TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


True Hyuuga Genius by Nightblade888

[Reviews - 10]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: (A/N: There’s chapter 10! I promise that the next chapter will have the new and improved exams. What I really hope though, is that I explained my reasoning for having team seven in the exams, even though they obviously aren’t ready for it. Trust me, they will factor in to the exam, but their role in the overall plot of it is kind of limited.

As you know by now, this is becoming rather abusive to Sasuke and Sakura, well mostly Sasuke. Anyway, I have a question to pose to you, my loyal readers. Which would be most embarrassing to Sasuke’s ego?

1) Looses to Haran in the second exam?
2) Looses to Haran in the third exam?
3) Looses to Gaara in the third exam?
4) Looses to Gaara in the second round?

This isn’t really a poll, I have the plot of the exams more or less mapped out, and I just wanted to see what you think on the issue. Personally, I think it would be 3, especially if Gaara took an arm and/or a leg, making his dream of killing Itachi impossible to obtain, but that’s just me. I suppose it would be just as bad if he lost to Haran in the second round.

Thank you to everyone who has reviewed already, I appreciate your comments a lot, and I hope to hear from all of you for this chapter as well.)
Team eight took the week before team seven returned easy. Well, it wasn’t easy for most teams, but it was easy for them. Haran and Hinata had driven themselves into the ground in an attempt to gain control over their chakra nature. The concept required much more concentration than any other technique that they had been taught, and not surprisingly, it was beginning to annoy the younger of the two. He hadn’t been able to show anything that could be considered control over lightning, his primary element, or wind, his secondary element. Every time that he would fail, he would have to take some time off and attack an innocent tree.

Hinata had shown a bit more control, but for the most part, the technique eluded both of them. Where Hinata had shown more potential, was her water element. When she was standing on top of the water she could feel some kind of control over the liquid, but not enough to be considered dangerous, or even proficient.

Neither twin had seen much of their third teammate, but they knew that Shino was probably doing something with his clan. The Aburame clan was extremely formal, though not as rigid as the Hyuuga. Kurenai was currently meeting with the Hokage, along with almost every other ninja above the rank of genin.

“As you are well aware, the Chuunin selection exam is being held here, starting Wednesday. We have a number of younger teams that have the opportunity to be nominated for the exam, but it is up to the discretion of their senseis. I will open the floor to nominations at this time.” The Hokage was addressing the nearly three hundred ninja that had assembled in the woods.

“Yosh! I, Maito Gai, nominate my team, Hyuuga Neji, Rock Lee, and Tenten, for the upcoming exam.” Gai was a tall man, with thick black hair that he had sculpted into a ‘fashionable’ bowl cut. His most distinguishing features, however, were his trademark green spandex, as well as his overly large eyebrows. More than one person had compared them to very fat caterpillars, or even rug that had been hot glued on his head instead of the floor.

“Sarutobi Asuma nominates Team 10, Akimichi Chouji, Inuzuka Kiba, and Nara Shikamaru.” Asuma had his usual cigarette between his teeth, and he let out a large puff of smoke after every name he listed off.

“Yuhi Kurenai and I’m nominating Aburame Shino, Hyuuga Ha-Hinata, and Uzumaki Naruto.” Kurenai had become so accustomed to referring to her student by his true name that, she almost spoke his name, but was able to catch herself before it was obvious that she made a mistake. Of course, a few of the more alert ninja caught the hang up, and wondered what was going on with the young jounin.

Two of the three rookie teams had been nominated for the exam, all eyes not turned to Kakashi, who was reading his usual book.

“What?” The scarecrow asked without looking up. Many, many people sweat dropped, they had been expecting him to nominate his team.

“Well, are you nominating them or not?” An anonymous voice chimed out from the crowd.

“Hmm…” Kakashi took a long and dramatic pause, before returning his attention back to his book. “Nah, they aren’t ready yet.”

At this the Hokage sighed. He really didn’t want to do what he must, but it was necessary.

“I’m afraid that for the first time in our history, I must allow team seven to participate, even though they do not have the endorsement of their jounin sensei.”

This drew a look of shock from the majority of the gathered shinobi, and more than a few had broken out in cries of bewilderment.

“QUIET! I have no other recourse, due to the fascination that my former student, Orochimaru, has for the sharingan. Even though Sasuke hasn’t awoken his blood limit yet, Orochimaru will stop at nothing to obtain Sasuke. By forcing his team to participate in the exam, I am gambling on the fact that the large number of ninja, from the genin participants, to the various instructors, will hopefully deter my student. If he were not entered in the tournament, than we would have no way to protect him without leaving a guard, something that Orochimaru would easily spot. Due to Kakashi’s lack of endorsement, none of the team is eligible for promotion, but they shall undergo the tests, as far as they can. With any luck, they will make it as far as the second exam, and even if they fail there, we should be able to keep a security detail around Sasuke without raising his suspicions.”

The chorus of voices slowly died down at the conclusion of the professors speech, no one being able to deny the facts laid before them, though many were skeptical that the security would be enough to deter the former sannin. With a wave of his arm, Sarutobi dismissed the assembled mass, and waited for the question that would undoubtedly come from the famed copy ninja.

“I understand that you are trying to guard the boy, Hokage-sama, but how can you assure my team’s safety in the forest of death? It is too large to be surveyed by one person, or even a team of people, and you said yourself that a shadow team would be spotted by Orochimaru, I don’t see how you could risk the lives of three genin so carelessly.” The normally lazy jounin’s voice was a bit weathered, sounding tired and haggard.

“This is not something that I would do under any other circumstance, but one of my other students has sent me word that Orochimaru has joined forces with Suna, and may make a move during the exam. As for how I plan on securing the safety of your team, I will amend the usual test to fit our needs. You needn’t worry about this; I will be making the exams much harder, making the number of entrants moving on after the first round, much less than normal. You have said that Sasuke’s ambition is too large for him to admit defeat, so the first test wouldn’t be a problem for him anyway. This time, it will be much more difficult to pass. Hopefully it will limit the number of passing ninja enough so that we may safely control his movements.” The Hokage also sounded tired, as if this was a decision he had lost much sleep over. Kakashi could only nod his head, before he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kurenai had called a meeting for her team, a meeting that she made sure they knew they could ill afford to miss. As usual, Hinata and Haran arrived together, with Shino not far behind. The only unusual thing was that the twins seemed to be arguing over something, but when they drew close enough, they stopped bickering.

“Well, I nominated you three for the chuunin exams that are coming up, to participate you need to fill out these forms, and turn them into room 331, inside the academy building, by noon Thursday, or you won’t be allowed to enter.” She stopped there purposefully, to see if her team would probe for more information as to the exam itself, or to the other participants.

“So who else is participating?” Haran was the one who spoke up first, true to the mask he would be once more forced to don.

“Maito Gai’s team will be entering, he held them out of the exam a year, unlike you guys, so they will be more experienced than the rookie group, and as much as it creeps me out to say it, they are probably better trained than many, if not most of the entering ninja. Sarutobi Asuma nominated his team, and I nominated you guys obviously.”

“But team seven wasn’t nominated?” Hinata asked, trying to piece together a picture of the competition.

“Yes, but do to some unusual circumstances, they will be participating.” Kurenai filled in a blank for her team, once more testing their ability to gather data for their upcoming ‘mission’.

For a moment, all was quiet as the three junior ninja thought over the information they had gathered. This was a training exercise that Kurenai had them practice over and over, trying to piece together a puzzle from sparse clues and words laced with propaganda and innuendo.

“Team seven is being allowed to participate for the same reasons that they were given the C-rank mission to wave country. The council is favoring Uchiha-san again, and forcing Kakashi to allow his team to enter, despite their lack of teamwork.” Shino was the one who broke the silence, venturing his theory.

“Close, but not the entire truth, this time, the reason for their entry is far less self serving.” Kurenai hoped to keep her team guessing as long as possible, something that was very difficult to do, with someone as sharp as Shino and the twins on her team.

“Well, the only other person with the authority to forcefully enter a team is the Hokage, if it’s not the council, but why would Hokage-sama do something like that? It isn’t for the exposure of the village…and I’d assume that he trusts Hatake-san, so it can’t be to spite him. He’s doing it to…show Sasuke how weak he really is?” Haran’s answer was weaker than his explanation, but he just couldn’t think of better at this time.

“Ooh, once again close, but not quite. It is Hokage-sama that ordered them be entered, but he has no agenda for ‘teaching Sasuke how weak he is’, as you so eloquently put it.”

Hinata had a look of concentration on her face as she set her mind to work on this puzzle; it was much more difficult and elaborate than any they had been tested on before.

“Hokage-sama entered them…and if they are entered, they are going to be evaluated…no that not it. Without the approval of their sensei, none of the members can be promoted, so what’s the point?”

The three once more went off into deep thought, before something clicked in Haran’s head.

“If they can’t be promoted, because their sensei doesn’t have faith in their skills, than they obviously don’t have the skills necessary to obtain the rank anyway, so the evaluation…it isn’t an evaluation! He’s watching the team by using the proctors in the exam! It’s a close range shadow of team seven, under the guise of the exam! But I still can’t figure out why Hokage-sama would risk their lives in the exam just to have some high level shinobi baby sit.”

Kurenai smiled, they were almost there!

“If he needs high level ninja to ‘baby sit’, than whoever is supposed to be after team seven, must be a high level shinobi also.” Shino put his two cents in.

“Orochimaru!” Hinata’s voice became rather small when she uttered the snake sannin’s name. “He’s supposedly after the sharingan, so if Hokage-sama knew that he was going to make a move during the chuunin exam…he would move Sasuke into an environment where he could control and protect him, instead of leaving him alone!”

Kurenai just nodded. On the one hand, she was extremely proud of her team, they had been able to figure out the details of the situation that many fully grown shinobi had been unable to, but on the other hand, she was worried. It was an almost certainty that Orochimaru would use the chuunin exams to make his move, and her team was going to be in the middle of it.

“That’s right.” Kurenai smiled at her team, they deserved it, it was something that probably should have remained within the ranks of the higher up ninja, but she felt her team needed to know what they were getting into. “Now, I want you to understand a few things about this exam. First of all, people will die in the course of the test, this is unavoidable. Secondly, if Orochimaru really is going to make his move, than the chance that people will die goes up exponentially. He will kill anyone he can, just to get close enough to Sasuke-san, so avoid team seven as much as possible. Normally, the second part of the exam would be where the risk of death is greatest, but Hokage-sama is making some changes to the test this year, in an attempt to week out more people, so even if you are forced to quit early on, do not feel bad. Finally, if I find out that any of you died in the exam, I’ll reanimate you and kill you myself!” The joke at the end had the desired result of snapping the team out of its deep thinking mode.

“Now I’m ordering you guys to take the next day easy! That goes doubly for you two, I know you want to learn chakra nature manipulation, but take a day off! Get packed well before hand, and arrive on time! I cannot say that enough, if you’re late, no matter how much whining you do, they won’t let you in! Have a good day off, and I’ll see you all before you go in for the exam.” Kurenai’s words lessened the heavy mood a good deal, and Haran found it comical about how anal she was when it came to punctuality. They their teacher good bye, and headed off to do whatever they were doing before this meeting.

As she watched, Kurenai noticed that Haran and Hinata picked up their previous argument exactly where they left off. She laughed at how comfortable the two were around each other, despite the years they had spent apart. She would have to ask what they were arguing over later. As she left the area, she caught Hinata finally loose her cool and strike her brother in the stomach, resulting in the shadow clone being dispelled in a poof of smoke. Deciding that she really wanted to know what was going on now, Kurenai approached close enough to hear Hinata mumble:

“Stupid clone, why couldn’t he teach me the stupid technique?” She was talking to herself now. “‘You don’t have enough chakra’ Blah! I’ll give his enough chakra; I’ll give it to him right in the gut! I think he’s just jealous because I got farther in nature manipulation than he has!” She walked off, muttering under her breath about upstart younger brothers who don’t know when not to keep secrets from their older sisters.

For some reason, this settled Kurenai’s nerves more than the talk she had given her team earlier. If they could take the information that had received, take it in stride and move on with their lives, than they were more than ready for the responsibilities of a chuunin.