TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Troubled Mind by preoccupied

[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

-A/N:

WARNINGS: Language, perhaps some OOCness

DISCLAIMER: In no way do I own, or claim to own, Masashi Kishimoto's Naruto...

Learning the Ropes

Chapter Two

-
-

Uzamaki Naruto was in high spirits as he made his way through the school halls early Friday morning. Last night had been better than he could've hoped for. Gran had told him that a change of scenery would be good for his social life. A new school, new faces. He had his doubts, but it seemed the old hag wasn't completely off her rocker.

He had a meeting with the principal before the bell, which lasted half way into first block. Equipped with his schedule, a locker number and a school map, he took off skipping stupidly down the halls searching out room 102. Thankfully no one was around to watch him do so.

The school, like the town, was tiny in comparison to what Naruto was used to and consisted of two long hallways intersecting like a cross through the middle. Here the words 'Lunch Room' was written on Naruto's map. These two halls cut the school into four sections, or corners, and lead to four exits. Classrooms lined the single floor perimeter, three to a corner, separated by a single hallway looping them all together around the outside edge of the building. The hallway was more of an outdoor walkway as it was not completely enclosed. This left four single rooms in the center touching the alleged lunch room: The boys and girl's separate washrooms, computer class and the science lab. The school itself would look exactly like the typical four pane window if not for the gym which jutted out from the lower right corner, beneath which was the Art class at the bottom of the schools only staircase.

The west exit, near the office and the gym, lead to the parking lot and the road; to the north stood a chainlink fence and evergreens; the east graced a grassy hill darning a single maple tree stretching to the sky, with a pond nestled at the hills base which trickled off into the towns Swamp. A swamp the town founders had graciously named "Thessel Lake"; the south held the designated school feild where several part soccer nets part foot ball goals were set into the ground.

He resisted the urge to check out the lunch hall and made his way straight north from the office taking the outer hall to room 102 where his English class was already taking place. He took a quick look around only to find a single familiar face. Deathboots. Naruto gave a friendly wave when the other boy's eyes met his, and got the finger in return. He scowled, restraining himself from acting out, and took his seat. He really hoped he'd get a class with someone friendly next.

The teacher had made him stay behind after class so she could explain the course curriculum and put together a booklet of past work for him to catch up with. She had given him a note explaining this to his second block teacher and sent him on his way only a few minutes late.

To his relief, upon entering his physics class in the science room, he spotted the guys immediately. Choji, Kiba and Shino occupied a table to the far left. Summoning up his courage he gave the guys a wide grin as he passed to give the teacher his late note. The man handed him the days worksheet and told him to come back after school to pick up the the last weeks work.

That was a relief, at least he wouldn't be stuck in here half way through lunch.

Turing around, he found Choji waving him over. "Uzamaki, over here."

Naruto cringed a little, they were still calling him by his last name. When he neared the table he overheard Kiba complaining.

"Why are school dances always held on Thursdays?" The boy moaned, head falling into his folded arms.

"It's to discourage late night 'after-dance' activities." Shino offered in a distant tone, bent over his worksheet.

"Too bad that didn't stop us ... I'm freaking exhausted." Kiba stretched, repositioning himself over the large lab table.

Choji was sifting through his school bag, deciding what to snack on now and what to save for lunch."Still?" He chortled, choosing a small pack of Lays Potato Chips. "You slept through first block!"

"Hn."

"Good morning, ladies!" Naruto greeted the three, taking a stool across from Shino, Kiba on the left and Choji on his right.

"Sure... he's full of energy." Kiba complained to himself. Head still buried.

"I'm always energetic! Comes from eating a full, well balanced breakfast." With that he belched loudly, the smell of cornflakes permeating the air.

Shino, who had already begun working steadily on his paper looked up over his dark glasses. "Glad you could grace us with your presence. Exactly the kind of company I've been craving..."

Naruto spluttered. "Hell yeah, I'm good company. Hey, you saw me with Sakura last night, didn't you?" He retorted, then poked kiba's elbow. "Told you I'd have her swooning."

Kiba snorted, not lifting his head. "Yeah, and when Deathboots came she took off running."

Naruto frowned a little, he was already starting to dislike this 'Deathboots', and his new friends were turning out to be not so friendly this morning. Then Choji spoke up.

"Give him a break. Any girl would've done the same." The next thought came through a mouthful of potato chips. "In fact, every girl did."

This made Naruto smile. "Thank you, Choji." He used the guy's first name, hoping to throw the hint across.

Shino was working with a calculator and scribbling equations on his note pad. For all Naruto knew, he wasn't even following the conversation until he spoke without looking up. "Hanabi wouldn't."

That brought Kiba's head up. "That's for sure. Hanabi-san's not like that. She's one of a kind."

"That's because she lives with the guy!" Choji rolled his eyes. "Not to mention she's a first year, here. Three years difference is a lot at this age. She's practically a child!"

Before Kiba could retort, Naruto cut in. "Hey wait. Is Hanabi the girl who got into deathboot's car last night?"

Kiba shrugged, the movement seemed to take a lot of energy. "Well, I wasn't there, but that would make sense. They live so far out of town, it's unlikely that she'd walk."

"And why else would Sasuke show up? He's lived here for a year already and has never come to a single party." Choji added, munching loudly. "We stopped inviting him."

"Sasuke, huh? I couldn't make out the name at the volume the girls were screaming it."

Kiba nodded, passing his paper to Shino, who began writing. "Yeah, he's so stuck up. Hanabi-san says he shuts himself in his room all day and blasts heavy metal into the night. Her parents can't stand it. Then he sneaks out at five in the morning and isn't home again until school's out."

"So ... she's his sister? They look nothing alike." Naruto mused, remembering the sharp angles of the boys pale face in contrast to the young girl's own curved, soft features.

"Naw, he's a foster kid. Hanabi's parents took him in for some reason. Some conflict ... aparently the hyugas are his only relatives." Kiba gave Naruto a pointed look. "I hear it was requested by his parole officer that he be transfered to smaller town."

"Huh. Badass Deathboots." The blond whistled, deciding he really didn't like the boy. He was beginning to remind him of some of the kids back at home that lived to push him around "And Hana tells you all of this? Why?"

Before Kiba could reply, Choji broke in. "Because she loooves him." He mocked and Kiba's face shaded a light red, neither boy payed any attention to Shino as he returned Kiba's paper and reached for Choji's. "They tell eachother everything, Uzamaki. They even shave eachothers legs and paint their nails together," he giggled girlishly.

Naruto stared wide eyed at Choji then slowly panned toward the blushing brunette. "... for reals...?"

Choji just laughed and Kiba threw him a wicked snarl before turning his glare in Naruto's direction. "No, dumbass. Choji just can't get over the fact that I have a female friend whom I spend almost as much time with as him."

"Don't listen! And DON"T call her Hana. It's disrespectful." Choji grinned, obviously loving his friend's embarrassement. "He just wants her goodies."

That seemed to hit something, because Kiba's stool screeched against the floor as he stood up. "This coming from the guy with his lips glued to Shikamaru's ass!" Kiba glared, palms hitting the table. A couple heads turned from other groups as silence spread over the room. A few rolled their eyes, others returned to their conversations. Naruto thought that this must be a common sight, as though everyone had long given up telling the boys to shut their traps.

Meanwhile, Choji's smile had disappeared, and Naruto thought it was a good moment to step in. "So ... where is Shikamaru anyway?" His eyes shifted nervously between the two.

Shino casually pushed Choji's paper back in front of the boy, who didn't move a muscle, and moved on to Naruto's paper. "He's taking an advanced physics course." He said.

Choji brightened visibly, prising his eyes from Kiba. "Yeah, Shikamaru is so smart! He doesn't even have to try and he always gets top marks. If it weren't for him I would've had to retake math last semester."

"Still tasting that ass?" Kiba smirked, making kissy faces in his round friend's direction.

Now choji was on his feet as well. "Why you fu-"

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-ing, ri-i-i-i-i-i-ing. The bell cut out choji's words, but Kiba got the message nonetheless. Launching himself over the table he took the other to the ground.

Just then Naruto's stomach gave a low growl and her remembered what the bell at this particular time of the day would mean. "Guys, GUYS!" The two paused, Kiba's fist in striking position and Choji's eyes closed tight. "As fascinating as this is, we have more important things to think about now."

Kiba narrowed his eyes and Choji continued to cower but chanced a peek. "Like what?" Kiba spoke first, bitingly. Neither payed any attention as Shino gathered up the four worksheets and handed them to the teacher.

Naruto shouldered their cold stares and managed a grin. "What do you think? We are about to embark on the single most important time of the day!"

More stares.

Naruto sighed, and brought his hands up. "...Lunch time?"

Kiba raised an eyebrow. Choji was a lot more responsive. "Hell yeah!" His eyes flew open and, with sudden strength, managed to knock Kiba aside as he stood and spun towards the door. "Let's eat!"

The three met Shino at the exit and headed down the corridor.

All the students, grades eight to twelve, were out in the halls. Yet there was still so much room to walk around. Naruto followed the guys down the hall passed the boy's washroom and to the right where the florescent lighting suddenly shifted to all-natural sunshine. Looking up he found that the octagonal roof was no more than nine glass windows in the shape of a bug's eye, or the top of a gem. Little puffs of white clouds listed lazily in the blue.

When his eyes returned to the lunch room, his face fell. All he saw were twelve picknick tables, two vending machines and a water fountain. Shikamaru was lying on top of one table near the west wall, staring through the angled ceiling windows at the passing clouds.

"What is this!?" Naruto looked the place over unappreciatively. "Where's the lunch line?"

Kiba thrust his thumb toward two small vending machines and a fountain. "help yourself, Uzamaki." He grinned.

Naruto just frowned. "Well thank you very much, Kiba." He stressed the shaggy boy's first name, then looked to the others who all just shrugged apologetically.

"We all just bring lunches from home." Choji said. "Don't look at me for a hand out."

Still frowning, Naruto stalked to the vending machines, eying them suspiciously. One offered chips, chocolate and energy bars while the other drinks of Orange juice and a couple varieties of sodas as well as a small ice dispenser built into the side. Holding out his hands he pushed the button and let the cubes fall into his palms. Then, ignoring the stares he received from the others, he continued to where Shikamaru was lying. When the boy failed to notice him, he dumped the ice on the boy's placid face.

"Agh!" Shikamaru sat up quickly, ice falling onto the table around him, and found an equally agitated blond glaring at him. "... What did I do?"

Naruto narrowed his eyes further. "I want real food," he muttered.

Shikamaru sighed. "How annoying... what do expect me to do about it?"

Naruto didn't reply for a minute, obviously thinking very, very hard. By now the others had joined the two. "Give it up, Uzamaki." Kiba put a hand on his shoulder and held out a paper bag he retrieved from his backpack. "If you're gonna be a brat about it, you can have part of my lunch."

Naruto stared wordlessly at the shaggy brunnete, deciding whether to cheer or throw his arms around his neck.

"Kieee-ba." A soft, sing-song voice floated toward them. Distracted, Naruto looked up to see the girl called Hanabi from last night walking toward them. "Hey, Dude. Want to spend lunch hour with me?" She ignored the other four, eyes focused on Kiba.

Naruto could've sworn he heard Shikamaru sigh quietly before Kiba replied enthusiastically. "Of course! Here, Uzamaki, you can keep this." He shoved the lunch bag at Naruto's chest.

Naruto, Shino, and Shikamaru stood watching their friend's retreating back. Choji was busying himself with a turkey sandwich, unfazed. "So, are we going to eat or what?"

"So it's true, he's really into her, huh?" Naruto asked the group, ignoring Choji's question.

Shino wiped his glasses on his shirt and held them up to the light to inspect them. "His affection wanders by the month. He'll be over her and crushing on another before you know it." Naruto thought he detected a slight pout in Shino's tone, but decided he was imagining it.

"Hello?" Choji didn't take well to having important matters ignored. "Food? Mouth... digestion through bodily fluids and the like ... Lets freeking eat!"

"You are eating, fatass." Shikamaru laughed. "You're always eating."

Choji paused mid-chew at the 'fatass' comment. "Maru ..." He whined with his mouth full.

"Heh, fatass." Naruto giggled to himself.

"What did you say?!" Choji was suddenly in his face, fists balled around his sandwich. Naruto gulped.

"Let's eat, then, shall we?" Shikamaru gave Naruto a sideways grin and lead the way out of the lunch hall.

Wow, Naruto thought, what just happened there?

They had taken the east exit and sat in the shade of the tall maple. It was only spring, but the weather was already smoldering hot. The juice in Kiba's lunch bag was warm as well, but he was greatful all the same.

"Sasuke was soo hot last night." Naruto turned to the voice and found a group of girls settling down on the hill not far from him. Sakura was among them.

"Aren't you guys glad I was keeping my eyes on little Hana?" Sakura chimed in proudly. "I noticed right away when she answered her phone."

"We might have missed him like last time if you hadn't." Said another, then grinned and nodded in Naruto's general direction. "Is that the guy you were dancing with? I've never seen him before."

Naruto, who was probably paying way more attention to their conversation than was polite, quickly averted his eyes when Sakura turned to meet his gaze head on. She looked a little surprised as well, then brightened and got to her feet. "Hey!" She called, and all the guys looked up. "How are you ...um."

"It's Uzamaki Naruto." Choji offered, lying on his back by his empty lunch bag. "Didn't leave a lasting impression I see-" He was cut off when shikamaru gave him a firm kick to the side.

"I knew that." She scowled briefly before returning to Naruto with smiling eyes. "Mind if I borrow him for a sec? The girls want to meet him."

"See if I care-" Another jab caused him to splutter. "Will you cut that out, Shikamaru?"

"Go ahead, see you in third block, Uzamaki." The lazy boy waved.

A little nervous, Naruto followed the girl back to her group, all eyes in his direction. He formally met Ino, who smiled widely but seemed to judge him with her eyes; Tenten, giving a small wave and continuing to pick at the ground with a pocket knife; Hinata, who blushed and muttered something that could've been a 'pleased to meet you.'. The rest of the introductions were cut off when the one called Ino suddenly shushed everyone.

"Here he comes!" She whispered hoarsely. Naruto heard the dull clunking and quiet jingling of metal clasps on hard leather before he looked up.

"Sasuke!" Sakura had spun on her feet and approached the boy, leaving Naruto the odd on out in a group of ogling girls.

The pale boy stopped slowly and met Sakura's dancing eyes with his own cold gaze. Waiting.

Sakura seemed to shrink a little, but held her ground. "I was wondering if you'd like to come eat with us today, Sasuke. We'd love to have you sit with us. I mean..." She bit her lip, eyes finding her shoes. "I would like you to sit with us."

"Look at her hogging his attention like that. Who does she think she is?" Ino huffed quietly. "I should butt in-" She was instantly hushed by one of the other girls.

Sasuke continued to regard Sakura with cold eyes. "Why would I want to sit with you?" He asked at length.

Sakura looked up, a little shocked. Before she could say anything he was already past her and heading towards the pond.

Sakura shuffled back to her group who gathered around her in comfort.

"At least you tried, Sakura." One soothed.

"Yeah, he can be a real ass." said another.

"But a real hot ass." They all giggled. Sakura just stared at her lunch, crestfallen.

Naruto felt his blood boil. "Where the hell does he get off acting like that?" He growled. The girls stopped their giggling to look up at the blond. Their blank stares bringing him nearly to rage. "What? If I were a girl I wouldn't let him talk to me like that! Hell, the guy gave me the finger today and I still want to level him!"

Sakura shook her head at this and told Naruto that it wasn't a big deal. The blond's scowl deepened and he turned to see where deathboots had gone. He was standing at the pond's edge, tearing up his sandwich and throwing pieces to the ducks.

He had no right to hurt Sakura's feelings like that. He didn't stick around to hear any more of Sakura's lame excuses. Making a beeline for the dark haired bastard, he clenched his fists. Before Sakura could protest, he reached the other boy and began shouting. "What makes you think you can talk to girls like that, huh?"

Sasuke only blinks, inclining his head slighlty to see the raging teen.

"Nothing to say?" Naruto spat. "Let me help you out." He made a swing to collide with the boy's face and his momentum carried him forward when the other leaned to the side. Hardly a movement, but more than enough. Before he could correct his footing Sasuke's knee came up into his solar plexus, knocking the wind out of him and bring him down on all fours. As he crumpled to the ground he was suddenly acutely aware of the shouts and cheers around him. There were people watching, and they were beginning to form a crowd. Pushing inward.

Naruto felt warm. This wasn't supposed to happen. He was supposed to have left this behind in the city. New school, new faces... a new chance. But in his mind he saw flashes of the old. The thugs and bullies. Hot rage threatened to pour over his body and his vision tinged red in effort to keep it at bay. Blind with fury, Naruto kicked out, aiming for the other's shins only to have his foot caught in a vice grip as Sasuke flipped the blond onto his stomach and bent his knee over his back. Pinned to the ground Naruto struggled and spat, unable to find escape. It was so quick it was embarrassing, and his rage dissolved into panic and shame.

Over the crowd Naruto caught a "Maybe somebody should help him..." That was Shino's voice, followed by a "It's too troublesome. It's not our fault he picked a fight with a ninja." Well ... Naruto thought dejectedly, squirming violently under Sasuke's hold. At least they thought about stepping in.

"Back up, everyone!" An unfamiliar female voice shouted over the clamor. ""I said step aside!" Suddenly Sasuke released his attacker and got to his feet. Naruto was too slow, however, and someone grabbed his arm and yanked him to a standing position. It was a teacher with tousled brown hair and a powerful grip. "This is a surprise." She said, looking Naruto over. "You're a bit of a small kid. So you're either stupid too, or just new." Naruto couldn't respond, mouth gaping at the insult made in front of the school. "Guess it's a bit of both."

With that, she marched the two boys through the crowd and to the school.

Moments later Naruto was sitting in the office reception area, arms crossed and fuming in every direction but Sasuke's. Beside him, a very silent Deathboots was contemplating the blond, hands folded by his chin.

They both jumped as the office door abruptly banged open, giving way to one openly furious woman.

"It's your first day and you've already got suspended?" She wasted no time with greetings. "And for what? fighting!"

"Come on, Gran ..." Naruto rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

She paid his pleas no attention. "I swear your head must be filled with rocks. Are you trying to make yourself miserable?" She fumed, throwing her hands in the air. "What happened to trying to fit in and make friends?"

"I have friends!"

"Right." She scoffed, hands now onher hips. "And where were they when you got your ass handed to you?" Naruto heard a scoff in the corner. "Watching. perhaps?"

Naruto only pouted.

"Gran, hear me out!-"

"If we end up moving again because you can't fit in, i don't care what your excus-"

"He was just sticking up for some girl."

Naruto, caught mid-pout, dared a surprised glance at the dark eyed deathboots who was staring at the ground. Tsunade turned sharply to the one who interrupted her. "Who are you?"

His eyes met hers challengingly. "The guy who kicked your kid's ass." Naruto was bewildered. What the hell was deathboots doing?

"My kid?" She chuckled. "I guess that would be accurate..." Then she strode off quickly through office doors, beckoning Naruto to follow. "Naruto, get you bag. We're leaving."

The blond looked back one more time as he followed his guardian out the door. Sasuke eyes were back on the ground.
-

-

end chapter.
Chapter end notes: That was fun to write. Am I getting better at this?