TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Shattered Spirit by bronzelord

[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 18
“Naruto-kun, Kill me.”
“Why are you here!”
Flashback
Slashing his arm to the side, Naruto marked the place on the tree where he felt his chakra shift. He was about to fly up the tree again, when he felt a presence coming. A tall, slender, long haired girl stepped into the clearing carrying a basket. She took a step in and Naruto launched a kunai that hit in front of her. She jumped back in fright, looking up at him in stunned shock.
“Uh... Hello?” Her big brown eyes communicated her fear.
“Who are you? What are you doing?” He said in an ice cold voice. She stared back at him, before putting down the basket.
“My name is Haku. I came here to look for herbs.” Naruto grimmaced, but lowered his kunai.
“Why are you looking for herbs?”
“A person very dear to me, was hurt. I just want to help him recover.” The girl gave him a soft smile. Naruto stepped out and studied the strange person. She was a girl, he thought. Wearing a pink Yukata, with a large white ribbon around her waist and a choker around her neck. Her long black hair cascaded down her back and around her face. When he got close to her, she smiled and began to pick plants. He just watched her, for a moment. She moved carefully through the plants studying them before either picking it or moving on. A wave of fatigue shot through him, he swayed on his feet. Haku gave him a strange look, and moved closer.
“Are you ok-” Naruto didn’t hear the rest, as his body collapsed and he drifted off into oblivion.
Eyes snapping open, Naruto jumped up. He glanced around and found he was laying down in the shade of a tree. He gave a confused look around him, and jumped at the sound to his side.
“Oh, You’re awake. I was worried.” The long haired girl, said and came closer. Naruto backed up slightly, as the girl closed in. Seeing his discomfort, she smiled and sat down a comfortable distance away.
“You feinted. I brought you here.” Naruto studied her with cold eyes.
“How long was I out?”
“Not long. Maybe and hour or two.” This earned a sigh from him.
“Were you doing something urgent?”
“Urgent? Not so much. I was... training...” The girl turned her head to the side.
“As in Ninja training?” She waited until he nodded.
“Ahh that is good. You must want to become very strong.” Once again, he only nodded to her sentiment.
“You know what I think? I think that one is only at their most powerful, and experiences the most strength when they are defending those they hold dear.” Her soft brown eyes were honest and open.
“Hmmm... Your name was Haku? I think that you are very wise. That is why I am training. I intend to become the strongest ninja the world has ever seen. I want to become so strong, that no one will be able to hurt my friends, or take them away from me.” The blond was speaking quietly and drew his knees to his chin.
“I think that is a very good goal. I have a similar goal, I wish to be useful to my most important person. I wish to remain useful to him for the rest of my life.” Her eyes, communicated her devotion to this unknown person. Naruto locked eyes with her, their eyes communicating more than any words could.
“So you want to be useful forever? Who is this person? Is he your father? Or husband?” Naruto asked, to extend the conversation.
“Hmmm.... He is neither.” She seemed very amused at that.
“He found me when I was young, and raised me as his own. I am forever grateful to him, and will follow him anywhere.”
“What happened to your family?” Naruto asked, suddenly interested.
“My... parents died. when I was very young. He found me soon afterwards.” She seemed lost in another world.
“Hmm... It must have been nice to have parents. Even for a short while. I’ve never known who my parents were. All I know is that they died, on the day of my birth. I’ve grown up without them, and with a lot of other problems.” Naruto replied without thinking.
“What kind of problems?” Haku said suddenly.
“Ahh, well I was alone, for one. No one ever wanted me. I was an orphan. And on top of that, my village dispised me. They hated me for no apparent reason. I was pushed aside. But everytime I came into contact with the villagers, it ended badly, usually with me in the hospital.” Naruto spoke hollowly. He wasn’t in the clearing with Haku anymore, his mind was elsewhere, in darker times.
“When I was six, I was caught by these men. They tied me up and spent hours beating me. They started out with just their fists and feet. But then they got drunk. Suddenly, they were beating me with broom handles and anything else they could find. Then, they left me there. They left me in the dark room for what seemed like days. When they came back there were more of them. They started beating me again, this time, they yelled at me. They called me a monster, and a demon. They cursed me and spat on me. They beat me for a long time. Then, one man started burning me with his ciggarette, then another then another. When, I thought they were going to kill me, they pulled back and left me alone in the dark. When they came back again, there were only four of them. They took their time hurting me. They would laugh when I screamed or when I would beg them to stop. In the end, they ended up beating me till an inch of my life... and ... and .. defiled me.” He spat out, his eyes closed as if trying to ward against the horrors against him.
“I blacked out. And came to in a Hospital room. There was a nurse, and a doctor in the room. Both of them looked like they had been crying, and when they noticed I was awake they tried to get me to talk. They tried to be gentle, but I couldn’t speak to anyone for three months. I never forgot the faces of the four men who did that to me. I never saw them again.” His voice was hoarse, and weighted down with emotion. He jerked up when he felt a small hand on his shoulder. The girl had tears flowing down her face.
“They had no right. They were the monsters.” She whispered gently.
“Naruto...”
“Hmm?”
“My name. Its Naruto.”
“Naruto. They were the monsters. Those villagers. I understand your pain, Naruto-kun. It was the people in my village that took my parents from me. I don’t remember much of it, but I remember a mob, and my parents blood.” Haku pulled the blond into a comforting hug.
“Naruto. If you don’t mind answering, why are you a ninja? As a ninja you would have to serve those same Villagers who wronged you all those years.” Naruto studied the porcelain face before answering.
“After what happened to me, I believed that they were right, that I was a monster, that the only ones who could have ever loved me were not here. So I tried very hard to join them wherever they were.” Haku hid a small gasp.
“But one day, a boy saved me from myself. His beliefs in moral uprightness, was so strong that couldn’t forgive those who had hurt me, but still didn’t allow me to waste my ‘precious’ life. He was the first person to tell me that I had worth, that I was wanted. I live for him. I live and fight to protect his dream. He believes in the village, in the honor that binds living beings. I want to be strong so that I can have a place in his future. But also, because of him. I have found others who have acknowledged my life. Through him, I have a reason to live again. I owe him my life.” Naruto leaned back against the tree, and watched Haku.
“Naruto-kun, the two of us are living horror stories. But we both seem to have happiness now. I’m glad that we were able to talk. I hope that one day you will find your own dream to follow.” Haku stood and stretched.
“Ah, the day is moving on, and so must I Naruto-kun. I wish you much luck. And may you have lasting happiness.” Haku gathered up her possessions and took a step forward but turned back.
“Oh and for your information. I’m a boy.” Shock exploded on his face.
“No way!” He gasped, as Haku walked out of the clearing. Naruto sat leaning on the tree, pondering their conversation.
“Dobe? Where are you? Are you napping?” An irrate voice snapped from the forest.
“Ah, Sasuke. I’m over here.” He called back, and smiled at the raven haired teen as he strode into view.
“You were missing for a while. We were nervous.” His onyx eyes clearly transmitted that Kakashi and Sakura were waiting back at the house.
“They didn’t want to come look?”
“I told them to stay with Tazuna-san, that I’d drag you back if necessary.” Naruto nodded, with a smile.
“Alright, but before we go can I try something first?” Sasuke studied him, and then nodded. Naruto stood up and looked up the tree. Then he lept on it and ran straight up it. He went straight to the top branch and stood atop the world, before climbing back down. Sasuke gave him an approving smile.
“You finally got it down, huh Dobe?” He jeered and began walking away.
“Hey sasuke?” The raven turned to see a smiling blond.
“Thanks.” Naruto spoke the single word with a bright smile. Sasuke shook his head, but returned the smile.
“Ok Dobe. I don’t know what happened, but you seem happier. I’m glad. Come on, they’re waiting for us.”
END FLASHBACK

“You!? You had to know who I was! Why the hell didn’t you kill me then!” Naruto whispered in anguish. The taller boy gave him a sad smile.
“I couldn’t. I could sense that you and I had much in common. And I was right. We are very alike.”
“No, we aren’t.” Naruto swore.
“You tried to kill Zabuza-san. He was the man who saved me when I was young.”
“YOU KILLED SASUKE!! HE WAS THE ONE WHO SAVED MINE!” Naruto screamed, tears flowing openly down his cheek.
“Yes, Naruto. I killed him. Now you have to kill me.” Naruto blanched.
“What?
“Yes, you must. I failed. I don’t have a purpose anymore.”
I want to be useful to that man forever.
“No, there has to be another way.” Haku shook his head slowly.
“No, Naruto. We both know, thats not going to happen. You need to avenge Sasuke, and I want to disappear. I’ve lost my will to live, will you curse me to an empty existance?” Haku’s eyes spoke of his inner torment. Naruto gritted his teeth, his eyes on the boy, a person who finally understood him, when he closed his eyes. When he opened them again, they were cold and hard.
“As you wish, Haku.” Naruto pulled a kunai from his holster and dashed at the boy. A grateful smile bloomed on his features.
Don’t smile, don’t thank me for this. You’re a cruel one, Haku.
He brought up his kunai to cut down the boy, when a flash of alarm crossed his face. Haku snatched Naruto’s arm and held it tight.
“Gomen Nasai, Naruto-kun. It appears I cannot die yet.” He whispered in a rushed tone. He formed a single seal with one hand. Naruto stared, and cursed as Haku vanished into the mist. Naruto, stared at the spot where the Ice user had stood, before he felt a shockwave, the release of a powerful technique. Naruto searched against the mist, and noticed that they were failing, becoming less dense. Stiffining he saw two figures ahead of him, and prepared for attack.
“NARUTO!” The blond blinked once, before recognizing that loud voice.
“Sakura?”
“Naruto, you’re ok!” She ran to him, with Tazuna in tow. She gave him a smile, and he felt the pressure in his chest lessen.
“Sakura, you’re alive.” His voice cracked. She gave him a wierd look.
“Naruto, whats wrong?” Then she took in the empty space.
“Where’s Sasuke?” The question ripped a whole in his chest, he closed his eyes and couldn’t even look at her.
“Naruto... Where is Sasuke?”