TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


quixotism by littleolmee

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: chapter is now betaed.
Blanket disclaimer: I do not claim any rights to Naruto or any characters associated with the anime/manga. They are the property of Masashi Kishimoto. I do claim rights to any and all original characters that appear in this story.

AUTHOR NOTE TO SET UP STORY LINE: Quixotism means extravagantly chivalrous or foolishly idealistic. Summary: After traveling for over 4yrs with Jiraiya & merging with the Kyuubi, Naruto returns to Konoha. With Orochimaru's death Sasuke has been saved but at the price of his memories. Story is about Naruto & Sasuke trying to repair their friendship and find more with each other. If you follow the manga everything to volume 30 chapter 282 is how it is portrayed in the manga. For this story Naruto did not stay in the village, but went with Jiraiya to travel again. Taking another 2 1/2 years away from the village. During that time he has merged with Kyuubi. He is now returning to Konoha. Sasuke was not taken as Orochimaru's body the reasons why will be explained in the story. After Orochimaru is killed, Sasuke is brought back to Konoha suffering from amnesia. All of this is discussed in the story. Story is basically about Naruto returning, and Sasuke and Naruto trying to make things how they should have been between them.

A/N WARNING *PLEASE READ*: This story will be taking place after manga volume 30 chapter 282. Anything happening after said chapter will not come into play for this story, events after said chapter have been altered along with adding new elements and situations from my own imagination. I got the idea for this story after reading the pilot manga for Naruto. There will be cursing and adult situations including: slash pairing (boy X boy), hentai (boy X girl), fight scenes, and character death in the story. Pairings include: (Yond X OC-hentai), (Kak X Iru-slash), (Lee X Sak-hentai), (Sas X Nar-slash), (Shika X Chouji-slash-hinted at). Additional warnings will appear on chapters when adult situations beyond cursing are contained. Japanese words used will have a translation at the bottom of the page. If you are offended by any of the previous items warned about, not of age to be reading such material, or are not wanting to read spoilers then please push the back button now. Don't forget to review. Please no flaming, anything not to your liking expressed in this warning is your clue to push the back button. Thank you for taking the time to read this A/N. I hope you'll go on to give the story a look and will be entertained by it, take care! Littleolmee . . . .

ADDITIONAL WARNING AS OF 08-05-06: This chapter is a repost. It has now had the care of a beta. In this chapter the relationship between Naruto's father(Yondaime X Nar's mother-hentai) is touched on in this chapter. I do not claim that this is Naruto's actual parentage it is just what I will use for the story.

My deepest thanks to Jaded Lady for her work as beta on this story. I appreciate all your hard work.

'thinking'
"talking"


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~




Picking up a stick that lay nearby Jiraiya poked at the fire he had built earlier in the evening. Watching as small sparks popped off causing reddish orange flames to flare to life and begin licking at the wood once again. Looking around as much as he could in the firelight, he thanked their good luck for allowing him and his traveling companion the find of this small peaceful clearing to set up camp for the evening. A clear sweet creek ran just over the gravel bank where they had set up the fire ring. Surrounding the bank grew long soft grass, which they pushed over providing them with extra cushioning for their sleeping bags. 'I'll have to keep this place in mind, if we hadn't already wasted so much time in Sunagakure I'd try and talk him into staying here for a few days.' Laying the stick back where it had been he shifted around on his bedroll making himself more comfortable.

A contented sigh from his young companion caught the older man's notice. Turning his attention to his sleeping comrade Jiraiya smiled fondly at the sight of his student burrowed under his blankets; only his face and one hand peeked out from under the covers that the boy had wrapped around him. 'He still looks as innocent and young as when we first meet.' The older man amusingly thought, though he quickly reminded himself that looks were deceiving, but he continued to smile affectionately at the sleeping boy.

Leaning back on an old log he had situated behind him Jiraiya reminded himself that the boy couldn't really be considered a boy anymore, at least not in normal human terms. 'Sheesh, Naruto will turn eighteen on his next birthday. He really isn't the same little 12-year-old brat I first took as a student.' The old hermit thought proudly, remembering how even back then Naruto had no fears, not caring who Jiraiya was the boy held nothing back yelling at him and calling him a pervert. The blonde enigma went so far as to make sure Jiraiya took notice of him by showing off his Oiroke no Jutsu just to garner help with learning chakra control. Jiraiya pinched his nose trying to prevent the nosebleed that threatened when he thought of that particular technique.

Of course after that Naruto had his attention, the boy proved too interesting for him to dismiss. The undersized brat shoved his way under Jiraiya's skin and before he knew what hit him the old bachelor found the boy had moved right into a spot within his heart. The older man thought back on all the years the two of them had been together, still able to see the small blonde 12-year-old boy trailing after him making a pest of himself and demanding training. "Ano sa, ano sa. . . Ero Sennin, Ero Sennin you promised you'd teach me some cool new technique." He could even hear the boy's voice in his head. 'Kami, I'm going to miss this kid.' He admitted to himself, shaking his head sadly at how attached he had grown over the years.

They were finally heading back to Konoha; it had been over two years since they left the village this last time. Counting all the time the two had spent as student and sensei they had over four years under their belts together on the road as wanderers. The first time Jiraiya had taken Naruto with him out of the village it had been after Sarutobi-sama death. They went in seach of Tsunade-hime so she could take the position of Hokage.

After the loss of Uchiha Sasuke to Orochimaru, Naruto had been determined to bring his friend back. Swearing he'd go through hell itself to gain the strength to save his friend. That had been Naruto’s reason for following Jiraiya. For Jiraiya knew it was his place to protect the blonde Jinchuuriki against the Akatsuki, who would stop at nothing to capture the boy to possess the Kyuubi noYouko. When they returned two and half years later Naruto, close to 15-years old at the time, was sent out on a mission to save Gaara; the Akatsuki had abducted the KazeKage who, like the blonde shinobi was a jinchuuriki, thankfully they had been able to save him.

In a strange twist of fate it was that very group they had to thank for giving them more time to save Sasuke from Orochimaru. When the time came for the criminal ninja to take Sasuke's body, it had been the Akatsuki that had delayed Orochimaru long enough to make him take Kabuto as his host body. This gave Sasuke and them around three more years before the bastard could switch bodies again. The problem then was that after Garaa was saved Konoha's council had determined to not allow Naruto to fight the Akatsuki or go after Sasuke anymore. The night after Tsunade's meeting with the council representatives, she and Jiraiya met in his room at the inn where he was staying for a few drinks to talk 'as friends'.

. . . . Flashback . . . . .

Tsunade explained over sake what the council wanted to do with Naruto, chugging down her drink the Godaime slammed her cup on the table. "Those idiots want me to put Naruto on a four-man squad and have him just do simple missions. So as to protect him and keep the Akatsuki from getting their hands on him." She had explained.

Crossing his arms over his chest Jiraiya snorted at her. "Like the brat is going to sit still for that. You know he has it in his head that he is going to go out and save his friend." Tsunade sighed putting her elbows on the table and clasped her hands together in front of her. "I know and in my opinion I don't think anyone but Naruto could reach Sasuke. Still the council has spoken, even I must listen to them." She admitted rolling her eyes. "They also threw the fact that the boy is still only a Genin at me." She was stopped by Jiraiya shooting out of his seat and slamming his hands down on the table in anger, raising one hand he made a cutting motion through the air like he was cutting away the words she had just uttered. "Give me a break!" The frog Sennin exclaimed. "We both know that while Naruto is Genin in rank, he isn't that in skill." Huffing as if his own honor were insulted, Jiraiya sat back down tapping the table with one finger to emphasis his point. "The boy has lived over two years with me on the road training and fighting. Hell, I've fought beside and sparred against the boy, I know that boy's not just a Genin in skill." An outraged Jiraiya explained.

Sighing again the fifth Hokage reached for the bottle they were sharing, pouring some in each of their cups she sat the bottle back down. "I believe you." She calmly admitted bringing the cup to her lips. "Hell, I know the brat shouldn't be Genin in rank, if only half of what the others on the mission said was true then Naruto has more then proven himself in skill, but my hands are still tied." Tsunade said gulping another cup of sake.

Picking up his cup and rolling his eyes, Jiraiya took a drink. "This type of crap is why I wasn't willing to take the job." He admitted reaching for the bottle, refilling their cups and raising his to make a toast. "I'll take being a hermit any day thank you very much." Picking up her cup and clicking hers to his, she smiled saying, "to the simple life." The frog Sennin nodded as they both finished their drinks.

Looking over his cup Jiraiya questioned her. "Tell me honestly Tsunade. . .do you really believe the boy could learn and improve here in the sort of setting the council wants to put him in?" Tsunade shook her head at her old teammate and friend. "I'm sure there is something he could learn from the vast number of talented ninjas we have here in the village. Do you truly believe you have more to teach him out on the road?" Smirking at his friend Jiraiya admitted. "While it's true, I don't have much more I can teach him. . . ." Bringing his index finger up he tapped his lower lip. "I do know a lot of other Sennins. Like you and I were before this Hokage business, they are out wandering around just enjoying life. I'm sure I could get them to train the boy and of course I'd continue to keep him safe." He assured her dropping his finger and smiling at her.

Returning the smile Tsunade stood proceeding to walk past her still seated friend ignoring his questioning look, standing by his side she laying a hand on his shoulder leaning over she whispered in his ear. "You do realize I haven't officially given Naruto or you any new orders yet. Kakashi isn't in any condition at this time to lead Naruto, so that means you could easily retake that position. As his sensei you are responsible for doing what you believe is best for the boy." Jiraiya turned to give her a smirk at her suggestion. "Just make sure to have him write me occasionally so I know he's well. You know how much that brat means to me." Tsunade suggested straightening up and leaving Jiraiya still seated at the small table inside his room.

. . . . End flashback . . . .

Coming out of his memories Jiraiya knew Naruto had been sad to leave his home and friends so soon, but agreed he would never be able to fulfill his goals if he stayed. So the next day before the sun had a chance to fully rise they left, leaving a note for Tsunade that Jiraiya had decided to go back on the road with his student. Naruto had even left his mark on the note in the form of a smiley frog picture, which he based off his wallet, wishing his friends well.

They spent more than two years since that time traveling and training together; the years had been interesting to say the least. Naruto could boast that he had learned all that Jiraiya had to teach him as far as ninja techniques were concerned as well as having had the privilege of being taught by some of the greatest ninja's still living today. These were people like Tsunade and himself who had been living as Sennin's, those who traveled outside of their home villages while remaining loyal to them.

They had been extremely lucky to say the least in having been able to talk most of the Sennin’s they had come across into teaching Naruto; these people did not usually train others, well not unless they took a liking to you. Not that it was a problem for Naruto; the boy just naturally made people end up liking him. It worked in his favor since it allowed the boy to learn from those that very few had the benefit of learning from.

While Naruto did seem to learn a lot from the Sennin's they had found to teach him. Their second year away from Konoha had changed everything for the boy. That year Naruto had completely merged with the kitsune spirit.

. . . . Flashback . . . .

It had been almost a year since they had left Konoha again. Naruto and his internal guest had been merging. Thanks to that joining the kitsune found the ability to project himself while Naruto was in a trance giving him a chance to speak with Jiraiya concerning what changes would occur to the boy since they were no longer separate beings. The kitsune appeared as a ghostly apparition in the form of a man. A man with long flaming red hair, claws, fangs and pointed ears but a man all the same. The old frog master had been shocked to find himself face to face with the kitsune ghost in humanoid form… all right, in truth he almost pissed himself.

During their conversation Jiraiya had been able to find out the reason behind the spirit's attack on the Hidden Leaf Village all those years ago. It seemed some men from the village had been out hunting and came upon the kit belonging to Kyuubi, its' mother had not lived through the birthing. In an act of ignorance and in the great kitsune spirit's mind, plain evil they had killed the kit just as he was returning with food for his son. When he realized what had happened he chased after them and was lead to the village where in his sorrow and grief at the loss of his son began to attack. The kitsune spirit told Yondaime the fourth Hokage, what had happened as they fought and the ninja admitted that he too had just lost someone that day as well. That is when the kitsune was sealed inside of Naruto, but during the sealing when he was pulled through the blonde haired shinobi by the Death God he was bombarded by the man's memories giving him the knowledge of the ninja's pain and lose.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a trip to one of the neighboring villages Konoha's Yondaime met a young girl who quickly struck his interest, the girl had no family and was thrilled to have such an attractive man showing interest in her. One thing had lead to another resulting in the girl carrying his child. The Hokage had not known this until she traveled to Konoha showing up in his office already in labor just hours before the kitsunes attack. The poor girl did not survive childbirth leaving the man alone to raise a son, just as he was trying to explain things to Sarutobi, he was alerted that a demon kitsune was attacking.

When it became apparent during the fight that there was no way to stop Kyuubi, the young Hokage decided in a last ditch effort to save the village to give up his life to kill the creature. He soon realized even with his young age and power there was no way he could pull all of the spirit out of the kitsune to kill the creature. While they fought, the Yondaime was made aware of why the kitsune attacked his village. Changed his mind on what to do with the creature, Konoha's Hokage had the Gods of Death draw the creature’s spirit out of his body and hold it. Going to his newborn son he placed the seal on the child's stomach pushing Kyuubi inside him. As the kitsune spirit was pushed within the child, he instructed Sarutobi on a first name for the boy and his hopes the village would see him as their savior and hero for becoming the container for the great kitsune spirit. As he finished the jutsu the God of Death called forth his price taking the young man life before he could tell Sarutobi the truth of his connection with the boy. The one regret the young shinobi felt as he gave up his life for his people was that he had not had the time to gift the boy with his surname.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


"While the man was sealing me within the boy he offered his son to replace my own asking me to look out for him and protect him with my power. It was not until later in the boy's life did I begin to happily lend my power to him." Kyuubi said as he bowed his head in shame of having ignored the boy. "I was still hurting at my own loss so I did not pay attention to the boy, but looking back I wish I had. He was never physically harmed by anyone but he never knew much kindness either." Blood red eyes locked with Jiraiya as the specter raised his face to continue. "Since the young one and I are merging I have decided to take his human sire up on his offer. Naruto will now be mine, I will accept him as my kit and all others of our kind will recognize him as mine as well. He will be equally human and kitsune spirit, meaning he will still have his human heart and be himself but he will also have the gifts that come from being part spirit."

Jiraiya was finding it hard to accept that this creature, even if he had just given a pretty decent reason why it gone on a rampage against their village, would now simply go out of its way to help Naruto. "You damn youmo do you expect me to believe that you have just up and decided to give Naruto all these gifts as you call them out of the kindness of your heart? I don't believe you would do such a thing and get nothing in return."

Kyuubi grinned, showing off his sharp fangs. "Human, you are mistaken I am a youkai not a youmo." Staring at the human like creature in front of him, the Sennin reached up with his pinky to his ear jiggling it a bit. "Huh?" He intelligently replied. "Must I explain your own language to you?" The spirit asked condescendingly as he went on to explain. "A youmo is a ghost, I may be closer to one of those now that I am sealed within this boy but, I assure you before this I was a kitsune youkai." Not seeing where the conversation was going Jiraiya shrugged his shoulders indifferently as he shook his head. "So what, are you trying to say there is a difference?" Kyuubi sighed, "perhaps not to a human but, to me there is. My kind are not evil incarnated as you humans tend to believe about anything you don't understand. We are spirits of nature not evil ghost come in search of virgin sacrifices. Why do you think your Hokage placed me within the boy? He understood the difference and my grievance against your kind plus he knew there was no way to pull all of me within the God of Death, he only had the power to transfer my soul out of my own body into the boy's."

Jiraiya's mind tried to wander off a bit at the virgin sacrifice part but he quickly returned to the problem at hand. He wasn't sure that he could do anything against Kyuubi no matter what he really was youmo or youkai but Jiraiya wasn't going to let anyone hurt Naruto without a fight from him.

"Well, what are you planning on doing to the boy? I'm not going to sit and watch you hurt him." The Sennin threatened. "Why would you all of a sudden decide to take the boy as your son?" Smirking the kitsune questioned. "You don't trust me do you human?"

Jiraiya narrowed his eyes at the creature in front of him, what could he say he didn't trust him but he was beginning to understand not to insult him, it might be worse for Naruto if he did. Receiving no answer Kyuubi widened his smirk as it turned into the same mischievous grin Jiraiya had often seen Naruto wear. "It is not that I blame you, our kinds have long been at odds and distrust is natural on both sides." The humanoid spirit admitted suddenly finding his claws interesting. "I personally do not see much worth in your kind." The fiery creature explained examining his nails. Jiraiya held his tongue; he could tell the creature was finding humor in his uneasiness.

As suddenly as the playful mood had come Kyuubi wiped off all traces of it turning he gestured back to Naruto. "He is different than most of your kind though, he has the personality traits of a youkai. It could be my influence being placed within him from birth and having little human contact or that may be his natural self. I know not which it is but I find him worthy to be my offspring."

Kyuubi sighed and shook his head at the older human. "You misunderstand . . . my gift is just that, a gift. I will gain as well but my gain is not as much as the kit is receiving from me." The creature explained waving one hand in a dismissing manner.

Snorting Jiraiya crossed his arms over his chest. "Out with it, what do you gain? Answer truthfully or I'll find a way to stop this I swear. I won't allow you to use Naruto." In a very humanlike expression the fox rolled his eyes. "Calm yourself human . . . while I do find your protection of this young one admirable, do not assume to push me." Kyuubi responded speaking to Jiraiya as if he were a child throwing a tantrum.

"Fully merging with this human and giving him the title of my offspring will allow him to gain a place of acceptance with my kind along with knowledge, power and my original life span. What I will gain is I will no longer be doomed within a being that will pass from this plane of existence in a mere blink of my eye. As well as when the kit gets old enough and takes a mate then I will be able to pass myself along as well in his offspring." The great fox explained slowly figuring a human would need time to understand what he was giving.

As what the spirit was saying settled within his mind, Jiraiya exploded. "What, you plan to leave Naruto and enter another innocent? NO, I will not allow this!"

Kyuubi had hoped it was just Naruto that was slow and not every human but it seemed that stupidity ran rampant in humankind. Sighing he calmly spoke again ignoring Jiraiya's threat. "Fool . . . I did not say I would leave the boy. If I have my life span back and he has my power why would I leave to just start again? Besides the seal will not allow me to leave the boy's body nor do I have one to return to. No, I will pass myself on in the next generation the same as he will, the same as any who have offspring do." Jiraiya tried to wrap his mind on the information and asked. "You mean you will pass some of your own genes onto any children Naruto would father the same as he will?" Finally Kyuubi smiled; glad the human wasn't as stupid as he had at first thought. "Yes, his offspring will share in my power since it is now Naruto's power as well. Surely this fact will make him more desirable to potential mates." The kitsune explained his thinking as he gave Jiraiya a foxy grin.

"Besides human, you have not the power to stop the merger. Even I do not have the power to stop it and that is just fine with me. Call it a side effect of the jutsu your human leader used trying to seal one such as me, it was foolish of your Yondaime to think he could permanently seal away a creature of nature, like myself. Unfortunately I am a prisoner here; incapable of leaving and the merger is happening, nothing can be done to stop it. I am as you see me now, without a real body. Would you rather the two of us fight for control of this one body?" Kyuubi asked looking back at Naruto still in his trance like state. "I know the boy well and if I tried to take him over he has enough strength of will that the fight would leave him in a catatonic state. Call it my preference to give the boy my powers making him my heir than fight him and be stuck within a rock of flesh at the mercy of your kind."

The spirit answered turning back to Jiraiya, his projection began to become hazy. "You have seen the seal, can you think of any other reason it would be designed to allow for the mixture of our chakra? This is what the boy's sire wanted, he wanted his offspring to be protected by my powers. Now he will be protected in ways that just the borrowing of chakra could never do. I give my word; Naruto will always be himself and the one in control. Perhaps it would be best if the kit had someone who understands what it means."

The projection had disappeared after that, leaving Jiraiya to fill in Naruto about what the fox had told him. The complete extent was explained later on when two low-level kitsune spirits appeared. Pulling chakra from Naruto, they were able to transform from tiny fox kits into a more humanoid form. They explained that since they were of a lower level than the great Kyuubi, and very young they were unable to transform with only their own chakra. They had to pull chakra from Naruto and that they could only do this with his permission, or in this case Kyuubi had given it. When transformed they looked similar to what Kyuubi had, but both sported a tail where when the kitsune Naruto housed projected himself his nine tails had been absent. The two kitsunes had been summoned by Kyuubi to act as retainers for him, they were littermates who took the idea of being retainers to the adopted heir of one their kind's great lords to be a high honor.

"What exactly are retainers? What are you going to do?" Naruto asked as he scratched his head taking in all the developments. They explained it was their job to instruct Naruto about all the changes that would be coming from his merger with the fox, and what it meant to be considered a kitsune's offspring. As well as lead him to other spirits that would train him in their kind's fighting techniques and to be his loyal followers to do his bidding. "We will stay with you always, following where you lead and helping you when you need us." The male kitsune, named Yasuo, explained as he and his littermate bowed, pressing their foreheads to the ground. Naruto, never one for such formality quickly pulled the two up to stand. "So then nii-san we will be like family?" Jiraiya couldn't resist smiling at Naruto's simple nature; the boy's happiness was just so contagious.

The kitsunes explained how Kyuubi would be implanting basic knowledge on spirit magic and fighting to him. Though just as Jiraiya had led him to be trained by other humans, Kyuubi wanted Naruto trained in the ways of spirits by others also. It turned out that Kyuubi's gifts were some that he already possessed like his enhanced senses, healing abilities, and an almost unlimited amount of chakra; he would just have more control over them now. They also explained how long a youkai's life span was and how they remained basically ageless.

Both Jiraiya and Naruto were extremely upset upon leaning the extent of that gift. Jiraiya was sure Naruto was close to tears when he learned how being equally human and fox spirit now would give him an almost limitless life span and how he would remain ageless while those around him aged and died. Proving that while he was a shinobi, he was first still just a kid Naruto took off saying he wanted to be alone. As soon as Jiraiya was sure the boy was out of sight he laid into the two humanoid foxes.

In their defense the spirits tried to understand the Sennin's worries, even while he was stomping around inventing curse words to call their lord for dooming the boy to be left alone because he'd outlive everyone. Yasuo sighed shaking his head at Jiraiya. "Kyuubi-sama's kit Naruto-sama will be given the respect his lineage deserves. My litter sister, Noriko, and I have been selected by the great Kyuubi no Kitsune to serve Naruto-sama, we will do so happily all of our days. Our kind does not die like yours he will not be alone." The young fox spirit explained trying to stabilize the situation.

"You don't get it, Naruto isn't a fox." The older man exclaimed flinging an arm in the direction Naruto went. "No . . . You are the one who does not . . . get it as you say, Naruto-sama is a fox." Noriko interjected in a cool calm voice. "Kyuubi-sama has merged with him, claiming him. Kyuubi’s wish is that his kit will continue his reign as a Great Spirit. Through the merger the two separate beings are becoming one. Naruto-sama is half kitsune youkai now." She went on to clarify. "Fine..." Jiraiya grudgingly agreed. "That youkai may have made him part fox but damn it . . .the boy is still human too. Naruto has dreams; he wants to be a great ninja, he wants to live in his village to serve her people and to be recognized by all, he wants to be Hokage. What about those dreams?" Jiraiya shook his head in disgust. "Look, maybe not right now but some day the boy is going to meet someone and maybe want to settle down . . . how can he when he won't age? Your damn Kyuubi-sama has doomed him to be alone. He might be able to be with spirits but he can't be with humans now."

The female kitsune growled softly at Jiraiya for his words against their lord. "While it's obvious human that you care about Naurto-sama, do not speak ill of our lord. Remember if Kyuubi no Kitsune had wished any ill toward the boy he could have fought for control instead of giving his powers to the boy." Noriko reminded him grinding her teeth to hold in her temper. "Instead he claimed the boy as his own. Kyuubi promised you that Naruto-sama is the one in control, his word is all the proof you need of his intentions." Both Noriko and Jiraiya stood their ground glaring at one another.

Yasuo, being the calmer of the two, laid his hand on his litter sister to stop her. Trying to resolve the situation that was deteriorating quickly, he turned his attention to the protective human that Kyuubi had warned them about. "Why do you believe a powerful half spirit like Naruto-sama would wish to mate with a human?" The male kitsune asked. "I'm sure Kyuubi-sama would prefer his kit to find a youkai to take as a mate." Yasuo stated, regarding Jiraiya with squinted eyes as if searching for answers. "Besides from what I understand your race has not been what one would call kind to Naruto-sama in the past anyway. You should be thankful, Naruto-sama will have a place in this world now."

Growling Jiraiya answered truthfully. "No, Naruto has not always been treated the way he should have in the past but, he has more than proved himself to be worthy of acknowledgment and has made many friends that care for him deeply. Besides shouldn't Naruto be the one to making the choices about what he wants? You guys have taken it away from him and I'm not just talking about 'mates' either, what about companions?"

Rolling his eyes at Jiraiya's outbursts, Yasuo huffed. "Is that what is the issue? If Naruto-sama for some strange reason finds a human mate, it is not a problem. He will be able to extend his chosen's life span to fit his own. This is not an issue for now anyway, it will be a long time before he would probably be interested in finding a mate being he will not age like a regular human. Not that he couldn't mate if he found one but, the need will not hit him till he gets a lot older."

Shifting his weight between his legs and twitching his tail in aggravation Yasuo continued. "Besides nothing is stopping him from companionship with humans except for your race's ignorance. Kyuubi-sama alerted our kind through a link shared by us all of the changes in Naruto-sama and the kit's place as his offspring and heir. Unlike your race ours understands it is not our place to question the wisdom of one such as Kyuubi. Our kind finds no problem in accepting Naruto as a fellow spirit or with his lineage as Lord Kyuubi's adopted offspring; he is now half spirit after all, Kyuubi-sama has deemed him worthy to be his heir then so be it." Tilting his face up to snub his nose at Jiraiya, the small humanoid fox youkai stated. "As you pointed out he is still half human, perhaps you should look at what is wrong with your kind that they cannot accept him."

The discussion ended there being Jiraiya found it rather embarrassing that he was worried about Naruto being mistreated by their own kind when the youkai's seemed to have been already informed and immediately accepted the boy with open arms. The talk had certainly given him a lot to think about but at the moment making sure the brat was all right was more important.

As soon as Jiraiya had calmed himself down, he began to trail after the blonde, finding him on a large rock that happened to be near a fast-moving stream. It seemed Naruto had decided to work through his issues by skipping stones. Of course the boy knew immediately that his sensei was there and spoke to him without looking back. "I guess what all those people back in Konoha said is true." Taking a seat on the same large rock Jiraiya picked up a smaller stone and like Naruto tossed it a crossed the stream making it skip along. "What do you mean?" Sighing Naruto pulled his legs up and wrapped his arms around them. "I really am the fox . . . if I wasn't before I am now."

Jiraiya sighed as well; it broke his heart for Naruto to talk like that. He had always had a soft spot for the boy, plus the blonde's moods just naturally seemed to carry over to anyone else around him. This surprising shinobi had the talent to rally those around him to a cause with only a few words or give hope where there had been none. After spending so many years together the old frog hermit couldn't help but to have a strong bond with the boy. He wrapped an arm around Naruto's shoulders and leaned down to face him with a smile. "That damn fox promised you are still yourself. I promise the only physical change you've had since the last time we were in Konoha is you've let your hair grow out some." The boy continued to hide his face, though Jiraiya heard him snort in regards to his words. "Naruto, you are still yourself, no one is going to know about the changes unless you tell them." The frog hermit pointed out hoping to relieve some of the boy's worries.

Naruto raised his face from where he had it rested on his knees giving Jiraiya a clear look that said get real. "I think they are going to figure it out when I'm as old as Sarutobi was before he died and still look the same as I do today."

Jiraiya knew Naruto was upset but at that moment his mind decided to remind him of the fact that Tsunade still looked young and she was certainly no 20-year-old anymore. Before Jiraiya knew it, he was shaking trying to repress his laughter, making Naruto shake with him. The boy gave him a disgusted look before puffing up his cheeks and pouting at him for laughing. Jiraiya shook his head while he waved his free hand at his young friend. "I was just thinking you could always say you were narcissistic like Tsunade about looking beautiful and she taught you her youth jutsu." Naruto shook his head at his sensei. "You perverted asshole, I'm glad you can find my problems entertaining." He harshly bit out grinding his teeth. Still laughing Jiraiya replied. "Oh come on my boy, with that Oiroke no Jutsu you’re known for I bet they'd buy it." Growling Naruto released his legs in favor of shoving his sensei as hard as he could, pushing him off the stone they were sharing. Standing he stomped off into the surrounding woods shouting back at the older man he had left laughing on the ground. "Thanks for nothing, I don't know what I was thinking. Ero Sennin is just Ero Sennin after all is said and done."

The next morning after Naruto had spent most of the night stomping around the camp sight cussing and taking his anger out on the surrounding woods, the blonde ninja finally came to terms with everything and returned to his normal self. Jiraiya inquired as to why he was being so accepting. "Not like I can refuse now can I?" Naruto explained to his mentor why he finally was able to accept what his life had become. "Nee-chan and nii-san are going to take us to meet some other spirit's so I can learn some cool new moves from them." He said bouncing in place as he packed his stuff. "Besides it does have some advantages." Jiraiya who had been drinking some warm tea stopped mid-sip, the cup still to his lips, to look at his student. "Oh?" Having finished shoving his things into his bag Naruto settled down next to his sensei taking a cup of tea for himself, blowing on it. "Yep, well when I become Hokage I'll be able to protect the village longer than the others were able to cause I won't get all old and wrinkly . . . . " The blonde shinobi explained taking a small sip of his tea. Jiraiya chuckled at the boy's reasoning until he finished his sentence. "Like you are."

. . . . End flashback . . . .

Jiraiya had shown him just how old he was after that and the boy had nursed some rather large bumps to his head for a while at least. Reaching into his pack Jiraiya pulled out his pipe and lit up being there was no way he could sleep with so many memories floating around in his mind.

All their travels were quickly coming to an end though. Now that those who had posed a threat to the boy were gone there was no need for them to roam anymore. They were both sad their time together was coming to an end. Naruto had proven to be the most interesting person Jiraiya had ever had the pleasure of meeting. 'My life certainly won't ever be the same after having met that brat.' He admitted taking a long drag off his pipe. 'Well at least we got to spend the last few months taking it easy as guests of the Kazekage.' The perverted Sennin reminded himself as he eyed his pack with a sparkle in his eyes, thinking of all the research data he had gathered, wiping a small trail of drool off his chin Jiraiya smiled remembering how beautiful the women were in Wind Country. Jiraiya had taken Naruto to the Hidden Sand Village after his fight with Itachi so the blonde could heal and rest while under the protection of the Kazekage.

'Orochimaru, you fool . . .' Jiraiya sighed surrounding himself in a fog of sweet-smelling smoke. A part of Jiraiya mourned Orochimaru's death, the part that still held onto the memory of the friend and teammate the man had once been. Rationally Jiraiya knew it was the young man who had been his friend and teammate that he mourned for, not the monster he had become.

'Finally Naruto's friend; that Uchiha boy, is safe from becoming a host to that monster.' It was in truth Uchiha Itachi they had to thank for Orochimaru defeat, thereby saving Sasuke. 'That boy was probably spitting mad to know it had been his rogue brother who killed Orochimaru.' Jiraiya smiled, 'the Akatsuki is gone now too.' He thankfully reminded himself, remembering how they met up with a large group consisting of Konoha's rookie nine from Naruto's old academy days along with their sensei’s. With these talented shinobi’s they had been able to finally put a stop to the group made up of missing ninja's and defeat the Hidden Village of Sound.

"That was some fight.' Jiraiya glanced back at Naruto and shivered thinking how close the fight with Itachi had been. 'I'm just glad Naruto survived. I wonder how his friend, that Uchiha boy is doing since both Orochimaru and his brother had died in the skirmish?' Jiraiya was brought out of his thoughts by the sound of a frog croaking.

Being a frog tamer Jiraiya always was on alert for the sounds of his amphibian helpers, glancing over in the direction the croak came from he looked over his student's sleeping form once again as Gamakichi crawled out from under the blanket that covered Naruto's head. The frog didn't go far; just out from under the covers, before he settled back down to sleep by his adopted brother. Soon two small furry fox faces popped out under Naruto's chin from under the blanket as well.

Smirking the old Sennin shook his head as he finished his pipe and decided to follow Gamakichi and the fox twin's example and lay down to get some rest. 'We'll be back to Konoha soon and then the boy will be with all his old friends again. Not that he's lacking in that department. Hell, I think the boy has an adopted family in every village these days. But it'll be good for him to be back with his friends and all the others that care about him instead of being on the road with an old man, a frog and two kitsune-spirits for companionship.'

Finally settling down in his bedroll Jiraiya placed his hands behind his head gazing up at the night sky filled with the twinkling of stars. "How am I going to explain all of this to Tsunade?" Quietly he whispered searching the endless cosmos above him for answers.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Sunagakure: Hidden Sand Village

Oiroke no Jutsu: Sexy skill; A technique which is basically the Transformation Skill (Henge no Jutsu), where the user changes into a beautiful voluptuous woman.

Sennin: A wandering hermit or wise man. Those who obtain this unofficial title are very skilled in various Jutsu and have a strength comparable to that of the Hokage of a village. I have seen the spelling many different ways for this term, this is the spelling from the web site I used for Japanese terms from Naruto and is also the spelling I got from an online English to Japanese translator.

ano sa, ano sa: say, say

Genin: Rookie/lower ninja. Acquire forehead protector and are grouped in teams of 3 with a Jounin sensei.

Godaime: means 5th; term used to refer to the 5th Hokage of Konoha

Yondaime: means 4th; term used to refer to the 4th Hokage of Konoha (died after sealing Kyuubi within Naruto)

Akatsuki: organization of missing-nin's; name means dawn

kitsune: fox

youma: ghost, apparition

youkai: spirit, demon (not necessarily evil)

Kyuubi no Kitsune: Kyuubi the fox

Jinchuuriki: basically is a human that has a demon sealed within them.(I've found translations saying this term means power of human sacrifice)

Gamakichi: young son of Gamabunta (Naruto calls Gamabunta 'boss') vol 15 ch 134 Gamabunta agrees to allow Naruto into the family of frogs making him his underling when he is old enough to perform the sake ceremony with him. It is through this idea I've made the frogs have a more involved relationship with Naruto in the story.

Noriko: Japanese; means doctrine, child of ceremony, law, order (name given to female kitsune youkai retainer)

Yasuo: Japanese; means peaceful one (name given to male kitsune youkai retainer)

nee-chan: elder sister

nii-san: older brother

shinobi: another name for ninja

sensei: teacher