TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Aftermath: The Last Ones Standing by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 115]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Title respectfully borrowed from: Pink Floyd

Sakura had spent the better half of the afternoon marveling at the complete numbness of each and every part of her body. Yes, she had read about this, but she had never imagined that the sense of touch really could be diminished to an extend where it was close to none-existent.
A few times she had pinched her arm, then her leg and lastly her breast, to see if she could bring herself to feel anything at all, but all she got was an odd number of bruises. She briefly wondered how she would explain those to Kiba, then remembered that before doing so she would have to explain other things first and lastly, that the official reason for her absence probably offered room to excuse a few laughably light injuries anyway.
She also spent a considerable time getting to the bathroom and back. Kakashi's rather spartan bedroom wasn't exactly furnished to offer support along the way. Yet, somehow she managed – though she felt as if she was about to die of exhaustion when she finally fell back into his bed, and decided to have a serious word with Kakashi, once he returned home. How could he (or they, for she deeply hoped that it had been Tenten who had put her in the pyjamas she was currently wearing – they certainly looked as if they originated from Tenten's wardrobe) have forgotten to place some crutches next to her bed?
With these, or similar thoughts she fell asleep, just as darkness fell around her and robbed her of the most reliable sense she had left.

She awoke with a start. Something had pulled her out of a weird dream about strawberry-flavoured Ramen, and searching for Naruto in a town where everything (from the rooftops to the pavement and the pedestrians) was coloured in a bright and flashy orange, back into reality.
The sound of breaking glass. Sakura vaguely remembered her dream's abrupt end having something to do with a window being smashed. She looked at the real window, but it seemed to be perfectly fine. Maybe it had been a weird dream with a weird and abrupt ending, and nothing more, Sakura thought. And then she noticed the small line of light beneath the bathroom-door.
She listened intently, but heard nothing. Eventually she climbed out of bed, focused her eyes on the light and forced her feet to somehow move in that direction. The path, she knew, was clear, so at least the only obstacles she could stumble over were her own toes. Yet she stumbled, half way – something gave a short wail as she tripped over it – and crashed right through the bathroom-door. The moment her knees hit the tile-floor Sakura was very grateful for her current sensory limitation – although as a medic she knew of the purpose pain generally served and that the inability to feel it could leave you ignorant of your own broken legs. But, as far as she could tell from looking at them, her legs were fine. Badly bruised, probably scraped, but other than that fine.

Her legs, however, were not her main concern in this instant. Her main concern was the question what on earth she was doing here – after all Kakashi had every right to use his own bathroom without her (quite literally) crashing into it. But this thought was quickly forgotten as well, as she took in the scene she had crashed into. First there was Kakashi, unmasked (but dressed, Sakura noted with relief), obviously surprised at Sakura's sudden intrusion, and his right hand dripping with blood. Then, although Kakashi did a rather good job blocking Sakura's view of it as he knelt down in front of her, there was the mirror that looked decidedly more shattered than it had the last time Sakura had seen it.
"You're not supposed to get out of bed yet", he said, placed his left hand on Sakura's shoulder, while his right had long since vanished behind his back. For a second Sakura was baffled by the sincere concern that was all too visibly hidden underneath the nonchalance of his remark. Then she noticed the blood spattered on the floor.
With narrowed eyes she pulled at Kakashi's sleeve to bring his right arm back forth. Kakashi offered surprisingly little resistance.
"You", she replied dryly, as soon as she had caught his hand between her two, and examined the depth with which some of the mirror's shards had embedded themselves in it, "are not supposed to use your mirror as a punching-bag."
She fastened her grip on his wrist as he made a halfhearted attempt to pull away, and continued to remove all pieces of shattered glass.
"What-", she bit her tongue. There was no way Kakashi could have been thinking anything, while burying his bare fist in his mirror-reflection. He hadn't even reinforced the blow with chakra to give his hand a tiny bit of protection.
"Can you move your fingers?", she asked instead and quite automatically. It was, after all, the first question a medic was required to ask any shinbo who had his hand injured.
"It's just scratches", Kakashi replied, only to receive a (given her own condition) remarkably stern look from Sakura. He sighed, obediently bent his fingers, each individually, then in pairs, then in threes, until Sakura nodded satisfied.
"Do you have bandages?", she then asked, "Your scratches are bleeding all over the place."

Sakura lay on her side, right where Kakashi had placed her on his bed. She had not bothered to pull up her blanket – she couldn't feel the cold anyway. Through the open bathroom-door she watched, as Kakashi cleaned up the shards and blood covering the floor, removed the mirror's remains from their hanging-place on the wall. Had he known where he could get a replacement now, in the middle of the night, Sakura had no doubt he would have done so.
"Sorry for earlier", she heard a voice quite close to her, just as Kakashi had left to take the trash outside. She looked down to see that Pakkun had come to join her.
"Never mind", she mumbled, petted the dog – which she hoped wasn't too intrusive. She couldn't remember if she ever had come to pet Pakkun before.
"Tell me, was he always like this and I just never noticed?", she whispered.
"Like this?", Pakkun asked back and pointed one paw at the perfectly clean bathroom, that showed no trace at all of the previous outburst it had witnessed. Except for the empty space above the sink.
"Pretty much, yes", he yawned, baring teeth far too pointed to match his cute appearance.
"Like before... not very often."
"Hm", Sakura's thoughts drifted back to the night after Kakashi had seen Rin for the first time. At the moment itself she had been far too overwhelmed by its intensity, but thinking back now, and after what had just happened - she wanted him to tell her what was upsetting him, wanted to help. But...
She wondered what he would say if she dared to openly confront him, already could hear the smooth words with which he would assure her that there was no need for her to worry, accompanied by a perfect half moon smile, and before she would get the chance to argue with this he'd have her locked outside and doubled, no, probably tripled all his defences.
"Hey, Sakura", she returned her attention to Pakkun.
"It's a good thing you're here", the dog said.
"I'm really getting too old for this"
At this remark Sakura could not but smile.
"You're not old", she shook her head "Your paws are still as pink as a half-year-old's."
Pakkun raised his eyebrows (maybe commenting on one's paws equaled telling a fellow human that he had a nice butt? Sakura inwardly cringed at the idea that she might have unintentionally hit on a dog just now), then he stretched and jumped off the bed, just as Kakashi – accompanied by the rest of the pack – returned.

As Sakura had expected, he acted as if nothing had happened, as if he had just returned from his day at the office, continued with his evening routine right where his attack on the mirror had interrupted it and, for the most part, ignored Sakura.
Only when he had changed he stopped by her (or rather his) bed, to ask how her legs felt (which Sakura couldn't tell him).
"Kakashi?", she caught hold of his shirt, as he turned to head for the spare-bed he had set up for himself on the other side of the room.
"Would you sleep here?", she pointed at the empty space next to her.
Kakashi raised his right eyebrow (which looked way more skeptical than usually, with the rest of his face visible).
"It's just...", Sakura said meekly "I'm really not used to this whole not-feeling-my-body thing, and when it's dark I'm not even sure if I'm still here, and it's scary … and I really don't want to be on my own right now."
It wasn't an entire lie, though she had exaggerated a little. But it served its purpose – Kakashi picked up his bedding, and soon enough lay down next to her; Flat on his back, both eyes closed.
"How is this better?", he asked sounding genuinely curious.
"I don't know", Sakura shrugged. She momentarily hesitated, then lifted up his blanket to crawl under it and rested her head on his chest.
"I can hear your heartbeat", she whispered. Your suddenly increasing heartbeat, she thought, but kept that to herself. She could also hear him breathe in, in a strangely familiar way. For a second she wanted to ask, if he was sniffing her, but quickly decided against it. Even if he was, the only thing Sakura felt was flattered by it. And painfully reminded that she needed to set things clear with Kiba. Neither of which were things she wanted to dwell on right now.
"Did I miss much today?", she asked instead and as casually as she could.
"Mmmmhm"
She waited for a more elaborate answer, waited for a very long time.
"Kakashi?"
"Sorry...", Kakashi blinked, "What did you say?"
"Did I miss much today?"
"Hmmm..", for a second Sakura feared he'd once more end his reply there.
"Nothing worth mentioning"
She let her head sink back to his chest, closed her eyes so that the world around her disappeared, and all that existed was his heartbeat.
"What about Rin?", she asked from within this safe place of sensory isolation. There was no reply, though she could hear his breathing change a little.
"She woke up...", Kakashi spoke slowly.
Sakura looked up, looked at him – she knew she was about to tread on thin ice, but before she had even begun to voice her next question Kakashi had leaned forward and kissed her.
It was only a second before he pulled away.
"I'm sorry", he shook his head, "I – shouldn't ..."
"No, it's fine...", Sakura replied, startled as her voice sounded not like herself at all. She tugged his hair to get him to look at her again, but he decidedly ignored all her effords, until she finally gave up and returned to her previous position, cuddled up against him, and listened to his heartbeat gradually slow down again.
"You know", she mumbled into his shirt's fabric, as she was already half asleep "maybe you could do this again, when I am able to feel it?"