TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Kunoichi At Heart by Chloryl

[Reviews - 28]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

"Yeah, sure," you said slowly, gauging Sasuke's reaction. "On one condition."

"What?" Sasuke spat through his teeth, looking positively murderous.

"That you include Sakura."

Sakura gave a loud squeal. "Oh, [Name]! That would be lovely! Sasuke-kun…"

"No," he said flatly, not turning to look at her. Sakura deflated like a balloon, her shoulders sagging.

"We're a package deal," you insisted, a small, mischievous grin lighting up your face. "Take it, or leave it."

Sasuke's voice was dripping with loathing when he finally replied, "Very well."

"Good, then it's settled," you declared, clapping your hands together. "So I suppose you have a plan, Sasuke?"

He shot you another murderous glare, which you ignored good-naturedly. "As a matter of fact, I do. We're going to set an ambush for Kakashi – a surprise attack."

"Well that much is obvious," you muttered. "Seeing as Naruto kind of proved that a direct confrontation will never work."

"Hn. You're annoying."

"Why thank you," you replied mockingly, standing up. "C'mon, Sakura."

She got to her feet, her eyes wide. Tucking a loose strand of pink hair behind her ear, she followed you as you delved deeper into the forest without turning around to see if Sasuke was behind you.

-:-

"It's not that simple," Sasuke said through gritted teeth. "I already tried using the fireball jutsu on him, he's too fast."

"As a diversion," you insisted, folding your arms. "Then Sakura and I will ambush him from behind."

"N-nani…?!" Sakura squeaked, looking thoroughly alarmed.

You gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, it's two against one. And besides, Kakashi-sensei will be totally unprepared. We'll have the element of surprise on our side."

She nodded shakily and turned to Sasuke. "I'm ready, Sasuke-kun."

He crouched, preparing to spring into the clearing where Kakashi stood, flipping through the pages of his book. Sasuke interlaced his fingers, manipulating the tiger seal, then continuing through a series of additional hand seals to induce his Fire Release technique.

Meanwhile, you stood on the fringe of the forest, your heart hammering in your chest. By the looks of the position of the sun, you figured that you didn't have much time before the alarm rang. You only had one shot get this right. Slipping a paper bomb-tagged kunai out of your pocket, you handed it wordlessly to Sakura. She swallowed hard, then took it from your hands.

"Ready?" she mouthed. You gave her the thumbs up and the two of you waited for Sasuke's signal.

"Katon: Gōkakyū no Jutsu!"

"Wow, Sasuke-kun is incredible!" Sakura breathed, staring dreamily at the massive orb of chakra-generated fire pouring from Sasuke's mouth.

"Sakura, snap out if it!" you urged, shaking her shoulders lightly to bring her out of her trance. She blinked, her eyes glassy eyes focusing on you. Then her face reddened.

"Ah, sorry [Name]." Sakura stood up and her eyes scanned the smoking clearing for any sign of Kakashi. Her eyes alighted on a smouldering log to the left of where she was standing and she gave a small shake of the head.

"No?" you asked, your eyes joining hers in the search for your sensei.

"No, he's gone," Sakura sighed heavily, plopping back down onto the ground behind the bushes. "Substitution, no doubt. The real one is nowhere to be seen."

"Over here."

You spun around at the sound of Kakashi's voice, but you couldn't see him.

"Sensei is using the hiding with camouflage jutsu," Sakura whispered in your ear, her keen eyes inspecting the seemingly deserted woods. She pulled something out of her hip pouch and slipped it into your fingers inconspicuously. Your gaze flickered to the small sphere wrapped in coarse brown paper. The kanji for 'light' was neatly printed on the exterior in black ink.

"Flash bomb…" you mumbled, half to yourself. You vaguely recalled learning in the Academy that the camouflage technique involved controlling the refraction of light to render one invisible. With the influx of temporary light from the flash bomb, it would be difficult to maintain the jutsu. "That's…ingenious, Sakura."

She smiled, pleased. "Now go on."

You nodded, detonating the bomb. You shielded your eyes from the dazzling light, momentarily blinded. As it began to fade, you caught a glimpse of a slight distortion in the air current and you smiled triumphantly.

"There!"

Sakura fished out a shuriken from her pouch and lobbed it hesitantly in the direction you were pointing. Kakashi materialized, his fingers closing around the star-shaped disc with ease. He smiled under his mask, before dispersing into a cloud of smoke.

"He's gone," Sakura said, voicing her evident disappointment. The alarm suddenly rang, causing you to jump. In the distance, Sasuke swore loudly.

"Ugh, we were so close too," you groaned, slapping a hand to your forehead. "So were all going to fail now?"

She shrugged, looking troubled. Peering into the gap in the bushes, she called out Sasuke's name. She received an annoyed 'hn' in response. "Let's go," she suggested. You nodded in agreement, stepping out of the protection of the forest and into the clearing.

Kakashi had already tied an aggravated Naruto to the log with a length of thick rope.

"Hello there," he called, without turning around.

You cringed. "Kakashi-sensei, are you going to tie us to those stumps?"

He still didn't turn around. His eyes were glued to his orange book, but his thoughts had floated away.

"Kakashi-sensei?" Sakura's timid voice jarred him from his reverie.

"Oh no," he replied smoothly. "Why ever did you think that?"

She blinked, then turned to look at you.

"Did you say that we were going to be tied up if we failed to get a bell?" you supplied, to which Sakura gave a vigorous nod.

"Yeah, you said that was why there were only three bells."

Naruto wriggled in his bindings, looking dismayed at his predicament. His gaze drifted over the other two logs and a cheeky grin appeared on his face. "Hey, hey sensei. There's only three logs."

"Glad you noticed," Kakashi responded.

Naruto scowled. "Why am I tied here when everyone else isn't? It's not fair!"

"The point of this test, which you, Naruto, have completely overlooked, is teamwork."

"Teamwork?" he repeated blankly. He stopped struggling against the ropes for a moment, staring at his sensei as if he had spontaneously sprouted a third eye.

"It's the answer that determines whether you pass or fail this test. Unfortunately, it's too late for you now. If you had noticed earlier, maybe I would've passed you. And you wouldn't be tied up right now. The rest of Team 7 passes, and we're starting our first mission tomorrow."

"Naruto…" you whispered, realized what had just happened. He had indeed failed, and now…

Read Chapter 23, then return to this page.

You awoke the sound of Kakashi's voice.

"Naruto, it would be best if I dropped you from the program altogether. I'm not going to send you back to the Academy, because you're just going to fail again."

"What?!" he cried, outraged. He started kicking and writhing, trying to free himself from the ropes that held him against the wooden log.

If you don't think it's fair, and decide to intervene, even at the cost of your own pass/fail status, go to Chapter 74.

If you don't want to risk it, and just stay silent, go to Chapter 75.