TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Salvation by jenl821

[Reviews - 80]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Salvation

Salvation

 

Chapter 9: The Path Opens

 

 

“What?” Sakura shouted to Tsunade, clenching her fists by her sides.

 

“I’m sending the two of them on the mission and that’s that,” Tsunade said, looking Sakura straight in the eyes.

 

“But Tsunade-sama, you can’t!  They don’t even know what’s happened to me yet!”  Sakura commented.

 

“Well, actually that’s not true,” Tsunade began and Sakura eyed her curiously.

 

“What do you mean?”  Sakura prompted.

 

“Uchiha knows,” Tsunade answered.

 

“Sasuke-kun knows!” Sakura shouted again.  She couldn’t believe Tsunade.  She didn’t have the right to tell him such things; just as she was about to voice that opinion, Tsunade spoke.

 

“I had to Sakura.  It was the only way I knew I could convince him to go,” Tsunade told her.  “You’ll have to inform Naruto though, he still has no clue.”

 

Sakura crossed her arms over her chest and turned her head to look out the window.  She was beyond upset.  Tsunade had called her in for an emergency meeting and she had explained the mission that Sasuke and Naruto were about to embark on.  She didn’t like it at all; not only about the fact that she couldn’t go, but also about the fact that they were going out, risking their lives, for her.

 

“Listen Sakura,” Tsunade began.  She got up from her desk and made her way over to Sakura.  She laid her hand on Sakura’s shoulder.  “I know you don’t like this, but it’s the only option I have.  You know they are the only two qualified ninjas available to take on this mission.  They will be ok, and when they return, you’ll have your chakra back.”

 

Sakura looked down, nodding her head in agreement.  As much as she hated the situation, she knew Tsunade was right.  “When do they leave?” Sakura asked.

 

“In two days.  That should give the shinobis I sent out to collect information on Orochimaru enough time to get back,” Tsunade answered her.

 

“I hate feeling so useless,” Sakura commented and Tsunade sighed.

 

“Listen Sakura, you have to understand that sometimes life is going to throw some curveballs, but they are only there to make us stronger.  You’ll get through this and you’ll be back to your regular self in no time at all.”

 

“How long will they be gone?”

 

“I’m expecting a week or so.  From what I understand, Orochimaru is only two days from here, so it all depends on how long it takes them to retrieve the vial from Orochimaru,”  Tsunade said, moving back to her desk and sitting down.  She crossed her arms under her chin and looked over to Sakura.

 

“And they don’t have to confront Orochimaru, right?” Sakura questioned, turning back to Tsunade.

 

“They are under strict orders to avoid conflict if at all possible.  They are to retrieve the vial and come straight back here.  I know that you don’t like this situation, but you know how you always want Naruto and the Uchiha to trust you on missions, well it’s time for you to give them the same courtesy,” Tsunade said.  She searched through all of the files on her desk until she pulled out a brown folder.

 

“Why don’t you take this,” Tsunade began, handing Sakura the folder.  “That’s all the details for the mission.  Maybe if you read that, you’ll feel better about it.”

 

“Alright, I will.  Thank you Tsunade-sama,” Sakura told her, eager to read the folder at that moment, but she had one more question to address before she could leave.  “Is Sasuke going to have to stay in prison until they leave?”

 

“I’m afraid so.  It was hard enough for me to convince the elders that Uchiha was the only choice for the mission; I can’t go back and ask for him to be released.  He’s still a liability, and even if you think he won’t leave, I’m not so sure about that,” Tsunade said truthfully.  Sakura could hear a hint of sympathy in her voice and wondered if maybe Tsunade was warming up a bit to Sasuke.

 

Sakura stood up to take her leave.  “I guess I’ll go and find Naruto to explain things to him so he’s not so confused.  He didn’t ask what the details of the mission were when you explained it to him earlier?”

 

“Surprisingly, no.  As soon as I said he was going on a mission with Uchiha, all other details were lost on him.  His eyes lit up so wide.  I don’t know what it is about that boy that has the two of you so smitten,” Tsunade commented.

 

Sakura laughed a bit.  “I don’t think Naruto would like you to say he was ‘smitten’ with Sasuke-kun,” Sakura commented.  She held the folder closer to her chest.  “One day Tsunade-sama, you’ll see what’s so special about Sasuke-kun.”

 

Tsunade smirked.  “Hmm, maybe you’re right, but I won’t believe it until I see it.  I’d bet on his betrayal again, if I was a gambling woman,” Tsunade said and Sakura laughed a little louder.

 

“That’s right, Tsunade-sama, you’re definitely not the gambling type,” Sakura said sarcastically.  She rolled her eyes at her mentor; only she had the power to make Sakura laugh in such dire situations.

 

Deciding to change the subject, Sakura asked, “Can me and Naruto go and visit Sasuke-kun?”

 

“I don’t really like that idea, but if I just forbade you, I know the two of you would find a way in there anyway,” Tsunade commented, looking down at all the papers on her desk.

 

“So, is that a yes?” Sakura urged.

 

Tsunade looked up at Sakura, a hint of annoyance on her face.  “Get out of here Sakura,” Tsunade said and Sakura knew that was her way of saying yes.

 

Sakura made her way to the door.  She pulled it open and just as she was about to go through, Tsunade’s voice stopped her.  “And Sakura,” Tsunade began.  Sakura turned around to look at her sitting behind the desk.  She had a stern look on her face and Sakura knew that she was about to say something important.  “Do not, under any circumstances, try to follow the two of them when they leave.  Don’t forget that right now you have no chakra, you’re just like any other civilian, and you’re vulnerable.  You would not be able to survive it out there in your condition.”

 

Sakura nodded her head in understanding before turning to leave the room.  You know me too well Tsunade-sama.

 

 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

 

Sakura walked down the street with Naruto by her side.  She held a couple tomatoes wrapped inside of a cloth as the two made their way to where Sasuke was being held.

 

“So you have absolutely no chakra at all?” Naruto questioned for the third time and Sakura was getting annoyed.

 

“That’s right Naruto.  I’m as dry as a bone,” Sakura said to him, rolling her eyes.

 

“I can’t believe that happened, Sakura-chan.  I’m so sorry,” Naruto said.  His eyes were full of apologies.

 

“Like I already said before Naruto, it wasn’t your fault.  It wasn’t yours or Sasuke-kun’s.  It was my decision, and this was the consequences.  I just hate that you two are forced to go on this mission because of me,” Sakura admitted.

 

“Well, you know I love missions.  And I’m sure Sasuke is relieved to be getting out to go on a mission.  Tsunade-baa-chan said that if Sasuke completes this mission then that will be taken into consideration when she determines his punishment,” Naruto commented. 

 

Sakura was about to say something when Naruto continued to talk.  “And I know that we’ll definitely succeed.”

 

“You don’t know that Naruto,” Sakura told him.

 

“But I do.  You’re involved, and when it concerns you, Sakura-chan, failure isn’t an option, and I know the teme feels the same way,” Naruto said, giving Sakura a huge smile.

 

Sakura smiled at Naruto.  He was her best friend, he cared about her so much and she felt the same way.  She didn’t know how Sasuke felt though.  He might hate her right now for making him come back.  But he did save us, that has to count for something.

 

“Don’t take any unnecessary risks.  If you can’t get the vial without confronting Orochimaru, then just come home, please,” Sakura pleaded, looking straight into Naruto’s eyes.

 

“Don’t worry, Sakura-chan, everything’s going to be ok,” Naruto said.

 

Sakura nodded her head, just deciding to leave the issue alone.  They approached the prison, and walked down the stairway to the cells. 

 

One guard was stationed outside the gate.

 

“We’re here to see Sasuke Uchiha,” Sakura told him.

 

“You don’t have permission to be here,” the man said, looking at the two of them.

 

“Listen here,” Naruto began, stepping in front of Sakura and moving right in front of the man’s face.  “The Hokage gave her apprentice,” Naruto said, pointing at Sakura.  “and me, the future hokage, specific permission to come here.  So move out of the way, teme.”

 

Sakura was a bit taken aback.  Naruto didn’t usually act like that toward other people.  Unless Sasuke-kun’s involved.

 

The man didn’t argue anymore.  He stepped back and let the two of them pass.  “His cell is the third on the right and you have ten minutes,” the guard said.  Sakura was tempted to argue with him about the time constraint, but decided it was best to take what she was given.

 

They walked down the dark path to the third cell.  Looking in, Sakura saw that Sasuke appeared to be asleep on his bed.

 

“Teme, wake up!” Naruto shouted, and Sakura shook her head.  Way to announce our presence, Naruto.

 

Sakura watched as Sasuke sat up and looked at the two of them.  He seemed to widen his eyes a bit for a second, but before Sakura could really tell, his eyes were back to their usual, distant way.

 

“Get over here and talk to us.  We only have five minutes,” Naruto said to him.

 

Sasuke seemed to shake his head.  Getting up he made his way closer to them.  Sitting on the edge of his bed, he looked at the two of them.

 

Sakura looked at Sasuke and noticed the bags under his eyes.  He’s not sleeping much.  I guess I wouldn’t either in this place. It’s not exactly homely.

 

“Hey Sasuke-kun,” Sakura said cheerfully, hoping to bring some life into the dank cell.  “I brought you a few tomatoes because I know you like them.”

 

Sakura put her hand through the bars and held the tomatoes out to Sasuke.  He eyed her for a second before taking them from her.  He set them on the bed. 

 

“Thanks,” he muttered and Sakura was a bit shocked.  She really didn’t expect a reaction at all.

 

Sasuke didn’t know what to say.  Both of the people who had almost died to help him were standing in front of him.  He wanted to apologize, but couldn’t.  He had so many things to ask, to say, but he couldn’t force himself to say them. 

 

“How have you been, Sasuke-kun?”  Sakura asked him.

 

Sasuke shrugged his shoulders a bit.  He really wasn’t in the mood for idle chit-chat, but the least he could do was oblige them with some words.  “As good as I can be in this shit-hole,” Sasuke admitted.

 

“Tsunade-sama said that she couldn’t release you until the mission because you’re still considered a threat by the elders,” Sakura told him.

 

“Figures,” Sasuke said, turning his head to the right to stare at the wall.

 

“So teme, it looks like we’re going back on a mission together.  We’ll be like Team 7 again,” Naruto said.  Sakura’s smile faltered a bit.  It would be like team 7, except her and Kakashi wouldn’t be there.

 

Sasuke saw Sakura’s smile falter a bit and he bit back a remark at Naruto.  He felt that guilt again and he wanted to say something to help the situation. 

 

“How are you doing Sakura, since-,” Sasuke said, not really sure what to say.

 

Sakura looked up at Sasuke with wide eyes.  Did he really just ask me how I was doing?

 

“I’m doing fine.  I just wish I could go with you two.  I hate being left out again,” Sakura said.  She rubbed her hands together in nervousness, but what she was nervous about she had no idea.

 

“I told you Sakura-chan, everything’s going to be ok, right teme?”  Naruto said and Sasuke saw Naruto looking at him. 

 

“Naruto’s right.  We’ll get the vial and you’ll get your chakra back,” Sasuke said to her.

 

“Thanks you two,” Sakura said, trying to hold back tears.

 

“Do you have people watching you?” Sasuke asked Sakura and she looked up, confused.

 

“Watching me? Why would people be watching me?”  Sakura asked.

 

“Well, since you don’t have any chakra, you’re really vulnerable now. I’m sure people know about you, so they might try and attack you when you can’t fight back,” Sasuke said. 

 

Sakura could feel her cheeks heat up as the blush spread across her face.  She couldn’t believe that Sasuke had said something like that to her.  Maybe he really does care.

 

Sasuke was berating himself inside.  Why did he have to go and say that?  It was like he cared again.  He didn’t want that.  He didn’t want these bonds again, but he couldn’t make himself stop thinking about the fact that he was happy to see Sakura blush.

 

“Tsunade-sama has kept it very secret.  Only you two, Kakashi-sensei, and Tsunade-sama know about it.  So, I’m sure I’m not in any danger,” Sakura told him.  She turned away from him, not being able to look him in the eyes.

 

“I’ll take care of Sakura-chan,” Naruto stated, almost in a challenging way toward Sasuke.


Sasuke snorted to himself.  It was just like Naruto to take it the wrong way.  Deciding it was best to hold his tongue, he just shook his head.

 

“What happened after me and Naruto passed out that day, Sasuke-kun?  Tsunade-sama told us how you brought us back, but we still don’t know what occurred between the time we fought and the time you brought us back,” Sakura asked.  She had been wondering that for quite some time and she thought this was as good a time as any.

 

Sasuke looked down.  He didn’t really want to tell them what happened, but again, he felt he owed it to them.  I hate owing people something.

 

“After the loud bang and we were all thrown apart, I looked up and you two were unconscious.  That’s when I realized that I had gained all of your emotions and feelings.  I felt everything that the two of you have ever felt; your loneliness, happiness, hope, determination.  It was overwhelming.  That’s when I finally understood you two.   It’s hard for me to explain,” Sasuke said. 

 

Sakura contemplated what he had just said.  Did he really gain my feelings?  All of them?  She felt her heart speed up a bit. 

 

“I felt that both of your pulses were getting weaker, and the only person I knew who would be able to heal you was Tsunade.  So, against my better judgment, I brought you both back here.”

 

Sakura listened to the whole story and she felt her heart flutter a bit.  They really did it.  They were able to get through to Sasuke. 

 

“Sasuke-kun,” Sakura began.  She looked up to him.  “Thank you.  Thank you for saving the two of us.”

 

Sasuke wanted to stop her and tell her that he was thankful for the two of them saving him, but he just couldn’t do it.  Not now, maybe in time, but not now.

 

“So, does that mean you’re here to stay for good, teme?”  Naruto asked, looking at him with wide eyes.

 

Sakura looked over, eager to hear the answer.

 

Sasuke looked at the two of them, at both of their eager faces, and sighed.  Yes, he wanted to leave, yes he wanted to be back out there hunting for Itachi, but a part of him wanted to stay in Konoha.  A part of him wanted to grow stronger with his two old teammates.  After everything that Naruto and Sakura had done for him, there wasn’t any way he could leave them again.  Even though he was screaming inside to say no, he knew he couldn’t.

 

“Seems like it,” Sasuke said and Naruto and Sakura both smiled.

 

Sakura couldn’t hold back the tears that fell down her cheeks. 

 

“Are you okay, Sakura-chan?”  Naruto asked.

 

“Yes, I’m just happy because I’ve been waiting so long to hear Sasuke-kun say that, and now it’s finally happened,” Sakura admitted.  She wiped her tears away with her hand.

 

“Well, we’re going to go and get the vial for you and get your chakra back.  We’ll get teme’s punishment out of the way and restore Team 7 to its original glory,” Naruto said, smiling fully.

 

“Time’s up,” the guard said from down the hall.

 

Sakura didn’t want to leave.  She wanted to stay here and talk with the two of them like old times.  It made her feel safe, like everything was going to be ok.

 

Sakura and Naruto stood up.  Sakura looked at Sasuke.  “I wish we could stay longer, Sasuke-kun.,” Sakura told him.

 

“Criminals don’t get much freedom now do they,” Sasuke said trying to hold in his frown.  Truth was: he didn’t want the two of them to leave either.

 

“Enjoy the tomatoes and we’ll be back again tomorrow,” Sakura said to him.

 

“Yeah, and then the day after that we head out for our mission,” Naruto said.  “Bye teme.”  Naruto then walked ahead of Sakura and down the hall.

 

“Bye Sasuke-kun,” Sakura said.  She watched as he nodded his head and she made her way out.

 

Sasuke watched the two of them go.  Bye dobe.  Bye Sakura.

 

Turning around on his bed, he leaned down and picked up one of the tomatoes that Sakura had given him.  Biting into it, he relished in the juiciness that flowed down his throat.

 

It was just like Sakura to think to bring him something so simple, yet so needed.  The food in prison wasn’t all that great, and he was happy to have some of his favorite food.

 

He thought about the mission that was about to take place.  “We have to succeed.  We need to,” Sasuke said aloud.  And for once, Sasuke was actually thinking of someone else other than himself when he said that statement.

 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

 

Naruto and Sasuke stood at the gates of Konoha ready to take off for the mission.  It was still dark outside, as Tsunade wanted them to leave before the sun rose so that no one would see Sasuke out of prison.  She didn’t want it to cause an up-roar in the community.

 

Sasuke didn’t really like that, but he had expected it.  Most of the villagers were going to shun him for running off.

 

Tsunade stood before them, briefing them again on the details.

 

“Don’t you try to run off, Uchiha,” Tsunade said, looking directly at Sasuke.  She then turned to Naruto.  “And if he does, you’ll have to suffer my wrath when you get back, Naruto.”

 

Naruto turned to Sasuke and gave him a I-will-kill-you-if-you-run-off look.  “Hn,” was all Sasuke said and it seemed to satisfy Naruto.

 

“Remember this is important mission, a very important mission.  Success is a must,” Tsunade told them both.

 

“We know, Tsunade-baa-chan.  We’ll definitely succeed,” Naruto stated.

 

“Alright, then off, both of you,” Tsunade said, and Naruto and Sasuke took off for the trees running at top speed.

 

&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&

 

She watched as Tsunade made her way to the Hokage tower.  As soon as she was out of eyesight, Sakura came out of her hiding place.  Well, one thing about not having chakra is that no one can sense your presence.

 

Sakura pulled her bag up as she began walking to the exit of Konoha. 

 

She was about to walk out when movement stopped her in her tracks.  Slowly turning around she came face to face with Hinata.

 

“Sak-Sakura-chan?” Hinata questioned.

 

“Hinata?!” Sakura said, surprised.  “What are you doing out here this early?”

 

“I wanted to make sure that Naruto-kun left alright.  Wh-what are you doing?”  Hinata asked.

 

“I’m, uh, I’m trying to, I’ve,” Sakura stuttered.  She didn’t know what to say.  How could she cover for herself now?

 

“Are-are you leaving after the tw-two of them?” Hinata asked.

 

Sakura looked like a deer in headlights at that moment.  “No, what makes you think that?”  Sakura said.

 

“You have a pa-pack.  And you were heading toward the exit,” Hinata commented.

 

Sakura was trying to think up a lie, but she just couldn’t do it.  Sakura just decided to tell Hinata the truth.  “Alright, yes, I’m going after them.  I know it’s a stupid idea, but I can’t let the two of them go alone to fix my problem.”

 

“Why-why is it your problem?” Hinata questioned.

 

Sakura completely forgot that Hinata had no idea that she had lost all her chakra.  “Well, the mission where me and Naruto went to get Sasuke-kun back,” Sakura started to say and Hinata nodded her head in understanding.  “I ended up losing all of my chakra.  And now Sasuke-kun and Naruto have gone to retrieve this vial from Orochimaru that will restore my chakra.  See why I can’t let them do this alone.”

 

Hinata nodded her head.  “But-but if you have no chakra, the-then you’re vulnerable to any attacks.  You won’t be able to defe-defend yourself.”

 

“I know that, but I have to go anyway, regardless of what could happen,” Sakura said.

 

“I ca-can’t let you go, Sakura-chan,” Hinata said and Sakura looked at her with sad eyes.  She really won’t let me go?  “At least not without-without me.”

 

Sakura looked up at her.  “No Hinata, it’s too dangerous.”

 

“Sakura-chan, that’s m-my line.  You’re the one wi-with no chakra, remember,”  Hinata said.  “Give m-me a few minutes, and I’ll be rig-right back and ready to go.”

 

Sakura wanted to tell her no, but for some reason she decided to let Hinata go.  It would be good to be with another person, and Hinata was a great fighter.  “Alright Hinata, but hurry,” Sakura said.


Hinata took off in the direction of her house in a hurry.

 

Not even two minutes later, Hinata was running back to Sakura.  “I’m ba-back Sakura-chan, let’s go,” Hinata said.

 

They began to walk out of the village together.  Hinata looked over at Sakura.  “Wit-without any chakra, you’re never goi-going to catch up to them,” Hinata commented.

 

“I know, I thought I would just figure out something,” Sakura said.

 

Hinata went and stood in front of Sakura.  “Get-get on, please, Sakura-chan,” Hinata said.

 

Sakura, realizing what she meant, shook her head.  “No Hinata, I can’t make you carry me.  I’m too heavy and you don’t have enough strength.”

 

“Don’t-don’t underestimate me, Sakura-chan.  I’m stron-stronger than I look,” Hinata said.

 

Sakura didn’t argue any longer.  She climbed onto Hinata’s back and she took off into the trees at an amazing speed. 

 

Sakura was impressed.  Hinata moved as if Sakura wasn’t on her back at all.  “Just let me know whenever you need me to get off,” Sakura said and Hinata nodded her head.

 

As they moved through the trees, Sakura turned around and watched as her village disappeared from her view.  Turning back around, she looked ahead at the path before them.

 

Even though she knew this was probably a horrible decision, for some reason she felt like it was the right one.  She couldn’t leave Naruto and Sasuke to shoulder the entire burden. 

 

I know I can’t help a lot, but I’m going to help as much as I can.

 

Sasuke-kun, Naruto, I’m coming.

 

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&