TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Mangoes and Oranges by DigiAnimeArtist

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2

Keyhole

Daichi ran through the snow throwing snowballs at Hinata. His mother, Kyo, was on the balcony holding a cup of coffee as she stayed wrapped in a thick robe. He shouted and laughed as Hinata came after him with his own snowballs. Daichi quickly moved to jump behind a pile of firewood. "You're not going to get me!"

Kyo sipped her hot coffee as Daichi sprinted out from behind the firewood to make a run for another location. Hinata was chasing him outright. "If you two get the firewood wet, it won't be of any use later." She moved her head at the sound of a shoji screen opening. A horrible, rough appearing Asuka emerged from her apartment wearing nothing more than a dress that was falling off her shoulders. "I see you went out on another date," she commented.

Asuka Ueda looked at Kyo with a half-awake expression. She yawned hard, her head falling forward, and shoulders slumping. Her bare feet moved along the snow covered balcony. She looked down. "It snowed," she said unaware of it before.

"Glad to see nothing gets past you," Kyo commented under her breath. She wondered what was behind Asuka's goal of dating men every chance she had. There's a reason why she's never here. She's always chasing some man from Ohara. Whether he's a tourist, or is local, it doesn't matter. Yet, I suppose she's running from something like everyone here. I think the only one who isn't running from anything is Hinata.

Hinata fell back as a snowball hit him square in the face. He covered his nose. "Watch it, Daichi. I haven't once aimed at your face."

Daichi moved from side to side on his feet as if he were a kick boxer. "Come on, Hinata. Are you a chicken?" He laughed lifting his arm to throw the snowball.

"Yes, I'm a wounded bird," Hinata said as he rolled over just in time for the snowball to hit his back. He felt Daichi jump on his legs to pull his shirt. "You're abusing an animal. Don't you like to go to the zoo?"

Daichi yelped as Hinata rolled over to pin him on the ground. "I've never been to the zoo," he said trying to push the man's leg off of his body. "Arg."

"We leave in fifteen minutes, Daichi," Kyo said as she turned around to go back inside. "Perhaps a cup of coffee from downstairs would do you good," she commented to Asuka. Kyo went in to get ready for work.

Mizu made her way downstairs. Her feet padded on the steps as she passed a woman who appeared to be half asleep. She hadn't seen her earlier that night so was unsure of who she was. Mizu didn't give her a second glance as she headed for the entrance. She slipped her shoes on and was opening the door.

Chiyoko wiped her hands as she greeted Mizu from the entrance way to the kitchen area. "Are you not staying for breakfast? It's cold out there. A nice hot breakfast will help keep you warm."

"No thanks. I have to get to the antique shop to talk to my father's old worker. He's the one giving me the job," Mizu said as she flung the door open. She started walking not paying attention to where she was going. Mizu tensed as she ran into something firm and tall. She looked up to see Hinata's dark eyes watching her. Mizu blushed hard. It took her a moment to find her voice. "Ex-Excuse me," she stammered making her way around him.

Daichi shook the snow out of his hair as he watched the new tenant leave Tokodeki. "How come she's going outside this early?" He flung his coat to the floor.

Hinata pushed Daichi forward to get out of the entranceway. His head was focused on the back of the young woman as she made her way through the snow and down the mountain. I feel like I know her from somewhere.

"Your father and I go way back. He gave me my first job at the grocery store he ran many years ago. I heard he sold it to make way for a larger retail store," Takahiro Kimura said as he gestured Mizu to take off her coat. He took her coat and hung it on a rack by the door. "I've only been in Ohara a few years. The antique business does pretty well in these parts. There's a lot of history here with the hot springs and local shrines. Winter months are a bit uninteresting though, I won't lie. We do a lot of inventory and preservation of the antiques."

Mizu nodded as she looked around at the objects on the walls, shelves, and in the casings. "Some of these are really old. There is a lot of memories floating around in this place," she said softly.

"Now you know why I opened this place," Takahiro said as he opened a cabinet to show her what was inside. "See a lot of old jewelry that comes here is from people who have to sell it. They need the money, in other words." He showed her an old necklace with pearls on the end strung into a diamond shape. "This one in particular came from a young woman whose grandmother had passed away. She had been carrying it around with her for months after the old woman's death. It seems she had to sell it in order to save the house. Everything here, has a story," he said putting it back.

Mizu walked with him around the store to get familiar with the building. She learned where everything was kept so cleaning wasn't going to be a problem. Mizu was listening to Takahiro talk about the artifacts when she rounded the corner to see a spiraling staircase lead up into the ceiling. A small opening was closed above them. "Where does that lead?"

Takahiro put his hands on his hips. "Sometimes I use it for extra storage, but I'm afraid the building isn't able to hold much. The boards are weak from years of rain damage. See, when I first bought the place, there was water dripping down from that area all the way to where it flowed down the staircase," he said pointing to the dark spaces underneath the wooden steps. "If you choose to go up there, for any reason, make sure I'm with you. I don't want you to fall through the floor."

Mizu walked off with him glancing over her shoulder at the staircase. It was unusual to her to see something like that. To her, it didn't fit the appearance of the antique store at all. It was as if it was added as a last thought and wasn't in the original design.

Takahiro moved to the back of the register where he went through an entrance that lead further into the back of the store. Mizu followed after him. "This is where I keep all of the supplies for the antiques: boxes, wrapping paper, foam to insulate the breakables – anything you need, I have it. Now, as for dress code," he said smiling at her with his hand pointing to her clothing. "You don't have to dress so formal for this place. I don't want you to ruin your good clothes. Come in wearing jeans or clothing you can spare to get dirty and rip. I'm always catching my sleeves on the edges of things," he said showing her tears in his shirt.

"For today, I'll just show you how to do inventory. There are literally hundreds of different classifications in this store for objects. It takes hours and sometimes days to go through everything. I have to do it for tax purposes," Takahiro said handing her a clipboard filled with paper.

Mizu took the clipboard. There was certainly a lot written on it. She followed Takahiro out of the room to get started.

Emi Wakahisa looked out the window at the snow falling on the ground outside. She wondered if she'd have to try and bike back home, or if someone would pick her up. She glanced at the teacher who was talking about the past history of Japan. Her eyes drifted across the room at each individual. Everyone here had someone to talk to, but her. Emi picked up her pencil as if she was writing down what the teacher was saying.

Emi's pencil scratched softly against the notebook as she drew the tenants at the apartment complex. First she drew old Chiyoko, the landlady who seemed to always be carrying something. A soft and gentle smile was placed on the woman's face. Emi drew the main scenic room around her.

Next, Emi decided to draw Daichi in the air posing with a snowball in his hand – just like that morning. She drew him with an excited face. When she got to Hinata, she drew him with a shocked expression matched with bird feathers coming out of his sides. Emi giggled to herself.

"I am not sure what is funny about the Edo period of Japan, Ms. Wakahisa, but I suggest you get it off your mind," the teacher said with an annoyed comment. The man gave her a glare that would freeze a cat's movements. All of the students turned their heads to look at her. "Some of us want to learn and pass the course."

Emi averted her eyes as she stared at the paper. As the teacher continued to speak, she put her hand over her mouth. Hinata's chicken picture kept echoing 'baaa-kahhh' in her mind. Emi shyly looked up at the teacher. The man was back in his routine. She closed the notebook slowly, feeling ashamed of herself.

Mizu walked down the street carrying a bag of food back to the antique shop. A woman dressed as an Oharame, a peddler in an indigo kimono stopped in front of Mizu. She tried to go around the woman with flowers on her head, but the woman raised her hand slowly to stop her. Mizu's eyes went over the kimono itself. It appeared to be a summer worn kimono. It was out of season. The woman's face seemed cold and emotionless. "Excuse me, but my boss is expecting me."

The woman moved aside to let Mizu by, but as the girl walked past her, she turned her head. "There is a tale of these parts of a young girl, like yourself, who fell in love with a farm laborer." The girl stopped to look over her shoulder. "Would you like to hear the story behind it?"

Mizu wasn't familiar with the history of Ohara, or the legends it seemed to contain. She wondered if the woman was going to beg her for money to hear the story. "How much does it cost?"

"No cost at all to a new resident," the woman said with a graceful voice. The lights down the street started to turn on. "There once was a young mistress who worked at Sanzen-in Temple helping keep the temple free of dust. She was a hard working girl who had a contract with the Temple to work for food during a rough period in our economy.

As with many laborers, she learned quickly to avert her eyes when superiority came along and when not to speak. Her dark eyes were the only things seen behind her long hair most of the time when she was working. Unlike most women who kept their hair tied back, the young woman chose not to do so. She found it easier to gaze upon the people entering the temple and not be caught."

The Oharame continued her tale. "Laborers weren't the only ones employed by the temple to keep the grounds clear of debris. Farmers also helped feed the monks and those with wealth who often visited the temple. In the time of famine, the ones with money are taken care of first. Thus, the farmers had to give up most of their crops to the Lords who reigned over the people.

One farmer, had a son who was humble and kind to all those around him. Without his father knowing, the son started to hide some of the crops from the Lord's men who checked the farms. The boy was trying to keep his family and his community alive. That is enough for now. It is getting too cold for my taste. Perhaps another time," she said as she turned around to leave. The Oharame walked around the corner of a building into an alley.

Mizu followed her. "Why did you stop at the beginning of the story?" She turned the corner. Mizu's eyes looked around the area. It was a dead end. Where did she go? Was the woman a ghost? Mizu didn't normally believe in such things. She took one last look at the area before rounding the corner for the antique shop.

Yuuma Fukai sat in his comfortable chair looking out the window at the snow covered trees. "How long do you think it's going to remain winter," he asked. His hands moved over the blanket that was around his lower body.

"Winter lasts a long time, Yuuma. Every season is four months," Hinata said as he watched his friend's tired eyes search the area. "Birds won't be back until then. It's too cold for them now."

"I'd like to see one," Yuuma said as Hinata removed his slippers. He tensed a little at his cold feet entering hot water. Yuuma looked down to see the man folding the legs up to keep them from getting wet. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Hinata."

"You'd probably sit here and be a vegetable if I didn't come over to keep you company at times," he said as she sat on his rear. He thought Yuuma looked unreasonably pale today. "I saw the car had been moved. You were out driving when your parents were gone, weren't you?" Yuuma only looked at him with a soft smile. "You're not supposed to be out. Your health is at risk."

"I had to get out of this house," Yuuma said looking around at the same walls and objects he saw every day. "I'd like to get a job and support myself. It doesn't favor me to move back in with my parents because I'm sick."

"Well, if you keep going out against doctor orders, you won't have to worry about what your parents think," Hinata said. "You'll die quicker," he said to the point. "I'm trying to keep you around. You may not realize it, but I'm fond of you," he said getting up with his hand placed on his knee for support.

"I'm fond of you, too," Yuuma said as he started to close his eyes. He felt exhausted. Maybe it was the weather. He couldn't be too sure. The drive the previous day had only been to see Ohara and its people out. His parents stayed away from him when they were at home. His mother only poked her head in the room on occasion to see if there was anything he needed before retreating back to the main house. Yuuma figured his parents thought they were going to catch his disease. "I'm sorry I disobeyed you," he said apologizing.

Hinata walked over with a heavier blanket to put on Yuuma as he started to drift off to sleep. "No you're not," he said softly. He knew Yuuma hated to be in the house. It was a tomb for him. What he wouldn't give to have a bigger place to help take care of him himself.

Asuka kicked her shoes off as she entered Tokodeki. She took off her wet scarf and coat to hang on the wall. "It's getting worse outside. If we're not caved in tomorrow from all the snow, I'll be surprised," she said as she passed Chiyoko.

Chiyoko went to retrieve the coat and scarf. She slung them over her arm. The old landlady preceded to walk down the hall to the laundry room.

Asuka walked up the stairs slowly. She sensed someone was lurking around the second floor. In fact, Asuka took out her keys for good measure. There was a large metal figure on the end.

Noburu Mori moved along the hall checking to see if anyone was home yet. So far, most of the rooms were empty. He put a metal device in the door to Kyo's apartment. His hands started to fiddle with the lock trying to get it open. As he grunted working, his other hand kept trying to click the doorknob open.

Asuka frowned. Noburu was up to no good. She walked towards him quietly. He was so focused on his work of breaking in, that he didn't hear her approaching. Asuka lowered her head to where it was right behind his. She put her hands on her hips. "What do you think you're doing?"

Noburu tensed. He turned around slowly to see an angry Asuka glaring at him. "N-No-thing," he said as she stood taller than him.

"Nothing, my ass!" Asuka came around with the keychain in her hand. She hit the boy several times on the head until he screamed for mercy.

Kenshin came running down the steps thinking there was an attacker in the building. He rounded the corner and flew down the hallway. In his sight he saw Asuka beating Noburu over the head with her keys. "Asuka, what's going on?" He stopped putting his hands up pleading her to explain her actions.

"This little mole was breaking into Kyo's room," she said angrily hitting him again, even harder for good measure.

Noburu's hands tensed with the amount of pain now increasing on his precious head. He fell over to shield himself from any further attacks by Asuka. "Have mercy! Mercy! I implore you!"

Kenshin put his hand up to stop Asuke from beating the boy senseless. He moved back to look down at the thin boy. "Why were you breaking into Kyo's room?" Noburu shielded his face from the man. "Answer me."

Noburu took his hands away from his face. "I only wanted to take some of the leaves off her succulent plant. Nothing more," he said justifying his actions.

"So instead of waiting until Kyo got home to ask her, you decided to break into her apartment? That makes a long of sense," Asuka said kicking the boy in the leg. He grimaced. "What is so important about a plant?"

Kenshin pinched his nose. "Was it something to put on your alter? The one intended for your mother?" Noburu nodded slowly as he laid upon the floor in the hall. "Stealing isn't going to appease your mother's spirit. It might make her angry if you put something gotten by ill means upon the alter."

Noburu finally sat up rubbing his head. He had huge bumps all over his head from Asuka's keys. "I'm sorry. I knew Kyo wouldn't give me the leaves off her plant. That's why I was going to take a few anyway."

Asuka rolled her eyes. "How do you know she wasn't going to give you any? You could have simply asked. You don't know that," she repeated.

"Kyo wouldn't have given up the plant," Kenshin said softly. He looked at Asuka. "It was one of the objects retrieved from her home before her divorce. It must have had some significance to her."

"You've been spying on her, too," Noburu said as he got up to hold Kenshin's hands in a brotherly gesture. He figured they now shared a bond that couldn't be broken. He yelped as Asuka kicked him in the leg.

"No, I haven't been spying on her," Kenshin said much to Noburu's disappointment. "When she first moved in, I saw how attentive she was to the plant. She had refused Daichi from carrying it in. In fact, it was one of the first objects she carried into the apartment. Perhaps she was thinking that if she brought it along, life wouldn't seem so bad for her here. Often, it's hard to let things go in our past – especially memories that we have of better times."

Asuka looked at Kenshin sadly. It was apparent the man was in love with Kyo. He admired her, despite Kyo pushing him off with every effort he made.

"What are you three doing hanging around my door," Kyo said as she raised a brow with a cigarette in her mouth. Her long orange hair fell from her hat as she removed it.

"We thought there was a water leak. We kept tracing the sounds," Kenshin said to cover what had really gone on. He looked down to see Noburu scurrying away quickly. Asuka soon caught on to his movements and chased him down the hall with her keys over her head in an attempted strike. Kenshin shook his head. "How was work," he asked trying to make conversation.

"It was work. How else is it supposed to be," Kyo said moving past him. She put her key into the doorknob. Kyo turned her head to see Kenshin watching her. "Is there something you need?"

Kenshin apologized embarrassed at his stare. "No, I'm sorry for the intrusion," he said turning around. He put his hand on his forehead. It was near impossible to break down the wall Kyo had up.

Mizu washed her hair in the women's bathroom. She sat on the stool thinking about the Oharame she had seen earlier that night. It was unclear to her who the woman was or why she had chosen to tell Mizu a story out of nowhere. Why me? Of all people on the sidewalk, why me?

She stared at the water running from the showerhead as it went down the drain in the floor. Mizu couldn't figure it out. She was still getting adjusted to being on her own. It was strange for her. No one was here to tell her how to dress, how to speak, or what to do with her time. It felt odd for her not being rushed to lessons her mother had planned for her. Mizu had felt caged in her own home. She hadn't had a life outside of her parents rules and expectations.

The steam in the bathroom masked the light overhead. She found herself tilting backwards looking up at the light as if it were something spectacular. Mizu became lost in thought of herself. She wanted to get to know the people in the apartment complex, but would she be able to step outside of her own comfort zone to do so? She had no idea. In the past, she had always stayed by herself immersed in her studies.

"You're wasting a lot of water," a voice said from behind Mizu. She turned around startled to see Emi behind her. Where did she come from? She reached forward to grab the shower head again to wash the shampoo out of her hair.

"I didn't mean to startle you. You seemed lost in thought about something," Emi said as she started to scrub her arms. "I'm Emi, remember? I live in the apartment building," she said trying to be friendly despite the other woman's quietness. "Are you here… for relaxation, or pleasure?"

Mizu turned the water off. She let her arms hang between her legs as her head leaned forward. "I don't know why I'm here," she said softly to no one.

Emi blinked. "Well, if you don't know why you're here, then you'll fit in with everyone else. We're all running from something – I think it's ourselves," Emi said in a sudden adult tone of voice. "My grandfather died so I have nowhere to go really."

"You don't have any parents," Mizu asked.

"Oh, I have parents. They didn't raise me. My grandfather died. Both of them had me young and it was against their timing, so they went off to pursue what they wanted. By the time they were ready to take me in, I was already sixteen. I don't want to move in with strangers who think they know what's best for me. I know what's best for me. I can stay here with strangers that are more interesting," Emi said happily as she began to wash the soap off.

Mizu was surprised a girl that young could face the world on her own. She supposed she had to find the courage in herself to do it, too. Perhaps, she could be a role model for Emi. They weren't that far apart in age. Starting tonight, she'd get to know everyone in the apartment building. In fact, Mizu was making it her goal.

Mizu walked into the large room expecting to find everyone enjoying the fire like they had the night she had arrived. However, the place was scarce of life. The fire wasn't blazing. Mizu's eyes moved around the room. It seemed awfully empty. Chiyoko wasn't giving out drinks, or attending to anyone. They must only get together when they have time. It is a week night.

Mizu wondered if there were any games to play. She searched the pantry and cupboard for a deck of cards, but couldn't find them. Hmm, I haven't looked over there in those storage areas. She moved across the room, her feet padding on the tatami floor. Sliding the shoji screen aside, Mizu saw a person hiding in there. She screamed and fell backwards.

"Oh, great, now I have to hide somewhere else," Riku said as he came out of the closet. "Honestly, does everyone in your family jump at the slightest things," he said with a serious attitude. It wasn't like he wanted to be playing hide-n-seek anyway.

"I heard a scream," Emi said as she ran to the room with Daichi. They both stopped to see Mizu on the floor. "Riku, what did you do to her?"

"I did nothing to her," he said adjusting his glasses. "I'm out. It was a ridiculous game anyway," he said shuffling off with his hands in his pockets to leave the room.

"You're the one who suggested it," Daichi said angrily. He crossed his arms. "Everyone promised to play with me before I had to go to bed," he griped.

"Fine," Riku said stopping. He popped his head over his shoulder. "Hinata's hiding behind the statue in the hallway. That ought to liven you up a bit."

Daichi bounced on his feet. He turned around as if he were cat finally figuring out where the mouse was. He ran out of the room at full force.

"That's cheating, Riku," Emi said. She heard Hinata yelp as he was tagged by Daichi. "Riku told where you were," Emi yelled at the top of her lungs.

Mizu got up slowly. Everyone was playing a game? "I thought everyone had retired to their rooms for the night," she said kind of taken aback.

"What? No, usually we're trying to keep Daichi occupied when Kyo has to work late," Emi said. Hinata walked into the room. Daichi was off to find another hiding person in the building.

Hinata glared at Riku. The man wasn't even acknowledging the extent of what he had done. "Do you realize he jumped me so hard I almost broke that statue?"

"Next time, choose somewhere safer to hide," Riku countered.

"How about next time, I knock that smirk off your face for cheating," Hinata said as he tensed his arms.

Mizu looked from Riku to Hinata. They seemed to not be the type to get along with each other. "Good night," she found herself saying. She walked quickly past the two males. It was a mistake to try and get to know these people. Everyone was so much different than her.

"Ah, wait," Emi said chasing her. "They didn't mean it," she said trying to make Mizu understand. "Riku is a poor sport. He hates doing anything that makes him get off his laptop. And Hinata doesn't like cheaters. Riku is always ruining our fun. He's too serious for his own good."

Mizu stopped half way up the stairs. "They scare me. All of them," she said softly. "I'm not used to being around people who are so open. All of my life I've been told what to do and how to act. I don't know how to act in this situation," she said excusing herself.

Emi held her hand up for Mizu to stop, but the words didn't come out of her mouth.