TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Bonds of Blood by animeroxsmyworld

[Reviews - 35]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Authoress Note: Wow, halfway through writing this chapter I stopped and read it over and realized it was a little sappy. Well at least it seemed that way to me. But it had to be done…I mean I like some sap, but too much is just…too much. Hopefully I didn’t overdue anything.

Happy early Valentines Day to all you people.
~*~

Bonds of Blood

By: Animeroxsmyworld

Chapter 23: Tears, Candy, and Fan Girls

~*~

Kyoko just starred at the door in front of her, biting her bottom lip as her gaze fixated on the door handle. It had been two days since she had arrived at the hospital and she had been treated upon arrival. The nurses had kept her there to monitor her until they were sure that she had no side effect from the explosion beside her sprained ankle. That aside, her cuts were treated and wrapped and after some rest, she was feeling better.

“Kyoko? Are you going in?”

Kyoko jerked back at the voice and turned to see Sakura standing in the hall, a vase with a single flower in her hands.

“Ah…well…maybe.” Kyoko admitted softly as she tucked her hair behind her ear, having lost her hair elastics when the doctors were checking her over and made her take them out.

“How are you doing? They let you out already?” Kyoko asked, her gaze saddening as she saw the brightly coloured bruise blossoming across the side of Sakura’s face. The pinkette gave a small smile, a missing tooth visible as she did so.

It wouldn’t grow back, so she’d be stuck with the reminder of the battle for the rest of her life.

“I just had a mild concussion is all. They let me out yesterday.” She admitted softly before her gaze fell to the ground. “Sasuke-kun, Naruto, and Kakashi-sensei were the ones who did most of the fighting.”

It was true. She had just stood there while they did the work.

‘I’m pathetic.’ Sakura thought bitterly.

Right after being released, Sakura went to see Sasuke and saw him almost unconscious against his bed, his skin, although pale, sticking out strikingly against the white sheets. The medics assured her that it was only because they were extracting the poison from him. He would be fine.

But still, the fact that he had been so badly poisoned…showed how involved he was in the fight. While she had walked away with just a mild concussion and a missing tooth. What did that say about her?

Silence enveloped the two girls for a moment before Kyoko bowed, her hair falling over her shoulders as she did so.

“Thank you. You all came to help me. I owe you all a lot.”

Sakura looked embarrassed as she began waving her hand in front of her face. “No no, it’s ok. You’re our friend. We had to help” She reassured, Kyoko straightening up as Sakura continued in for a few more seconds.

“It still means a lot to me.” Kyoko replied, Sakura nodding before letting her gaze trail to the side. She really hadn’t done too much. Her gaze landed on the numbers on the door and she blinked in recognition.

“Hey…isn’t this Naruto’s room?” She asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Um, yeah it is.” Kyoko nodded. Sakura looked at the door before looking down as if just seeming to realize that she had something in her hand for the first time.

“Why don’t you go in. I’ll come check in with you and the idiot in a bit. I’m going to go see Sasuke-kun first.” Sakura offered as she held up the single flower, obviously indicating that it was meant for the raven haired male. The thought of giving Sasuke a flower made the corner of Kyoko’s lip quirk up in a snicker, but she managed to keep it from forming any further.

“Have fun with that.” Kyoko smiled as Sakura began walking down the hall. She was half tempted to go with her to see Sasuke’s face when Sakura offered the plant to him but she decided against it.

Her smile disappeared as she turned to the door once more. She hesitated as she reached her arm towards the handle, finger twitching, before she grabbed it and pulled it open.

She half expected her twin to be out of bed and be complaining about boredom or doing something energy efficient…something that suited his personality like she remembered it from the Academy.

She hadn’t expected him to be sleeping.

She looked around the room before stepping inside and closing the door behind her. It clicked shut softly, but Naruto didn’t even stir. She neared the bed, guilt pulling at her heart like wire as she saw the bulky cast that enveloped his right arm, a bandage wrapped across his forehead in place of his forehead protector. She was sure that if she looked under the white shirt provided by the hospital, she would also see bandages wrapped around his middle as well.

The doctors called him their miracle patient.

He had apparently been admitted in with four broken ribs on his right side and his whole arm dislocated and broken. He had a cut across his forehead and he hit his head hard, but yet amazingly didn’t have any form of concussion.

They were all in awe because in just one night, two of his ribs went from broken to cracked. Bones didn’t heal that fast! And his arm, which would normally take weeks to heal, was healing itself in sections. His shoulder, which had been shattered from impact, they guessed, was already functional.

But seeing him made the wire of guilt pull even tighter. It was her fault that he was like this. He could’ve died…should’ve died…coming after her. The doctors were all surprised he was still alive after taking the full force of the exploding tag.

And it was all because of her.

She sat on the stool beside his bed and rest her hands on top of the sheets on his bed.

“I…I know you probably can’t hear me right now.” She began quietly as her hands fidgeted with the cloth of the blanket. “But I wanted to say thank you.”

Her head was bowed forward, hair covering her face as her shoulders hunched up by her ears.

Her Academy self would have never uttered those words and Kyoko felt a great sadness she couldn’t even describe well up inside of her as she realized this. Her younger self, not by much mind you, wouldn’t have even been sitting in this very room.

With her brother…the person who just saved her. Who shared her blood.

‘How cruel.’

“Just, thank you for coming after me.” She continued, her voice wavering as the sadness built inside of her and stung at her eyes. “I’m sorry you had to do that. You almost died coming after me.”

‘I don’t deserve it.’ She thought in shame as her hands fisted the material of the blanket into a tight ball. She bent her head as her shoulders hunched up by her ears.

“I should’ve been more alert or…or…I don’t know. It’s my fault you’re hurt. I’m sorry.” She tried, her voice trailing into a whisper. She sniffled as a tear fell down her cheek and fell onto the blanket.

“I understand if you don’t forgive me.” She said quickly as she released the blanket with one hand and wiped at her eyes hurriedly as more tears began to form, still talking. “I was horrible to you. I ran away from you constantly and hit you…and that time when I attacked you at your house. I didn’t even see you as my brother. Or even human at the time.” She confessed, taking her hand away from her face, only for fresh tears to trail down her cheeks.

Why weren’t they stopping? Why couldn’t she stop talking? It was like the words were spilling out of her mouth as soon as she began speaking them. Like as soon as she began, she couldn’t stop.

“It was just too cruel. I won‘t forgive myself for thinking like that again. I’m just so sorry.” She apologized as she leaned forward and buried her face into the edge of the blankets. “I’m sorry, so sorry. I’m sorry.”

‘Please believe me. I’m sorry.’

The words repeated themselves in a whispered mantra as Kyoko stayed folded over the edge of his bed. She didn’t care if he heard her or not. Her grip on the blankets loosened and she just lay with her face pressed against the bed, tears still moistening the fabric as she sniffled.

“So does this mean we’re friends again?”

Kyoko pushed herself off against the bed so quickly she rocketed off the stool and landed on her back with a ‘thud’, arms sprawled out against the ground.

Naruto peered at her from the side of the bed, blue eyes locked onto her fallen form and eyebrows raised, disappearing into his bangs. She blinked twice slowly before Kyoko scrambled back up onto her stool, opening and closing her mouth, speechless.

Naruto’s eyes softened as he saw the remaining tears that had been clinging to her face finish streaking down her cheek and drip off her chin now that she was upright. He hadn’t actually expected her to be crying.

Her mouth finally shut and she straightened up, eyes starring at her lap. “I didn’t know you were awake.” She muttered, her cheeks colouring lightly.

“I wasn’t.”

“Wha--?” Her face snapped up so quickly that Naruto couldn’t help the grin that spread across his face.

“Ok I lied, I was. Well not the whole time. I think I came to once you started crying. I heard sniffling.”

“Oh.”

“Well I came to say thank you.” She continued quietly before self consciously wiping at her face with her sleeve once more, her gaze fixed on her brother as she did so this time. “You know, for saving me.”

“Well I couldn’t just let them cart you off to wherever the hell they were going to take you.” Naruto argued firmly, his brow furrowing as he sat up in his bed, grunting as his body ached in protest, the still broken ribs in his side crying out in pain as he did so.

“Besides, you’re my friend…well not to mention my imouto.”

Kyoko’s finger twitched on her lap.

Naruto’s head perked up as a bitter smile appeared on her face. “Why…why are you still nice to me?” She asked, her eyes shining with genuine curiosity.

She was met with silence, Naruto only showing a sign of life by switching his gaze to look out the window beside his bed. She decided to keep talking. She needed to know.

“I mean I tried to completely avoid you throughout the Academy years and I attacked you at your apartment.” She confessed. “If I were in your shoes, I wouldn‘t be nice to me. I just don‘t understand. If yo--”

“You and Sasuke,” He interrupted abruptly. “You two were my first friends. Ever. I was completely alone and no one would ever think about playing with me. I hated how empty and hallow everything was. When I was really little, I used to cry over that fact. But then one day you two decided to play with me for no real reason.” Here he smirked as he continued to gaze out the window, face turned from Kyoko.

“We became best friends even and I was actually happy and having fun for the first time I could remember. I wanted to always be happy like that so inside I vowed to always be friends with you two.”

Kyoko bit her bottom lip as the wire of guilt pulled at her again.

“But then I stopped hanging out with you. That was when Hari-san told me about the Kyuubi.” She admitted, ashamed as her gaze falling to her lap.

“You took it better then the villagers.” Was the simple answer he provided. Kyoko doubted him but said nothing.

Silence fell upon them and it was a few minutes before either one moved. A sigh from the male broke the air.

“But now I can rub it in the teme’s face.” Naruto bragged as he turned to face her again, fox like grin on his features.

“Huh?”

“After you told me you didn’t want to be friends anymore, I told him that I would be friends with you again.” He declared before blinking and looking her over cautiously. “We are friends again right? Like besides being family…we’re friends?”

Kyoko just starred at him before her shoulders shook. Watery laughter erupted from her throat as Kyoko nodded her head.

‘Idiot.’ Her thoughts sighed warmly. She had been the one asking for forgiveness and yet he was the one who was wondering whether they were friends? He was starting to strike her as simply amazing.

Naruto smiled.

~*~

The two blond siblings were arguing over something when Sakura entered the room. Kyoko looked up where she was standing in the corner of the room, holding onto two folded pieces of orange cloth, Naruto looking up as well from his position on the bed.

His ribs didn’t allow him to get off it quite yet or else he would’ve grabbed his clothes himself. Then they wouldn’t have been arguing about the proper colour of clothes for ninja.

“Oh hey Sakura.” Kyoko greeted before noticing the pinkette’s mood. “Your mood darkened.” She noted bluntly.

“Your’s brightened.” Sakura replied just as bluntly as she sat down on the stool next to Naruto’s bed.

“Did things not go well with Sasuke?” Kyoko asked as she walked over, setting the rather tattered jumpsuit on the edge of the bed. Naruto struggled to reach it, but it was achingly out of his grasp.

“No.” Sakura grunted as she crossed her arms over her chest, looking moody. Kyoko didn’t even have to prompt her about what had happened. “Apparently news about Sasuke-kun being in the hospital spread so when I went to go see him, there was practically a line of girls outside of his room. They all had little presents for him and all screamed like harpies when I pushed past them to walk into the room. Hello! I’m his teammate!” She said as she began motioning with her hands enthusiastically.

“When I got inside the room, Sasuke was dead asleep and Kakashi was acting like some kind of lazy body guard. I didn’t even get to talk to Sasuke-kun and Kakashi-sensei made me place my flower on the bedside table along with all the other gifts those stupid girls gave him.” She growled. After a second she grumbled to herself. “You could hardly even see it.”

“I don’t think Sasuke would like all this attention.” Kyoko mumbled to herself as she listened to Sakura’s rant.

Sakura’s eyes suddenly narrowed in annoyance. “Oh for the love of…Naruto! Here!” She hissed as she grabbed the orange cloth and shoved it towards him, the male having made pathetic attempts to grab his clothes the whole time she was talking.

It was annoying the hell out of her!

His eyes lit up and he immediately snatched it away.

“Huh? What? NO!” Kyoko cried too late as Naruto clutched the jumpsuit to his chest. Sighing, Kyoko rubbed her forehead.

“Why, out of every color out there, do you dress yourself in bright orange?” Kyoko sighed.

“I like orange!” Naruto cried defensively. Kyoko rolled her eyes while Sakura wrinkled her nose at the garment. It wasn’t exactly the most fashionable thing out there.

Then without warning, he began struggling to get himself out of the white hospital shirt he was in.

“IDIOT! WAIT FOR US TO LEAVE BEFORE YOU DO THAT!” Sakura screeched, wanting to punch him, but relenting and only smacking him with a pillow instead. He was injured after all.

“Ow! Sakura-chan!” Naruto whined, rubbing his head as Sakura dragged Kyoko out of the room with her. Even when she hit him with a pillow, she still hit hard. Returning to the task that he had been about to do, he struggled out of his shirt before pulling on the black one that was folded in with the pieces of his jumpsuit. The shirt he always wore underneath.

As he put his jumpsuit on, he frowned at the missing sleeve and the various tears. He would have to find another orange jumpsuit.

And it had to be orange!

He didn’t just like orange because it was a cool color. There was something more to it than that. It had started when he was about ten and had consumed him since. People had ignored him, pretending like his very existence didn’t even exist…when they weren’t glaring at him or sneering.

They shunned him and kept all of their attention away from him.

Orange was an attention grabbing color. It was always easy to spot. People couldn’t help but notice it. Couldn’t tear their eyes away. It commanded attention…the thing he wanted when he was younger.

Fully dressed, Naruto shifted on his bed, not noticing that his ribs barely ached anymore as he leaned back against his bed, dressed like a giant, attention grabbing orange.

~*~

“Well I’m going to go check up on him.” Kyoko said as she waved to the Haruno, the two females standing at the main entrance of the hospital.

“Good luck getting past that line of girls.” Sakura huffed, looking disgruntled yet again. She had wanted more than to talk to Sasuke. She had wanted to thank him too. Who knew what state she would be in if Sasuke hadn’t had been there?

Kyoko only nodded before they parted ways. It only then occurred to her to wonder what room Sasuke was in, or even what floor for that matter. A passing nurse was kind enough to give her the room number and Kyoko set off. When she reached the right hall, Kyoko saw two girls exit from a door, whispering to each other as they went. They looked roughly around her age.

Peeking at the numbers displayed on the door, Kyoko saw they matched the numbers the nurse gave her.

‘I guess the line of girls did their business quickly.’ Kyoko mused as she went to the door. Just as she was about to open it, the door opened and she met the chest of a man. Stepping back, she blinked and looked up into a masked face.

Kakashi briefly looked at her over his orange ‘Icha Icha Paradise’ book before sighing.

“I thought those two were the last ones.” He mumbled to himself, certain that he could leave now. That was the last time he was doing Sasuke a favour. The Uchiha was pretending to be asleep for the good portion of the day because he didn’t want to deal with any of the girls that came to visit him.

“Ah, you must be Kakashi-sensei.” She said before stepping back and bowing towards him. “Thank you for coming to help me. I’m sorry if you got hurt.”

Kakashi blinked, pausing as he actually took in her appearance.

That face. Long blond hair. Female.

She looked a hell of a lot Naruto.

It had to be her.

Kyoko. Minato’s other child.

It was his first time actually meeting her.

He stepped forward and closed the door quietly behind him. He folded over the corner of the page in his book before closing it. “No, that’s alright. You must be Kyoko then.”

She straightened up before nodding. She then peered around his form, looking at the door before glancing up at the silver haired Jounin. “Is this Sasuke’s room? I wanted to thank him as well.”

Kakashi looked back at the door as well before inwardly shrugging. Surely he could let her talk to Sasuke…she had a valid reason. Wordlessly, he opened the door before opening his book once more and walking away, becoming immersed in it’s content.

Kyoko stepped into the room and the same instance she did, there was a small rustle near the bed. She looked over but only saw a sleeping Uchiha. She ignored it as she continued to look around the room.

She was impressed at all the stuff that cluttered the space around his bed. There was an assortment of flowers, some baskets of foods, some get well cards, and some other things that were hard to see at the moment.

Sasuke tried not to let his eyebrow twitch as he heard footsteps approach his bed. Usually Kakashi instructed the girls to put their stuff down and get out. But that stupid bastard had left.

Darn him! Sasuke would have his revenge!

He was supposed to be sleeping to let his body regain it’s strength from the poison. Or at least that’s what Kakashi and the nurses told the girls.

They just wouldn’t leave him alone!

A weight settled on the edge of his bed, near his shoulder, and Sasuke focused on making his breath deep and even, his face perfectly relaxed…or as relaxed as he could be. Then the sound of plastic crinkling reached his ears and he almost groaned. Had someone brought him another gaudy present?

“Wow! Look at all the candy in this basket! Oh, watermelon gummies!”

Sasuke’s eyes opened automatically at the familiar voice.

Kyoko had her back to him, a basket lying open in her lap with the destroyed plastic covering lying beside her, the blond popping some watermelon gummies into her mouth.

Sasuke blinked.

He couldn’t recognize her for a second with her hair down. She didn’t look the same. She looked more…mature and less childish. Not at all like the girl he knew.

Maybe he head misheard the voice.

She went to reach for another candy when her eye caught his and she visibly jumped.

“God! Would people stop pretending to be asleep?!” She accused heatedly. “Honestly, first Naruto, then you.” She said as jabbed a watermelon in his direction.

Nope, that was definitely Kyoko.

“Put your hair up.”

She blinked, her anger forgotten for a second at the weird command.

“…why?” She asked slowly, watching as Sasuke sat up.

“You don’t look the same without you’re hair up.” He said as he looked at her hand, with the candy still held out towards him, and pushed it away. She just starred at him, but he looked as emotionless as ever. She contemplated his words for a second before shrugging.

“I don’t have any elastic.” She replied airily before turning back to assess the assortment of goods people gave him. “I wonder which one is Sakura’s. I only really glanced at it.” Kyoko muttered to herself as she leaned forward and began rifling through the various vases that littered the top of the bedside table.

“It doesn’t matter, I’m going to throw everything out anyways.” Sasuke grumbled, eyeing the flowers with distastes as Kyoko made a noise of triumph and brought a single white flower forward towards the front of the collection.

Instead of a normal girl, who would scold him for revealing his bad intentions for the gifts, Kyoko only shrugged. “Fine, but let me take the candy and at least keep Sakura’s flower.”

He raised a brow, not saying anything. She saw his face and elaborated.

“What? You don’t like sweet things and Sakura’s my friend. Don’t throw out her stuff or else you’ll hurt her feelings. If Ino brought you something too, don’t throw it out either.”

Sasuke only rolled his eyes. How was he supposed to know which one Ino brought him? He had been pretending to be asleep the whole time. Strangely enough, pretending to be asleep made him tired.

A growl interrupted the air and the two preteens blinked before Kyoko looked at the Uchiha who only scowled back.

“What?” He demanded. “I’m hungry.”

She looked around at the baskets of food surrounding him. “Hmm, well look at that. Not one of your fan girls thought about bringing you actual food. It’s all candy.” She mused.

Sasuke groaned while Kyoko stood up.

“Here, I’ll get you something, don’t bother the nurses or anything.” She said before disappearing from the room without waiting for Sasuke to say anything. He waited for her to come back, but it seemed like forever and he found exhaustion creeping up on him.

Who knew that by pretending to be asleep half the day you would wear yourself out? Maybe it was the stress with came with who it was he was trying to avoid by pretending to be asleep.

The next moment, he found himself asleep, slumped against his pillow with his arms crossed loosely against his chest, the position he had been in while he waited for the blond to come back. When he came to, it was late in the afternoon instead of the morning, which was when he had fallen asleep.

He yawned, rubbing his eye as his neck ached from how he slept. His hand hit a small folding tray standing up above his lap, a piece of paper on the corner.

'I can’t believe you fell asleep! I was only gone for ten minutes! Well anyways, I hope I got something you approve of. Oh and thank you for earlier. Sorry you were poisoned. Kyoko.'

Sasuke looked at the food she had picked out for him. A set of rice balls and three tomatoes looked back at him. His lip quirked up at that. Looking to his side, he absently noticed that all the baskets and gifts that the girls had given him were gone, save for Sakura’s vase and one with ‘Yamanaka Ino’ printed in bold letters, multiple flowers protruding from that particular one.

He set Kyoko’s note among the two flowers before eating his meal.

~*~

“Where did you get all this?” Naruto asked through a mouthful of chocolate. His room was littered with baskets of candy and other sweets. Kyoko sat on his bed with him, unwrapping a piece of candy.

“I stole it from Sasuke.”

~*~

“NO!” Kiba shouted as he struck his arms out, his voice cutting through the silence of the room. “No more of these crappy missions! I mean it!” He continued to rant, Akamaru giving a single bark from the front of his coat.

“Ki-Kiba-kun!” Hinata squeaked in surprise, her pearl eyes going huge as she starred at her teammate. Her gaze then flickered to the Hokage seated a few feet in front of them and her cheeks instantly coloured while Kurenai’s eyes widened as well.

“Kiba! What are you saying?” Yuuhi Kurenai scolded as she grabbed a hold of the hood of Kiba’s jacket, the hood worn down for once, and yanked him back. He stumbled, loosing his balance and flailing his arms for a moment while Kurenai looked over at the table where everyone sat watching them.

“I’m so sorry Hokage-sama.” Kurenai apologized as she shot an apologetic look towards Sarutobi who was watching the scene from his position behind the long desk, Iruka shooting the Inuuk a disapproving look from the Hokage’s side.

Before anyone could continue talking, Kiba continued from where he left off, wrenching himself away from Kurenai‘s grasp and almost tumbling into the ever silent Shino.

“But come on! We’ve been doing stupid D-rank missions ever since we got out of the Academy! We haven’t even done a C-rank mission yet! What’s with that? We can handle it!” Kiba continued, Akamaru giving a single bark to show his agreement.

Iruka stood from his desk as he decided to answer Kiba’s question for himself.

“You’re merely Genins who graduated from the Academy a couple months ago! You start with the easy missions first to gain experience. So you do the D-rank missions that we gave you!” Iruka explained as he scowled at the Inuzuka who only scowled back, his fangs peeking out from his lip.

“You have all just become Genins recently,” Everyone paused as Sarutobi spoke. “so D-rank missions are best suited for you.”

Kiba sighed, the sound seeming to have come from his very soul as he ran a hand through his hair. “Look, I know that. But we can handle better missions. Honest to God.” Kiba continued.

Iruka looked as if he was about to open his mouth and scold Kiba once more for persisting when Sarutobi had clearly closed the matter, when Sarutobi held up his hand, causing the Chuunin to blink.

“Alright.”

“Wh-What?!” Iruka and Kurenai cried out in shock while Kiba felt his jaw drop slightly. He looked slowly over at his teammates to see if they had heard the same thing he had. Or if he had just wanted a better mission so much he had hallucinated.

Shino looked the same and Hinata looked frozen in places, her skin changing from the flushed color it had been, to extremely pale.

Taking advantage of the silence, Sarutobi decided to keep talking.

“I will allow you to take on a C-mission.”

“YES!” Kiba yelled out, now realizing that he had not hallucinated, and this was in fact happening. The Sandaime watched as Kiba pumped his fists in the air and continued to do some kind of weird victory dance.

It was only a matter of time before the new Genins snapped, always wanting to take on better missions. There was always someone who snapped. In all honesty though, he had been surprised that the Inuzuka boy had been the first one of this generation to snap. He for sure thought Naruto would’ve snapped a long time ago.

Then again, if memory served him correctly, Naruto was in the hospital at the moment, along with another member of his team…the Uchiha boy.

“You have to escort a bridge builder named Tazuna to the Land of Waves.” Sarutobi continued.

“Wait…wait, Hokage-sama.” Kurenai called out, casting a glance at her students before locking eyes with the Sandaime. “You can’t be serious about this!”

“What? You don’t think we can do this?” Kiba asked, highly offended at the lack of confidence their teacher had in them. Kurenai turned to face him, reprimand ready on her tongue, and blinked.

Hinata was standing a little straighter, her teeth biting into her bottom lip though she met Kurenai’s gaze evenly while Shino stood with his jaw set, posture immaculacy straight and sunglasses glinting. With Kiba, all three were looking at her, all with traces of determination in their demeanour.

They wanted to do this. Actually do this. Althought Kiba had been the only one who spoke out, it seemed they all wanted to go on this mission.

“I…” She started, her brows drawing together in confusion. What could she say now? “I see.” She turned to look at Sarutobi and nodded. “We’ll take the mission.”

Iruka seemed at loss of what to do. No one was on his side anymore. The Chuunin slowly lowered himself back down into his chair.

Sarutobi nodded his understanding before continuing. “You can come in now!” He called out loudly, Team 8 turning as the door opened.

A man came in, a bottle of sake held in one hand. He peered at the three Genins through his glazes before his eyebrows shot up.

“What is this? They’re all just kids!” Tazuna accused with a scoff, grimacing before taking a swig from the sake bottle in his hands. The smell and the insult, made Kiba wrinkle his nose. The sake made the man’s color heighten in his face as he walked forward.

“Tazuna-san,” Sarutobi spoke up. “rest assured, they are qualified ninjas.”

The old bridge builder scoffed before looking them over. Ninjas? Children like them?

“You’re job is to escort me back to my country, and then protect me while I finish completing the bridge.” Tazuna informed them as he placed a hand on his hip. “Think you can handle that?”

~*~