TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Falling Faster and Faster by _Asharia_

[Reviews - 23]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Wheeeee! And we're getting to the good stuff. ^^ Too bad the chapter ended.

As things fall into place, here's a thought for any readers a bit more curious about the NejiTen story going on. Would it be better if I had their past revealed in this fanfic? Or should I make a new fanfic that revolves around them? *shrugs* I could go either way.

And now for the disclaimer that states I own no Naruto characters whatsoever! ^^ Enjoy chapter 7!
“Seriously? You said all that? When did you get so tough?” Ino sounded amazed.

“Very funny. Glad you’re so happy about all of this,” Sakura remarked sarcastically. She had finally decided to tell her friend about Sasuke. “But now I feel bad. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so mean...”

“Oh, come on, Sakura. You told the guy what he needed to hear. It’s his decision now whether or not to listen.”

“I guess.” She was still unsure, though.

“Listen, Sakura. Don’t go feeling guilty now. Think of it this way: you weren’t saying all that to Sasuke, you were saying it to--”

“Ino!” Ino’s father could be heard in the background. “It’s time to get off the phone.”

“Alright, Dad,” Ino called back. “Sorry, Sakura. I’ve gotta go. We’ll talk later, okay? Remember, we have all weekend to discuss this.”

“Sure. See ya.” She hung up the phone.

Sighing, the very confused Sakura sprawled out on her bed. I know Ino’s right. But what if he really did want to go out with me for... different reasons than everyone else?

She would never admit it, but she would give anything for that to be true. Rolling over to reach under the pillow, she brought out a small picture.

Wow, she thought. How clichéd am I? Keeping this with me...

She remembered that Ino had taken the picture one day during recess back at their old school. Gently stroking the glossy picture paper, Sakura’s vision blurred in and out of focus, barely making out the smiling faces of a happy girl and boy.

Still clutching the photo in her hand, she dozed off and thought of the happier times in her life - times when things actually made sense and she was confident with all the decisions that had been made.

When had her dreamy life turned into a crazy nightmare?

---

Sakura stretched as her alarm clock started ringing. Inside her head, she snarled. I guess I forgot to turn it off last night. Now I’ll never get back to sleep.

Yawning, she sat up in bed and tried to remember the final moments of her dream. It had been nice. Then again, Sasuke was in it. Why wouldn’t she like it? Feeling herself go all mushy, she grabbed a stuffed flower plush that was on the floor and screamed into it.

There’s nothing wrong with venting your feelings.

“That’s enough of that,” she mumbled. “Time for breakfast.”

Dragging her feet along behind her, she stalked down the stairs, careful not to wake her parents. Once she reached the kitchen, she grabbed a strawberry Pop-Tart, dropped it in the toaster, and veered for the couch in front of the living room. Randomly flipping through the channels, she stopped at some cartoons and watched the characters blow each other up with dynamite.

“All those injuries and they’re not dead yet? These shows are getting so unrealistic,” Sakura said as walked back to get a plate and her toasted Pop-Tarts.

Slumping down on the couch once more, she bit into the strawberry filling. Yum.

With a smile on her face, she glanced out the window. It was springtime and the flowers were in full bloom. Sakura loved flowers. Many people thought her mother was the gardener in the family, but they were mistaken. The young teenager had planted everything when they first moved in. It was her way of getting used to it all and making the place feel like home.

Grabbing a light sweater, she stuffed her cell phone into the pocket and walked outside, breathing in the fresh air. She sat down on the porch steps and fingered the petals of a nearby blossom.

“Sakura? Is that you?”

I know that voice, Sakura thought as she lifted her head. “Naruto?” Feeling slightly conscious about what she was currently wearing - her PJ shorts with the sweater over a light pink cami - she turned around to stare at the blonde.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, mildly surprised.

“Wow,” he said. “I didn’t know you lived here. My house is just down the street.” Pointing, Sakura’s eyes followed the direction of his finger to a home not too far from hers. “I was just taking a walk around. Didn’t expect to run into anyone.”

“Well, you did...” Her voice trailed off. “What is it?” Naruto had been staring at her with a strange look on his face.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” he said with a face that clearly stated something was up. “But...”

“But...?”

“Well, did you... did-you-really-say-those-things-to-Sasuke?” The last few words came out at top speed.

Sakura managed a smile. “Depends. Who told you?”

“Sasuke,” Naruto mumbled.

“Then yes, I did.”

He looked at her, amazed. “Really?”

“Why are you so surprised?” Sakura raised an eyebrow.

“Because, no one’s--”

“--ever turned him down. I know, I’ve heard it before,” she said, finishing off his sentence for him. “Why’d he tell you? Is he spreading it around that I’m some sort of bi--”

“No! It’s not that,” Naruto said hurriedly. “I don’t know why he told me, actually. I think he said something about fighting with Neji, but that’s not the point. Sakura, he seemed sad when he told me.”

This last comment made her double over with laughter - and sheer, blissful happiness. “Sad? Please. He doesn’t care. Everyone still loves him.” Wiping away tears of amusement, Sakura straightened up. “Don’t give me that look. Are you positive he was sad?”

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure.”

“Umm...” Out of the entire conversation, she was at a loss for words. He was sad? He was really, really sad?? “So... what else did he say, exactly?”

Funny how hopes could just rise up like that...

Naruto scratched his nose and grinned sheepishly. “Well, actually, I wasn’t really paying attention.”

...and then crash back down.

“Oh, hold on,” she said as she heard her cell phone start ringing. Standing up, she dug into her pocket and retrieved the device. Sakura’s eyes peeked at the screen too late. Before she could stop herself, her hand had automatically pressed the talk button.

Damn it! She cursed mentally, for the number was not unfamiliar to her - quite the opposite, really. It was a number that she never wanted to answer again, not after that restricted call which was placed just a few nights ago.

Too bad this call was already answered. Why she couldn't hang up, though, she didn't know.

“Hey, Sakura. What’s up?” a male voice said over the phone.

Smiling, Sakura held up a finger that told Naruto the call would only take a second. Holding the smile until her back was to the spiky-haired blonde, she snapped into the phone, “Why are you calling me?”

“What? You don’t want to talk to me anymore?”

“As a matter of fact, I don’t,” she hissed. “So just go screw whatsherface and leave me alone!”

“Oh, so you didn’t hear?” he said. “That’s over and done with.”

I heard alright, I just didn’t believe you’d break up with her after all the crap that happened... “The news has reached me, and after your first call at the beginning of the week, you should already be aware that I don’t give a damn.”

“Okay, okay. I get it. But you’ll soften up sometime. You know you will.”

He was almost as arrogant and cocky as Sasuke, with almost the same amount of expertise in womanizing. Almost. It would take a lot more before--

“I miss you, you realize that, right?”

Screw, Sasuke. He was better than this ass any day.

“I really hope this is the last time I ever speak to you again. Goodbye, Zaku.”

Still seething, Sakura turned around to face the still-waiting Naruto. Her head tilted when her eyes met his. Now what’s wrong with him? she thought quizzically.

“Zaku... Is that why you won’t go out with Sasuke? Man, I guess every girl has been single when he asked. Maybe that’s why he’s never been turned down... Unless all the girls in our school are cheaters, but then again...”

Desperate to get the kid to stop rambling, the mind behind the green eyes decided it wouldn’t hurt to tell him just a little bit of information. All that she had to do was get him to stop talking. “Naruto. Shut up.”

His mouth snapped shut and he looked at her.

“That’s not why I said no, although he is a big influence...” she continued, debating whether or not to go on.

Apparently, Naruto made the decision for her. He stared at her with bright, blue, innocent eyes. How could you deny that?

Sitting back down on the porch steps, Sakura motioned for him to come over and sit next to her. “This is gonna be a long story, if you’re willing to listen.”

Naruto sat down and nodded. “I’ll listen, if you’re sure you want to tell me.”

She smiled. Maybe he wasn’t as annoying as she first thought; in fact, she just might have gained a friend within a few minutes.

“Why not. It’ll be good to tell someone about this. Well, I guess you have to know who Zaku is, don’t you?” Sakura adopted a pensive look on her face as she traveled back to the past.

“Zaku was my old boyfriend.”