TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Unwinding Time by Reveri

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: It was what she was learning that mattered - the fact that she was learning something changed everything.
"Alright, then." said Kakashi, leaning heavily on his crutches for some much-needed support. He was still worn out from his previous battle, and the tree-climbing demonstration did nothing to help him.

He motioned towards the river in front of him, "We're going to try something called the Water Surface Walking technique. Like the Tree Climbing method, the purpose of this training excercise is to develop better chakra control. You are putting chakra in the bottom of your feet in order to stand on the surface of the water.

But there's a catch," he continued. "A tree is unwavering. It is steady and strong, and unchanging. A river, on the other hand, is constantly flowing and changing and moving. When you walk on a tree, you only need to worry about maintaining the same amount of chakra you are exerting. On water, however, you need to adapt to the different surfaces and densities of the water, which is why this technique is more advanced than the previous one. Got it?"

"Hai, sensei!" Sakura was listening intently. Of course, she had learned this technique already from Shizune, who kindly volunteered to teach Sakura some minor jutsu when Tsunade was too busy with her duties as the Hokage. Nonetheless, simply having Kakashi-sensei finally teach her and only her something for once made her grin wildly.

"I don't expect you to be able to do this the first time, even with your astounding abilities in chakra control. But eventually you should be able to perform this technique without even being aware about it. Now, I'll demonstrate this for you."

And with that, he hobbled towards the river, stepping on the surface of the clear river without hesitation.

When he finally reached the other side, he turned around and smiled - or at least it seemed so, under his mask, and called, "You try, Sakura." Just as she was about to step on the water, he added, "You might want to take off your dress in case you get wet. Oh, and your sandals too. That makes it easier for you to walk on the water."

The kunoichi's eyebrow twitched, but otherwise she did not speak. She knew he was only trying to help (and the fact that he looked so worn out prevented her from wanting to punch him into the next century).

She nodded, stripping of her qipao dress and sandals. Now dressed in her mesh top and ninja shorts, she confidently placing her feet on the icy liquid. A familiar tickling sensation grazed her feet.

Hesitatingly, she walked towards the other side, hoping to seem somewhat afraid (and unsuspicious).


Sakura leapt across the rooftops at an amazing speed for a normal human. Once the civilians were successfully placed inside the Hokage monuments, she had immediately headed towards Ino and the others. She had no time to waste - it was something she had drilled inside her head ever since she had become a proper medic. Each second could mean the loss of someone's life. She clenched her fists, forcing her legs to run faster.

"Sakura!" It was Kakashi-sensei. He himself was leaping among another set of rooftops. His headband was no longer tilted down; his Sharingan eye was open.

"Kakashi-sensei!" shouted Sakura, not halting, but nonetheless going at a slightly slower pace.

"You shouldn't exert yourself too much," teased the jounin. "What will everyone do if one of Konoha's best medics is too tired to do anything?"

Sakura grinned. "Thanks, Kakashi-sensei, but I'd never let that happen."

He smiled. "Maybe I should teach you a new technique after this is all over, hmm?" His hands formed the ram seal before he dissapeared, a cloud of smoke following in his wake.


Tsunade had left to prepare the scroll that would send her back in time; meanwhile, Sakura stared at the bodies of her fallen comrades.

The kunoichi looked at her ex-teacher. Even in death, his mask was still on. She chuckled softly. His face was no longer serious and composed; in fact, he looked peaceful and young. There was even a hint of naivety in his features.

He looked as if he were sleeping.

"Kakashi-sensei..."


"Ack!" Sakura had fallen into the depths of the river. She spluttered for a moment before swimming to the edge of the river, catching her breath.

"Don't worry Sakura - like I said, I wasn't expecting you to get all the way across. You've done a great job."

"Y-yeah. Thanks Kakashi-sensei." She was shaken. Never had she ever fallen in a river before (at least not since she had mastered the technique). Heck, she could have performed surgery on a ninja in a critical condition and she would still be able to cross the river without any problems.

She stood up. Her knees began to buckle under her weight before Kakashi kindly gripped her hand.

Why are you so nervous? You almost did it! Cha!

It's... I don't know...

It's just because the water is cold, that's why I'm shaking, she told herself, gritting her teeth.

"Thanks, Kakashi-sensei."

"No problem. Now, would you like to try again?"

"H-hai."


An hour or so had passed, and Naruto was finally getting the hang of the jutsu. In fact, judging by the kunai that served as marks on the worn-out bark of the lofty trees, he was ahead of Sasuke by several feet.

The Uchiha, panting as he glared up at the small foot-sized dents on his tree, frowned. It didn't take a genius to realize that Sakura's words had somehow helped Naruto.

I can't believe I'm doing this... the Uchiha mused.

"Naruto..."

"Eh?" The blonde stared at him, an eyebrow raised.

"What did Sakura tell you?" He muttered, a small blush present on his face.

Naruto grinned, crossing his arms. "If you wanted help, you could've just said so earlier!"

"Just tell me," scoffed the Uchiha, not meeting Naruto's eyes.

"Alright!" and then Naruto began to explain to Sasuke, of course, using the same ramen analogy Sakura had told him.

Sasuke stared at the knucklehead, dumbfounded.

"...Sakura told you that?"

"Yup! What's wrong? It's great advice!"

You call that advice? But more importantly... he improved from understanding that? He shook his head in disbelief.

"Whatever."


"Wow... I certainly wasn't expecting you to make it on your second try," Kakashi complimented. He was indeed impressed.

"Hehe... well, it's all thanks to you, Kakashi-sensei!"

"I see. So, Sakura." His tone had changed into that of a more serious one. "Why were you acting so strangely on our way to the Land of Waves? Not only have your skilles drastically improved during this mission, but you have used techniques that I have never taught the three of you before. Care to explain?"

The rosette gulped, staring into the onyx eye of her teacher. She had not expected for him to interrogate her so suddenly - it caught her off guard.

And yet, as soon as he had looked at her reaction, the white-haired jounin smiled good-naturedly at his student. "Let's head towards the boys and see how they're doing, shall we?" He walked ahead of her, pulling out a familiar orange book as he did so.

Sakura furrowed her eyebrows.

What just happened?


Both boys had reached the branch Sakura had managed to sit on earlier, but for both of them, it was not enough.

Naruto glared peevishly at the raven-haired boy on his left.

So he managed to reach here too, eh... well I'll show him! I'll get even higher up!

"Naruto, Sasuke..kun!"

The Uchiha noticed the way his teammate called his name strangely, but chose not to comment. Instead, he muttered, "Sakura..."

"Hmm?"

"Why are you dripping wet..?"

"AAAAAAAAAH!" Naruto panicked, staring at Sakura, then Kakashi, and back to Sakura again. "SAKURA, YOU'RE PRACTICALLY NAKED! WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER, KAKASHI-SENSEI!"

Kakashi rose one of his hands in defense, "Ehehe... well you see, Naruto-kun,"

"NARUTO, YOU BAKA!" yelled Sakura, clenching her fist. "WE WERE PRACTICING, YOU IDIOT! AND I'M NOT NAKED!"

"P-practicing?" Naruto's eyes widened as round as dinner plates. Sasuke froze, staring at Sakura oddly.

"...Not THAT way, you pervert!" the pinkette growled. She was dying to leap up into that tree, haul the loudmouth by the collar, and give him a good scolding.

Sensing an onslaught of yelling and punching coming along, the elite jounin quickly interjected, "Now, now, you two... Sakura, you're done for the day, so you can go ahead and change and then guard Tazuna-san."

Sakura left, muttering something along the lines of "that stupid little idiot..." as she left.

"Now, as for you two... you can stop training as well. I see you've both done pretty well."

"I'm not stopping!" yelled Naruto, frowning. "I've gotta beat that teme over there!"

"Hmph." stated Sasuke, as if this word alone could represent his thoughts.

The ex-ANBU sighed, eyeing the two wearily. "I thought so."


Sakura arrived at the worksite, where Tazuna-san among quite a few other men were working on the rebuilding of the bridge.

"Tazuna-san!" she yelled, running over to his side. "May I help?"

He raised an eyebrow. "You're just a girl, you wouldn't be able to lift all these heavy things," he gestured towards several thick planks of wood and other heavy machinery."

Sakura scoffed, before continuing, "Just tell me what to do - I'll do it, promise."

"Alright," he sighed. "I need you to take these planks of wood to the edge of this bridge. I'm sure you can do it." Doubt laced his voice.

Not bothering to reply, Sakura hoisted up said planks of wood.

They're a bit heavier than usual, seeing as I'm weaker than before, but it's nothing much.

She then walked calmly towards the area Tazuna had instructed her to go to as if she was carrying nothing but a feather.

Several men gaped at the kunoichi, the master bridge builder included. He, however, was the first to regain his composure. "Come on, everyone!" he yelled, grinning. "We don't want to be bested by a child, do we?"


Sakura and Tazuna, both worn out from their morning's work, entered the streets of the Land of the Waves. The pinkette, vividly remembering her visit here, grimaced.

"I need to buy some food for lunch," the man grumbled, eyeing the run-down grocery store a street ahead.

Sakura nodded, frowning at the people who walked by around her. They all had the same, dejected look. It was something she hated dearly.

"We're here." said Tazuna, raising his bamboo hat by an inch or so. Sakura's sights, however, fell on a small dark haired boy who was sitting against the grimy walls of the 'grocery shop'. He looked the same age as Inari, except his clothes had large holes in them and he was so skinny his bones were sticking out.

"Hey..." the pinkette muttered, crouching down so that she was eye-level with the boy. He gazed up at her, fear flashing across his eyes.

"Y-yes?" His voice was hoarse.

"Take this." She placed several gold coins in his palm - it was enough for several bowls of ramen at Naruto's favourite ramen stall, Ichiraku, but Sakura inwardly knew this much money would've lasted two weeks' worth of food.

His eyes lit up like a lightbulb. His hands shook excitedly.

"T-thank you so much, miss!"

Sakura grinned, although she felt extremely guilty. The last time she was here as a genin, she had done nothing but give a child candy before leaving and consume Tazuna's hard-earned food. Maybe she could pay back for all her mistakes here somehow...

She prepared herself for the blow of pity as she entered the grocery store, but it was no use. There was barely any food in the shop, nevermind customers. Not to mention, each vegetable was so overpriced and rotten it was absurd. Tazuna merely frowned as he took out his pouch.

"Tazuna-san, I'll pay," muttered Sakura.

"What? I'll let you do no such thing," he scolded lightly.

"But my teammates and I will be eating off of you all anyway, and it wouldn't be in the least polite," she tried to reason.

"We underpaid you greatly for this mission," he grunted, taking a few small carrots and cabbages.

"You had no choice!"

"We're just going in circles. I'm paying, and that's final. I can't have someone, especially a child, paying for my food."

The kunoichi pouted, crossing her arms.

"You don't need to show me pity." And with that, he paid for his groceries.