TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


The Guardian by SGTBrowncoat

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Two

Itachi was awake in the dark, pre-dawn hours. He dressed in his ANBU uniform, still brand new, and pulled his mask down over his face. He picked up the backpack he had prepared the night before and slung it over his shoulder before leaving the Uchiha Compound and heading for the village's main gate. It was quite a while before Kakashi arrived, but Itachi knew better than to comment on his lateness.

"Good morning, Sempai."

Kakashi gave a nod, "Let's get moving. I'll explain the mission enroute."

The road was quiet, as was to be expected so early in the morning.

"Our mission is to establish surveillance on a suspected traitor and determine if our intel is good. If it is, we eliminate him." Kakashi explained.

"Who is the target?" asked Itachi.

"A former Leaf Jonin called Isao. He went rogue about six months ago, killing another Jonin in the process. Now we have reason to believe he is selling military secrets to enemies. The Intelligence Division thinks he'll be making an appearance at a hot spring resort on the northern border of the Land of Rivers."

It was normally at least a two day journey to the border, but the two ANBU operatives were traveling light and fast, and made it in just over twenty-four hours. It was an almost completely silent journey; neither Itachi nor Kakashi were much for talking. They set up their observation point near the hot spring the Intelligence Division's report had indicated, and began their surveillance. The morning of the second day, they spotted their target. He appeared to be alone.

"Intel thinks he'll be meeting with operatives in Kusa and Taki, minor villages trying to boost their military capabilities. They won't be in uniform, so keep your eyes open." Kakashi instructed.

Another three days dragged on without change. It was tedious, uncomfortable work, but Itachi stayed vigilant.

Kakashi broke the silence, "You have a lot of patience for a kid your age. Kind of surprising."

"…Thank you."

"That being said, I think you're way too young for ANBU." Kakashi said bluntly.

"You joined ANBU young too, didn't you?" pointed out Itachi.

"I was fifteen, and in retrospect, maybe even that was too young. You're not even thirteen yet and you've never had to serve in wartime. You'll be asked to kill in any shinobi branch, but in ANBU it will be routine. You don't want to cross that line until you have to."

"…I've already killed." Itachi said, "I was seven the first time, and that wasn't the last."

Kakashi's face was unreadable beneath two masks, but the long silence was telling.

"What happened?" he finally asked.

"I was a Genin and my team was assigned a normal D-rank mission delivering supplies to one of the closer remote outposts about two miles from the village. We were ambushed by a rogue ninja who I can only guess was after the supplies. He decapitated our sensei before any of us knew what was happening. He must have thought I was too small to be a threat because he was focused on my older teammates. I stabbed him in the throat with a kunai."

Itachi was able to relate the story with the calm matter-of-factness of a mission report, but in reality, the event had left him a shaking, blood-soaked mess. The first strike had killed the attacker, but Itachi, seven years old and terrified, had not stopped stabbing until his teammates recovered enough to pull him off. What had particularly affected him about that day was that he had once promised himself he would never take a life.

Itachi had been four years old when his father took him to see one of the battlefields of the Third Great War, the ground still soaked with blood and carpeted with rotting corpses. Fugaku had hoped the experience would toughen his son up, harden him. It had not exactly had the intended effect. Itachi had sworn to himself that day that he would never kill, an oath broken at the tender age of seven, and several times since.

"I'm surprised you hadn't heard that story," Itachi said, "People started avoiding me after that. They stopped putting me on teams with other Genin."

"So… Killing comes easily to you, huh?"

"…I didn't say that… I think killing should be a last resort. That's why I like genjustu."

There was another long silence before Kakashi nodded slowly, and turned back to watch the target.

"So what is worth killing for then?" he asked, not looking at Itachi.

"…Peace." Itachi answered quietly, "If my taking a life will prevent my little brother from ever knowing war… then I'll gladly do it."

Early the next morning, Itachi spotted a traveler approaching the hot spring. At first glance, the man seemed to be a typical middle-aged civilian, but then Itachi noticed his sandals. They were the light-soled shinobi sandals favored by Kusa for their ability to move silently through the tall grass native to their country. Itachi also observed that the man's right hand hovered closer to his hip than his left, likely indicating a concealed weapon.

"I think I found our Kusa operative, approaching from the north."

"Now that's timing. Our Taki operative just crested the hill from the east. If the target speaks to them, our orders are to eliminate him before he can pass on any information."

Sure enough, Isao did in fact meet with both men. He spoke them separately and it was clear he was trying to broker a deal, selling to the highest bidder.

"We'll move as soon as the lights go out. Make sure Kusa and Taki's men don't see anything."

"Yes, Sempai."

When the last light went out in the resort, Itachi and Kakashi slipped silently over the wall and through an open window. They easily located their target's room.

"We have to kill this one. You can stay outside if you want." Kakashi offered.

Itachi shook his head, "I took an oath to defend the village. I'll do what's necessary."

"In that case, I'll hold you to it. This will be your kill. This is your last chance to change your mind."

In response, Itachi only drew his ninjato. Kakashi slipped a paper flash bomb under the door. The flash was blinding, but silent on the other side. The moment it went off, Itachi and Kakashi slipped like ghosts through the door, careful not alert any of the guests of their presence. Isao had not been caught completely off-guard; he struck quickly but blindly, lunging clumsily toward the ANBU operatives with a kunai. Itachi easily stopped the blade with his own.

"The hell?! ANBU's sending brats now? That's just insulting."

Itachi activated his Sharingan, and with his free hand formed the seal to spring the genjutsu trap he had set up before he even entered the building. Isao's eyes went glassy and his kunai clattered to the floor.

"I guess your file wasn't exaggerating your genjutsu skill." commented Kakashi.

"Let's just finish this, Sempai."

"Like I said, it's your kill."

Itachi reversed his grip on his ninjato, and in one smooth motion, drew it smoothly across Isao's throat. He fell to the ground, a growing pool of blood flowing from his wound. Itachi monitored his pulse until it disappeared.

"He's gone." He reported.

Kakashi searched the room while Itachi searched the body, collecting every trace of sensitive information they found. With the room cleared, they departed. The Kusa and Taki operatives might suspect who had assassinated their contact, but there would be no sign that ANBU had ever set foot there. With any luck, they might even blame each other.

The journey back to Konoha was just a silent as the one to the Land of Rivers, but just as fast. The village gates were a welcome sight. Itachi was eager to see Sasuke and find out how his aptitude test had gone, but he first had to report to the Hokage.

Itachi and Kakashi stood at attention before the Third Hokage.

"Please, please, relax." Sarutobi said, waving them off, "Did the intelligence prove accurate?"

"Yes, Hokage-sama. The target was eliminated." Kakashi replied.

"That is unfortunate." Sarutobi sighed, "But well done. What is your evaluation of the probationary operative, Kakashi?"

Kakashi glanced at Itachi, "…He's ready."

The Hokage raised an eyebrow, "After one mission?"

"I'm as surprised as you are, sir." Kakashi replied with a shrug.

"Very well then. I trust your judgment. Congratulations, Itachi, and well done."

Back in ANBU headquarters, Itachi wiped the blood from his fresh tattoo.

"Kakashi-sempai… I need to know one thing. Did you only pass me because… I'm Obito's cousin?" he asked.

Kakashi did not outwardly react, "Obito had nothing to do with it. I started that mission with no intention of ever passing you. But… I realized that failing you would only cost the village a good operative. Welcome to ANBU, kid. Don't let it destroy you."

It was after dark when Itachi made it back to the Uchiha Compound. His parents were sitting in the front room when he walked in.

"Itachi! You're home!" Mikoto exclaimed, "How was your mission?"

"It was successful."

"Are you okay? You weren't hurt were you?"

"I'm fine, Mom."

"What about your evaluation?" Fugaku asked.

Itachi pushed up the sleeve on his left arm, revealing the tattoo.

Fugaku smiled widely, "Very good. At this rate you could be Hokage soon! Keep it up, Itachi."

"Where's Sasuke?" Itachi asked.

"I think he's at the river." replied Mikoto.

Itachi dropped off his gear in his room then went looking for Sasuke. He found him sitting on the end of the dock and sat down beside him.

"Hey, Otouto. How did the test go?"

"…I got the highest score in my class." Sasuke replied quietly, not looking at him.

"That's great, Sasuke. Why don't you seem happy?"

"Because… Dad said I should have gotten a perfect score… like you."

Itachi's smile faded. Fugaku had always held unreasonable standards for both his sons. Itachi had endured sleep deprivation, chakra exhaustion, and broken bones to meet those expectations, resulting in chronic illness throughout his childhood. He was determined not let Sasuke go through the same thing. Unfortunately, that meant that while Sasuke was spared being physically broken down, he instead had to endure Fugaku's disappointment.

"Sasuke… Don't worry about what Dad says. You're going to surpass me someday. I have no doubt about that. Someday I'll just be a footnote under your name in the history books."

"…You're a liar, Itachi. Everybody knows Dad's setting you up to lead the clan, maybe even be Hokage someday. Nobody cares about me."

"I do. I will always be there for you, Sasuke, even if it is only as an obstacle for you to overcome. That's what big brothers are for." Itachi told him, "Besides, I'd make a terrible Hokage."

Sasuke finally cracked a smile at that. Itachi reached over and poked his forehead affectionately.

"Come on. Let's go home."

"Wait! How was your mission, Aniki?"

"It was fine. But I'm full ANBU now, so I'm probably going to be gone a lot more from now on."

"You'll still be able to spend time with me sometimes, right?"

"Of course."

"Then that's okay."