TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Aftermath: The Last Ones Standing by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 115]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Title respectfully borrowed from: The Sisters of Mercy

There were several reasons not to like funerals, and while one of them undeniably was a certain feeling of guilt, this was not the reason for Kakashi to flee from the ceremony as soon as he had fulfilled his duty of saying a few words in honor of the deceased shinobi. It wasn't for the looks he received from the few members of the Hyuga clan who had shown up, the way Kurenai glowered at him, or the sight of Ino and Choji clinging to each other, as if they were the only human beings left in the whole universe.
The thing was, attending funerals never upset him as much as it annoyed him. Even though he could very much relate to those mourning, he still couldn't help but loathe their tears. Because everybody knew that everyone would die – it was only a matter of time until you lost those you cared about, one way or the other. He couldn't understand how everyone seemed so very unwilling to simply accept this, why they would pretend that their loved ones were supposed to be miraculously excluded from this rule.
He passed the Memorial of the Great War, followed the small path leading to the new-old Memorial Stone. To be on his own. And to remind himself, that being surprised by one's friends eventual departure probably was the more healthy attitude towards life.

He stopped a few meters away from his destination. Someone was already there, standing in front of the stone. She had already noticed him – he knew from the way her shoulders tensed.
She turned around to look at him with reddened eyes, the rest of her face hidden behind a mask, not unlike his own, immediately turned away again, back to the stone. Kakashi hesitated, waited whether she would walk away. She didn't, which meant he had to decide for himself if he wanted to join her or not.
More than hesitantly he stepped up next to Rin. He stuffed his hands deep into his pockets.
"Who?", she nodded towards his black funeral attire.
"Shikaku's boy … you didn't know him"
"Right", Rin stated dryly "everyone I knew has their name engraved here."
"Hn", Kakashi thought for a while.
"I'm still here...", he eventually said.
"Yeah", Rin didn't try to conceal the sarcasm in her voice.
She sat down on the stone step in front of the memorial and removed her mask to dab her face with her shirt's sleeve.
Again Kakashi considered to leave her alone, but then sat down next to her instead. He let his hand hover above her shoulder for a second, withdrew it again.
"I'm sorry", he said.
"It's alright", Rin shrugged.
"I'm mean... I've been gone for nineteen years. I should have expected you to move on. It's just...", she pulled her mask back up "She's so young."
Kakashi opened his mouth to point out that Sakura was at least three years older than Rin, but realised that he had no idea how old Sakura was exactly.
"You know what's worst?", Rin asked after a while.
Kakashi shook his head.
"She's nice. I can't even hate her, because she's really...", she hugged her legs, placed her chin on her knees and closed her eyes.
"She left something for you", Kakashi remembered.
"Hm?"
"Some documents... I don't know. She said, you'd know what it is."
Rin nodded slowly. She already had a vague idea, but she wasn't entirely sure.
"If you want to -"
"Pakkun can bring them to me."
"But we don't know where you're hiding."
"...I asked him not to tell you", Rin admitted quietly.
"Ah", Kakashi frowned. He really had to do something about the dog's habit of teaming up with his girlfriends – past or present.
"If you need anything.."
"I'm fine."
She forced herself to smile, then leaned over to Kakashi and wrapped her arms around him.
"Thanks", she whispered.
"What for?"
"I don't know."
Her fingernails dug through the fabric of his shirt and into his shoulder, dragged over his skin as she let go of him.
"I'll see you", she said, placed the tiniest kiss on the visible bit of skin below his right eye, got up and left, leaving behind a slightly dazed and slightly confused Kakashi.