TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Aftermath: The Last Ones Standing by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 115]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Title respectfully borrowed from: The Smiths

Although the old memorial, which Pain had destroyed, had been replaced, and there was a new block of granit bearing their names now, it was nothing but a replicate, a substitute, a dead stone where tracing the ingraved names was neither comforting nore a reminder of the dead. It had been some time since Kakashi had last come here. Visiting the new memorial didn't feel right and the realisation that over the years he had grown attached to an actual stone and not – as he had always believed – the symbolic meaning it held, had had him question his own sanity.
On this day however his feet had decided to act on their own and carried him, once he had left the Elders with what ever they did when they were not bussy lecturing the (at least in their eyes) very young Hokage, to the memorial. Maybe he had the faint hope that the headaches that had bothered him for the past two days were but Obito's way of reminding him to come and visit the stone reminder once in a while. Maybe it was the strong desire to talk to someone –
Two hours he had spent listening to the Elder's advice and suggestions without saying so much as a word. He was well aware that the recent disappearance of Uzuki Yugao was no matter that could be ignored, the disappearance of an ANBU-memember never was, and while he understood that the most logical consequence was to gather information from the neighbouring countries, he also felt that it would put a strain on the not yet fully grown bonds of trust between the Allied Nations. He had dispatched three searchparties, but refused to take any further actions for now.
It was not only his concern for the political situation though, which made him hesitate. There was also this feeling he had had, ever since he first learned that Yugao had disappeared this morning. Something that lingered somewhere in the back of his head but slipped away whenever he tried to bring it up to his conscious mind.

Kakashi looked at the new memorial, which did not yet show any signs of its continual exposour to nature's moods, on which no fingers had yet managed to leave their traces from too many visits, where the names engraved were nothing but a copied list, for the ones who had dug them into the stone hardly knew those whose memory they tried to preserve. As if to further emphasise its insignificance there were no flowers for the deceased here either. Those who moaned their lost friends these days did so at the Memorial of the Fourth Great War.
Kakashi wanted to apologise, but was unable to find the right words. He was almost gratefull when a flash of pain drilled its way from his left eye, through his head and down his spine, sudden and intense enough to make him gasp. While it lasted only a split second and left nothing behind but a slight dizziness, it was the fifth, no sixth time that something like this had occured within the past three days. By now Kakashi suspected that it was not his exhaustion which caused the attacks, but rather the other way around.
Reluctantly he left the memorial, and made his way for the hospital. Even if it was nothing serious – if Yugao's disappearance should bring more than the average trouble with it, he'd better sort out any health-issues beforehand.

He casually leant at the receptionist's counter, while the receptionist browsed through various scheduals.
"I'm sorry, Hokage-sama", she said, her voice a few pitches too high, "but you will have to wait for at least one houre. I'll try to reschedual some of the appointments, but I can't guarantee aynthing, I mean, you're not suffering from any accute injuries, are you?", she looked at him over the rim of her glasses, her long lashes fluttering.
Kakashi briefly considered telling her that the only accute injuries he recieved since he had been announced Hokage were papercuts, then decided otherwise. She'd probably regard this as a good thing.
"No, I'll just wait then", he said instead. One houre of waiting equaled one hour of reading, which was something he ironically had had little time for since paperwork had decided to become his worst enemy.
He had just seated himself somewhere in the furthest corner of the foyer, when someone – he did not really pay much attention, what ever happened here was not part of his responisibilities, and there was no way he would try to change that – rushed into the hall, screaming for help. Said someone was closely followed by another shinobi who carried a young kunoichi that hung in his arms giving a very dead impression.
Not quite knowing why Kakashi raised his eye from the pages of his book and looked across the room, as nurses rushed in and put the half-dead girl on a stretcher. She was about fifteen, maybe sixteen years old, her brown, shoulder-length hair was clotted with dirt, as was her dark purple dress, black pants, the black stockings that had slipped half way down her gangly fifteen-year-old-legs. Her forehadprotector, which had losend itself and now covered her face, bore the old symbol of Konoha, instead of the new Allied Shinboi Forces signet.
Something about her felt oddly familiar, Kakashi thought, but before he got the chance of a second glance, she was already gone and he forced himself to return his attentions back to his book. But, no matter to which of his favourite passages he turned, his thoughts would not keep still, returned to the half dead girl again and, until he finally decided to ask the shinobi who brought her here.
They were gone.
Kakashi cursed his lack of interest earlier on, then went to the receptionist, who broke into a flood of excuses for the inconveniences she thought she had caused him the second he approached. By the time she had finished, so many other patients and visitors had lined up behind him, that Kakashi did not dare to say anything other than that he'd be out in the hospital's garden, just in case she needed to know.