TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Aftermath: The Last Ones Standing by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 115]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Title respectfully borrowed from: Patti Smith.

Kakashi had not come far, when he noticed someone following him. He slowed down a little, eventually came to halt on one rooftop; Since his change of status he usually stuck to the village's streets – traveling by rooftop was generally frowned upon by the civilians, and he believed he should at least try to be an example for his fellow shinobi. This night, however, he couldn't bring himself to endure the crowd on his way home.
"You're fast", he commented, when Neji landed next to him, waited a few seconds for Neji to state his reason for following him, but Neji remained silent.
He remained silent for the entire way, while the bustling streets bellow them passed by as rivers of sound and light. They reached the Hokage's Residence, guards greeting respectfully, and – after considering the different options he had – Kakashi led them to his study, where he ordered his dogs to wait outside, while he and Neji discussed what ever it was that Neji wanted to discuss.
"Well then", Kakashi motioned his guest to take a seat.
"There's something you want to talk about, I suppose?"
Neji nodded briefly. He lowered his gaze.
"I know this a really bad time", he apologised.
"I guess it's pretty immanent, if you want to talk about it anyway.."
"If it wasn't for the given situation", Neji hesitated, obviously reluctant to finish this sentence.
"I wouldn't request your help at all, Kakashi-sama."
He kept his eyes fixed to his knees, his hands neatly folded.
Kakashi watched him closely. Although he respected and valued Neji, would maybe, maybe even go so far as to say, that he liked him; It annoyed him to no end, that he had such great difficulties reading the young Hyuga. Even more so, as Neji – on the other hand – seemed to have no problem at all figuring out what went on behind Kakashi's mask.

"You know", Neji eventually began to speak, "You know what my clan's traditions demand from a member of the branch-families, who fails his or her duty to protect the main-house?"
Suddenly Kakashi felt cold. No. He had felt cold since he had left Kurenai's apartment. Suddenly he felt much colder.
"I believe, I do", he heard himself say, his voice as even as ever.
"But...", he added "Hiashi-san relieved you from the blame for Hinata's death."
"Hiashi-sama has been dead long enough to have his decisions questioned."
Neji held his breath as he waited for Kakashi's reaction, but he just stared right past Neji, pressing his fingers against his masked lips.
Eventually Neji got up, smoothed his apron down as he did so. He bowed, said his apologies for bothering Kakashi with his problems and wanted to leave, but was held back.
"Neji-kun, I can't interfere with your clan's traditions – I'm sorry."
Neji bobbed his head in reply.
"However", Kakashi continued, choosing his words carefully "if you were to decide not to – - follow your clan's tradition, it wouldn't change your status as one of my most valued subordinates in any way. Of course", as he proceeded Neji thought he could hear the tiniest hint of bitterness in Kakashi's voice, "I can't speak for the rest of the village... But I can promise you my full support – and protection, if necessary."
"I am not-", Neji said after staring at his feet for a long while.
"I mean, I am prepared to do it -"
"You shouldn't be!", Kakashi cut him off, taking Neji by surprise with the harshness of his remark.
"I could order you to disobey you're clan, but as the consequences will likely be the same as if you left on you're own account, I'd rather leave the decision to you", he concluded, willing his voice to return to its usual, calm tone. He let go of Neji's arm, stepped aside to allow him to use the door.
"Thank you, Kakashi-sama", Neji bowed as he was about to leave, then – for the first time in this evening – looked Kakashi in the eye. He hesitated, made a few steps through the hallway, then stopped.
"It wasn't your fault", he said without turning around, "Not even Tsunade-sama would have been able to save him."
And then he left.

Chapter end notes:

Is it understandable what it is they are talking about? I'd really love to hear what you think it is!

Also, I'd like to announce that, with this chapter, TONFA-Aftermath finally caught up with FF.net-Aftermath. I'm not entirely sure if these are good news.
From now on, you'll have to wait for me to write new chapters. On the bright side, from now on comments and reviews here might have the power to influence what's happening....
Though I don't want to get anyone's hopes too high - I'm not that easily influenced ;)