TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


To Regain What Was Lost by littleolmee

[Reviews - 4]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Hope you enjoy the story, don't forget to review.
Blanket disclaimer: I do not claim any rights to Naruto or any characters associated with the anime/manga. They are the property of Masashi Kishimoto.

A/N WARNINGS FOR STORY *PLEASE READ*: This story has Yaoi/Slash pairing: (SAI/NAR) starting out with, non consensual sexual harassment; nothing explicit and nothing past groping, but still has that non consent issue. I wanted to warn everyone that it is happening in this chapter. (SAS/NAR) pairing after that, along with (Kak/Iru) later on, Bad language, adult situations and talk of character death in this chapter. Story contains altered events from story line after vol. 32, in the manga. Some spoiler information contained. Japanese words will be translated at the bottom of the page. If you are bothered by Slash pairing, non-consensual sexual harassment, not interested in reading spoilers, or not of age to be reading such material then please push the back button now. Reviews and comments are welcome no flaming please; anything not to your liking expressed in this warning is your clue to push the back button now.

Author's note 07-31-06: This is a repost of the original chapter posted on 7-28-06. My beta found somethings she missed and this is the corrected version. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read and especially reviewed. Please continue with your feedback it makes me write and post faster. Chapter 2 will be ready to post within the next few days.

My deepest thanks to Jaded Lady for her work as beta on this story. I appreciate all your hard work.


'thinking'
"talking"




~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Naruto sat atop the Hokage Mountain gazing out toward the village of his birth, smiling he reached down and grabbed the bottom of his feet as he rocked back in forth. He had been so excited this morning that he had woken up early. After doing all his normal morning stuff and eating, he was now trying to waste some time. He was to report to the Godaime to receive his orders for his mission. Tsunade-baba was finally letting him go out on a mission away from the village. The wounds he received in the last battle in the war between the Sound Village, Konoha and her ally Suna had healed long ago. He figured his injuries must have really scared his friend cause everyone for the last couple of months had been on pins and needles around him, treating him like he was made out of glass or something.

Okay, so yes it was true he was bitten by Manda, the summoned king of snakes. Yes, the creature's fang had pierced his body. It had skewered him in the top of his left shoulder through his thigh on that same side. Damn it all though, he didn't even have a single scar anymore, thanks to the healing power Kyuubi gave him. So he really didn't see why Tsunade-baba had been unwilling to let him leave the village. She had gone as far as to forbid him from even going with Ero Sennin to train and help with research. Hell, he hadn't even done a simple D rank mission since the injury for fucking sakes.

One good thing that came from the whole battle was Orochimaru's death. Thanks to Gaara's sand control that he still possessed, they had all fought together backing the snake into the Kazekage's trap.

The Sound Village was now disbanded. Many of the ninjas had escaped and a small part of Naruto was glad they did. Those that were captured were put to death, being they were followers of Orochimaru. It bothered him knowing that they had been put to death. The ones he had fought against reminded him of Sasuke, fellow shinobis who had been tricked by the evil snake summoner into following him.

Tsunade-baba tried to explain it to him, not that it did much good. Gaara had been visiting him at the hospital while she was explaining. "You are wasting your time Godiame. Naruto is too soft hearted to understand such diplomatic issues." If he had more strength at the time he would have argued with them, but he'd fallen asleep before he could think of a good come back. Tsunade and Gaara were probably right; it wouldn't be good to have a bunch of Orochimaru followers running around. Still that was one duty a Kage had to face that he wasn't looking forward to.

The one person he had hoped to find at the village had been nowhere to be found. It seemed either Sasuke had escaped from Orochimaru on his own or he had been sent away when they attacked. Whichever it was Sasuke was now a wandering missing-nin, Naruto was sure he was out trying to grow stronger and hunting his brother.

Sighing Naruto wondered if he'd ever see Sasuke again, truthfully he was glad Sasuke wasn't at the Sound village when they had attacked. If he had, the council might have had him put to death. He missed Sasuke and wished things hadn't turned out like they did, but he'd rather Sasuke be missing than found and put to death. On the upside at least Sasuke was safe from Orochimaru now.

No matter what, he wasn't going to forget that Sasuke had admitted that he meant something to him. And even though Sasuke did beat his ass when they fought that time, in the end Sasuke hadn't kill him. It could have been a fluke he lived, but in his heart he just couldn't find the will to hate Sasuke. No matter how long he lived Naruto would always see him as one of his precious people.

Standing, he brushed the dirt off his ever-present orange outfit and headed toward Hokage Tower. He was suppose to meet the other members of the team and get the details about the mission there, he already knew that Sakura would be with him on this mission. He was happy about that, they had become close friends over the years and always worked well together. She had been contacted before him and had just happened to run into him before he had been alerted. She told him yesterday that Captain Yamato would be leading the group. Picturing the Jounin in his mind he shivered a bit, it wasn't that Captain Yamato wasn't a good leader it was just sometimes he could really creep him out with that look he had.

Kakashi had been assigned to some secret mission for awhile now and had been absent from the village, he really missed Kakashi leading them. When the silver-haired Jounin would lead him and Sakura he could almost forget about Sasuke being gone. It was like he had his family again. Naruto guessed it was because they had been together since they were 12, it was only natural to have a connection after all this time. Or maybe it was just his childish want for a family that he put everyone into such positions.

Stopping he hummed to himself squinting his eyes in deep thought as he pictured some of the people he knew.

Iruka-sensei was a mixture of a mom and dad rolled into one, like a proud papa one moment and a worried mama the next. Naruto snickered a bit to himself on that thought.

Kakashi-sensei was like an uncle; sure he'd watch out for you, but he would let you make your own mistakes. Only warning you to be careful after you hurt yourself.

Naruto had always seen Jiraiya as a dirty old grandfather who told you perverted stories you probably shouldn't hear.

Tsunade as a grandmother, one who often scolded him for doing the same type of things he saw her do.

If he was being honest Sakura-chan was really like a sister, Shinzue an aunt, Konohamaru and his friends were like younger bratty cousins.

Naruto chuckled; shrugging his shoulders at his own thoughts, glad no one knew the things his mind came up with. Because one thing was certain, if those people were his family then he had a very dysfunctional one.

Running across the roofs Naruto made his way to the Godamine's office, he really hoped she found someone he got along with to be the fourth man on their team this time. Landing at the tower, he began to make his way inside.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Cursing and yelling could be heard all the way into the streets of Konoha surrounding Hokage Tower, the voices of one Uzumaki Naruto and Tsunade the Godaime of Konoha could be heard arguing, those who heard shook their heads.

A small handful of civilians that hadn't come to accept the boy shook in disgust wondering how the container of the Kyuubi would be allowed to speak to the Hokage in such a manner.

Those civilians, who knew and accepted Naruto shook their heads in humor of how he did.

His fellow ninjas had all come to accept him and simply laughed that someone so short and young had the balls to argue with someone like Tsunade-sama. When she had the power not only to make his life miserable with bad missions but, could beat him to death if she had wanted to.

Everyone wondered why she let him get away with such actions. Yamanaka-san, Ino's father, smiled at the question as he passed by remarking that blonde's were in short supply in Konoha so they had to stick together as the reason Tsunade put up with Naruto. While ridiculous, it was surprisingly widely accepted.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Stomping down the path away from the gates of Konoha, Naruto grumped the whole way. Pouting he crossed his arms over his chest as he followed Captain Yamato. Him he could deal with, it was the one behind him he was angry about.
"What's wrong chibi, to put such a look on your face?" A fake friendly voice asked from behind him. "Your little pee pee in the wrong position or something?" Throwing his arms up in frustration Naruto yelled in disgust. "Aaaahhh . . . Tsunade-baba I'll get you for this I swear!"

Sakura, who had been walking beside Naruto, leaned back and gave Sai a disgusted look while he smiled back at her. "Sai, leave him alone." Sakura stated stepping behind her blonde teammate trying to put some distance between the two boys.

Sai smirked, as he shook his head no, "he's so cute when he's angry." He replied as if that explained it all. "I wish you two would just kiss and get it over with." Yamato yelled back as he sped up, chuckling when he heard Naruto curse at him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Stopping to set up camp for the night the trip had so far been about Sai pestering the hell out of Naruto and the blonde shinobi cursing and yelling how much he hated Sai. By this time both Yamato and Sakura had headaches and were tempted to knock one or both out.

Sakura shook her head as she worked on setting up her tent while Yamato was starting a fire. "Go get some water Naruto since you're done with your tent. Sai, get some more fire wood." He ordered in hopes to get some quiet for a while at least. Both turned and went in opposite directions as a collective sigh could be heard from the Jounin leader and the Chuunin med-nin.

Looking up at her Yamato shared a smile with her as he shook his head. "I still think they should just kiss and shut up." Sakura chocked on her laughter as she hid her face behind her tent flap getting herself under control, she shook her head at the Jounin leader. "I don't believe Naruto is interested in that with Sai." Shrugging his shoulders, Yamato smiled. "Maybe not but, Sai seems interested in him." Both shared a good laugh at their teammates' expense unaware of someone watching and listening.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sasuke wrinkled his nose at the two's humor, he didn't see what was so entertaining about this Sai character's actions toward the blonde baka. He had been nearby when he thought he had heard Naruto's voice, covering his chakra he silently moved up toward the campsite.

Upon seeing who was at the site he found himself drawn by two of the ninjas in the group. First was the girl member; pink hair and green eyed, Sakura. She had certainly matured since the last time he had seen her he admitted, but it was the other ninja that drew his attention, the last time he had seen this blonde shinobi had been when he left Konoha.

There was no doubt it was Naruto, same wild blonde hair that reflected his personality. Whisker-like marks on each cheek; three per cheek to be exact, and if he had gotten closer before Naruto had turned to walk to the stream Sasuke knew he would have seen the bluest eyes anyone had ever possessed. Oh, yes Sasuke knew this person well; he was the one whose image would not leave him, even more persistent than the image of his brother. In a flash he moved away from the camp toward the stream to get a better look at his ex-team mate.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Leaning over to refill the water containers Naruto squinted up at the sun smiling back at it letting its rays warm his face, there was something about being out of the village that had always made Naruto happy. He wouldn't want to leave his home forever, but getting out into nature once and awhile was nice. It reminded him that there was more to life then just what he experienced in the village. Standing as he finished filling the last bottle, he had the strangest feeling someone was watching him, he reached out his senses trying to feel for enemy chakra or Sai's chakra, either one could be a call to be armed. Not finding anything out of the ordinary Naruto sighed and made his way back to camp.

Right after dinner Naruto fell asleep beside the fire. It had been a long time since he had been out of the village. The long walk had taken a lot out of him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sasuke had stayed close watching the group, he was a little angry at first thinking they had replaced him so easily with another till he watched the interaction within the group. As he watched there was just something about this Sai character that sat him on edge, he did not like how he acted so casual with Naruto.

The Jounin leader had already retired for the evening, Sakura sat on the opposite side of the camp, obviously on watch, though she didn't notice Sasuke or this other shinobi's interest in Naruto. Sasuke fumed as he watched the dobe sleep, laying unaware of the possible danger from the dark-haired shinobi. Even Naruto's fellow teammates ignored his danger. Biting his lower lip he watched Sai slowly moved towards Naruto, who had fallen asleep near the fire. Holding as still as he could Sasuke watched as Sai moved until he sat right next to Naurto. In what could be considered either a bold act or an act of complete stupidity the older boy ghosted his fingers up Naruto's leg toward his crotch.

Clenching his fist Sasuke reminded himself that if he burst into the camp at that moment he would be in for a fight that he wasn't sure he wanted. 'It's not like I know the relationship of those two. Sure they fight, but it could be like when I was there.' His mind spat out to him, which only added to his anger. The idea that Naruto had a relationship that had replaced the rivalry/friendship they had shared made his eyes flash red with the power of his Sharingan. His attention was drawn back to the campsite by a flash a chakra, there was no power behind it, but anyone would have recognized it as a warning. With his thoughts on hold he continued to watch the events that were unfolding before him.

From Naruto's prone body, a flash of blue chakra surged forth stalling the older boy's hand. When it died back down the stranger smirked at Naruto, but he still continued. The second flash was a purple chakra, one that looked angrier. It did halt Sai's assault for a few more moments before he boldly disregarded the warnings Naruto's sleeping body was giving off. The last flash was red, the same chakra that Naruto had used when he fought against Sasuke in the Valley of the Ends so many years ago. This time it was not just for show as the other shinobi quickly drew his hand back in pain.

Sasuke smirked at the man's pained expression. 'That'll teach him usuratonkachi, good job.' He silently praised, he noticed the last flash had drawn Sakura's attention for a moment. Not noticing anything a miss she quickly went back to watching the surrounding woods.

'Who does this guy think he is, to be so familiar with Naruto?' Sasuke ranted on within his own mind until his rant flew right out the window as Naruto stirred, drawing Sasuke's attention back to the blonde.

Sasuke watched as Naruto stretched first squirming slightly in place as he yawned. Then in an act that just certainly should be considered illegal to do, he flipped himself over on his stomach and brought his knees up under his chest while he left his arms stretched out in front of him. At that moment he resembled someone bowing in prayer, but holy thoughts was not what bombarded Sasuke at that moment. Shaking his head Sasuke watched as Naruto stood stretching a bit more. Relaxing his stance, he began to walk toward the woods.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sakura who had finally put her attention on him called out. "Where are you going Naruto?" The blonde turned back rubbing his eye with the back of his hand; the act made him seem very childlike. "Got to go use the little boy's tree." He mumbled turning back to the woods and stumbled into the surrounding darkness.

Sakura could help but smile. She had been bopping him in the head for years now for trying to pee in front of her, she had finally gotten him trained to go away from the camp when he went. "Figures he only remembers when he's still half asleep." She remarked, stretching while she yawned.

Watching the blonde as he stumbled out of the camp sight Sai stood and headed in the same direction. "Sai?" Sakura called out, watching the dark-haired older boy. Turning back Sai smiled as his hand reached down to touch the crouch of his pants. "Little boy's tree." Sakura shook her head making a shooing motion to the other shinobi. "You're as bad as Naruto. Too much information." Taking that as his cue Sai left the campsite.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sasuke moved to follow the two shinobis wondering why he was the only friend the blonde had that was concerned about the attention the dark-haired teammate paid to him. Slinking around in the dark Sasuke watched as the one named Sai advanced on the dobe.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Finding the blonde leaning against a tree with his eyes closed, Sai decided he'd have a little more fun with him. Sliding up beside him, Sai slammed Naruto against the tree he had been leaning against.

The blonde's eyes that had been tightly closed from the impact of hitting the tree flew open. As his male teammate decided to push himself against him in an intimate way, startling him even more.

With his blood boiling Sasuke watched in morbid fascination as this guy Konoha had thought to replace him with continually forcing himself on Naruto. It was obvious that the blonde knucklehead was in shock, seeing he'd frozen up like a first year Genin. Sasuke was barely aware that his Sharingan had activated when the scum grabbed Naruto in a place even he had not done. Sharingan spinning, Sasuke found his body acting on it's own appearing behind the other dark-haired ninja.

Naruto was in shock, he had still been half-asleep when Sai shoved him the first time and now he was handling him like Ero Sennin handled a Tea House girl. It wasn't the teen in front of him that drew his attention though, from out of the dark night that surrounded them spinning red eyes appeared behind Sai, that had his attention. Looking beyond Sai, Naruto's eyes widen even more when he was able to make out Sasuke's appearance in the dark forest. "Sa-Sasuke . . ." Naruto whispered, afraid that if he spoke too loud the vision would vanish.

Confused Sai turned meeting Sasuke's gaze. When their eyes met Sasuke bore down on the power of his bloodline limit on the other boy. Losing his grip on the blonde, Sai began to fall. Reaching out Sasuke took hold of his arm flinging him away from the one person he considered precious to him.

Naruto leaned forward in childish curiosity to watch as Sai hit another tree and slide to the forest floor, cringing a bit at the impact. Gasping as Sasuke took hold of his shoulders and pushed him back against the tree once again. "What does he mean to you?"

Pouting that Sasuke would ask him such a thing after not seeing him in many years, he growled. "Teme, what are you talking about?" Shoving Naruto back into the tree once again Sasuke growled at him. "That bastard that was touching you, what is he to you? Did you want his touch?" Shaking his head ferociously Naruto disagreed to his statement. "I hate him, he tries to take your place on our team. Do you think I'd want someone like him to touch me?" Letting up on his pressure he was using to hold the smaller boy in place Sasuke asked. "What am I to you?" Huffing a bit Naruto pouted as he looked directly into his long lost friend's eyes. "You're my best friend."

Naruto's eyes widened as he found himself trap staring into Sasuke's activated Sharingan. Watching as the black comas swirled around Naruto felt his eyelids flutter, everything was growing hazy. He felt his control over his own body leave him as his eyes rolled back. His eyelids closed as he completely lost consciousness.

As the smaller boy's eyes rolled back Sasuke crouched down pulling him forward over his shoulder. Sasuke leapt into the trees just as the other members of the team came bursting into the forest, having felt the flashes of chakra and heard their yelling.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bringing her hand up to her mouth Sakura stifled a sob when she recognized Sasuke standing on a limb above them with Naruto slung over his shoulder. Their ex-teammate had been missing for so many years, Sakura had basically given up ever seeing him again but, there he stood on the limb like he had walked out of a dream. His dark black hair still style the same as at it had been while they were growing up, he had obviously grown taller, and he was wearing a dark colored traditional haori and hakama.

Looking around she found Sai out cold lying against a tree. From the sound of the impact she had heard she knew he was hurting. Sai would have to wait though, for it was the smaller blonde she was currently worried about. She knew Sasuke had tried to kill Naruto once and the memory of Naruto hanging limply skewered on the fang of one of Orochimaru's snake was still fresh in her mind.

"Sasuke . . . what did you do to him? Please don't hurt Naruto." Staring down from his perch Sasuke sneered at her for assuming that he would harm his friend. Yes he did try once, but he realized he couldn't bear to harm the blonde fool. "Tch . . . I'm not going to harm him." Jerking his head toward Sai's fallen form, he continued. "It was that bastard you tried to replace me with that was making unwanted advances on him. Naruto's the only good thing that was in Konoha, but if this is how my friend is treated when I'm not there to take care of him then I'll not leave him with you."

Yamato moved to try and stop Sasuke, throwing several shuriken at his position, of course with his training from the criminal Sennin and his Sharingan Sasuke easily dodged them. "I cannot allow you to abduct Naruto. What are your plans for him? You know he is loyal to Konoha when he awakens he will fight you."

Sasuke laughed humorlessly at the so-called Jounin leader. "You don't understand just how loyal Naruto is to our friendship, he just told me I was his best friend. I will simply change his mind about Konoha." With that he reached up and pulled Naruto's hitai-ate off tossing it to Sakura who easily caught it. "Return that to Iruka-sensei, Naruto told me once the sensei had gifted him with his own when he passed him to Genin."

Pulling the forehead protector to her chest Sakura rushed toward the tree channeling her chakra into her feet as she pleaded. "Don't Sasuke, don't take him." Using a transportation jutsu once taught to him by Kakashi, Sasuke and Naruto were surrounded by a twirling wind of leaves. "Konoha had their chance. Konoha allowed people like that one near him so he could hurt him. I won't leave my only precious person to the likes of your kind any longer." His cold haunting voice said as the missing-nin disappeared from view with Naruto in tow.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Godaime: 5th Hokage

Ero Sennin: perverted hermit

Sennin: A wandering hermit or wise man. People who obtain this unofficial title are very skilled in various jutsus and have strength comparable to that of the Kage of a village. This is the spelling used by the web sites I used for my information.

Genin: Rookie/lower ninja. Acquire forehead protector and are grouped in teams of 3 with a Jounin sensei.

Chuunin: After at least 8 missions Genins can be nominated by their Jounin sensei to participate in the Chuunin selection exam. Chuunin perform C to B rank missions. Acquire military jacket /vest.

Jounin: Level after Chuunin, elite ninja. Can take on Genin teams, do A and S rank missions. Perform other positions in village.

usuratonkachi: total moron (Sasuke's pet name for Naruto)

hitai-ate: forehead protector

shuriken: throwing star.

haori: is a hip or thigh-length kimono coat, originally reserved for men.

hakama: is a divided or undivided skirt, rather like a wide pair of pants. Traditionally worn by men also worn in certain martial arts.