TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Kunoichi At Heart by Chloryl

[Reviews - 28]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

“What a drag, you’re a wind type.” Shikamaru looked over your shoulder curiously and folded his arms.

“How do you know?”

He sighed and touched the centre where the paper had split in two with his index finger. “Can’t you see that your chakra ripped through this paper without you having to lift a finger? That indicates that your chakra has a wind affinity.”

Asuma grimaced. “Shikamaru’s right. I was worried something like this might happen.”

“Worried…sensei?” you echoed apprehensively, feeling thoroughly worried yourself at his tone and words.

“Oh it’s nothing to worry about,” he corrected himself hastily. “It’s just that Konohagakure doesn’t have that many Wind Release users, so you’ll have difficulty finding a good mentor. I myself have the same affinity, but unfortunately these three need training as well. You will need the full attention of a fuuton sensei, which I won’t be able to provide.”

Your eyes widened. “If it’s a problem, I’ll be happy to learn something different –”

“Don’t worry about it. There’s one village that specializes in the skill of wind techniques, and there’ll be plenty of shinobi who can teach you fuuton there…”

Shikamaru’s eyes widened as well. “Don’t tell me you’re sending her to…”

“Yes indeed. The hidden shinobi village in the Land of Wind – Sunagakure.”

-:-

“But we just became a team!” Ino was wailing, clutching your arm and digging her sharp fingernails into your skin. You winced. “You can’t just leave us like this!”

“It’s not like I have a choice,” you reminded her, trying to shake her off, but her talons refused to dislodge and you hoped desperately that she wouldn’t leave permanent marks.

“But Asuma-sensei just assigned our first mission!” she cried, tightening her grip.

“Ow!” you protested, giving her a reproachful glare and rubbing your sore arm. “You’ll do fine. Missions are supposed to be carried out in squads of four anyways.”

“But you’re leaving me behind with those two!” she whined, her blue eyes filling with annoyance.

“They’re your teammates too.”

“But you’re my teammate too!”

You gave Shikamaru and Chouji a pleading glance.

“Ino, you’re being troublesome,” Shikamaru sighed. “Just drop it.”

“She’ll be back in a couple of months, and by then, we’ll all have learned lots of new techniques to show each other,” Chouji supplied, grinning.

Ino growled under her breath, and Asuma placed a hand on her shoulder. “[Name] will be home in time for the Chuunin exams, so think positive. You should work on honing your skills until then.”

“Fine,” she grumbled, crossing her arms. You were glad that she let the argument go once the sensei got involved. “Hmph, see you in a couple of months, [Name].”

“Yeah, see you guys!” you called, slinging your pack over your shoulder and heading towards your escorts standing just outside of Konoha’s gates.

“Good morning,” you greeted them politely, startled to find yourself face to face with the members of Team Gai.

“Good morning [Last Name]-san. We are escorting you to the Hidden Sand, yes?” An enthusiastic green-clad ninja you recognized as Lee stepped forwards and held out his hand. You shook it warily.

“My name is Rock Lee. You must be [Last Name] [First Name]. [Name]-chan…will you be my girlfriend? I’ll protect you with my life!”

“I…I –” you spluttered, completely taken aback by his forwardness.

“Not this again,” Tenten grumbled, boxing Lee around the ear. “Stop it Lee, can’t you see you’re making her uncomfortable?”

You grinned weakly and Tenten grinned back.

“Anyways, ignore him. Hi, [Name], I’m Tenten, and that person over there is Neji.” She pointed to Neji who stood apart from the rest of the team, looking faintly disgruntled at the sudden attention.

“Nice to meet you,” you said, shaking her hand.

“You’re a rookie genin, aren’t you?” she asked curiously, her warm brown eyes inquisitive. You gave a small nod.

That must be strange, leaving the village as soon as you’ve gotten on a team.”

You shrugged. “I suppose.”

“Sounds like fun, though,” she said enviously. “I’ve never met anyone that got special treatment like this before.”

“Special treatment?” you echoed, bewildered. Gai and Lee began to make their way out of the village, and you and Tenten hurried to follow.

“Yeah, I never heard of someone leaving the village to study in another at such a young age. You must be really talented,” she decided.

You blinked. “O-oh no. I found out that I was a wind type just today, actually.”

She waggled a finger at you, her eyes mischievous. “Well then, that just means we don’t know the full extent of your abilities. I wish you the best of luck.”

You just gaped at her.

As you continued on your way to Suna in the company of Team Gai, you got to know the genin members better. Tenten was cheerful, easygoing, and easy to get along with. You found that she had a fascination with weaponry, having trained for over a year in the skill of bukijutsu. Neji didn’t talk much, preferring to keep to himself, but the combined enthusiasm of Tenten and Lee were more than enough to keep you occupied.

“It takes at least two days to get to the Sand Village at the rate we’re travelling,” Tenten commented after a while, her eyes fixed on the sky. “That means we’ll have to make camp soon. It’s getting dark.”

Two hours later, you were sitting next to a crackling fire, feeling warm and cozy. Team 9 was discussing the mission at hand, and you listened quietly, your eyelids growing heavy.

“I’ll keep watch first,” Neji said, standing up.

Tenten yawned and stretched. “I’ll take over after you. Wake me when you feel like switching, all right?”

“I could, um,” you said awkwardly, “…I could keep watch after Tenten.”

Neji and Lee turned, staring at you as if you had suggested something ridiculous.

“No, [Name], it would be better if you didn’t, as that defeats the whole purpose,” Gai said gently. “The whole reason we’re here is to be your escorts and guards, after all.”

You blinked. Over the past day, you had felt as if you were part of the mission that you had almost forgotten that you were the subject of it. “Oh, right.” You followed Tenten into the tent and slipped into the sleeping bag that Lee had prepared. You fell asleep as soon as your head hit the ground.

-:-

Early the next morning, your group set off once again. You could tell that you were nearing the border of the Land of Fire due to the change in climate and landscape. You supposed, based off of the map, that you were about to enter the Land of Rivers, but it was hard to tell. Indeed, the forests were becoming sparse, and the weather less pleasant.

“This is the Land of Rivers,” Gai noted, as if he could tell what you were thinking. “Keep on the lookout for bandits and thieves, Neji.”

He gave a stiff nod. “Got it.”

The passage through the land and well into the Land if Wind was long and wearisome, but uneventful, much to your relief. Your escorts were well-equipped for missions like these, and Neji’s Byakugan allowed him to scout ahead, finding the hidden village with ease.

The team was confronted with a squad of Suna-nin on border patrol, but it turned out Gai had an official document from the Hokage. The squad inspected it, checked for forgery, then send Team 9 along their way. They would accompany you to the Sand Village, they promised.

A familiar-looking woman who had introduced herself as Temari greeted you at the gates of Sunagakure. By the Kazekage’s orders, she told you, she was to be your guide, sensei, and chaperone.

“I hear you’re here to learn the art of Wind Release,” she said, a manic gleam in her dark teal eyes. “Well, you’ve come to the right place.”

The she opened up the giant iron fan she carried on her back and released a torrent of deadly-looking chakra-infused wind that send you cowering behind a sand pillar. That one effortless swipe gouged deep gashes in the road and nearby structures which you swore were rock-solid.

“Oh, that’s nothing,” she laughed dispassionately. “By the time I’m done with you, you’ll be able to behead people, cleave through metal, and destroy just about anything.”

You gulped audibly and begged her not to demonstrate any more.

“Um…Temari-sensei –” you began, but she cut you off.

“Lay off the honorific,” she said teasingly. “I’m not that much older than you, am I? You’re what, twelve?”

You nodded hesitantly, and she grinned. “Liking Sunagakure so far?”

“The geography is very different,” you said admiringly, your eyes falling upon the spheroid roofs. “Suna is beautiful.”

After passing through a narrow lane, Temari led you to a cluster of circularly sculpted buildings.

“Here we are,” Temari announced, spreading her arms. “Your living quarters.”

You raised an eyebrow, thrown off by her formality.

“My house,” she replied, answering your unspoken question. She placed a hand on the doorknob and turned it slowly. “It’s time for you…to meet my brothers.”

Go to Chapter 96.