TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Kunoichi At Heart by Chloryl

[Reviews - 28]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

Important Note: Do not continue reading unless you have been specifically directed to this within another chapter. The following contains important potential spoilers that are not yet able to be revealed for at least a couple more chapters for most choices.

Every option will eventually lead to this chapter because it's important, but please only read it when the time is right. ;) You have been warned!

You vision swam, and you swayed alarmingly. Someone gripped your arm to steady you.

"[Name], are you okay?" The concerned voice of your sensei sounded distant, garbled. You tried to reassure the rest of your team that you were perfectly fine, but no words escaped your lips. The noises around you faded gradually and a bright glow suddenly invaded your field of vision, forcing you to shield your eyes with one hand.

"W-where am I…?" you managed, not exactly expecting a reply but stunned by the sudden eerie silence. Where did everyone go?

"Your subconscious." The voice that spoke came from behind you, and it was unmistakably female. You whirled around, and in the swirling, misty light stood girl who looked a few years older than you were. She was vaguely familiar, but you couldn't place the soft, chin-length brown hair, the distinctive purple markings on her cheeks, the wide-set chocolate eyes. Trying to recall who she was – it was like trying to remember a disappearing dream.

"Who are you?" you whispered, your (e/c) eyes gazing into her warm brown ones. She gave you a wry smile.

"My name is of little importance," she replied gently.

"But –"

She held up one finger to her lips. "You will understand in due time. But I have a question for you. Has anything…strange been happening to you lately?"

If someone had asked you that a week ago, you would have laughed. You had been transported into the ninja world, told that you were already a kunoichi, and given ninjutsu talent you didn't know you possessed via shadow clone dispersion. Of course it was strange! Somehow though, you had gotten accustomed to it. Your life back on Earth seemed like a faraway, long-forgotten dream, not that you minded though. These days, none of that stuff you would consider strange anymore. However…

"I can't seem to remember a lot of the details in the Naruto episodes I've watched anymore," you muttered, sounding ridiculously foolish. "I know I've watched at least up to episode (#), but I can't remember the things that happened…" This girl was part of the Naruto world – what you were saying was obviously going to sound downright outrageous. Wait…how did you know she was part of the Naruto world?

She gave you a pained smile. "That's because it's the future. How can you remember the future? One small adjustment in history can change its course forever."

"You're Rin!" you blurted out suddenly, thinking of the man in your nightmare. You had no idea how you knew, you just did. She neither acknowledged nor denied it, but you were positive you were correct.

"Even then," she continued, her eyes sparkling. "You will remember certain things, despite them not happening yet. But be careful. This knowledge will both be a blessing and a curse. You could potentially save some of the lives of the people you care about, but you could also drastically alter the world."

"What?!" you squeaked, disconcerted by the daunting prospect. "Is that why I was brought here?"

Rin's face took on a wistful look. "No. It's a…side effect."

"Side effect?" you repeated disbelievingly.

Her eyes glazed over. "Ever since I died –"

"You're dead?" you interrupted, stunned at her casualness.

"Yes," she said shortly. "Though I thought you knew that already."

You ignored her last comment. "Does that mean I'm dead too?"

Rin cracked a small, brief smile. "No. You're definitely alive. As I was saying, when I died…he tried to bring me back." Her face twisted into a disgusted expression and her voice sounded distant. "Edo tensei. That baka…got himself mixed up with the wrong sort of people…the wrong sort of ideas."

"Edo tensei…" you murmured. You've heard that term before, somewhere, but you just couldn't remember. You scrunched up your face in concentration.

"Don't think to hard," Rin advised. "It won't do you any good."

You gave a sigh of defeat. How had she known?

"…But of course, it didn't work. He needed to call my soul from the afterlife and bind it within a living sacrifice." She stared at you with a mix of guilt and sorrow. "But my soul wasn't where he thought it would be. He couldn't reincarnate me…he couldn't find me…until he found you. You were the answer to everything."

"W-why?" you asked, your voice barely a whisper.

A faint smile graced her lips. "I think you know the answer. Look deep in your heart. What do you see?"

You shook your head stubbornly. "I really don't know what you're talking about."

"Me," Rin reached towards you and placed her hand lightly on your arm. You flinched at the contact. For someone who was allegedly dead, she felt solid, warm and alive.

"You?" you asked in utter bewilderment, wanting nothing more than to shake her off, but unable to find a polite way to do so.

"He couldn't recall me into the world, because I had already re-entered another one upon my death. My soul…it lives inside you."

"Excuse me?"

Rin pointed at your chest. "A fragment of my spirit lives within your heart."

Your spirits sank. "Is that why…is that why I can do ninjutsu? Is that why –" you gestured at your forehead protector unhappily. "– I'm a ninja?" You felt a crushing wave of despair. Here you were, happily deceiving yourself into thinking that you were a kunoichi of the Leaf, and –

She laughed lightly and shook her head. "Of course not! My presence has nothing to do with your shinobi abilities. That would be him. But you're a ninja alright, and your skills are solely your own." Then her tone darkened. "No, my existence in your body has brought you different consequences. It's because of me that he brought you into this world."

Something that was nagging at the back of your mind ever since Rin revealed her vitality status suddenly clicked in place. "Hold on, who is…he?" you asked her suspiciously. "You keep mentioning a he, so who exactly is he?"

She gave you an appraising frown, her eyebrows furrowing. "The anime you watched…the manga you read, didn't it mention him? Don't you remember?"

"Who?" you persisted, trying to delve deep into your thoughts and memories but unable to figure out what she meant.

Her eyes closed briefly. "My genin teammate. Obito…Uchiha."

The name rang a distant bell, like an ever-fading memory. But you suddenly froze, your thoughts on her previous words. "Rin…this is your world. Anime, manga, how on earth do you know…?"

You could swear she was blushing. "I've, well…sort of been residing in your body for a while now."

"For how long?" you demanded, taken aback.

"Ever since you started watching and reading Naruto," she mumbled, her face reddening. You cringed. That long?

"Why…? How…?" you spluttered, your hand flying to your mouth.

She shrugged, looking extremely embarrassed. "Your guess is as good as mine. I just woke up inside you one day, when you were watching the first episode…" She caught a glimpse of your horrified face and went on quickly. "I'm not there all the time, don't jump to conclusions! The fleeting moments I seem to be aware of myself and my surroundings were when you were watching or reading Naruto. And the instant Obito summoned you into my world, that was when I was fully alert of everything around me at all times."

"Now that's a relief," you muttered, still in a daze. Then you flashed her a happy grin. So the reason you were sent to the Naruto world was because of her presence! "Hey, that's great! Thanks for being in my body. Now all I need to do is thank that Obito guy for –"

"You don't understand!" Rin protested, then she looked alarmed. "Obito guy? Wait a moment, so you really don't remember who he is?"

Your eyes narrowed. "Am I supposed to?"

"But I didn't erase those memories…" she was mumbling to herself, not paying attention to your question. "I would've known better than to –"

"Hold it!" you commanded, your thoughts reeling. "What do you mean erased my memories? I thought you said I only don't remember the information in the episodes because they take place in the future!"

She glanced at your suspicious expression, alarmed. "I, well…partly. But –"

"So you lied?" you asked, eying her fearful expression with fierce satisfaction. "You have no right to remove my memories. Give them back!"

Rin folded her arms over her chest crossly. "No. It's for the best."

"But you said I had to save the lives of people I care about!" you protested loudly, causing her to jump. "Someone is going to die, and because of you, I've forgotten who, isn't it?"

She was silent.

"I need to know!" you pleaded, your voice rising in pitch and volume despite your best efforts to keep it down. "What good would I do if I don't even know the bad things that are going to happen?"

"No one else knows," she reminded you calmly.

"But I used to," you muttered.

Rin took a deep breath. "I already told you, I've allowed you to keep a few memories. It'd do no one any good if you knew exactly what was going to happen but fail to evade it. Trust me on this one, [Name]. You'll do far more damage trying to fix everything, because you'll just cause more problems."

You wanted to object, you wanted to yell at her and say that she didn't understand anything…but something in you knew that her words rang true. Against your will, a small part of you agreed with her.

"The part of me that's agreeing with you is your soul, isn't it?" you asked warily, your lips curving into a small smile despite your attempts to remain angry at her.

Rin raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Perhaps."

"Ok, fine. But how on earth am I going to do anything if I don't know anything?" you questioned.

"Just follow your heart," she said simply. "Follow the path of your ninja way and believe in yourself. Knowing will just bring your more pain than necessary. You don't need foresight to protect those you love, to change the world for the better."

"Who said anything about changing the world?" you asked nervously, biting your lip.

Rin smiled again. "As I've said before, the smallest change can bring lasting effects. Your presence has already changed the entire Naruto plot, hasn't it?"

"So now you're treating your world as a story now, huh?" you grumbled.

"Everyone's life is a story, [Name]. Haven't you always wanted to be part of this one? It's your chance to shine."

"Thanks," you muttered.

"By the way, I'm also erasing your memories of this conversation once you go back to your team," Rin added conversationally.

"What?!"

"It's for the best."

"I've heard that one already," you complained. "That's not fair!"

"Nothing is fair," she said reasonably, brushing off your words with remarkable patience.

"That Obito…persona. You said he only summoned me into this world because of your soul that resides within me?"

Rin nodded. "That's right. Do you remember when the Hokage dispersed your shadow clone, and then you regained all these memories of training at the Academy?"

You nodded.

"That was Obito's doing. He had already figured out that my soul had entered your body a few years ago. He was the one who sent the shadow clone to collect training experience and shinobi skills before he warped you into this world with his Kamui dimension," she explained.

"Ingenious," you marvelled, developing newfound respect for that Obito guy.

She sighed. "You could say so."

"Didn't you say that I should know who Obito was a while ago?" you wondered, trying to remember who he was. "Or did you erase all my memories of him?"

She shook her head and closed her eyes. Her fingers weaved nimbly through a series of hand seals.

"W-what are you doing…?" you asked uncertainly. Rin ignored you and continued manoeuvring through the necessary seals to perform a certain jutsu that you did not recognize. Then she tapped you lightly on the head. You gasped and blinked in amazement as the memories flooded back into your mind.

"That guy?!" Your incredulous voice echoed through the misty glow. "The one that started the Fourth Shinobi World War? How could I have forgotten him?"

"My jutsu," she said. "You couldn't have forgotten by yourself."

"Of course," you nodded wisely. "Oh, so that's why he brought me here. Obito wanted to bring you back."

"Isn't that what I've been saying all this time?" Rin sighed exasperatedly.

"That's different," you protested. "I didn't understand before. You know, this memory loss is really inconvenient. But why bother letting me train? Couldn't he have just released your soul and left me to die? Not that I'm complaining of course."

"It's not that simple to understand the inner workings of his mind. He's changed…so much. I don't know," she whispered helplessly, shrugging her shoulders.

"Oh well, we'll figure something out," you said encouragingly. She gave you a grateful smile.

"Humph. Drat, we've been chatting for hours now, haven't we?" you asked anxiously. "My team – what are they going to think? Am I unconscious?"

"This is your subconscious after all. No time has elapsed since you passed out."

"I passed out?" you repeated dubiously.

"Don't worry about it, you've just been out for a couple of seconds. They won't be alarmed," Rin said reassuringly. She placed her hand on your arm again, and closed her eyes. "Farewell, and good luck."

"Thanks…Rin. For everything."

"Not a problem, [Name]."

Press the back button to return to the previous chapter to continue where you left off.