TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Tale of Two Hearts by frostbite

[Reviews - 9]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do not own the manga/anime Naruto, and most of the characters in this worf of fiction are not my property! Please don't sue... *cowers as men in black suits take out papers*

A/N: Okay, it's very important to read these author's notes, you know... although this one doesn't have essential information, the other ones might... have fun with the first chapter, people! And please read and review! Oh, and if you want to distribute this piece of writing, then you have to tell me in an email or a review. My email address is chill_vestal@hotmail.com there might be some spaces or whatever, but in keep mind what a regular email address looks like. The whole story isn't going to be in first person mode, just the first two. Enjoy! ^.~

Summary: Hinata is a simple girl whose real mother died and whose fathed dies recently. She has to live with a cruel stepfather and an equally oppressive stepbrother. The only thing that keeps her going is the thought of the one person who's definitely out of her league. Prince Naruto... And here's another twist, even if she managed to get a hold of him, he's hopelessly in love with Princess Sakura, who in turn is in love with his rival brother, Prince Sasuke. And to add to all this, Princess Sakura has a commoner in love with HER too... a humble yet determined boy named Lee. Oh, and one more thing... Sakura has a rival SISTER who loves Sasuke also. Sasuke doesn't love anyone... YET. Let the mayhem ensue! AU (AlternateUniverse)

"blah"= spoken dialogue

"blah"= written dialogue

blah= written words or flashback. there will also be this thing before and after: ~::~

'blah' or 'blah'= thoughts

*~*= paragraph breaks

PLEASE TELL ME IF THE BOLD OR ITALICS DON'T WORK! OR IF THE FORMATTING GETS SCREWED UP (OR IF ASTERISKS DON'T WORK!)!

*~*

A Tale of Two Hearts

Chapter 1

Hinata

*~*

Hello... I'm Hyuga Hinata. But of course a simple person like me doesn't need to live with such formalities. You must be thinking, 'What a polite girl!' Please don't... for you see, what else can a girl like me be but what my owners have made me? Was that confusing? I'm sorry... let me start from the beginning.

As I said, my name is Hinata and I'm not even a full-fledged teenager to be smothered in all this premature angst. But let me start on as positive a note as I can muster. I am naturally a very pessimistic person, except for when my eyes alight on him. But there I go again, digressing... where was I? Oh yes, a positive note. When I was younger I dwelled in a very small but quaint cottage on the outskirts of the High Leaf Village in which my parents had wed (of course we were still in the Hidden Leaf country). It was a small life, though very fruitful and filled with happy moments. I was four years old when I first caught a lengthy glimpse of the two resident princes, Naruto and Sasuke. Each very different from each other and yet strangely alike... It was hard to tell which one was stronger, in body, soul and mind. On one hand, Naruto had the determination and the strength of the Nine Tails on his side (some people were embittered because of it)... and Sasuke, his half-brother, the will and strength of the Uchiha clan on his.

Their major difference was that Naruto always seemed to be full of energy, his eyes perpetually burning with an interminable light; and Sasuke... his demeanor was always cool and his voice was less full of the bounce that Naruto's held.

Although I--ever calm, ever shy-- would have been more liable to find a kindred spirit in Sasuke, I found myself looking in silent awe at the slighter prince and finally finding courage in his eye. Because, the one main thing about me is that my main goal is to change myself. And don't think that I'm being pressured by the world to turn into a beautiful blond like Princess Ino or Princess Sakura (although her forehead isn't very pretty)... it's a different kind of pressure. I feel that I have to be more- more empowered. I'm a soft-spoken failure most of the time (can you guess who I was studying when I wasn't?) and I wouldn't hurt a fly. That's the most hurtful thing. According to my hateful stepbrother, the strong rule the world. I would like to have those people who have hurt me cowering before my powerful personage- but no, still, even in my anger I can't imagine hurting someone for sport or even for vengeance. It's just not me. But there I go again... digressing. I saw the two majestic princes as they walked before us poorer folks' eyes in the annual celebration of the Hokages that used to rule.

For now, the world was into monarchy, but I secretly wished for the old Hokages of yore, when the children of the reigning Hokage were not overly held above the heads of others. But back to my story... I was a small child even then and my mother cradled me in her arms protectively, still enabling me to see my future rulers. I had been expecting to see two fair young men with cropped blond hair and beautifully chiseled features. What I got were two boys, the same age as I was. At that time I was virtually incapable of feeling a strong love, but as I gazed upon one still boy, and caught sight of another who could barely stay still, I felt a spark in my stomach that I could only explain as 'cooties'. Needless to say I kept my distance when any young boy came across me, but in a few years I had grown out of that stage and I was ready for jealousy.

It was when I was seven that I first noticed that something was wrong with my loving mother. I had stumbled across hushed voices from inside my parents' bedroom and I crouched with my ear pressed flat against the door. I could only pick up a few mismatched words and phrases, but what I heard was enough to make me suspicious. The gist of it was that there was something that my father wanted my mother to reveal to me... I was sufficiently anxious. What could it be? But I was a quiet one, and I didn't go up to my mother with my questions until it was too late for her to give any answers.

I was too young to understand why she was bedridden and why her once beautiful face was pasty and blotchy. Also, her large emotionally blank eyes were now just that... blank. And her long hair was full of tangles that no comb could fix. She died when I was eight. I had finally worked up my courage enough that I could ask her what was wrong... when I ran into her room that fateful morning, a horrible sight greeted me. Her torso was flung over the side of the bed. I called my father and that was the start of my troubles.

When I was nine, my father started associating with a truly wonderful woman, but then, to our dismay, my father was found in a ditch the day after their wedding. Apparently it had been an accident. I wasn't that much of a fool. His black locks were wrung and his pale eyes were now vacant. It's funny how both my parents- beautiful people- both died young. While I, the plain girl with the scarily wide eyes and the mousy hair lived on. But I still had my stepmother, who had brown curls and normal eyes and was the nicest person I had ever met other than my few friends and late parents. Yes, I did have friends... although I spent more time trying to see Naruto Uzumaki than anything else. But soon the newfounded peace was disrupted. How? My stepmother found love.

Don't think I'm heartless... although it was kind of depressing to go through two real parents. She fell in love with a cruel man. But, I soon realized... he was the same as me. Along with his son.

They were both from the Hyuga clan also... with pale all-seeing eyes. They hated me immediately. For they, although obviously having more potential then I could ever have, were part of the lower Branch House, while I was in the Main House.

Sometimes I wonder why I was poor, but at other intervals I long for those times. For now, I am not poor... I am rich. But more depressing of all is that I was made to move to a fussy house away from my scant friends and in the heart of the High Leaf 'metropolis'. And I was even farther away from my prince because I barely existed. Especially after my mother was murdered by an unknown person. Although I think I know who it was... maybe her 'beloved' spouse? But I wasn't even real to others. Almost no one knew I lived in that house. I was forced to stay in the cellar and do innumerable chores. And not even an ounce of defiance was left in me, because my stepbrother could tell when I was being insolent just by using his Byakuge and having his wide moonlit orbs study mine.

And so it has been... but didn't I mention somewhere that this was where I would discover jealousy? Oh yes... I'm getting there. So, let me find my narrative-

The only thing that kept me going all that time was the thought of the strong-hearted prince who had begun to appear in everyone of my dreams. And each one was just a variation of the one before it. Naruto bursting through the doors of my home and sweeping me off my feet... not after making my step-family scrub all the floors of course... and each time I'd wake from my dreams crying silent tears of happiness. The only times I permitted myself to cry. I thought of it as leaking vomit from my eyes and that kept me in check... I had a weak stomach.

Sometimes I was let out to perform small errands, like taking certain torn clothes (not mine of course) to the local tailor; or buying assorted groceries or even sending little messages from my powerful stepfather to the castle. And every one of the times where I found myself at the entrance to the castle, giving a slip of paper to a maid or manservant, I found a way to catch him somehow. Too shy to speak to him, yet too captivated to stray from his path, I found myself catching his eye purposefully everytime I came across him.

I loved his golden hair and his striking visage; and I had looked into his eyes so often and his in mine that he had taken to trying to speak to me. Even more wonderful were the flashes of recognition that I saw in his eyes now. Of course I would always turn away just as his lips parted. I was thirteen (I am thirteen, really), and readily able to have strong feelings for anyone, although I wasn't sure about this one. {A/N: Actually, I don't agree with the young age thing... but in the manga they're around twelve and all that romance is going on so...}

One day when I again found myself about to enter the castle, I discovered that two girls were visiting. Neither were as old as my stepbrother (he was seventeen years of age) and yet they seemed to be at least a few months older than me. (Even a few months have always made a difference to me and the Hyuga clan. Just a few days could make the difference of whether you were in the Main House or the Branch house.) But I am very mature-looking and so I felt sure that I could fit in if only I tried... then I stopped myself. I could never fit in with this royalty... and not because of my status, oh no. Nobility was high enough. Two things stopped me, no three even. The first two were that my 'family' never would have allowed me to go up the social ladder without bringing them with me, which I didn't want to experience; and these kids seemed higher than me. All except Naruto of course. And this wasn't to imply that he was lower than the rest. he was just less proud, although he acted cocky and outspoken to hide this. Maybe I was the only one to notice... I don't know... but it seemed that way. The rest of them acted all high and mighty, and I had yet to understand the third reason. Bear with me here...

I peered in closely, using my Byakugan. You might think that I didn't need to, because of the close promixity, but without it I never would have been able to see clearly hidden in shrubbery. By now I was worried... I had already delivered the message. I couldn't afford to be too late. If only I had gone, because the next sight drew a gasp out of me...

The two princesses, Sakura and Ino, of the neighbouring village, had golden hair just like Naruto. I couldn't yet bring myself to despise them for their similarities to him. They were all over the black-haired 'cutey' any way... I shuddered in revulsion. That calm, rude boy had made Naruto the brunt of his jokes often enough. Also, he was blatantly mean to both of the princesses, and it was all I could do not to scream at the girls to stop acting so stupid. But then I noticed how Naruto was acting... the normally happy and willful Naruto was glaring daggers at an oblivious Sasuke as he continued to brush each girl off. He ogled Sakura every few minutes and all he got for his trouble were a few heartfelt glowers in his general direction. From both girls.

Sasuke blew a small rasberry and smirked, not entirely enjoying the situation, but happy that Naruto had 'got his'. Naruto was head over heels in- no, I can't bring myself to say it... I gasped breathily, causing every head to turn my way, then, ignoring the calls from behind me, I hurriedly scampered towards my temporary 'haven'... although it had to be called a hellish sanctuary indeed. As soon as I made it through the front door I was lectured and jeered at, and leered at until I just couldn't take it anymore. I emitted this weird choking sound and ran back out of the door. I didn't know that solace would NOT be found.

As I was fleeing blindly I didn't notice the person walking steadily towards me and my house until I actually collided with them. I looked up and my eyes met a scary sight. Naruto. I turned my eyes down immediately and covered my hair with two hands and then spoke. "Uh... Prince Naruto, I-"

"Have you seen another girl around our age passing through here? I mean, she's kind of plain and weird-looking... I don't know."

I bowed, but not only because of his stature, I managed to suppress a few tears before I sighed. "I'm sorry, Prince. No."

"Oh... well, then... the Royal Messenger is going to each of the prominent houses but this one because I thought I saw the girl running in this direction. Uh... so- oh! Here, take this." He smiled sheepishly and then ran back off, waving with two fingers over his shoulder. I looked at my hands, only just now noticing the small length of parchment that lay there.

"F-father...?"

"There's no need to explain, I was watching you. Good bowing technique. It must come from all of the heavy-duty table wiping that you do, eh?"

I grit my teeth but nodded, just as a docile, meek girl like I should have done... but inside my thoughts were racing. Why wasn't he punishing me? Why wasn't he allowing Neji to clobber me in 'sparring practice' as usual? And WHY, why for my first time speaking to the prince did I have to act like that? Why did he have to call me weird and plain?

"Got that?"

"Huh, what?"

"Listen carefully, Hinata. There's going to be a ball. And you're going whether you want to or not."

"No, no..."

I couldn't face all of that nobility!

"Yes, yes!" He countered, then he shook his head, "But I don't know how an ugly girl like you is going to be able to fit in... let me see that leaf of paper."

I handed it to him, then he patted me on the shoulder. I just managed not flinch. "It's a costume ball. Wear a mask, do anything. But you're going, and hopefully that Prince Sasuke character will like you."

"P-prince Sasuke?"

He chortled, a very rare sight. "Don't tell me you were hoping to get to know the other one? Let me tell you something..." He beckoned for me to get closer. I could smell his sake-ridden breath. He whispered conspiratorially, "Naruto is obviously in love with Princess Sakura of the next village. You know the one, Low Leaf Village? And Sasuke is more like you. He doesn't like Sakura or Ino. In fact, they might just repulse him. So move in for the kill. Your brother and I will be there to talk to the king. But I will be watching you."

"Wh-when-" I licked my dry lips, "When is it?"

"Two days from the morrow. So go out right now and find something to make a costume with. I'll give you this much... no more money for you." He gave me a very small amount and I smiled inwardly. I'd use this money for myself, I'd just find scraps from various places. Now all I had to do was dodge the prince and I'd be fine. But nothing in life ever comes easy, does it?

Just some yards away I bumped into another member of the royal family. It was the other prince. "Have you seen my brother around here?"

I bowed, making sure to keep my head down. "Yes, Prince... but I'm not sure where he went."

"Thank you."

I started to scurry away when he called me back, "Yes...? Prince?"

"You look familiar... are you the brother of this weird girl with large... uh, luminescent eyes?"

"N-no..."

"Why do you keep your head bowed?"

"No reason, Prince..."

"Then look at me." I refused, obviously.

Then he dismissed me with a cold sniff, and I was finally free to rant all I could. I decided to just buy cloths (not clothes, cloths) with the money instead of risking bumping into any more of these frisky royals. The first thing I bought was a mask. A pretty blue one with wings at each side that would frame my face. But now half of my money was gone...

So I set about getting the cheapest, beautiful cloths I could afford. Blues, and purples; deep reds and greys. But I stayed away from pink, the one colour that I loathed. And when I was done, I had nothing.

Now I had to actually make the costume... needless to say I wasn't very pleased. Why wasn't there a jutsu for sewing?

But when I got 'home', I received a bittersweet surprise. My stepfather was hiring the tailor to make a beautiful butterfly costume, the bad news was that I was not exempt from staying at the ball until its very end. AND there was a catch to 'enjoying' myself... during the day I had to truss up doubly with make-up, PLUS I had to do twice the regular amount of chores.

Well, as long as I could stay hidden behind the mask for the entire ball I was happy... but was this I heard about it being customary to take off your mask before royalty?

~*~

There were still a few hours left until the ball commenced. But right now I was in complete turmoil. It was official... I was going to have to take my mask off in any of the royals' presence. For a few minutes at least.

Bathing in bath oils for the first time, I couldn't have been more unhappy. It all felt so unnatural, too unnatural, to me. Dressing up like a doll, putting on a mask. But then again, that's what I'd always wanted to do, wasn't it? Put on a mask? Be someone different?

Suddenly I had an idea. Why couldn't I be someone else for just one night? And that's when I decided... tonight, I was going to play the part of the wonder girl. The one everyone aspired to be. And everyone would love me for it.

I began to get ready with renewed zeal. The ball was going to be a night that no could ever forget. I'd make sure of it.




A/N: So how was it? You can tell just by reading this that I come from ff.net, heh... oh, and for further notice, I DO know the proper formatting! I know that you're supposed to indent the sentences and whatever and I also know what you're supposed to do when someone's talking for a long time. So don't bother criticising my formatting, it's either the site or I just don't feel like doing it properly. Please review! Wait, can you review on this site? Whatever... Look out for the next chapter!