Diaries Of The Supernatural by Crimson Lily
Summary: Most people wish that they were anything but normal. Wish for that supernatural quality that made you so different from everyone else. But for some, being supernatural was a curse. A gift…and yet a curse that prevented even the chance for a normal life. This was the very reason that these four children were being hunted. They were being hunted by the Doctors that gave them these supernatural qualities. On the day that these children escaped from the Experimental Station that they were being held in, two of the four were separated from the group, and no matter how hard the remaining two searched, those children were nowhere to be found. The two remaining children assumed that the two lost friends were dead, and continued running, running far away from the Station and the men that ran it. But in their hearts, they both wished that maybe…just maybe, their friends were alive, somehow. That they would find their friends again, and they would all remain together to try to live a somewhat normal life. Because trust me, being supernatural isn't something that anyone should wish for. Photobucket
Categories: Alternate Universe & Crossovers > High School Fics, Het Romance > Fluff, Alternate Universe & Crossovers > Real World Characters: Hinata Hyuuga, Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance, Supernatural
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11329 Read: 11029 Published: 22/07/09 Updated: 29/12/09

1. Prologue: Escape by Crimson Lily

2. Chapter 1: First Day by Crimson Lily

3. Chapter 2: Memories and Conversations by Crimson Lily

4. Author Note: Character Pictures by Crimson Lily

5. Chapter 3: Strange Things by Crimson Lily

6. Chapter 4: So Soon? by Crimson Lily

Prologue: Escape by Crimson Lily
Author's Notes:
okay, i just felt like posting this new story, totally got the idea a few days ago, and i feel like giving it a run.

Please review....even if you dont like it!!! :D
Prologue: Escape



Icy water dripped from the ceiling above the four running children, a small droplet falling onto the cheek of the blonde boy whose cerulean blue eyes were narrowed in concentration. The nine year old didn’t even bother to wipe the water away, instead running even faster, the three others close behind him.

Their bare feet pattered almost noiselessly against the grimy tile beneath them, and the only sound in the tightly enclosed sewer tunnel was the children’s labored breathing as they ran through the hallways that were so long that the ends were obscured by darkness. They were running so quickly that to anyone passing, they would seem to be only blurs.

That was to be expected. They had been designed to be fast. Their bones were lighter, stronger.

The four children came to a path that was blocked by a large metal gate that rose far above their heads. But without missing a beat they tensed in preparation, and in the next second were leaping effortlessly to land on the other side, their bare feet slipping slightly on the moist floor before regaining their powerful strides.

They had been designed to be strong. Much stronger than was normal for nine year olds.

The tallest one, a dark haired boy with dark eyes glanced over at the pale girl beside him. Her short chin length hair stuck to her sweaty face, and her pale lavender eyes were wide with fright.

The dark eyed boy was just as afraid as she was. They were all afraid.

Unlike most nine year olds their age, they knew the meaning of true fear. They had been raised in cages, raised with the Doctors with those sharp metal knives poking them often, writing down their reactions. Those Doctors had made them run fast, made them lift heavy metal objects to see what they could do.

Doctors were evil.

That’s why they were running. Running away from the Experimental Station that had been their home for the short nine years of their lives. They wanted out, they wanted freedom.

The blonde in front of them faltered, and the group slowed as the small boy panted heavily, slumping to the ground in exhaustion.

The thin girl with deep cherry-red hair that went to her shoulders stopped beside him, and put a hand on his shoulder.

“You okay?”

The blonde nodded, and the red-head and the dark haired boy met eyes for a moment. The pale eyed girl stepped forward, and helped the shaky blonde to his feet.

“Just a bit farther. We have to go.”

The blonde nodded, and they started running again. The red-head stuck close to the blonde, eyes on him intently. The pale eyed girl and the other boy ran behind, glancing behind every minute or so.

Because the Doctors would be sure to be looking for them. They were their most prized experiments after all.

The black haired boy suddenly felt a vibration beneath his feet, and put out his hand to warn the pale eyed girl beside him when a dart whistled past his cheek. He yelled to the others, and they ran as fast as they could. They could hear the voices of Doctors behind them, and fear pounded in their veins.

The blonde ran in front, the red-head right behind him. The darker haired ones were close behind. The blonde spotted a ladder with a latched exit, and leapt toward it. He scrambled up, and swung open the hatch door, blinking as bright sunlight hit his face. The boy crawled out, and held out a hand to the girl behind him, heaving her up onto the solid ground beside him. The girl helped the pale eyed girl up, and the blonde helped the dark haired boy up as well. They were standing on a huge grassy plain that was ringed by large trees. The sound of a rushing river filled their ears; there was a gorge that ran along the right side of the plains, near the trees. They all turned to run, but suddenly something hit the dark haired boy in the side, making him cry out.

The boy was sent flying, and the dark haired girl ran to help him. They both turned to face the enemy. It was a large German Shepherd whose fangs were bared and ready to snap at the two children. The blonde yelled angrily, and was about to run to help when a Doctor blocked his way. The man’s smile was sickeningly sweet.

“Oh, don’t go running off too soon children. We still haven’t finished with you four.”

The red-head girl snarled under her breath, and rushed at the man. The Doctor seemed smug. What did he have to fear? He was stronger than this nine year old. Sure, she was one of the special cases, but that was all.

The girl launched herself at the man, and sent her fist flying at his face. The Doctor’s last expression before he crumpled was pure astonishment before blood spluttered out of his nose as it broke, and he fell, screaming in pain. The blonde grinned grimly, and pulled on the girls arm. She hesitated for a moment before letting him pull her toward the other two. But yet another man stood in his way, this one holding a small device that held several sinister looking darts. The boy glared, and before the man could blink, he was on the ground, his leg broken and useless. Before the Doctor could even scream, the boy had punched his jaw, and after that the man was silent.

Meanwhile, the pale eyed girl was holding her own against the ferocious canine that was snarling at her, the other boy beating the nearest Doctor to a pulp. The dog was sent flying as the girl’s foot went slamming into the dog’s chest. It ran away, yelping as it limped as quickly as it could, and the men that were beginning to circle the children cursed. They held up their dart guns, and were about to shoot when the guns were knocked out of their hands. The men looked around, searching for the person who had done this, and suddenly all of the men were knocked from their feet, and they landed roughly on their backs. The blonde became visible again as he slowed to a stop, smirking.

“Am I too fast for you?” He said innocently. The men gulped silently as the boy’s blue eyes narrowed evilly.

The red haired girl pulled on the blonde’s arm. “C’mon, let’s go.”

They all ran for the trees, running along the cliff that revealed the thick river that rushed past, nearly a hundred feet below. The red haired girl glanced back, and saw that the Doctor’s were crowding into cars. They were catching up.

Suddenly, the girl stepped on a piece of crumbling rock, and her foot slipped, sending her entire body flying down toward the rushing water. She screamed, and saw that her misstep had caused the rock that her blonde friend was standing on to crumble also. They both flew toward the water, and the other two yelled, trying to grab them.

But it was too unexpected, and the two were lost from view as they hit the water. The black haired girl screamed, and the dark eyed boy yelled.

“Fly!” The girl grabbed onto the boy’s hand, and the two of them leapt over the ledge.

The girl snapped open snowy white wings, her shirt getting torn in the back as the strong wings pushed through. The boy dropped unexpectedly, but the girl kept her hold on him, and they both dove down toward the river. The boy saw a dark red head bob in the water, and he reached out his hand. The red head was sputtering as she floated, her vibrant emerald green eyes looking around for her blonde companion. He yelled her name, and she looked up, and stretched out her hand.

Their hands were inches apart, but then she dropped beneath the water, and the boy saw the waterfall that fell hundreds of feet down into the frothing water below. He searched frantically, and saw the two children swimming toward each other. The winged girl above him yelled, and the girl looked up, locking gazes with the dark eyed boy.

Green eyes met black, and those pink lips opened to yell, but they both dropped over the edge. The black haired boy screamed, but his scream was lost in the roar of the rivers rush towards the edge. The two hovered over the edge, and glided down, calling their friend’s names as they went.

But there was nothing. There was no sign of them as they landed on the small grassy slope that led to the water. The black haired boy ran to the water, and rushed out, yelling their names as loudly as he could. The girl joined him gliding over the water, her pale lavender eyes searching frantically.

Hours later, the sun was slowly sinking into the horizon, and the two collapsed on the grassy slope.

The boy pounded his fists against the ground, tears streaming down his ashen cheeks as he screamed his pain and anguish.

Those two had been with him for as long as he could remember. And in an instant, they were torn from him.

The girl was quietly sobbing behind him, and her wings were limp and lifeless as they folded slowly against her back. She moved towards him, and they held hands, taking strength in their clasped hands.

They remained there for a long time, but they finally heard the sounds of footsteps, and they knew that they had to keep running, running far enough so that the Doctor’s could never find them. So they could live a somewhat normal life, not one filled with needles and tests and machines.

Even as they stood to leave, they unconsciously searched for the two children, searched for any sign of a red head and a blonde.

But it was useless; because they were gone.
Chapter 1: First Day by Crimson Lily
Author's Notes:
okay, heres the next chapter! hope you guys like it, and please review! :D
oh, and sorry if they're a bit short...thats just the way they are for the present, and i'll try to make them longer!
Chapter 1: First Day



Sasuke bolted upright, his chest heaving, and his heart racing as he slowly came to himself. The dark haired teen sighed, and collapsed back into the blankets, rubbing a hand over his face as his heartbeat slowed. He dimly noted that there were tears streaming from his eyes, and he was grateful that his friend – and roommate – wasn’t here to see them.

That nightmare hadn’t haunted his dreams in a long time, so why was it suddenly at the foremost of his thoughts? Why was the dreadful day of their escape still causing him so much anguish?

Naruto and Sakura were gone; he knew that. He had known that fact for nearly eight years. Both he and Hinata had accepted that they would never see their friends again. They had run, and hidden themselves here, in Konoha. It was a small secluded town that never attracted much attention. Perfect for hiding from the Doctors.

Sasuke shivered as the memories came back. The needles, the running, the terror-filled adrenaline that pumped through him as he saw his two friends fall, Sakura’s green eyes boring into his.

Sasuke choked back a sob as he buried his head into his hands.

Hinata’s soft footsteps pattered against the hard wood floor of their apartment, and he heard the door open.

“Sasuke? Are you alright? I heard…”

Sasuke turned away from her, hurriedly wiping the tears away. Hinata sat next to him, and pushed the strands of hair away from his clammy forehead.

“You dreamed about them last night.” It wasn’t a question, and Sasuke knew that she had seen the tears on his face. Thinking about them was the only thing that could make Sasuke cry like this.

The seventeen year old gritted his teeth. “Yes.”

“I miss them too. But you know, as I’ve said before, there’s a chance that–”

Sasuke stood up, and made his way over to the open doorway. “Hinata, stop this. Naruto and Sakura are gone. Thinking that somehow they’re alive is just…making it worse.”

Hinata sighed, standing up and moving past him into the living room. She was wearing a tank top, with slits cut in the back for her snowy white wings, which were folded loosely against her back. Unlike Sasuke, her ability was permanent, and though it was useful, it made it harder for her to put on the role of an ordinary seventeen year old.

Ordinary, Sasuke snorted to himself, what a joke…

Hinata was setting the table with plates filled with bacon and scrambled eggs. Sasuke waited until she came around to where he was standing again before catching her hand.

“Hinata, I’m not trying to be cruel, I’m just being realistic. It won’t help us to keep wishing for what…isn’t possible.”

Hinata looked up at him, her pale lavender eyes full of sadness. “I know, Sasuke. I know.”

Sasuke sighed, patting her head softly before sitting down to eat. Hinata sat as well, and spoke.

“We should leave in ten minutes if we’re going to get to school on time.” Sasuke nodded in affirmation, and the two quickly finished eating before going into their rooms to change for school.

Imagine it; regular school at Konoha High.

The two of them were relatively at ease here in Konoha. Not safe, not safe in any way. Safe was having the knowledge that no one was hunting you. And they definitely didn’t have that. But instead at ease, for the present at least.

The Doctors were still after them, and it was a wonder that they hadn’t found them so far. Of course, Sasuke’s mind manipulating ability was pretty handy when it came to people having any suspicions about who they were.

Hinata came out wearing a baggy gray sweatshirt that went to just above her knees, successfully concealing her wings that were tucked tightly against her back. She wore frayed, comfortable jeans, ones that were easy to move in. There was no question of getting clothes that were intended for fashion purposes. Fighting in skinny jeans was just impossible. Skirts and dresses were just plain stupid. Why would a girl that can fly wear something like that? Seriously…

Sasuke came out in a dark blue t-shirt and jeans. Keep it simple, but most importantly keep it inconspicuous. Nothing was more important than keeping a low profile, even if you could wipe the suspicion from their thoughts the moment they thought of it.

They smiled at each other, and picked up their bags, slinging them over their shoulders as they exited the apartment, locking it behind them.

Sasuke took a deep breath as they started the mile trek to school. They probably could probably run it in a minute or so, but they had to keep up the whole ordinary status. To everyone at Konoha High, Sasuke and Hinata were just two kids, two regular kids with extraordinarily good looks. Ugh…what a bother.

Sasuke groaned, and Hinata smiled.

“I bet that those girls haven’t given up. Even though you told them that you were going out with me just to stop them from coming to our apartment.”

Sasuke smirked at the memory. Their faces had been priceless. Hinata and he were of course not going out; they were too close for that kind of relationship. Sasuke knew that even if he tried, he couldn’t see Hinata in a romantic light. Hinata was like his sister, more than that, his best friend.

That smirk faded from his face as he caught sight of the group of goggling girls that were waiting for them at the entrance of the Konoha High School grounds. He sighed, looking over at Hinata desperately. Hinata smirked, and slipped her hand in his own, squeezing slightly to comfort him.

They were too close to talk without being overheard, so Hinata thought the message to Sasuke, who was bound to be listening.

Just ignore them. They’ll ease up in a week or so if you don’t acknowledge them at all.

Sasuke nodded, but he still wasn’t so sure.

They walked up to the gates.

“Hey Sasuke-kun! Want to come with me and–”

The pair walked past them, not even flickering an eyelash in the girls’ direction. They gasped in horror; one of them even started crying.

Sasuke shared a glance with the girl beside him, both of their expressions the same.

Hinata giggled to herself, and Sasuke chuckled softly.

People barely spared a glance in the two dark haired teens as they walked to their first class. History, with Kakashi.

Now that was a total waste of a class. They shouldn’t even call it History, instead naming it: ‘Do absolutely nothing while the teacher comes fifty-five minutes late to class and then uses all the time he has left to dismiss us’. Why the School Board hadn’t found out about this was beyond Sasuke.

They all sat down in their seats, and were shocked to see that Kakashi was actually behind his desk, reading a small book that had a bright yellow cover. He waited until everyone had taken their seats before clearing his throat.

“Alright class, this morning we have two new students coming to Konoha today, so I want you all to be welcoming and–”

Kakashi stopped speaking abruptly as the class heard loud running in the hall, accompanied by equally loud voices.

“Hey, the class is over here idiot!”

“So I didn’t know which room it was, big deal!”

“It’s a big deal, the classes have already started!” The door opened, and two figures burst inside, faces anxious. A girl’s voice continued speaking as they walked in the door. If we don’t hurry we’ll be la…te.”

The girl trailed off as she realized that all eyes were glued to her.

The boy next to her snorted, beet red. “Now who’s the idiot…”

Shut up!” The girl hissed, and smiled at the teacher.

Unbeknownst to the rest of the classroom, two teens had gone deathly still, their eyes wide and their minds completely blank.

Because the two high school students that had just walked in…were Sakura and Naruto, the two kids that had fallen over the waterfall all those years ago.

It couldn’t be possible…but here they were, smiling nervously at the class.

Naruto was the same. His tan skin was the same tan that it was back then, and his blonde hair was slightly longer, but as spiky as Sasuke remembered it to be. His cheery cerulean blue eyes were the same vibrant blue, and his beaming grin brightened his handsome face.

Sakura’s dark red hair was longer, going in thick waves to her waist, and she was taller, but her head came only to Naruto’s collar bone. Her pale creamy skin the same shade as it was back then, and those eyes were the same emerald shade that seemed to take in everything around her.

The girl in question, seeming to feel his gaze, chose that moment to lock eyes with him.
Chapter 2: Memories and Conversations by Crimson Lily
Author's Notes:
okay, heres the next chapter! hope you guys like it, and PLEASE REVIEW!!! :D
Chapter 2: Memories and Conversations



Sakura’s emerald green eyes bored into Sasuke’s onyx ones for a long moment, and Sasuke waited for the recognition, the spark to light up her face and the shock to wash over her in a wave.

But after a second or so…she looked away nervously, seeming to be frightened by Sasuke’s stare. There was nothing, no recognition. Nothing.

Sasuke shared a confused look with Hinata, whose face was pale and yet flushed from excitement. The boy could almost feel the smugness radiating off of her. He rolled his eyes.

So she had been right. It wasn’t something to freak out over. But then Sasuke’s eyes gravitated toward Sakura again, and that statement’s solidness seemed to diminish slowly but surely.

This was definitely something to freak out about.

Kakashi chuckled, and stood to wave cheerfully at them. “Alright class, settle down.” A low murmur of astonishment had risen when the two had entered the room. “And please welcome your new classmates. Would you two like to introduce yourselves?”

Sakura smirked. “No, I don’t think I do.”

There was silence, and the class looked nervously at each other. Sasuke looked at Sakura with wondering eyes, noting with satisfaction that the girl’s bold, clever attitude hadn’t changed one bit.

Kakashi coughed, and blinked a few times. “Um, well, in that case–”

Naruto started laughing, and Sakura grinned apologetically.

“I was just kidding! Jeez you guys have no sense of humor whatsoever…” She muttered that second part to herself, and then went on in a louder voice. “Anyway, I’m Sakura.”

Naruto pointed to himself. “And I’m Naruto, the fastest track runner that ever lived!”

The class all sweat dropped at his obnoxiously confident tone, and glanced at Sasuke, seeing his reaction. Sasuke was not popular, so he wasn’t very well known. But one thing was a proven fact.

Sasuke was the fastest track runner in the school. Hinata was in close second, but Sasuke still surpassed her.

It was almost like magic, seeing the two teens run. They looked as though they were barely trying at all, and yet they bolted past even the instructor, who was known for his speed. It was, instead of weird, accepted as pure genetics on their part.

Oh if only they knew.

In truth, Sasuke and Hinata were holding back most of their speed. They could run much faster than any human at full speed, but to fit in, they slowed down considerably. Even so, that still made them the fastest kids in school. It was almost funny. To hold back any more would make the two to be practically walking.

Sasuke looked unperturbed, and he silently agreed with Naruto.

After all, why wouldn’t someone with super speed be the best track runner? And Naruto was also one of them: engineered beings that were physically enhanced to be stronger and faster than ordinary humans. Even without super speed, Sasuke and Hinata were faster than anyone there, so it was only natural that Naruto should be faster than them, as his body was specifically adapted to using his super speed.

Naruto beamed, and Kakashi smiled at him. “Alright, you two can sit…Hm…”

The only two seats were beside Naruto and Sasuke. Oh how cliché…for the long lost companions to be placed next to the two people who wanted to talk to them most.

“Naruto, you can sit next to Sasuke, and Sakura, you can go next to Hinata over there. You two, raise your hands.”

Sasuke raised his hand, and Naruto’s eyes flashed to his ones. He sat down in his chair, and glowered over at Sasuke, who groaned internally.

It seems that Naruto is as competitive as usual. He must have seen the class glance at Sasuke, and put two and two together.

“You run track?”

Sasuke nodded, still unable to stop looking at the boy next to him. It was still unbelievable to imagine that his long lost friend Naruto was actually sitting here next to him…breathing, still alive.

Naruto grinned evilly. “Well, I’m going to kick your ass, so watch out!”

“Yeah…whatever.”

Naruto fumed, and Sasuke grinned to himself. Irritating Naruto was as entertaining as it was back then. What a comfort.

Kakashi made his way over to the door, and said loudly. “Alright, I have an out of school errand to run, so you guys stay in here till class is over.”

And he was gone. Sasuke rolled his eyes.

Naruto sighed, and glanced over at Sakura, and his eyes widened as he took in Hinata, who was staring at Sakura like she was the most intriguing film. Sakura was chatting away happily, unbeknownst to the fact that Hinata’s eyes were overjoyed to the point of tears.

“Whoa…she’s really pretty!”

Sasuke snorted. “Her name’s Hinata.”

Hinata glanced over at Sasuke when she heard her name – she still heard even though he had said it softly – and smiled happily at Naruto, who blushed bright red before turning away. But his eyes lingered over her glossy straight black hair that went in soft layers to the nape of her neck as he turned.

Sasuke snorted again, and Naruto glared. “Hey, what’s so funny?”

“Nothing.”

“You’re a jerk, you know that?!”

Sasuke ignored this, and glanced over at Sakura again, who was also looking over at him. Her cheeks turned pink when she realized that she had been caught, and hurriedly turned around.

“Are you and Sakura related?”

Naruto seemed surprised by the question, and shook his head. “Nah. She’s just a really good friend of mine. We both grew up together, you know, us not having any parents or anything.”

Sasuke raised an eyebrow, and was about to ask another question when Naruto turned to talk to the kid next to him. The dark haired teen sighed. Getting anything out of Naruto was going to a challenge.

I hope Hinata’s doing better than I am… Sasuke thought, knowing that Hinata was doing the same thing he was.


***



Hinata stared at the girl as she sat down, blinking as the girl’s long red hair spilled over the back of her chair, a river of silky waves.

Sakura turned to Hinata, and grinned. “Hey, you must be Hinata!” Hinata nodded, and Sakura went on, leaning her back against her seat. “My brother Naruto and I–”

“You two are related?”

Sakura chuckled. “Well, not really, I just like to call him my brother. He practically is my brother, seeing how we live together.”

Hinata smiled, and asked. “Where did you guys come from?”

“Oh, we just came from a different school outside of Konoha. It’s a few hours away.”

“Why’d you leave?”

“Oh, things weren’t working over there. Weird things kept happening, and we just finally got to a point where we both said ‘Oh, the hell with it, we’re moving.’”

Hinata’s brow furrowed nervously. “What sorts of things?”

Sakura shrugged. “Just weird stuff, nothing major. It got kinda annoying after a while.”

Hinata suddenly heard her name, and turned her head slightly to find herself staring at Naruto’s blue eyes. She smiled widely at him, overjoyed that she could look at him again after all this time, and he blushed bright red.

Hinata laughed softly at that. Hinata and Sasuke had always been subject to looks from members of the opposite sex, it wasn’t anything unusual. As enhanced human beings, it was only natural that the scientists would want the beings to be physically beautiful. It was a weird human aspect, the need for perfection. Anyway, Naruto’s blush was actually rather cute, in a childish sort of way. It made him much more…likeable. Hinata smiled to herself, and listened to Sakura as she continued speaking.

“So, what’s Konoha like?”

Hinata thought about it before answering. “It’s actually rather boring, in a nice way though. The shopping place is quiet, normal. I like it a lot, and the apartments are quite cheap.”

Sakura grinned. “I know! Naruto and I got an apartment really easily! The only problem is that now we have no job, seeing as we quit them when we moved.”

Hinata laughed. “Don’t worry, you’ll find one in no time.”

Sakura sighed in relief, and glanced over at Naruto again, only to find that Sasuke was staring at her. She flushed, and whirled around again. Hinata smirked slightly, and Sakura bit her lip.

“Who is he? And why does he keep staring at me? I mean, he’s gorgeous and all…but I don’t really know him, so it’s kinda creepy.”

Hinata glanced at Sasuke, who was talking to Naruto again, before answering. “He’s my brother.”

“Really?”

Hinata grinned mischievously before answering, in the exact words Sakura had used. “Well, not really, I just like to call him my brother. He practically is my brother, seeing how we live together.”

Sakura grinned back when she got it, and laughed. “Wow…that’s a really weird coincidence! Not in a bad way, but wow!”

Hinata laughed with her.

Hinata didn’t have any friends that were girls, and having another girl to laugh with after all this time was wonderful.


***


The rest of the school day was uneventful, seeing as to Sasuke and Hinata’s extreme disappointment, neither Sakura nor Naruto were in any of their other classes.

Hinata was waiting for Sasuke near the school gates after the bell rang, nearly jumping up and down with happiness.

Sasuke was overjoyed as well, but he was Sasuke. Only someone who knew him really well knew that the small smile on his face was translated as a beaming grin.

Hinata saw her friend walking over, and waved frantically. When Sasuke reached her, she started talking, walking with him as they made their way down the road.

“Sasuke can you believe it? They’re actually alive! I knew it!”

Sasuke smiled. “I know, but why don’t they remember us?”

“Sasuke, they fell over a waterfall, they probably hit their head or something like that.”

“Hn.”

Hinata was about to keep talking when a familiar voice yelled out. “Hinata!”

The two turned around to see Sakura and Naruto running to catch up with them.

“Sorry, but do you guys know where this building is from here? I have no idea!”

Sakura held out a small map as she spoke, pointing to a small dot with an address printed next to it.

Sasuke studied it, and let out a sigh of surprise as he recognized that address. Hinata was staring at it with her mouth open.

Hinata spoke. “Um, yeah, I do. Why?”

“That’s where our apartment is.”

Sasuke, who was staring off into space, blinked.

Because that building…was the same building in which Sasuke and Hinata’s apartment room was.
Author Note: Character Pictures by Crimson Lily
Author's Notes:
just some pictures. Hope you guys like them! next chapters coming soon!!!
Character Pictures:


I found these on the Internet, and I really, really liked them. Sorry if they’re different sizes – I think that Sakura’s is small, so sorry about that – I’m just a failure at computer stuff, so sorry! Hope you guys like them as much as I do!






Here’s Hinata.


Hinata - Supernatural


I really thought that this one was perfect because it not only is an amazing picture, but also because the graceful yet fragile side of Hinata is expressed, and the ethereal glow gives her a slightly more magical sense than the other three. You’ll see why this is important later in the story.

***


This is Sasuke.


Sasuke - Supernatural

I loved this picture because it shows off Sasuke’s good looks, but also makes him look like a normal high school teenager. Also his expression was one of indifference. This is what Sasuke is like on the outside in this story, but those who know him well understand that Sasuke really does care, he just keep it hidden because those kinds of open emotions make him feel too exposed, and he likes being in control of himself and the situation at all times. And he’s not emo or anything…just quiet and observant.

***


The one and only Naruto.


Naruto - Supernatural


I love this picture because it makes Naruto look amazing (Naruto is pretty damn sexy…and all of you who say otherwise are just kidding yourselves into blatant absurdity) while also, like Hinata, retaining some of his innocence. Naruto is unselfish, and the hand that is extended represents the friendship and loyalty he extends toward people he cares about. But he also has things he hides beneath his kind exterior, things that are so safely hidden that Naruto himself is almost unaware that they are there.

***


And finally, Sakura. (Sorry if the picture’s small…I tried to make it as large as I could, but I probably screwed it up.)


Sakura - Supernatural


First of all, for all those who are wondering why I made Sakura’s hair red…I made it red because: 1) Normal people do not have pink hair. They just don’t. As much as I love Sakura’s pink hair, it just had to go. 2) I think she looks better with red hair. More mature, more capable. Pink is too obnoxious, and I didn’t want to get rid of the pink all together, so I made it a really dark pink. Yes it’s not pink, its red, but I tried. Anyway, I picked this picture because I liked how Sakura is positioned; thinking seriously to herself while the moon is shining outside. Sakura really is a serious person, and the loud, sarcastic part of her is a mask that she uses when she is scared or nervous, to protect herself. I’m not saying she’s not playful, but she really is quite thoughtful and mature inside. That’s why Naruto and Sakura make such a good team. They both have things they’re hiding beneath the exterior. This shadowy yet bright scene created a very nice picture in my opinion, and that’s why I picked it for her picture.


***

That’s it! Hope you guys liked it – please review and tell me if you guys like the pics…it would be nice.

See you guys next chapter!


~Crimson Lily
Chapter 3: Strange Things by Crimson Lily
Author's Notes:
please review!
:D
Chapter 3: Strange Things


Sasuke stared at Hinata, while the two teens standing next to them kept smiling expectantly. Hinata’s eyes were wide, but she quickly covered it up as Sasuke shot her a warning look, and she grinned.

“Actually, that’s the same apartment building Sasuke and I live in…so we can take you there.”

Naruto punched the air. “Yes!”

Sakura smiled in relief. “Thank god…” She leaned in to whisper. “Neither of us are very good at reading maps, so…”

“Hey! I’m the master of reading maps!”

Sakura rolled her eyes, muttering. “Says the idiot who asked me what the ‘little circle thing with the letters N, W, S, and E around it’ was…”

Naruto flushed, and Sasuke smirked, Hinata holding back a giggle. Sakura smiled at Naruto to reassure him, and the group set off. The sidewalk wasn’t large enough for them to all walk side-by-side, and it so happened that Sasuke and Naruto were in front, while Hinata and Sakura trailed behind, talking quietly.

The two boys almost immediately started arguing, rather, Naruto argued while Sasuke subtly insulted Naruto by annoying the hell out of him. Some things just never changed.

“I’ll beat you at the track tryouts this Friday, just wait and see!”

“Hn.”

“Don’t Hn me, bastard! You’re just afraid that you’ll lose!”

“Yeah…right.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“You heard me, idiot.”

“You–!”

Sakura rolled her eyes, and Hinata grinned. “I think Naruto feels just a bit threatened.”

Sakura groaned. “Unfortunately, you’re absolutely right. He always gets like this…it’s so embarrassing.”

Hinata smiled, and stared at the boys before asking casually. “Sorry if I’m prying, but what exactly made you guys leave?”

Sakura shrugged. “Oh, it’s fine. Its just…that no one seems to believe us when we tell them, so I just assumed you’d be the same way.”

“Try me...”

Sakura sighed, staring at Naruto’s blonde head, and spoke softly. “It’s just that…things started happening, like I said before. Strange…things.”

“Like…?”

“We started seeing really strange people following us–”

Sasuke’s head jerked at her words, and Naruto didn’t notice, too occupied in describing just how badly he’d kick Sasuke’s ass during the track team tryouts. Sakura didn’t notice, and went on.

“–and trying to break into our house. They wore these badges on their chests, white with green and red crisscrossing across the front. They started showing up everywhere…and then…”

Sasuke glanced back to stare at Hinata, who was wide eyed as Sakura continued her story. “…weird things started happening.”

Hinata pressed. “Like what?”

Sakura frowned. “It’s crazy…you wouldn’t believe me.”

“I think I can handle it.” Hinata said, smiling encouragingly.

“I started...feeling like I was going to explode when I got really angry, everything would go hazy, and my muscles started shifting in my skin. One time Naruto said my hair turned brown at the tips…it was scary. It hasn’t happened in a while, so I assume it was some kind of disorder that went away or something.”

Naruto was listening now, and he grinned rather nervously. “It was pretty freaky.”

Sasuke and Hinata glanced at each other, and Hinata smiled at Sakura.

“That sounds pretty weird. It’s good that you got over it though.”

Sakura grinned back. “Yeah, its nice to be away from the weirdness for a while.”

Sasuke smirked so widely that it was almost a grin, a loud chuckle escaping him. Naruto raised an eyebrow in confusion, but Sasuke didn’t seem to notice.

Oh…if only Sakura knew how weird things really were in Konoha, rather, how weird things were with the two teens who were in her mind normal


***


After walking the teens to their room, Hinata and Sasuke nearly sprinted back to their room, and the moment they closed the door Hinata started talking, her pale eyes gleaming anxiously.

“What’re we going to do? How’re we going to tell them that they’re–”

“We aren’t going to tell them.” Sasuke said quietly, and Hinata’s mouth dropped.

“What?”

Sasuke began to pace back and forth, his dark eyes serious. “If we tell them, they might not believe us, and then go spread rumors that would destroy our lives here.”

Hinata frowned. “Yeah…I guess you’re right. But what if Sakura gets angry, like she said? You know what her ability is…it could destroy everything. Naruto’s is just as revealing, but we can talk that one off without much trouble. But if Sakura turns into an animal right in front of a group of people…it wont go over well.”

Sasuke nodded. “And we need to keep a look out. If the…Doctors come here, we need to leave, find another place to hide.”

Hinata shivered at the thought, and both of them were silent, both reluctantly reliving the memories that surfaced when their life at the Experimental Station was mentioned.





Tiny hands gripping the bars of the cage, staring out in longing at the sunlight that streamed through the window. A small, dark-haired girl whimpered in pain at the electric restraints that were strapped tightly around her snowy wings, and the blonde boy held her hand in comfort, though he too was suffering from the restraint on his ankles. In the cage besides them, another dark haired boy and red haired girl sat silently. The girl’s emerald eyes flashed with sympathy, and she glanced at the boy beside her, who was deep within himself, onyx eyes empty and desolate. They all flinched when they heard the cage door opening in the dark haired girl and blonde boy’s cage, and she started to cry when she saw the cruel smile of the Doctor.

“Come with me, sweet little thing.”

The dark haired girl shook her head, and clung to the small boy beside her. He glared with fierce cerulean eyes at the man, who sighed, and moved forward to yank the girl from the boy’s arms.

The girl screamed, and the other two children felt tears escape their eyes as they saw the blonde boy leap up, and bite the Doctor’s arm, drawing blood.

“Why you little bastard!” The man hissed, and suddenly the boy was writhing on the ground, his eyes wide and bulging, and the anklets on his ankles glowing as electricity jolted through his system. The girl screamed even louder, and tried to reach the boy that was now limp and lifeless, his eyes closed.

The red haired girl cried into the dark haired boy’s shoulder, and both of them felt a twist in their guts as the girl’s screams were suddenly cut off, and all was eerily quiet.

A few minutes later, the real screaming started, and it was the sickening scream that could only be created by pure torture.

If she was lucky, torture was all she’d get.






Hinata felt her eyes watering at the memories, and Sasuke reached out to hold her tightly, both of them taking comfort in each other. It was nothing that any human being should have to go through, and yet…it didn’t really apply to them, did it?

They weren’t human.

They were engineered organisms built to destroy and conquer, that was what all of the Doctors told them. The flaw was that they had human minds, human souls. They felt, they loved, they questioned. That is what separated them from the rest of the mutants in the lab, the thing that made them almost useless. That’s why they had run away, because Sasuke had heard the Doctors thoughts.

A pity that we have to exterminate them…it’s not like they can feel or anything…they aren’t even supposed to be alive, really…

Supernatural beings of nature…if that’s even possible…

They weren’t even considered human beings, just lab rats that could be killed without any affect on anything around them, silently slipping into the black void without anyone noticing or caring.

Hinata pulled away, wiping at her eyes furiously, blinking back tears. “We need to come up with a plan.”

“What do you mean?”

“We have to find out a way to get their memories about us to come back…without allowing them to use their powers.”

Sasuke nodded, and the two sat down on the couch to think.


***

Sakura threw herself on the bed, leaning on her arm, her emerald eyes staring out at the city that was slowly dimming as the sun went down. Naruto was flicking through the channels of the T.V, settling down to watch the football game.

The red haired girl rolled her eyes. Naruto was obsessed with anything athletic…it got on her nerves sometimes.

It wasn’t only that…it was that boy in class. The one with such dark, intense eyes, the one that had stared at her without blinking for at least a minute. She had been flattered, and yet a little frightened at the same time. Those eyes seemed to be…expecting something of her, something that seemed to be dancing in front of her eyes and yet still invisible. She could feel it at the back of her mind, and familiarity around Hinata and Sasuke that made her slightly freaked out.

Hinata’s face…it had been so familiar, but what was even more familiar was the face of Sasuke. Everything about him screamed at her that she knew him. His shoulders, his hands, his thoughtful eyes that seemed to be able to see through her mind and unravel the tangles of her mind…

Sakura didn’t know that she was falling asleep, and it all seemed to fade away as images flashed through her mind.


Gloved hands, a crying woman clutching at her frantically, white lab coats. A light, the feeling of being pushed into a room, and then darkness once more. The dim light coming through the window, the light of the moon. A child sat in the corner, a child with the same eyes as Sasuke. Dark eyes…eyes that were afraid.

“You’re one of us, right?” The dark haired boy asked in a hoarse voice.

The thin faces of a blonde boy and a dark haired girl appeared from the bars of the cage beside them, and their eyes glittered eerily in the light.

“One of what?”

“Well, they told us that we were…one of the Supernatural.”



Sakura’s eyes opened as a scream was torn from her throat, and Naruto was in the room in the next second. It shocked her how quickly he could move sometimes, as if he was flying.

“Sakura? You okay?”

“I’m…I’m…” Tears were flowing down her cheeks in a torrent, and she raised her fingers to touch them in confusion. She didn’t know why she was sad, or why she was so afraid. So very afraid.

Naruto moved over to sit next to her, and put his long arm around her narrow shoulders, and let her cry into his chest.

“It’s okay, Sakura. It’s going to be okay.”

Sakura pulled away, and stared up at him.

“I don’t know why I’m like this…there’s nothing to be scared of, really, just…”

“Just?”

“I don’t know. Sasuke and Hinata, they don’t seem very normal, do they?”

Naruto’s eyebrows knitted in confusion. “What’re you talking about, Sakura? What brought on all of this, all of a sudden?”

Sakura turned away, her eyes dark and thoughtful. “Oh, it’s nothing. I’m just reading too much into things, as usual.”

Naruto watched her lay back down, and in a few moments she was asleep.

Is it really nothing, Sakura?


***

The man sat behind the desk, his dark eyes narrowed in restrained fury. His white coat hung on a rack beside the oak desk, and papers were strewn angrily on the surface of the wood, and his mouth turned down in a snarl.

His men, his very best men, had been unable to bring those four children back. Eight years, eight long years of searching, all met with the same result.

And he had almost had two of them, the Terra and the Ventus…but those little freaks had once again slipped through his fingers.

It had once been a great plan, to bring all four of the Supernatural together, to create that unlimited power…and then it had all gone wrong. They had become too intelligent, too dangerous. Maybe it was all a legend…but the girl…her features clearly point to being that element of the tale, that special being sent by the Gods to purge the world of evil.

Now they needed to be exterminated, because if they told anyone, their station would be burned to the ground. All that research…lost.

Yes, those four children needed to be found, and they needed to die.

The man coughed, and lit a cigarette, breathing the smoke hurriedly into his lungs. It relaxed him, and yet that coil of unease still remained in his gut as he watched the small trail of winding smoke drift up until it reached the ceiling, where it billowed out, it’s gray fingers reaching for an invisible target to throttle the life out of.
Chapter 4: So Soon? by Crimson Lily
Author's Notes:
finally! Sorry if its a little rushed, the whole plot-line, but i have to get things moving! Hope you guys like it, and please review!
Chapter 4: So Soon?



Friday came without much conflict, to the two frustrated teens’ relief, but the problem still stood as clear as it had before.

They didn’t know how to get Sakura and Naruto’s memories back.

Sasuke could manipulate their minds, but it was dangerous to go into the subconscious, it could damage both Sasuke and the person he was trying to manipulate. So using his ability was out. Showing them Hinata’s wings would probably send them into shock, and they’d run away from town again. Naruto could do that quite easily, even if he hadn’t unlocked his true power yet. Sakura could too, but in another totally different way that would send her into further shock.

Sasuke remembered when Sakura had first used her power, in the tiny cell that they had shared for the first portion of their lives at the Station, the shock, the screams, and the confusion. It had gotten better after a while, but the first few times had sent her over the edge. No…she couldn’t discover her power yet, couldn’t put them all in danger.

Hinata and Sasuke were silent as they dressed, and didn’t speak as they walked down the street. They were a bit earlier than usual, so they didn’t bother hurrying as they walked.

Hinata kept glancing back, and hung back a bit, as if searching for someone, and Sasuke sighed.

“We’ll see them at school, Hinata.”

“I know, I’m just…” Her pale eyes glanced around, and even though the street was empty she went silent, staring straight ahead once more.

Sasuke sighed, and her voice filtered into his mind. It wasn’t as if he meant to read his friend’s mind; he could consciously control whose mind he read, a blessing, actually. It was that she was purposefully thinking the thoughts at him, so he had no choice but to hear them.

I’m worried about them, Sasuke. What if Naruto exerts himself today at the track try-outs? What if Sakura is so emotionally affected by something that she transforms? I know you like these Track things, but if Naruto gets too excited, it could ruin everything!

Sasuke scowled, and glanced at her, rolling his eyes. Hinata bit her lip anxiously, but let it go. Who knows…maybe Sasuke would restrain himself this year.

Not likely. He was competitive…like most boys were. At least, Hinata thought most boys were. The only two boys she knew – even if one of them didn’t technically remember knowing her – were so freaking competitive, it was embarrassing.


***

Naruto tapped his fingers against the desk impatiently, watching the clock sluggishly tick….tick…..tick…………..tick

Were the hands slowing down, or was it just Naruto’s imagination?

The blonde got an exasperated glare from the girl next to him, whose perfectly straightened blonde hair was pulled in a sleek ponytail. Her blue eyes narrowed as they glared at his tapping fingers. Naruto glanced over at her in puzzlement, eyes taking in her angry scowl before shrugging, and the tapping continued.

“Hey, can you cut it out? We still have a few minutes left of class!” She hissed, and the teacher continued pointing things out on the board, oblivious.

Naruto stuck his tongue out, and continued tapping. It helped pass the time; learning about how animals’ bones grew into their adult ones sure wasn’t! The girl – Naruto couldn’t remember her name, even though he had been told the name by a number of guys who stared at her all the time – bristled, and faced forward again.

Naruto really couldn’t see what they saw in this girl…she wasn’t the best looking girl in school; she was annoying, loud, and rash…ugh!

Not like Hinata…

Naruto flushed at the thought of her clear gray eyes, her silky black hair that went to the nape of that slender neck, blowing around her face prettily when she turned to address the person who had called her name Her small, delicate hands as they smoothed down the flap of his jacket, so subtly and so unconsciously that Naruto almost didn’t notice. The warmth in her eyes as they looked at him, not with annoyance or flirtatious shyness. They just stared at him.

He felt Sakura glancing at him, and tilted his head back to glance at her. She was a few seats back, and he met her emerald green eyes for a moment before smiling, and turning around once more.

Naruto had watched Sakura carefully after that first night, the night where the muted voices of the football game commentators had been suddenly pierced by Sakura’s scream of terror. She had been sitting up in a circle of moonlight, tears making thick rivers on the ashen skin of her cheeks.

It had terrified him.

Naruto was used to being able to protect her, he had been the one who had carried her all those years ago, when they had washed up onto the river shore. It had been cold, and he had caught a terrible cold afterwards, but he had lifted Sakura, who was unconscious, onto his back and carried her down the road, the never-ending road. A kind woman who was part of a local Child Protection Agency had found them, and she had raised them in the shelter until they were old enough to go off on their own. That had been the plan, anyway. To let them go off on their own when they were eighteen.

But when Naruto turned fifteen, Sakura was attacked by men in white coats, and he had managed to get them away, hijacking a car to get them as far away as possible. It was then that Sakura’s panic-attacks started, the day that Sakura began to have those strange problems whenever she felt threatened or scared. Problems where her face would suddenly shift, as if something beneath was transforming into something else. She was just as frightened by it as Naruto was, but Naruto comforted her, telling her that it was all probably a phase, something that would wear off. She was still his best friend, nothing would replace her.

After a while, the panic attacks eased, somewhat, and the strange shifting of her face disappeared after a year or so. But there were still times when she’d get scared, really scared, and her face would shift again. Naruto could only comfort her, because he knew that it was a part of her, just like her fingers were a part of her.

The bell suddenly rung, jarring Naruto from his memories, and he stood jerkily, ignoring the flirty leer of appreciation he got from the blonde girl who had, only a few seconds ago, been snapping his head off, and was now raking her blue eyes over his body. Ugh. Girls like her were…so superficial. He hated people who were superficial…

Naruto shook his head to clear it, and put his hands behind his head, grinning at his sister-like friend who was smiling at him. Her long glossy red hair was loose and waving around her elbows, tucked behind her small, petite ears. She was really pretty, Naruto realized with a jerk, noticing the looks she got from the boys that she passed as she made her way down the row.

But at the same time, Naruto couldn’t feel anything besides sibling love for Sakura, no matter how he tried. It was just that…they didn’t connect on that level of intimacy. He could read her face, no sweat. But when it came to emotional things, he couldn’t read her. It was as if she was blocked off from him, her heart in a glass case that was inches from his fingers, but yet so far from his reach.

Sakura nudged him playfully, and he focused on her eyes once more. “So…are you going to Track try-outs?”

Naruto raised an eyebrow, silently questioning her sanity. She laughed, and punched him on the shoulder. “You’re no fun to tease, Shrimp…”

Naruto flushed at her pet name for him, and scowled, putting his hands behind his head. “Hey, don’t call me that! I’m not shorter than you anymore!”

“Naruto, on intellectual terms, I will always be taller than you…”

“But we’re not talking about intellectual terms, now are we?”

The two continued to banter as they made their way to the boy’s locker room, and Naruto gave her a playful shove before darting into the room, where all of the contenders were changing into their outfits. Sakura cringed at the memory of his choice of clothing, and hoped that she wouldn’t be in any way associated with him when he stepped out onto the track.

The red haired girl sighed, and suddenly felt a firm surface collide with her nose, and jumped back, opening her eyes to see a dark blue shirt that covered an indisputably male chest. Her eyes hesitatingly glanced up to stare into dark onyx eyes that were calm and cool, despite the fact that Sakura had nearly knocked him over.

She smiled weakly, not liking the way he remained silent, staring at her. Sasuke was nice, Sakura supposed, once you actually got him to talk. Normally, he was pretty quiet, the only person he willingly talked to being Hinata and Naruto – most of their “conversations” were instead “pointless arguments in which Naruto yelled loudly and Sasuke quietly insulted until Naruto was too tired to yell anymore” – and sometimes Sakura…only their conversations were always so…awkward.

Sakura brushed invisible dust off of her shirt, anything to break eye contact, and Sasuke coughed lightly, the silence growing uncomfortably, and Sakura flushed when she realized that she was blocking his way to the locker room. She hurriedly stepped out of the way, and walked quickly down the hall.

Sasuke’s voice spoke quietly toward her retreating back. “Are you trying out for Track?”

Sakura turned to look at him, and smiled slightly. “No, I’m not really into sports.”

“Hn.”

Sakura watched him disappear into the locker room, and sighed, stretching her arms over her head with a yawn.

“Sakura!” Sakura looked up to see Hinata walking towards her, clad in short shorts and a large sweatshirt that had the school logo on it, along with the words: KONOHA TRACK TEAM printed around it. Sakura grinned at her, and the two girls walked together toward the upper field track.

Hinata was quietly clipping back the layers of hair that hung around her face, and smiled at Sakura.

“I’m surprised you’re not trying out, you look like you’d be a good runner…”

Sakura shrugged. “I never really liked competing, it gets me all stressed.” Sakura shuddered at the thought, and Hinata laughed, patting her arm comfortingly.

Sakura and Hinata separated at the stairs, and Hinata waved before walking off. Sakura blinked, and looked closer.

Was there something on Hinata’s back, making the slight bulge, or was it Sakura’s imagination?

The red haired girl snorted, and made her way to the track, oblivious of the two men in white coats who were standing behind the jutting wall of the gym, watching her with cold, smug smiles that didn’t reach their emotionless eyes.


***


Sasuke and Hinata both froze when Naruto walked onto the track, and Sasuke started laughing so hard that Hinata had to smack him over the head to keep him quiet.

Naruto was clad in a set of running clothes that were such a stunningly bright orange that it made Hinata’s eyes water, and a neon orange headband clashed fiercely with his spiky blonde hair. Even his shoes were orange…and his face was split in such an excited, beaming grin that it made looking at anything besides his mercifully white socks vision-threatening.

Hinata tried to focus on her blue eyes, and waved him over.

He strutted over, blushing as his eyes unwillingly glanced at her long legs that were bared by the shorts. Sasuke cleared his throat, and Naruto glared at him.

“Ready to lose, bastard?”

“Not really.”

“Well, you better get ready then! ‘Cause I’m going to kick your ass!” Naruto punched the air, just as a loud bell rang, and Hinata nudged Naruto towards the track. The track coach’s voice rang out.

“Alright, seniors first, all line up, and wait for my mark!”

Naruto stood next to Sasuke, and Hinata stood next to him. Hinata stared at Sasuke until he looked at her, and she raised an eyebrow sternly. He rolled his eyes, just as the whistle blew.

Naruto and Sasuke took off, their legs pumping furiously as they ran. They barely noticed that Hinata was right behind them, her pale eyes watching them carefully. The sound of their feet hitting the ground filled Sasuke’s ears, and he vaguely remembered that he was supposed to be suppressing his speed. But Naruto sure wasn’t doing that, and Sasuke pushed ahead of him, smirking.

Hinata thought that doing this would be a bad idea, but Sasuke knew that this would be the only way to really bring out Naruto’s power without arousing too much suspicion. Sasuke would be there to stop him when he got too fast, and–

Naruto snarled, he and Sasuke inches apart as they rounded the first corner. There was a long stretch, and then there was a small brush covered area of hard packed dirt, and it slowly came into focus, as Naruto seemed to snap.

Sasuke felt the boy pushing past him; saw the shock in his blue eyes as his legs moved faster and faster.



“I’m Naruto…I can run fast, wanna see?” A small blonde boy chirped from the cell next to him, and a much younger Sasuke scowled.

“I don’t care.”

“Suuuuuurre you don’t.”

“I really don’t.” Sasuke smirked, and focused. “Oh, and calling me a ‘piece of crap left out in the sun too long’ isn’t very nice…”

“Wow!” Naruto exclaimed, not looking even a bit abashed at his rude thought being said aloud, and moved forward till his nose was almost touching the bars. “That’s cool! What’s your name again?”

Sasuke felt a small glow of something unfamiliar at the admiring tone of the stranger, and slowly moved forward, smiling for the first time in months.

“I’m Sasuke…”




Naruto’s legs blurred, slowly disappearing as his speed took hold. Sasuke saw the fear on his face, and Sasuke was about to pull him to a stop when something caught his eye, something that made his heart stop in his chest.

Two men, with white coats. They were walking after a girl who was making her way up the stairs. Moving toward a girl that was making her way around the corner, her emerald eyes calm…so unaware, no! Their hands reached out, and Sasuke acted without thinking. Hinata rushed forward, tackling Naruto with a yell, both of them tumbling from sight over the brush covered edge.

Sasuke broke off from the runners, and sprinted as fast as he could, back to the school grounds, ignoring the yells of the coach behind him. Those white-gloved hands had grabbed the girl’s arm, and he saw the terror cross her face as a scream pierced the air, unnoticed by anyone else. He yelled her name, and her emerald eyes looked up to meet his.

***

Sakura could feel her heart beating against her ribcage as the two men advanced, the fear that trickled through her system, as something seemed to snap within her mind. A wave of recognition rushed through her, and she felt tears escaping her control.

They were Doctors.

Sakura…remembered. Images flowed through her mind like rapid-fire, and she whimpered as panic racked through her frame. It was that shifting thing again, the need to be something else, the need to run.

She heard someone call her name, and looked up to see a dark haired boy running towards her.

Oh god…she knew him! Sasuke, the boy who had been with her, since…the beginning.

Sakura’s tears dripped down her face.

She remembered.


***


Sasuke flipped over the railing, and landed behind them, making the two white coats turn around. Sakura was crying, her chest heaving as she hyperventilated, her pupils pinpoints, her entire frame trembling uncontrollably. The sight sent acid churning through Sasuke’s gut, and he glared at the two doctors that were smiling eerily at him.

“So…even the Ignis is here? That must mean that your other little winged friend is here, too? Wonderful…” The taller doctor hissed, eyes brightening.

Sasuke growled, and reached into his heart for that power, and violently invaded the doctors’ minds, taking grim satisfaction at the surprise that flitted across their faces, the way their eyes bulged.

Take the girl, the shape shifter. We’ll use her as bait, for the Ventus.

If they failed, the Master would destroy them, just as he had destroyed the other men who had failed.

We weren’t informed of the other two being here! Isn’t this one supposed to have mind manipulating abilities? Shit!

Oh no, he’s reading my thoughts, he’s taking over! Don’t–


Sasuke snarled as he forced the command onto their minds, closing his eyes to concentrate. The anger made it easier, but it still was a struggle to firmly implant the words.

Leave town. You don’t remember seeing Sakura, Hinata, Naruto, or me. You don’t remember what we look like, our faces are blank. You came to Konoha, searched for the four who escaped all those years ago, but you found nothing. They are not in Konoha.

Sasuke jerked back, and saw that he had succeeded, the doctors’ faces being blank and expressionless, their eyes hooded and dull. Sasuke quickly knocked them out with a punch to the head, and they both crumpled to the ground.

Sasuke moved slowly toward Sakura, who was shaking so violently that she was unsteady on her feet. He reached out, and she screamed as his fingers touched her arm, pushing him away.

“I cant, I cant!!!” Sakura screamed, sobbing as she ran away from him. She ran into the halls, the mercifully empty halls, her cries echoing hauntingly as she ran.

“Sakura, wait!”

“No-no-no-no-no, I cant, I cant, I cant, I cant!” She yelled, and he saw that her breathing was unusually fast, and her hair was slowly shifting, her face shifting, everything shifting. She was having a panic attack, and it was triggering her ability.

“Sakura, calm down.” He grabbed her arm, and she screamed again, so piercingly that he flinched.

“I ca–”

Her emerald eyes locked on his, and suddenly she was shifting, morphing, her screams slowly dying as she stared at her hands in shock. They were changing, shortening.

It all happened so quickly, all Sasuke heard and saw were a flash of red hair and the rustle of clothing before Sakura disappeared. There was silence, and the girl’s clothes slowly fell to the ground. Sasuke blinked, and searched for her with fearful eyes.

Something caught his eye, and he knelt to the ground, slowly reaching out.

There was a small bulge in the fabric of Sakura’s shirt, and it was shaking violently. Squeaks were coming frantically from inside the fabric, and the bulge struggled to free itself.

Sasuke chuckled in relief, and slowly peeled away the fabric.

A small, reddish brown mouse was crouched in the blue fabric, it’s beady green eyes flickering around, a squeak of shock coming from it when it saw Sasuke. It remained perfectly still, and Sasuke held out his hand.

“Hello Sakura.”

It squeaked in horror, and he chuckled again. “It’s alright, you wont be like that forever, just for the next hour or so until you calm down. C’mon, I’ll take you to where Hinata and Naruto are, and I’ll explain everything.”

The terrified mouse sniffed the air, and its eyes stared at Sasuke for a moment, and then it slowly, carefully crawled up onto Sasuke’s palm. Sasuke pet its head gently, and it scampered into his jacket pocket, still quivering in fear.

Sasuke didn’t blame her.

Here was a girl, who had lived almost her entire life believing she was normal, and then suddenly, she turned into a mouse. It wasn’t exactly something that happened every day.

Sasuke carefully collected her clothes, and made his way toward the entrance of the school, and the mouse poked its head out to look at him briefly, before nuzzling up inside the heat of the pocket.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=9553