TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Chain Reaction by Aysha

[Reviews - 17]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Warnings: Drunk women, true gentlemen, and bad language.
Sakura sat with her head in her arms atop the bar’s polished surface. She’d set about drowning her woes in alcohol, but she’d never been a heavy drinker and after three Konoha Kickers (picture long island ice tea with Rumplemintz instead of Triple Sec) she was feeling ill and her head was spinning.

“It’s all right Sakura, everything will work out, you’ll see,” soothed Ino, rubbing her friend’s back. Empty words. Ino was sincerely trying to make her feel better, she knew, but the blonde kunoichi wasn’t really helping much. The news hadn’t hit Ino nearly as hard. She’d had the good sense to give up on Sasuke years ago. Sakura dearly wished she’d done the same. She wouldn’t be drunk and depressed right now.

How could she not have noticed? All this time and Sasuke had been about as straight as a willow in a high wind. And she hadn’t noticed. It wasn’t as if the signs weren’t there, obvious to anyone who cared to look. He never looked at any of the women who pursued him. The one person who could get any kind of reaction, positive or negative out of him was his MALE rival/teammate. How could she have been so blind?

Because she hadn’t wanted to see. She had been so determined to live in her little fantasy world that she had refused to see the reality of the situation. She had set herself up for this pain, she knew. It was no one’s fault but her own.




Ino continued to rub Sakura’s slender back in her most comforting manner, murmuring words of condolence and trying to look sad for her friend. In truth she was ecstatic. She’d been waiting for this to happen for years. Of course, she had figured out Sasuke was gay ages ago and given up, but she had never had the heart to tell Sakura that fact. She wasn’t even sure the pink-haired shinobi would have believed her anyway.

But ever since she had given up her obsession with Sasuke she’d quickly acquired a new crush. Once her vision had become Uchiha-free Ino had come to realize how beautiful and sweet her best friend really was. And Sakura was a much more attainable goal than Sasuke.

Ino wasn’t cruel enough to actively ambush the other kunoichi’s efforts to win the Uchiha heirs affections once they were no longer in competition. Besides she knew it was doomed to failure. Eventually, Sakura would see the light, her dreams would shatter and Ino would be there to pick up the pieces. All she had to do was wait. So she had, very patiently, let it be added. And now the day she’d anticipated for so long was here!

Now all she had to do was help Sakura over the pain of rejection and then make her see what a wonderful, caring and beautiful best friend she had. And if the pink-haired woman had objections to being with another female, well, Ino could wear her down into trying it out, and once she’d had her way with Sakura once the other girl wouldn’t want her to stop.




“…And they weren’t dueling, they were making out!” finished Temari with a laugh, after regaling her brothers with the tale of last night’s events. Rock Lee’s ears burned where he was sitting a few feet away. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing! Sasuke and Naruto were paired? And Sakura had witnessed this? Oh, how his beloved must ache right now!

He stood quickly, not bothering to listen to Kankuro’s response to his sister’s story. He had to find Sakura! She would need someone to comfort her, a friendly shoulder to cry on. Lee was determined to be that shoulder. He knew his beloved Sakura didn’t return his affections, and that the loss of Sasuke probably wouldn’t change that. But none of those facts changed his intense feelings for the woman. He would do anything he could to help Sakura, even if that meant being ‘just friends’ for the rest of their lives.




Sakura hiccupped and sniffled a little. She was surprised she hadn’t cried yet. She wanted to, gods knew she did. But they wouldn’t come. It was like the pain in her chest was too great even for tears to express it. Ino continued to try to sooth her. Sakura appreciated her efforts, but her presence kept reminding her what an idiot she was. Ino had realized what was up long ago. That was obvious now. Sakura felt like a stupid little girl next to her blonde friend. She wished she would just go away and leave her to her misery. Maybe if she was alone she could cry it all out. It was probably her pride that wouldn’t let her shed those tears. She wished Ino would quit rubbing her back. She knew the other woman was trying to help, but the rocking motion was making her feel queasy.

“Sakura-san!” cried a familiar voice from nearby. She lifted her spinning head but her eyes registered nothing but a green blur.




Ino looked up at the cry of Sakura’s name and glared at Lee, hoping he would get the message and go away. The last thing she needed was interference from the love-sick taijutsu master. But Lee wasn’t paying any attention to her whatsoever. His large, dark eyes were glued exclusively to Sakura. He slid into the seat next to Sakura as she slowly raised her head and peered at him blearily.

“Sakura-san, I am so sorry,” he said earnestly. Ino rolled her eyes.

“Lee, now isn’t a good time…” she began, trying to chase him away.

“No, s’okay, Eenooo,” slurred Sakura. “Leees jus tryin ta…ta…” she paused and swayed a bit, then leaned over and vomited right on Lee’s feet. He winced slightly, but to his credit he didn’t freak out. He calmly reached forward and gathered Sakura’s pink hair up to keep it out of her face and out of the mess, and patiently waited for her to finish. She spewed and dry heaved for a few minutes, then finally raised her head above the bar again. Ino was feeling a bit ill just from the sight and smell, but she was determined that if Lee could handle it so could she.

“I think it would be best if Ino took you home now,” suggested the young man gently.

Now you’re talking, bushy-brows!’ thought Ino triumphantly. Thank goodness Lee was a gentleman.

Sakura stared at him for a second, then her lip began to tremble and her eyes crinkled up. The next moment she had flung herself against his strong chest and was bawling hysterically on his broad shoulder.

“Oh, L-lee! ‘M ssso s-stupid! C-can’t b-believe S-sasukes g-gay!” she wailed between sobs.

A surge of irrational jealousy welled up in Ino’s chest as she watched Lee gently pat Sakura’s back, but it died as she saw his lip begin to tremble as well and tears begin to rim his dark eyes. Gods, he loved Sakura so much he felt her pain as deeply as she did. Ino suddenly felt small and unworthy, and deeply ashamed that she had ever been happy Sasuke had broken Sakura’s heart.

Ino rose and patted Sakura on the head one last time.

“You should take her home Lee,” she said.

“I am not sure that is a good idea, Ino” he replied hesitantly. Such a gentleman!

“Sure it is. She would want you to. And she could be in no better company.” She gave him a reassuring smile and walked away.

Ino wasn’t blind or stupid. If she was, she would be in the same position as Sakura was right now. No, Ino could see when she was beaten, knew when she didn’t have a chance and was wise enough to know when to give up.




Lee wasn’t sure he agreed with Ino on the matter of taking Sakura home but as the blonde kunoichi retreated he saw no other option. So he waited for Sakura to calm down a bit and once again suggested that it was time for her to go home. She agreed with a mute nod against his neck. He helped her up but quickly found she was unable to stand by herself for more than a few seconds. He scooped her up and carried her instead. On the way to her apartment, instead of crossing the bridge he waded thru the shallow river, using the opportunity to wash off his feet so he wouldn’t track sick into her apartment.

Once they reached her place he managed to shimmy open the door without dropping his beautiful burden and carried her inside. He lay the groaning woman on her bed then fetched a wet cloth and glass of water, cleaned the remaining sick from her face and coaxed her to drink the water, knowing it would help with her hangover the next day if she re-hydrated a bit now. He took off her shoes and laid a blanket over her, then bid her softly good-night.

“W-wait!” Sakura’s hand shot out and her fingers latched onto the front of his shirt, pulling him back down onto the bed. “Don’ leaf Leee,” she muttered. “Stay wif me, peassse.”

“That is not a good idea, Sakura-san,” said Lee nervously.

“No, don’ goooo!” She clawed her way up his chest and locked her arms around his neck. “Don’ leaf me alone! Promiz!”

“But, Sakura-san,” he protested.

“PROMIZ!” her shout nearly took out his right eardrum and her arms tightened, threatening to cut off his breathing.

“Okay, okay! I promise, Sakura-san!” he gasped in a strangled voice.

“Good,” she sighed, relaxing enough to allow him to breath again.

Lee leaned against the wall, Sakura draped against his chest, her forehead pressed against the side of his neck. He was relieved that she didn’t try to get any friendlier than this. He desperately wanted her affection, but not when she was dead-drunk. After a while she dropped into a fretful sleep and he was able to shift her to a lying position again and disentangle her arms. He went to sprawl on the couch, kicking off his wet shoes. He’d promised he would stay, but he hadn’t said anything about staying in her bed. He was far too much of a gentleman to feel comfortable in that situation.




Sakura woke the next morning to a painful, rhythmic throbbing in her head. It felt like a very large man was trapped inside her skull and was trying to pound his way out with a very large steel hammer. Her body ached, she was excruciatingly thirsty, her eyes were scratchy, puffy and blurred and her mouth tasted absolutely foul. She groaned softly and slowly, very slowly levered herself into a sitting position. Every motion sent new waves of agony cascading across her brain. As she shuffled slowly to the bathroom, she vowed silently that she would never-ever-ever-ever-ever drink herself stupid again. She emptied her bladder, which was a huge relief. It was so full she was surprised she hadn’t pissed herself in her sleep. It would have served her right for acting like a fool. She couldn’t even remember how she’d gotten home. She didn’t remember a thing past the second Konoha Kicker.

At the thought of the minty drink a wave of nausea swept through her and she fell to her knees to retch into the toilet, thankful she had already flushed. ‘Praying to the porcelain god,’ she thought and would have chuckled if bile hadn’t been rushing in a burning stream from her throat.

A pair of warm hands swept her hair back from her face and she felt briefly startled, but couldn’t lift her head to see who it was just yet. ‘Probably Ino,’ she thought, remembering that the blonde kunoichi had been with her last night. While she heaved and coughed the nimble fingers efficiently tied her hair back, then she heard the tap turn and water run briefly into a vessel. Her medicine cabinet clicked open and there was a rattle of pills. When she finally felt she could remove her face from the white bowl without danger of puking on the floor she raised her head to see her benefactor crouched next to her, offering her a tall glass of water with one hand and a pair of painkiller tablets with the other.

“Lee?” she croaked, rubbing her gritty eyes.

“Take this asprin, Sakura-san,” he said softly, as though aware that loud noises hurt at the moment. “And drink as much water as you can, then go back to bed.” That sounded like excellent advice, so she took the proffered items and swallowed them, draining the entire glass. Lee continued to refill the glass until her raging thirst abated, then supported her back to her bed and tucked her gently in.

“Did you bring me home last night, Lee?” she asked as she settled in, her voice grating harshly through her raw throat. He nodded solemnly. “Thanks,” she murmured as her heavy eyes closed again.

“You are very welcome Sakura-san. It was no problem at all,” he replied, gently stroking her fringe back from her face. As she drifted off she felt warm lips press to her forehead and thought she heard him whisper, “I would do anything for you, Sakura-san.” But it could have been a dream.




“Did I really hurl on his feet?” groaned Sakura. Ino chuckled a bit cruelly.

“Yep, and he just held your hair back and let you do it.” They were sitting in the teahouse sipping steaming mugs of chamomile tea. Sakura’s eyes were still a bit puffy and she had dark rings under them, but she seemed not to be too worse for wear.

“Why’d you let him take me home anyway?” asked Sakura curiously.

“Well you were crying all over his shoulder, something you didn’t seem inclined to do with me, so I figured you would prefer his company. Besides it would have been awkward, two of us trying to manhandle you into your apartment.” Ino was still feeling a bit put out by Sakura’s choice of Lee’s shoulder over hers and allowed it to show.

“Sorry Ino,” sighed Sakura. “Truth is you made me feel kind of dumb last night. Not that I didn’t deserve it, mind.”

“What? How’d I do that? I never did anything to make you feel stupid!” replied Ino indignantly.

“Not anything you did, just being there,” corrected Sakura hastily. “I mean, you had the smarts to leave Sasuke well enough alone years ago…”

“Oh,” said Ino, mollified. “Well, it just shows how much more strongly you felt about him, that’s all.”

“Or how much more stubborn and foolish I was,” retaliated Sakura with a touch of humor. Ino was glad that her pink-haired friend was able to laugh about it even a little bit. They sipped their tea quietly for a few minutes. “How did you know Lee wouldn’t…do anything,” asked Sakura after a while.

“Oh please, there isn’t a guy that’s politer or more respectful that Lee in all of Konoha. He’s the absolute last person who would take advantage of a drunk woman.” She hesitated a moment then added quickly, “No matter how much he wants to be with her.”

Sakura favored her with a level stare. “Just what are you trying to say?”

“Oh, come on, Sakura. Lee is one of the sweetest people I know, and he loves you so damn much it’s almost painful to watch. So what if his eyebrows are thick. You could always get him to wax them or something.” Sakura choked on her tea. “Now that Sasuke is definitely out of the picture, why don’t you give Lee a chance? You could do a hell of a lot worse.”

Ino left it at that, knowing if she pushed the issue Sakura would dig in her heels. That was just the sort of stubborn person she was. The pink-haired woman stared absently out the window as she considered this.

“Yeah, I think I will,” said Sakura finally.

I hope you appreciate this bushy-brows,’ Ino thought. ‘She could have been mine.’