TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Unwinding Time by Reveri

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: The aftermath of the war is full of grief and misery. However, Tsunade provides Sakura with something that could change the world.
A 16 year old girl lay in what was left of the Konoha hospital. She was draped in plain white sheets. White opaque cloth formed a tent surrounded her, its' fabric soft and silky. The ground beneath her was hard, though covered by a soft beige canvas cloth.

The teenager grunted, furrowing her eyebrows as she slowly gained consciousness. Grumbling, she brushed a few messy coral locks out of her eyes, muttering, "Now why in the god damn hell do I feel so darn tired?"

Who was this moody, grumpy little "lady", you ask?

Why of course. Sakura Haruno, Konoha kunoichi. And to prove it, you could ask her. She would proudly show you her Hitai-ate.

But anyway, bright emerald eyes sprung wide open, glancing around at the surroundings.

… What happened?

Sakura slowly began to recall yesterday's previous events.

Let's see. I woke up, went to Tsunade, she thought, her finger placed delicately on her chin, her eyes looking skyward in thought.

Then… the Akatsuki… leader… was coming… Sakura tensed. In an instant, a blur of images came to her.

Ino, who had died to protect Sakura…

Hinata, on the stretcher..

Naruto, who defeated Pein..



and Sasuke, who…killed…


Sakura bolted straight out of her makeshift bed, unzipping the flimsy zipper that kept her in the tent. She stumbled outside in hospital garb.

She gazed forlornly at the sight before her.

Thousands of shinobi lay brutally wounded on stretchers, beds, sleeping bags, and whatever else could be used. The only ones standing were some medics, civilians, and small troops of shinobi, as well as Shizune… and Tsunade…

"Shishou!" Sakura yelled, unshed tears beginning to form on her eyes.

The almighty Hokage spun around to meet Sakura, an evident, half-hearted smile of relief on her face.

"Sakura.."

"Oh, Tsunade-sama! Where's Naruto? Ino? Kakashi? Hinata?" Sakura gulped, "Sasuke?"

Tsunade's face immediately turned grim. "Hinata survived the surgery… and Sasuke… that traitorous man… I don't know."

Sakura frowned. "But… but shishou, what about everyone else?"

The fifty-year old woman began to shake and tremble.

"Dead," she whispered. "Dead."

For a while, Sakura helped heal the wounded to the best of her abilities. But finally, she could take it no more. Excusing herself before tears could erupt, she ran to the training grounds to find her fallen comrades.

~

Sakura crouched down next to Naruto first, his face peaceful, and blood wiped off his cheeks and body.

"Oh Naruto…" Sakura choked. For minutes she gazed at Naruto, clutching onto his sleeve.

Sakura felt a gentle pat on her back, craning her head sideways, to see her beloved shishou.

"Shishou..." the pinkette wailed. "Why did he have to die? Why wasn't anyone there to save him? After all he did for us!"

"Because, Sakura, he wanted to prove himself. But most of all… he wanted to be the one to save Sasuke. Not any other shinobi. After all, he still remembered the promise."

It was like time had frozen for Sakura. "Our promise…"

Don't worry, Sakura-chan! I promise I'll get Sasuke back for you!

I can't, Sakura… I can't just give up on Sasuke… because I made a promise to you…

Sakura-chan, I won't ever forget my promise.

My promise...

Promise…


"I can't believe it… it's all my fault… I never do anything right… even now, I'm the cause of everyone's downfall…"

"No, Sakura." Tsunade was smiling at her.

"Shishou?" Sakura whispered, confusion on her face from her shishou's smile.

"Sakura… I've thought of a way. It's forbidden though… but, Sakura, it will fix everything if it is done right… and I, Sakura, entrust you to this heavy task."

The pinkette's eyes widened. A way to fix everything…

"Please, tell me!" Sakura begged, getting more and more excited by the minute.

Tsunade sighed, taking out a black, dusty scroll. "I'm going to send you back into time. To when you were 12 years old, a mere Genin."

Sakura gaped like a fish, slowly comprehending…

"To… to stop…"

"Yes, you're correct. Orochimaru."

"… I see…" Sakura whispered. "But… shishou, wasn't Pein the main assaulter? Even if I manage to save Sasuke, we still can't stop Akatsuki…"

Tsunade chuckled. "Sakura. Sasuke defeated the already dieing Nagato, who was over control of Pein. Sasuke had Akatsuki at his fingertips. Trust me."

Sakura frowned. Sasuke's dark and twisted... beyond repair… she sighed.

"Alright."

~

"Well then." Tsunade stood up straight, her eyes determined and fierce as she gazed upon her student.

"I, Tsunade, the Hokage of Konohagakure, entrust to you, Sakura Haruno, Chuunin of Konohagakure, to undertake the mission to defeat Orochimaru and protect Sasuke Uchiha."

"Hai!"

"Now, we'll begin the procedure."

"Stand in that small stream, Sakura." Tsunade ushered.

Sakura nodded, and stood, her legs shivering against the cold water on her toes. The scroll lay soaked in the stream, the paper under the material of Sakura's boots, and the kanji on it glowing. A translucent fog surrounded Sakura, causing water droplets to form on her hair. Tsunade was barely visible from inside the fog.

"Alright Sakura. Remember, we can always communicate through the scroll I gave you. Just simply write the message you want on it. I will receive the same message on my scroll. Once I've finished reading, your message will fade away, and I will write a new one. Then, you'll feel like your nose is on fire, and it won't stop until you've opened the scroll. Now, perform the hand seals I taught you. You can take however long is needed to kill off Orochimaru and protect Sasuke, which will probably take," Tsunade muttered, "a couple years."

The pinkette sniffed, wiping a tear.

"A-anyway, when you've complete this mission, place the returning s-scroll in the exact place where this stream is, a-a-and perform the same hand signs. Don't worry; the fog comes n-naturally." The blonde woman paused for a moment to choke a sob. "If my calculations are correct, you'll be sent back 4 years back from this exact day… the day you guys are sorted into teams…"

'N-n-now… go, Sakura! Save us all!"

"Shishou…"

The fog became denser by the minute; finally, it swirled around Sakura –

"Sakura, I believe in you! You're my apprentice!"

Until finally, the kunoichi blacked out.

~

Sakura Haruno opened her eyes to see the freshly mowed grass of the training fields next to her face. Her fingertips were emerged in the cold stream she'd been standing on seconds ago.

"Amazing," she breathed.

And it truly was. At once Sakura grabbed the scroll Tsunade had been talking about moments before, scrawling a brief message to Tsunade with a paintbrush in hand.

Shishou-sama,

This is Sakura. I've arrived safely, do not worry. But, how will I get rid of my former 12 year old self? I'm still in my 16 year old garb, and it feels slightly on the loose side. I can manage, though.

Sakura.



Sakura sighed, rolling up the scroll and dusting off bits of grass and dirt off her plum-coloured skirt. Seconds later, there was a hot, tingling sensation on Sakura's nose.

"Ack!" she gasped, unrolling the scroll, marveling at how Tsunade's writing had appeared on the parchment.

Sakura,

Surely you have found out already? You are in your twelve year old body. Anyway, it might take some time getting used to, but I'm sure constant training will help. Now, hurry, if I might recall correctly, Konoha Academy starts at 9a.m. sharp, no?

Good Luck,

Tsunade.


The rosette gasped, staring at her reflection among the clear waters of the stream. She toyed with her long, light pink hair.

"Ow!" she gasped, rubbing her nose. "What now?"

She glanced back at the scroll.

Stop gazing at your reflection and go to the academy… now!

Love,

Tsunade.

Sakura gasped in astonishment at how, after all these years, Tsunade knew her so well. She gave a raspy choke that was meant to be a laugh, and then in no time, she began giggling, stuffing the scroll into her medical pouch and dashing off in the direction of home.

~

The coral-haired chuunin, or rather, academy student-graduate, exited her house with a grin plastered on her face (after being bombarded with a series of questions from her mother such as, "Where were you this morning?" and "Do you know how worried I've been?"). She had changed into her former qipao dress and black shorts as to not stir so much attention, while keeping on her black gloves and boots for her legendary chakra-infused kicks and punches.

Yup, Sakura Haruno was ready.

She hummed a soft tune while strolling down the road, crossing the Yamanaka Flower Shop.

Coincidentally, Ino, a pretty blonde ex-friend of Sakura's came out of the shop, smirking at Sakura.

"Forehead-girl."

Sakura stopped, dead in her tracks. Oh god no… Ino…

"What's wrong? Cat got your tongue?" Ino mocked, raising an eyebrow, nowhere near noticing how forlorn Sakura looked at the moment.

The pink-haired girl gulped, and then came back to her senses.

"Oh, of course not, Ino-pig. I was thinking. You don't seem to do a lot of that, do you?"

Ino blushed furiously, and decided to let it pass this one time. "Well, well, well. Someone seems to be in a bad mood today. See you later… or not."

Sakura smirked at her best friend, her heart aching with a pang as Ino Yamanaka blended in with the crowd. That is, until she received a revelation.

Oh, no! I shouldn't be messing up past events… I don't want to seem to suspicious. But then again, Sakura thought, looking skyward as she walked ahead, if I don't reveal my true nature and abilities now, what will happen when I actually begin to fight Orochimaru? Naruto and Sasuke will definitely become suspicious…

What should I do?


Before Sakura could even begin to ponder further, she bumped into a mellow, raven-haired child with onyx eyes –

Oh gods. It was Sasuke.

The survivor of the Uchiha clan glared at Sakura, clearly irritated.

"Oh, uh…" Quick! Think of something!

"Hey, Sasuke! Ahaha, I mean, Sasukkee-kuun~! How are you! Isn't it so awesome that we're graduating today?"

"…"

"Anyway, catch you later!"

Sakura continued her short trip to the Academy, until seconds later, she muttered, "Hey Sasuke..kun. Why are you so late?"

"Are you deranged?" he muttered.

The rosette's eyes widened. That reminds me… his clan was massacred years from today!

But before the kunoichi could turn around, the brooding Uchiha was already heading in the direction of the Academy.

"S-Sasu..ke.." she whispered.

~

By the time Sakura reached class, most of the students were already assembled.

"Oi," shouted Iruka, looking less stressful than he would be 4 years later, "Sakura Haruno! Get to your seat! I've already started assigning you into groups!

"Hai, Sensei…"

Oh, great! Now you pissed off our beloved Sasuke-kun, AND we're late!

Sakura jumped in her seat as she took a spot – unknowingly, next to Naruto, who blushed.

Holy… who was that horrible fangirlish voice in my head?

Inner Sakura, you wimbo! How could you have forgotten? … Hey, that reminds me… you don't sound like me! You sound older! Who are you and what have you done with me?




Sakura sighed, tuning out Inner Sakura's high pitched voice as she listened to Iruka drone on.. until..

"Team 7, with Hatake Kakashi,"

"Uchiha Sasuke,"

A chorus of fangirls who Sakura had no idea of how they had even passed the test screamed.

"Uzumaki Naruto,"

The same crazy preteens gaped and choked on their own saliva.

"and Haruno Sakura."

An uproar ensued, including shrieks of joy from Naruto, a "Hn" from Sasuke, and screams of terror from fangirls. Meanwhile, Sakura smiled serenely while Inner Sakura did the tango. She'd never thought she would live to see this magical moment ever again. She smiled as a wave of nostalgia passed over her.

And as Iruka tried his best to calm the raging fangirls to no avail, Sakura felt a tap on her shoulder. She spun around to see Ino.

"What, Ino-pig?"

"Well, forehead-girl, you should feel lucky that I didn't pummel you yet. I'd rather you be in Sasuke's team out of all the other stupid girls here… because it means he'll be seeing the weakest girl in Konoha."

Sakura twitched, but did not make eye-contact with her 'rival'. "Why, thank you, Pig-face." She turned around, grumbling, and tuned in to Naruto and Iruka-sensei's heated conversation.

"- well I'm the top in this class! So why do I have to be with that chicken-butt haired guy?"

"Hn!"

"Naruto, Sasuke's the top in this class. You're the at the bottom of it!"

"Hey! You're speaking to the future Godaime here!"

"That's it!" Iruka muttered. "Team 8, with Kurenai Yuuhi, Kiba Inuzuka, Shino Aburame, and Hinata Hyuuga..."

~

That afternoon, Sakura sat on a stone porch, a wave of nostalgia flooding over her as she took out the scroll and began to write.

Tsunade,

Everything went alright as usual. But I'm having a slight dilemma. Should I reveal my abilities now, so that Kakashi-sensei and the others don't suspect things later? Or should I reveal them only when necessary, so that they won't suspect things now?

From,

Sakura.


Sakura had barely scrawled her name onto the flimsy paper before her previous writing faded off and Tsunade's hurried writing appeared on the page, stroke after stoke.

Sakura,

As you are going to be affecting the entire universe right now, you should probably start training. On a lighter note, introduce your abilities gradually. It shouldn't be too hard for you as your chakra and strength is already much less than what you're used to.


"Sakura-chan! Wanna eat lunch with me?" yelled Naruto, startling Sakura as she quickly put away the scroll.

"I'm sorry Naruto, but I think I want to go train. You know, in time for the missions to come!" Sakura quickly muttered.

"Ah… I see…"

"Sorry!" The kunoichi quickly dashed off, unable to make direct eye contact with the hyperactive ninja. I'm sorry, Naruto. It's just that I can't talk to you normally without thinking of your dead body… she slowed down to a walking speed, and shuddered.

If one thing's for sure, you sure are a depressed bum.

Ugh… enough is enough. I don't want to have a fragment of my twelve-year old self lingering around, pestering me.

But you know… if you really want to save our dear precious Sasuke-kun, you'll have to act like a proper kunoichi!

… I can't believe I'm saying this, but for once in your life, you're right. I can't believe I'm taking advice from myself four years ago.

Aha, well… times change. Besides, don't you have some training for Sasuke-kun protection to do?

~

The next day, Sakura entered the classroom, treating Naruto slightly kinder than before and making some small talk with Hinata, who she'd grown accustomed to over the years. She winced as her aching muscles hurt with every move. Little did she know, a Sasuke gazed at her every move, a questioning look on his otherwise emotionless face every time Sakura swore at the pain.

Slowly, group after group left the vincity, until Team 7 finally remained. Naruto paced around the room, scowling every now and then as he checked the clock. Kakashi was 3 hours late.

But for Sakura, already a long-time participant of team 7's boring waits for their teacher, simply fell asleep on the desks – something Shikamaru would have done. But those few hours of sleep regenerated a hefty sum of chakra. And those few hours were about to extend into a whole afternoon – that is, until –

Bam! The door slided open, startling Sakura out of her sleep. Oh good, sensei's FINALLY here.

As Sakura stood up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, she noticed something, and decided to voice it.

"Why is it so quiet here?"

"Hn."

"… oh my gosh! Naruto, why is there chalk dust all over Kakashi-sensei?" Just great. I forgot Naruto was still a little prankster.

"Ehehehehe, sorry, Sakura-chan…"

"You guys…" Kakashi thundered, brushing the dust out of his already chalky-looking silver hair, "are idiots."

Naruto, you dumbass! I'm going to pummel you if I ever get the chance!

Agreed.


~

Kakashi and his so called "idiot" students arrived at the roof of the academy, the trio sitting on the concrete steps and the silver-haired man leaning against the railing.

"So, kids, why don't we introduce ourselves to each other? For example, talk about your likes, your dislikes, your dreams, as well as your hobbies."

When none of them replied, Kakashi prodded, "Go on. It's not like I'll bite you guys or anything."

Sakura glanced at her teammates, one of them glaring back at Kakashi-sensei and the other being, well, emotionless.

"Uhh, sensei, why don't you start?"

Said sensei sighed. "My name is Kakashi Hatake. Let's see... I have many likes as well as dislikes, but none of you need to know them. My dreams… nada. My hobbies… well, there are so many that I'd take forever to list them, so, I won't tell you. Go ahead, Naruto."

Naruto's jaw dropped to the floor, as did his other two newfound teammates. Then, when it seemed like the legendary Copy-ninja would not be elaborating any further, he began to introduce himself. "Well, uh, I'm Uzumaki Naruto! I like ramen, Sakura-chan, Iruka-sensei, I hate emo little bastards," he muttered, glaring at Sasuke, "my dream is to become the Hokage so that everyone will respect me for who I am, and my hobbies are training and pulling pranks!"

Sakura giggled. Typical Naruto. "My name is Sakura Haruno, and I like puzzles and sweet-smelling grass. Like Naruto, I'm not really fond of… emotion deprived people –"

"You got that right, Sakura-chan!"

"And my dream is to be able to protect the ones I love. Oh, right. My hobbies are reading, training, and hanging out with Hinata and Ino- nevermind." Sakura bit her lip; Naruto knew pretty well that Sakura and Ino were rivals.

"Hey, Sakura-chan? Don't you hate Ino?" Naruto questioned, eyebrows raised.

"..." The kunoichi looked downcast, only to be saved by their new teacher.

"Sasuke… Uchiha. What about you?" Kakashi read, glancing at Sasuke's statistics from the sheet Iruka had given him.

"Hn. I like… nothing. I hate… everything… my dream is to avenge my brother and revive my clan, and my hobbies… are doing stuff."

"Awwwe teme, don't you have anything better to say? I mean, you don't want to be as boring as Kakashi-sensei, do you?"

"Hn."

Kakashi smiled under his thick mask, only it would never be noticed by his students. "Well then, I'll see you tomorrow morning at Training Grounds 3. Ah, and don't eat breakfast!" He poofed away.

Sakura and Sasuke simultaneously stood up, heading towards the door, until Naruto yelled,

"Hey, Sasuke! Doesn't reviving your clan mean..." the blonde grinned peevishly, "doing, well, you know..."

"No, I don't." Sasuke retorted, rolling his eyes.

"He means the birds and the bees," muttered Sakura, smiling a little.

"YES! EXACTLY!" Naruto grinned.

Sasuke blushed a little, turning red like the tomatoes he had a habit of eating. Sakura stared at the boy next to her in awe as he did so. He looked so... innocent. She quickly turned away, frowning. This went unnoticed by the rest of her team, as Sasuke began to scoff and quickly left, while Naruto fell over in his laughter.
Chapter end notes: Thanks for reading again! :)