashed with demonic light. “I’LL KILL YOU!” he screamed in a deep voice.

“You know,” Naruto said, looking at the boy whose mask had just broken. “If things had been different, we probably would have been friends.”

“Doesn’t anyone want to know my name?” Naruto shouted. The red-haired sand kid walked away with a ‘no’.

“I DON’T QUIT, and I DON’T RUN!” Naruto screamed at the scarred proctor of the first exam.

“Are you OK… you coward?” A glaring Naruto panted at the pale Sasuke.

“U-ZU-MA-KI NARUTO RENDEN!”

“PERVERT!” Naruto yelled at the old man peeping through the hot springs fence.

“No one as small as you could summon me!” the giant toad scoffed as he looked at the much smaller boy.

“Stop whining about stupid crap like that,” Naruto murmured to a fallen Hyuuga prodigy. “Since… you’re not a loser like me.”

“We’ve gotta protect Sakura-chan! Get him away from her!” Naruto yelled at the toad he was standing on.

“I… won the bet, old hag.” Naruto gasped out, looking at Tsunade as she tried to save his life.

“When I’m with you… I wonder if that’s what it’s like to have a brother.” Naruto cried out as he faced the Uchiha.

Kakashi glanced over at the semi-conscious Naruto, bleeding slowly to death from the giant hole in his chest. Then, without a second glance, he picked up the Uchiha prodigy, who Naruto knew was in no danger, and ran off with him towards Konoha. An anguished cry came out of his mouth, his sanity going with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino withdrew from Naruto, gasping and shuddering. She felt a hand on her shoulder, and spun around to see the Godaime looking at her with concerned eyes. “Are you ok?” she asked worridly.

“I-I’m fine.” Ino gasped out.

“And him?”

“I’ve fixed his mind, and he should be back to normal any time now. But first, there’s a memory or two I need to share with you.” She formed the seals for a memory transfer jutsu, and touched Tsunade’s arm. Tsunade gasped as the memories of the Valley of the End hit her. When the flow stopped, her eyes hardened.

She nodded firmly at Ino. “Thank you very much for your assistance. The pay for an A-class mission, plus an extra C-class espionage mission shall be transferred to your account. You can go back to your friends now.”

“I’d actually like to stay here with him, I mean if that’s ok with you.” Ino hastily added on. She needed to stay. Something inside of her was driving her to say.

A ghost of a smile crossed Tsunade’s face. “Sure.” The small smile disappeared, and the hard look returned. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some very unpleasant business to take care of.” With that, she stormed out of the room.

Ino stared after her for a second, but a deep breath from the bed behind her caught her attention. Naruto was waking up! She spun around, and saw him looking around, confused as to his surroundings. His eyes settled on her. They widened in surprise, as he said “Hi Ino! What’re you doing here?”

The blonde girl studied his deep eyes for a second. On the surface, they were confused, expectant, happy. But in their depths, she could see the tortured soul that was inside, the one that would do anything for anyone to love him. Damn the consequences! She had to do something to erase at least some of his pain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsunade stormed through the hospital towards the top floor, the long-term observation room. What she had just seen ran through the forefront of her mind, the memories accompanied by the emotions of Tsunade herself. The horror, the shock, the sympathetic pain, and the rage. Oh, most definitely the rage. She reached her goal quickly: the room of Uchiha Sasuke, still surrounded by doctors and nurses who wanted to make sure everything was absolutely perfect.

Tsunade bowled through the crowd, into the room. She looked around, and saw three ninja who looked slightly less then sympathetic to the Uchiha: Genma, still staggering around despite doctors orders, Shizune, here because it was her job, and Shikamaru, who was staring at Sasuke in disgust. The Godaime beckoned the three in, and sent everyone else out, locking the door and closing the drapes on the windows.

“I’ve called you three in because I need three witnesses to do this. So let’s make this official. Shiranui Genma, Nara Shikamaru, Shizune, you three are here as witnesses to the execution of a traitor.” At that pronouncement, Shizune’s jaw dropped, Genma showed no expression whatsoever, and Shikamaru looked oddly pleased.

“Uchiha Sasuke, traitor to Konoha, has attempted to defect, taking our village’s secrets with him. He has also attempted to kill one of our villages shinobi when they tried to retrieve him peacefully, one Uzumaki Naruto. For these crimes, he has been sentenced by the Godaime Hokage to death by lethal injection.” She produced a small syringe from a medical pouch. “Do any of you object?”

Shikamaru shook his head immediately. Naruto was one of his better friends, and anyone that tried to kill him was immediately sentenced to death in Shikamaru’s eyes. Genma muttered a “no” right after that. He had been a Konoha Shinobi for years, and any traitor, no matter who he was, deserved death. Finally, a few moments after, Shizune shook her head as well. Naruto was like a little brother to her as well, but she didn’t like seeing anyone die. But she knew this was necessary.

With a quick stab, a press of the plunder, Uchiha Sasuke died.

Tsunade nodded at the three witnesses, then walked out of the room into the middle of the crowd. The gathering was still hovering around, wondering what the hell was going on. The strong voice of the Godaime rang out, “Uchiha Sasuke has been executed for crimes against Konoha! You may disperse!”

A simultaneous gasp came from every single member of the crowd. Most of them walked away a moment later, determined to get the story out of the witnesses or the Godaime herself later. The exceptions were Kakashi and Sakura, who were both still gaping. Tsunade patted the pink-haired girl on the shoulder. “Go and see your true teammate and friend. He’ll need you now.” The crying girl sobbed out an affirmative, and walked away towards Naruto’s room. Kakashi moved to follow her, but Tsunade’s next words stopped him, and sent a chill down his spine. “Kakashi, you’ve got serious explaining to do.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sakura staggered back down Tsunade had come from. Her mind was spinning. ‘What did Sasuke-kun do to get executed?! It couldn’t possibly have been that bad! I know! I’ll ask Naruto! He’ll tell me, and then I can go explain to the Hokage what she did wrong!’ With that reassuring thought, she wiped the tears out of her eyes and continued to walk. Soon, she reached a sign that said ‘Uzumaki’ outside a door, and she quickly opened the door and walked in.

The sight that met her eyes shocked her. Inner Sakura asked her a question that she couldn’t answer: ‘Um… Why is Naruto kissing Ino?’