Invictus by Sinwar
Summary: After 9 years of war, a worn out Naruto returns to the leaf village but he is not the same as many of his old friends will notice.War scars both the flesh and the mind as the cold reach of death approaches , how will Naruto regain the shattered pieces of his sanity?
“But after the last drop of blood is shed and the hunt is over….you will look inside yourself and realize that you have become the same as the monster you have hunted for so long.”
Categories: General Fiction > Naruto, General Fiction > Timeskip, General Fiction > Naruto Shippuuden Characters: All
Genres: Tragedy
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 7928 Read: 3491 Published: 01/04/09 Updated: 05/04/09

1. Marks of war by Sinwar

2. The dream by Sinwar

3. Ambush by Sinwar

Marks of war by Sinwar
Chapter 1
Marks of war



It was late as the hooded man lay there in the cold, damp grass, watching the leafs falling, slowly guided by a genttel breeze .He stood amongst 3 wooden pillars in the middle of the forest gleaming brilliant crimson and chrome in the light of the setting sun.

“I once told Sasuke …”how can I be hokage when I can’t even save one friend”
I wonder….Did I save you....Sasuke?

The peaceful look on his face turned in an angry grin as a an old memory crawled out of the dark corner of his mind.

*Flashback*

Blood dripped down the katana as he raised it to Narutos neck..”Fight me, why do you stand there and do nothing? He questioned pressing the katana to his neck slightly piercing the skin.

“Because I want to see…Sasuke.
“If our bond is stronger then your lust for power…I want to see …who you truly are.”Naruto replied leaning slowly on the katana.
Sasuke smiled lowering his blade to his abdomen..”You have no idea..Naruto”
You have no idea how I am…with that said Sasuke thrusted the sword in his abdomen piercing all the way through .He rested his chin on Narutos shoulder embracing him with his left hand ,and pushing the katana further and further through Naruto with his right.
To Sasukes surprise Naruto rapped his hands around him, whispering in his ear.

“I know you well enough ….friend”

A tear slipped in the corner of Sasukes eye as he felt the cold breath of his dying friend on his neck. They stood there entwined for a couple of minutes before any of them spoke.

“Vengeance, it runs deep in your blood,…you are an avenger ,cursed to have no rest, cursed to find no peace..” Naruto spoke with regret in his voice
“But after the last drop of blood is shed and the hunt is over….you will look inside yourself and realize that you have become the same as the monster you have hunted for so long.” silence overtook them ,only the blood dripping from the sword could be heard.

“I made..a promise to myself that I will save you …Sasuke”. Naruto whispered tightening his grip on the dark brunet holding him as he desperately tried to push himself away screaming in pain.

Three chakra spikes violently erupted from Narutos chest impaling Sasukes body. He yelled in agony as more chakra spikes thrusted his vital organs…till the last one pierced his heart, ending his struggle.
“And I…I never go back on my word…I..will save you…from yourself “ The blond closed his eyes still pressing his body against his.

“N..Naruto…”he whispered with his last breath resting his head on his friend’s shoulder again, smiling peacefully.
“May you find the peace you never found amongst us…. Friend

*Flashback end*

He snapped out of his day dreaming and decided it was time to go in the village now. So he got up and with his hands in his pockets started to walk.
As he strided slowly through the woods a hand crept up from behind grabbing his shoulder.

"Naruto?....I thought I’d find you here" a gentle feminine and very familiar voice whispered to him.
"Sakura...?" he paused and gasped at her sight, his bright blue eyes sparked with excitement.
With a quick movement Naruto buried her in his arms resting his chin on her shoulder, a tear spilled from his eye as he squeezed her subtle form, leaving her begging for air. For Naruto she was his last hope of regaining his former self….if Sakura could forgive him. She could not hold her tears back so she did not bother to suppress them. They enjoyed the moment without uttering a word. Finally they pushed themselves back so they can face each other, neither one of them hiding the tears that overflow their eyes spilling on their cheeks. She smiled at him looking in those deep pools of blue, gently grazing his cheek with her left arm. He snuggled in her palm feeling the warmth of her flesh, smelling the scent of her perfume, enjoying every second of it. As he looked in to her green eyes, her smiling face turned to rage, her left palm that was gently teasing his cheek clenched holding his chin up as her right fist made contact with his face knocking him through the air a good 20 yards and landing on his back.

"WHY.....?Why the hell did you leave us like that? Her eyes bursting with tears as she shouted her question demanding answers. She dropped to her knees, her body trembling, taking deep breaths to calm down as the tears continued to pore.

"Why did you leave me all alone?....Why did you abandoned me?"She asked again, this time with a sad tone in her voice. He still laid on his back where the punch threw him and looked at the sky "When I left that night, when I left everything I loved behind, a part of me slowly began to die Sakura, there wasn’t a day that I didn't question my judgment, there wasn't a day that I did not regret my actions....... but... did I really have a choice Sakura?”

“You always have a choice Naruto" she shouted burying her face in her hands.
He got up and walked towards her, rubbing his jaw on the spot the punch made contact.
“ Don't be silly....It’s not that simple, so many have died in this war but I’m afraid to think how many more would have died if it were not for the sinoby that decided to set out that night with the promise of peace on their lips."

“Did I sacrificed 9 years of my life and my sanity for nothing?...hell no.
Do I regret leaving the village behind and my loved ones......no, because I only did it to keep them safe.
Do I hate myself for leaving you alone....I do “His voice filed with pain and anger as if an old wound was torn open. He kneeled to the silent, confused siluete and spoke:

"I’ve spent a lot of time trying to find what was I going to say when I see you again, I guess it was a waste of time because I..I really don't know what to say now."

"How about, let’s grab a bite to eat you dobe!" she spoke with a cheerful smile, lifting her head to look him in the eyes. Naruto smiled and looked down remembering that he had a lot of catching up to do, he just returned to the village after 9 years spent in the land of cliffs, the battle ground of the 4th great shinoby war
. Sakura grabbed his arm as they made their way back to his place , they did not spoke much , her question hitting this wall that he build around him, a protective shell that she could not get past. They sat down to eat, she stopped herself as she watched Naruto eat, it was weird he was not stuffing his face with ramen, he slowly took medium sized bites and took his time to chew. She then looked at him to see the scars on his face thinking of what he might have been thru in 9 years of war.

She decided to open up a subject in hopes that he will open up…”So Naruto I heard the cliff’s main village was rebuilt with the help of their allies and has even appointed a new Kage…that’s the best news I’ve had in years from that land.”

Naruto finally spoke ,looking in her eyes surprised at her knowledge in those parts “Yes it is true… Bartoka has been rebuild and …Ishinimo is their new Kage, their future is secured thanks to all of the shinoby that paid for it ..with blood” he suddenly looked away, afraid she would see the pain within him as he spoke, the conversation was hindering an old wound, a wound that never seemed to heal. He decided not to engage in such conversations with her again afraid of what might happen, afraid of hurting her.

She sensed that he was hiding up inside again so she tried to open up a conversation again…”Its comforting to know that their sacrifice was not in vain… to know that because of them their people can now have peace…..”
As Sakura finished her sentence the sound of the chop sticks hitting the plate stopped her from rambling on any further. She realized that Naruto snapped at her words, she knew she must have said something wrong.
Naruto was looking down hiding his face from her, clenching his fist under the table, thinking

“Peace….her words….cut…so deep…dam it.”
“Calm down Naruto this is not the time…don’t make a scene, just get yourself back together “
“Right”

They finished eating, hardly exchanging any words after their brief talk, Sakura looked at him unable to speak, knowing that any question of hers would meet the same wall as before. He sat up and walked to his favorite place in the apartment, his balcony. It was night already, the sky was clear and glittering with stars before his gaze. She followed him still trying to understand his attitude, his silence when suddenly Naruto broke the silence.

"I often find myself burying myself in questions."
"Answering a question gives birth to other questions in a never ending search for the answers" Naruto spoke still gazing at the sky, lost in the stillness of the night.
"Naruto...? What are you saying?”Sakura asked confused and amazed, watching this drastically changed man, where was that loud goofy kid that always pulled pranks, what happened to her sweet fun loving Naruto? And then it hit her, she remembered what he said in the gardens.

"When I left that night, when I left everything I loved behind, a part of me slowly began to die Sakura".
Naruto felt her confusion, turned around raping his arms around her."Do you know how harmony can be achieved?...do you Sakura?” She gasped and looked at his emotionless face with freight."Harmony can be achieve with clarity, to know and understand a person and to have that person know and understand you is called clarity, once you have clarity you will live with that person in harmony....but."He stopped, his emotionless face turning to sorrow and pity as he looked away.

"Knowing a person always starts with a question Sakura, and the funny thing about them is that they never end “he spoke with pity and regret in his eyes. "People can't truly know and understand each other, which is why this world will forever be at war, this is why the cycle of hate will forever mark our existence"

A deep silence overtook them as he shed a tear leaning towards her shoulder and whispering” There is no end..... to it Sakura, there is no end....”.The pain in Narutos words was ripping her apart.... she wanted to comfort him so badly but….she had no idea what to say, she was caught completely off guard, she wanted to yell at him to snap out of it but she just did not have the nerve.

What happened to you Naruto?.... her frightened voice stuttering. Naruto grabbed her shoulders firmly pushing her against the wall."Listen to me..."he spoke shaking her a bit so she can be lucid again “Have you any idea how it feels when you realize that all that you were fighting for, all that your comrades died for could not be achieved, have you any idea how it feels when your friends and loved ones die slowly in your arms and you can’t do anything about it?." he poured his dormant suffering almost screaming at her, his gaze piercing through her…. sensing her emotions ready to spill.

"Peace, freedom and harmony are nothing but illusion Sakura....." She slapped him, he took a step back, his face shocked as he acknowledged his action."Stop it Naruto!" she spoke through whimpered cries.
Naruto stared at the poor woman."I’m....sorry Sakura!" his voice stuttering as he took another step back. "So you’re just giving up huh? This is not you, Naruto would never give up!!.....never….

He approached her, grabbing her chin forcing her to look him in the eyes."I never give up Sakura...never...because the way I see it, you can't have peace without war, you can't have love without hatred. Men can’t achieve an ideal as perfect as peace when they are bound by their limits and imperfections. So if wars will constantly be at our door step, then I will be the trigger that will bring balance to this war torn world……..I believe that if you devote yourself entirely to an ideal you become more then just a man, you become the tool and weapon of that ideal…..you become the vessel of your purpose, breaking the shackles of your own limits .Her face cleared but she dared not utter a word still digesting his words.

"Come let’s get you to bed, you look tired" he took her gently in his strong arms placing her softly on the mattress tucking her in. She fell asleep right away getting lost in dreams. He grabbed a blanket and found a comfortable spot on the couch trying to get some sleep.

"Why the hell did you do that for?..Do you take pleasure in making her suffer, what is wrong with you?”
“I..I….don’t know….I just felt the need to come out, I forgot how painful it is to see her suffer and cry like that…especially because of me.
Are you going to tell her why you came back now? She needs to know..
.....
Tomorrow......I’ll tell her tomorrow
End Notes:
stay tuned for the following chapters
The dream by Sinwar
Chapter 2
The dream


"Second wave is coming!"Naruto yelled turning around to his comrads.
"All of you go now, get everyone to the shelters, ill buy us some time ...Now GOOO!!"

"Naruto...Your wounded and almost out of chakra…you can’t go on like this" Hinata spoke with freight in her eyes.
"Its alright Hinata i got enough fight left in me for all us, now go get them to safety, THEY are coming..."Naruto replied turning towards the attackers direction.
Hinata and the rest of the leaf shinobi scattered at the leaders command, racing to get the women and children to safety.
Naruto gazed emotionless at the horizon...


Thousand of shinobi poured through the city gates swarming the village.Narutos emotionless face turned to reckless rage, with nothing but a roar Naruto plunged into the airat phenomenal speed ,soaring above the village, his red chakra ablaze making him look like a burning comet, recklessly crashing in the middle of the village, his blast wave knocking back the intruders on a mile radius.
Naruto made some hand signs .....

"Massive shadow clone jutsu" ,the sheer number of clones was astonishing.Naruto's clones started to rip flesh and crush bone with a fury that looked more like the kuubys then his. In a matter of minutes the hole invading shinobi army was decimated.
Naruto released his jutsu and fell to his knees catching his breath..
"Stop hiding Madara i know your here...FACE ME"Narutos voice echoed with anger.

"Why do you do this.... you were once a proud a member of the Uchiha clan, a proud member of the leaf village, have you no honor have you no decency ........so much bloodshed...and for what? ....is it all for power... or is it for vengeance, just like Sasuke and just like Sasuke you will find out where that path ends."
"Now dieeeee!!!"
Naruto suddenly turned and motioned with his hand as if he was stretching to grab something, a burst of red chakra erupted from the ground and in the chakra's clutches lay Madara, his confused face trembled with fear.

"How can it be possible....how could he have seen me?"Madara asked himself still unsurten of what just happened.
"I see more then you know Madara ....much more "Naruto spoke calmly as if he was reading Madaras thoughts.
"Sharingan..... how?......curse you Itachi, what have you done........ no matter, like you said lets end this shall we"
Naruto smiled and replied with an amused tone:
"Its already over, stop trying to suppress the kyuby, the only thing you will find inside that cage is death..... to late.."
Madaras paralyzed body hit the ground.....Naruto stepping slowly towards him.
"You thought the kuuby was the only one in that cage....now i'v got you Uchiha Madara and you're not going anywhere"
Naruto stopped in front of the nearly lifeless body of Madara ,still chocking , still clinging to his life "For all the innocent lives you took, for all the pain you caused to these people......the only verdict is justice.
Naruto obliterated Madara with a chakra implosion, condensing the chakra in his fist, piercing through flesh and violently expanding, leaving nothing but smoke and ashes.
Naruto destroyed Madaras body but there was still a battle to be fought inside the cage, inside his subconscious.
"Its done Madara....."he spoke with a profound sense of justice and satisfaction in his voice.
"NOOOOOO you tricked me , how could this be, my body." Madara yelled in desperation.
"YOU....you really think you saved the day don't you , killing me and all
Haa ha ha don't you feel it , can't those precious eyes of yours see what’s coming right now?
MY VENGEANCE will be done,.... that I made sure of..."
From behind the tall blond figure, 2 burning eyes glittered, from the shadows the kyubys grim visage appeared.
"Let me have the honor of crushing him Naruto"
Naruto nodded in approval, with a quick movement Madara's remains turned to dust beneath the 9 tails blow.
"Looks like we have got our hands full kidoo" the kyuby said.
"Your not afraid are you?...."Naruto sarcastically replied.
"I don't think we have time for small talk now master" the kyuby replied with a humble voice.
"Right" he approved and nodded.
Naruto gazed on the horizon again looking for what Madara told him.
"We are surrounded, the rest of his army is coming.......So many of them , they are every where ,must be thousands , tens of thousands, and I already used up a big portion of my chakra...
How can this be, how can there be so many?......dead...... they are all dead , reanimated , Madara you sick bastard
Ahh it matters not , let them come..."
"I will not let them destroy our dream, I will protect it, I will be the beacon of hope and I will forge a path for others to follow.
I will fight with every breath I have even if it will be my last"
NOW LET IT BE FINISHT AAAAAA !!!"Naruto concluded his speech while his eyes burst into flames.

As the invaders breached the gates ,the rampaging beast raced to clash with them.
The will of fire incinerated the blood in his veins sending him into a blood frenzy, with great speed he crashed into the enemy lines, ripping, tearing , slashing the lifeless corpses till there was nothing left but blood and flow.
But their numbers kept increasing and increasing till the whole village was filled with enemies.
Fatigue started to kick in as Naruto’s attacks started getting sloppy, he already got wounded several times.
He punched he jumped, he kicked and ripped but the enemy slowly started to overwhelm him, he slashed left he slashed right...to late, they cornered him. But there was something about Naruto in that moment that was unusual, he smiled and said.
"Gotcha"
He purposely left them thinking they are cornering him but his true intention was to lure them away from the shelters.
"There is still enough left for one jutsu, still enough left to end it here.There is still enough to protect my dream.....our dream..."
As Naruto made some hand signs the air started to stir and twist, like it was drawing everything closer to him, the wind gained speed, creating a vortex with Naruto at the middle. Trees, rocks and the enemy started to draw closer and closer to him. with a quick motion of his arm and a fierce shout"WIND RASENGAN EXPANSION" the wind started to combine with chakra, creating a huge rasengan stretching almost half the village, within the rasengan matter started to dezintegrate.
Naruto released the jutsu burying half the city and finishing of the invaders. He crumbled, he used all of his chakra on his last jutsu.
"I guess this is it....end of the line for me and you kyuuby." he told the 9 tails smiling
"But its not over master , that was not all of them"
"WHAT??"Naruto yelled in shock
He fought with his body to get up but he already lost to much blood and chakra, with an effort he managed to turn his view towards the southern gate.
"No...noooooo" Naruto screamed as he lost consciousness.
"I....I have failed...i'v failed you all
I’m sorry....."he told himself as his vision faded into darkness.
It was morning, Sakura was in the kitchen fixing something to eat for him when she heard a blunt sound and a crack from the living room.
She raced to see what happened , Naruto was on the floor arching his back in pain , entwined in some sort of deep dream.
He opened his eyes, the blanket was tied around his legs and his clothes clung to his damp skin. ‘God it’s hot in here’ he thought, desperately clawing his shirt off of him. He was soaked through with sweat, and he shivered as he managed to get the fabric over his now throbbing head. Suddenly a familiar voice called out from the dark corner, startling him.

"N..Naruto....are you alright" she quickly ran to his side grabbing him by the hand.
"I’m alright ,it was just a nightmare that’s all" he said letting her help him get on his feet. He was sweating profusely judging from the way his hair was sticking to his face. The skin on his chest and shoulders glistened, and his pants clung damply to his legs. She stare for a moment, wondering when he’d developed such a nice body before she could shake that thought from her head.
“Are you sure? You’re a mess...you feeling ok?”
"yea I’m fine ,I’ll just go take a shower" he said still rubbing the back of his head.
"Ok then...well...I should be getting going now i got some patients waiting at the hospital.
"Well I guess this is goodbye for now" he smiled at her.
"yea ....take care…Naruto. The door slammed behind her causing him to shiver.
He got his akeing body under the shower letting the cold water relax his tens muscles.
"That dream again..huh?
Yea.... I thought the comfort of my home would bring some peace even in my dreams..
You will not be free of the nightmares if you don't stop living in the past
Oh shut up.....I can't just shove those memories somewhere in the back of my head and pretend it did not happen.
Might I remind you that you are talking to yourself...again..
JUST SHUT THE HELL UP....."
He yelled his last thought out loud falling to his knees crying beneath the pouring water, his eyes wide open staring fixated on one spot taking deep breaths. Memories locked away in the cold deep waters of his mind violently pored in to his system overwhelming him.
*flashback*
Naruto wondered aimlessly through the ruins and dust , barely standing on his feet …HINATA!!! Where are you?..” he cried out desperately .
Hinata please ….hang on ..please wait for me..plea..” his plea was interrupted by a silent moan from behind him. He raced through the rubble to where the sound came from….”HINATA!!!” he screamed throwing himself at her side, her broken body laid on the ground with a katana deep in her chest close to the heart ,eyes shut, blood dripping down her moth .He shivered in shock at the sight of her, but he did not afford to break down now…not when she needed him the most.
“It will be fine my love…hold on” he tried to get the sword out of her when a cold and pale hand gently grasped his arm “N…N..Naruto…”she slowly opened her eyes smiling at him and guiding his hand away from the sword to her face.
His agitation stopped at her sight gently rubbing her cold soft cheek ,” Naruto… its to late” her silent whisper pierced through Naruto like a hot blade…”No..no Hinata hold on ill fix you…..Ill fix everything!!” he shouted in frustration ripping his shirt so he can have something to stop her bleeding…. but she stopped him again.
“Naruto…p..please…..take me in your arms …..one last time”
He carefully took her in his arms resting her head on his chest, as she pressed her ear against him to hear the rhythm of his heart and breath remembering how many times she fell asleep to that sound. She smiled raising her head to meet his eyes. He stood there lost in her deep silver eyes realizing that her smile was a bitter sweet farewell!!
Her gaze faded in to darkness as the life was slowly leaving her broken body.
“I …..love…you …..”
Hinata’s last words spoke louder than any shout ,even if it was close to a whisper. Naruto snapped squeezing her in his arms bursting in to tears….
“NOOOOOO!!!” his enraged shout turned more in to a roar as red chakra started to spill through his eyes. He continued to scream in agony as the chakra rapidly engulfed their bodies, twisting the air around them faster and faster, until suddenly it dissipated.
Hinatas lifeless body lay in his arms as they crumbled on the ground, Naruto’s head hitting a rock losing his consciousness, letting the darkness send him in to a deep slumber .
Dream end

"Out of twenty-one shynobi that left that day only he returns....I guess the rumors whore right."Kakashi told himself as he looked throughthe hokages window overlooking the village.
"I heard all of his comrades had died when Madara attacked the village hidden in the cliffs, and that was 8 years ago"a husky voice spoke
joining in on the conversation.Kakashi identified him with the coner of his eye, noding his head in approval to his presence. "Jiraya, back so soon huh?..... still researching are you?"Kakashi asked seeming amused by the old man’s dirty habits.
"So...he’s back....8 long and lonely years of solitude."Jiraya changed the subject to more serious matters.
"I wonder what that did to him?"kakashi questioned sensing the heaviness in Jyraias voice
"You have no idea....I’m surprised his still thinking rationally after all that he has been through. “the sanin looked at the ground drowning in the sadness of his own words. Kakashi placed a hand on his shoulder "I see you got to talk to him already”, the sanin nodded
"He has.... changed..... Kakashi ,i fear that hyperactive knucklehead kid is gone....he did survive the war but not without a price".
The copy ninja paused gathering his thoughts..."The horrors he must of faced....to bring down someone as resilient as Naruto...",the sanin felt the sadness in Kakashiz voice and with a friendly smile tried to cheer him up" You think to much Kakashi, I’m sure the memories of this place will make him snap out of it....you just wait and see...I got my money on Naruto" he finished his last sentence with a childish
smile on his face.
"I wonder how much stronger he got Jiraya....it has been 9 years after all" Kakashi questioned the old sanin uncovering his left eye to better see the commotion on the streets."Ever heard of the Leaf demon Kakashi?...the copy ninja gasped at the old mans words looking at him with an even more inquisitive look."I’ve heard that name uttered by the refugees that came from the land of the cliffs
about 1 year ago."The sannin added opening the window to let some fresh air in..
"I don't know exactly what sort of powers he possesses now but one thing is for sure...the seal...is broken"
"WHATT?....are you serious?"Kakashi yelled in shock turning to the old man.
"I meet him 3 days ago on the border of the land of fire while I was on one of my ...research missions...we decided to celebrate his returnee with a hot spring bath in a nearby village" Jiraya paused for a moment gathering his thoughts..."then I saw that the seal performed by his father was gone “the sanin finish still puzzled of what he saw that day.
"Did he tell you what happened?"Kakashi asked
"All he told me was....... that the seal became useless to him.....I tried to get some concrete answers but he refused to give any."
"I guess time will have to answer those questions for us now" Kakashi added
Ambush by Sinwar
Chapter 3
Ambush

He heard a door click open and closed again. No other sounds were made. No shoes clicking. No breathing. Just the door being open and shut. He didn’t bother to open his eyes. It hurt too much to even try to think about opening them. His head was pounding. He was sure that it hurt twice as much as memories flashed past the insides of his eyes. A cold breeze went past his skin and he shivered. He stood motionless on the bed. He could feel someone watching him. But he didn’t move.

"Little one why've you lost your way?

Because I had a sad dream last night
My eyes are red from the tears I shed
Swollen as I cried."

AOI!!!...the voice yelled with a joyful laughter.

“That song…. Izumi..it is you!!

The sweet innocent voice filled his ear giving him strength. He opened his eyes to find 2 big inquisitive darkblue eyes hovering above him. It was Izumi a little girl no more than 7 years old that Naruto and Hinata managed to save, three years ago, one year before Hinata’s death when Madara continued to ravaged the western villages. Her parents and two brothers died in front of her, ever since that day she became the ninja couples adoptive daughter.

“We found you!!”

“We found you Aoi….See I told you he was here ..yup, yup, yup…. Always trust your nose that’s what I always tell you Etsuko.”

“But you never listen ..noooo.”

His face lid up at her sight .He was so happy to see her, to hear her cheerful voice again, it made him forget everything about his recent dreams. He placed a hand through her dark hair leaning her to his chest, squeezing her in his arms as she chuckled with joy. Since her family died she created her own reality in which her family is on a business trip in a far away country and are about to come home any day now. Aoi is a nick name she and her imaginary friend Etsuko gave Naruto because his name was way too long for her to remember.
She preset her ear against his chest listening to his heart beat just like she remembered Hinata doing. So peaceful, so comforting, her eyes were swollen slightly and she just wanted to close them. They were so heavy. So she let her lids slide closed, slowly falling to sleep whispering her sweet song more and more silent with each breath.
He wanted to ask her, he wanted to be furious at her for not listening to him and tracking his footsteps all the way to the leaf village. For her safety he left her behind in a close by small village, usually in a hotel where he made sure that every thing is paid for in advance, just like he always did when he went to a village that faced imminent danger.
But he could never be angry at her…she needed him just like he needed her. They wore two broken pieces that completed and brought comfort each other, two broken minds brought together by the pain and suffering that they shared.
She suddenly woke up ,jumping from his chest looking across the room, looking for something. Naruto let out a gasp.

“What’s wrong….what is it?” He got up rubbing his sore muscles, bewildered by the spunky girl.

“Where is she..Sniff…sniff… “ She started sniffing about looking under the bed.

“I’ll find you..yup…yup…yup…”

“A..aaa I don’t know what you are talking about!” He responded nervously scratching the back of his head.

“O really!!”She suddenly open his closet convinced she found someone.

“AHA!!!...ah there is no one here.”

“What ...what is that your saying?”

“Well I guess your right…. I’m so tired, maybe my nose has gone delusional.”

She was part of the Matsuda clan, highly respected for their superior tracking abilities and impeccable sense of smell.

“Guess we should get some sleep now Etsuko…”

She spoke to an empty spot in the room rubbing her eyes unable to hold them open. Naruto took her in his arms placing her on the bed, tucking her in and kissing her forehead. He stood there, watching her sleep. He always enjoyed watching her go to sleep, he envied her peaceful slumber, her steadied soft breathing as she drifted away in to her dream world. A heavy and powerful voice broke the silence.

“NARUTO…”

“Yes kyuby ?”

“WE NEED TO MAKE THE PROPER ARRANGEMENTS…WE DON’T HAVE MUCH TIME.”

“Yes kyuby I know…I’ll be on my way.”

He gently kissed her forehead afraid not to wake her up and slipped a note under her pillow, before leaving in a hurry.
The forest at the outskirts of the village was quiet yet buzzing with life, the colors bouncing in the gentle sun's glow drowning your eyes in a wild colored dance of nature, the stillness of the mirage was disturbed by 4 shadows rapidly bouncing on the branches.
"Pick up the pace you three we need to rapport what we saw at the border to Tsunade .....no time to waste." a silver eyed man ordered to the ones behind him. They confirmed in unison "Yes sir" and fastened the pace.
"All stop...now" the leader stopped halting the others seeming disturbed by something he saw."What’s wrong Neji?"a shady voice whispered.
"Shyno, Ten Ten, Lee...spread out and keep out of site ...we got company. The shinoby scattered at the leader's command.
"Byakugan"....where are you.."Neji gazed at the forest ahead looking for someone.. "there you are ...but..his chakra?..what is this?"the leader let out a gasp in surprise. He signaled the others to regroup.
"What is it Neji what did you saw"... Syno whispered in Nejis ear.. "there is a chakra camouflaged intruder about 300 meters ahead placing some sort of seal on the ground...we need to act now" the team nodded in approval.
"Ok here is the plan since we do not know how we are up against...Shino use your bugs to place paper bombs in the ground around him" Neji gave the order placing a hand on his shoulder, “right away" the shady figure approved ,punching the ground and releasing bugs from his sleeve.
"Me an Lee will stay 100 meters back and prepare to intercept him....Ten Ten I need you to provide some support from the sky, I want to see it rain with shurikens and kunais after those bombs detonate, after that Lee will intercept him and try to absorb his blows and keep him busy until I can make a maneuver and attack from behind... “the leader turned around to the brunette kunochi
" While me and lee will be in combat ...Ten Ten...I want you to place paper bombs in the surrounding area in case he tries to make a run for it....ok are we all clear?"the others confirmed "yes sir" and scattered.

"There that was the last of the seals....*sigh* that was chakra draining..gona need some rest aft..."his thought was interrupted, his body freezing on the spot.
"hmm chakra threads in the ground....clever..." before he could finish his thought the bombs around him exploded in unison followed by a rain of surikens and kunais bombarding the crater.
"Lee at my signal...frontal attack.” He continued to watch the dust cloud that came from the crater. "yea if he survived that" lee replied with a slight arrogance in his voice. Nejis gaze intensified beginning to see the chakra within the cloud getting more and clearer as the dust began to disappear... He began to see a shape, he tried to identify the shape stretching his view closer and closer to him until he could see two burning read eyes that swirled in the shadow.
As he gazed, the eyes that he watch suddenly started to watch him back fixing him with those demonic eyes. A screeching sound and a shooting pain struck him, paralyzing his body
"My eyes....ah my skin is burning..." Neji screamed in pain as he sliped on the branch. The shinoby fell to the ground twisting in agony.
Lee jumped at his comrades side trying desperately to control his convolutions "NEji...what the hell happened to you...Neji!!Lee screamed at his friend trying to get a better hold off him.

The hooded man came out of the dust cloud questioning himself "Well that was a bit rushed… don't you think?

He had no scratch on him what so ever. He walked slowly to where Neji and Lee hid themselves scratching the back of his head.

"That was a very well planed attack."

" Yea..."

" I wonder who they are?"he slowly approached the two attackers.. "well I guess we are about to find out"
The hooded mans puzzled face turned to shock when he looked upon the two men before him..."L..LEE...NEJI?...what the.. "He let out a gasp and stopped on his tracks for a moment before snapping out of it and rushing at his the injured friend.
"Lee hold him down… NOW!" he shouted at him taking the hood off.
"Na.....Naruto it’s you.."Lee stuttered as he recognized his old friend.
"Leave the hugs for later, I need to help him before it’s too late"
Lee grabbed a hold of Neji’s arms and leaned his head on the ground, Naruto made some hand signs releasing an intense chakra from the palms of his hands and hovering it above the injured man’s head.....with a sudden movement he covered Nejis eyes with his hands releasing his jutsu.
The convulsions stopped, he steadied his breathing slowly gaining full control of his locomotion functions.
"He will be fain.... there is no permanent damage "Naruto spoke relived, resting Neji’s head on his arm.
" Still we need to take him to the hospital.”
“Lee signal the other 2 to come.”
Lee stood there in shock unable to speak or move ...
"LEE..?...signal the others!!"Naruto raised his tone trying to make him snap out of it.
Lee shook his head coming to his senses and signaling the rest of his team. In a flash they jumped at Lee's side.... they all looked at Naruto with inquisitive eyes.
"Naruto ...Is Neji alright...did he pass out?...and what on earth are you doing here...and why did you use a chakra cloak, we did not recognize you” Lee questioned him.
"It’s ok...the jutsu left no significant marks...but I should take him to the hospital as soon as possible...just to make sure"
The three shinoby looked relived...
"As for the reason I was here and why did I use a chakra cloak....."Naruto got interrupted by Neji, he suddenly twisted and arched his back akeing in pain.
"Dam I need to get him to the hospital.....the rest of you carry on your mission I’ll take care of this , Shino your second in command I presume, take the lead and go" his old friends nodded and went on their way.
"Now let’s get you out of here.." Naruto took him in his arms and started to make his way fast to the village.
The hospital was filled with noise and agitation as the patients cried out there needs and the relatives demanded answers, the doctors raced down the halls trying to control the situation.
Naruto stood in the middle of the hall with Neji in his arms watching the commotion around him. He felt an unusual feeling, for about 8 years he never got to be around so many people , it made him nervous ,insecure and protective.

"Ok I’m here.....what now... what do I do?.”

A familiar voice startled him.

"Naruto?...what are you?...oh my god NEji?"

It was the pink haired woman.."Is he all right...what happened". She questioned signaling a man with a stretcher to come.

"There was an accident in the woods....he past out because of an attack on his chakra network cutting of the chakra flow to his brain. I managed to unblock the network....still he needs some taking care of ".
As Naruto explained Sakura listened, thinking "releasing chakra blocks?...that’s a very difficult medical ninjutsu..when did he?..ah never mind".
Naruto helped the nurses get him on the stretcher and stepped back to let them take him away. Sakura grabbed him violently by his coat.
“ I don't know what happen in those woods...but after I’m done with Neji you and me are gona have a serious talk" with that said Sakura turned leaving him puzzled and rushed to catch on to Neji.
"I guess she hasn't changed that much...she is as spunky as always "Naruto told himself smiling and touching the cheek where she punched him one night ago. He snapped out of his thoughts realizing he was just in the way of things and decided to leave.
"Hmm ill leave her a chakra trace so she can find me when she’s done"

The hospital was one of the tallest buildings in the leaf village and it was placed close to its center, the view from the top of it was amazing, you could see the entire village from that point. Naruto stood tall on the edge ignoring the swarm of people and noise from below, looking peacefully in the horizon where the faces of the former and present Hokages lay carved in the mountain. His peace and tranquility was disturbed by that same deep powerful and all too familiar voice from the back of his head.

"NARUTO.....HOW MUCH LONGER DO WE HAVE?...UNTIL HE COMES"

"I’m not sure Kyuby could be any day now" Naruto spoke rubbing the back of his head

"IS YOUR FRIEND ALRIGHT?...WE DID NOT HURT HIM TO BAD..DID WE? the Kyuby asked with a deep concern in his voice.

"He will be just fain...no need to worry". As he answered he felt the presences of someone approaching...

"Did his condition stabilized?"

Naruto asked as the pale siluete came closer.

"yes...he is ok now “she answered firmly.

The tall blond sighted in relive and turned to her smiling.
"Look Naruto I bumped into Shino, Lee and Ten Ten on the hall way, they told me what happened...so I have some questions."Sakura laid out the terms of the discussion determined to complete the puzzle in her head. Naruto nodded obediently signaling her to begin the interrogation.

"What wore you doing in the woods?"she asked...

"I was just laying another defense around the village" he explained.

"Defense?..against what? she questioned again taking a step closer to him. Naruto sighted deeply looking left and right slowly investigating the area.

"I guess it’s safe to talk here" he came closer placing a hand on her shoulder" For the past 8 years I have been hunting him, for the past 8 years I have tried to stop him from destroying villages in the west". He placed his other hand to his chest, fingers began to dig into his flesh as his teeth began to grind, grind, and grind, if he had gone any deeper he would have drawn blood from his chest as his grip tightened, but the one thing that stopped him was a voice in the present that called out to him.

"Naruto?" she asked, her curiosity pleading him to continue.

"And for the past 8 years I have failed each and every time...every village he attacked was decimated in less than a day... and he is headed this way...to complete his vengeance “.Just then Naruto had a feeling in him that could only be rage.

That flaming sensation that rose in his stomach, through his throat, and into his mouth, and with each inch that it went up it singed into his inner tissues."But I will be damn if I let him destroy my home...I will stop him now, this time it will be different, because this time I have the answer, this time I know what must be done…to stop him. His eyes turned burning red his breath raging as the pain spikes poking his spine made him grind his teeth in anger and frustration.

"N...Naruto what are you saying...who wants to attack our village..and why? She took a step back staring in awe at the infuriated man before her.

"That cursed...Uchiha …Madara and his grotesque army, fueled by revenge against this village, against the ones that stopped the Uchiha clan from rebelling against the other clan that occupied a higher position in the village at that time.

"Then why does he need to go destroying so many villages before attacking us?..Why not just attack us directly? She asked with freight in her voice.

"Because...with every man that falls into battle his strength is boosted ,their numbers increase, the more he destroys the more powerful he gets.....he needed that power to crush us and now he has it and he will not stop until every man, woman and child are dead.

Sakura let out a gasp” Then we must warn everyone, we need to prepare the village for battle, whatever is coming …we need to be prepared.”. She turned away running towards the roof top door when a hand closed it and moved in front of her.

“Sakura I need to ask something of you…I need you to arrange a meeting for me.”

“A meeting?”

“Yes I need you to contact Tsunade, Kakashi and Jiraya, the four of you will meet me at the location and time that is writhen here.”
He carefully placed an envelope in her hand. And moved his gentle hand on her shoulder smiling.

“Sakura, you are one of the few people that I trust, keep the conversation we had to us, no one must know of what we spoke here. “

“But why …why the need to keep things a secret?”

He looked down gathering his thoughts.

“Madara is a very skilled opponent before he attacks a village he sends his spies to gather information about the Village defenses and then strikes at its weakest spot”

“That is why it is crucial that no one must know about this”

“I understand…I’ll see to it right away Naruto you can count on me”

“Sakura wait I still have something to tell you”

“What is it Naruto.”He grabbed her hand turning his gaze to the horizon.

“About Sasuke….”
End Notes:
Ill be adding the new chapters next week!
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=9283