TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11987
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Hdidh
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Aftermath: The Last Ones Standing by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 115]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Title respectfully borrowed from: Nine Inch Nails.

For a second Kakashi considered to disperse his shadow clone, to post-pone seeing Rin until his real self would return from another day of paper-work and quarrels with the advisors. But, he thought, letting his head rest against the wall, Sakura was right. Rin should have someone waiting for her when she woke up. Someone she knew – someone human.
Kakashi released the seal securing the hidden doorway, one unsuspicious looking wood-panel sprang back, and he went inside, re-sealing the door behind him. Even though he knew he shouldn't, he felt greatly relieved when he saw that Rin was still unconscious, when she did not react in any way as he sat down next to her bed and somewhat reluctantly took hold of her hand.
He was grateful when Katsuyu, instead of lecturing him for his apparent lack of concern for Rin, enquired about Sakura's well-being.
"Should I leave you alone, Kakashi-sama?", the slug offered when he had assured it that Sakura was fine. Kakashi thought about this, then slowly shook his head. He looked at Rin's fingers – no one had bothered to cut her nails during the month she had lain in a coma, he noticed. He remembered that while she had never been especially girlish, her hands had always been perfectly manicured. With nails just about long enough to leave marks, if she decided to use them.
She had seemed so much older back then, Kakashi thought, while his eye wandered to her not-yet-sixteen years old face. Although, admittedly, back when he himself had been fourteen Kakashi had not yet stopped to just naturally assume that everyone was older than him. He shook his head and returned his attention to Rin's unconscious form.

Had he been one to easily shriek he would have done so, but as it was he simply blinked a little surprised when he realised that during the time he had spent in reminiscence Rin had opened her eyes.
"Ka..kashi", she moved two fingers, pressed them against the palm if his hand.
Kakashi found himself speechless, he turned to Katsuyu, suspected that right now he looked just as helpless and confused as he felt, but wasn't able to do anything against it.
"How are you feeling, Rin-san?", the slug slowly crept onto Rin's chest and into her direct field of vision. At its sight Rin relaxed. If Tsunade-sama's summon was here, she was safe...
"I... don't know", she closed her eyes, and for a second Kakashi hoped (even though he wouldn't admit this) she had passed out again.
"I thought I died", her eyes sprung open again. She sat up, so suddenly that Katsuyu, caught off guard, tumbled from her and onto the mattress.
"I have to talk to Minato-sensei!", she exclaimed, struggled as Kakashi took hold of her to prevent her from getting out of bed.
"He needs to know-", she stopped talking, stopped struggling, froze in Kakashi's grasp and just stared at him.
"Wh-what happened to you?", her hand rose to touch the rim of his mask.
"Kakashi?", Rin swallowed "This is you, right?"
Kakashi nodded. He should say something, he knew, but there was a lump in his throat that kept any words from forming.
"What happened?", her voice was losing its steadiness again, and Kakashi could feel her getting heavier in his arms as her muscles refused to keep her in this sitting position any longer. He helped her lay down, kept her hand in his when she sank back into her pillows.
"Nine... nineteen years..."
"I... don't understand", Rin shook her head weakly, tried to fasten her grip on his hand.
"You've been dead.. for nineteen years", Kakashi stopped looking at her, instead stared up at the ceiling.
"That's not true", Rin tried to prop herself up on one elbow, but found that even this was too much of an effort in her current condition. She shook her head, squeezed Kakashi's hand as good as she could in an attempt to get him to look at her again. He didn't.
She turned to Katsuyu, who moved its sensory tentacles in a gesture of sympathy that got lost on the human.
"It is, Rin-san", the slug said, its voice calm and soothing and polite, and leaving no room for doubt.
Rin's hand slipped from Kakashi's fingers, hid beneath her blanket. She stared at him, shook her head a few times, tried to blink back the tears that were already streaming down her cheeks.
"Can – can you leave me alone, please?", she asked but got no reply.
"Rin... I...", at last Kakashi tore his eye from the ceiling to look at her, reached out to touch her but she slapped his hand aside as if it was some kind of insect.
"Don't touch me!"
She screamed.
Kakashi opened his mouth but couldn't think of anything to say. He did not quite understand what he had done to have her react the way that she did. Carefully he placed his hand on her shoulder, only to have her crawl deeper under her sheets.
"Leave me alone!", she cried.
"Rin... let me – just –"
"I said, leave me alone!", by now she squeezed herself against the wall, curled up to one ball.
She lowered her blanket, just enough to allow her to see Kakashi standing in front of her bed, his shoulders hunched, his hands buried in his pocket and doing his best to appear as if he couldn't care less about what was going on. At least this hadn't changed, she thought.
"I'm sorry", she tried to say, but as the tears ebbed away hiccups had come to replace the sobbing.
"I can't see you", she said, wasn't surprised in the least when he didn't even bother to argue with this, when he just shrugged, nodded, mumbled that he understood and then disappeared into thin air.