TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Aftermath: The Last Ones Standing by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 115]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Title respectfully borrowed from: The Cure

The first time Kakashi awoke it was from someone, or something, touching his face. And while his initial impuls was to fend whatever it was off, he not quite decided but simply desisted from doing so. He felt surprisngly save where he was right now, even though he wasn't quite sure where exactly that was. Partly encouraged by this feeling, partly because of the leaden exhaustion that had a firm grip on him, he allowed himself to drift back to sleep.
The second time he awoke it was from a light drizzle of rain. He reached for his sleepingbag, to pull it up and over his face, but found nothing, than felt what he had taken for his pillow move, and a hand that catiously touched his shoulder.
"Kakashi?", a voice somewhere above him whispered. He forced his eye open and looked up to find Sakura's face bent over his, looking tired and concerend in the pale light of an early morning's sun.

In a split second Kakashi was up and standing next to her. He looked around, at the streets below them, where the village was still asleep, then back to Sakura, scanning her for any sign of injury.
"I'm fine", Sakura gave him a reasuring smile, and tried to get to her own feet. Her legs felt numb and dead and not at all capable of carrying her own weight, and after a moment she resigned from getting up. Instead she sat back on her behind and stretched and massaged her legs in an attempt to make them come back alive.
Kakashi gave her a doubting look and, his voice a little hoarse, asked what had happened.
Sakura hesitated, she bit her lip, closed her eyes for an instance and yawned, then accepted the hand he offered her to pull herself up, held on to it, uncertain whether she was already able to stand on her own.
"You wanted to get some fresh air", she said and watched the unmasked bit of Kakashi's face carefully for any reaction. She generally considered herself a good liar. But of course, there were those people who usually could see through her. Her mother, Ino and Naruto, and – even though Kakashi had never made the effort to point any of her lies out to her – she knew he was one of them as well.
"And then you just fell asleep", it wasn't a completely unreasonable thing to claim, given the number of times she had had to wake him during their working days in the past few weeks.
Kakashi examined her, no doubt trying to figure out what it was that she kept from him, but said nothing.
"I dismissed the ninken", Sakura then, and truthfully, added, as she noticed him noticing the dogs' absence.
"Why would you?"
"They wont be of any help, if they don't get a chance to rest, right?"
Kakashi shook his head, obviously unwilling to admit that she had a point, and also, Sakura noted, with a hint of of disbelieve.
"They did as you told them?", he asked.
Sakura nodded, unable to prevent the hint of a triumphant smile spreading around her lips. True, it had taken her an awful lot of time to convince them that there was no threat at all in Kakashi being possessed by Naruto, but that, she decided, Kakashi did not need to know.
She shivered, the rain was getting heavier, and followed Kakashi back inside, followed him – as he did not tell her to do otherwise – untill they entered what she recognised to be his bedroom.
Kakashi looked at the alarmclock.
"There are still four hours left till we've got to get to work", he noted, then turned to Sakura.
"You wanna get some sleep?"
"I...", Sakura's eyes unintentionally wandered to his bed, before she forced them back to Kakashi, who – as far as she could tell through his mask – blushed every so slightly.
"I do have guestrooms, you know", he quickly added, turned and went through a door, which apparently led to a walk-in closet, as Kakashi, upon entering, asked her if she wanted something dry to sleep in.
Sakura nodded, then realised that he wouldn't see her, and thus voiced her affirmation. She wondered what on earth Kakashi of all people needed a dressing room for.
She turned her attention to the windowsill, where two photos were standing. One of them she knew well, it was the same one that decorated her own bedsidetable. The other one she had never seen before. Carefully she picked it up, looked at the Yondaime's beaming face, at Kakashi's young self, suprised by how much the look in his eyes reminded her of Sasuke, back in the old days.
His two teammates she did not recognise. They must be dead, she thought, and suddenly realised that Kakashi had never, not before the war nore afterwards, when their relationship had somehow managed to move from teacher-student to something resembling friendship, so much as mentioned them, or anything about his past for that matter, to her.
She put the photograph back, feeling slightly intrusive, and instead looked at her own former team. The memories her nightly conversation with Naruto came back, and brought fresh tears with them.
"Here"
She tore her eyes from the picture and to the black piece of fabric Kakashi held out to her.
"Thanks", she mumbled, took the shirt without looking up and followed him as he led the way to her designated guestroom, where she then stood in the door way, waiting for him to say good night and leave, her eyes still fixed on his shirt in her hands, her frontteeth dug into her lip to bite back the tears.
Kakashi did not move, she could hear him breathing though, could see his feet, and feel his presence, slightly closer than appropriate. And then she couldn't keep it in any longer. She forced herself to look up, look in his eye, and posed the one question that had brewed in her mind, ever since Naruto had left Kakashi's body.
"What if there is a way to get Naruto back?"