TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Shattered Spirit by bronzelord

[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 18

The blond clenched his eyes shut, and looked away from her. Pain lanced through Sakura’s chest, so intense that it sparked tears in her eyes. Naruto clenched his fists so tightly, that his fingernails were drawing blood. Biting her tongue, the pink haired girl stopped and studied the blond. His face was completely stony, and his posture was rigid. Then, she saw the blood on his hands.
“NARUTO! Your hands!” She whispered urgently. The cold blond looked at his hands.
“oh.” He gave his hands an emotionless once over. Then, he gave Sakura a pained glance. Then he looked back, with an expression that held unspeakable pain. He locked eyes with her, giving her his silent permission. She slid her sights from Tazuna to the spot where Naruto had sent a forlorn glance. A gentle hand descended on her shoulder.
“Come, girl. I’ll go with you. Then, you won’t be breaking orders.” The old man spoke softly. Sakura gave him a grateful look and ran in the direction Naruto had looked.
Naruto didn’t move. Every muscle, every nerve, every particle of his being screamed in pain at his loss. Yet, he could not even bring his face to show it.
“Hey boy.” Naruto opened his eyes a sliver.
“Are you-” Tazuna reached out and Naruto backed up in panic, eyes flaring in pain. Naruto shut his eyes, quelling every emotion, silencing every thought.
“Tazuna-san.” The single word was as cold as ice, and completely flat.
“Please go after her.” He finished in the same flat voice, eyes still closed. Tazuna nodded and hurried after the pinkette. Naruto didn’t turn to watch either of them as they moved closer and closer to the epicenter of his pain. Naruto kept his eyes closed until he heard Sakura’s scream. The sound tore open his inner wounds, slicing them wider and deeper, scoring them deep into his soul. The blond opened up his dead eyes, allowing a single tear to fall from his eyes. Just at that moment, the mists cleared away completely. Had Naruto not already lost everything, he would have found some part of him horrified at the scene displayed in front of him. Kakashi stood with his arm pushed through Haku’s chest, and his blood spattered over both Kakashi and Zabuza. Even in death, Haku’s face was set in an angelic smile. A single shard of pain sliced into Naruto’s heart at the sight.
I want to be useful to that man forever.
“Haha, Thank you Haku. Now don’t move, Kakashi.” The pale ninja brought up his blade. The motion seemed far too slow for it to be real in Naruto’s mind. He could see, the bulging of Zabuza’s muscles to carry the weighty sword on its deadly path. Anger, hot and purifying, exploded through the blond, churning like fire through his veins. Anger for Sasuke, Anger for Haku, Anger for himself, all that rage spun and tumbled together, before directing itself at one source; Zabuza.
Kakashi pulled experimentally on his embedded arm, and found it stuck firmly. He heard the swish of the blade, and danced backwards from the blade. As he fell back, he felt chakra being molded.
“Wind Style: Razor Edged Gale.”
Snapping his neck back, Kakashi sole a glance at his blond student in time to see him slash his arm as though it were a blade. The movement created a fast moving visible blade of distorted wind. The technique hit Zabuza’s blade knocking it aside. Naruto flashed through seals again.
“Wind Style: Great Wind From the North Mountain.”
This time a massive twister exploded from in front of him and swept up the pale stealth nin and shot forward off the bridged and exploded outwards.
“Naruto, Behind you!” Kakashi screamed and tried to dislodge his arm. The blonde looked behind him, and pushed off the ground into the air avoiding the sweep of Zabuza’s blade. Naruto flipped in the air and kicked off the big blade to land on the other side of the pale man. The blond turned to stab him with a kunai, but Zabuza stabbed his blade into the ground and kicked Naruto into the air. He hit the ground with a heavy thud. Kakashi, finally getting his arm loose jumped up to join the fight, when he saw it. The hateful, malevolent red chakra began bubbling and swirling around the blond.

Hatred, the powerful emotion became pure power itself, manifesting itself as an over whelming aura of death. Naruto pushed himself up onto his feet, feeling the power swirl around him like the winds of death themselves. The energy seeped up into him filling him up with a burning sensation throughout his whole body. He looked around himself and felt a savage grin crinkle his face. He could see the tendrils of red power wrapping around him, he flexed his power and smiled when wind spun off his hand.
“Zabuza-san. Right now, I don’t think that anyone hates more than I do.” The blond took a step forward. His eyes sparked, and his grin turned into a feral snarl.
“You caused all of my problems. You are the reason, that Sasuke is dead! You took the only person who ever stopped to care about me! And for what? I can’t ever forgive you!” The blond snapped and pushed off of the bridge, and reappearedd in front of the pale ninja. Naruto slashed a clawed hand across his face, smashing the man farther out. Suddenly, Naruto was on the other side of him and kncoking him back down onto the bridge. When, Zabuza stopped rolling on the ground, Naruto appeared back on the ground.
“Zabuza-san. You’re like a poison. When you appeared, you threatened everything I held dear. Now, you have stripped everything away from me, everything.” Naruto shut his eyes to ward against the flare of pain. When he opened his eyes, they were cold blue chips of ice.
“Now, Zabuza-san. I will take away your most precious thing.” Naruto reached up to place a finishing blow, when he saw a flash of emotion in the man’s eyes at his words.
What? What was that... It couldn’t have been.
Zabuza slashed out with his foot catching Naruto in a leg sweep, and sending him into the air. Zabuza flipped in the air and drew his blade. As the blond fell from the air, he slashed at him viciously. A black and grey blur appeared in between the two of them, and blocked the blade with a kunai. Kakashi, then spun off of the blade and Naruto himself in the air and landed on his hands and feet. Naruto launched himself at the swordsman, Zabuza slashed downwards and Naruto side stepped. The pale man sent a violent back knuckle at him, and Naruto ducked it, came up and kicked the offending hand. The resulting snap caused the pale silent killer to blanch in pain, but instead of backing up he spun and tried to land a blow with his other arm. Naruto dodged to the side with unnatural speed, and caught the man’s arm. Naruto locked eyes with Zabuza for single moment before he flexed his arms with an animalistic grin. This time Zabuza screamed as his arm was shattered. The cold blond let go and allowed the man to fall to the ground.
“You took everything away from me. Now I’m going to return the favor.” He said simply and placed his foot on the killer’s head.

Pain and hurt welled up in Sakura’s heart, so much so that it began to overflow. Hot tears poured from her eyes, and a choked sob broke from her even as she bit her lip to hold it all in. She could hear Tazuna behind her, she could feel his sympathy for her, but she gripped her hands together painfully. Her eyes were locked on the horror scene before her. Sasuke, her beloved Sasuke, lay on the ground with long deadly needles sticking out from his body. The deadly implements seemed everywhere, but the death blows, created a ring around his neck. She gasped for air, desperately trying to hold in her screams, her sorrow, her pain. She doubled over onto the ground, to hide her tears. She took a few moments before straightening up.
“Tazuna-san. While I was in the Academy, I was a good student, and when they gave us the Shinobi Bylaws, I dutifully memorized them. Then the next day, we were given a test. It asked a question on the Requirements of Shinobi in Combat. I wrote it down without any thought. A shinobi must never show any emotion under any circumstances, while on a mission.” She managed to gasp out the last sentence, before falling down on top of Sasuke, breaking into hot tears of grief. No thought of trying to hide her pain, her hurt, crossed her mind. She barely even felt Tazuna pat her on the back, all she felt was an awful, sharp pain of loss, that echoed down into her soul, and cut her deeper than any weapon ever could.
“You idiot. How dare you die on me. I.. I” She whispered down at his still warm body, and clutched it closer.
“I don’t think I can live without you. I do really l..love y-you.” The words fell from her mouth like bitter poison, torturous and haltingly. She couldn’t and wouldn’t stamp the flow of her tears. She let loose all of the sorrow in her hoping beyond hope that they would wash away his horrid mortall infirmity. She gave a final wracking sob, before biting her lip. With every tear spent, she slowly pushed off of his body. As she did so, she flinched at a sound. Her eyes widened and she pressed her head to his chest.
Ba-dump..... Ba-dump...
Sakura felt herself shaking, but didn’t get up, afraid that if she moved the illusion wold shatter, and she would be in front of a corpse again.
“Unh... Sakura? Uh, You’re heavy...” A small weak voice called out to her. Her head snapped up, eyes glazing over with tears of radiant joy.
“Sasuke? You’re alive?” Her voice was hoarse, from crying and the suddenness of his speech.
“Sakura? Whats going on? Am I dead?” His dark eyes searched hers out, and he tried to reach for her.
“Ah! Baka! Don’t move! You’re injured!” She whispered fiercely, quickly snatching his hand and stopping him from trying to get up.
“Where’s Naruto?” He said, his eyes starting to focus again.
“Sakura! Wheres that boy? You have to save Naruto!” He said urgently. Sakura shook her head.
“The boy is gone. He died protecting Zabuza.” She said softly.
“Sakura. You have to get to Naruto!” He whispered faintly, but his eyes glowed fiercely.
“What?”
“Naruto thought I was dead! Hell, I thought I was dead. That means he’s gonna do somethig really really stupid.” Sasuke grolwed, and coughed. Sakura blinked and shifted to get up.
“Crap. You’re right. Tazuna-san. Stay here.” Sakura said as she got up and ran towards the fighting ninja. As she got there she gasped, Naruto stood with his foot atop of Zabuza’s head as though ready to squish an annoying bug. She took a step forward only to be stopped by a hand. Her head flicked up to see a worried Kakashi.
“Sakura, don’t get any closer. Naruto has gone in too deep.” He murmured. She turned back to the blond boy, about to push Kakashi’s hand out of the way, when she noticed a difference about the boy. His whole being radiated killing intent so malicious, it froze her even from far away.
What happened to Naruto?!
Her eyes were wide and her heart was pained seeing the kind hearted boy reduced to such animalistic rage. This time she did push aside Kakashi’s hand.
“Naruto...” She uttered softly. The blond spun like lightning, and fixed his gaze on her. She froze, his piercing gaze transmitting so much hatred, so much pain, and anger, she almost started crying again.
“Naruto! Sasuke-kun is alive! Please! Stop! Please..” She yelled, trying to reach whatever dark place the Naruto she knew was hiding in. She opened her eyes after taking in a deep breath, and saw his red eyes softening in confusion.
“Sasuke... Alive?” His brain seemed to be working unusually slow.
“Yes, he’s ok. So please. Just stop. Come back to us!” She nearly sobbed out, and quickly cut herself off before she started crying for real. He blinked at her once, before his eyes shifted from red to the sparkling blue, his posture became more relaxed, his whole body radiated relief.
“He’s really alive?” he asked almost painfully.
“Heh, What a pathetic demon!” A loud voice interrupted from the side. The pink haired kunoichi, turned quickly to see the trespasser. It was a short man with frizzy white hair wearing a business suite and sunglasses.
“Hah, I pay for you to be doing the killing and yet I come and see you getting your butt handed to you by a youngster, no less.” He sneered at the pale man on the floor, then he seemed to notice Haku’s fallen body.
“Who the hell are you?” Naruto snarled.
“He’s my employer. Gatoh, whats with the guards?” Zabuza called out and struggled to stand. That was when Sakura noticed the fifty odd men behind the small man.
“Ah, well Zabuza. You see there’s been a change in plans. Well, not really. I planned on doign this the whole time. Hiring real ninja is too expensive, so I just pick up so missing nin, like yourself, and use ‘em till I don’t need ‘em. Then, Trash em. Its far more economical.” The man stopped talking as he reached Haku’s body.
“Ah, I remember this little piece of filth. I believe I owe you from my arms.” He said vindictively, and slammed his foot in Haku’s unmoving face.

“YOU! HOW DARE YOU! HE’S ALREADY DEAD YOU PATHETIC PIECE OF CRAP!” Naruto howled and jumped toward him, only to be caught by Kakashi.
“Heh, sorry you guys. It appears that I have no reason to continue this fight.” Zabuza said quietly as he go to his feet, then he turned to look at the mob.
“If you’ll excuse me. I have business to take care of.”
“YOU! HEY SAY SOMETHING! WASN’T HE YOUR FRIEND?!”
“Shut up kid. It’s like you said, Haku’s already dead.
“HOW DARE YOU! DIDN’T YOU TRAVEL TOGETHER? WEREN’T YOU WATCHING OUT FOR EACH OTHER?”
“Kid, you have a lot to learn. As I was used, so too did I use Haku. I didn’t want him. I wanted his Blood. His power. In our world, there is only those who use and those that are used.” He spat coldly at the blond, who was shaking with fury.
“THE HELL IT IS! DO YOU SEE THAT BOY!” Naruto screamed at pointed at Haku.
“He loved you.” He said softly, his eyes spoke of some inner pain.
“You were his most important person, His whole life, his dream was to serve you as a tool for your dream.”
I want to be useful to that man forever.
“All he wanted was to be wanted, needed by you, even if it was for your own selfish purposes. He was devoted to you, more than you probably ever realized! He threw himself into an attack meant for you!” Naruto finished by yelling, tears hovering at the edges of his eyes.
“His end ... was too cruel...” Naruto bit out, struggling to contain his tears. For a moment, Zabuza was silent facing away from him. Then he turned, and looked into Naruto’s moist eyes, with tears coming down his face.
“Enough boy. Don’t say anymore.” His voice was quiet and subdued. He turned back to face the men.
“I know, I didn’t and still don’t deserve any of Haku’s love or devotion. But know this boy. Haku, in this fight, did not just fight for me alone. He fought for you, and your friend. He included you into his love, and it pained him to fight you.” Naruto heard some tearing, and slipping of cloth.
“But in the end, I think I’m glad that we fought you. I think that you’re right. Ninja, stil humans, can never truly become emotionless tools.” He turned to Naruto once more.
“Kid, gimme your kunai.” Naruto felt a shift in Zabuza’s mood. He glanced down once at the kunai in his hand, then threw up at him. Zabuza snatched it into his mouth.
“Thanks, brat.” Then, he charged at Gatoh.
“HAHA! I’ve had enough!” He laughed, turning to his army.
“Kill ‘em all!” The mob yelled in excitement, and waved their weapons as they stepped forward to meet their severely injured foe. Naruto felt the flare of incredible blood lust exploding from Zabuza, and witnessed the fear on the Mercenaries’ faces, as zabuza smashed into the wall of men. The pale stealth nin moved cut through them like a hot knife thorugh butter, easily dispatching men left and right with just the kunai in his mouth. When, he finally burst through the living wall and faced his target, he was covered in new wounds and had several weapons sticking from his back and sides. But still he powered on, giving out that demonic aura of death.
“COME GATOH! LET US DESCEND INTO THE PITS OF HELL! THEN, WE’LL SEE WHAT A PATHETIC DEMON YOU’VE HIRED!” He roared around the kunai as he slashed across the business man’s chest, then his face and finally lopping off his head with a monumental slash. As Gatoh’s head hit the ground and rolled off to the side, Zabuza collapsed with a small sigh.
“AH! This idiot’s killed our meal ticket!”
“Hey, how’re we gonna get paid!”
“Let’s kill him!”
The mercenaries, seeing that Zabuza had clearly fallen, began working themselves into a rage over loosing their payment. Suddenly, one man shouted to pillage the island. Then, all of the mercenaries were screaming to get in on it. They turned to the tired Konoha Nin, and raised their weapons.
“Heh, we’re going to take whatever is valuable from that village, for stealing our paycheck!” A man chroused from the front. Naruto stood firm, completely still. His eyes were cold as ice, and they transmitted his complete hate and disgust. Just as the Mercenaries were about to charge a single arrow hit the ground.
“If you even think about coming to our Island. The people of this village will stop youwith everything they have.” A chorus of voice chanted from behind. Spinning, Naruto looked to see who they were. There in the front of the crowd was little Inari, wielding his crossbow. He waved at Naruto, and yelled.
“Hey, sorry about being late! But a Hero’s gotta make an entrance!” Pride swelling up in his chest, Naruto allowed a small smile to grace his lips.
“Baka, if you’re always late you’ll miss the good parts!” He yelled back, then turned back to the mercenaries. They glared back defiantly at the newcomers, but seemed disheartened slightly. Then, Kakashi formed a seal.
“Shadow Clone Technique!” Suddenly there was a line of Kakashi, geared up and ready to brawl at the front of the small crowd.
“Do you want some now?” The Kakashi called together. The Mercenaries dropped their weapons and made a mad dash back to the boat at the end of the bridge. Naruto took a deep breath, and began weaving seals.
“Oi, Since you blithering idiots are in such a rush, allow me to help y’all!” he called happily and finished the last seal.
“Water Style: Twin Headed Snake!” There was a roar and two cyclones of water shot up on either side of the bridge, and slammed down hard at the edge of it sweeping away the last of the vermin.
“NARUTO! Since when were you able to use Suiton? (Water Style)” Kakahsi whispered and dispelled his clones. Naruto opened his mouth to answer but instead fell on his butt as a rush of weariness rolled over him.
“Later, Kakashi-sensei.” Naruto mumbled sleepily.
“K..Kaka..shi..” A small hoarse voice called out to them, drawing the jonin’s attention. Naruto’s eyes widened as he saw the origin of the voice.
“Zabuza?!”
“Kakashi... Please... I.. have a... a request...”
“Hmm.”
“Please, let... let me see him....Once more...” Kakashi knelt down next to the pale man and gently swept him off the ground, and brought him next to Haku. Zabuza forced himself to turn and face his young charge, he reached up and stroked the young boy’s face.
“Haku... You were always too kind...Haku...... If I could.. I want to go where you are..” He whispered. Naruto bit his lip, at the show of obvious emotion, and looked up to avoid the tears spilling down his face, when he felt a small cold drop on his cheek.
“It’s snowing!”
“It can’t be. Not at this time of the year!”
Naruto raised a hand to capture the perfect white snowflakes.
“You came from a snowy village, Haku. Are you crying, then, from heaven?” He mumbled through the lump in his throat. He wiped away the tear trails on his face as he heard Kakashi speak quietly.
“So passes the Demon of Kirigakure, and the boy whose heart was as pure as the fallen snow.”