TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Bonds of Blood by animeroxsmyworld

[Reviews - 35]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

Authoress Note: Ok so when Naruto fights Yoroi, the reason why his clones disappear so quickly when Yoroi drains their chakra is because they're clones and so they don't have the same amount of chakra as the originals. That makes it easier for Yoroi to drain them.

Just thought I would clarify.

And as for Naruto's weird reaction to blood, it's because the Kyuubi is really starting to influence him and mess up his behaviour. I picture demons having a weird fascination with blood and carnage. And Naruto, being a kind human…doesn't.
Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 32: Phase Two (2)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haku's eyes narrowed as he jumped away from Sasuke, distancing himself from the Sharingan user as Sasuke's kunai slashed across the front of his robe, tearing the material. He had been right in his assumption earlier. Age really had nothing to do with skill.

He was a worthy opponent.

He was matching him blow for blow and that was quite a feat. Haku was known for his speed, but Sasuke was keeping steady pace with him. Haku didn't know whether to be impressed or agitated.

"But…" he thought as he glanced at the scenery surrounding them, the thick trees, green grass, moist air, and moss covered rocks. "I have the advantage even now."

There was moisture all around them. Even in the air. And as long as there was moisture, he could perform his bloodline.

Sasuke didn't give him much time to just stand around and look at the pretty trees. He charged and Haku was quick to greet him. But a stalemate happened as they met, their kunais grinding against each other once more. Haku's wrist suddenly shot out but Sasuke's was quicker, gripping Haku's wrist with a vice like grip. Sasuke's free hand grasped Haku's descending hand where it had been heading towards his weapons pouch, reaching for his senbons.

But now there truly was a stalemate.

"You fight well." Haku complimented, the corners of his mouth turning up in a smile. In different circumstances, it actually might of been taken as a friendly gesture, and maybe even a genuine compliment. But as things were, the action only made Sasuke glare, his Sharingans blazing.

"Apparently not well enough. You're still standing." He quipped back venom coating the growl that rumbled from his throat.

He hated admitting that people were stronger than he was.

It was a big blow to his pride as an Uchiha and it made his blood boil in a way he couldn't even begin to describe.

But Haku only continued to smile. "Don't feel too bad, I have to advantage here."

"What do you mean?" Sasuke asked, slightly breathless, watching every move the boy in front of him was making. Or was it a girl? It didn't really matter right now.

Haku said nothing and Sasuke was about to bark something vulgar and obscene towards him as the seconds ticked by and it seemed that he really wasn't going to answer him when something in the air changed.

His muscles tensed as a brittle coldness swept through him, the air around him decreasing in temperature. It numbed his fingers and made him shift his feet, almost as if all the heat had been sucked out of his toes. It almost overrode the fact that Haku was making seals in front of him.

Water seemed to appear out of nowhere, materializing from the moisture in the air, the droplets suspending the air like some still life picture of rain that someone might imagine. It caught Sasuke off guard and almost made him loosen his grip on the other brunette.

Almost.

"Hijutsu Makyou Hyoushou (Secret Skill Demonic Ice Mirrors)." Were the words that Haku said, bringing Sasuke's attention back to high alert.

The water droplets melded together in mid-air, shifting and moving to form a dome around the two before solidifying into sheet upon sheet of ice mirrors, the motions of the water so fast that for a moment all Sasuke could hear was the crashing sound of waves.

But as they solidified into ice, the noise disappeared and Sasuke soon saw his reflection staring back at him from multiple angles, Haku blocking his view in a few. He was quickly brought back around as he saw his surprised face reflected in the ice and her tried to compose himself.

He was in the face of the enemy after all.

Thanks to his Sharingan he could see the chakra pooling in the ice, but because the ice surrounded him, everything just looked like a big mass of blue on all sides. "All you did was manage to trap both me and yourself in this thing. You simply limited our fighting space." Sasuke pointed out as he tightened his grip on Haku's hand, satisfied when he saw pain flash behind the other boy's eyes. Any harder and he would probably snap the wrist.

But then pain shot through him, flashing from his stomach and staggering him. He gasped breathlessly, shaping himself around the foot that Haku had planted in his stomach, and slackening his grip, allowing the other boy to pull free and step away as Sasuke wheezed for air, holding his stomach.

"No. I only trapped you." Haku stated plainly, the pure confidence in his words ringing in the air. Haku walked to the closest ice mirror to him, turning so his back was pressed to it, before melding into the very being of the mirror, his body slipping into the ice.

All around him, Sasuke's reflection was suddenly replaced with images of Haku, trapped behind the surface of the ice.

"The hell?"

"Now let's see if you can still keep up."

Sasuke couldn't even begin to open his mouth when senbons shot from every mirror, from every angle, at incredible speed. His Sharingan whirled with the effort to try and keep up with all of them as he swore. There was no way he could avoid them!

He would just have to minimize the dama-

He gave a half shout of pain as the needles pierced him, shifting himself so nothing vital was hit. But that didn't stop him looking like a porcupine, blood spotting the base of each of the senbons that landed on his person.

"Fuck." Sasuke hissed as he staggered backwards slightly, regaining his footing a millisecond later.

Haku looked contemplative, head tilting ever so slightly to the side. "You managed to change their course. They could've easily hit a number of vital organs in your system."

Sasuke didn't give him a chance to prattle on anymore, to be semi-impressed with his skills. Screw this! He wasn't going to sit around and let this bastard just throw needles into him like some kind of demented pin cushion. Pushing chakra into his lungs, he inhaled sharply.

"Katon: Gokakyu no Jutsu!" Fire flew from his mouth, encasing the mirrors and making heat wash over him. The flames even licked the roof of the dome, the fire spreading in a full circle around the Uchiha as Sasuke pushed more chakra into the flames until the raven haired boy was standing in a tornado of orange and red, the person breathing life into the jutsu safe at the center of the storm.

He couldn't see anything. His eyes were closed from the heat that pricked at his eyes, sweat rolling down his face with both strain and the fact that he was encasing himself in fire.

It stuttered out as he coughed, breaking the jutsu, smoke rising from the cracks of the dome.

Drip.

Drip.

His ears perked and he frantically tried to peer through the haze that he himself had created. He tensed as he saw the mirrors, standing tall, where they had been before, but a flicker of something akin to hope lit inside of him as he noticed that all of them were dripping water, the liquid making small, tiny puddles underneath their floating bodies.

They barely even passed as puddles but they were enough for Sasuke.

"You'll need something a lot stronger than that if you wish to break these mirrors." Haku replied shortly, his reflection still painted on the slabs of ice. He looked unchanged from before, but a look of irritation was making it's presence known on his features.

Shinobi could pick out even the slightest things.

Sasuke said nothing as he let his eyes scan the limited area given to him. True, the mirrors hadn't disappeared completely and the amount of them that had actually melted were barely worth mentioning, but they had melted. But he would have to do fire jutsu after fire jutsu to destroy them and he didn't believe that he had that much chakra inside him at the moment to do that.

He would have to do something else.

"Fine. I see how it is." Sasuke murmured.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naruto cast a quick glance at the ice dome that encased Sasuke and the boy he was fighting, smoke flowing from the cracks and oozing out into the forest like a signal. Hopefully no other teams would decide to follow the trail of smoke and decide to participate in the fight against them as well. He turned back to Yoroi as the taller man slashed through another of his clones, the audible poof drawing Naruto's attention.

Sasuke could take care of himself. At least for now anyways.

Once Naruto finished with this guy he would go check up on him.

Yoroi could feel irritation trickle inside of him as he landed the bottom of his foot to the face of one of his attackers, the blond disappearing into smoke before Yoroi ducked and caught a lunging blond around the throat with his hand.

The child gagged, eyes widening and scrabbling against Yoroi's tight grip on his windpipe as Yoroi's hand glowed blue, the chakra seeping from his trapped opponent before he too disappeared into smoke.

He couldn't help it.

He growled.

"I'm getting annoyed with this guessing game of yours." He commented as he flipped backwards, distancing himself from the group he had significantly dwindled. He had already dispatched of the original three clones the brat had made, but he kept making more.

This was his fourth batch of clones in the course of five minutes and Yoroi was annoyed. If he had managed to land a blow to the original brat, he didn't know. There was smoke every which way, he could hardly keep up with who disappeared and who didn't.

"Which one of you is the real one?" He demanded to the last three remaining blonde's in front of him.

"Why the hell should we tell you?" One of them demanded haughtily. That just added to his annoyance so Yoroi decided that he would kill that one first. Turning deftly on his foot, he raced towards that Naruto who started for a second before regaining himself.

He spread his feet, planting them firmly as his lips pressed into a thin line, his blue eyes locked onto Yoroi's oncoming form before his eyes slipped over Yorio's shoulder, to the other two Naruto's who were also making their ways towards them.

Yoroi saw a light brighten up his eyes as his blue orbs turned back to him as Yoroi finally neared enough to close the distance. It was almost like he had been given some kind of telepathic message. He barely had time to think about this as the Naruto in front of him sprang into action, the muscles in his legs unfurling as he hurled himself unexpectedly at Yorio.

The taller man started as Naruto's form wound around his leg, dragging the appendage crashing to the ground with the boy's weight. But the realization that his standing position was now compromised didn't fully register in his head until the same weight suddenly landed and wound itself on his kunai weilding arm, anchoring the appendage to the ground.

"What the hell?" Yoroi managed to say before pain accompanied by weight fell onto his back.

Naruto, the original, landed heavily on Yoroi's back, his hand holding onto the man's shoulder for support as his other lifted his kunai high, the blade slicing through the air at such speeds that it looked like a blur as Naruto plunged it viciously into Yoroi's back, between the shoulder blades.

The kunai sunk into the top of Yoroi's back with such force that the weapon was almost lost as it disappeared into his flesh, the handle still tightly grasped in Naruto's fist, his knuckles white with the force he was holding it.

Yoroi cried out in agony as his body jerked in slight convulsion before his arms suddenly tried to reach up and sweep in clumsy motions to rid him from his back. But only one arm moved while his other hand stayed anchored due to Naruto's clone.

Unfortunately, Yoroi took Naruto by surprise as his trapped arm suddenly blew up with bright blue light, encasing Naruto's clone as well. His flew open in surprise as the clones chakra was wrenched from his body, his body tensing before going limp and disappearing into a cloud of smoke.

"You little-!" Yoroi cried as his hands suddenly reached back for the Naruto on his back, his one arm still glowing a brilliant blue. Naruto ducked and bobbed consistently underneath the clumsy swings, his grip tightening on the kunai like a life line as Yoroi jerked about to try and throw Naruto off of him.

But the man was quick to change strategies and quickly found a hold on his assailant, his hands gripping both of Naruto wrists.

"Shit!" Naruto cursed.

"You bastard." Yoroi hissed as he flung Naruto off his back, crying out as Naruto jerked the kunai out with him, blood spilling down the Oto nin's back as the wound was torn even larger. He kept his grip on Naruto tight as he smashed the kid to the ground, through his other clone. Smoke filled the air as Naruto hit the ground, his clone dispersing, the air driving out of Naruto as pain shot through his body, his mouth opening in a gasp of pain.

Yoroi sneered against the pain scorching across his back as he felt the brat's chakra begin to drain, Yoroi's hand still gripping his wrist tightly. He had to be the original brat since he wasn't disappearing into an annoying cloud of smoke like all the others…and he was the only one left.

Naruto felt a tugging feeling at his naval, his eyes losing focus as exhaustion began to grow inside of him, flowing through his body. What was going on? He hadn't taken that much damage. He shouldn't be feeling tired yet, he had amazing stamina.

Even he knew that.

But his mind began to grow muggy.

Yet through all the mugginess, something lit a fire inside of him, a smell that made the Kyuubi straighten and roll his eyes in pleasure, shoulders quaking.

"Blood."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shurinkens flew from Sasuke's hands, the Uchiha pivoting quickly on his foot to let the weapons fly in all directions. They were like blurs, Haku narrowing his eyes as he saw them near the mirror he resided in.

Although fire may not be able to melt the ice, weapons going at the speed and force these ones were, would definitely penetrate the ice and could easily get him. Inwardly cursing, he summoned chakra to his legs and pushed forward, out of the ice, sweeping his arms as he did so.

Senbons filtered through the air along with the shurinkens, Sasuke blindsided momentarily with the added projectiles, turning and shielding his face to prevent getting stabbed in the eye as Haku touched down onto the ground like a blur, only to shoot up into a different ice slab.

Sasuke whirled around all too late, ignoring the stinging pain in his cheek from a wayward senbon, as the crunching sound of Haku's foot leaving the dirt and grass reached his ears. He growled darkly before he saw the scuff mark in the dirt, a mark left by Haku's shoe, and his brain suddenly shot up into overdrive.

If he could keep driving Haku out of the mirror, even if he couldn't actually see him, the ground here would leave signs as to where he went. If he could just aim everything right and manage to not get impaled by senbons, he might actually be able to catch him.

"Now, this suggests that he's to my-"

Like lightning, Sasuke shot his hand into his weapons pouch and turned, shooting the kunai in the mirror to his left. Before it connected, senbons rained down on him, Sasuke trying to avoid them as best as he could while keeping his eyes open to watch the blur that shot out of the mirror.

The small light of hope that had budded inside of him from his flames now grew at his new discovery. Without giving Haku any time to settle into the mirror, Sasuke hurled three kunais at it, this time charging forward and letting the senbons sink into his shoulders and chest with a grunt of pain as he shouldered the pain and barrelled forward.

Haku only had time to widen his eyes, body already a couple steps out of the mirror as Sasuke continued towards him, hand going to his pouch and retrieving a kunai that glinted from the refracted light of the mirrors.

He wasn't being misled.

He was coming straight at him!

Haku only had time to raise his left hand up in defence as Sasuke crashed into him, Haku holding back a cry of pain as Sasuke's kunai pierced through his hand, blood pulsing around the wound and trailing, wet and hot, down his hand and onto his sleeve. They hit the ground, Sasuke's knee driving into his gut while Haku's free hand launched up and gripped Sasuke's neck, fingers biting deep into the tender flesh there.

With a viciousness that Haku didn't suspect him to have, Sasuke jerked his kunai out of Haku's hand, only to drive it like a nail just below the older boy's collarbone, a gurgling noise emitting from both boy's as Haku tightened his grip on Sasuke's throat out of reflex, efficiently limiting the Uchiha's air supply.

Blood blossomed from beneath the weapon, wetting Haku's robes and making his heartbeat thump loudly in his head. It actually didn't take a lot to kill someone, and Sasuke's kunai didn't have to move very far to plunge into his heart.

Haku had always considered himself ready to die. As a shinobi and as a weapon for Zabuza, it was just something that he had accepted long ago. A fact really, like how the sky was blue. It was blue, and he was going to die.

He was going to die.

But now, with a kunai burrowed in his chest and his hands cutting off the oxygen to his attacker…he didn't want to. That's why he was a little grateful, for the first time in his life, though terrified, confused, and surprised beyond belief when he saw a pair of familiar, slitted yellow eyes slinking up behind him and Sasuke.

He would know those terrifying eyes anywhere, even if the face wearing them weas different.

"You did good Haku."

Haku felt shivers crawl all over him at Orochimaru's voice while Sasuke stiffened at the voice of another attacker. He hadn't even sensed him at all! That either meant that Sasuke was really, really distracted or the person behind him was just really powerful.

Either way, it wasn't good.

Sasuke didn't notice Haku's grip loosening as Sasuke turned his head to look at the man approaching them. In another situation, that would've been a dire mistake that would've cost him his life. He opened his mouth, but no words escaped him.

It turned out it didn't matter.

The moment his mouth opened, Orochimaru's head shot forward, neck elongating, and mouth clamping on Sasuke's own neck, fangs piercing the flesh there. Haku jerked his hand back just in time to relinquish his hold on the younger boy.

Both boy's started at the abrupt movement before Sasuke began to convulse, his grip on his kunai disappearing as his hands came up to try and pry the snake Sannin's face away from his neck, trying to rid himself of the white pain that was lancing through his neck.

Orochimaru pulled back, watching with satisfaction as black ink rose to the surface of Sasuke's pale skin, forming itself into a design that Orochimaru recognized as his cursed seal.

Sasuke fell to the side, withering in pain, convulsing and shouting as he clutched at his neck, sweat building on his brow.

Haku could only stare.

What had happened?

What had Orochimaru done?

What kind of monster was he?

Orochimaru straightened, watching the Uchiha for a second with a look of deranged delight on his face before his eyes found Haku, blood pooling around the fallen boy in a mess of dark crimson.

Haku could see the dismissal there. He had done his part. He had fought Sasuke.

So now…he was done.

The sound of ice shattering into hundreds of pieces resounded through the air, startling all animals in the vicinity.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yoroi's brow furrowed as he looked at the child on the ground before him, his foot on his chest to pin him down for extra measure. He had been sucking his chakra for five minutes and the kid still wasn't sucked dry. It was like he had an ocean for chakra reserves instead of just wells.

Usually people would've been passed out, or even dead by now.

The kid just looked disorientated, like he was suffering from a mild concussion or something. His eyes were unfocused and his jaw was slack, but his chakra was still getting absorbed.

WHY?

It didn't make sense.

It was almost tiring him to drain Naruto.

Then something changed. The chakra he was absorbing turned warm. Too warm. It was burning.

Chakra was never burning.

Yoroi gave a muffled shout as his arm lit up with red light, pain encasing his arm and making him jerk his appendage back, the Oto nin stepping away from the jinchuuriki. Welts and burns were forming rapidly across his arm as it continued to burn a bright red from the chakra he had absorbed, his arm pulsating as more burns and welts appeared.

"You! What did you do?" He accused in pain as he cradled his arm to himself, groaning in pain as his own touch sent white hot agony down to his fingers, up to his shoulder.

Naruto blinked slowly as if waking from a dream, his surroundings coming back to him. His vision, which had been blurring, was becoming clear and the exhaustion was leaving his body. With a twitch, he was flipping onto his feet and facing Yoroi once more.

He opened his mouth to shout something, most likely crude and obnoxious and so very Naruto-like, and froze.

The burns on Yoroi's arms were beginning to weep blood, dark droplets dripping to the ground.

Naruto didn't understand his own fascination with it. He had seen blood plenty of times before.

The smell hit his nose and his eyes hooded as he inhaled, his body straightening up as he did so.

It smelt so…so…

Refreshing.

In Kyuubi's cage, the cracks on the bars skittered across the bar before a piece the size of Naruto's head broke away and splashed into the water, leaving a hole that was miniscule to the demon behind, and quite sizeable to humans. Like someone snapped their fingers, red chakra poured against the cracking bar, barrelling through the hole and seeping through the cracks at such speeds that Naruto felt like a tidal wave of fire crashed over him.

Everything was red, unbearable heat and pain pounding against his skull. It was too much. It felt like he was going to explode, his veins trying to set him off like a stick of dynamite.

Somewhere in the distance, Naruto heard something akin to shattering glass.

Then everything went black, images lost to a dark haze.

He remembered nothing as he rushed forward, his claws digging into Yoroi's side, his fingers sinking up to the knuckles as they disappeared into the older man's flesh.

And then he twisted.

He twisted with monstrous strength that humans couldn't hope to possess.

His hands snapped around in a corkscrew motion and he wrenched back with a savage manor. Yoroi's torso disconnected from his body with a shrill, hair-raising crack as he ripped in half, crimson blood as fresh and dark as ink spraying out like a waterfall and coating the small blond in front of him. His spine snapped with an audible crack, the bone making Yoroi looking like some grotesque toy on a stick as his organs dropped to the ground in a bloody pool.

There was silence, the only sound Naruto's breathing as he held Yoroi's torso out in front of him before the lower half of the once proud Oto nin fell over, spilling the rest of his organs across the forest floor with a wet slap.

Naruto straightened, the way he held himself like that of a bloodthirsty warrior who had just succeeded in killing their prey, before he flung Yoroi's torso forward so it landed not but two feet from his lower half.

His prey was dead. He got his kill.

His heart was thumping wildly between his ears as the haze begin to dissolve, Naruto's consciousness coming back to him. He blinked, groggy and disorientated and feeling drenched, his clothes plastering to his body.

"What the-?" He started as he ran a hand over his face before his breath hitched as he took in the blood coating him, his fingers streaking his face with the bloody liquid. The palms of his hands were wet with the stuff.

Blood was everywhere.

On him. On the ground. The smell of it was polluting the air.

What Naruto found highly, repulsively, disturbing was his desire to press his blood coated hands to his face and just inhale, taking it all in. To revel in the carnage he had caused.

The urge made him want to vomit.

"Hmm. You seemed to take care of him fairly well."

Naruto spun on his heels in a blur of color, eyes jumping to find the person who startled him. He paused, momentarily confused as a recognized face looked back at him, black eyes behind big round glasses greeting him.

"Kabuto?" He questioned. Had he always been there? Was this his team?

Kabuto's eyes trailed from Yoroi's mangled body to the blood soaked blond in front of him, his eyebrows already raised in surprise as he took in the mess. This kid…this boy who wasn't even a teenager yet…had killed Yoroi? It seemed impossible, but then again the evidence was right in front of him.

Should Kabuto have been worried about this boy in front of him? Should he have researched him? He hadn't bothered to really go into much depth with any of the participants besides Sasuke.

But maybe he should've.

Naruto felt his eyes drift away from Kabuto and his whole body stiffened as his gaze traveled past the silver haired ninja and landed on an eerily still female teammate.

"Did you do that?"

Kabuto blinked at Naruto question before following the shorter male's gaze. Sakura's fallen form was lying still against the grass, her pink hair tangling in with the blades of grass where her locks splayed out beneath her head. She didn't look so much like she had been knocked out like she did that she had been tossed aside, broken.

Her left arm was twisted in an unsightly way, definitely broken and swelling up. Blood was falling down her unconscious face from a gash on her forehead, weeping across the swollen bruised cheek. Kabuto's eyes glazed over the other scratches and bruises that covered her arms and legs.

Those were minor.

He only needed to keep her from interfering with Sasuke's fight with Haku. She was lucky that he didn't have to kill her. She would've been dead in a heartbeat.

She really wasn't much of a challenge.

"I had to keep her occupied." Kabuto replied simply, shrugging his shoulders. Naruto growled, temper flaring to life. He made to charge when a pain pricked in his back and his legs suddenly turned to jelly beneath him, making him crumple to the ground, leaves flying up from his impact.

Unnerved, Kabuto looked over as Haku walked over, Orochimaru not far behind.

"That really wasn't necessary." He told the other boy, ignoring the loud profanities that were ringing through the air as they emitted from Naruto's mouth, all obscene and very, very crude.

Orochimaru decided to speak, catching Kabuto's attention right away. "That's enough fighting for now." He said, though amusement was clear on his borrowed face as he looked at Naruto, the Namikaze trying to push himself up with his hands. "We have to leave Sasuke to deal with the cursed mark."

As those words reached Naruto's ears, he suddenly became conscious of another noise that was resonating through the area. A noise that he had been oblivious to until now.

Screaming.

Sasuke was screaming.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Would you stop moving around you damn acrobat!"

Kyoko said nothing as she flipped over and behind him, landing on her hands and quickly jumping upright and to the side as he spun around and slashed at her, Kyoko ducking and rolling to the side to avoid the kunai.

He hadn't managed to land a single hit on her yet.

She really would have to thank Hari for forcing her to learn gymnastics.

"Hari…"

She paused for only a second, but it was all her opponent needed as a kick suddenly swept around and caught her in the ribs in her crouched position, the female sent careening through the dirt.

She pushed herself up onto her hands and knees and spat out a mouthful of dirt, though the taste lingered in her mouth. Though she had spent a lot of quality time in this particular training ground before, she had never become this friendly with it before.

"Eww, gross." She thought in disgust as she wiped at her mouth. "Would you hurry up and find Itsuya already!" She shouted out into the trees where a certain copper haired teammate had ventured off to find their missing team member.

Rain ninja over there thought that he would transform into Itsuya to take the scroll from them but he hadn't witnessed them enough to get down Itsuya's behaviour. It was creepy when Itsuya was actually being nice and smile.

They knew something was up. Unfortunately for their little opponent, he came alone, making it quite easy to occupy him while they also searched for Itsuya.

"I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying." Roku's voice reassured from somewhere in the trees, his voice accompanied by the sound of rustling branches. A couple seconds later, with Kyoko already trading blows with the rain nin again, Roku called out again in triumph.

"Found him!"

Roku reached a hand down to grab at the katana that he kept at his hip while his eyes shone with mirth at the position he found the smaller boy in. He tried hard to keep from laughing, but chuckles escaped him and Itsuya shot glares that could've killed a man on the spot at him.

"Hey Kyoko, maybe it's better if we just leave him tied up like this!" Roku called back as he stepped forward and slowly slid his blade between Itsuya and the rope bounds, contradicting his words though laughter was coating his words.

If they left him like this, they wouldn't have to deal with all his lengthy, rude comments.

"Just get him!" Kyoko snapped, probably getting angry with the fact that she had to be the one who the attacker decided to go after.

With a quick motion of his hand, the ropes cut loose against his blade and Itsuya was soon pulling the gag from his mouth. His glare was like ice as he shouldered past Roku.

"You bastard."

As the two males emerged back onto the scene of the fight, the rain nin saw his chances for survival dwindling. His teammates always said he was rash and never thought things through. He began to mutter escape plans underneath his breath as he flung his kunai at the female before him.

"Well," Roku thought mildly as he watched her flip backwards and land in a crouch, the kunai hitting the ground before her. "at least she hasn't started pulling out explosion tags yet."

He wasn't sure when he started to notice it, but the female on team 1 seemed to lean heavily towards using explosive tags when the time called for it. Actually, thinking back to their first experience in the forest of death, that was actually how they caught most of their food.

The stuff that wasn't berries and plants.

The rain nin's hand suddenly flashed up before striking towards the ground, a smoke bomb shooting from his hand and exploding against the ground. Smoke plumed like a giant cloud, obstructing team 1's view and making Kyoko cough as she backed away.

"Smoke bomb? Damn, you're letting him escape!" Itsuya scolded as he vainly tried to look through the smoke that was encasing them.

"It's not my fault!" Kyoko defended sharply. But as the smoke cleared, mixing into the air, the enemy ninja was gone. "Coward…" Kyoko muttered with a huff, glaring pointedly at where the rain nin had stood moments before.

"Something tells me that guy wasn't the brightest." Roku remarked before his eyes slid down to Itsuya's head. "Do you still have the scroll?"

Momentarily distracted, Itsuya nodded as he riffled through the various pockets that littered his jacket. "Yeah. The moron didn't even think to check me before he grabbed me and tied me up. Honestly, what type of ninja is he? Ambushing us with only one person and not even checking us properly for the scroll? He's going to die in here." Itsuya replied as he let his fingers poke the heaven scroll.

"Well let's keep going before he decides to come back with his friends." Kyoko said as she ran a hand through her hair, still staring after her opponent. She hadn't had an actual fight in weeks…since her graduation from the Academy.

It was a little thrilling.

She missed it.

After some nods of consent, they disappeared into the well remembered, yet jarring, forest, oblivious to the bloody horrors that were taking place beneath it's leafy canopy.