Amidst the Leaves by gureamusaimon
Summary: Before the birth of Uzumaki Naruto, or the slaughter of the Uchihas, there was an academy hidden in the forests of the Fire Country. A group of young talent from across the map are gathered together under the watch of rogue shinobi. All things are related, and the actions of these people will affect the generations of the future.
OC action/drama
Categories: OC-centric Characters: OC
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 62349 Read: 23658 Published: 30/05/07 Updated: 27/05/09

1. Chapter 1: The First Match! by gureamusaimon

2. Chapter 2: Setsu vs Keikon! by gureamusaimon

3. Chapter 3: Hangyukunin! by gureamusaimon

4. Chapter 4: The Quarry! by gureamusaimon

5. Chapter 5: The Utsaru! by gureamusaimon

6. Chapter 6: Training! by gureamusaimon

7. Chapter 7: Friends and Enemies by gureamusaimon

8. Chapter 8: Eight Days Later by gureamusaimon

9. Chapter 9: The Shape of Things to Come by gureamusaimon

10. Chapter 10: The Power of Tai! by gureamusaimon

11. Chapter 11: Switch! by gureamusaimon

12. Chapter 12: Showdown! by gureamusaimon

13. Chapter 13: Rain on a Small Pond by gureamusaimon

14. Chapter 14: Worries of the Mighty! by gureamusaimon

15. Chapter 15: Goodbye by gureamusaimon

16. Chapter 16: Kenji! An Ability Revealed! by gureamusaimon

17. Chapter 17: Chidori! A Student's Wisdom! by gureamusaimon

18. Chapter 18: Teamwork? When Tough Isn't Enough! by gureamusaimon

19. Chapter 19: Capture the Flag! No Man Left Out! by gureamusaimon

20. Chapter 20: Capture the Flag! A Battle Becomes a War! by gureamusaimon

21. Chapter 21: Capture the Flag! This is No Game! by gureamusaimon

22. Chapter 22: Aftermath! by gureamusaimon

23. Chapter 23: Cracks in the Mask! by gureamusaimon

24. The Bond Between Teacher and Student! by gureamusaimon

Chapter 1: The First Match! by gureamusaimon
Author's Notes:
The first of many chapter in my oingoing Naruto story.
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters of the Naruto manga. My own characters are all of my own creation, and do not infringe upon anything other than the original manga story, owned by Masashi Kishimoto. Uhh...is that a good disclaimer?

Chapter 1: The First Match!

Wind rustled the tall grass. Setsu and Araya waited with the rest of the Hangyukunin students. The instructors stood in the middle of the fighting area. It was a wide, circular ring with wooden fence posts as a border. There were twenty four young ninja in all; everyone was waiting for the matches to be called. The instructors would decide who would be fighting whom, and in what order. After the teachers spoke to one another in conference, one raised both his hands in the air, signaling that the matches would begin. It was Darba-sensei. He addressed all the ninjas as the other instructors took their positions at the edge of the ring.
“Alright! You punks had better be ready!” he shouted out in his rough, loud voice. “The losers here will get double shifts down in the quarry! The winners will get taken up to the Utsaru for higher training. Don’t give up without a fight! I’ll announce the matches now. Up first will be…Doraiya Keikon!
Setsu shifted his stance. “Him? That guy creeps me out!” The young ninja got a shiver just by looking Keikon.
“Beh! He’s not so tough. I’ll kick his ass if my name gets called.” Araya pounded one fist into an open palm. Araya and Setsu were the two students that trained under Mayamoha Darba. While Setsu struggled under his tutelage, Araya flourished; he became more and more like his teacher as the months went on.
Darba’s rough shout broke through their words. “Mimito Setsu!” The young ninja’s face made a disturbed twitch. “Me?” Setsu glanced over to his opponent. The elder ninja’s face was calm. He smiled to Setsu. It wasn’t an arrogant smile, though. That actually would’ve been more assuring. Keikon made the only expression he ever made, a frail, hopeful smile that bore a touch of compassion, or maybe sadness. It was what made him really creepy. Setsu shivered again. Damn it. Why does he have to stare at me like that?
“Don’t worry Setsu, you can beat him. He’s just a punk. You’ve got everything Darba-sensei taught us. Just don’t let that guy use his tricks on you.
“I…I don’t know…he’s…”
“Beh! Don’t wuss out! Just watch this.” Araya took a few steps forward and cupped his hands around his mouth.
“Hey! Keikon! You’re going down! My pal Setsu’s gonna kick your ass you lanky bastard!” The young ninja turned back to Setsu with a smile on his face. “See? That’s called confidence. That’s all you need…that and what Darba-sensei has shown you.”
All the other young ninjas glared at the two of them with either confusion or contempt. Setsu stared blankly at his partner. Confidence? More like stupidity. Araya, you bastard!
Darba was returning from the center of the ring, where Keikon waited. He stopped by Setsu and leaned down to speak with him.
“Alright, Setsu, be confident. Try your best and you can win!”
“But why do I have to go first? And why against him, Darba-sensei!? He’s one of the strongest students in Hangyukunin!”
“Bah! That doesn’t matter. Try your best!”
“What!? You expect me to win against him!? What kind of sensei are you!?” Mimito Setsu knew he couldn’t win against Keikon. The icy looking ninja was three years his senior, and was far above him in ability.
“Setsu, you’re starting to piss me off. I asked Keikon’s teacher for this fight because you need the experience. You should be thanking me.”
“Thanking you!? I’m going to get a beating from that guy!”
“Good. You need a beating. It’s been a while since I’ve seen you bruised. Bruises are gifts, Setsu, each one a valuable lesson.” Sestsu fumed, staring into the dark eyes of his sensei with anger and confusion. “Don’t mope, kid. This will make you stronger.”
Setsu couldn’t didn’t hold in his frustration. “Sadist!”
“Coward!” Darba shot back.
“Psycho!”
“Weakling!! Stop embarrassing me and go get him!” With a shove from his strong arms, the sensei knocked his student within a few steps of Keikon. Keikon looked at Setsu and smiled faintly.
“Hey,” he said quietly. Setsu shivered. Is it getting cold?

Mayamoha Darba joined Araya. “Sensei! I’m glad to see you have such faith in Setsu that you’d face him against Keikon! I just know he’ll win!”
Darba sighed deeply and crossed his arms. “No, he won’t.”
Araya paused with confusion. “Wha- what? What do you mean?”
“Setsu doesn’t have a chance against Keikon. I know he’ll be beaten, but it’s something he needs. He doesn’t have your drive, Araya. He’s not tough and determined like you. He needs a few bruises…and some anger. That will toughen him.” Araya stared at Mayamoha Darba in awe and surprise. The method was harsh, but the young ninja had faith in his sensei.
He turned back to Setsu and Keikon. The two stood almost face to face in the center of the ring. All the other students and instructors of Hangyukunin Academy waited around the edge of the circle, leaning against or sitting on the wooden fence that formed the border. Setsu’s face was irked. He was clearly afraid, busier doubting himself than trying to think of a plan. Keikon was calm as always, only showing the slightest smile on his face. Araya understood Setsu’s concern. Keikon was strong, and kind of creepy. He always spoke softly and wore that strange smile in his matches. It was as if he was trying to show concern for Setsu, but instead just made him more afraid.
Keikon had the height advantage. He was long and thin, agile, but not weak. He wore a loose white cloak that draped over his upper body and ragged, brown pants that hung from his waist. What made him stand out, aside from his height, was his hair. It was pure white, like snow. His eyes were a pale grey. His skin was fair and pale as well. No wonder he’s so quiet and strange, it’s like he’s had the colour sucked out from him.
Sestu stood noticeably shorter. He wore black shorts, a white shirt, and a dark green, open shirt over top. His hair was dark brown and rustled, as if the opposite of the long, straight, colourless hair of Keikon. Setsu was scrawny, Araya admitted. He wasn’t that strong, or particularly fast. His ninjutsu was probably below average. He was crafty though. Araya hoped that Setsu could figure that out before Keikon began his attack. As quiet and meek as Keikon appeared, he was ruthlessly efficient in battle. His jutsus were strange and dominant. Araya clenched his fist. Don’t crap out, Setsu!
Setsu took a deep breath and cracked his knuckles. Keikon just smiled, his white eyebrows arching upwards gently. Is he showing concern? Or pity? The two faced each other and an examiner waved his hand. “Begin.”
Chapter 2: Setsu vs Keikon! by gureamusaimon
Keikon stepped towards his opponent. His steps were slow; there was no need to hurry. He felt a mild curiosity. He had never seen Mimito Setsu in battle before. He was known as weak at Hangyukunin, but Keikon knew that everyone had something that made them unique. That was what he believed. Keikon felt a twinge of hope for Setsu, but nothing more. He knew the match would not be a challenge
Setsu took a deep breath and readied for an attack. Damn it. I don’t have any time to waste. If he uses 'that' jutsu, it’ll be over. Setsu didn’t waste a second. He began with his best jutsu. He quickly formed the proper seals. Ram-Boar-Ox-Dog-Snake. “Konoha Bunshin no Jutsu!” It succeeded, and three clones of Setsu appeared, fanning out around Keikon. Each one pulled a kunai from their belt. All four aimed at their target. The taller ninja remained calm; his smile had disappeared.
Araya smiled. “Setsu has the advantage now, Darba-sensei.” The older ninja shook his head.
“Advantage? The clones aren’t the only illusion.” Araya focused on those words before turning back to the match. The four images of Setsu all threw their kunai. Four blades sailed directly towards the pale ninja. Araya knew that there could only be one real Setsu, and therefore only one real kunai. Three would be fakes, but one could really hit. Some of the other students gasped as all four struck. Keikon remained as still as ice as the four kunai hit his chest and with a pwof and turned into four leaves.
“He knew. All four were fakes and he knew. So the real Setsu is…”
“Where else?” Darba-sensei stated.
Pwof. From above Keikon’s head, a cluster of leaves floated. From the middle of those leaves came Setsu, with two blades in his hands. He was putting everything into that one move. Setsu knew he needed to make that strike. He came down, inches away from Keikon’s head.
Without an awkward jerk or any wasted motion, the icy ninja turned and swayed, using both hands to lock on to Setsu’s oncoming wrists. He continued his spin, causing the falling ninja’s arms to cross, eventually twisting him completely and guiding him right into the ground. The attack failed, but Keikon wasn’t done. He kept his grip on both of Setsu’s wrists and pulled him to his feet. Setsu grunted from the pain of two wrist locks. He couldn’t get away as a freezing sensation began to set in. Soon enough, pain became numbness and a strange cold took over Setsu’s wrists and forearms. A strong kick from Keikon booted him away and broke the hold.
Setsu got to his knees and looked at both his wrists. They were bent at awkward angles, as far as they could go without breaking. Worse though, they were locked in place, numb and stiff. Setsu’s eyes widened at the sight of his useless hands. Th-this guy! No way! His hands are like ice! Keikon showed no smile. His hands rose and with tremendous speed, began forming seals. A moment later, he vanished.
Araya looked about frantically for him. He couldn’t see him anywhere. He saw only Setsu in the ring, his hands bent strangely. “Sensei! What’s happened!?”
Darba sighed and uncrossed his arms. “Keikon has locked his hands, making any jutsu impossible. Even taijutsu seems unlikely now. Keikon is waiting to finish this off.”
“But Darba-sensei! Where is Keikon!?” Darba tapped on his student’s shoulder and pointed to the middle of the ring, beside Setsu.
“Focus, Araya. Kill your emotion and you’ll see through it.” Araya tried to do what Darba-sensei said. He stared towards Setsu and calmed his mind. He saw through the genjutsu. At first it was just a flicker, but then a clear image appeared. Keikon stood tall over Setsu’s slumped body, preparing to make the final strike. Araya wanted to call out to his friend, but he knew it would make no difference. The match was over.
Keikon thrust down an open palm and gripped Setsu’s forehead. Setsu thrashed around in shock, but to no avail. Keikon made no seals and performed no jutsus; he simply held his grip and pulled Setsu up to his feet.
“Gaaah!” the young ninja shouted out. An intense cold was pumping into his head. His face felt cold, his head hurt, his brain even hurt. Everything became numb and cold and soon…black. Araya watched Keikon’s hand release and Setsu fall to the ground. His body lay unconscious in the tall grass.
The examiner entered the middle of the ring and stared at Setsu for a moment. “Hmph. Victory goes to Doraiya Keikon.” A few students clapped and a few instructors spoke among themselves. Keikon just stared down with gentle, white brows. He felt the slightest twinge of concern.
Chapter 3: Hangyukunin! by gureamusaimon
“Hey! Wake up, already!” Setsu opened his eyes to see a blurry image of Genmon Araya. He was a shaggy haired guy, the same age as Setsu. He was near the same height as well, though broader and square bodied. He was tough from the extra year spent under Darba-sensei’s training. He had been at Hangyukunin that much longer than Setsu had. He wore his usual brown and red jacket and brown pants. His hair was auburn; his eyes were black. ‘Finally.”
Setsu moved his wrists and felt the blood had returned to them. His head still hurt. “How long have I been out? Whose match is next?” Araya smirked and scratched his head.
“Hmmm, well basically…you just missed the last match.” What!? I was out through all the matches? That guy, Keikon. Damn. Setsu got to his feet and walked back towards his dorm with Araya. The dorms were wooden longhouses. Each one had beds for four students, space to eat and a small space to train. The two others that bunked in that cabin were Sebumaki Ido and Angyo Dosa. They studied under the same sensei like Setsu and Araya did with Darba.
The whole Hangykunin academy consisted of eight of these longhouses, the senisei’s lodging, the council hall, the Utsaru, the fighting arena, and the quarry. The surrounding area was all forested, with rocky hills, small rivers, caves, and open, grassy fields. It was a perfect place, hidden away from the government of the Fire Country, even hidden from the Leaf Ninja village. It rested in seclusion between the borders of the countries of Waterfall and Grass.
Araya made his way to the wooden fence that bordered off all the dorms from the surrounding woods and found a seat. “Does your head still hurt?” he asked.
Setsu shrugged. “Not much. That guy, though, Keikon. He’s dangerous. I didn’t even land a blow on him. I guess I wasn’t expecting to win anyway…still though. Oh, Araya! I forgot about your match! What happened?”
“Ha! I won of course” He saluted with a clenched fist and a smirk. “I had to wait until almost the last match, but I kicked ass! Heh, I’m the toughest nin here. For sure.”
Setsu paced about in the knee high grass. “Damn Darba-sensei, sticking me in a match with Keikon. What did he expect would happen?”
“Setsu, don’t be down. It was good for you. Darba-sensei knew what he was doing. You just need a few bruises…and some anger. That will toughen you.” Setsu stared at Araya with squinted, suspicious eyes.
“You just copied that from Darba-sensei, didn’t you!?” he shouted with an accusing pointed finger. The shaggy haired youth scratched his head.
“Eh, heh heh…no. Well maybe. Either way, he’s right. You need to toughen up and work harder. It’s true Setsu.”
“Eh!? You think that you would’ve done better against Keikon?”
“Hell yeah! I would’ve kicked his ass with my yokoana no jutsu, or hidana no jutsu. Or maybe…” He gave his usual salute.” Just a punch in the face!”
What a cocky bastard. He’s not so strong. “Hey. Don’t get so cocky. You think Darba-sensei is the strongest here, so you act just like him. You’re not as tough as you think, Araya.” Araya hopped off the fence and stood face to face with his training partner.
“Darba-sensei is the strongest! And I am as tough as I think I am!”
“Hnn?”
“You know what I mean! That’s it, Setsu! Obviously you need more training, so how about you and me match up, right now? I’ll prove to you that you need to listen to Darba-sensei’s advice!” Setsu drew back a step. He knew Araya was most likely stronger than he was; he had better control of his jutsus. Mimito Setsu felt a sudden oppression from his partner. All the time that Darba-sensei had trained them, they had never fought each other in a full force match. Damn it. He knows he’s stronger than me. You bastard, Araya, I won’t let you win!
Setsu leaned back and crossed his arms, taking on a ‘cool guy’ pose. “If that’s what you want, then no problem,” he said calmly, adding a confident smirk. Araya stared at him for a few moments, before breaking his silence.
“Great! This is gonna be fun!” he cheerfully ran a few steps away, to create a good fighting distance between the two of them. Setsu sighed as Araya’s back was turned. Damn.
The two faced one another with about ten meters of distance between them. The back side of their dorm connected to the forest, so they would likely have no interference from other Hangyukunin students or instructors. They stared at one another, each holding a ram hand seal to gather their charka. Araya exhaled deeply and prepared to charge. Setsu gripped a kunai in his pouch and readied himself. The two young nins then sprang forth and each began their attack. Setsu pulled out his kunai for a strike, but Araya was coming quickly. Both gained speed in the tall grass. Their impact was inevitable.
“Hey.” The voice of Darba-sensei was as surprising as his appearance; he suddenly stood between the two of them, one hand on Araya’s shoulder and one on Setsu’s forehead. The momentum of both ninja was suddenly ceased, Araya stopping short and Setsu being knocked back from the force of his teacher’s palm. “What’re you punks up to?”
Araya was quick to respond to his teacher. “D-Darba-sensei, we were training!” So fast! Darba-sensei!
“Training, eh? Bah! You were doing more than that. Come on, both of you, let’s go.” Mayamoha Darba walked away with ease as both his pupils gave each other a slow, suspicious look. “Don’t slack off, you’ve both got work to do!” They quickly followed.
The three of them passed through the central area of Hangykunin, where the council hall and the fighting arena were. A few other students and instructors were out on the grounds. Darba led them to the east end of the Hangyukunin grounds. They neared a large slope in the ground that led to an open, rocky valley below. Oh, shit! I forgot! Setsu was then reminded of the consequence of losing his match. The losers here will get double shifts in the quarry. Darba-sensei had said. Setsu noticed a few other students down in the quarry and felt a sudden weakness in his body.
“Alright. A double shift, Setsu. This will be inspiration to train harder.” A push from Darba-sensei’s hand forced Setsu to make the first few steps down a long hill that bridged the distance of height. After Setsu made his way down to the ground level of the quarry, Araya and his teacher moved on.
“Hmm, that kid,” Darba muttered aloud.
“Quarry work is great for training, right sensei? Setsu will get tough in no time working down there.” Araya’s teacher did not seem to share his enthusiasm for the idea.
“I hope. Otherwise…” Araya’s eyes met his teacher’s, but no more words were spoken of the matter. “Well! You and I are going to the Utsaru for training! You’re gonna be tough after this, Araya!” Araya’s eyes lit up with excitement.
“The toughest! Training! Training! Yeah!” Teacher and student left the quarry and made their way to the Utsaru.
Chapter 4: The Quarry! by gureamusaimon
Hibika Shiyo watched the twelve students toiling away. They were the twelve that had lost their matches; they all deserved what they got. A double shift for each student, plus a few hours of sleep in between…they’ll be here until tomorrow afternoon, she thought. Hangyukunin Academy was a small, hidden school, not even known by most ninja villages. Its secrecy was assisted by the neighbouring mining village, which would make orders of food and supplies for Hangykunin. That allowed the school to receive what it needed from other countries or cities without its ninja having to extend themselves outside the secluded area. In return for the service, Hangyukunin would assist in the mining of the quarry.
The quarry was a rocky valley that connected the neighbouring village and the forests of Hangyukunin. Every so often students would be given work duties. The instructors turned it into a form of training. The students were required to lift the heavy rock loads, examine the digs for precious minerals, run messages from one end of the quarry to the other, and follow tasks given by the mining captains. It was good routine work for ninjas in training. Hibika Shiyo was one of the instructors that oversaw the students work and relayed information between the mining village and the Hangyukinin council.
She was watching each student, yawning at the occasional boredom of her current task. It had been quiet in Hangykunin the past few years. There had been no trouble from any of the hidden ninja villages like those of Leaf, Grass, or Waterfall. In the past, the ninja villages that represented each country had asked the council of Hangyukunin why they had installed themselves in the Fire Country.
They demanded to know of anything that might interfere with their own operations. Konoha especially, had made inquiries to the head councilors of Hangyukunin. They had been able to assure the Hokage that their own work was simply to provide assistance and education to young children of potential. Though militarized, they did not have a political agenda that interfered with any of the hidden ninja villages. The Hokage had allowed them their secrecy, mostly because they appeared as no great threat, and also because Hangyukunin Academy served as police for those in the Fire Country that were too poor to travel to Konoha. Hangykunin offered mercenary work to nearby clients. Things were quiet.
Over by the entrance, Shiyo saw a man approaching. To her surprise, it was Jashin Zakuya, a high ranking sensei of the academy. He was a skilled shinobi, well respected, and quite handsome as well. He was of average height with a lean build. He had black eyes, slicked back black hair, and a finely trimmed beard, narrowing to a sharp point off his chin. She rarely saw him around, so to Shiyo it was a pleasure.
Zakuya stepped along the rough gravel path that led down to the quarry. He hadn’t been down there in years. He saw the students that had failed their examination matches. They chipped away at the quarry walls and pushed cart loads of minerals to and fro. All twelve of them had potential. Zakuya had taught many students, and he knew that there were few individuals that couldn’t be made into skilled shinobi. It was all in how they were instructed, on top of their own natural talent. Zakuya blamed their instructors for their losses. Neither of his students had been beaten earlier in the day.
He was approached by Hibika Shiyo, a low ranking instructor at the academy. Her skills were at chuunin level by ninja village standards. She was really only suited as an examiner, or as a party leader. She had no personal students of her own.
“Zakuya-sama! It is good to see you. What brings you down here today?”
“The students, Shiyo-san. I’ve come to speak to them. They need to improve if they are to be of use to Hangyukunin, no?” She smiled in reverence of him.
“Oh, Zakuya-sama, it is good that you are looking out for the other students here, as well as your own. I saw Keikon had an impressive win today.”
“Hmm, yes. Keikon has grown strong since he’s been with me. He is an adept shinobi. Now, I need to go speak with a few students, so if I may excuse myself…”
“Oh, absolutely Zakuya-sama, don’t let me delay you. Good day, Zakuya-sama.”
Zakuya left Shiyo to her duties and made his way across the large, open area of the quarry towards the young ninja. He watched them closely. His eyes focused. Focus. Scan them all. No…no…yes, there. He made his way towards Kimichi Tuya.
Tuya had been at Hangyukunin for two years. She was mediocre, at best. Her examination match had pitted her against a superior opponent. It had really been a mismatch. In the end, she had used up too much charka, and fell victim to her opponent’s attack. It had been Zakuya’s other student that had beaten her. She had potential, and Zakuya would bring it out of her.
“Hello, Tuya.” The young girl turned about in surprise.
“Oh…Zakuya-sensei. I didn’t hear you. What...what is it you want?” Zakuya could tell within seconds that she had weakness in her. Her examined her with ease and saw the lack of confidence, the restraint. He also saw what he looked for in her, though. He saw how easy it would be to bring it out.
“Tuya, I saw your match today. You did well.” She lowered her gaze.
“Not well enough. I’m down here, instead of at the Utsaru, right?”
“Hm, that’s no matter. Forget about the loss. What I mean is, I noticed your potential. I’ve been keeping an eye one you. You’ve grown.” Tuya blushed. “What I want you to know is that your ability is interesting to me, and I’d like to help you. If you’d like my advice.”
‘I…advice? You mean training, Zakuya-sensei?” He nodded. “Oh, thank you, but…I-isn’t training supposed to be kept between one teacher and student. I mean, I already have Soma-sensei.” Zakuya looked into her eyes. His mouth tightened and his eyebrows narrowed ever so slightly. Tuya breathed in with a tiny feeling of fear.
Zakuya reached out to and touched her arm. “Tuya,” he said, brushing his fingers along the fresh scars, there from today’s fight. “These must hurt, no?”
“Well…yes.”
“You know both my students. Neither of them received a scratch in today’s matches.” The young ninja’s eyes opened wide. She seemed to be realizing the truth of his words. “That’s all I need to say, really. I know you, Tuya. I know that you want to become strong. I know all the students here. That is why I’m a good teacher. Soma-san is an adequate instructor for you, but if you want to become strong…”
“Then…then what Zakuya-sensei?” What do you want me to do?” Zakuya smiled.
“Then be ready. I will have an opening for you. Look and listen. Remember your potential.” Zakuya smiled to her. She stared in a look of awe. So impressionable. This one will be easy.
Zakuya left young Tuya blushing as he began to return to the academy ground. Before getting far, he caught something in the corner of his eye. It was faint, but after looking further, he saw that it was definitely there. Which one...ah, there. It’s barely visible. Hm. Two in one day, how lucky I am. Zakuya walked over to another student. To find two students with what he needed so quickly was rare. He neared the young ninja and tapped him on the shoulder. “Hello, Setsu.”
Chapter 5: The Utsaru! by gureamusaimon
Darba and Araya approached the Utsaru. It was a large building at the north end of Hangyukunin. Its red-roofed, pagoda style architecture stood out from the other buildings. Araya had heard that it was a temple long ago, and that the rest of the academy was built around it. They both entered.
Inside were hardwood floors, with the gleam of daylight reflecting of their smooth surface. Darba led Araya through a hallway and into a central room. Araya had been to the Utsaru once before, and had received interesting training. From what he knew, the building’s function was to serve as a training ground for students that showed potential. Instructors analyzed the young ninja’s abilities and gave them training based upon their particular skills.
“Araya, go with Usama, he’ll start your training.” The youth turned to see Usama-sensei, an instructor that taught only at the Utsaru.
“Yes, sensei.” Araya followed the adult ninja, moving past a set of double doors and on deeper into the Utsaru core.
Darba remained in the central room until further instructors arrived. They each sent their students into the Utsaru to be tested and trained. Eventually, the twelve sensei, as well as several other shinobi of Hangyukunin had all gathered in the centermost room of the Utsaru.
In the circular room they sat at a round table. Only a few, including Darba, Zakuya, and Naho-sensei, remained standing. She leaned against the wall, nearby Darba. Zakuya stood with his arms crossed, on the other side of the room. The five councilors of Hangyukunin sat together at one end of the table. The lesser ranking shinobi were at the opposite end. Everyone that sat at the round table in the Utsaru had been at Hangyukunin for at least five years as a teacher.
Tenumuki Damo, as the eldest of the councilors, began the meeting. He was one of the three men that had originally founded Hangukunin. He, along with Sebumi Oda and Jashin Zakuya, had left their ninja villages over twenty years ago to start their own hidden academy.
“Things have been peaceful these last few years. We have received little trouble from any ninja villages. Konoha has made no inquiries. The Fire Country seems to have forgotten of our existence. We have brought in more students to be trained. Our forces are growing. I believe we are ready to begin preparations for greater things.” The response was silent nods. “I ask any sensei here to elect those students which are ready to advance beyond their basic training and enter field missions.”
Sensei’s began to elect students. “I choose both my students, Uzuki Shiroi and Tanara Kuro,” said one sensei.
Zakuya spoke up next. “I choose Doraiya Keikon.” Councilman Damo interjected.
“Only Keikon, Zakuya? Your other student seems perfectly capable, as well.”
“Hm, yes, she is. I’m not quite through with her just yet. She’ll be ready soon enough.”
Councilman Sebumi Oda did not seem confident in Zakuya’s choice. “Is Keikon reliable, given his…particular nature?” she asked. Zakuya smiled with assurance.
“Keikon is more than ready. He will become the perfect shinobi. In truth, he’s far beyond the level of the other students here.” Zakuya’s words came with no hesitation or consideration for others. He knew he spoke the truth. Darba gritted his teeth. Cocky bastard, that Zakuya.
Other teachers began to call out the names of who they thought were ready to leave Hangyukunin. Naho leaned over and whispered to Darba.
“You’re not sending Setsu or Araya?” she asked.
“Hmph. Well, not Setsu. Araya though…I think he could perform well, but…” Naho smiled.
“You don’t want to let go of him, do you? I can understand why. He takes after you so much.” Darba knew that she was right, to some extent. Araya had become a favoured student of his. It wasn’t just that, though. He can’t just be good, he needs to be great.
“Well, what about your boys?” Darba asked of Naho.
“Dosa and Ido…they have talent, but they’re not combat ready. By next examination, perhaps.”
The rest of the sensei called out the students that they wanted to move on. Sebumi Oda counted them all and reflected on the numbers. “Only seven. Hmm. I suppose that will be enough, but we had hoped for more. Along with those that are already trained and ready, that would make twenty-one. Is that enough?”
“It is enough to begin, but not enough to sustain the work we have planned. If only we could be certain of the other students’ progress.” Damo clasped his fingers together in thought.
Zakuya spoke up without hesitation. “I can assure you of two more in the next two months, possibly three. I imagine some of the other sensei here can offer something similar.” The senior instructor’s eyes scanned across all the shinobi in the room. They met with Darba’s for a brief moment. He saw Zakuya’s confidence and also wasted no time to respond.
“We can’t rush their progress. There’s no sense putting them out there if they’re going to get themselves killed.” Zakuya stared at him, into him, and smiled.
“Darba-san, I can tell you are attached to your student. You are training him well. It is only natural for you to want to perfect his progress. But I assure you that the students that I teach are quite ready for field missions. The students need real life experience, not your coddling.” Darba tensed his shoulders and arms. Zakuya had easily brought the anger out of him. He did his best to remain polite to the elder shinobi, though.
“Yes…that’s true Zakuya. I just don’t think that all students are the same. Some take longer than others. And I have two students, if you’ve forgotten.” A sarcastic look of surprise appeared on Zakuya’s face.
“Oh! Yes, you’re right. Mimito Setsu. Forgive me. I just hadn’t noticed his progress.” Darba gritted his teeth yet again.
Tenumuki Damo continued on where the meeting had left off. “Well, regardless, I believe it is time for us to move forward with our work. Councilmen, please raise your hands for those who agree with the motion.” Of the five that formed the Hangyukunin council, all five raised their hands. Zakuya held his hand high without look of doubt on his face. “I see. None opposed. We will begin preparations.”
“I have something else to add, Damo-san,” Zakuya began. “Given that several students will be leaving Hanyukunin Academy, I suggest a restructuring while new students are brought in. Let me explain…” Damo, Oda, and the other councilors listened, awaiting Zakuya’s words.
“I suggest that students that are not progressing as fast as the others be switched to more appropriate teachers. For example, now that my Keikon will be leaving, I have an opening for at least one more student. I would like to train Kimichi Tuya.”
Zakuya’s words created a surprise within the round room. “But, Zakuya-sama, Tuya is my student,” Soma-sensei stated. Zakuya’s gaze turned to her.
“Soma-san, you’re a fine teacher. I simply believe that my greater experience will allow me to enhance some of the students training to a higher level, and allow the operations of Hangyukunin to proceed more quickly.” Damo nodded in silence.
“Well, if you believe it would be best, Zakuya-sama.” The female shinobi gave in to her elder and agreed with the request
“Why is it you want to teach Tuya personally, Zakuya?” Darba asked. His words were pointed with suspicion.
“Darba-san, I merely recognize what a student’s potential is. I can see which types of students fit with which types of teachers. For example, your Genmon Araya is a fine match for you. Strong, bold, aggressive, he’s best served by training under you. Unlike your second student, Mimito Setsu. Clearly, he is not your type, and that is why you have failed to properly train him.”
Darba uncrossed his arms, as if a physical response were possible. He stayed himself, knowing that he could do little. “Setsu is coming along. I have plans for him. Why do you mention his name? Do you have an interest in him as well!?” Zakuya responded calmly.
“I have an interest in the benefit of the Hangyukunin Academy. I have an interest in students that I relate to and those which I can train effectively. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing a student flourish under my watch. You have no need to become hostile. I am your senior. I have the greater experience in this matter.”
Naho leaned in and whispered to Darba.” You shouldn’t get angry, Darba-kun. He’s much older than you and well respected here. You should treat him the same as the others do.”
Zakuya smiled. “Why thank you, Naho-san. I didn’t realize I was considered with such high regard.” Naho’s face irked with surprise. An awkward smile came to her.
“Oh, heh…well yes, Zakuya-sama,” she responded. He heard that? Darba gritted his teeth, but finally gave in to Naho’s advice.
“I see…Zakuya…sama.” Zakuya smiled politely, while laughing on the inside. Hm, I must be juvenile to be pleased over such a small victory. Nevertheless…
The members of the council and instructor shinobi alike all rose and made their exit from the round room. Darba and Naho waited for their students together. After a short while, Araya and Ido emerged from the Utsaru core. They were exhausted.
“Heh, you punks get a good workout?” Ido nodded in approval. “Hm, well then…let’s eat!” The four of them left the Utsaru and made their way to the village nearby. They found the closest barbecue house and took a seat.
“Gee, I feel kind of guilty eating this while Dosa is working down in the quarry,” Ido exclaimed.
“Yeah, Setsu as well,” Araya added. Darba responded to cease their concerns.
"Listen guys, don’t forget you earned what you got today. Setsu and Dosa can handle the quarry work. They’ll be back and eating barbecue by tomorrow night. Plus, you need to learn how to enjoy your time off. In the next few months, you might not be getting much.” Ido and Araya both showed interest, but were too interested in their arriving food to question. Darba leaned back and smiled at Naho. “Let’s not worry about anything right now.”
Chapter 6: Training! by gureamusaimon
It was late morning when Darba and Naho led their students out into the woods for training. Setsu and Dosa had needed a lot of sleep after their overnight stay in the quarry, but by that morning, they had recovered. The group of six took a path exiting south from Hanyukunin Academy. They hiked a short way through forest and along hills until reaching their destination.
It was a grove, surrounded by trees and next to a small river. The earth was soft beneath their feet. The grass was short, and there were only a few clusters of large stones around. At the east end, a rift in the earth formed a gorge that separated the grove from a more deeply forested area. The two sensei gathered their students and began to explain what they were doing out there.
“Alright, listen up,” Darba began. “You’re going to perform a training exercise. This was a game that we used to play as students ourselves. It will involve all four of you. I have four bandannas here, one for each of you to tie around your neck. All four of you will be given a target to chase, and a hunter that’s chasing you. The person you’re chasing will not be chasing you. The object is to steal the bandanna from the person you’re chasing and bring it back. Whoever does that, and still has their own bandanna, wins.” The four students reflected on the rules of the game.
“So how do we choose who chases who?” Ido asked. Naho offered an answer to her student.
“We’ll pick your targets. We’ll tell each of you who you’ll be chasing, but not who’s chasing you. That information will be left for you to uncover once the exercise has begun. That means you don’t know may be a potential ally or potential enemy. I’ll be waiting here for the first person who can bring back their target’s bandanna as well as their own. Darba-san will act as the ‘destroyer.’ He’ll be out on the field, looking for all of you. If he touches you, you’ll lose immediately. You need to avoid him, figure out who your hunter is, find your target, and bring back their bandanna to me. Everyone understand the rules?” The four of them nodded, some with more confidence than others.
Naho walked around to each of the young nins and gave them all bandannas, each of a different colour. When she approached Setsu, she handed him a green one and whispered “Ido.” Ido’s my target, eh? He began to think of his temporary opponents’ abilities.
Ido used shields. He was from the Sebumaki clan, which was skilled in its use of seals and barriers. Setsu didn’t know how they worked exactly, but he could create a shield to defend himself or his allies. Beyond that, he used only a little taijutsu. He was a fourteen, a year older than Setsu, and a little taller because of that. His hair was long and pale blonde, almost white; it hung down in front of his face. He wore a yellow jacket and grey pants.
Dosa was the same age as Ido. He had short black hair and black eyes. He wore dark navy blue shorts and had a blue vest overtop of a white, long sleeve shirt. He could use water based attacks quite well. Dosa had an advantage near any water source, so he would probably keep near the river.
Setsu knew Araya’s attacks more than anyone’s. He had strong taijutsu, and a fire element jutsu. He could use yokoana no jutsu as well.
The game began. Darba lead all four nins out from the central grove and had them split off. “The boundaries will be the river, the gorge, and where the trees end to the southwest. Everyone pick a direction and go. I’ll start hunting you after a two minute head start. Alright? Get moving!”
Setsu sprang off and took to the trees. He was always more comfortable in the branches of trees, were shelter could be found. Setsu’s taijutsu was not strong, so he preferred to rely on stealth instead of direct assault. He moved through the branches, keeping his eyes open for either Darba-sensei, or the others. He still didn’t know who was hunting him, Araya or Dosa.
He had an idea. “Konoha Bunshin no Jutsu.” The clone leapt down to the ground and began to look around for Ido. Setsu followed in the treetops above. It wasn’t long until Ido appeared. Setsu used his clone to reach Ido’s opposite side. Once in position, the clone sprang out and threw a handful of shurikens. They were meant to startle, not to damage, so Setsu’s target was the tree closest to where Ido stood. The three stars sunk into the wood as the leaf clone charged towards Sebumaki Ido.
“What the-“ Ido stepped back, looking confused from the sudden attack. He dodged the clone’s first punch and then countered with one of his own. Pwof. The image of Setsu burst into leaves, which spread through the open air and floated to the ground. “A clone…” Before Ido had a chance to recover, Setsu leapt from the tree branch above and sailed towards Ido with a strong kick. The blonde nin spun at surprising speed and formed a rabbit hand seal. “Toku no Jutsu!”
Setsu’s kick hit hard against a purple barrier of converted charka. He slammed into the wall of energy, no larger than Ido himself, and hit the ground hard. Ido drew back and smiled. “Your clones are no match for my shields. You want this?” he asked, pointing to the yellow bandanna around his neck. “Then come get it.” The ninja broke off into a run, looking over his shoulder as Setsu got to his feet and pursued.
The leaf user lost sight of his quarry momentarily, but soon found him again running through the trees. Setsu charged after Ido, chasing him as he ducked around the corner of a pile of rocks. As Setsu caught up and ran around the rock pile, he found Ido on the other side. To his shock, he found Darba-sensei as well, with one hand firmly on Ido’s shoulder. “Heh, you’re out.” Darba-sensei said to Ido. He pulled the bandanna from Ido’s neck and tossed it on the ground.
Setsu wasted no time in running as his teacher sprang after him. The younger nin made for the trees, dodging and jumping from branch to branch to get away, but his teacher stayed on his tail. Damn. He’s fast. I need to do try something else.
Setsu quickly let himself drop from the branches. He made his way into the center of a large bush. “Konoha Bunshin no Jutsu.” The clone emerged from the bush and continued escaping from the approaching Darba-sensei. The trick worked; Setsu peered from his hiding spot to see his teacher following the clone he had created. Heh, you’re not so smart, sensei. Now, I need to go find Ido’s bandanna before the others find me.
Araya stopped running and caught his breath. He didn’t want to be fatigued if he ran into someone. His target was Dosa, but he hadn’t even caught a glimpse of him. A sudden thought occurred to him. The river! Damn it, he must be there! Araya spun about and headed for the river to the north. He could faintly hear the echo of splashes it made from where he was. Before getting far though, his path was crossed by a kunai. The blade sailed past him and stuck into a tree. Araya turned to his right and saw the person who threw it: Setsu.
“Hm, so you’re hunting me, eh? No problem, Setsu. Let’s fight!” His partner smiled and the two engaged in battle. Araya blocked Setsu’s kicks and punches. He countered with a charge and a strong punch of his own. He moved in for another punch, as his partner spun about with a strong back kick. The move caught him off guard. That’s new. I thought I knew all his taijutsu. Ha! Doesn’t matter!
Araya charged once more and received another kick. He let it hit him and simply toughed it out. His momentum carried him through and he delivered a tackle. Setsu was knocked back by Araya’s strength and forced to turn and run. ”I’ll be back for you, Araya!” he said.
“Beh! Like I’d let you!” he shouted. The adrenaline was flowing through him. Araya followed his partner with enamor.
Dosa peered up over covering of stones. He was near the river and hadn’t seen any of the others yet. He knew he would have to spread out farther if he was going to find Setsu and steal his bandanna. He decided that he would rather have Araya chasing him than Ido. Araya was probably the strongest of the four of them, but Ido was by the far the cleverest. He knew Ido well from being partnered with him for almost two years at Hangyukunin. They had entered around the same time and had learned under Naho-sensei since the beginning.
The snap of a twig caught Dosa’s attention. He turned to see Setsu creeping through he woods, about twenty feet away. He didn’t seem to be aware of Dosa. Dosa calmed himself and assessed the situation. Does he know I’m here? He’s not looking this way, and I could take advantage of that, but it may be a trap. He uses those leaf clones. I’m hunting him, though. He has nothing to gain by following me…
Dosa concluded his best course of action. “Mizu Bunshin no Jutsu,” he whispered. Behind Setsu, Dosa watched as water began to emerge from the gushing river. It rose up and took the form of Dosa himself. The water clone then approached Setsu from his left, while the true Dosa came in from his right. They both charged at the same time, but the leaf nin’s reactions were sharp. He spotted both attackers and leapt out of harm’s way.
“Heh, you looking for this?” he asked, pointing to the bandanna around his neck. “Come get it.” He broke off into a run shortly after. Dosa was forced to follow on foot. The chase remained at a constant pace. Setsu was too far ahead for Dosa to use any jutsu, but close enough that he was in sight. Setsu burst through a wall of bushes. The water nin followed.
On the other side was a clearing. Dosa stood in a large, open area, looking at Setsu and Arya. The two ninja were engaged in combat. The tangled for a bit, until Araya knocked his training partner clear to the ground. Once he turned and spotted Dosa, he charged. “That there in mine!” he said, pointing at the blue bandanna around Dosa’ neck. Dosa was immediately forced to defend against Araya’s assault.
Araya was strong and fast, with impressive taijutsu. He would often attack by simply charging in with a shoulder tackle, hurling his body and using his greater weight as an advantage. As Dosa was knocked back, he quickly reflected on the status of the game they were playing. I’m chasing Setsu, Araya is chasing me, and if those two were fighting, then Setsu must be chasing Araya. But what about Ido? If Setsu were chasing Ido, then why aren’t those two teaming up against me?
The fight continued. Araya seemed to have the opportunity to switch between Dosa and Setsu, using his strength and speed to keep them both at bay. “Katon! Hidama no Jutsu!” Araya shouted. He held his tiger seal and took a deep breath. Dosa knew what was coming next, but barely had time to react. Araya leaned forward and opened his mouth. A fireball shot from inside and soared towards Dosa.
“Suiton! Dangan no Jutsu!” Dosa mimicked Araya and a fat bullet of water shot from his mouth. It hit the fireball just in time and the two forces cancelled each other’s movement in a blast of steam. Damn, that was close.
Araya took a deep breath to recover from the attack. He didn’t have long to rest, though. Soon Setsu was attacking him from the side. Two images of his partner circled around him. Araya would normally attack both full on and determine which was the clone, but he had used up too much charka fighting both Setsu and Dosa. He needed to be selective. The clones each drew a kunai. They both prepared to throw their weapons. Araya didn’t want to wait to find out. He rushed towards one Setsu and delivered a kick to the abdomen. His foot trailed right through as the clone burst into leaves. Araya turned about as the kunai from the other Setsu sailed towards him. He hit the ground to avoid it, but quickly got to his feet and charged the real Setsu. He knew that he was better at close combat; Setsu relied on tricks and traps.
The real Setsu dodged his attack. Araya then heard a strange sound, and noticed the darkness of a shadow around his feet. Both nins turned to see a wall of water coming towards them. Dosa was kneeling behind it, holding a snake hand seal. Damn it. I forgot about him. I need to move fast! He could not get around the wave; it was moving too quickly. Araya turned back to Setsu to see a smile on his face. His partner flipped the kunai in his hand around and thrust it into his own neck. What in the hell!? Araya’s question was soon answered with a pwof. Leaves floated down to his feet as Araya was faced with an incoming wave of water. Damn it!
Dosa saw his shuuha kabe no jutsu succeed. The huge water attack splashed down on both ninja. Heh, both at once. Now to get Setsu’s bandanna and get back to Naho-sensei. The water cleared. Dosa looked in shock to see neither his target nor his hunter present. He took a step back and looked about. Where did they go!?
Dosa looked closer to where the two had been and saw a large hole in the ground. The soil shifted below his feet. What the!? From beneath the earth Araya burst out. He hopped up and wrapped both arms around Dosa from behind. Araya’s strength was greater and Dosa could perform no seals in his position. “I’ll take this.” Araya said, grabbing the blue bandanna from his target’s neck. The stronger ninja released his grapple and threw a solid punch to knock Dosa to off his feet. “See you after this is over!” Araya confidently stated. Dosa blurrily rolled about, seeing stars from Araya’s blow.
After losing Araya with his konoha bunshin, Setsu ran back to where Ido had been tagged out by Darba-sensei. He looked around, but couldn’t find the yellow bandanna that Ido had been wearing. After only a few moments of searching, Ido himself burst through in full speed. Around his neck was the yellow bandanna. “Hey, Ido! What are you doing!? You were tagged out!” Ido stopped, breathing heavily. He was exhausted from running, it seemed.
“Oh, that. Yeah. I think you’ve probably got bigger things to worry about than that right now.” Ido’s words were brief as continued to run.
“Yeah, right! I won’t let you run!” Setsu began a pursuit, but his acceleration was halted by a strong grip on his shoulder. He slowly turned to see Darba-sensei looking down at him.
“Sorry kid, you’re out.” Setsu couldn’t believe it. Damn that Ido!
“Hmph. So you got two of us, huh?” Darba-sensei raised an eyebrow.
“Two?”
Araya had Dosa’s blue bandanna and he still he his own red one. Setsu was no where in sight. All he needed to do was find Naho-sensei and he would win. It took a few minutes, but soon Araya found the grove where they had begun and spotted Naho-sensei walking through the trees nearby. “Naho-sensei! I’ve got Dosa’s bandanna! I win, right?”
She approached Araya and took the blue bandanna from him. “Good work, Araya. Now, go find Darba-sensei and tell him that game is over.” Araya smiled and nodded to the instructor. “Oh, and I’ll take your bandanna, you hardly need it now.”
“Ha. You’re right.” He pulled off the red cloth and gave it to Naho-sensei. “Do you think we’ll be going to Okatsu’s Barbecue House in the mining village later, Naho-sensei?” Naho smiled at him.
“Oh, I’m sure we will. Darba-sensei loves to eat there. Now, go find him for me.” Araya walked off, cheerfully looking forward to the meal he would assuredly receive for his victory. A sudden thought then occurred to him. Why did Naho call him Darba-sensei, not Darba-san, or Darba-kun? Darba turned about to see Naho running at full speed. Pwof.
The image of Naho faded in a puff of smoke and Araya saw Ido running towards the grove. “I-Ido!?” Araya sped off after the blonde nin.
Naho sat lazily, leaning back against the large rock she sat on. I wonder how long this will go on for? She soon saw her student, Ido charging towards her, with Araya following close behind. Ido made it to her with a near leap to escape Araya and tossed the red bandanna into her hand. She looked down at the two of them. Ido was flat on the ground, his own yellow bandanna around his neck; Araya was ruggedly trying to pull Ido away from her, grumbling and cursing at him.
Naho sighed. “It looks like you can stop now, boys. Ido has won.”
“Eehhhh!?!?” Araya shouted in disbelief. “I was so close! Ido, you bastard! You better not have cost me a meal at Okatsu’s Barbecue House!”
Ido shrugged. “To the victor go the spoils, Araya.”
“I need to go find Darba-san, you two wait here.” Naho walked away as Araya began to take his frustration out on her student.
“Eh- Naho-sensei! Wait! Don’t leave me here with him!”
“Shut up, Ido, you bastard! I’ll get even with you for that dirty trick.”
“Augh! Naho-sensei! Naho-sensei!”

It was later that evening that Dosa grabbed the last few pieces of barbecued pork. All six of them were relaxing at Okatsu’s in the mining village. Dosa looked across the table. Darba-sensei and Naho-sensei were talking to one another. Ido looked relaxed. Setsu looked like he was deep in contemplation. He had been annoyed that he was the only one tagged out by Darba-sensei. Araya was concerned only with his food. He had finished all his meat, and began to clean up what was left of the rice.
It hadn’t surprised Dosa that Ido had won. The Sebumaki clan was known for its geniuses. No one had ever called Ido a genius, but regardless, he was the sharpest of the four of them.
Araya slammed his hand down on the table. “Alright. The food is gone, now tell us how you won that match!” Ido sighed.
“I already told you.”
“I forgot.”
The blonde haired ninja began his explanation again. Dosa hadn’t fully understood it the first time, either. “Well, Araya was my target. So I knew that either Dosa or Setsu would be hunting me. I’ve worked with Dosa enough to be able to read his facial expressions, somewhat. I could tell that he wasn’t my hunter, so that made it Setsu. I also knew that I couldn’t compete with Araya’s taijutsu, so I didn’t bother to chase him. Since I could safely assume that Setsu would be looking for me, I looked for him instead. I got him to chase me to a place where I could create a clone, and then used henge no jutsu to transform into Darba-sensei. I used the transformed clone to make Setsu think that Darba-sensei had tagged me out, and then chase Setsu. That got Setsu off my tail, thinking I was out, and also occupied him looking for the bandanna that he thought would be where I was caught.”
Darba and Naho leaned in, finding interest in Ido’s story. “So then I made a second clone and transformed that into Setsu. I used henge no jutsu to turn into Setsu as well. My clone looked for Dosa, and I looked for Araya. I wanted to get them to fight one another so that I could take advantage of Araya’s lack of charka afterwards. I used the clones to lead them to where the real Setsu was, since I knew he would be looking for my yellow bandanna in the same place. I just assumed that Araya would win, since he has the strongest combat skills.” Araya lowered his head as a smile came to his face.
“When the real Darba-sensei found me in the woods, I had no choice but to run. I found Setsu and lead Darba-sensei into him, so that he would get tagged out instead of me. Then I continued back to where the starting point was, and used henge no jutsu again to transform into Naho-sensei. I positioned myself in between the grove and where Araya and Dosa were, and just waited. If I had been wrong in thinking Araya would win, then I would’ve had to think of something else, maybe. But I wasn’t wrong.”
Setsu and Araya reflected on Ido’s strategy. “But how were you able to locate everyone so quickly?” Setsu asked. Darba interrupted the two.
“That’s because he knows more about tracking than you. He found you the same way I did when I was watching over the four of you.” Ido smirked.
“Eh…not quite, Darba-sensei. I haven’t developed those kinds of senses yet. It was my jutsu, actually. You’ve seen my toku no jutsu before right? Well, I can use that to shield other people as well, by planting a seal on them and using my charka to form a defense against attacks.” Dosa nodded, with apparent knowledge of the particular technique.
Ido demonstrated. By forming a performing a basic jutsu, he created a circular design on the surface of the table. It was a round circle with the character for ‘seal’ inside. It glowed purple for an instant and then faded away. “I planted shield seals on everyone’s bandannas before the game started. Then, with the bond created between them and myself, I could feel the pull in which direction you all were. Setsu sticks to the trees, so I knew the one that pulled upwards was him. Araya is heavier, and I could feel the vibrations through my charka to know it was him. Dosa was the only one left.” Darba nodded his approval.
“Wow, that’s quite a strategy,” Araya said. Ido shrugged casually.
“It was well done, Ido, but there was one element to the game that you did not take advantage of.” Naho interjected. The four nins turned to her. “In that exercise you demonstrated the ability to chase a target, avoid detection, confuse your enemies, and steal an important object. The one opportunity you passed up was to locate your potential ally. You were hunting Araya, and being hunted by Setsu. You had no conflict with Dosa, and therefore could have allied with him to combat the other two.”
“Hmph. The same goes for you two knuckleheads. You had no quarrel with each other, but you ended up fighting.”
“B-but Darba-sensei, he tricked me with-“
“But nothing, Araya. You’re plenty tough, now it’s time to wise up.” Araya leaned back in defeat. A momentary silence filled the table. “Your training is going to have to pick up.” Darba allowed a few more moments of silence to pass between his words. It created a more serious mood. “Things may change at Hangyukunin in the next few months. You’ll all need to be better prepared.”
“Prepared for what?” Ido asked. His sensei responded.
“For missions. For real combat. What do you think you’ve been training for since you’ve come here? We’ve been soft on you, really. Many of the ninja villages like those of the Sand or the Mist have much harsher training methods for ninja much younger than all of you. Right now, the four of you are all at genin level by the standards of a ninja village.”
“Genin? What…what does that mean?” Setsu asked.
“Genin, the lowest rank of professional ninja. Chuunin, team captains and instructors. Jounin, elite ninjas, teachers, and military captains. If you served a village like Konoha, you would be genin, performing simple tasks. Frankly, within the next year I would hope you four to be at chuunin level.”
“Hmm.” Darba interlocked his fingers and rested his face on his hands. “It seems that you’re going to need tougher training opponents.”
“Tougher opponents. Like…who?” Dosa asked. Darba’s hand slammed down on the table, shocking the four nins.
“A couple of jounins, like us,” he said with a smile.
Chapter 7: Friends and Enemies by gureamusaimon
Darba and Naho sat at the bar and drank sake. Setsu and Ido remained at the table. Araya and Dosa had said they were tired, and left for the dorm. It was late evening. The sun was low and shadows stretched across the ground.
“You’re smart, Setsu, you just need more experience.” Ido said.
“I guess. It just seems…like I’m not improving the way everyone else is. Araya is getting stronger all the time, but I can’t keep up with Darba-sensei’s training. You and Dosa have a bunch of jutsus you can use. All I have is my konoha bunshin.” “Well, you’re younger than we are. And you haven’t been here as long as Araya, either. He’s been with Darba-sensei since he was eleven, about a year and a half. You just need time to…well, get used to his teaching method.”
“I’m not sure. In the last little while I’ve been thinking. Certain teachers are best matched up with certain students, right? I mean, everyone is different. Some people just clash. I’ve been thinking maybe I’m just not right learning under Darba-sensei.” Setsu’s pace quickened, as if he needed to immediately provide an explanation to what he thought would be Ido’s judgmental response. “I mean, look at Araya. He’s a perfect match for Darba-sensei. They’re definitely the same type.”
Ido squinted his eyes slyly. “Who told you that?” he asked.
“What? Nothing. I mean…no one told me anything. I’ve just been thinking is all. You know what I mean?”
“Hmm. Maybe. Listen, Setsu. Darba-sensei is smart. He’s been in a lot of battles and worked with a lot of ninja. Naho-sensei told me that they both used to work together in the Country of Cloud. I think he knows what he’s doing. You just need to focus on your strengths. You and I aren’t like Araya and Dosa. They’ve got more charka than we do.” Setsu showed a renewed interest in the older ninja’s words.
“What do you mean?”
“Well, Araya and Dosa are bigger than we are. They have more muscle mass. The human body creates chakra based upon the mix of physical energy and spiritual energy. People with more organic matter…body mass, I mean…they have more physical energy. They can mold more charka and use more jutsus. You and I are slimmer guys. We have a little less chakra in store. That means we have to be smarter, use what we have more wisely. Maybe it means working a bit harder. Plus, Araya has been working under Darba-sensei’s strict regime for over a year. He’s tougher, and has more stamina than us as well. That’s another factor to consider.”
The blonde nin knew what he was talking about. Setsu continued to listen eagerly. “Take me and Dosa for example. He has much stronger offensive jutsu than I do. The only reason I won the game today was because I worked based on my strengths. You, you’re tricky. I’ve seen you use your leaf clones well before. Build on that. Think of ways to use your strengths against someone else’s weaknesses. And hey…maybe if you change they way you’re training, think from a different perspective, you’ll work up another jutsu for yourself altogether.”
Setsu reflected on Ido’s words and smiled. “Hm. That’s pretty good. Thanks, Ido.” Ido shrugged nonchalantly.
“Neh, whatever. Hey, let’s get out of here. I think we’ll be here all night if we wait for them.” It was true. Darba and Naho seemed to have no intention of leaving the quiet bar. The two nins left Okatsu’s.

Araya and Dosa had been walking back to Hangyukunin. It was only a short walk, ten or fifteen minutes. In between the two settlements, along the topside of the quarry, was a heavily forested area, free of any buildings people, outside of the academy’s walls.
The two had been walking, until they ran into a few familiar faces. In the setting sun stood three other students of Hangyukunin: Tanara Kuro, Uzuki Shiroi, and Doraiya Keikon.
“Hey, kids. How’s school going?” asked Kuro. He and his partner Shiroi were both fifteen. They, along with Keikon and four other students, had been selected to graduate from Hangyukunin Academy and move on to mission and combat training. Kuro was draped in black. He wore a black shirt, pants, and had a black scarf wrapped around his neck. His hair was dark brown and tangled in locks. His eyes were a dark brown, as well. He had a smile on his face that seemed to show amusement in anything he was looking at.
“Don’t bother with them, Kuro. We’ve got more important things to worry about.” Shiroi stood a few inches taller. He wore beige pants and a long sleeved, white top. A black scarf hung around his shoulders just like Kuro did. His hair was dark brown, but long and tied back into a ponytail. He had brown eyes. He face was sleek, but rigid. His cheek bones were high, making his eyes look narrow and precise.
Keikon remained silent. His face showed no smile. He was even taller than Shiroi, wearing his usual brown pants and short, white cloak. The setting shone off his pure white hair. His skin was so pale he looked like a ghost.
“Hmph. Pretty confident,” Araya mumbled. Dosa tapped his shoulder.
“Araya, don’t go acting tough with these guys. They’re pretty elite as far as Hangyukunin students go.” Araya accepted Dosa’s advice and the two kept moving.
“Heh heh. Gee, I thought you were going to act like your usual loudmouth self and try to challenge me or something. I guess you’re less of an idiot than I thought.”
Dosa covered his face with one hand and sighed. He knew there was no point in trying to talk Araya out of a confrontation at that point.
“What did you say!? You think that just because you’re leaving Hangyukunin that I care about a few punks like you? I’ll graduate before you know it. And then I’ll do more missions than all three of you combined. And then I’ll be promoted to chuunin!”
“Ha ha! Only village ninja use that ranking system, you idiot! None of us are genins or chuunins. Who do you think this school was founded by!? What an idiot!” Kuro took great pleasure in mocking the younger Araya.
“W-well that doesn’t matter, I’m still not afraid of a few knuckleheads like you!”
Kuro reached around to his back and pulled out some kind of weapon. “Kuro, I said don’t bother.” Shiroi repeated.
“Aww, come on, Shiroi! We’re going to heave a lot of work to do once we get to the base. I want to have some fun while I’m still playing with kids!”
Shiroi sighed. “Fine, just hurry up, will you?”
“Heh. Keikon, you want to have some fun?”
The tall youth remained still. “I don’t care.” He showed no concern whatsoever.
“Hmph, you’re no fun. Oh well, more for me. Come on kids, this is my favourite time of day to play.” Kuro let his weapon drop to the ground. He dragged it along beside him while slowly advancing towards the two younger boys. It was a curved scythe blade, connected by a long chain to a short, wooden handle. With each step the chain rattled. Araya and Dosa spread out.
“Araya, whatever you do, don’t just-“
“I’ll kick your ass!” Araya shouted, and charged in towards the opponent in black. Dosa shook his head. Kuro smiled. Both Shiroi and Keikon stood back and watched calmly.
Before Araya’s punch could reach Kuro’s face, he pulled up the wooden handle of his weapon and blocked. With a kick to the knee and a flick of his wrist, Kuro managed to wrap a section of his chain around Araya’s arm. He tugged hard on the weapon and pulled Araya off his feet. Dosa quickly formed hand seals and ended with a snake. “Suiton! Dangan no Jutsu!” He breathed in deep and spat a big bullet of water towards Kuro. Dosa saw his attack fly straight for Kuro’s head.
It was a perfect shot. As Dosa prepared for the satisfaction of seeing his attack make contact, he suddenly did a double take. Kuro was gone. In the blink of an eye he had disappeared. Then he heard snickering behind him. “Hey, there.”
Dosa turned to see Kuro standing face to face with him. After another swing of his chain, Dosa was wrapped up by the strange weapon. And in another instant, Kuro was gone again.
“What the hell!?” Araya shouted. Kuro had appeared in his original position, at least ten feet away.
“I told you this was my favourite time to play. Look at your feet, kids.” Dosa looked down and saw Kuro’s shadow intersecting with his own. A bizarre shock came to him.
“The-the shadows!?” Dosa blurted out.
“Ha ha! Good guess. Now, watch this. He pulled hard on the wooden handle of his weapon. Dosa saw the chain that connected to Kuro’s hands pull on Araya’s arm, travel down through his shadow and up from Dosa’s own shadow. There was a space of at least five feet where the chain disappeared inside the shadow.
Shiroi spoke up with arrogance. ”Pathetic. Kuro’s kagesori jutsu allows him to travel through shadows. There’s no way you can bet him in this lighting. He can move anywhere he wants. Idiots.”
Araya noticed that Shiroi had a point. In that type of lighting, the shadows or both trees and people stretched out and intersected with one another. If Kuro could move through shadows, then he had almost the whole terrain to shift about in.
“Heh. You use shadows, eh? Well how about I give you some light? Katon! Goukakyou no Jutsu!” Dosa did not want a fight in the first place, but as soon as he heard ‘katon’, he knew that it would be their only chance to make a move. Araya breathed out a large, steady burst of flame towards Kuro. The flame was bright enough to bend any shadows away from Araya or Dosa. The moment Kuro’s shadow disconnected from Dosa’s, the chain detached from the water nin’s body and shot back into the shadow. Kuro himself stepped back from the heat of the flame. Dosa moved as quickly as he could. “Suiton! Mizame Nabara!”
While Araya’s flame was still burning bright, Dosa spat out a thick liquid that shot past Araya and spread across the ground by Kuro’s feet. The ninja tried to move, but found his feet both stuck tight. “What the shit is this!?” he shouted.
Araya broke free from the chain as well and made a dash for Kuro. He charged in with all his weight and tackled his opponent to the ground. Dosa fell to one knee. The amount of chakra required for the mizame nabara put him to his limit. He wouldn’t be able to use jutsus for the rest of the fight.
Araya laughed at his fallen opponent. “Ha! You can’t move through shadows when you’re stuck to the ground. Take this!” The toughest ninja at Hangyukunin Academy threw a strong right down at his opponent’s face. It would’ve connected, if not for a quick throw by the calm Shiroi.
“Augh! Crap!” he cursed, as the needle struck his wrist. Araya tried to flex his hand, but he found it numb. He couldn’t move his fingers or wrist at all. Shiroi lifted his right hand.
“Hn hn hn. Idiot. I’ve just hit your extensor digitorum. It connects all the tendons in your hand.” He opened his palm and then clenched his fist. Araya was dumbfounded as he watched his own hand mimic Shiroi’s. Araya’s fingers were curling and uncurling independent of his will. Then he noticed a faint blue glimmer in the air. It ran from Shiroi’s hand all the way to Araya, tied to the needle that was planted in his wrist. “Chakra strings.”
“Ch-chakra…strings? Well…whatever your jutsus are, I can stop them!” Araya made a quick attempt to pull the needle from his wrist. Equally as fast, his right hand met his left. Araya’s controlled hand wrestled with his free one, both equal in strength, therefore eliminating the use of both his hands.
Dosa rose to his feet. So did Kuro. He still smiled, but anger filled his eyes. “You didn’t think you kids could win, did you?” He pulled his scythe off the ground and began to swing it high above his head. Each time it passed over Dosa it made a deep whoosh sound. The black dressed ninja swung his weapon down at a sharp angle and guided the chain around Dosa’s waist. He yanked hard and got him off his feet. In a moment, Kuro was standing over Dosa’s toppled body, snickering.
Araya, with neither hand to use, desperately bit at the chakra string. That action brought laughter to Shiroi. “You idiot! You can’t cut those strings! They’re unbreakable!”
The blue string then suddenly broke in half and the connection was severed. Shiroi looked shocked, as did Araya, as Naho’s hand cleanly swept through the chakra string. “Hmm, that’s hardly what I would call unbreakable,” she commented.
Naho calmly walked towards Araya and plucked the needle from his wrist. “Ow.”
Darba stepped casually into the middle of the field and addressed Kuro. “Hey. You had better release him, or you might not make it out of Hangyukunin.” Kuro hesitated. His eyes narrowed and a smirk came to his face.
“So you’re the tough guy teacher that people talk about? My sensei never spoke too highly of you.” Darba allowed himself to chuckle.
“Your sensei’s only outstanding skill is how much he can drink. I’ll tell him what you said the next time we sit down to some sake.” A flicker of movement flashed in both Dosa’s and Kuro’s eyes. Darba was then leaning over Kuro’s shoulder. “I thought I said to let him go?” Kuro’s eyes widened in shock.
The black draped ninja moved through the shadows in an instant, putting space between him and the sensei. Dosa watched as Darba appeared in a flash of speed, directly behind Kuro. The young nin grumbled and traveled through the shadows again. Once again, Darba appeared at his side. “You’re not the only one that’s quick…kid.” Kuro stared into Darba’s eyes with a look of bitterness. He twisted his wrist, releasing the chain from Dosa and pulled it back into his grasp. Shiroi stared at Naho with a narrow, penetrating glare. The two nins walked back towards Keikon, who had remained unmoving the entire time. He simply watched with cold, apathetic eyes.
Naho looked at all three of them. “You had better get to bed early, boys. You’re leaving Hangyukunin tomorrow morning, correct?” She sensed anger from Kuro, cruelty from Shiroi, and when she looked into Keikon’s eyes… Was that the wind just now? She rubbed her arms as the three graduated ninjas returned to their dorms.
The sun finally set and the evening became twilight. Dosa and Araya got to their feet and thanked their teachers for the help. “Araya, did you start that fight?” Darba asked his pupil.
“N-no, sensei! It was them…him, that Kuro bastard!”
"Hm. Yeah, I know. He’s a tough one, Tanara Kuro. From an offshoot of the Nara clan, the shadow users from the south of the Fire Country. But as for the string user…”
“I’ve seen such techniques before,” Naho broke in. “It takes great speed and accuracy to combine chakra strings with flying weapons. I suspect he has some knowledge of the human body to be able to manipulate Araya’s hand so precisely. He’s quite skilled, I imagine. Though that Keikon he’s something else. Unlike the other two.”
“Yes. He has a peculiar presence. His chakra is…unpleasant.” Araya and Dosa could only imagine at what their sensei’s perceived from the silent Keikon. Whatever he was, his abilities seemed to still be hidden. “I didn’t get to finish my sake.” Darba said glumly. “Oh well. Lucky for them I’m not drunker than I am, elsewise I might not have held back. Heh.”
Naho raised an eyebrow in humour. “I think the night is over. Let’s head back. The four ninjas made their way back to the Hangyukunin grounds. Dosa and Araya’s scope of Hangyukunin ninja was changing.

It was past midnight. Setsu walked across the bridge that crossed the gap of the quarry. It was a wide, rope bridge. A full moon shone above his head. He looked down into dark depths of the quarry. In the day you could easily see the surface below, but at night it appeared bottomless. Almost as if, if one fell, they would never reach the bottom, and just fall forever. Setsu stared into the seemingly infinite black below him as a chill made him shiver.
“Why are you here?” The voice behind him sent a violent shock through Setsu. It was the sudden appearance of the voice, however, not the voice itself. The voice was soft and faint. Setsu turned on the spot to see a student of Hangyukunin behind him. The bright moonlight shone of his white hair and clothes, giving him a glow.
Doraiya Keikon stood still, without expression. Setsu regained his breath and managed to speak “Keikon! Wh-what are you doing here?” Fear of the ninja gripped Setsu. It was night; there was no one around. Setsu really didn’t know what Keikon might do.
“I asked you the same question,” he replied.
“Y-yes, you did. I couldn’t sleep. I came here to think.” The pale ninja’s gaze remained solidly fixed on Setsu’s eyes. There was no deviation from his stance, no shifting of weight or unnecessary movement of the body. There was no wasted motion.
“Why the bridge? What is it about this place that allows you to think clearer than anywhere else? Setsu didn’t hesitate to answer such questions. The unsettling presence that Keikon possessed, offered enough fear for Setsu to hurry with each response.
“I…I don’t know. Nothing in particular. I guess just to be alone.” Setsu didn’t know what the Keikon was thinking. The process of his mind was completely masked by his unchanging exterior.
“I understand. To be alone, separated from others. Is that what you feel when you come here? Alone?”
“Yes.”
“Do you like the feeling?” The younger nin’s head lowered sheepishly.
“I suppose, sometimes. Do…do you feel the same way?” Setsu looked back up into Keikon’s pale grey eyes, probing, wondering his intentions.
“I don’t feel anything.” Keikon’s response was quick. There was no reflection given to the question, no effort of intimidation or boasting. He just stated a fact, as cleanly as possible. The cold, steady focus of Keikon’s eyes penetrated Setsu’s being, weighing down upon him.
“You…don’t feel anything? How is that possible?”
“I don’t know. But I know that I am alive, here and now, so it must be possible.”
Setsu thought on what he heard and tried to make reason of it. No feelings or emotions? What is he?
“Then how do you make decisions? How do you choose to do one thing or another?”
“By the will of others. Zakuya-sensei says that is why I will make a perfect shinobi.” Each time he responded Setsu knew he was not lying. With each bizarre truth that he learned, Setsu felt the chill of Keikon’s eyes channeling into him. It wasn’t just a thought; he actually felt it in his body. The leaf user began to crumple slightly, holding one hand to his chest to ensure that his heart was still beating.
“Then…why do you smile?” he asked, somewhat weak of breath. That was the first time Keikon allowed a pause, as if his response required more than just a mechanical function.
“To try. Zakuya-sensei told me that to live without happiness is to be dead. Sometimes I try to force emotion to come out…just to feel…anything.” Setsu looked away from Keikon. His eyes were too cold to stare into for long. “Setsu, tell me what it is to feel.”
“I…To feel?” No words seemed to be able to describe what emotion was. Keikon waited patiently as Setsu stumbled for an answer. “Feelings are…well, feelings are when you care about something or someone. To care about someone you know is when you recognize something that you like about a person. It could be anything. You might feel compassion, or friendship, or even anger towards them. Those are all emotions.”
“What about fear?” The response was fast. Is this guy for real?
“Fear is when…fear is a feeling that you get when something threatens to hurt you.”
“To recognize that one day you will die? That is fear?” It was getting colder out.
“Fear of death, yes. Fear of death is the strongest fear. When you or someone you care about is going to die.”
“I see. As I thought, your opinions of emotion are entirely different than that of anyone else’s. It seems no two people can offer congruous responses. I wonder if there is any real answer, or just a thousand different opinions.”
“Well, no, there isn’t any one single answer. And there are more than a thousand opinions, way more. There’s a different opinion for every single person alive. That’s was emotion is, it’s not about black or white. It’s shades of grey.”
For the first time, in what was truly shocking, Keikon’s face changed from its neutral demeanor. His eyes grew wide and his mouth seemed to gasp silently. Setsu felt the icy fear at that moment more than ever. It looked as if Keikon had tasted something for the first time, and was disgusted by it.
“Shades of grey?” his voice trembled. Moments of heavy breathing passed until Keikon collected himself. “I see.” He turned and walked back to the Academy dorms. Setsu sighed in relief. What was that?
Before walking out of earshot, Keikon stopped and turned. “Setsu.” The younger nin looked to Keikon, his long frame glimmering under the white light from above. “When the full moon is out, I feel restless…I think I like the moon.” And with that, he left. Setsu was alone in the dark on the rope bridge.
Chapter 8: Eight Days Later by gureamusaimon
Tenumuki Damo focused his chakra. He used the third eye jutsu to create a small sphere high in the air. The technique allowed Damo to look through the third eye and peer upon all the students and instructors of Hangyukunin. The elderly shinobi focused and began to control the eye.
It moved over trees and tall grass, seeing students train with their teachers. Aoi Naho ran drills with her two students. Neither one was ready for missions, but both were satisfactory. Mayamoha Darba did the same with his own students. He had them molding their chakra, performing henge no jutsu. One performed adequately, one struggled. Damo sighed at the sight of the student’s failure. He wondered how many of them would actually be put to use in the future.
The eye moved over the central fighting ring and saw the newly arrived students being shown about the grounds by Hibika Shiyo. She explained the layout of Hangyukunin and led them towards the dorms. Before long they would all be assigned personal instructors, and new groups would form. Yamoto Soma had room available for one more student, as did several other teachers.
New students were brought in from all around the Fire Country. In the Hidden Leaf Village, only children with family ties to current ninja were trained in nindo. That was the ideal way. It kept the products of strong bloodlines in service to each village. Hangyukunin was no hidden village though. It didn’t have the support of any clans to bring in new recruits. Students were brought in from villages across the country. Often, the shinobi of Hangyukunin would scout for children with potential among poor families and orphanages. It was easier for youths to devote themselves to the academy if they were coming from poverty or abandonment.
The third eye floated down to where the senior shinobi ran formation drills. Damo watched as the chuunin and jounin level ninja devised battle strategies. Their numbers were few, but enough to defend against any small forces that would instigate aggression. Hangyukunin had been quiet recently, but Damo suspected that the peace would not last long. For their plans to take effect, they would need to act within the next few months.
Damo watched as his third eye found Zakuya’s private quarters and snuck in through the window. He was training one of his students, the junior of the two girls. Zakuya had recently taken Kimichi Tuya as a pupil to replace Doraiya Keikon. Damo didn’t know why he had wanted that girl specifically, but he didn’t bother to question the decision. Soma had given her agreement for Zakuya to take Tuya in under his wing. Damo had learned long ago that as sneaky and clever as Zakuya was, he was never disloyal.
The sensei stood with both arms behind his back as Tuya molded her chakra. She concentrated, breathing deeply. The eye floated around the corner of the room to see Zakuya staring intently at the girl. A faint reddish glow began to appear from the young nin. Now what is he up to? Damo thought.
Zakuya’s eyes shifted in their sockets. “Damo-san, why are you here?” He turned and spotted the floating eye. “This is a private lesson for my student. I’m sure your eyes could be better served elsewhere, my friend.” Tuya seemed confused as to who he was speaking to. Damo chuckled to himself. Always sharp, isn’t he?
Damo interlocked his fingers and said “release.” The eye vanished into thin air. He had always known Jashin Zakuya to be a genius. Twenty-four years ago, when Sebumi Oda and Tenamuki Damo left their home countries, they had met in the Country of Fire. Shortly after, they encountered a young man named Jashin Zakuya; although at the time, he went by a different name. For one of his age, he possessed impressive skills and intellect. He also spoke with surprising bitterness and wisdom for a young man. Damo had been thirty, Zakuya had been sixteen. The three of them had had similar goals: to be free of the authority of feudal lords and kages, to find a place where their own forces might grow, and to investigate the kinjutsus that village shinobi deemed ‘too dangerous’ for proper study.
And that was the beginning of Hangyukunin. Zakuya used his knowledge of the Fire Country to pinpoint the spot that was least focused on by feudal lords, and out of the immediate reach of Konoha. Damo and Oda had fellow shinobi from the countries of Stone and Cloud that saw it favourable to help fund the academy. Within a few years, they had gathered enough men to begin mercenary work. They were taking in students to train as well. They had created connections with small neighbouring villages that formed a network for them to work through. All the while they remained under the radar of larger authorities, hidden from official politics, and detached from the ninja wars that gripped major ninja villages.
And on that day, so many years after the founding of Hangyukunin, Tenamuki Damo had the satisfaction of knowing that his original goal was near completion. The goal that he had kept secret from all his allies and benefactors, his faithful disciples, and even Oda and Zakuya, was within months of fruition.
Damo turned his attention to the large map that hung in his quarters. He found the spot that he had pinpointed long ago and tapped on it with a half smile. “Hmm. Not long, now.”

It was a sunny day out. Darba stood with his hands on his hips, looking at his two students. He stretched his neck and flexed his broad shoulders. Running a hand across his face, his fingers rasped against the coarse beard that he had let grow in. Araya sat on the lowest of four large tree braches, panting heavily. Setsu lay flat on his back on the grassy ground below. Darba questioned his approach on the matter. Three hours and this is it? The tree climbing exercise was not going as well as he had planned.
Araya was a brute, he knew. He knew because he was one himself. Sensitive control of chakra output was something that Darba had estimated Araya would have trouble with. Setsu surprised him though. He had thought that Setsu had better control of his chakra, and that walking up the surface of a tree would have been easier for him. He hadn’t even been able to get to the first branch of his tree, something that Araya had accomplished within half an hour. The young nin got to his feet
“Setsu, like I said, focus your chakra into your feet. Concentrate.” He turned to his teacher with a look of frustration.
“I am focusing. I am concentrating.”
“Then try again, alright!?” Darba remained tough on Setsu. He didn’t want to let up on either of them, though at the same time, he recognized that he was not getting through to Setsu, and the frustration was building in the boy. He wondered why recently, training had been so hard for him. When Setsu had first come to Darba, he had been every bit a bright, young student, eager to learn. It was only in recent months that the difference between his two students had become significant. Araya had gained a strong grasp of his taijutsu and ninjutsu. Setsu had been unable to keep up in either field.
Setsu took a deep breath and charged for the tree. His first foot made contact with the bark. Darba watched with anticipation. One step, two steps, three steps, four steps. Yes Setsu…you’re doing it. Now don’t fall, damn you! With his hand mere inches away from the nearest branch, he made a desperate grab, as his foot lost its grip. Araya could only watch and wince as his partner fell straight down and landed on his backside. Darba shook his head.
“Alright, Araya get down here. Both of you take a break.” The two young nins rested on the outer steps of their dorm as Darba left for where Naho was training. Aoi Naho had become a chuunin six months before Darba had himself. They were often partnered together for missions within the Country of Cloud, their home. They had left together because of confliction and corruption within the Hidden Village of Cloud. They both found solace at Hangyukunin and a place to learn and teach. That had been about seven years ago.
Darba found Naho giving her students the same lesson he had been giving Setsu and Araya. He grumbled when he saw Dosa sitting on a branch twice as high as Araya’s, and Ido confidently standing on one even higher. “Naho-san…er, looks like your training is coming along well.”
She shrugged. “Well, they have been at it for about three hours, now, so it’s to be expected.
Ido raised an eyebrow in mock concern. “Hm. And here I thought I was special.” Dosa laughed.
“How about your two?” As soon as Naho’s question had formed, she received an answer from Darba’s expression. “Oh…that well, huh? Hmm, Dosa, Ido, take a break!” The two nins made their way safely down from the tree branches and left for the dorm. Naho ushered Darba down onto a patch of grass and found a seat there herself. “Alright, lay it on me.”
Darba sighed. “It’s…exactly what you think it is. Hangyukunin is moving along. Students are graduating and more are coming in. Araya has come along well enough, but Setsu is…” Naho leaned back in the grass. She wore her common white dress with blue trim and black skirt. Her eyes were blue and her hair was jet black.
“Darba-kun, it isn’t like you to worry about these things. Setsu will surely come along in time. What else is bothering you?” Darba leaned forward onto his knees and clenched his hands together.
“Naho-chan…it’s what Zakuya said. He has graduated three students in the last year. And now he’s taken Tuya in and from what I’ve heard, had a breakthrough with her. Even Soma-sensei said she was amazed at what Zakuya has done with her. And it’s barely been a week! I just think…maybe he’s right. Maybe I should turn Setsu over to him. If there is potential in him…it seems I just can’t find it. Maybe he can.”
Naho shook her head. “Now that isn’t the Darba I know. The Darba I know would say that Zakuya is a shit-headed bastard who needs to keep his mouth shut. Forget about Zakuya. Don’t compare yourself to someone that is nothing like you. He has his students, you have yours. Just stick it out with Setsu. This is just another kind of training for you. Come one, you never back down from a challenge.”
Darba smiled. “Yeah, you’re right. It’s okay that I still want to punch Zakuya in the face though, right?” Naho returned the smile.
“I wouldn’t expect any less from you.” Naho grabbed his thick arm and pulled herself in to kiss him. The two embraced in the warm sun. “We should really appreciate this, before everything turns to shit. The academy I mean.”
“Yeah, things will be changing here. I imagine it’ll be less than six months before Damo has us on the move. Hangyukunin will just be a memory.” Naho leaned into Darba and rested herself in his arms.
“True. It’s been a good number of years. A lot of things accomplished. A lot left to do.”
“Heh. Like find a decent bar in the Fire Country. Okatsu’s doesn’t cut it for me.” Naho laughed. “And maybe show Araya everything I wanted to teach him…and then punch Zakuya in the face.” The two both laughed.
“That’s for certain. Go easy on him, Darba-kun, he’s an old man, compared to us. You might knock that silly, little, pointed beard off his face.” The two enjoyed the their moment of laughter in the sun
Zakuya could barely contain his giddiness as he watched the two. A crooked, angular smile came to his face and his eyes lit up with a malevolent humour. Oh, Naho. You don’t think of me with high regard after all? He snickered with fervor. You lying, little bitch. The shadow clone disappeared with a pwof and the true Zakuya, alone in his quarters, began to laugh hysterically. It was the merriment of imagining that woman’s body and the many ways he could damage it.

Setsu lay on his bunk, staring up at the wooden planks that formed the roof of his dorm room. Araya sat on his bunk below and Ido and Dosa spoke nearby. They were talking about their training earlier that day. Setsu closed his eyes and blocked their voices out. What am I doing here? Why is this so hard? Why do I care so much? He sighed heavily as his three housemates engaged in talk of chakra and jutsus and hand seals and so many things that he could not stand to apply thought to at the moment.
“Setsu, let’s go.” Araya said. He was cheerful as always.
“No. I’m done for today. Go without me.” Araya’s expression turned blank. The idea of turning down training didn’t register with him.
“But, we both need to get better. You won’t improve by just sitting here. Come on, Darba-sensei is waiting for us.”
“I said I’m done.” He rolled to his right side, away from Araya.
Ido cleared his throat. “Er, I think Setsu’s pretty tired, Araya. You can train with us if you want. Let’s give him some rest, eh?” Araya was put out. He didn’t easily accept defeat, whether it was his own, or his friends’ He applied a more serious tone.
“Setsu, I don’t know if you noticed, but Darba-sensei has been working really hard trying to get you up to speed. He really wants you to improve. You’re falling behind, you know? Setsu…do you know what I mean?”
The leaf nin rose and took a seat on his bed. His glare was filled with anger. “No, Araya, I didn’t notice! I haven’t noticed that I can’t perform any jutsus right! I haven’t noticed the way Darba looks at me whenever I screw up! No, I haven’t noticed ‘cause I’m a goddamn idiot!!” The room was painfully quiet for seemingly the longest time. Dosa turned and began to exit. Ido scratched his head. Araya looked vacant, partially hurt and partially confused by Setsu’s words.
“Alright,” was all he said before exiting the room with Dosa. Ido opened his mouth to speak, but stopped before any words came about. Soon enough, Setsu was alone. Fuck.
Chapter 9: The Shape of Things to Come by gureamusaimon
Sebumaki Ido leaned against the wooden fence posts that made up the central fighting ring of Hangyukunin. It was warm and windy as practice matches took place in the ring. They were all voluntary, so Ido could relax and just watch. Most of the students of Hanyukunin were gathered, either watching or participating in the matches. Darba-sensei and Naho-sensei were about. Dosa and Araya stood nearby. Setsu was no where to be found.
Five days had passed since he had had his outburst at Araya. In that time, he had either been quiet or gone altogether. He seemed awfully negative towards Araya. He hadn’t even been training with him. He hadn’t been around the dorm much at all. Ido had tried to speak with him once, but he was very dismissive. Ido had no problem just letting him be, however. After some time, Setsu would surely come around.
Inside the ring was Kimichi Tuya facing off against Torizuka Hiyama. Tuya was thirteen, small, cute, and quick. She had a scruffy mop of orange hair, tied back in a ponytail. Small beads were tied to the hair that came down at the sides of her head. Tuya entered the match as the underdog, but from what Ido had seen, had a fair chance to win. Hiyama was busy enough keeping up with her attacks.
Hiyama was fourteen, the same age as Ido. She was from a small clan of bird users, a distant relative of the Inuzuka clan. Armed with her falcon, she was focused and determined. Hiyama was brown haired, with a large lock falling down across on side of her face. She wore white pants and a sky blue shirt, with a grey vest on top. On either arm, a brown leather glove reached from knuckle to elbow. Both girls seemed about even in skill, as the match had shown so far.
Hiyama’s falcon dove down in an attack. Tuya ducked out of the way, but was still under assault from Hiyama herself. She swung a punch at Tuya’s face, but missed. Tuya continued to block or dodge the bird user’s strikes. Tuya quickly hopped into a back flip, landing a kick to Hiyama’s face and ceasing her attack. The redhead landed in a squat and quickly ruffled through her pouch. “Come on Hiyama!” shouted Jori, from ringside. Tanaka Jori was Hiyama’s training partner.
Ido focused his eyes to see what she was pulling out. He couldn’t quite see, and began to circle around the ring to find a better position. He drew nearer to the fighters as Hiyama recovered from the blow. She lunged in, but was not fast enough. Tuya formed the hand seals, Ram-Boar-Ox-Dog-Snake, all at impressive speed. Fast.
“Bunshin no Jutsu!” Hiyama came within striking distance just as Tuya threw a smoke bomb to the ground. The weapon exploded and spread into a large, dark cloud, as she left the fray. Hiyama got to her feet and looked around her. There were suddenly five images of Tuya. Hiyama bit her lip as her eyes scanned each clone, trying to determine which the real one was. Hmm, what are you going to do? Ido wondered.
“Taka!” The bird user called to her falcon. It swooped down and landed on her left arm. The bird’s talons gripped on to the leather covering that she wore along her forearm. “I’ll just attack each one until I hit you! Go, Taka!” the falcon spread its wings and soared towards one of the Tuyas. Its claws scratched at her face, but phased through as the clone disappeared with a pwof. “Taka, again!”
The bird performed the same move again, diving through another clone. Only three Tuyas remained, none of which seemed to be preparing an attack. The falcon swooped down to attack once more. This time, the Tuya under assault dove to the ground, avoiding the bird’s claws.
“Ha! That’s the real one!” Hiyama exclaimed. She pulled out her kunai and charged in while Tuya was still down. The bird user thrust her kunai downwards and made a direct hit. Other students seemed shocked at the sight of Hiyama’s blade jutting out of Tuya’s stomach. Tuya’s face was vacant; her body was lifeless. The only movement that occurred was when the redhead’s skin began to swell up, almost inflating.
“Shit!” Hiyama leapt to her feet, but could not escape the trap. The Tuya clone exploded in a barrage of shurikens and kunai. Hiyama shrieked as the blades slashed along her arms, legs, and shoulders, making surface cuts everywhere. Of the last remaining images of Tuya, one clone vanished and the real Kimichi Tuya charged in with a solid kick to the stunned Hiyama. The bird user was knocked off her feet. Taka could only circle above; the match was over.
Ido crossed his arms and reflected on Tuya’s tactic. She used a smoke bomb as a diversion to make the clones, then the clones as a distraction from a trap clone. Not exactly foolproof, but it got the job done. Ido joined the other ninja that clapped for the exciting victory. Tuya was clearly pleased with herself. Hiyama’s training partner, Jori, entered the ring to assist her out.
As the applause died down, Ido noticed a persisting clap coming from his immediate left. He turned his head and looked up to see Jashin Zakuya still applauding for his student. The man’s eyes turned and met with Ido’s. “Quite impressive, wouldn’t you say?”
Ido swallowed. “Er…yes. Definitely.” Zakuya smiled casually before leaving Ido at ringside and making his way to his victorious student. The Sebumaki youth sensed a strange feeling from Zakuya. Man…his eyes. Creepy.
A few Hangyukunin ninja commented on Kimichi Tuya. “So improved,” they said. “She’ll be ready by next examination,” Ido then heard. Zakuya put a hand on Tuya’s shoulder and gave her words of praise. She smiled. A pleased look of satisfaction beamed from her face, until the red haired girl made a sudden jerk. She grabbed her bare shoulder and fell to one knee. Zakuya followed her down, comforting her. A few ninja nearby turned to see what the problem was. Ido paid special attention, focusing on Tuya. He was standing too far away to hear what Zakuya was saying to her, but the blonde nin noticed a strange mark on Tuya’s shoulder, almost a burn. Ido narrowed his eyes and saw that the reddish mark was no random shape, it was a seal. The circle had a character inside as well. What is that symbol? Ido knew that there was something strange about that seal.
Zakuya quickly helped Tuya to her feet and guided her away from the fighting area. The two were soon gone and the next fight was beginning. Ido didn’t wait around to watch. He exited the central area of Hangyukunin and took the path that Zakuya had exited by. Now, where did they go?

Damo stared through his third eye. Kimichi Tuya has come far, fast, under Zakuya-san. He is still as good as ever at finding a student’s potential and bringing it out. Now, if he can keep this progress up…
“Damo-sama!” Damo’s subordinate barged into his office. “There is someone important here to see you. They-”
“Sai! Don’t you know better than to interrupt me when I’m using the third eye? It requires much concentration and-“
“Damo-sama! Pardon the interruption, but this is important! There are men here from Konoha! They want to speak with you!” Damo released his jutsu and rose to his feet. Without announcement, three men suddenly walked into his office, completely ignoring the presence of Damo’s aide, Sai. The councilor of Hangyukunin Academy felt a chill run over his body at the sight of them. No. No, damn it, not them.
All three men wore black cloaks. Their faces were hidden behind white masks of different design. They were masks that concealed the faces of the men and women that served the most important and missions of Konoha. They were the agents and assassins, people who took care of business and cleaned up the mess afterwards.
“ANBU,” Damo said. “What are you doing here?” One of the three ushered Sai into the hall and closed the door on him. Another then began to speak.
“I think, Damo-sama, the more important question is…what are you doing here?” Tenumuki Damo gritted his teeth.

Sebumaki Ido walked along the stone path that led from the center of Hangyukunin, through the eastern dorms, and then north to the teacher’s private quarters. He had lost Zakuya, but he remembered where his quarters were. That was where he was most likely to go.
He knew there was something strange about the mark on Tuya’s arm, but he didn’t know what. The Sebumaki clan was skilled in the use of seals. Ido had learned about the different kinds and how they were used when he was very young. What he had seen on Tuya’s arm was not a normal seal.
The blonde ninja made his way up to the sensei quarters, each building a free standing structure of two floors. Zakuya-sensei’s home was similar in design to all the others’. It was a narrow building, sized between an apartment and house. It looked much like the other buildings of Hangyukunin, mostly brown of wood with a white section of wall on the front. Other teachers’ residences were not far away, some within sight. Hangyukunin was built in the middle of a forest, though, and trees provided significant cover in every direction.
Ido drew near the house and positioned himself behind some trees nearby. He waited and thought out his action. Before long, the front door opened and someone emerged. Ido’s brow furrowed in confusion when he saw it was Mimito Setsu.
Setsu walked down the path that Ido had come from, and the blonde ninja met him before he could walk too far away. “Setsu.” Setsu nearly jumped as Ido came out from the trees.
“Ido! What is it?” Ido was in a strangely motivated mood; he didn’t waste any time.
“What were you doing coming from Zakuya’s place?” Setsu sucked in a quick breath and crossed his arms. Whatever he’s about to say is going to be a lie.
“I needed to, um…speak with Zakuya-sensei.”
“About what?”
“Nothing important. Does it matter? He just told me about something I had been doing wrong, and he said he could help me with it.” Ido relaxed. Whatever Setsu’s intentions with Zakuya were, Ido knew they weren’t part of his current concern.
“Alright, Setsu. That’s fair. It’s your business, not mine.” Setsu looked relieved and offered a slight smile. “Let me just suggest that whatever you do, don’t forget who your sensei is.” The friendly pause had broken.
“Darba has enough to keep him busy. I don’t think he’ll mind me learning a thing or two from Zakuya.”
“You do whatever you want, Setsu. I’m just saying, be honest. Don’t think that people haven’t noticed how you were barely around these last few days. If you’re going to commit to Zakuya, then at least have the guts to tell Darba-sensei.”
Setsu’s head hung sheepishly. He was somewhat humbled that Ido had responded so accurately to what he was thinking. “Yeah. Yeah, I know.” The two separated in silence; Setsu headed towards the fighting ring, Ido returned his gaze to Zakuya’s house.

One of the masked men crossed his arms. They were waiting for Damo’s answer. “I’ll ask you again, Damo-sama, what are your intentions with this school?” Damo calmed himself. This isn’t the end of anything. They are just suspicious. We haven’t yet done anything that they can accuse us of.
“Out intentions are purely mundane. We provide services to the locals, tasks for the poor and distant that the ninja of Konoha are often too busy to deal with. In return, we make money to continue our training and manage our supplies. We enjoy being detached from the duty of the feudal lords of the Country of Fire, which allows us a more simple existence. Whatever you think we are guilty of, please share with me, so that I can prove to you we are no threat to Konoha.”
The lead ANBU agent remained unmoving. His voice from behind the mask was low and calm. “Damo-sama, we are not yet accusing you of anything. But we have noticed a strange accompaniment of individuals in your so called school. From our observations there are a number of experienced ninja who train and instruct, here. Almost all of them have unpleasant histories with different hidden villages.” The agent allowed silence to fill the room, expecting Damo to fill it in with an explanation. He did not. “I can list a few for example. Kyoujo Usama, exiled from the Hidden Village of Waterfall. Hibika Shiro, gone missing from the Hidden Village of Leaf, Aoi Naho and Mayamoha Darba, both exiled from the Hidden Village of Cloud. Hyuuga-“
“That’s enough,” Damo interrupted. “I see your point and I recognize your right for concern. The sensei of this school are all…missing nins. I can see why you would find suspicion in this. But we are not criminals. Some have made mistakes in the past; some have left their homes and found themselves here. Hangyukunin is a place where sins of the past can be forgotten. We have formed an organization that bears no grudge against any countries or any hidden villages.
When I founded this place, I called it Hangyukunin with the definition of the word in mind. ‘Renegade’ was what I called myself long ago. Now, I have brought many together under the name ‘renegade’ with a common, peaceful goal in mind. We help the needy, we support ourselves. We believe that as citizens of the Country of Fire, independence is our right. So long as we harm no one, then our small school should not concern of assassins from Konoha.”
Damo’s speech brought further silence from the ANBU agents. Behind their masks they thought on his words. Damo could read nothing from them. It was no surprise; they were trained that way. Finally, the group leader spoke.
“You misjudge us. We are no assassins. Were you expecting some?” Damo clenched his jaw. “But I was not sent to scold you for your previous transgressions. In fact, none of the names that I listed are considered ‘criminals’ in the bingo book. Not even the Hyuuga. Instead, I was sent to inquire about the type of students you are training. They are not simple poor and undefended children, as you would have Konoha believe.
Sebumaki Ido, from the genius Sebumaki clan, Tanara Kuro, from the extended Nara clan, Uzuki Shiroi, a young genius of skilled medical shinobi. There are many more students that are not ‘mundane’ in the slightest. ANBU finds it odd that you were even able to locate so many geniuses or those that possess rare clan abilities.” Damn. At least they didn’t mention Keikon.
“We have watched your ‘training’ and seen your military defense. The abilities of your shinobi do not seem to be suited to simple defense. They are capable of much more than aiding the ‘poor and distant’ citizens of our country. With such heavy hitters, it looks as though you’re preparing an attack.” Damo didn’t have an excuse for what the agent spoke of. His tone became defensive.
“Your accusation is unfounded. We are far too small to be a threat to Konoha or any of the hidden villages. Who would we target?”
“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” the agent responded. Damo stopped himself from flinching. He knew they had no proof, no reason to use force. Their questions and his answers would be the only contest between Hangyukunin and Konoha.
“Do you have anything more to say, or are you going to continue to toss your imaginations of war at me?”
The agent turned about and faced the door. All three ANBU members began their silent exit. Damo sighed a tiny sigh as the door closed behind them. He stopped when he saw the gloved hand of one agent linger on the doorknob. His lungs stayed empty a moment longer than usual.
“Damo-sama, one point you may find interesting is the nature of the other investigation we are looking into.” The white mask turned to Damo as the robed man stood in the doorway. “There have been a number of corpses recovered in the nearby area. All children, between the ages of twelve and fifteen. Their bodies were malformed to an abnormal state. Quite bizarre. The only clue that we could find was that each body held an unusual seal. They all bore the mark ‘phoenix.’ Does that mean anything to you, Damo-sama?”
Damo experienced, almost enjoyed the feeling of not having to hide anything, allowing him to speak honestly. “I have no idea.” The agent nodded and exited Damo’s office. The door closed shut. Phoenix? What have I been uninformed of?
Chapter 10: The Power of Tai! by gureamusaimon
Araya didn’t know why Ido had left after the last match; it was going to be a good one. Tanaka Jori was skilled in taijutsu. He was two years older than Araya, and a good foot taller. He was a similar height with Keikon, except well muscled. He had a mop of spiky, brown hair that hung down to his shoulder blades. He wore grey pants with many pockets and a tight, red vest that left his muscled arms exposed. On his left hand was a thick, fingerless glove with metal, knuckle studs. What stood out the most about him though, were his eyes; they were black, but seemed to have a diamond of light reflecting off of each at all times. He jogged around the center of the ring and threw a few punches to warm up.
His opponent was Waramo Kaira. He was sixteen and a more experienced student of Hangyukunin. He stood nearly as tall as Jori, with an even thicker build, equaling the size of even Darba. His large frame was covered by brown pants and a sleeveless, white shirt. He had short, sandy brown hair, cropped to the shape of his skull. His rough, patchy beard was the same colour.
“Make sure to watch this match, Araya. Both of these two are skilled taijutsu users, especially Jori. I’d say they’re the only two at Hangyukunin that are tougher than you.” Araya looked at his sensei with wide eyes.
“Tougher than me?” He turned back to the match with a renewed interest. Let’s see what these guys can do. An examiner entered the ring and announced both ninja.
“The match will be…Tanaka Jori, versus…Waramo Kaira!” The examiner leapt from the ring as the match began.
Jori wasted no time in beginning his attack. He charged at Kiara and dove in with a toe kick. Kaira’s bulky frame seemed less inclined to dodge, and blocked the kick instead. Jori didn’t stop there, though, and hammered down and right elbow, followed by a left hook. Both moves were blocked, although the second almost connected.
Kaira blocked Jori’s moves easily enough, but was soon losing ground to the taller nin. He was being backed up against the fence. With a quick drop to his knees, Kaira hit the ground and pounded both his fists down hard. Jori’s stance wavered at the impact. With surprising speed, Kaira got to his feet and charged into his opponent. He let out a grunt as Jori was knocked clear to the other side of the ring. Kaira got to his feet and stomped the ground heavily. “Heh.”
“A real bull, that one.” Darba commented.
Jori pulled himself up, appearing uninjured. He thrust his right fist into an open left palm. “Alright. Time to get serious. Ninpo! Kame no Tora no Jutsu!” He stomped his feet down and squatted into a low stance, his muscles flexing and his fists tightening. His eyes flared with a burning focus. He shouted out what sounded like a roar and charged in towards Kaira.
Jori lunged with a punch and Kiara defended with both arms. Jori grabbed on and pulled himself in, raking across Kaira’s chest with his other open hand. His fingers were curled like claws. A section of Kaira’s shirt was torn off by Jori’s strike.
“Darba-sensei. What is that? The way he’s moving…”
“Yes. This is a strong, old form of taijutsu called the animal spirit fist. The practitioner will mold his chakra and focus all his energy into the mindset of a certain animal. If they have enough chakra, they will partially become the animal. He’s used the tiger spirit.” Araya was puzzled.
“Become the animal?”
“Just watch. Look at his hands, Darba told his student. Araya watched Jori’s hand strikes. Focusing on his fingers, Araya could actually see chakra taking the physical form of claws extending from Jori’s fingertips. Each time he raked with his curled fingers, they would tear against Kaira’s skin. Kaira backed away, with several gashes on his arms and chest. Jori hunched over and growled in a low tone, his long mane of hair and glinting eyes actually giving him an animal’s appearance.
“Is he actually thinking like a tiger, sensei?” Araya asked.
“Yes. That’s the effect of the animal spirit fist. It changes your instincts and senses to those of an animal. Right now, he is part man, part tiger. It has the advantages and the weaknesses too. Remember that.” Araya thought on that.
Kaira managed to gain a moment of recovery. He squatted down low and slapped his palms together. “Hn. You think you can beat me using that animal crap!? Come on!” the older ninja shouted deeply. Jori let out another man-human roar and rushed in at full speed. “Moron. Kasui Bugu no Jutsu.” Jori drew in close with both hands curled into tiger claws. Kaira held his palms together and began to groan. “Hnnnnnnnnnnnaaaugh!” He let out a rough scream and a blast of dust spewed up from the ground beneath both competitors.
Everyone watching gasped at the sight and sound of Kaira’s attack. The dust cleared to expose Jori down on his back, clutching his right hand. His wrist was crumpled, as if injured when performing his last strike. Araya’s eyes grew wide when he turned to Kaira, however. Waramo Kaira had transformed himself. His skin had turned a dark grey colour. Short spines protruded through his torn clothes. His eyes had turned completely black and his hair had become a light grey. He was taller and thicker as well, now standing equal to Jori and even larger than Darba. Darba looked surprised at the technique.
Jori rushed in with a punch to the face. He struck dead on; Kaira didn’t budge. “Agh!” Jori pulled his hand back in pain. He then delivered a strong side kick to Kaira’s ribs. The move slammed in, to no effect. Once again, Jori recoiled in pain.
He backed away, taking time to judge the new situation. His kame no tora no jutsu seemed to have worn off. Kaira lifted his foot and stomped the ground once more. This time, the sound of his heel pounding into the earth beneath him could be heard by all. He made a fist and pounded his broad chest. A loud clang of metal on metal sounded.
Darba realized what Kaira had done. “His whole body turned to metal. Amazing. He’s increased his weight and density. I doubt Jori’s strikes will have an effect now.” Jori had risen to his feet. He seemed to have calmed himself, and was planning a new attack.
Kaira didn’t wait. With a shift in his heavier body, he began to charge. He was slow to start, but once he got moving, he seemed to really pick up speed. Kaira opened both arms wide and rushed in to grab Jori. The taijutsu practitioner nimbly rolled out of the way. Kaira didn’t come to a halt; he took a few small steps in a turn and continued charging. Jori had to scramble in haste to escape the rampaging Kaira.
“What can he do, Darba-sensei?” Araya’s sensei squinted one eye in thought. He put a hand on Araya’s shoulder and smiled. “Heh heh. I…have no idea.”
“Ehhh…sensei…”
Each step Kaira took pounded into the earth and left a distinguishable footprint in his wake. Jori suddenly stopped short, a bright and dangerous intention filling his eyes. With his tremendous opponent charging full speed towards him, Jori dashed directly towards Kaira. The shaggy haired nin leapt off both feet and dove forward in a dropkick. His back hit the earth at the same time that both feet slammed into Kaira’s left ankle. The cumbersome ninja was moving too fast to stop himself, and began a huge stumble off both feet in response to the move. The shadow of Kaira loomed over Jori, who rolled out of the way of his descending enemy. Kaira’s body hit the ground with a devastating impact. The boom could be heard all across Hangykunin.
Darba settled from the shock and chuckled aloud. “Well, you know what they say.” Kaira wheezed deeply, sounding as if all the air had been knocked from him.
Jori was up quickly making his next move. “Bunshin no Jutsu,” he said, holding a snake hand seal. Three clones appeared in front of him. All three of them placed their right fists into open left palms and shouted, “Ninpo! Kame no Kurohyouno Jutsu!” The three Joris began to run in a circle around Kaira. Their speed steadily increased, until the movement of all three began to blur together.
“Darba-sensei, what is this?” He recognized the technique.
“The form of the panther. The tiger spirit jutsu that Jori used gave him increased strength and ferocity. This form gives him speed.” The clones continued to increase their speed until only a solid wall of movement could be seen. Kaira pushed himself up to his knees to see the blur of Jori’s clones all around him. He grumbled. Araya was amazed. So fast. It’s unbelievable.
“Araya, focus your eyes. You might need to combat someone with this kind of speed one day.” Araya tried to do what Darba-sensei told him, but Jori’s clones moved far too fast. “He’s using this to distract Kaira. I don’t know what he’s got planned, but whatever it is, it will probably use up the rest of his chakra.” Araya drew his attention away from the speeding clones to see the real Jori, on one knee holding a hand seal. His head was tilted towards the ground.
Kaira grumbled in anger, not impressed by Jori’s ploy. He began to emit another groan. “Hnnnnnnnnnnnnaaughhh!” The short spines of Kaira’s metal body then flared out to all sides, skewering the Jori clones around him. They all vanished with simultaneous pwofs.
Kaira cracked his neck slowly and turned to the true Jori, who was still kneeling in the dirt. The long spines slowly returned to their previous size. “Come on,” Kaira urged. Jori kept his head bowed. Kaira took a heavy step forward, and then noticed Jori’s right hand tightly packed into his left palm. He raised a metal brow in suspicion.
Jori raised his head. Araya immediately saw the difference. His eyes shone with a bright glimmer; they spoke to everyone watching, shouting of the power of his chakra. He rose.
Darba’s mouth gaped. “Is that what he’s doing? What a guy.” Araya turned excitedly. “What!? What is it now!?” Darba didn’t take his gaze off Jori for a moment. He answered with a single word.
“Dragon.” Jori walked towards Kaira with a strange control to his movement. He neither rushed nor delayed. Kaira threw up his arms and hammered down. Jori was gone before his blow pounded into the earth. The taijutsu exponent had taken on the form of the dragon His chakra had changed significantly. Every experienced shinobi watching could sense it.
With a huge spin, Jori swung his heel into Kaira’s head. The metal nin was knocked back. He blinked in surprise. “What the hell!?” Jori followed up with two more swipes of his hands. Each blow shifted Kaira’s whole body. “Aaugh! How the hell can you be hurting me!?”
Darba smiled and spoke softly. “His chakra. It’s covering his body” Araya noticed that Jori did have a white glow to him. His chakra seemed to cover him and reach out from wherever he struck. Jori rained down punches and spinning kicks to Kaira, each blow hammering against his thick hide. Every time he punched, his chakra leapt from his hand; with every kick, the power of the dragon chakra ignored Kaira’ metal skin. Soon Kaira was wobbling, barely able to stand. Jori’s eyes flared with an intention of finality.
He charged his opponent and leapt from his feet. The martial ninja spun in mid air and whipped a huge kick to Kaira’s face. Waramo Kaira was knocked clear off his feet. Once again, Hangyukunin felt the shock of the metal man’s body pounding the earth. The match was undeniably over.
A cheer went up from all the spectators. Jori looked around to see his peers and teachers applauding his effort. Tanaka Jori breathed out, letting the dragon jutsu release, took a look around, and then collapsed to his knees. “I think I overdid it.” He smiled as friends helped him out of the ring.
Araya was dumbfounded at the magnitude of the fight he had just witnessed. How did he win? Kaira seemed indestructible. His sensei explained the final stage of the match to him.
“Jori uses the animal spirit fist. Each form has the characteristics of an animal, but also, the corresponding element. The tiger corresponds with earth, the panther, with fire. Kaira’s kasui bugu no jutsu uses metal, the product of the earth element. And Jori’s dragon form corresponds with lightning. Earth is weak to lightning. Jori used the panther spirit clones to distract Kaira. That gave him the time to perform a kame no ryu no jutsu, the dragon spirit form. His lightning infused chakra beat Kaira’s metal armor.”
Araya was confused. “Uhh, so lightning beats metal…and the dragon is lightning?”
“That’s a lesson for another time, I think. Right now, just remember that guys like these are what you might face out on a mission some day. You need to learn how they fight, so you can know how to beat them. This was a good match for you to see.”
Araya had thought that his taijutsu was among the highest of the Hangyukunin nins, but after seeing that match, his opinions changed. Jori. Kaira. They’re both so strong. Compared to them, I’m…
“Hey.” Darba’s hand landed on Araya’s shoulder. “I’ll bet you’re pumped up for some training, huh?” Araya smiled, suddenly shaking off any doubts that had momentarily gripped him. Teacher and student made their way from the center of Hangyukunin.

Ido felt a tremble in the ground. It nearly shook him from his perch. What the hell was that? He regained his position on the window sill and strained to look inside. The private quarters of Jashin Zakuya had required some climbing to get to, but after the chakra control training that Naho-sensei had shown him, Ido didn’t have a problem with it. He put one hand against the glass to try and kill the glare, but it was still too hard to see in.
“Alright, a locked window really shouldn’t be a problem for a ninja.” He braced himself with his elbows and formed a ram seal. “Gokuin-tachi,” he said softly. Ido then pressed his fingers against the wood frame of the window. Two circular, purple seals appeared from his palms. They planted on the window and then dissolved into the wood. Ido focused his chakra. With concentration, the lock of the window clicked and Ido slid it open.
His feet touched down in Zakuya’s quarters. As soon as he entered he heard a murmuring. He walked through the reading room and into a short hall. At the end of the hall were a door and the source of the voice he heard. It sounded as though it were in pain. Who was moaning, he could not tell. Ido took a deep breath. I need to be careful here. I don’t want Zakuya finding me. But I don’t sense his chakra. Someone as powerful as him, I should be able to sense.
He proceeded down the hall. The voice grew as Ido got nearer. Whoever they were, they were definitely in pain. Ido’s hand touched the knob of the door as the moan turned into a scream, a female scream. The blonde nin trembled for a moment. Suddenly he didn’t want to open the door. He wanted to turn around and run back to the fighting circle, where there were friends and teachers. The female voice trailed off back into a low murmur. Ido gathered himself and turned the handle.
As the door opened, Ido suddenly stepped into another world. In the world of one moment ago, what he saw before him could not have existed. He saw Tuya lying on a bare mattress in front of him, panting heavily and sweating profusely. Her skin had changed colour. She wore only underclothes, showing the dark red discolouration that seemed to be seeping from a nasty gash in her shoulder. It was the same spot where he had seen the mark on her arm. The symbol was bright white now, standing out in contrast against the strange blood red of her arm. Cracks and cuts clustered around the symbol, engraved in bold text on her skin. The character read: phoenix. That seal…it’s not normal.
Kimichi Tuya turned to Ido and screamed once more. “Make it stop!” her voice wailed. Tears were running down her cheeks from bloodshot eyes. Ido then noticed something equally as disturbing: her wrists and ankles were tied down. Ido could barely speak.
“T-T-Tuya. I-I don’t know…what to…” Ido didn’t want to be where he was. He didn’t want to see what he was seeing. He wanted to run. He forced his eyes to the floor, unable to address the situation before him. ”Zakuya…did this.”
“Yes, I did,” a voice whispered in his ear. Ido shot around in a flash to see Jashin Zakuya standing before him.
“Zakuya! I-I heard a scream, so I…I came in and-“
“Save your lies.” Zakuya wasn’t smiling, but neither did he appear angry. He spoke in a grim tone. “My eyes can see everything inside you. I can see how you recognized the seal on Tuya’s arm. A sharp boy from a clan like yours should recognize what it is. No?”
Ido trembled. “It’s…a curse seal, isn’t it?” Zakuya nodded.
“Look into my eyes, Sebumaki.” Ido found that he could look nowhere else. Zakuya’s face hardened with lines of intent and a wave of hatred and pain surged forth. Ido experienced torture and death, all in an instant. He hit the ground, cold.
Chapter 11: Switch! by gureamusaimon
“I don’t like it. I don’t trust him.” Darba stood in councilman Damo’s office. “I know that Zakuya is talented, but his intentions are what bothers me. You must know what I’m talking about, Damo-sama.” Damo’s eyes lingered on the map that covered one wall. His line of sight traced back and forth across one particular spot, imagining, wondering, hoping. I must not lose what I’m worked for, not now. “Damo-sama?” Darba repeated.
The councilman blinked and broke away from his trance. Mayamoha Darba stood before him with crossed arms. He had come in with concerns about Jashin Zakuya. “I apologize, Darba-san. My mind is elsewhere. What is it exactly you want me to do?” Darba paused, unsure himself of exactly what he entered for.
“Zakuya has been training my student behind my back. The man already mentioned some interest he has for certain students. And now Setsu has come to me and said that he wants to train under Zakuya.” Darba paused and let out a sigh with exclamation. “I don’t mind his choice for another teacher, but I don’t want him having anything to do with Zakuya. That man is damned suspicious.” Damo interlocked his fingers and forward, with both elbows rested on his desk.
“The student is Mimito Setsu?” Darba nodded. “I don’t recall him rating very high on any tests we’ve given him, recently.” Darba nodded once again. “Zakuya has raised more students to graduation than any other sensei of Hangyukunin. We need ninja that are ready for mission training. If he can get the job done, then I think you should let him be.” Darba let his frustration show.
“Why does it have to be him!? You must understand my concern. That man is no normal ninja. His hands have delved in forbidden techniques. He has some alternative reason for wanting to be here and some greedy intention for wanting these students! Don’t you know of his past? Isn’t there anything about him that you find suspicious?”
“I think everyone here has a past that is questionable. You yourself have experienced shame and regret. And now you live to walk a different path. Zakuya is no doubt mysterious. He has always kept himself at a distance from others, and that breeds mistrust. I understand that you are concerned for the welfare of your student, but be aware that Zakuya has never shown any motivation for harming Hangyukunin. He has never shown anything but loyalty, however unique, to me and the other councilors. He is a valuable player in what we are trying to accomplish. Necessary, I believe. Unless you have proof of some kind of sinister intentions, then I suggest you put aside your personal feelings and allow the man to do what he does very well. Teach.” Darba was unsatisfied with the response he was getting.
“Then what about another sensei? Anyone else but Zakuya. Regardless of who teaches Setsu, I will always care about him. I can’t just ignore what I feel is right!”
“Hm. No, you truly can’t, can you? Listen to me, Darba-san. Both must choose their own path. If Zakuya wishes to train him, and the Mimito boy wishes to learn, then those are their choices to make. You will still be present to guide him as you like” Darba fumed. He paced back and forth in Damo’s office before heading for the door.
“I’ll talk to the man myself. He may be respected by most around here, but he’s not above my reach.” Darba pulled open the door. Before he could exit, Damo raised his voice. His tone became bold, forcing Darba to pause and listen.
“Darba-san. I will not interfere in your personal affairs, but I will give you two warnings. First, I am trying to work towards a greater goal. Zakuya is greatly assisting me in that goal. Do not attempt anything that would interfere with the future of Hangyukunin.” Darba turned his head slowly, meeting eyes with his senior shinobi. His words were made to sound official, but they carried the weight of a threat, physical to his person. It was impossible for him not to glare, to return the possibility of violence, however slight it may’ve been.
Damo’s tone then softened slightly. “And secondly, as you said, Zakuya is no normal ninja. I’ve always known that I will never understand even half of what he is. But what I have always understood well, since the first day he and I met, is that as rabid and loyal a dog he may, at times, be, to stand in his way is to welcome suffering. He is every bit as cunning, devious, and sadistic as you might imagine. Do not become his enemy.” The words preceded only silence. What was about to be a loud slam became a quiet click as the door shut.
Tenumuki Damo momentarily weighed two words in his mind, ‘Hangyukunin’ in one hand and ‘phoenix’ in the other. A tiny, ugly inkling of doubt trickled through his mind. Zakuya, don’t make me a fool for defending you. He dismissed the thought; he had no choice.

Araya was dumbstruck when he heard it. Angyo Dosa’s words were clear, but still, he did not believe it. “Setsu is going to train under Zakuya!?” Dosa shrugged with little condolence to offer. “He told you that!?”
“No. I heard Darba-sensei talking to Naho-sensei. I think Darba-sensei is pretty upset about it.” Araya let the thought run through his mind for a moment. He began to collect everything Setsu might have said to hint at the idea of becoming Jashin Zakuya’s student. He thought of the frustration that Setsu had experienced during training and examination matches. Araya was aware of the bitterness, the jealousy. He had said nothing to his partner, taking Ido’s advice. Araya had thought that Setsu would cool off with some time. Then suddenly, he learned of this.
His shock turned to reflection, and then to anger. He didn’t even speak to me. He didn’t say a single thing. We’re friends and he didn’t even try. That punk! “Dosa, let’s go!” Araya broke into a run.
“Where?” Dosa asked.
“To find Setsu! I might have to kick his ass!” Dosa rolled his eyes and begrudgingly followed Araya. The two ran from their dorms on the western side of Hangyukunin over to the central area. They broke out and asked the students and teachers if they had seen Mimito Setsu. No one had.
Araya didn’t stop. He continued his charged-up pace and ran over to the east side, where Jashin Zakuya’s house was. Araya pounded on the door; Dosa remained a few meters back, looking concerned. No one responded. “Damn.”
The two continued farther south to the quarry entrance. No one in the quarry had seen Setsu or Zakuya. Araya saw several different instructors, Soma, Sai, Shiro. None of them seemed to care about Araya’s concern. “Damn!”
Araya charged northward to the Utsaru. Dosa lagged, but persisted behind him. The Utsaru was busy with new students. Most were younger, aged ten to twelve. A few older, stronger looking people had arrived as well. Araya didn’t have time to stop and inspect them. He entered the Utsaru and ran through the main hall.
In the central room, Kyoujo Usama stopped them. “Where is Zakuya-sensei!” Araya demanded. Usama smirked, and pointed down the east hall.
“He’s training a student. He’ll be finished by…hey!” Usama shouted at Araya as he ran down the eastern hall. The teacher began to chase him, but stopped as Araya darted around the first corner. “Eh.” Dosa slowly walked by the Usama, who seemed unmotivated to get involved. Dosa caught up to Araya just as he was bursting through the door to a training room.
Inside were Jashin Zakuya and Mimito Setsu. They stood face to face, a few meters apart. It looked as though Araya had interrupted their combat. Dosa stepped inside and felt a crunch below his feet. He looked down and noticed leaves, covering nearly the whole floor. “Can I help you boys?” Zakuya asked.
Setsu panted hard, fatigued from his training. He was surprised by Araya’s appearance. Araya glared at Setsu, his mouth shut tight. Dosa watched as the judgmental glare of Araya forged Setsu’s guilt into a defensive stance. Zakuya watched the whole thing with a look of faint amusement. Dosa inspected him.
Jashin Zakuya was a man of average height with a slender build. His hair and eyes were jet black, the same as Dosa. He didn’t have a full beard like Darba-sensei, but instead styled a neatly trimmed moustache and goatee that came out to a precise point. He wore a light robe that covered his whole body, coloured black, red, and gold. Undeniably, he had a strange presence about him. It was partially the way he moved, but mostly his eyes and the peculiar strength of his gaze.
Someone had to break the silence. “What are you doing here?” Setsu asked in a tired voice. He already knew the answer. Araya was quick to respond.
“What are you doing here!? I hear you’re training under him now!”
“It seems you’ve answered your own question.” Zakuya responded with a laugh. He quickly covered his mouth and looked away, almost as if feeling guilty for interrupting the two.
Araya stared at Zakuya for a moment while addressing Setsu. He lowered his voice, but Dosa noticed his arms clenched tightly. “So what is it? Are you really leaving our group to work under him?”
“Araya, it’s not a big deal. I just…I think I need to make a change. That’s all.” Araya was visibly displeased with his response.
“That’s bullshit! You’re just afraid of being considered weak! You’re just running away by leaving Darba-sensei.” Dosa winced at the accusation. He quickly put a hand on Araya’s shoulder before Setsu could respond.
"Araya, maybe you should let up on him. This is his decision to make.” Setsu growing frustration seemed appeased by Dosa’s statement. Araya’s was not
“No! That’s just what Ido would say. I did what Ido said before and I kept quiet, and now Setsu’s gone and turned on us! I’m not gonna stay quiet anymore!”
“So what Araya? What are you going to do, beat me up? If Zakuya-sensei will teach me, then I’m going to learn form him. It’s not your decision.”
“Whatever! I can stop you! I’m challenging you to a match!” Zakuya’s eyes opened wide, lit up with interest. “Setsu, I want to fight you. And if I win, then you agree to continue learning under Darba-sensei. If you win, then you can do whatever you want with Zakuya and I won’t bother you.” Araya exhaled. He had played his hand up front, as usual, and all he could do was wait for the response. His eyes grew with the look of a man hoping on luck; Setsu’s narrowed with cynicism.
“Tch. Why should I do that? I have nothing to gain by fighting you. You have more guts than brains, Araya.” Araya’s eyes darkened. His head lowered with a lack of ammunition. Dosa scratched his head. Araya’s strong point has never been negotiation.
“He accepts.” Zakuya’s voice shocked both all three young nins. Setsu turned to his potential sensei and questioned him with raised eyebrows instead of words. “Don’t look so shocked, Setsu. This is a good lesson for you. To always be prepared. If you lose, I will teach you nothing and you will return to your lessons under Darba-san.” Araya beamed with a rekindled enthusiasm as Setsu bit his lip. Zakuya then turned and addressed Araya. “But young Genmon, if Setsu wins, he will never train under Darba-san again. And I can already assure your failure in this match.” Araya shifted uncomfortably in Zakuya’s sight. “So it’s settled. Let’s go have our match.” His tone was cheerful as he lead the three boys from the Utsaru.
It was late afternoon when Setsu and Araya gathered in the Hagnyukunin ring. Another match was ending as Setsu and Araya arrived. The earth beneath them still showed the effects of Waramo Kaira’s match. What happened here? Setsu wondered, stepping through crater-like footprints. Cracks and crevices were plentiful in the soft earth. A few people had gathered at the sight of another match. Dosa stood beside fellow students, including Torizuka Hiyama and Tanaka Jori. They had mostly recovered from their matches and were ready to see what others had to offer.
“Where is Ido?” Hiyama asked Dosa.
“I don’t know. I saw him this morning.” Others had gathered as well. Hibika Shiyo watched with little enthusiasm; she didn’t expect anything equal to Tanaka Jori’s display. Aoi Naho stood nearby her student, Dosa. She had come when he told her of the situation. And beside her stood Mayamoha Darba.
He was very quiet, looking at his two students. He looked at Setsu, being instructed by Zakuya. Zakuya spoke quietly to him, instructing him with whatever strategy he had deduced. Then he looked into Araya’s eyes. Araya was anxious, clearly. More than that though, he had purpose. He was not just fighting for the sake of fighting. Darba could tell he truly believed in the reason of his actions. It was sad for Darba to see. Naho turned and whispered to him.
“Are you really going to let Setsu go like this?” His response was brief and tired.
“What can I do? Regardless of who wins this match, Setsu will no longer be my student. If Setsu wins, then he leaves. If Araya wins, then it will push Setsu even farther away. Either way, things will change for the two of them.”
Soon, everyone had left and only Mimito Setsu and Genmon Araya were present in the ring. Everyone watched. Setsu felt their eyes on him. He needed to succeed. He didn’t know what Zakuya had put him in the match for, but he felt it important that he win. This must be a test. If I can beat Araya, then Zakuya will acknowledge me as his true student. If I lose, my committing to him will only be a failure. I can’t let Araya beat me. Setsu nodded to himself, reassuring the task before him.
Araya was confident, but he refused to let himself appear too excited. When this is over, I have to let him know that I was just looking out for him. That’s the only way things will go back to normal. The examiner waved his hand.
For once, Araya did not rush in. Dosa had expected him to immediately engage in close range taijutsu. Instead he and Setsu both circled the ring, staring at one another. He suddenly remembered when both Araya and Setsu had first come to Hangyukunin. When Araya had arrived, about six months after Dosa had, he had been unable to perform many of the examinations well. He hadn’t even been recommended to stay for the first few months. It was only through his own persistence that he had eventually caught the attention of Darba-sensei, who caught him up to speed.
When Setsu had arrived one year later, he seemed bright and full of potential. Setsu was accepted and given to Darba for training. Darba hadn’t taken as strong of an interest in Setsu, maybe because he didn’t seem to need it. Araya didn’t even like Setsu for the first while. He had complained about him to Dosa in their dorm. Only after a while, when Setsu failed to improve and Araya had done so consistently, did Araya open up to him. After that, the two had become fairly good friends and the four of them had become a group of their own.
Maybe it was Darba, Dosa thought, that hadn’t shown enough interest in his student. Maybe it was Araya, only ever content with a partner weaker than he was. Either way, there they were, dueling not just for the competition, not just to improve, but personally, with spite. Dosa had always thought it was ironic, or maybe just a coincidence that Setsu and Araya were partnered together. Both were orphans, without brothers, sisters, or parents. It seemed fitting.
Chapter 12: Showdown! by gureamusaimon
The match was Genmon Araya against Mimito Setsu. Dosa watched as two of his bunk mates began their battle. Araya had discarded the brown jacket he often wore. Instead he kept only his usual brown pants and black t-shirt. His scruffy hair had a reddish brown colour that was shared only by his teacher.
Setsu had a similar mop of hair, but dark brown instead. He wore black shorts, a white t-shirt, and an open, dark green shirt with rolled up sleeves overtop. He was clearly the smaller of the two, noticeably thinner, but only slightly shorter.
The two charged. Araya lunged in with a punch, but Setsu leapt up above him. Araya was quick; he stopped short and jumped up to deliver a bicycle kick. Setsu blocked it with a forearm. They both landed. They paused, trying to sense what the other would do next. Setsu formed hand seals. “Konoha Bunshin no Jutsu!” Pwof.
The leaf clone appeared and attacked. Araya met it with a strong kick. “Same old tricks,” he muttered. His leg ripped through the clone and it burst into a cloud of leaves.
“And some new ones. Konoha Jishaku!” The leaves stopped their gentle descent and immediately gathered to Araya, sticking to his leg. They clung to him, rustling and wriggling on his body.
“What the hell…” Many spectators seemed surprised at the move. Dosa overheard one comment. “Leaf magnet? I’ve never seen a jutsu like that before” Neither had Dosa. It was clear that Setsu had not been slacking off under Zakuya’s watch. Araya charged again.
He dove in with a tackle, forcing Setsu to scramble out of the way. Araya was faster and stronger. Setsu needed to be clever. Araya’s attacks continued. The two engaged in punches, kicks, blocks, dodges, knees, elbows, jumps, and grapples. The leaves continued to wriggle around on Araya’s lower half. They surely were distracting, but Araya was too focused to let them deter him. “Konoha Bunshin no Jutsu!” Setsu created another clone. It stuck close by his side.
Araya didn’t wait for him to attack. He took a deep breath and focused his chakra. “Yokoana Sattou!” Araya leapt into the air and dove headfirst towards the ground. Upon impact, both arms plunged into one of the awkward crevices left by Kaira and Jori’s match. His whole body continued downward, and within a moment, he had disappeared into the ground. A deep hole was left in his wake. Setsu bit his lip.
Dosa recognized Araya’s tunnel rush; he had seen it used before. He performed it by focusing his chakra into his arms and using physical strength and a twisting motion to plow through the ground. Dosa himself, had never had to fight against the attack, but he knew that Setsu had. It was a good move, given the soil had earlier been moved around by Kaira. It would be easy for Araya to move through.
Setsu and his clone moved around, not letting themselves stay in any one place for very long. It was not long before Araya burst from the ground, less than two meters away form Setsu. He dove in and grabbed his partner, locking him in a half-nelson. The two struggled as the leaf clone joined the grapple. It grabbed Araya from behind and covered his eyes with both its hands. “Konoha Jishaku!” Setsu shouted.
The clone burst into its summoned source and Araya covered with twice as many leaves. This time, they covered his head and eyes. He broke the hold, pulling clumps of leaves from his face. Setsu leapt in with a knee and hit Araya straight in the forehead. Araya stumbled back, tearing away enough leaves to free his vision. The remaining leaves still stuck to his body, though. They were wrapped around him in patches, still trembling and rustling around. He backed away to the edge of the ring.
“Alright Setsu, I’m not going to go easy on you.”
“I never asked you to.”
Araya formed a one handed seal. He held two fingers erect, like half of a ram seal. “Activate.” A sudden rumble shook the earth beneath Setsu’s feet. Clouds of dirt blew up in blasts as the whole center section of ground caved in beneath his feet. Onlookers were surprised.
Darba stood with arms crossed. The sudden explosion was the first thing that unfurrowed his brow. He questioned how his student was able to do what he had just seen. A thought then came to him. “He used an exploding note?” he said aloud.
“You gave him exploding notes?” Naho asked in surprise. Darba suddenly seemed distant. A vacant focus of the match was all that came to his face.
“I taught him how to use them. I didn’t think…He must have buried it when he used his tunnel rush.”
Setsu lay on his back in the crater that had been formed by the explosion. He struggled to get to his feet through the loose soil that weighed down on him. Araya was already in the air, directly above him. Ram-Horse-Tiger. “Katon! Hidama no Jutsu!” A ball of flame spewed from his mouth and launched downwards on Setsu. The leaf nin had no time to move out of the way. He rocked back and forth, trying to pull himself from the soft, upturned dirt beneath him. Time seemed to be moving in slow motion. Setsu saw the ninja of Hangyukunin all watching, awaiting Araya’s jutsu to strike. He saw Dosa, wide eyed with interest. He saw Zakuya, calmly watching with analysis. And he saw Darba, his mouth open slightly, as if sucking in a breath in a moment of hope. Looking back up, the fireball surged towards him, unyielding. In that moment, he was afraid.
It struck with a deep whoosh upon impact. Flames lashed back up enough for everyone to witness the force of the technique. Araya landed on one knee and rested for the moment. Darba clenched his fists. Naho looked on with concern. An eyebrow of Zakuya’s arched, wondering how Setsu would recover, wondering if his promise of victory had been wasted on the boy.
Araya put his hands on his hips and sighed in fatigue. The creeping leaves still wrapped around most of his lower body. He hurried over to the gouge in the earth that was caused by his exploding note. It may have been too much; he hadn’t actually wanted to hurt Setsu. Araya looked down to where his fireball had struck and saw nothing. Nothing but tiny, charred, fragments of leaves. What!? Where…
Araya began looking around for his partner and soon everyone realized that the match was not yet over. He quickly assessed Setsu’s moves, thinking if anything could cause him to hide in such a way. His question was soon answered though.
From the gouge that Araya had initially formed with his tunnel rush, the nin burst out, gasping. Setsu emerged covered in soil and black char marks. It was clear he hadn’t avoided the attack entirely, but had gotten away from the worst of it. Zakuya fully smiled once again, with renewed faith in his pupil. Hm. Using leaf clones as a shield and then borrowing his opponent’s tunnel. There’s some potential after all.
Darba clenched his teeth. Damn it. That means this will continue. They will only become more aggressive from here. He wanted neither Setsu nor Araya to be harmed, but he knew he couldn’t stop the match. Whether it was a case of boys needing to be boys, or men needing to settle a score, there was pride on the line. Darba understood that. He cared too much about both students to stop the fight.
Setsu panted from the exertion of avoiding Araya’s fireball jutsu. His clothes were charred and torn. Araya stared at Setsu, noticing the determined look that had captured his face. Araya saw an opponent, a rival, and a friend. He began to smile.
“Don’t be so cocky, Araya.” Setsu spoke without humour.
“That’s not it. I’m smiling because this is exactly what I’ve always thought you could be. This is what we should be to each other. Challenges.” Setsu remained stern.
“Don’t think I’ll hold back either.”
“Good, don’t. If you think you can beat me, then come on. But I don’t think you can!” Araya charged in. Setsu began to form hand seals. “Not fast enough!” Araya surged in with great speed and delivered a solid elbow to Setsu’s sternum. The leaf nin was knocked off his feet.
Araya persisted, causing Setsu to block in desperation. Both ninjas bled from either their mouths of their foreheads. The two scrapped; no ninjutsu was involved. Araya pushed Setsu back against the ring fence. The leaf user was trapped, taking body blows from his stronger opponent. Setsu bent over, blocking his head while trying to escape his position. He tried to punch back, but his partner blocked easily. Araya had him guarded; the only direction he could move was down to the ground. He did just that, dropping to a crouch and grabbing on to Araya’s weapons pouch. He reached under the leather flap and grabbed out a handful of anything he could find. In a desperate act, he slammed the contents to the ground.
The smoke bomb exploded, covering the two in a thick, black cloud. Setsu used the distraction to lunge at Araya. The spectators at ringside watched as both nins emerged from the cloud, Setsu charging into Araya’s waist, driving him back from the ring’s edge. The two broke apart. Araya made the required hand seals and prepared for another fireball. Setsu’s movement was swift though; he flung a kunai from his pack and made a clean strike to Araya’s shoulder, before the jutsu could be executed. “Agh!” Araya recoiled, grabbing the injured spot.
“Araya! It’s over! Konoha Ame no Jutsu!” Setsu sped through four hand seals and ended with two open hands, fingers curled directed towards Araya. From within the rough sphere that Setsu’s hands created, the focus of chakra summoned thousands of leaves, spouting out in a twisting funnel. The leaves flew in a curving pattern, swirling around Araya and filling the sky with foliage.
Many onlookers were surprised at the attack. Araya was caught off guard, but not afraid. “Setsu!” he shouted form within the twirling storm of leaves. “This trick won’t beat me! Leaves can’t beat flames.” Setsu gasped, using all his strength to mold and control his chakra.
“Then I’ll fight fire with fire!” The torrent of foliage continued, the movement becoming tighter and tighter around Araya’s body. The continuous streams of leaves rustled against those that had already been planted to his body, the leaves that had been scratching against one another the whole match. They had become dried out from the friction, ready for ignition.
“Hitsuki Kaki no Jutsu!” Darba’s eyes lit up. A spark flickered, and then another. Brush fire jutsu? Setsu can’t control the fire element! Small flames caught on and soon each leaf of the entire storm was ablaze. Araya’s body was covered with dry leaves, all of which fed the flames. The ninja shouted out in pain and shock. He rolled on ground, trying to put out the fire. Setsu stood back, watching, partially preparing for another strike, partially entranced at the result of his attack. His eyes glazed over with a lull of empathy. Zakuya sucked in a slow breath, his grin stretching.
A tide of soil then rolled over Araya. The loose earth covered his body, dousing the flames. Darba pulled his arms from the ground; his move had worked. He rose, looking into Setsu’s wide eyes. He glared at his former student, speaking more with his intent than he ever had with words. Setsu stepped back, faltering from the strength of Darba’s stare.
“This match is over,” Darba called out. “The winner is Mimito Setsu.” Students and instructors all around began to clap for the performance. The clapping and chatting of the surrounding members of Hangyukunin did not register to Setsu; he stared emptily at Mayamoha Darba. He stopped the match. He didn’t want my attack to finish.
Araya rolled over, brushing the soil off his body. He was singed and his clothes were burned, but he wasn’t greatly harmed. Burns and small gashes covered his arms. He looked at Setsu and saw him standing victorious. I lost. Araya tightly clenched handfuls of dirt. I lost. The two former partners met eyes. Weary from battle, they existed in a moment of uncensored emotion. Each one was offered a glimpse of the other’s thoughts, whoever brief. God damn it, I lost.
Setsu left the ring and received praise from his new sensei, Jashin Zakuya. Darba let Araya pull himself up. He moved slowly, staggering a bit with each step. Dosa lent an arm to assist Araya’s movement. “I’m fine,” he snapped. Darba put his hands on his hips and watched Zakyua lead his new student away from the ring area. Soon, others had cleared out as well. There were no more matches that day.

It was an hour after the match. Zakuya pushed back the hair that hung in Setsu’s face. “You have a cut on your forehead. You’d better clean that.” Setsu nodded. Zakuya chose to comment on the glum expression of the boy. “Is something wrong, Setsu? You don’t look like someone who just won a match.”
“I’m just thinking.” Zakuya found it obvious what his concerns were. After pushing away from his friend and teacher he was then realizing that he had only wanted acceptance from them all along, but to attain it, he needed to separate from them. It was predictable, and Zakuya knew how to take advantage of that predictability.
“Well, let me take a guess,” the sensei began, taking a seat beside his student. “You’re worried that you’ve pushed away the people that you cared for. Is that it?” Setsu’s eyes wandered up to the ceiling.
“No. It was Darba-sensei. He stopped my attack and ended the match. He did it because he wanted to save Araya. That’s what happened, wasn’t it?”
Zakuya nodded. “Well, yes. Any loving teacher would protect the students that they care about.” Setsu sniffed.
“He didn’t protect me. When Araya performed his fireball jutsu, he didn’t stop the match then. I saw his face, at that moment. I think he was…hopeful. I think he wanted me to get hit.” Zakuya began to warm with curiosity.
“And then after the match, when Darba stood in the ring, he looked into my eyes. It’s hard to explain, but…do you know the feeling…as if someone speaks to you with just their eyes?”
“I know it very well.”
“Well, Darba did that with me, to me, in the ring. It’s as if…he threatened me. Hurt Araya and I’ll kill you. That’s what it felt like. I could feel the strength of it.” Zakuya noticed Setsu’s voice weakening. A glimmer of liquid filled his eyes. The warm feeling spread throughout Zakuya’s body. It was more than curiosity though; he sensed opportunity.
“Setsu, I am not an overly sentimental man. I have long ago accepted the pain and suffering that accompanies this world. But I will make you a promise. Grow, overcome, and rise to my standards. Be what I require in a pupil, and I will fully accept you as a loved one. And if anyone, even Mayamoha Darba, ever makes you feel as though they would do you harm, I will show them the meaning of strength. That is a promise.”
Setsu looked into Zakuya’s eyes. They were strong and bold, perhaps beyond the need to lie. Setsu smiled. The water in his eyes was held back and he shed no tears.

Araya lay in bed, covered in bandages. He reflected on how he had received them. I lost. I can’t believe I lost. Damn it, Setsu. Why did you have to be so stupid? Everything is changed now. Araya had been sure that he could win. It hadn’t even registered that the match may have ended the way it did. The shock of losing had given him new feelings. There wasn’t just frustration on his mind, there was anger. There was bitterness, he realized. It wasn’t just Setsu’s being gone that racked his mind; it was the fact that he chose it all himself. Setsu had decided to turn his back on Ido, Dosa, and Araya. He had done it without consideration for any of them.
He wouldn’t really be gone, however. He would still be on Hangyukunin grounds, just in another dorm. They would still see each other; there would be other opportunities to get him back. Araya had that relief at least, the fact that there would be another chance. Another chance to fight.
The door burst open and Dosa appeared. A grave look was on his face. “Araya! You need to come!” Araya pulled his body up in bed and questioned his roommate on the matter.
“Araya…its Ido. They found him.”
“What do you mean they found him? Where was he?” Dosa looked to the floor and gathered some strength before responding.
“They found his body in the woods. He was…cold. I think he-“
“Ido is dead?” The question came out in a lifeless tone, almost more like a statement than a query
“No. He’s alive, barely. They can’t wake him up. He’s alive but, empty. They say his chakra has been reduced to almost nothing, barely a flicker of life.” Araya reeled from Dosa’s words. The whole day had been a whirlwind. It was too much to absorb. He hopped down from his bunk and put a hand on Dosa’s shoulder.
“I…don’t know what to say, man.” Dosa shook his head.
“Don’t say anything. Worrying is stupid. Just come see him. We’ll deal with anything else later.” Araya threw on his jacket and limped from the dorm. Everything had just changed.
Chapter 13: Rain on a Small Pond by gureamusaimon
Dosa stared at the two of them. They looked like an odd couple. While Darba-sensei and Daruma-sensei talked to each other about the change of teams, Dosa looked at his two new bunk mates. They stood across the field behind Dosa and Araya’s dorm. They were both new students. They didn’t seem to be well acquainted.
“What do you think of those two, Araya?” Dosa asked his new teammate. Araya looked up slowly and turned his gaze to the two young nins. He eventually lurched up to his feet and brushed the dry dirt off his pants.
“Those two? Who knows? The girl is kinda pretty. The guy’s kinda short. He looks younger than us.” Dosa noticed Araya’s usual demeanor was returning. For the last three days, he had been moping over his loss to Setsu. Not only that, he had really been shocked to see Ido’s condition. Dosa was as well, but Araya seemed to be taking the sudden change harder.
Setsu had changed dorms to train under Jashin Zakuya. Ido was in a coma with no signs of waking up soon. No one knew what had happened. Some people were spreading rumors that ANBU had come to Hangyukunin and tried to kill Ido. That seemed ridiculous to Dosa; ANBU wouldn’t have reason to come to Hangyukunin, and especially no reason to kill Ido. Whatever it was, would remain a mystery until Ido woke up. If he woke up.
In Setsu and Ido’s absence, Dosa had been paired with Araya as teammates under Mayamoha Darba. Dosa’s old teacher, Naho-sensei, was leaving the academy on a mission. Dosa didn’t know when she would return. He didn’t even know why she was leaving. Everything really had changed in the last three days. People were acting different as well. There as almost a sense of activity in the air that suggested that there was more to come. Although that was just a hunch, Dosa knew.
Araya inspected the two new students in further detail. They stood out of earshot. They didn’t speak to one another; they just looked around at their new home. The taller of the two was a slim girl. She was pretty and fair skinned with long black hair. Her dress was strange. She wore a kimono-like robe that covered all of her body. It was a dark plum colour with yellow trim. She had several large beads of the same dark yellow in her hair; they were strung all throughout, separating it all into thick locks. Her hair was long, shiny, and jet black.
The boy was short, shorter than Setsu, even. He was thin as well. Probably weak, Araya thought. He was younger, it seemed, probably by a year or two. He did have a strange look to him though. His eyes were narrow and sly. His hair was long and dark, tied in a sleek ponytail that hung over one shoulder. It had a bluish tinge to it. He wore a white shirt and beige shorts with a dark blue jacket overtop. There were bandages tied around his knees and forearms. His jacket bore a strange symbol of red and gold. And there was something attached to his belt. Is that a sword? It appeared to be a sword that hung from his belt in a black sheath.
The man that would be their sensei was new to Araya as well. He seemed to be well acquainted with Darba-sensei. He was a long limbed, gaunt man. He had a head of thinning, black hair and a black goatee as well. A round, wide straw hat rested upon his skull. His eyes were beady and his cheekbones stuck out prominently. The clothes he wore were ragged and faded. He donned a loose, half robe that only partially covered his chest and a pair of worn, grey pants below. He looked like he had just woken up.
Eventually Darba and the new instructor brought all four young nins together and began introductions. “Alright. You two are new to Hangyukunin, so I’ll explain this setup. My name is Mayamoha Darba, and these are my students, Araya and Dosa.” Darba pointed to the nins as he called their names. “They will be your bunkmates, so if you have any questions about Hangyukunin, you ask them.”
Neither of the two new nins smiled. The older girl had a neutral expression. The dark haired boy looked unimpressed by everything around him. Darba began again. “And for you two,” he said to Araya and Dosa, “This is an old friend of mine, Uzon Daruma. His last two students left Hangyukunin after graduation, and now he’ll be teamed with me.”
“Eh? Last two students?” Araya asked. Daruma answered him directly.
“Hn, yeah. Those guys. Tanara Kuro and Uzuki Shiroi.”
“Eh!? Those bastards!? Did you teach them to be such assholes?” Araya pointed an accusing finger at Daruma. Darba glared at his pupil, causing Araya to wince and retract his arm.
“Save your glares, Darba,” Daruma said with a laugh. “They were both wretched, little bastards. Especially that Shiroi. Equipped with a mean streak a mile wide, that one.” Daruma then turned to his two new students. “Personally, I hope you two are a bit more easy going than my last two,” he said with a smirk. Neither returned any emotion. “Hn. Well…alright then. Go ahead and introduce yourselves.”
The purple clad nin spoke first. “I’m Ichori Hana,” she said. Araya looked at her with a sheepish smile. Heh, she’s pretty cute. She looked back at him with a tweaked eyebrow of confusion. The younger boy went next.
He sighed, as if already bored by everyone in his presence. “Just call me Kenji.” Araya looked at him with suspicion. He’d better not be cocky, already. He just got here.
“Well then, you four are clearly going to be chums. So why don’t you all get to know one another, and Darba and I will go talk strategy down at Okatsu’s.” Darba smirked at his fellow shinobi.
“Daruma, we really shouldn’t.”
“Ennh, I’m thirsty. I can’t talk business when I’m thirsty.” Daruma’s skeletal frame shifted as he shrugged his shoulders. Darba smiled, and begrudgingly agreed.
Before long, only Araya, Dosa, Hana, and Kenji remained in the open field behind their dorm. The tall grass rustled in the breeze. It itched Dosa’s knees. He scratched his head, trying to break the ice with an introduction.
“So…where are you two from?” The younger Kenji narrowed his eyes with a sudden look of contempt.
“I’m not here to make friends with you all. I’m here to grow stronger. If you want to interact, then let’s fight. Otherwise, I don’t give a damn about you.” Dosa’s face irked, but he remained calm at the response from Kenji. His new training partner did not show as much restraint.
“What!? You friggin’ punk! You’re new here, so you should be treating us with respect! You’re probably younger, too? Eh?”
“Twelve. I guess I am younger. And I know I’m stronger, too. A spaz like you probably isn’t worth my time. Hmph.” Kenji then calmly turned and made his exit from the others. Dosa could nearly feel the heat of Araya’s anger.
“You little shit! You just name the time and I’ll give you a lesson in manners!”
The dark haired Kenji turned with a sly grin. “Right now.” Araya wasted no time. He charged. The plum cloaked Hana looked shocked as Araya rushed towards his smaller opponent. “You’ll get used to it,” was all Dosa said in comfort. He stood back and watched his partner close in on Kenji.
The grass rustled against Dosa’s knees, and that instant of distraction was all it took for Dosa to completely miss what happened. To say he saw a flash of movement would be false; he didn’t see anything. Only Araya sprawled in mid-air and then slamming into the ground. Kenji stood still on the other side of Araya. He had covered at least eight feet in only a moment. “Predictable,” he said as he walked away with both hands in his pockets.
Araya pulled himself up, fuming at the arrogance of the younger boy. “That punk!” Dosa calmed Araya and reminded him that Hana had not yet been greeted. At that notion, Araya seemed able to brush off his anger.
He pulled himself up and turned to Hana. Dosa noticed an awkward smile cross his face. “Heh. Forget that guy. I could’ve mopped the floor with him.” He saw Araya’s blush. He wasn’t surprised. Hana was quite attractive. He stood back with arms crossed and let Araya do the talking, since he seemed slightly smitten with his new bunkmate. Bunkmate? Dosa pondered an odd thought.
“So, I’ve been training under Darba-sensei for nearly two years now. I’m sure you’ll get along with everyone here. We could use another strong kunoichi here at Hangyukunin.” Ichori Hana’s face suddenly irked in a strange way. “I…what is it Hana? What did I say?” Hana rested her fingers against her face and lowered her head.
“Kunoichi? I’m a guy, you dumbass.” Araya’s face lost its colour in an instant.
“Ehhhhhhhh!? No way! You’re cute! You can’t be a…a…” Araya dropped his head in shame as Hana turned and left, clearly not in the mood for conversation. Dosa was stunned as well. I thought it was strange that a girl was bunking with three guys. Damn it, he actually is cute, too.
Araya slumped to the ground, as if his chakra had been sapped from him. He looked as though he was going to be sick. “D-Dosa. We’ve got one asshole, and one very cute guy. I suddenly miss Ido and Setsu a whole lot.” Dosa scratched his head, unsure of what to say.
“Well Araya, at least we made a good first impression. Heh.”
“Ehhh…Dosa.”

It was the dark of night and the wind was cold. All three men removed their cloaks and seated themselves by a small lantern. The light was low, just enough for each to see one another. They made their camp on the outskirts of the Hangyukunin Academy. All three agents of ANBU wore tight, black gear and grey vests. Each kept their masks on as well.
The masks were not just to protect their identities from their enemies, but also from each other. ANBU operated in complete secrecy. Each agent, upon being accepted to ANBU, would receive a mask modeled after one of the twelve animal signs. A false name was given and a new, temporary identity was created for the agent’s term of service. Only a few members of ANBU knew each others’ real names.
The man who went by Gyoto, the captain of the three-man group, knew neither of his teammates’ true names. He was given only base information about them. The yellow haired Jet was a young man with unusual talent in rare types of ninjutsu. He wore the falcon mask, blue stripes coming down across a white, beaked face. He had been a member of ANBU for only two years, as Gyoto recalled.
Boon was silver haired, and a similar age to Jet. He was a clever shinobi whose skill was thought to be on level with any of the jounin in Konoha. He wore the tiger mask, which displayed red fang marks horizontally across a white, cat face. He had been in ANBU for much longer than Jet, although Gyoto didn’t know how long. Both ninja claimed lineage from genius clans. Both were talented and capable, good men to have despite their youth.
“What information have you gained?” Gyoto asked. Boon responded first.
“I have been watching the actions of the sensei of Hangyukunin. They all seem to be focused on the combative jutsus of their students. They spend hours each day training. They have developed many ‘heavy hitters’ at this school. It does not seem that simple defense is their goal.
Despite such activity, the students do not seem to be trained as active squads. Their abilities are mostly personal, lacking teamwork and mission training. I haven’t seen anything that suggests mobilization.” Gyoto thought on his teammate’s words. He took a deep breath through the holes of his black-striped oxen mask.
It was as he thought. Everything Hangyukunin did suggested more than the simple defense that they claimed. They were building up strong students whose abilities were focused on personal combat. They had been sending scouts out across Konoha, both recruiting a large number of children and also establishing ties to other countries. All of their sensei were labeled missing nins in the bingo book. It was a dangerous combination.
If they were coordinating with other nations, like the countries of Rain, Grass, of Cloud, then they would have a foothold within the Fire Country that enemy nations could take advantage of. They showed no direct collaboration with anyone in particular, but it was too suspicious.
If they were as they claimed, a private school in service to the feudal lords of Fire, then they wouldn’t need the secrecy that they sought. If they wanted to rebel, then staying in the Fire Country would give them an advantage on Konoha, but also would keep them within the grasp of many powerful shinobi. If their intentions were to create another hidden village within the Country of Fire and to rival Konoha, then they would be beginning a battle at a disadvantage. Konoha was one of the most powerful hidden ninja villages.
“I have a suspicion about their intentions, Gyoto.” It was Jet who spoke. “I have been following the men that have been coming and going from Hangyukunin. At first, their behavior seemed random. They would send messages to and fro from small towns. That fit with their claim of performing missions to help the ‘poor and distant.’ After a while, though, I found a pattern to the movement of their men.”
“A pattern?” Jet nodded.
“It seemed that while most of the messengers would arrive at a small village and then return fairly quickly, every third or forth man would vary. They were obviously aware of our investigation. I remained in a few of the nearby towns and disguised myself as a traveling merchant. I found that many of the Hangyukunin operatives were remaining in these small towns, and sending replications back as a diversion from their true destinations.”
Gyoto was intrigued. “And what were the true destinations of these men?” Jet allowed a pause in his speech.
“That…I am not sure of. Upon learning of the Hangyukunin deception, I also found that they had become suspicious of our activity, and changed their efforts. I was only able to track two men with my shadow replication jutsu. I found one heading northeast to what seemed like another village, but I lost him before I could identify a location. The second traveled further north into the Country of Rice.”
“The Country of Rice?” Boon echoed. Jet nodded. “What business could they have their? Reinforcements from Grass, Rain, or Waterfall make the most sense. The Village of Stone is on poor terms with Konoha; they would be a strong and motivated ally. Rice is an impoverished nation, weak since the last ninja war. They have no military power.”
Jet shrugged. “I crossed the border to find out the operative’s destination, but only found it to be a small town near the west of Rice. I didn’t press further into a foreign country. We are only three, here.”
“Hmm. This is much to think about. We are due back in Konoha soon. We need to find what we can soon and make a concrete report of anything that is necessary to act on.
Jet, Boon, I want you two to remain near Hangyukunin and investigate all of their actions. Talk to the locals of the neighboring mining village if you haven’t already. Stay focused on them. I’ll head north. I want to find out what these messengers are doing in the Country of Rice. Remember, we are due back in Konoha soon, so if for any reason I don’t return within three days, then pack up and return without me. Make a report to the Hokage.”
Both masked men nodded to their superior’s commands. They rose and split off, soon leaving Gyoto alone in the darkness. Truly, what are you up to? Konoha’s enemies have been growing as of late. We don’t need another one, especially from within our own borders. I need to deal with this.
Chapter 14: Worries of the Mighty! by gureamusaimon
Sebumi Oda sat crosslegged on red, feather down cushions. She stared at a small statuette of the first Kazekage, one that she had always carried with her. Damo had entered her quarters to discuss the current problems that the council of Hangyukunin faced.
“ANBU,” he began in a grave tone. “The Hidden Village of Grass, two injured students, and…Zakuya.” The two fell silent, letting the words absorb into every part of them. There was no avoiding the situation; all matters needed to be dealt with.
Sebumi Oda began. “They have not left. The three of them have been camped out on our borders for three days. At first, I thought they were waiting to see if we would send any messengers out and follow them. We foresaw that and we waited, yet still they remain.” Oda sighed, her gaze breaking from the statuette of the Kazekage. She began again with a more grim tone. “We don’t know how much they know.”
“They couldn’t have any knowledge that would incriminate us. Elsewise they would have gone north and cut us off.” Damo’s words were cracked with doubt.
“Not necessarily. This ANBU group could just be a diversion. For all we know there might be four times as many investigating our base.”
“Oda, have we really become so interesting to Konoha that they would spend their precious ANBU forces investigating us? We have made no acts of aggression towards them. All they know is that we have a collection of strong students.”
The two senior shinobi met in a stare, questioning the assurance of what they each said. “Damo-san, this is not a time for overconfidence. Consider what we know for certain. If ANBU has found our base, then Konoha will end this school. If ANBU has intercepted our messengers north, then Konoha will end us. They will not tolerate what we plan to do.” Damo furrowed his brow, half-contemplating, half-pouting. He knew that she was right.
“Then we must act now. We must utilize every shinobi we have and establish ourselves outside of the Fire Country as quickly as possible. Once that is completed, then ANBU will have no authority over us.” Oda nodded in agreement.
“Good. What do you have in mind?”
“Immediate action. We will keep only enough sensei to cover the school and perform emergency operations. I’ll select the best fitted and send them to step up communication between Hangyukunin and the base. If we must, prepare for decoy trails to be used. Anything that will deter ANBU if they do decide to follow."
"I will travel to our appointed destination. There I can secure what we need and affirm the personal connections that will be necessary. You should stay here and investigate ANBU. If they can be shooed away before closing in, then all the better. I’ll leave that matter to you.”
Oda showed a faint smile for the first time in their meeting. “Yes. That I can handle. I have gained some new information about those three ANBU. I think I know of a way to manipulate them.” Damo raised an inquisitive eyebrow.
“Do you know these three, Oda-san?”
“Hm. Not personally. But I’ve used my eyes and ears to pick up a few small scraps of information. One of them has an interesting connection that we can take advantage of. I’ll begin work as soon as possible.”
“Alright, I’ll leave ANBU to you. Now about the Village of Grass. What are your thoughts on them?” Oda scoffed.
“Teh. They know far less than ANBU does. A few rumors of agents and ninja crossing the borders in the Fire Country. I am not worried about them. We have the protections of the feudal lords as our backup. We will remain watchful, and keep the foreign affairs to our government.”
Damo nodded his had to one side. “Hm. I see. Now for more personal matters. Our two indisposed students. As I recall, Zakuya-san took Kimichi Tuya to a nearby medical facility. Her wounds from an exhibition match affected her more than others had thought.” Oda almost sneered at Damo’s words.
“And you believe that? Do you really believe Zakuya?” Oda had never fully trusted Jashin Zakuya. He had always wielded impressive power, but his history and his secrecy kept him in the shadows of both Oda and Damo.
“Oda, I cannot stand against Zakuya. You know how we has helped us this far. I must keep my suspicions, vague as they are, to myself. He has his methods, as we have ours.”
“Methods, indeed. Is it just a coincidence that Sebumaki Ido was found in a comatose state within the same day of Tuya’s exit from Hangyukunin? I know that ANBU arrived at a similar time, but…the boy’s condition hardly seems like the work of ANBU. It has the insidious mind of Zakuya all over it.”
“As I said before, I cannot stand against him. I am confident that Zakuya is not out to harm Hangyukunin. I trust him…enough.” Oda narrowed her eyes on Damo.
“I didn’t say he was out to harm Hangyukunin. I was referring to the welfare of the Sebumaki child. And I would hope that you had paid some mind to his condition as well. It seems your goal has become all you think about.”
“I thought it had become our goal.” Damo retorted.
Oda sighed. “It did. It still is, Damo-san. But that does not mean we can overlook the problems of the children that we mean to use. These are the future ninja of the army that you wish to build. If Zakuya is responsible for the suffering of either Kimichi Tuya or Sebumaki Ido, then the matter must be attended to. I will not let his curious mind delve into some bizarre kinjutsu at the expense of our students’ lives.”
Damo rose to his feet. “I will handle the matter. I will discover young Tuya’s condition. And I will have one of our medical specialists look over the Sebumaki.“ Oda was unconvinced.
“And what will you do if you find my suspicions to be true?” she asked.
“I will speak with him.” His words were weighted with finality. The two locked eyes for a few moments, testing each others’ determination. Neither were enemies; both had the same goal. It was the subtleties of their morality that threatened to break them apart. Their stare ended with Damo turning to leave Oda’s room.
“Damo-san, there will be no need for the medical specialist to look over Ido. I will see to his recovery personally.”
“Oh? You have an interest in your clan member?” Damo stated without surprise.
“Hm. The Sebumaki clan is only a distant cousin of the Sebumi. Still though, I do feel a form of maternal instinct towards him. I once had blond hair just the same, you know.” Oda chuckled to herself.
“A lost grandson, then.” Damo looked into Oda’s eyes as they met his.
“Perhaps,” she replied, softly. He suddenly became aware of her feelings for the young students of Hangyukunin. Tenumuki Damo and Sebumi Oda had known each other for nearly thirty years. They had formed the academy with the intention of freedom and independence in mind. He wondered how he could have been unaware of the feelings she was displaying. Has this been in her all along? Did I just never notice?
“Very well,” were his last words as he walked out the door. Oda’s gaze slowly returned to the statue of the first Kazekage. Her eyes fixed on those of the Shodaime. You built a village that built a nation. Can I really do the same?

Jashin Zakuya led Setsu out into a quiet grove about twenty minutes away from the Hangyukunin grounds. It was a covered place, trees standing tall around a roughly open field. Tall grass reached Setsu’s knees. Only a small patch of open sky could be seen through the foliage above. “She should be here. This is where she comes to train.”
Setsu looked about, but saw no one. Zakuya-sensei had led him to the secluded place in search of his new training partner. He had heard her name, but had not yet met her. Zakuya-sensei told him that she had been away on an errand. Apparently, she was quite strong. Setsu thought of Keikon, and did not doubt it.
Zakuya remained still for a moment, his eyes peering about from in their sockets. “Come out!” he suddenly shouted. “My newest student wishes to meet you!” Setsu heard the words in surprise. Can she really hear him? Is she even here? A rustle in the trees caught Setsu’s attention. The next movement answered his question.
From out of the brush, came a surging figure. With a somersault and a precise landing, Zakuya’s senior student appeared directly beside Setsu. He was startled by her sudden arrival, but immediately captivated by her appearance. She was tall and lean with a long mane and deep blue hair. Her emergence from the tree branches brought a twirling cluster of leaves, all fluttering down around her. Her bright, blue eyes met Setsu’s with self possession, and she spoke.
“Arashiko…Chidori.” Setsu found himself muted by her gaze. She was strong, he could immediately tell. It was impossible to be unaware of her presence. He mumbled a response.
“Mimito…Setsu.” Chidori neither smiled nor frowned. She gave Setsu a quick examination and then turned to Zakuya.
“Zakuya-sensei.” Setsu gave Chidori further inspection. She was at least one year older than he was, taller, and quite lean. He noticed the tone of her exposed arms. She wore a dark blue half-robe that covered her from shoulders to waist, and then split off to reveal a skirt below. Her robe was trimmed with a thick band of gold fabric. White bandages were wrapped around her shoulders, knees, and calves.
A metal rod rested in her right hand. It reached from the ground up above her head. Her face was serious. There was no humour or kindness present.
“Chidori. This is my new pupil and your new training partner. I’m sure you’ll offer assistance where you can.”
“Yes, Zakuya-sensei.” She turned to Setsu and offered a curt nod. Setsu responded with a humble one of his own.
“Setsu, Chidori is an advanced student of ninjutsu. She can assist you with learning to control your chakra. From here on in, your training regiment will increase. First, I will give you a few drills to test your ability, and then a method can be devised to utilize your strengths. Chidori will assist me in that.” Chidori nodded once more. Setsu blinked in awe of his situation. This is really beginning. I need to focus. I can’t screw up here.
“Setsu,” Zakuya began. The leaf nin turned to his teacher and saw narrowed eyes focusing on him. “You are ready, aren’t you?” He gathered a quick breath and then nodded.
“Yes, Zakuya-sensei.” Zakuya smiled.
“Then let’s begin.”
Chapter 15: Goodbye by gureamusaimon
The daylight shone down in broken beams through the branches above their heads. There was barely a breeze; it was calm. Darba looked her up and down. Her hair was thick, lustrous, and jet black. It hung down across her shoulders in gentle curls. A white dress clung to her upper body and a black skirt was snug around her hips. She wore guards on her wrists and knees. Her skin was pale and fair; it contrasted Darba’s darker tone. He examined her eyes most of all. They were big and blue, expressive and bold. He took a good, long look and tried to absorb every bit of her that he could.
Aoi Naho would be leaving Hangyukunin soon. A mission was sending her elsewhere for an undetermined amount of time. Darba would be alone at Hangyukunin. He stared into her eyes. The two stood close.
“It won’t be that long,” she said to him.
“No.”
“Once our students are secured traveling out of the base there will be no need for me to stay there. It won’t be long.”
“Right.”
“Darba-kun.” She didn’t ask any questions. She just let him pause with a breath, and take his time.
“Naho-chan, I have a bad feeling about what’s happening here. ANBU is now involved. Damo-san has left. We are receiving reports of spies from Grass and Rain. Other countries as well, Earth and Wind, are having heated relations with Fire. There will be fighting, maybe war.” Naho stood still, letting his breath touch her face with each word. She took her time to respond.
“And what does this mean for us, then? What would you have me do? Should we run off and leave Hangyukunin behind?” Darba lowered his head and ran his eyes along her body. He opened his mouth to speak, but she stopped him before he could. “No, Darba-kun. There’s nothing else we can do. We’ve been through a lot together and there is still much left to do. But this is where we’ve found ourselves. This is the goal that we’ve become involved in. If war comes, then we will fight to protect what is important to us. I have many things that I would fight to protect. You are one. My students are another. Our freedom and independence, anything that we wish for in this world, I will stand up to protect. You are no different, Darba-kun.”
Darba sighed. The serenity of where they stood disallowed any noise to interrupt either her words or his reflection. “I know you are right, Naho-chan. But I have a bad feeling about this.”
“It’s not like you to have bad feelings.” A small part of him wanted to say something stupid, to make her promise that they would be together at the end of it all. Or that the students of Hangyukunin would finally have a home and the goal that they all shared would be fulfilled. He said nothing.
Instead he leaned in to her and embraced her in the sunlight. They shared a kiss that made the breeze blow stronger around them.
They separated. Naho stared into the face of her lover. He wore a faint smile on his bearded chin. His reddish brown hair was getting longer; she liked it short. Her blue eyes met his black ones and neither of the two could look away. He liked the way her hair hung down in her face. It contrasted with the paleness of her skin. Her lips were ruby red, a colour he still had the taste of. Darba blinked.
And Naho was gone. His hands were left holding empty space. Darba stood alone in the forests of Hangyukunin. He knew he would not see her for some time. Always the disappearing act. Goodbye for now, Naho-chan.

Sebumi Oda looked down at the unconscious boy. His long, blond hair ran down off the edge of the table on which he lay. A white sheet covered his body. He wore his usual clothes underneath. He had been inspected for any bruises or scars, any sign of a struggle, but there had been none.
Ido had been found in the surrounding woods and brought to the medical room of the central building by one of the academy examiners. It was night. The lights were kept low. There had been no witnesses to his attack, no sounds of struggle, and no clues. Oda suspected Jashin Zakuya of some sort of foul play, but she had no evidence. She had only a strong suspicion and a dislike of the man.
And what she disliked most of all, was how he had become such a strong influence over Tenumuki Damo. When Oda had met Damo all those years ago, he had been a kind man with a hopeful vision for the future. Along with Zakuya, a young and talented shinobi from Konoha, the three had founded the academy of Hangyukunin. All had been promising at first. There was only growth and potential.
After some time though, Zakuya changed from a bright and bold youth to a secretive and eccentric adult. He had spent a period of years away from Hangyukunin without a word of warning to either Damo or Oda. None of the other shinobi of the academy had any idea where he had vanished to. Upon his return, years later, the excuse for his absence had been that an important training mission had become his priority. From then on, Oda had noticed a change.
And so, too, Damo had changed. His ambition to fulfill the goals for Hangyukunin began to overwhelm his relations with the shinobi of the academy. He became more insular and narrow minded. He took too much advice from Jashin Zakuya. The two would take trips away from the Fire Country to scout out territory of interest. Damo would continually agree with Oda’s growing concerns about Zakuya, yet never act on them. He would often brush off her suspicions with the excuse that Zakuya was an essential key to the success of Hangyukunin.
While Oda knew that that was true, she could not overlook her own intuition. Everyone knew that Zakuya was a man of many secrets, and she was sure that they were more insidious than he expected people to believe. He was not as good a liar as he thought.
Ido’s eyes were closed. He was being fed thickened syrup three times a day. Oda sighed as she looked at the boy. Not only was he unconscious, but his chakra had been severely depleted. Oda tried to sense the energy within him, but could feel only a wisp of life force. Even if he did awake, she doubted she would recover as a shinobi.
The door of the medical room opened and a cloaked man walked in. Oda looked over her shoulder and smiled. “Hm. Does this mean you accept my request?” The ANBU agent, cloaked and masked, took a position near by Ido. He looked down at the youth, not bothering to turn to Oda.
“Possibly.” He reached out with a gloved hand and placed a thumb on Ido’s left eyelid. Pulling it back, he saw the black shrunken pupil in Ido’s brown eye. “Hm.” Oda watched as the ANBU agent continued to examine him. He placed both hands on Ido’s forehead and focused his chakra. She could tell he had a particular interest in the boy. The way he used his chakra, the control he had, the amount of care that was given; all those things confirmed Oda’s original suspicion about him. Soon after they had arrived, Oda had received brief details about all three agents of ANBU. Her spies had given little information, but from it, she had gained an insight to this agent’s identity.
His alias was Jet. He had been a chuunin of Konoha for two years before becoming a jounin. He was later moved to ANBU where he had spent the last two years. He was a shinobi with a talent in rare ninjutsu.
“I can restore him,” the man said abruptly. His examination had ceased and he looked directly to Oda. “I can heal this boy if you are willing to cooperate. Tell me what I want to know about this school and he will be revived. I require information on all the missing nin sensei, a list of your imports and exports, and of course, your true plans for the school.”
Oda smiled slyly. She knew she had an advantage. He wanted to heal the boy for personal reasons, but he also wanted to know the true intentions of Hangyukunin Academy. He would not let the opportunity slide away form him, she knew. Oda decided that she could get what she wanted from him, without sacrificing anything.
“I’m afraid that I have responsibilities to the other councilors of this school. I cannot reveal the pasts of our sensei, for their secrets are theirs to keep. And as for the direction of Hangyukunin, I will repeat from before, we have only our own personal defense in mind.” Oda stood with both hands behind her back. She kept her eyes on the blue and white bird mask of the agent.
“You insult me with that garbage excuse, old woman. You insult ANBU and Konoha as well. I could call a squadron of agents here to increase the investigation if I wanted. Tell me your intentions here, or things will get worse for you, I guarantee.” Oda did not back down. She knew that Konoha had its hands full with forces external to the Fire Country. They would not send a full squadron of ANBU to investigate purely based on suspicion. Still though, her intention was to befriend the lone agent and sway him from the distrust of the whole group.
“I’m sorry, that’s not going to happen. Hangyukunin is a peaceful institution. Our goals for the future are our own. I assure you though, we have no ill will towards Konoha. You must take my word for that.” Jet allowed a period of silence before he responded.
“My reason for coming her was not to be assured by you, it was to learn your true intentions and relay them to my superiors, so that they may be assured. If you will not cooperate, then I will not heal your student.”
“Are you sure of that? I am willing to call your bluff of an ANBU invasion, but I think that you have your own reasons for offering help for this boy. Am I wrong?” The cloaked ANBU once again allowed a void to space out his words. The black slits of his bird mask were all Oda could stare at. His expressions, and even vocal tone, were hidden by the mask.
“I see you must have a little bird in your ear to be aware of who I am. You’re correct, I have a personal reason for helping in this boy’s recovery. Don’t think that will cause me to sway from my duty, though. He is deep in a comatose state. You will not be able to revive him on your own.” Arrogant youth, Oda thought.
“I am quite proficient in medical ninjutsu. It is only a matter of time before I awaken him. He is under my watch though. Whatever your reasons are, I am offering you a chance to fulfill them, as long as no harm comes to the boy. Continue to investigate on your own if you will, but you have nothing to lose by reviving him.” Oda hoped Jet’s desire for healing Ido was strong enough to overlook his orders.
“Now you are the one who is bluffing. I am also trained in medical ninjutsu. And at a fundamental level, any medical practitioner could see that this boy’s affliction is in his mind, not his body. You may be adept in restorative jutsus, but you will not open up this boy’s subconscious without my help.” Oda bit her lip. He wasn’t giving in.
“I know this because…” The man raised a gloved hand to his face and grabbed on to the white mask. He pulled back his hood while also exposing his face. “…I am also a Sebumaki.” Oda looked with interest at the face of the ANBU agent. He was a young man, no older than twenty. He had a long ponytail of pale yellow. His eyes were brown and sharp. He was clean shaven. Oda’s suspicion had been correct He belonged to the same clan as Ido.
Oda did not let him intimidate her with his unveiling. She still believed she could restore the boy without his help, and told him so. Even without his mask, his emotions were hidden.
“You are not willing to sacrifice information to save his life, I see. Then I have no business in being here. I will let you look after the boy’s well being, since you appear so concerned about his safety.” Jet stepped towards Ido and took another look. “Gokuin-etoku.” His hands reached out suddenly and clamped on to Ido’s neck.
“What are you-“ Oda was too slow to stop his movement. Jet’s hands glowed for a moment, activating a seal jutsu. She rushed to Ido’s side as Jet pulled his hands away. Whatever the jutsu was, it had formed a collar of chakra around the boy ‘s neck. “What have you done!?” Oda demanded.
The agent took a few steps back towards the door. “I formed grasping seals on his throat. They will continually tighten and tighten until he dies. You have three minutes until he is dead. Tell me what I want to know, or your student will be of no use to either of us.” Oda’s eyes darted back from Jet to Ido. It was a wicked ploy.
She rushed at the older Sebumaki, pulling a kunai from her waist belt. He was equally as quick though. “Nankan no jutsu!” He formed the hand seals at lightning speed. A wave of purple chakra emerged from his hands and spread out into a wall. The barrier connected to the walls around him, separating the two shinobi. Oda struck the energy shield with her kunai, but it had no effect. The Sebumaki clan could manipulate powerful shields; she knew that she could not break it, at least not in time to save Ido.
Sebumi Oda was stuck. Jet stared at her without any show of concern on his face. She turned to Ido, and noticed the collar constricting. The boy’s face was beginning to redden. She turned back to Jet with a look of contempt on her face.
“You would kill a member of your own clan?”
“He is useless to the clan in that condition. If I had not found him, he would have remained useless, and therefore dead, anyway. You were correct in pointing out that more ANBU are unlikely to come here. This however, is no bluff. Either I revive him and you tell me everything I want to know, or he dies here, right now.”
Oda bit her lip. If Damo were faced with the same decision, she knew he very well might remain silent and make the sacrifice. She would not let that happen; she would not let him die. A school could not be run without students, a village could not be built without shinobi. And more than that, to let individuals die in the name of something greater, to throw away the lives of those that would fight for you, was despicable. If Oda, Damo, and the other councilors were to complete their goal with the blood of their own students on their hands, the goal would not be worth completing.
Ido’s face was turning purple; she had no other options. Damo-san, I’m sorry. I hope this does not endanger our plans.
“Alright! I’ll tell you what you want to know! Just stop this and release the boy!” Jet nodded. He clamped his hands together in a snake seal and spoke the word, cease. Oda went to him and checked his vital signs. He was breathing. The collar had stopped its constriction and Ido’s colour returned. It remained tight around his neck, alive with the threat to activate once again. She slowly looked back to Jet with a cautious glare.
The barrier remained up. In that position, the member of both ANBU and Sebumaki began his questions. “Who are the shinobi that make up this school? What are their backgrounds? When was the school founded? By whom? Where do your ninja travel north to? What connection do you have with the country of Rice? What are the true intentions of Hangyukunin?”
Oda said what she had to. She lied when she could. Eventually, the agent had taken in enough information. He interlocked his fingers and spoke the word, release. His barrier dissipated, as did Ido’s chakra collar. Jet took a few calm steps over towards Ido. Oda watched him touch the boy’s cheek with restrained anger. This damned snake. I wouldn’t have expected such actions from a member of ANBU.
“Teh. Listen to me, boy. I expect you to fulfill your promise and heal your clan member.” Oda’s tone was harsh.
“I don’t remember promising anything…but of course I will.” He took off his black gloves and coat and began to examine Ido in further detail. He wore the expected grey vest and black gear underneath. Oda calmed herself and allowed her emotion to fade.
“You will stay here until this procedure is complete?” she asked.
“Yes. It may take days.”
“Fine, but listen here. If you try such a trick to any of my other students, I assure you, your punishment will be severe.” He turned to her with relaxed eyes and let another moment of silence pass. It was almost as if he wore a second mask, besides that of the ANBU.
“I would never do such a thing. I only put his life in danger because he is of my clan. He is partially my responsibility and also partially in my service. I did what I needed to for the benefit of our clan.”
“How is killing a sleeping boy in anyone’s benefit?” Oda demanded of him.
"I wouldn’t have killed him. That was a bluff.” Oda scowled. The pale blond agent then displayed a sign of emotion for the first time. He ran the back of his hand across Ido’s forehead with care and showed a gentle smile. “I would never hurt my brother.”
Chapter 16: Kenji! An Ability Revealed! by gureamusaimon
“So what have you learned about them?” Mayamoha Darba stood with arms crossed, leaning back against the wall of his students’ dorm. He watched all four of the bunkmates training in the grassy field before him. Hana and Kenji sparred. Dosa and Araya practiced their ninjutsu. Uzon Daruma sat back lazily in a wooden chair, drinking sake. He lifted his cup from the table beside him and emptied it of its contents. He then let out a tired sigh. Darba was forced to repeat himself. “Have you learned anything about them? It’s been over a week now.”
Daruma finally responded, staring at the bottom of his empty cup. “They say an empty cup holds the answer to knowledge. Eh, I much prefer a full one. That Kenji boy, he’s as far from an empty cup as one could be. What an arrogant little bastard.”
Darba chuckled. “That bad, eh? He seemed overconfident. Neither Dosa or Araya are too fond of him.”
“They don’t know the half of it. Maybe I could find another student to take his place. I hardly have the energy to be giving him lectures.” Daruma focused his beady eyes on Kenji from underneath the wide brimmed, straw hat he wore. The boy’s movements were sharp and precise, with no wasted motion. “He’s strong though.”
“Oh? I’ve been eyeing that sword. He really knows how to use it?” Daruma nodded.
“That’s the least of it. He mentioned coming from a genius clan. I haven’t been able to confirm whether it’s true or not, but he definitely has the ego to back it up. A rare ability…perhaps…hm…don’t know. He has quite a knack for fast paced, combative ninjutsus. He’s a wind type, and makes good use of it. He’s fast and smart and nearly impossible to lay a hand on. Frankly, he’s in a separate league than these three.” Darba turned his head in surprise. He knew Daruma to be many things, but a liar was not one of them.
“Truly? He’s young…hm. Well, all the better for Hangyukunin, I suppose. How did he come to be here?” Daruma shifted in his chair, as if uncomfortable speaking while his glass was empty.
“Don’t know exactly. He told me he was brought here by a representative of his clan. I don’t understand why a bright boy from a genius clan would be brought to a place like this, in the middle of nowhere, but I didn’t bother to question.”
“I see. And Hana? What are his abilities?” Daruma sighed even deeper, running his fingers along the brim of his round hat.
“A skilled tool user, that’s all I know. His methods of attack are bizarre. He seems to have an arsenal of both hidden weapons and scrolls in that robe he wears. He’s older as well. Fifteen, I think. He told me his home is a small village near the borders of Fire and Wind. He found his way here to train and learn to use them. Seems like he already knows how, though. Darba, he’s not as strong as Kenji, but I think he’s more than either Dosa or Araya could handle.”
Darba flexed his thick arms and watched the two new students. "They’re that strong, eh? Well, this will be good for Araya and Dosa. A new standard to rise to. And speaking of Araya and Dosa..."
Darba turned to see his two pupils practicing their elemental jutsus. Araya used his katon abilities, and Dosa, his suiton. “Hm, you go get yourself another cup of sake, Daruma, I see a good opportunity for a lesson.” Darba made his way into the field where all four trained and approached his two students. Daruma shrugged, but proceeded to follow his friend’s advice by pulling his bony body out of the chair and setting off to find more sake. Kenji and Hana had stopped their practice and rested from the workout. Hana wore his plum coloured robe, as always. Kenji wore beige shorts and his blue jacket.
“Araya! Dosa! I’ve got something to show you.” Both nins broke the hand seals they held and turned to their teacher.
“Araya, do you remember the examination match between Tanaka Jori and Waramo Kaira?” He nodded, yes. “Good. I saw you practicing your elemental jutsus just now. Dosa, did Naho-san ever explain the cycle of destruction to you?” Dosa squinted his eyes trying to confirm that he already knew what Darba was mentioning, but he admitted that he did not.
“Alright then. You two are good examples for this exercise. Dosa, you’re a water type. Araya, you’re fire. You two are about the same size and have about the same amount of stamina. Which do you think is stronger, your water bullet, or your fireball?” He posed the question to both of them. They turned to one another before answering in synch, “Mine.” Araya squinted an eye at Dosa.
Darba smiled. “Well, back up and let’s find out.” Dosa looked surprised at Darba’s idea, but Araya was excited. They both backed away from one another and began to form hand seals. Kenji and Hana had begun to take notice. Ram-Horse-Tiger. “Katon! Hidama no Jutsu!” Bird-Ox-Snake. “Suiton! Dangan no Jutsu!”
Both nins leaned forward and released an elemental charge from their mouths. Araya’s fireball and Dosa’s water bullet were roughly the same size, and traveling at the same speed. The two forces soared in a direct path towards either ninja. Darba watched, with arms crossed, as Dosa’s water struck Araya’s flame, both smothering the fire, and also overcoming it, to continue its path forwards. Araya’s eyes grew wide very suddenly when he saw Dosa’s attack heading straight for him.
The bullet nailed Araya in the chest and knocked him back a few steps. It had diminished in size from having to go through Araya’s fireball, but it still packed a punch. Dosa kept a neutral look on his face; he was not surprised at the result. Araya looked upset. Darba commented before his student could begin to contemplate weakness.
“Do you know why that happened, Dosa?” He nodded.
“It’s because I have the elemental advantage, right?”
“That’s right. Listen up. The five elements are fire, water, lightning, wind, and earth. Each one has an advantage over another. Water douses fire, fire grows in wind, wind controls lightning, lightning penetrates earth, earth routes water. That is the cycle of destruction. Remember that, and keep in mind when you are at an advantage or a disadvantage.” Araya looked to be contemplating the idea.
“So because I’m a fire type, I have an advantage over wind types?” Darba specified his point.
“Well, not exactly. Your fire attack would have an advantage over a wind attack. This law only regards the elemental properties of jutsus. Just like how Dosa’s water bullet beat your fireball, your fireball would beat a wind jutsu, like say…” Darba’s eyes noticed a flicker of movement. It was Kenji. He turned his head to see the young nin standing with his arms crossed and a smug look of superiority on his face. “Something to add, Kenji?” Darba asked.
Kenji scoffed, but eventually pulled himself forward and strode towards the three of them. His bluish-black hair rested in a long ponytail on his right shoulder. Hana watched from where he stood. “You were about to say his fireball would beat my wind attacks, weren’t you? The boy’s tone was arrogant, as if Darba was supposed to be aware of his ability.
“Something like that. This is a general lesson, though. It’s nothing personal.” Kenji looked at Darba with a sudden boldness in his eyes. Darba squinted, acknowledging that there was something special in the boy, something that actually put reason to his attitude. There was strength in his eyes. Kenji spoke in a serious tone.
“There’s no one here that can defeat me. This spaz wouldn’t stand a chance, regardless of what techniques he uses.” Darba’s brow furrowed at the insolence of the youth. Araya bellowed out in anger.
“Hey! I’ll beat your ass, you little bastard! You think you can win with your sword and your wind jutsus!? I’ll show you! Right now! Let’s fight!” Darba saw Kenji’s smile and frowned. Daruma was probably right. This boy is strong. I don’t think I should let them fight just yet-
“Katon! Goukakyou no Jutsu!” The words were spoken as quickly as the hand seals were formed and Araya was soon breathing a large blast of flame. Kenji turned his head to see the wave of fire approaching him from his right side. Darba flinched, realizing that the boy had little chance of dodging Araya’s attack. Damn it, Araya! It had been too fast for Darba to intervene. Dosa and Hana watched in a moment that seemed to stretch out in time.
Kenji extended both arms out, one in front and one behind. With a slight pivot, he began a spin as Araya’s flame reached him. The next thing Darba saw was a swirl of movement too fast to follow. The inferno attack covered Kenji and cut him off from everyone’s sight. The flames spread out in a solid, wide range that engulfed the boy. The fire seemed to be swirling around in an unnatural manner. From within the blaze, Darba could hear a single shout. “Tatsumaki!”
The flames roared out in a growing excess. This is Araya? Darba thought. A few seconds passed until the attack ceased. He panted, out of breath from the move. All eyes turned to Kenji, who stood unmarked by the blaze. He was slowing from a shift in his body. Both feet planted and he looked at Araya with a stern glare. “That’s nothing to me.”
Araya looked shocked that his attack had been neutralized. I didn’t hear him call any jutsus. I didn’t see anything. Darba had seen nothing either, not a single hand seal, only a slight spin of movement. Yet the inferno technique had been completely avoided. Kenji planted a hand on the hilt of his sword and he narrowed his eyes on Araya. Darba immediately caught the expression. An intention to kill!
With a flicker of speed, Mayamoha Darba stood beside Kenji with a strong hand holding his sword arm in place. “Hey there, calm down. He shouldn’t have attacked you, but there’s no need to get so upset.”
“Get your hands off me.” Kenji’s voice became dark and his eyes squinted, looking up at Darba. Darba quirked one eyebrow at the boy and softened his grip.
“Fine. But don’t get any ideas about drawing that sword against my students.”
“I said, don’t touch me. You don’t know how strong I am.” With another shift in his small body, Kenji turned and vanished. Darba was momentarily speechless. He had disappeared so quickly. He turned his head to see the boy standing behind Araya, sword fully drawn and raised in the air. It was a sleek looking katana, about three feet in length. It loomed dangerously close to Araya’s neck.
Both Dosa and Hana gasped. Araya slowly turned and became aware of Kenji’s presence. A look of fear had struck his face. Darba wasted no time. With another flash of speed, the sensei appeared back to back with Araya, standing in between the two young nins. Araya swallowed as beads of sweat ran down the side of his face. His hand gripped Kenji’s wrist with a powerful grip. He scowled at the boy. He squeezed, feeling how easily he could break the small arm.
“You’re fast, I get it. Now put away the sword.” Kenji struggled for a moment but was unable to break Darba’s grip. He made a move for the sword with his free hand, which was blocked by Darba’s free hand. Their eyes met, Darba’s, stern with authority and Kenji’s, wild with rebellion. Kenji continued to struggle, grunting, his face turning red trying to fight Darba’s strength. Slowly, Darba guided Kenji’s sword hand down towards the hilt on his waist. The sword was sheathed, free of Kenji’s will. “There. That wasn’t so hard.” He released the young nin.
Kenji glowered up at Darba. Araya, Dosa, and Hana remained silent, waiting to see what would happen next. Kenji huffed, clearly upset, turned, and walked away. He got halfway from the field before stopping short. He shifted slightly and peered over one shoulder, flashing a glare at them all. His eyes had become a crimson red. Darba was awed at the sight.
“I could kill you all, so easily.” The boy then continued on, making his leave from all of them. Darba shook his head in disbelief. Those eyes…
“Charming lad, eh?” As Kenji left they turned to see that Daruma had appeared, his cup renewed with sake. “I don’t suppose any of you three will be sleeping soundly tonight. Heh.”
“Daruma, that boy is not normal. What is that ability of his?” Daruma shrugged, his loose, ragged clothes shifting around on his frame.
“Hn. Not sure, really. He’s from a genius clan…maybe…a bloodline limit?”
Darba lowered his head. A bloodline limit. Such rare skill in one so young…and those eyes. Could it be?
“Or not.” Daruma added. “Who knows? Not I.” He sipped his sake.
“Darba-sensei, what is a…bloodline limit?” Araya had calmed himself from the event. He wiped the sweat that beaded down the side of his head. Dosa seemed interested in the question. Hana joined the group as well.
“A bloodline limit…is a rare ability that is passed only through blood. They are usually a closely guarded secret to the clans that possess them. They cannot be learned by just anyone. Only members of certain clans can learn them, and even then, only a minority of those clan members ever becomes adept in their use. They are powerful, secret jutsus.”
“Your movements were similar to Kenji’s.” Hana broke in. Darba turned to the purple cloaked ninja; the two had shared few words since his arrival. “If you don’t mind my asking, Darba-sensei, what was that technique that allowed you to move so quickly?” Darba looked into the large, dark brown eyes of Ichori Hana. Both Araya and Dosa seemed eager for the answer.
“Hm. My technique is called the Body Flicker. That is not what Kenji was doing. The Body Flicker requires extreme physical conditioning, as well as manipulation of chakra to utilize the maximum speed of the body, only for an instant. I felt the boy’s arms. He lacks the muscle tone to use the Body Flicker. His speed came from something else. And those eyes…”
“An Uchiha?” Hana asked. Darba turned to the older boy, surprised at his knowledge of the Uchiha clan of Konoha.
“You recognized those red eyes as well, Hana? You are knowledgeable.”
“I was well instructed in my youth,” he responded. Daruma sipped his sake and eyed his student.
“It’s possible. To have an Uchiha here in Hangyukunin…what a gem for Damo-san.” Araya frowned at his sensei’s words. Kenji had shown him up so thoroughly; it pissed him off. “Hana, what do you know of your training partner?” Darba asked.
“Oh…little, really. He mentioned coming from a clan. He mentioned becoming stronger and fulfilling his goals. He said nothing else about himself. We have not become friends, if that is what you mean.”
“Hn, that’s no surprise.” Daruma added. “I’ve taught a number of young ninja, but none have ever been so venomous as that one. Regardless of what a fine tool he would make, I see him a difficult one to train.”
Darba nodded in agreement. “Well, that’s enough for today to say the least. Mayamoha Darba walked over to his two students, who stood nearby. He looked at Araya, clearly upset from the experience, and delivered a solid punch to the side of his head. “Idiot! Don’t ever attack a teammate again! Let alone from behind! You brought that upon yourself, you know!”
“Agh! Yes, Darba-sensei! I’m sorry!”
“Hn, okay. Just try and show some team spirit, alright? I know that Kenji is an arrogant punk, but you’re older than him. You and Dosa have been here a while now, and you need to be developing some leadership ability. Part of that is dealing with arrogant punks like that. Got it?” Both Dosa and Araya nodded. “Okay, go get some rest, you two.”
Daruma emptied his cup. “That goes for you, too, Hana.” Both Daruma and Darba left their students’ quarters and made way for Okatsu’s in the mining village. Hana looked over to Dosa and Araya and nodded, as if acknowledging that he understood their feelings about Kenji. He then left them and entered the dorm.
Araya turned to Dosa and began a rant about Kenji’s attitude. Dosa ignored him, pressing his tongue against one cheek in contemplation. There was much to think about. So much had been said, the water nin didn’t know where to start.
You don’t know how strong I am. That boy is not normal. What is that ability of his? He’s from a genius clan. A bloodline limit? A rare ability that is passed only through blood. Those red eyes. To have an Uchiha here in Hangyukunin, what a gem for Damo-san. What a fine tool he would make. None have ever been so venomous as that one. Becoming stronger and fulfilling his goals. I could kill all of you so easily.
Dosa blinked and broke away from his thoughts. Araya continued to yammer on. Dosa interjected. “Araya. What are we doing here?” Araya’s mouth suddenly shut. He looked at his partner.
“What do you mean? We’re here to become stronger.”
“Why?” His partner thought, but came up with little.
“I don’t know. To be able to fight. Fight for the school, for Hangyukunin.” Dosa was not sated by the answer.
“I don’t know. If there are guys like Kenji here, ones that are so strong, from genius clans with abilities like that, then why are we here with him? You saw him move. He was as fast as Darba, maybe faster. He’s out of our league. What is the reason for collecting people like him, like Hana, like Kaira, Jori, you, me? Why are we all together like this?” Araya didn’t try and keep up with Dosa’s line of thought.
“Dunno. Never really thought about it. I’ve been too busy getting tough.” Araya left the water nin out in the open field and joined Hana in their bunk. The sun had begun to set. The light was low, pushing stretching shadows out from the trees. Dosa stared at the long, black silhouettes. Just like when we fought Kuro and Shiroi. They’re gone now… An idea suddenly popped into his head. “The base,” he said aloud. Angyo Dosa lingered in the field a few moments longer before joining his comrades in their bunk.

Leaning back against one of the thick, Hangyukunin trees, Boon reflected on what he had seen. Hm. Another mind with questions, like mine. He seems as suspicious of this place as I am. And what base is this? Was that really the Sharingan? This is getting more and more complex.
Chapter 17: Chidori! A Student's Wisdom! by gureamusaimon
Mimito Setsu focused his chakra. He stood on the forest floor with both eyes closed. He needed control to do what Chidori was telling him. She watched from a tree branch above, sitting with one leg bent and one hanging off the branch casually. He held a ram seal, generating chakra and sending it to his feet. The energy inside him reached a point of harmony. He opened his eyes and ran.
With full speed and lunging steps, Setsu bolted toward a large tree and leapt up to it. His movement didn’t stop there, planting one foot on the vertical surface, and then another, to keep on running upwards. The focused chakra in his legs and feet pulled him towards the tree with each step he took. He made four, six, eight, almost ten steps before gravity took over. One foot slipped and Setsu was forced to spin back and flip off the tree. He curled in the air and landed on the surface below.
“Good. You went higher that time. Now try again.” The leaf nin took a deep breath. Chidori had him working hard. It had been nearly two weeks now. Everything she instructed him in was under Zakuya’s word, and his occasional watch. He had said that Chidori was an advanced student and more than enough to oversee his initial training. She did seem quite strong. He looked up at her.
She wore the dark blue robe that matched her hair in colour. It was sleeveless, with a gold trim that ran along the edges. He could tell she was battle-worn, because of all the bandages that covered her legs and exposed arms.
Setsu had changed his clothes under her suggestions. He as well went sleeveless. His outfit consisted of a grey tanktop with dark green pants. He had attached the protective knee braces that Chidori used herself.
“Setsu-kun, don’t slow down.”
“Right.” She was strict as well. Darba had always followed a tough regiment, but he enjoyed the rest, food, and drink after training as much as the training itself. Chidori was focused on building strength and ability alone. All she seemed to do was train. It was part of what made her…interesting.
After nearly an hour of the exercise Setsu’s stamina had run out. He hunched over, holding both knees to support exhausted body. Chidori gracefully shifted off the branch and landed down beside him. Her long hair whipped from the fall, before settling upon her shoulders.
“Good work. You’re beginning to improve.” Setsu smiled. Chidori made a face that was nearly a smile. “Let’s get back.” The two began their walk back from Chidori’s grove. The area she, and now he, trained in was secluded from the rest of the Academy.
Setsu had learned only a little about his new partner. He knew she was fifteen, and had been a pupil of Zakuya’s for over three years. Her control of all three types of jutsus was superb. He had witnessed her use some unusual techniques in the short while he’d been with Zakuya. Setsu still found himself eager to learn more about Chidori though; she was not one to talk much.
“Chidori, where did you live before coming to Hangyukunin?” The dark haired kunoichi kept her eyes looking forward as they walked. She took long strides
“From a city in the southern reach of the Cloud Country.” Chidori was brief. She seemed neither interested in conversation nor opposed to it. She just continued to walk straight ahead.
“Oh. And you met Zakuya-sensei here?”
“No. Zakuya-sama found me in the Country of Cloud and recruited me to this school. He has taught me much.”
“Yeah. I’m eager to learn from him.” Chidori did not respond, or make any attempt to continue the topic. “What do you know about Zakuya-sensei?” She did not respond immediately. They crossed some more of the leaf covered ground, Setsu with his hands in his pockets, Chidori with arms at her sides.
“Zakuya-sama is a secretive person. He knows much. He could be described as…eccentric, at times.” Setsu began to ponder the behavior of his teacher. He agreed that Zakuya was a mysterious man. “Do not say no to him.”
The words were abrupt. Setsu halted and looked at her. She took a few more steps before stopping and looking back at him. Her dark eyes struck him. “Don’t stop.” Setsu blinked, mouth open. He jogged up to her and they both kept moving.
“Chidori, what do you mean?”
“I mean that Zakuya-sama is a motivated person. You may find his behavior strange at times.” The wind had begun to pick up. Leaves danced as they neared the Hangyukunin grounds, and Zakuya’s quarters. “Your time with him will be best served if you follow his instructions. That is my advice to you.”
Setsu didn’t respond. He didn’t fully understand either, but he decided to remain quiet. They were soon at the home of Jashin Zakuya. Chidori told Setsu to go rest from his training, and that it would continue in the evening. He left for the two bed dorm that was located just south of Zakuya’s quarters. Chidori entered Zakuya’s house.
It was a modestly decorated interior, fairly sparse. Zakuya-sama was not one to allow himself too much comfort. He liked to remain focused on his goals, and disliked anything that may lessen his incentive. Despite the confident mirth that he displayed to his fellow sensei, Chidori knew him to be a strictly determined man. Not a day passed where he was not reminded of what drove him. Chidori liked that in him.
She climbed up the steps that led to his upper floor. On the second level was a short hallway that connected Zakuya’s bedroom and his study. “Zakuya-sama!” Chidori called to him. A moment passed before the door of his study opened. Zakuya emerged. She knew that what she was looking at was only a shadow clone, but it embodied the presence of the man all the same.
Jashin Zakuya was a slender man of average height. Chidori knew his physical size could not serve as a measure of his power. His hair was jet black and slicked back. His eyes were black, as well as the neatly trimmed beard that accentuated the sharpness of his face. He wore a robe of black, gold, red, and gold. He held both arms clasped behind his back. A confident smile was held on his face. Zakuya had a poised and elegant posture. To look upon him and not realize it was impossible.
“Chidori. How did the training go?” Chidori nodded.
“Well, Zakuya-sama. Setsu-kun is becoming more comfortable with your training regime. I am yet to see what you see in him, but...I'm confident that I can find his potential.”
“Yes. Everyone has something that makes them unique. I know that I can trust you with his initial teaching. I will leave him to you for a while longer before I take over.” Zakuya’s eyes left Chidori’s and began to scan along the curve of her bare shoulder. “I plan to teach him the Hakke Rokujuyon.” Chidori showed surprise.
“You will teach him that, Zakuya-sama? You’ve never showed that to anyone at Hangyukunin. Not even me.”
“Don’t act jealous, now. You do not fit that style of movement. You have your own style, and it is a powerful one. I want to give it to him…because…” Zakuya trailed off. His smile disappeared and a dull, sullen stare appeared. Chidori noticed it; he had changed again. He spoke in a lifeless tone. “I am reaching the end of my time here. Setsu…will be my last student.” Chidori was shaken by the words.
“Zakuya-sama, have you really come that far? I-is he all you need?” Zakuya’s black eyes drifted back up to meet hers.
“Don’t fret…my pupil. You have time left yet to prepare. There are…a few more things that I am currently…locating, but…it will happen soon.” Chidori looked into his eyes and could see the pain in them. She studied his face and found the overwhelming misery that existed there. It was no surprise to her; she had seen it many times before.
He stood with slouched shoulders and hanging arms, his head tilting forward. The bold expression that he had possessed a moment ago was gone from him. It pained Chidori to see him in such a way. It was not really him; it was a shadow clone. His physical body wasn’t standing before her, but it was still Zakuya, still the man she admired.
“You have nearly accomplished your goal. I am glad for you, Zakuya-sama.” He responded only with a murmur. She wished she could do more for him. He had taught her so many things. He had shown her how to become strong and given what was needed to fulfill her dreams. She could never admit his weakness, even when face to face with it. She knew it was only because he was so strong that he persevered as he had. She placed her hands on his arm and shoulder and guided him into the study.
He allowed her to lead him. At that moment, he could not bring himself to walk on his own. They found a chair and she sat him down. He stared blankly out towards the wall. His mouth hung open. Chidori felt a lump in her throat. She sucked in a quick breath and glanced down at her feet.
“Zakuya-sama, I have something to show you that might bring cheer to you. It is my seal.” Zakuya remained lifeless in his chair. His body did not move, not his arms, shoulders, head, or neck. Only his eyeballs shifted from the wall to his student. Chidori turned her back to him and untied a string on her robe. She loosened the black threads and pulled her clothes down to waist level. She was bare underneath.
She looked over her shoulder at him and pulled her long hair away from the mark on her back. It was a blue, circular design set into her skin. Inside the circle was a character. It read clearly: phoenix.
Zakuya stared at the mark. It seemed to emit a faint, blue glow. The phoenix seal. It was a piece of what he needed. It would unlock the end of suffering. It was everything to him. Zakuya painfully raised an arm and reached out his hand. His fingertips pressed against her bare skin. He touched the symbol of the phoenix. From the feel he rekindled a sense of vitality. Chidori looked over her shoulder once more to see a small grin returning to his face. She smiled at the sight.
“Thank you, Chidori.”

Miles away from Hangyukunin, further hidden in the forests of the Fire Country Jashin Zakuya stood in a dark, dimly lit room. This shadow clone wore a wide eyed smirk. Below him, lying on a small cot was Kimichi Tuya. Zakuya sighed a faint note of regret; his smirk did not waver though.
Zakuya stood within the light of the single lantern that lit the room. Behind him was a man, standing in the archway of the door. He stared past Zakuya to see the young girl. She was the reason he had come. “What is her condition?” he asked.
“Hm. Her condition?” Zakuya maintained his grin. “You could say it is stable. She’s not getting any worse. I doubt she’ll get any better, but…hn hn.” Zakuya covered his mouth to prevent a chuckle.
“But what about her appearance? Her skin…”
“It is an effect of the training I put her through. She will be healthy more or less, on the inside. And that’s what counts, no?” The man stepped forward from the shadowy hall to get a better look at his student.
“Zakuya, this is not a joke! This is your doing! Damn your hidden motivations, too precious to bring to light! What did you do to this girl?” Zakuya’s eyes grew smaller from the wide grin he wore. He eyed his fellow councilor with a twitch in his cheek.
“I found her potential. I made her strong. I also used her to achieve my goals, which in no different than what you intend to do with hundreds of young students no different than this one. So save me your attempts of a lecture, Damo-san.”
Tenumuki Damo gritted his teeth, but did not persist. He knew that Zakuya was right. He had expected casualties on the path to his goals. Damo admitted that she was no different, simply lying on the path of Jashin Zakuya instead of his own. Both men had goals, both men had secrets.
The Hangyukunin founder picked up the lantern and leaned in to further inspect the girl. She wore only underclothes and a loose robe that was left open. Her skin was what was shocking. To say she had lost colour would be an understatement. She had gone totally pale, even adopting a slightly grey tinge. It made her look like a corpse. Her hair still remained red, although it had become more of a faded orange. Her eyes had become orange as well. There was a large mark on her right shoulder. It was bright red, with traces of scars coming from it. Within the circular sea was the symbol for the phoenix.
Tuya did not scream or cry. She lay on the bed, rubbing both hands against her bare stomach. Her eyes were half closed and an uncomfortable twinge occupied her mouth. Damo turned back to Zakuya. His wide eyes and bizarre smirk persisted.
“Do you have to laugh about this? You hardly seem concerned abut your student.” Zakuya looked at Damo with a bug-eyed glare. His chin was raised and his head was back.
“Would you believe I…can’t help it? Hmn…hn hn hn. Really though, it doesn’t matter now. She’s not my student anymore. I’ve had our medical team take care of her. And once again, I’ll ask you not to so boldly contradict yourself.”
“Zakuya, what is the phoenix?” Zakuya smiled gaily and raised a pointed finger to Damo.
“It is my hobby and my lifeblood. It is…hmmn…none of your concern, my friend. You have greater problems to deal with. Feudal lords, ANBU…Keikon. Ha ha ha!” The look on Zakuya’s face was that of a manic amusement. Damo squinted at his old comrade. Has he finally lost his mind?
Jashin Zakuya then inhaled deeply and blew out a slow breath. His eyes narrowed. The disturbing expression seemed to be fading from his face. He cleared his throat. “Excuse me, Damo-san. My behavior has been strange, hasn’t it? I’ve gotten little rest with all the work that needs to be done here. Please, we can talk later about other matters. Right now, I need to rest.”
The younger of the two men exited the dimly lit room. Damo watched him walk slowly out the door. This is getting worse, Damo thought. I have enough problems with my own students and sensei, ANBU and the other countries. Oda has begun to question me. I don’t want to have to deal with him as well. I need to speed things up. I’m so close to… Damo took one final look at Kimichi Tuya and swallowed. …my goal.
Chapter 18: Teamwork? When Tough Isn't Enough! by gureamusaimon
Boon stood perched on the thick branch high above the grassy surface of the Hangyukunin grounds. From within the cover of foliage he watched the group of students and teachers gathered below. They were beginning some sort of exercise.
So far everything he had witnessed at Hangyukunin suggested a focus on singular combat, perhaps for defensive purposes. They did not seem to be training any rank in file soldiers or even tactical squads. It was the interesting abilities of the students that concerned Boon.
When his three man group had arrived, there had already been students of unique talent at the academy. Two more has shown up shortly after. Gyoto, the squad leader of their three-man cell, had headed north to investigate the possibility of a second facility in Hangyukunin’s power. At the same time Jet had separated from Boon to perform his own watch over the school.
Boon had been ordered by Gyoto to head back to Konoha after three days and report to the Hokage. It was well past the third day, but he was going nowhere. He hadn’t discovered the intentions of the academy’s leaders, he didn’t know the locations of either of his teammates, and he had little to report back to Konoha. He was stuck.
Boon had decided to remain at the academy and continue his watch, at least until he made contact with either Gyoto or Jet. Until then, he would stay put. He watched the students below cluster together and take formation. One sensei stepped forward and began to speak.
It was Sumate Okio, the personal instructor of Jori and Hiyama. “Listen up everyone. This will be a joint exercise involving every team here at Hangyukunin Academy. The lot of you will be put into two teams. One team’s job will be to defend a certain perimeter. The other team will have to bypass that perimeter and recover a banner guarded within. You’ll all be competing with each other in this exercise, so combat will occur. Consider this a drill of teamwork, mission execution, and live combat. We sensei will be watching over you to examine your ability and tactics.”
Nearly all the sensei of Hangyukunin were present. Yamoto Soma stood beside Uzon Daruma. Soma was Kimichi Tuya’s former sensei. Daruma slouched, waiting for the exercise to begin. Kyoujo Usama spoke with Hibika Shiyo; neither of them had students of their own. Ozma Tanryu, sensei to Waramo Kaira, had a dark look on his face. Mayamoha Darba stood with arms crossed and eyed all the young ninja before him.
After the graduation of several students, and the incapacitation of both Ido and Tuya, only seventeen remained. There they would remain until further notice from councilor Oda. She had decided not to send any students out of Hangyukunin until the ANBU threat was neutralized.
Darba’s own students, Araya and Dosa, stood side by side. Nearby was Daruma’s new pair, Hana and Kenji. Darba also eyed Setsu speaking with his new training partner of the last three weeks and Zakuya’s other student. And of course Darba spied Zakuya himself. He wore the cocky grin that he always did as he watched the students prepare for their challenge.
Darba knew that the exercise was meant to stress group work and quick thinking. He knew Dosa worked well in groups, but he was less confident about Araya in such a situation. The reddish haired nin was hard-headed and stubborn. It would be particularly important because the groups of their current exercise were not going to be the usual training partners. The two teams would be randomly selected.
Soon enough, sensei Okio had sorted everyone out into the two groupings. Many of the students eyed their temporary teammates with suspicion. Dosa had been paired with Kenji, as well as eight other students on the attacking team. Kenji wore the confident and smug face that Darba had learned was usual for him. Kenji looked at all of the Hangyukunin students with condescension. Araya, Hana, and Setsu were all on the defending team with the remaining nins. Setsu and Araya exchanged awkward glances.
“Why are the teams lopsided?” Waramo Kaira asked. “They have ten to our seven.” Kyoujo Usama spoke up to answer Kaira’s question.
“Because you’re defending. It’s much easier to hold ground than to take it. This will train you to maximize each person available.” Upon hearing the answer, the broad shouldered nin scratched his fuzzy chin in thought.
“All right, it’s time to show you what you’ll be defending.” Okio revealed a yellow flag tied to a wooden staff. He walked out into large clearing amongst the trees and stabbed it into the ground.
Torizuka Hiyama brought up a question. “That’s awfully open. How are we supposed to guard an big area like that?” Okio cocked an eyebrow at her and responded with a smile.
“You didn’t let me finish. Give us a minute.” The teachers Okio, Usama, and Soma all stepped out into a wide spread around the yellow flag. “Hey Daruma! Come lend us a hand!” Okio shouted. Daruma sighed and joined them, completing a full square formation. Each one was about thirty feet from the flag. The four sensei all pressed their palms together and began to mold their chakra. They stood with closed eyes, clearly in strong concentration. Sensei Ozma Tanryu then walked up to Okio and placed his hands on the man’s back. He too, seemed to be molding chakra. Before long, he shouted out a jutsu, the Stronghold Resurrection. “Ninpo! Nejiro Yomigae!”
The earth jutsu caused the ground to shift with a tremendous rumble. Each and every student looked shocked as four sections of earth rose from the ground and formed solid walls high above their heads. From within the four connected walls rose a spire. It slowly raised high into the air to be easily viewed by all. At its peak was the yellow banner, flapping in the wind from the wooden staff that held it there. All the students looked with surprise at the newly formed foundation.
It was a great, square base made from the clay of the earth deep beneath their feet. The walls were over fifteen feet high and fifty feet long. A few of the nins approached the structure and struck the walls. They were completely solid. Ozma Tanryu took a seat nearby the walls. He sat crosslegged with his palms on his knees, staring at the creation made with assistance from the other sensei’s chakra. He was not just sitting idly; it took his focus of chakra to maintain the base.
Setsu, Araya, Chidori, and the rest of the defending team were lead inside the base. They found two ramps leading from the ground level up to the spire. Connecting the north and south walls with the center spire were two bridges running perpendicular to the walls themselves. Along all four of the adjoined walls were inner terraces to allow movement along the height of the fort. Aside from those passages, the base was bare inside. Okio gave the seven of them a rundown of their objective.
“Alright, listen up. I’m only going over this once. Your task is to keep that flag inside these walls and out of their hands. Do that by whatever means necessary. Whether it’s setting traps, preparing ambushes, or attacking the other team full on and rendering them unable to enter, you decide what is best for your team. If you choose to elect a leader, then do so. You won’t be warned when they’ll attack. It could be in five minutes, or you may have an hour to wait and think. This exercise is to be taken seriously. Imagine this were a real situation. Consider what is most practical for the team as a whole. They’ll be coming at you with everything they’ve got, so be prepared.”
The nins all looked at one another. They began to estimate each other’s abilities and usefulness. “How long do we need to defend the flag, sensei?” asked Chidori.
“You just keep it up until we tell you you’re finished.” The speaker was Daruma. He had found a spot against one of the walls inside and was slouched down to the ground. His arms were rested on his knees. “I’ll stay on the inside to watch over you. I’ll also let you know if any of the fighting gets taken…over the limit.” Araya and Hana nodded to the sensei. He kept his eyes on them both. The defending team began their plans.

Outside the base, the other ten were lead to a starting point by Yamoto Soma. She called out the instructions to the attacking team. “Listen closely everyone. Your mission will be to penetrate the opposing team’s defenses and capture their banner. Victory will be achieved by either rendering your opponents unfit to continue, or by bringing the flag back to this point. You can use any means necessary to complete your task. Instructors will be watching you to assure that combat isn’t pushed too far. I want everyone to think of this as a real combat situation. Act as you would if this were a true field mission.”
Kenji looked unimpressed with crossed arms and a tilted stance. He muttered under his breath, which was noticed only by Angyo Dosa. Dosa looked at the boy, two years his junior.
He noticed Kenji’s narrow eyes and his dark, almost blue, black hair. It was tied into a ponytail that rested on one shoulder. He noticed the dark blue jacket he wore over a white shirt and beige shorts. It bore a symbol on the shoulder; it was a red wheel with a golden figure eight twining through the spokes.
More than any of that, though, Dosa noticed the constant rolling eyes and disrespectful glances. His arrogance wasn’t just an occasional habit; it was every day, all day. He didn’t seem to give a damn about anyone but himself. Dosa had seen Kenji in his tangle with Darba and Araya; Dosa knew he was able. Still though, he suspected that the boy would be surprised at the talent of many students at Hangyukunin. Ninja like Tanaka Jori, Waramo Kaira, even Setsu and Araya, all had undeniable merit. Dosa was not one to dwell upon others, but he couldn’t help but hope for someone to come along and slap the smug expression off Kenji’s face.
Yamoto Soma soon signaled their start and flipped away into the treetops. Torizuka Hiyama was left with her nine teammates. Luckily, she had been paired with her original partner, Jori. He was a taijutsu specialist and an extremely tough fighter. She knew he would be an asset, plus they worked well together. Along with them were two more kunoichi and six male nins. Hiyama knew Dosa, as well as Fuzan, Ken, and Mashimori. Hiyama was not well acquainted with the other four.
The ten of them started to plan. Mashimori began. “Alright. Who do they have on their team? If we know their abilities, then we’ll know how to attack.” People began listing names and adding up to seven.
“Toko’s inside, as well as Namori.”
“Waramo Kaira as well. And that girl Chidori. She’s tough.” Kenji smirked at the list of names.
“It hardly matters. I’ll finish this game without any trouble from any of them.” Dosa ignored Kenji’s words and added to the list.
“Mimito Setsu’s in there. He uses leaf clones, mostly. And my partner, Genmon Araya. He’s strong with taijutsu, but can use fireball and tunneling jutsus as well.”
“He’ll be the one to rush in headfirst at you like an idiot,” Kenji added. Dosa turned to the younger nin with a furrowed brow, but said nothing.
“And Ichori Hana,” Dosa finished. “I don’t know any of his abilities, yet.”
“Heh. Let’s go find out then,” Jori said, pounding his fist into one palm.” Jori rolled his shoulders restlessly, appearing quite ready for action.
“We can’t just charge in there. We need a good plan, first. The first problem is-“ Fuzan trailed off as Kenji turned and left the group, ignoring her words.
“I’m going to do some scouting.”
Dosa frowned. “Kenji! We need to do this together. What do you think this exercise is all about?” Kenji looked over his shoulder with a glare aimed at Dosa.
“It’s about winning.” He strode away, hands in pockets, with no show of concern for the group. They could do nothing but continue their plan as he walked into the brush. Dosa sighed heavily and turned his attention back to the rest.
“They’re off to a great start,” said Hibika Shiyo in jest. She stood on a low tree branch about thirty feet away. Sensei Okio stood by her side. He shrugged and watched the nins begin their plan.

Inside the earth walled fort, Arashiko Chidori had taken on the role of leader. Toko and Namori, two Kunoichi that learned under Soma-sensei, stood by quietly with Hana. Setsu focused on his partner’s words, nodding with every point she made. The large Kaira stood with arms crossed and a cocked eyebrow of doubt. Araya, three years and twelve inches his lesser, adopted a similar pose. Daruma sat, leaning against the west wall, watching her speak.
“We don’t know when they’ll attack. We need to have our strategy set up quickly. Who here is confident with setting traps?” Hana was the first to speak up. Chidori gave him a quick look over and a moment of thought.
“Alright. You take a trip around our perimeter and set up as many traps as you can. Setsu, you assist him and look over the surrounding terrain. Try to think of as many places to use your leaf clones. When they come, we’ll need your clones to draw them into our traps.”
“Right,” Setsu quickly responded.
“Namori, Toko, you two take positions along the upper walk of the wall. Keep an eye out for any activity, and keep both walls secure. Kaira, Araya, you two have the strongest taijutsu skills here. Your job will be to keep a watch out at the ground level of the spire. You’ll be backup for anyone that makes it past the walls. I’ll stay at the peak of the spire, guard the flag from any possible stealth invasion, and keep an eye out from the top. You can relay any calls to me and I’ll act as coordinator for the rest of the group.” Chidori let a few moments of quiet sink in. Daruma sipped from a small flask and tipped his straw hat to block the sun.
It was Kaira’s gruff voice that first spoke. “So…who are you again?” Chidori looked to the biggest and oldest member of the team. Her bold eyes caused even the big brute to suck in a breath.
“Arashiko…Chidori.” Kaira nodded, admitting to himself that she was both strong and beautiful. She had strong eyes that were not easily ignored. Her hair was long and sleek, and a rare shade of deep blue. She stood tall and firm, but still feminine. A sleeveless robe covered her from shoulders to thighs. Kaira smiled with a confident smirk as Chidori continued to instruct Toko and Namori. Hana and Setsu had left to secure the perimeter.
Araya looked at the bossy girl with a slightly different perspective. There was something about her; that he didn’t deny. She kept a long, steel rod as her weapon. The way she moved with it showed that she was proficient in its use. He could tell she was strong. Araya doubted her leadership ability though. She was a student of Jashin Zakuya, and Araya had heard all sorts of stories about Zakuya. Chidori was Setsu’s new partner, which reminded Araya of their previous battle.
Setsu hadn’t even looked at Araya once since the exercise had begun. He didn’t know if his old roommate was ignoring him, or just caught up in what they were doing. He hasn’t even come to apologize. But…I’m glad to be working with him.
Soon everyone had taken their positions. Kaira and Araya stood ready to fight. Namori and Toko walked along the upper level, looking out over the walls of their temporary stronghold. Setsu stood outside at the east corner, visualizing how he would need to defend and distract his opponents. Hana walked along the east wall, finishing up with the traps he had laid.
Chidori remained perched on the top platform of the tower. The flag flapped in the wind at her back. The wind. Not my suit, she thought. It doesn’t matter. This is just a game, a test. Soon enough, none of this will matter to me. Not after…She put a hand around her back and touched the phoenix seal on her shoulder blade. She released a sigh. It doesn’t matter.
Nearly twenty minutes passed before the defending team was forced to move. Kaira was pacing back and forth restlessly. Both Toko and Namori kept their watch on the walls. Hana and Setsu were circling the outside, ready for any initial invaders. Chidori’s head turned as Namori called out, “I see something!” Chidori gripped her staff tightly and looked to where Namori pointed.

Boon still watched from the treetops. He sat now, supporting his head with one hand. Hm, finally. This is becoming interesting.
Chapter 19: Capture the Flag! No Man Left Out! by gureamusaimon
Ozma Tanryu sat crosslegged with both large arms crossed. He wore a black bandanna that covered his clean shaven head. A full, black beard covered the lower half of his face. Both thick eyebrows were furrowed in concentration. He focused his chakra with precision, which kept the earthen fortress stable. He wondered how the students of Hangyukunin would fare in the test. He knew it was much more than an exercise. Soon enough the students would be forced into real situations just like their current exercise. And unlike now, if they failed, they would die.
He knew certain students, like his own two, Ken and Kaira, would do well in battle. He was not as confident of their leadership and strategic ability, though. Hangyukunin was full of surprises, to say the least, and Tanryu knew that there were many ninja involved in the current exercise that were both strong and smart.
He heard a flapping above his head. He couldn’t break his concentration to look up. He guessed what it was though. Here we go.
It was Taka that soared high above their heads. His avian eyes focused on every single movement that was made. The seven ninja moved around below. From his talons, the falcon released the two smoke bombs that were being held there. They dropped down to the spire, where Chidori stood. Both bombs ignited at the base of the tower. Taka took his chance and swooped in. Diving down towards the flagpole, he cut through the smoke and guided his talons for the yellow banner.
With a swift strike, Chidori’s staff struck out from the smoke and ejected the falcon. Taka spiraled around in the air before regaining his course and returning to Hiyama’s gloved forearm. “Hmph. It was worth a shot,” she commented.
Taka cawed into his trainer’s ear. “Two on the walls,” she said, appearing to be translating the bird’s sounds. “Two on the ground inside, the big one…it must be Kaira…and one on the tower, a girl.” Her falcon had served his purpose. Hiyama took one more look at the teammates around her.
Her partner, Tanaka Jori, was the tallest of the bunch. He stood long and muscular, with dark eyes and a spiky mane of brown hair. He wore his usual grey pants and red vest, along with wrist, elbow, and knee guards.
Dosa was shorter than Jori, but not small. He had a mop of straight, black hair that ran down just above his black eyes. He was dressed in blue shorts and an even darker blue vest, overtop of a long sleeved white shirt. Hiyama knew Dosa to be adept at elemental based ninjutsu. His water attacks will complement Jori’s taijutsu well. She knew that aside from his clones and a few other simple techniques, Jori had no combative ninjutsu in his arsenal.
Mashimori was the fourth in the small group they had created. He was fifteen, the same age as Jori and Hiyama. He had a smaller frame, and stood a little shorter than Hiyama herself. His hair was short and black and his eyes were a greenish grey. He wore a loose white shirt and had a long black headband tied around his forehead. She had never seen him fight at Hangyukunin, but he seemed sharp. He had devised the ploy they were using.
It involved a three pronged attack. Jori, Dosa, and Hiyama were considered the most combatively versatile, and therefore were the three with the best chance of entering the base. They would act as the spear to pierce the enemy’s defenses. Mashimori stayed with them to be able to adjust their plan to however the enemy responded. He knew that traps would be laid.
The other two groups were coming in as fakes from other sides. It would be two men on the east wall, and three on the west. No one knew where Kenji had gone off to. He was unwilling to even begin a plan, and had left to scout on his own.
Hiyama could see the purple robed ninja waiting for them at the north wall. Ichori Hana was aware of their presence, but still looked about for any others that may attack. Hiyama had noticed Setsu about on the grounds as well, but had lost track of him. She knew what to expect from him; she had seen his exhibition match with Araya. “Let’s do it,” Mashimori said. The four of them charged.
Hana stood at the ready. He saw four nins running towards him. I know Dosa uses water attacks, but I haven’t seen him in battle yet. The girl is clearly an animal user and the tall one must be a taijutsu practitioner. I don’t know anything about the other, though. Let’s see what I can learn about them.
The four drew nearer, all running in a solid line together. They were thirty feet away, then twenty, then ten. Hana narrowed his eyes; he knew what was coming. Hana called the bluff, and before any of them could lay a hand on him, they disappeared with a pwof. The smoke cleared and all four were gone. Clones! I knew it! Hana broke away in haste. Setsu has the west wall. I’ll take the east.
The purple cloaked ninja dashed around the corner to find two other nins making an attempt at the wall. He reached into both sleeves, retrieved two small blades, and charged.
Back at the north wall, Mashimori disengaged his genjutsu. The trick had worked and the wall was bare to scale. Jori rushed to the base and boosted Hiyama up to the edge above. Dosa was next. He planted a foot on Jori’s hands and leapt up to Hiyama’s waiting grip. He planted a foot on the vertical surface and managed to heft his body over the wall.
Dosa looked about and saw both defending nins of the upper walkway occupied with the rest of Dosa’s teammates outside. His vision rose to the top of the spire, where Zakuya’s senior student, Chidori, stood. She was the only one aware of their entry. She began to call out to the others and Dosa knew that they needed to hurry.
Mashimori was next. He was lighter, and Jori had no trouble lifting him up. Just as his hand planted on the rough surface of the wall, Jori shouted out in surprise. Dosa and Hiyama looked over the edge to see two hands reaching from the ground and locking on to Jori’s feet.
“What the hell!?” Jori was pulled to the ground, which caused Mashimori to fall as well. More arms reached from the earth below and began to grapple the both of them. Soon, a strange body emerged and Dosa and Hiyama saw who the arms belonged to.
It was not human. The bizarre form was made of wood, bearing four arms, two upright legs, and a long skeletal frame. Supported on a long, snakelike neck, the head was double the length of a human skull, with deep, dark, eyeless sockets. The body was bare, showing each carved wooden rib, joint, and bone. Only the inside of the bones seemed to be solid; the rest was free space inside the wooden ribs. The thing’s head turned and all four arms constricted on Jori and Mashimori. A voice soon answered Jori’s question of what the hell was going on.
“Nice trick. But mine’s better.” It was Hana, standing by the corner of the east wall. Both his hands were extended and thin, blue strings linked his fingertips to the wooden skeleton’s body. Dosa was stunned. Hana’s talent was revealed; he was a puppeteer.
“Forget us, we can handle this freak! Go on in!” Jori shouted out harshly to them as he fought against the wooden arms that detained him. He broke free and pulled Mashimori out from the puppet’s grip. Hana began his attack.
“Those two decoys you used on the east wall were nothing. Gaikotsu is all I need to deal with you.” Hana spoke with a calm confidence that showed neither excitement nor restraint. Dosa wanted to help out his teammates. Hiyama was pulling him in the opposite direction though.
“Dosa, we need to leave them. We’ve got problems of our own here!” Dosa turned to see Chidori landing before him on the walkway. She spun her staff above her head and charged. There was no time to reconsider their plan. It was strictly survival. They clashed.

Out on the west wall, Setsu was barely holding his position against three other nins. He had successfully drawn one of them into one of Hana’s traps. Only two remained standing. He recognized Fuzan, a kunoichi his own age. He didn’t know the other though. It was a boy older than Setsu, clearly no pushover.
The nin leapt in the air high above Setsu’s head. Both his hands formed seals and then opened up. “Kokuten no Jutsu!” From the diamond shape that his forefingers and thumbs created, a small, but immensely powerful blast of light flashed. Setsu closed his eyes, but not quickly enough to be blinded by the technique. The ninja’s leap then reached its apex and he came down on the leaf nin with a hard right hand. Pwof. Leaves floated around the young shinobi’s head. “Konoha Jishaku!” The foliage suddenly surged around his body and stuck all over him. He shouted out in frustration and tried to pull the leaves from his face.
The true Setsu sprang out from a low hanging branch and landed a kick on Fuzan. She rolled back and recovered. “Bunshin no Jutsu!” Two clones of the girl appeared and drew their kunai. Setsu drew his own blade. The two ninja and two clones tangled in a struggle of knifeplay. Setsu stabbed into one of the clones. He inhaled the clones wake and sensed the true Fuzan behind him. Setsu turned and blocked, but not in time to prevent her blade from nicking his side. He drew back and felt the cut with his hand. He looked at the fresh blood on his fingers. Damn it! I need to focus!
“Ken! Are you all right?” Fuzan called out to her teammate. The nin had not only recovered, but was charging towards Setsu with anger. Ken threw a handful of shuriken at Setsu as Fuzan’s clones distracted him. Setsu blocked one with his blade and dodged another. The third sunk into his wrist. He reeled back, keeling over from the pain in his arm. His head pulled up to see Ken charging in full speed at him.
Setsu caught a glimpse of Ken’s arm, with some kind of glow of chakra surrounding it, before he received the right punch to his chest. The breath disappeared from his lungs and he was lifted off his feet. The smaller youth sailed at least ten feet before slamming hard into a thick tree trunk. He gasped for breath as Ken and Fuzan made their way for the fort. “Shit, that hurt.”

Kaira rolled his shoulder and cracked his knuckles. He saw Chidori leap out from her post by the flag to take on the two that had just scaled the wall. It was the water ninja and the girl with the bird.
“I can’t just stand here and do nothing. I’m going to help her!” The auburn haired Araya began his charge towards the earth ramp that led to the upper walkway. Kaira’s hand planted on Araya’s shoulder, stopping his in his tracks. He turned to his older teammate.
“Listen, kid. I wanna get in the action as much as you do, but one of us needs to guard that flag. We can’t both go running in there. You guard the flag, I’ll go help her.” Araya looked up at Kaira with a face of half pout, half doubt.
“Why don’t you guard the flag? You’ve got that iron skin jutsu of yours. Plus, I’m more agile. I’ll be more help on that narrow walkway.” Kaira put his hands on his hips and glowered down at the boy.
“I’m older.”
“I’m faster.”
“I’m stronger.”
“And fatter! You won’t be able to use your jutsu up there!” Kaira scrunched up his heavy face and formed a fist in his right hand. He thrust it out at Araya’s face, stopping short just inches away.
“Janken!” Kaira shouted. Araya looked surprised, but smiled and agreed. The two students of Hangyukunin threw their arms behind their backs. Kaira’s gaze met Araya’s. Their eyes locked and the tension grew. Both nins gathered every ounce of strength, will, and guts they could muster. They shouts and strikes of Chidori battling Hiyama and Dosa could be heard in the background.
“Janken!” they both shouted, throwing their hands forward. Both nins held closed fists. Two rocks. “Again,” Kaira said.
“Janken!” Four fingers were extended. Two scissors. Kaira grumbled. He turned to the walkway to see Chidori holding her own against the two invading ninja. “Again! Hurry!”
They threw their hands out one more time. “Janken!” Two fingers and one open palm. Araya’s smile grew wide with satisfaction. He grumbled once more as Araya made his way towards the ramp.
Kaira began his shameful pace towards the spire’s ramp. He had only taken three steps when he heard a shout from behind him. “Batsu Kazeken!” Punishing Wind Fist? This doesn’t sound good. Before turning to look over one broad shoulder, Kaira saw his teammate fly past him. Araya hit the ground and rolled, over and over again, before slamming into the south wall and nearly hitting the squatted Daruma. Daruma shuffled away, bearing a scowl aimed at Araya. He had nearly spilled his sake.
Kaira’s face irked at the sight. He slowly turned to see who had performed the jutsu. It was a boy, smaller and younger than Araya. He had dark eyes and a long, black, nearly blue ponytail. A dying breeze rustled his jacket and swirled the dirt around his feet.
“Kenji?” Araya groaned the boy’s name. Kaira took a look at Araya, and then turned back to Kenji. The strength of the jutsu was unbefitting to the small boy.
“Heh. You’re not getting through me, kiddo.” Kenji sneered with contempt at his much larger opponent. He readied to attack. Kaira did so as well. Both ninja seemed confident in their abilities. Kaira charged.
Kenji reacted. He formed no hand seals; he simply thrust out both hands. “Batsu Kazeken!” A sudden ripple in the air surged towards Kaira as Kenji’s jutsu struck. It was a solid tunnel of wind billowing forth, not only stopping Kaira’s charge, but sending him stumbling back off his feet. He hit the ground hard and looked up with surprise. Kenji raised his chin up and smirked. “You and that spaz? Hn. No chance.” He arrogantly waved a finger back and forth at the two of them.
“What a little prick.” Daruma mouthed quietly. Araya looked into the sly eyes of Kenji’s sensei as Daruma focused on his student. Araya got to his feet. He looked at his bunkmate with a sudden determination. It’s time to teach this cocky bastard a lesson. He charged.

Chidori thrust her steel rod out and struck Hiyama squarely in the sternum. She stumbled back and found herself at the edge of the walkway. One heel slipped, and the hard, earthen floor suddenly rushed up to meet her. “Hold on!” Dosa detached from Chidori and leapt out to grab Hiyama’s arm. He made the catch, standing awkwardly near the edge, holding Hiyama with one arm. Hiyama gripped his forearm tightly. She looked down to see what would’ve been a headfirst drop.
They both stood exposed near the edge. He had sacrificed his position to help his teammate. In a brief moment, it pleased Chidori to see. At the same time, it was foolish. She was in a position to finish Dosa and eliminate them both from the game. She paused though. Her attention had suddenly been brought down to the center of the base, where Kaira and Araya had been.
A new figure had appeared. She recognized him. Chidori had been aware of his arrival to Hangyukunin. She knew it was only a matter of time before they were faced against one another. Araya was rushing in and Kaira stood still, holding both palms together. Kenji’s hand planted on the black sheath and his katana quickly appeared. The sight stalled her, and gave Dosa and Hiyama enough time to recover.
“Suiton! Dangan no Jutsu!” Chidori turned to see the blast of water sailing towards her. In the last available moment, she leaned back, touched her hands to the ground, and flipped back to her feet, barely avoiding the ballistic attack. She rose, knowing that she was needed elsewhere. I don’t have time to fight them. If I don’t get down there, this could get dangerous.
Hiyama and Dosa charged, both with kunai drawn. Chidori didn’t hesitate. She leapt off both feet and cut them off before they could strike. Her rod blocked both their blades and held them back. The three students of Hangyukunin held their weapons locked together. A rough roar from Kaira sounded from the level below. Chidori didn’t let it distract her. She stared into the eyes of her opponents.
Hiyama pushed down with all her strength. Dosa did the same. He looked into Chidori’s eyes. She was so strong. It wasn’t her physical might that surprised him, although he admitted that it was impressive. It was something else that he couldn’t ignore during their fight. Every movement she made was swift, forceful, and precise. There wasn’t an ounce of energy that didn’t commune with her will. Watching her move locked Dosa into a trance, exposing him to a range of feelings.
First of all, he was forced to push himself just to survive. With every strike he blocked or dodged, she would urge him to try harder. Secondly, he felt inspired. Her movement was so trained, her techniques so honed, he couldn’t avoid wanting more from her. It was like lust. And finally, there was the feeling of jealousy and weakness. At the end of each engagement, Chidori seemed to gain the upper hand. She was faster, stronger, more accurate, more motivated. In her presence, when being physically compared through their combat, Dosa felt in awe of her. She was amazing.
And once again, Chidori proved her ability. With a quick surge of chakra, Jashin Zakuya’s senior student let loose her oldest technique. “Raimahi!” A surge of electricity burst from her palms. The visible flash of blue light made a deep buzz as it traveled through her metal staff, into their steel kunai, and throughout every cell in their bodies. In an instant, both Dosa and Hiyama were rendered completely numb. Their bodies hit the ground.
Chidori took a deep breath. They’ll be fine. I can’t waste time, though. She turned back to see what was happening below. Araya had been knocked to the ground. Small gashes riddled his body. Kaira had activated his iron skin jutsu. His height and breadth had increased. His skin and eyes had become a dark grey. Small spines protruded through his now tight, sleeveless shirt and brown pants. The hairs on his head and chin looked like tiny blades.
She saw Kenji holding his sword out in one hand. He panted heavily. Kaira had a confident grin on his face. He raised one hand and slapped his chest, creating a loud pang noise. “That sword’s not sharp enough to pierce my skin.” Kenji seethed in anger. Chidori fixed on his hands and saw what he was planning to do. Damn it! It’s just what I thought!
Uzon Daruma caught it as well. He dropped his cup and shot up from his seat. “Kenji! If you’re thinking of using that jutsu-“ The sensei was interrupted by the precise landing of Chidori. Her feet hit the ground in between the sensei and the student.
“Daruma-sensei, please…you don’t need to interfere.” Chidori turned and met eyes with Kenji. “I can handle him.” Daruma desisted, allowing the two to their combat. Daruma stepped back to the wall and kept a close eye on both their movements. Kaira and Araya rose to assist, but were given no time to help. More of the members of the attacking team were overcoming the walls and finding their way into the base.
Jori appeared before Araya, Setsu hot on his trail. Namori and Toko were preoccupied with Fuzan and Ken. Kaira was quite suddenly faced with two more attacking ninja, both male and closing in on him. Daruma ignored them all.
He focused only on the connection between Kenji and Chidori. Their eyes met in a powerful gaze. The sudden tension could be felt in the air. Chidori clenched her staff. Kenji gripped his sword. The two stepped into ready stances, bearing a grudge that no one understood, but everyone was forced to feel. A silence preceded their action like the deceptive calm before a storm.

Boon leaned in from his perch high above. Now this…is becoming damn interesting.
Chapter 20: Capture the Flag! A Battle Becomes a War! by gureamusaimon
Jashin Zakuya stroked the tip of his pointed beard. He watched with great interest as his student rushed around the northwest corner of the base he was defending. Setsu had lost track of the two attacking students he was meant to defend. They had scaled the west wall and met two young kunoichi inside. He was currently recovering from a powerful blow to the chest and meeting a strangely feminine boy at the east side.
Zakuya was eager to see how his student would work with the puppeteer. He fought in a unique and fierce way. If I had more time, I would take him under my wing as well. Oh well. Come now Setsu, show me your worth.
Hana flicked his right index finger, which swung Gaikotsu’s upper right arm out. The wooden skeleton knocked away Tanaka Jori’s kick. Jori reeled back and dove in again. Both of Gaikotsu’s lower arms grabbed Jori’s shoulders while its upper two locked around his throat. The wooden puppet stood at least seven feet tall.
Mashimori charged in with two kunai and stabbed down on an elbow joint of the puppet. It broke its grip, which allowed Jori to get free and attack. He pummeled the body with hard lefts and right. His left arm moved in and entered the empty ribcage. Hana clenched both hands, sending chakra through the blue strings. All of Gaikotsu’s ribs suddenly revealed sharp spines from the tips of its ribs. The spines plunged into Jori’s arm and retracted quickly, sending an immediate surge of pain into the taijutsu adept’s left arm.
Setsu rounded the corner to see Jori and Mashimori both fighting a strange creature from either side. He overcame the initial shock of the puppet’s ghastly appearance and realized that it was under Hana’s control. The leaf nin wasted no time in assisting his teammate. “Konoha Ame no Jutsu!” Setsu shouted, and opened both palms towards the group of three.
Spirals of leaves sprung from his hands and flew up like a tossed deck of playing cards. A rain of leaves soon showered the whole area, breaking both ninja’s attention away from their wooden foe for a moment. Mashimori turned to Setsu, only to receive a scratch from Gaikotu’s fingertips in return. The black haired ninja clutched his shoulder, where the small metal tips had pierced his skin. “Is this...poison?”
Setsu charged Mashimori as Jori bypassed the puppet and turned his attacks to the puppet master. Hana could not move Gaikotsu in time; he took a swift kick to the sternum. Jori was in close, where he liked it. He began to hammer down fierce blows.
Setsu drew his kunai and met Mashimori in combat, neither one bearing a great strength advantage on the other. He looked into Mashimori’s green-grey eyes. The ninja, a similar body size to Setsu, seemed to be becoming woozy. His eyes were opening and closing in an odd manner. They stayed locked like that until Setsu forced Mashimori back and delivered a knee to his opponent’s stomach. The move had earned him a moment. “Konoha Jishaku!” The fluttering leaves that filled the air then clustered around Mashimori and Jori at the same time, swarming them both wasps to a fresh kill.
Hana had a moment to recover with Jori temporarily distracted. He used it to its fullest. Gaikotsu’s head spun around and the wooden figure leapt out towards Jori. Two hands grabbed his wrists, two hands grabbed his ankles. The neck twisted around Jori’s own, and Gaikotsu’s jaw opened. “Kiss of the Viper.” Hana breathed the words, filled with a sudden intensity to his intention.
Jori’s eyelids tightened in shock as he breathed in the purple mist that spewed from Gaikotsu’s gaping mouth. “Aauugh!” Jori thrashed about, but could not break free. Veins on his neck began to bulge, his anger building. He couldn’t free himself, but he managed to connect his right fist with his felt palm. “Tora no Kame no Jutsu!” he screamed.
Hana’s face showed surprise. The tall, lean ninja was truly giving Gaikotsu all he could handle. Hana felt the pull from all ten chakra strings in his fingers. Jori began to growl in an inhuman way, his body crumpling and tensed. Hana felt a yank on his wrists. This guy is strong!
Jori then threw his head up and screamed a bestial roar. The eyes of Tanaka Jori glinted with a feline instinct. Hana felt the snap of five strings detaching from his right hand. What!? No one has ever broken my strings before! Jori thrashed like a wild beast, breaking free from two of Gaikotsu’s arms. He spun about and grabbed the wooden spine. He wrenched it back and slashed across the midsection with both hands, each one bearing claws of chakra.
Hana felt the detachment of his other five strings and Gaikotsu was soon a helpless pile of limbs and bones. Jori spun about to view the puppeteer. He let out another roar before charging in with fervor.
A sudden sting of panic hit the usually calm ninja. This guy isn’t normal. Hana reached back into the folds of his plum robe and retrieved two handfuls of shurikens. He let them fly.
Setsu hammered down an elbow. Mashimori groaned and hit the ground. Setsu wiped the blood from his face and turned to see Jori and Hana. Six metal stars plunged into Jori’s blocking forearms. Jori surged on, ignoring the pain. His bounding steps brought him closer, soon only inches away from Hana.
Hana had no time to dodge; all he could do was fall back and throw his hands up in defense. Setsu grabbed his bruised ribs and neared the two, seeing that Hana had done more than he had thought. Jori had him pinned to the ground, but Hana had a trick up his sleeve.
Literally, the puppeteer had thrown up his elbows, revealing hidden blades from his sleeves that had stabbed into Jori’s shoulders. Jori growled through the pain, still clutching Hana with strength and intensity. He reached one hand up and grabbed Hana’s wrist. He then did the same with the other. With a near snarling anger, Jori began to force Hana’s arms back towards him, bringing his own blades closer and closer to his throat.
Hana’s eyes grew wide with shock. Nothing hurts him! He’s too strong! At this rate… Jori strength was far greater than Hana’s. The puppeteer’s wrist blades were being consistently pushed closer and closer to his own neck. The tips of the hidden steel were a matter of inches away from Hana’s skin when Setsu threw himself towards Jori with a double knee strike.
Jori hunched his shoulders up and turned to Setsu. Setsu was taken aback by the ferocious glare he received. That was all the time Hana needed. He opened his mouth and pursed his lips, spitting small needles at Jori’s sensitive spots. The taijutsu user barely escaped receiving sharp needles to his neck. Instead they plunged into his cheek and ear. He used his remaining animal instincts to flinch away from Hana’s hidden attack. Like a wounded animal, Jori sized up his two opponents and made a swift retreat. He dashed for the earth wall and leapt up high over its border with ease.
“Hana! Are you all right!?” Setsu rushed to the purple dressed stranger’s side. He was a strange looking person, really. His hair was long and black, bound by a long purple bandanna. It was separated into several locks by small yellow beads. His eyes were soft and dark. His face was not harsh at all. His skin was fair and his features lacked any sharp angles or roughness. Almost every inch of his body was covered by his heavy robe. A yellow trim coloured the sleeves and collar of the plum coloured garment. From what Setsu had seen, there were probably weapons hidden all over.
“Setsu. I have used up almost all of my chakra. I think Jori’s strikes broke a few ribs. Go on in and join the others. I need…to rest.” he groaned in pain. Setsu rose, realizing that Hana was truly hurt
Damn. This is no game! He charged for the wall and bound up to the peak. Use what Chidori taught me. With precise control of his chakra, his hands planted just below the wall’s edge. Both hands stuck on, and with focus, he was able to use his chakra to climb the wall and enter the fort. He knew both Mashimori and Hana would be out for the rest of the fight.

Ken and Fuzan were deadlocked with the two defending kunoichi on the southern walkway. It was Toko and Namori. Ken knew them well enough, but he hadn’t known how well they worked together. They had improved under Soma-sensei since the last time Ken had seen them in action.
“You two are pretty tough.”
“You’re not bad yourselves.” Fuzan gathered her breath and engaged the two nins. Ken was forced to assist. Until those two were cleared, moving in further to retrieve the flag would serve no purpose. Down in the center, Ken could see his training partner under Tanryu-sensei going up against some younger kid. Ken didn’t know who the dark haired boy was, but he felt bad for him to have to face Kaira. His partner hadn’t activated his iron skin jutsu yet, but once he did, he was unstoppable. Tanaka Jori was the only one to ever hurt him in that form.
Down below, Kenji’s sword slid from its sheath. He lunged at Kaira, striking with stabs and wide arcs. The big brute was too slow to dodge Kenji’s precise strikes, and if it weren’t for Genmon Araya throwing himself in between the two of them, Kenji knew his victory would be swift.
Araya lunged in with both speed and strength. Kaira backed off in the presence of his teammate’s attack. Araya threw punch and punch after shoulder tackle. Kenji swiftly dodged them all. With sudden speed and gusto, one bunkmate performed a fireball jutsu at the other. Kenji was hard pressed to dodge the technique.
With a swaying lean and an upward swing of his katana, he focused his chakra and sliced into the oncoming blaze. Its force was divided by the strike; Kenji’s sword cut it cleanly in two.
What the…he cut my fireball in half!? Damn it…this guy! Araya charged, unwilling to give up. As he arrived inches away form landing a solid blow, Kenji’s eyes met Araya’s and a counter attack was set in motion. The katana spun up with Kenji’s body weight and created a wide arc cutting across Araya’s path. The larger of the two nins stopped short, his feet grinding to a halt in the dirt.
“Kamaitachi!” A heavy sword stroke accompanied Kenji’s words. The jutsu was fast, too fast for Araya too dodge. It created a sudden gust that lifted Araya off his feet and into the air. A cyclone of wind kept him hovering above Kenji, Kaira, and Daruma’s heads. From that point, Kenji began to slice back and forth, as if carving geometrical designs in thin air. He swung one final time, Araya still held up by the small tornado.
Daruma watched as slices began to form on Araya’s body. Small cuts and gashes were appearing. Daruma watched with fascination. It appeared that Kenji’s sword resonated with the wind he controlled. Every time he cut the wind, the wind would in turn cut Araya. The howl of the wind only partially covered Araya’s shouts of pain. Almost a minute passed before Araya was released from the devastating jutsu. He fell to the ground hard. Daruma narrowed his eyes. I know this is necessary for them, but…such a harsh way to learn. He did not stop the exercise.
Kaira had seen enough and gathered enough chakra to act. He slapped his palms together and let out a loud shout. “Hhhhhnnnnnnaauughhhh!” The iron skin jutsu activated and Waramo Kaira had become a metal monster once again. His skin darkened and hardened to the colour and texture of sheer iron. He frame stretched out in height, only to broaden even more so. His shoulder and arms thickened. He could feel the awesome strength flowing through him. He lifted one heavy foot and slammed it down into the ground. A solid gouge was left by his footprint.
Kenji looked stunned at the sight. His focus intensified at the towering nin. “That still won’t be enough.”
Kaira smirked. “Let’s find out.” He charged. With a sudden flash, Kenji disappeared. Kaira threw his arms through an empty void where his opponent had been. He suddenly felt a slash at his back. He turned around and looked down to see Kenji right behind him. “Alright, you’re fast. But if you think that little stick will hurt me, think again!” Kaira hammered down both fists. Kenji disappeared with another instant flicker. Kaira’s knuckles cracked the hard, earth floor.
Kaira, once again, felt sword slashes against his back. They felt like scrapes from a pin. He swung about without hesitation and delivered a huge backhand to Kenji. “Hn. Like a gnat.” Kaira raised foot and stomped once more, creating a small crater below his heel. Kenji’s small body sailed out and slammed against the west wall. The impact was harsh.
Kenji pulled himself up. His eyes flared with a new kind of anger. This guy… Kenji sheathed his sword and focused his chakra. He managed to shake off the pain and charge Kaira. Kaira stood tall, waiting to see what the boy had to offer.
Without hand seals, the raven haired youth thrust both palms out at his opponent. ”Batsu Kazeken!” Kaira had felt the move once before, but he was confident about his chances that time around. The sudden gust blasted towards him; the effect was that of a cool breeze. Kaira’s thick hide and tremendous weight could not be moved by even that force of wind. He was simply too big.
Daruma couldn’t help but find a satisfying interest in the sight. So the kid’s not untouchable after all. That juggernaut has the perfect jutsu to fight Kenji. He can’t be cut, and he’s too heavy to get blown around.
Kenji fumed, his face turning red at the ineffectiveness of his techniques. This fat bastard! He’s underestimating me. He drew his sword once again. Kaira laughed in his face and slapped his chest. The metal on metal created an echoing pang. “That sword’s not sharp enough to pierce my skin.”
“Just wait,” Kenji muttered under his breath. He locked two fingers, index and middle, together in a one handed seal. He focused his chakra with closed eyes. Kenji’s mind turned to images of the wind, the storms, the unrelenting gales. His eyes opened and locked on to Kaira. A pure, white hot anger mixed in with his body energy and formed a lethal dose of chakra. His two fingered hand seal drew back. “Die,” Kenji whispered.
“Kenji!” Kenji heard his sensei’s voice calling him, but that wouldn’t stop him. He began to throw his arm forward until…
She appeared. Kenji froze at the sight of her. She, who knew his attacks better than anyone, landed directly in between he and Daruma. Kenji’s black eyes looked up to sapphire blue hers. The next few moments of current reality faded from his mind. He didn’t hear what they were saying.
Instead, his mind flashed to images of violence, murder, and death. And he saw her face in his memories. He blinked himself awake again. More people were coming in from the fort’s walls. More people on his team surrounded them all. They were supposed to be working towards obtaining a flag. It seemed like such a distant, stupid, pointless objective. Kenji couldn’t care less about the trivialities of the school or its methods. The only single reason he was there, participating, was because of people like her. The whole game gave him a reason to fight her, to become stronger, and possibly…to kill her. They locked eyes. Their battle begun.
Chapter 21: Capture the Flag! This is No Game! by gureamusaimon
Mayamoha Darba stood perched on the southeastern corner of the base. As much as he wanted to move in and stop the exercise, he knew that he could not. If they didn’t learn now, then they would only die later on. The range of talent at Hangyukunin was truly amazing. He had known there were many gems among the ranks, but to see them all in such an open training exercise, was an awakening sight. He gained a realization of how Damo and Oda’s plans would be fulfilled with such future shinobi. It was a sad and heavy thought.
“Enjoying the show?” Daruma hopped up to stand beside Darba. “I figured they needed the room, so I’ll stay up here with you for now.” An empty cup filled one hand. The breeze rustled his faded, once black shirt.
“Damo-san should be watching this. He’s got quite a few soldiers here.”
“Soldiers indeed, Darba. Have you noticed that our beloved students have completely forgotten their target? These are soldiers, not ninja. This mission isn’t supposed to be a brawl.” Darba sighed and agreed.
“I know. We’ve given them lessons in the elements of nindo, but out here, in such a place, they lack the structure that a standard village would provide. They haven’t been made to perform missions and study attack patterns.”
“Exactly…” Daruma paused, raising his cup and attempting to sip the missing liquid. “Enh…but that’s what Damo wants isn’t it?” Darba remained quiet, letting Daruma continue his line of thought. “Damo-san needs ninja to complete his goal, but he needs soldiers before that goal ever comes to fruition. All the hell that’s going to be raised doing what he’s doing, I don’t think stealth and secrecy are going to be the primary objectives. This will be war. It will be the perfect reason to let these kids tear each other apart, like their doing right now. To get them ready for what’s really ahead of them.” Darba slowly turned his head to meet Daruma. He spoke with unusual softness.
“Do you really believe that?” Daruma nodded.
“Absolutely, I do.”
“Hmn. I’ve thought something similar for a while, Daruma. It makes me…doubt why I’m here.”
“And why are you here?” A few moments passed. The wind was picking up.
“To find something worth fighting for, once again. And to build up, not tear down.” Daruma laughed, slow and deep.
“Darba, that sounds so naïve. Look around you. These aren’t diplomats we’re taming, they’re destructors.”
Setsu flipped over the earth wall and planted both feet on the terrace. He leapt down into the fray and pursued Tanaka Jori. Araya was down. Kaira was busy with two other attacking nins. Toko and Namori occupied the southeastern walkway, holding off Fuzan and Ken. Setsu saw Dosa and Hiyama, unmoving on the opposite walkway. He hoped they were alright. In the middle of the fortress, at the base of the tower, were Kenji and Chidori. The two were deadlocked in a gaze, tempting one another to make the first move. No one had any time to spare. Setsu was no different.
At that point, Jori was his responsibility. He wouldn’t let himself act as the weak link. He charged the taller, stronger ninja from behind. Jori took the strike Setsu offered and stumbled over. He was acting differently. His animal jutsu seemed to have worn off, but he was also swaying with each step. Then Setsu remembered. It was the poison.
Hana had used his puppet to spew poison mist into Jori’s face. It clearly was affecting him. His stance was tilted and his steps seemed to falter. Setsu rushed in to take advantage of the situation. He was countered with a quick backhand to the nose. Setsu reeled back. The strike had been fast, too fast to even see coming.
Jori was much bigger than Setsu was. It seemed that Hana’s poison hadn’t affected him fully. The look in Jori’s eyes was now one of an ill person, or perhaps a drunk man. “Konoha Bunshin no Jutsu!” Setsu summoned his doppelgangers and began to circle the tall, shaggy haired nin.
Jori twisted his neck one way, and then the other, tracking the movement of the four Setsus. The poison had given him a strange mix of heaviness and fluidity. He unable to stand up straight, yet filled with a feeling of flexibility, as though his arms were made of rubber. The Setsus charged.
He spun counter clockwise and thrashed both arms out, destroying one clone and creating a burst of leaves. “Konoha Jishaku!” The leaves began to pull to Jori, but his hampered movement somehow avoided being targeted. Jori leaned and swayed while pivoting on one heel. The leaves circled him, but only clumped against one another as he ducked out from the foliage. Damn. He avoided it. And I don’t have enough chakra to keep trying that jutsu. I don’t think I can fight him hand to hand either…
Setsu heard a grumble and turned to his right side. Behind him was Genmon Araya, pulling himself to his feet. Nicks and cuts covered his whole body. He panted deeply, but had a familiar look of determination in his eyes. “Need some help?”
Setsu didn’t know what to say, though a faint smile soon came to his face. The moment was brief; Jori swung a huge kick across Setsu’s head height. The leaf nin ducked down, barely avoiding the swing. He rolled to his right and was soon standing shoulder to shoulder with his former training partner. They met eyes for a moment before charging in.
Jori’s new pace was had to track, even when two against one. Araya would lunge, and Jori would sway to one side. Setsu would kick, and Jori would spun into a downward block, sweeping the attack aside. It would take both of them, working together to put the martial ninja down.
“Katon! Hidama no Jutsu!” Araya breathed out a blast of flame, showing he still had a solid reserve of chakra despite his encounter with Kenji. Jori saw the attack coming and dove straight back, hitting the ground. Setsu leapt up to deliver a falling kick, only to be halted and tossed aside by both of Jori’s legs. Jori then spun up off his back and flipped to his feet. His expression was strange; he was visibly hampered by the poison, yet adapting to its effects.
His face suddenly irked, growing red and flustered. Jori leaned over and vomited. Both Setsu and Araya paused in slight disgust. Jori pulled himself back up, one eye half closed.
“I…don’t know what’s wrong with him, but he’s too hard to read. And he’s strong. Setsu, we need to work together on this one.” Setsu looked into the dark brown eyes of his current teammate.
“Have anything in mind?” Araya smiled.
“Yeah.”
Kaira swung an iron arm and sent one of his two opponents sailing. Both males, he had no restraint in delivering a clobbering with his obvious size and strength advantage. “Heh heh. Morons.”
Multiple fights had broken out in the center of the base. Kaira’s partner, Ken, kept the upper level busy with his teammate. The pair of kunoichi held them off. Setsu and Araya were occupied fighting Tanaka Jori. And in the center of them all, were Kenji and Chidori. Both their weapons were drawn and the space between them soon disappeared.
Both of his opponents pulled themselves up and charged at Kaira once more. He boomed in excitement as they attacked. “Ha ha ha! Come on!”
Chidori raised her staff to block the incoming katana. Metal struck metal with a tang. Kenji deflected and swung around with a low sweep. Chidori just barely hopped the attack and countered with a thrust. He’s gotten better…that’s to be expected, I suppose.
She twirled her staff and swung in with a sideways strike. Kenji raised his blade and blocked the strike. Kenji’s sword was held vertically in place, pushing away her horizontal rod. She knew she could overwhelm him. She dropped her weight and thrust him off balance. He spun back a few feet and regained his stance. They charged again.
And once again their weapons were locked in a test of strength. Chidori was the stronger of the two. She began to push him back. “Do you still hate me?” The question hit her like a blow to the head. Her eyes met Kenji’s. He did not smile. In the moment, he seemed sincere. She remained silent, not out of consideration to the battle, but to the question. She really didn’t have an answer. “Just fight,” was all she said.
Kenji enjoyed the sight of her confusion. She was shaken by him. He had come to her home and shaken up what she had forgotten. It was his advantage. He charged. His strikes were strong and precise. He put his anger into them; it made him strong. His sword became an extension of his body, every slice like a flick of his wrist.
Hibika Shiyo sat on the northern wall, watching all the action unfold before her. All the instructors of Hangyukunin were there, watching. Everyone had moved inside, either perched on the walls, or on the walkways themselves. Not a single student seemed to notice their presence; not a single sensei interfered.
Soma watched her two, Toko and Namori, defend the upper level. Okio had a fixed interest on his only student still conscious, Tanaka Jori. Shiyo didn’t know what was wrong with the nin, but he was moving like a drunkard. Darba and Daruma stood at the southeastern corner. Daruma watched Kenji, and Darba, of course, kept his eyes on Genmon Araya. His other student was unconscious along with Torizuka Hiyama, so it was no surprise, really. Every sensei was there: Usama, Bako, Danmon, Aikuo. The only one left out was the teacher of Kaira and Ken, Tanryu. He remained fixed in his sitting position outside the wall. Heh. You’re missing the show.
Shiyo didn’t really need to watch. Undoubtedly, the abilities of the students were impressive. Some were likely to be stronger than she was. It outcome didn’t matter to her though. She had no personal students; her place in Hangyukunin was only temporary. She was unlike some others, who were much more invested.
Her gaze turned to Jashin Zakuya. The man stood on the northwestern corner, standing with arms crossed, staring down at Chidori. What does he see with those eyes? Shiyo wondered. What is it about his eyes that makes him so…powerful?
Zakuya’s eyes focused only on his senior student. He didn’t dare look away, not even to check on Setsu. The way she fought her younger opponent was enthralling. Their movement was paced like clockwork. One would swing, and the other would block. One would chop, and the other would dodge. Both their metal weapons created quick whoosh sounds that could easily be heard from where he stood.
He intensified his stare. His sight became pinpointed on their movements, every swing, every step, every output of chakra and ounce of will. And suddenly he saw what she must have seen when she looked at him. I see. You’ve always been special, Chidori. It seems this boy is special, too.
Araya dove in with a low kick and struck Jori in the knee. His taller opponent was knocked off balance. He continued his attack while Setsu molded his chakra. Araya couldn’t pinpoint the feeling, but to be working with Setsu again was somewhat invigorating.
It reminded Araya of the first year Setsu came to Hangyukunin. Back then, it had always been them, the two youngest students, against the larger, older ones. During training sessions, it had taken them both to team up find a solution to whatever challenge they faced. Granted, they often ended in failure, but it was the effort they put forth that Araya was reminded of. It was how much he had cared about winning, not just for himself, but as a team. Somewhere along the way things had changed, and then Setsu had gone and left for Zakuya. It had been almost a month since the day they fought.
“Araya, now!” Setsu called out to his partner to signal their attack. Araya formed the required seals and began. Ram-Horse-Tiger. “Gokakyou no Jutsu!” The heated blaze spewed out from Araya’s mouth, not to hit Jori, but instead near Setsu.
Setsu stood in line with Araya’s blast and their opponent. “Konoha Ame no Jutsu!” He thrust his palms forward and sent a spiraling barrage of leaves out. They spun through Araya’s flame and towards Jori. The streams of burning foliage remained steady and strong, swirling around Jori’s body and slashing at him like tentacles of fire. The sight locked in both Setsu and Araya’s minds.
“Aaaugh!” The scream was heard by all, but no one interfered. Tanaka Jori spun out from the blaze, marked with black singes. His pants were on fire, which caused him to hit the ground and roll. The flames died down, but Jori did not rise. He lay back, eyes closed, panting from exhaust.
Setsu and Araya both looked at the singes of Jori’s body. Neither could forget the reminiscence of the match they had had. That was how he beat me, Araya thought. Araya turned and met eyes with Setsu. The leaf nin did not look away. He stayed, connected with Araya, only breaking the momentary bond when he collapsed to his knees.
“That’s it, Araya. My stamina’s gone.” Araya let the breeze guide him down to one knee. It seemed strange that a breeze had slipped past fifteen foot walls.
“Yeah, I know the feeling. Plus…” He turned to Chidori and Kenji, witnessing the speed and intensity of their battle. “…I think I’d just get in the way of those two.”
Both Setsu exhaustedly turned and watched their team captain. She was no longer playing within the ideals of winning a game. Her movements were fierce, her will, unyielding. And her eyes…Her eyes!
Chidori’s eyes lit up with a crimson red. Kenji’s were the same. The two shinobi could not break free from each other’s gaze, even for a moment. Chidori and Kenji both panted heavily. Sweat beaded down their skin. They had entered another phase of intention. Whether it had happened with purpose, or simply risen out from hidden feelings form the past, they were absolutely trying to destroy one another.
“This is it! Die!” Kenji shouted. Daruma and Zakuya shifted from their positions. Both had heard the cry, both could feel the killing intent. Neither was fast enough to stop the attack from happening. Kenji disappeared in a flash and a slice formed on Chidori’s left hip. A flicker of motion could be perceived by only the most alert, and another gash then formed on her left shoulder. Cut after cut, no one could see Kenji, only the slashes of his sword were visible, forming at insane speed on Chidori’s body.
Within seconds, it was over. Zakuya and Daruma’s feet touched the ground as Chidori’s body hit it. Kenji stood, visible again. Neither sensei spoke. Both their mouths were ajar. An unusual silence filled the base. Everyone seemed to have stopped, either defeated, or simply exhausted. Kenji’s actions served as an exclamation point to the entire exercise. All that could be heard was the shing of Kenji sliding his blade into its black sheath. He stood, staring at his downed opponent. There was no smile and no frown. He looked drained.
Kenji too one slow step, and then another, towards the ramp of the spire. Step by step, he walked up towards the peak of the tower and pulled the staff from its place. He returned with an equally lifeless gait, and dropped the yellow banner at Daruma’s feet. “Sensei.”
The game was over.
Chapter 22: Aftermath! by gureamusaimon
Sensei Ozma Tanryu rose to his feet. His legs were stiff from sitting crosslegged for so long. Everyone was cleared from the fort. He slapped his hands together and cut off the chakra flow from his body to the earthen structure. With a sudden shift in its form, the stronghold began to crumble.
First one wall slanted, and then the others followed after it. Within half a minute the whole fortress had collapsed. Clouds of dust billowed up into the sky. Tanryu turned his back to them. The walls and spire shifted back into simple soil and clay, sinking into the ground and becoming nothing more than a shallow hill. Tanryu began his walk back to the Hangyukunin core; the others had already left him.
The medical facility was small at the academy; it was only meant to hold eight people at once. All eight beds were full after the stronghold exercise had finished. Kyoujo Usama watched students all around him tending to their injuries He counted the bodies in the room.
Ichori Hana lay awake in one bed, not quite ready to be moving around. His ribs had been broken at the hands of Tanaka Jori. He had small gashes on his arms and tears in his purple robe, from where Jori’s fingernails had literally sliced into his skin. Hana didn’t seem discomforted by the condition; clearly he was not a stranger to physical pain.
Earlier Jori had been standing at his bedside, both apologizing for the injuries, and commenting on how exciting their fight had been. Judging by his attitude, you wouldn’t be able to tell that he’d been injured in the fight. Hana’s poison didn’t seem bother him. Neither did the black singes or the bare, red burn marks from Araya’s flame jutsu. Usama had applied a slave to Jori’s skin, bandaged him up, and treated him with Hana’s antidote for the poison. He was clearly still feeling the toxin’s effects though. His stance wavered and his speech slurred. Usama smirked at Hana’s begrudging acceptance of Jori’s intoxicated attention to him. Heh. What a guy, he was drugged, burned, and beaten, and he’s still up and making friends.
Soon enough, the martial ninja let the puppeteer rest and left to watch over his own training partner, Torizuka Hiyama. She and Angyo Dosa took up another two beds, having been rendered unconscious throughout the exercise. Neither was injured, and both would awake soon enough.
The fourth cot carried a sleeping Tokoyono Mashimori. He too had succumbed to Hana’s poison. Unlike Jori, he lacked the muscle mass and excellent physical condition to repel the effects. He would awake before the day was over. His black bandanna had been pulled down over his eyes in a mocking manner by one of his fellow students, in hopes that he would awake thinking he was blind.
Jinkyo and Amehada took up the fifth and sixth beds. They had been the unlucky ones to face Waramo Kaira. Both were sore and beaten, one was concussed. Usama took note that Kaira had been the only one to leave the exercise without a scratch on him. It seemed that whatever cuts and wounds he had suffered had been nullified by his iron skin technique. Usama had never worked with Kaira closely, but it seemed that the jutsu involved not only an iron defense, but a healing factor to overcome minor injuries as well. Usama marveled at Kaira, who nearly filled the entryway of the medical facility, laughing with his partner, Ken. What a destructive force he will one day become.
Bed number seven held Tsunai. She had fallen in to one of the defending team’s traps. Her ankle had slipped and twisted, but it was nothing of great concern. Most of the students had completed the exercise with little injury. Mimito Setsu had taken a small beating by Ken, but he would be fine. Both Ken and Fuzan had left with minor bruises. Genmon Araya was covered in bandages, but it seemed like nothing could keep him down for long. Soma-sensei’s two young kunoichi, Toko and Namori, had already left to rest in the comfort of their dorm room. The exercise was harsh, but the students had shown their strength and perseverance.
Usama smiled at the sight of them all. It was as if none of them were affected by the harsh conditions they had, just one hour ago, been put through. Jori greeted a newly awakened Hiyama. Setsu and Araya were speaking outside the facility. Kaira, Ken, and Fuzan joked at Mashimori, who awoke to a confusing darkness. Even Hana seemed quite placid, as if meditating with open eyes. These guys…they were fighting a mock war in there, and now they’re all at ease. It’s like they belong on the battlefield. With proper training, and some experience, who knows how far they’ll go.
Kyoujo Usama was suddenly reminded of Hangyukunin’s mission, its single intention for existing. As he stared at the young shinobi all around him, he felt himself put to ease by their calmness, their vitality, and their potential. They were fit for what the councilors wanted of them, he realized. They would succeed.
The feeling washed over him as he remembered he had work to attend to. He was one of the most skilled medical shinobi at Hangyukunin, and his priority was to heal all wounds. He began a slow walk to the end of the hall, where the eighth bed lay. Behind a white curtain was Arashiko Chidori. She had suffered the greatest injuries amongst them all. Her condition was not good.
The dark boy Kenji, who had been absent since the exercise ended, had done quite a number on her. Everyone saw it happen, but at the same time, no one had seen anything. The boy moved like the wind, standing firm, poised, and ready in one moment, and then completely absent in the next. Each strike to Chidori’s body had been performed in a flash from all sides, as if he had become the wind itself.
She had cuts all over her body. They weren’t gashes or tears either, not like Jori’s claw slashes; they were precise and motivated wounds. Each one slim and accurate, hitting several major vital points. She had lost a significant amount of blood.
Sensei Zakuya had been the one to pick her up, her blood staining his gilded robe. Usama remembered the look in Zakuya’s eyes as he held his prized student. It was a rare sight to see. The consistent mask of confidence and arrogance had been dropped, and a glimpse of anger, confusion, and perhaps even fear, showed his human side. It was a humbling display, seeing a wounded student bleeding in the arms of her sensei.
Usama remembered it as he stepped up to the white curtain. His hand grabbed on to the hanging sheet and pulled it aside. He blinked in confusion; she was gone. Before his eyes was an empty mattress with a bed sheet tossed aside. His eyes scanned the bed, and then traveled up the wall to the open window. She left? In that condition? This person…

Araya turned away from the bright afternoon sun. “It’s getting warmer out. We’re well into spring, now. Hm. I guess I won’t be needing this for a while.” Araya took off his jacket and set it down on the stone on which he sat. The breeze was cool, but the air was warm enough to go with just a single layer on.
Setsu’s clothes were lighter as well. Araya noticed the change during the training exercise. He wore a sleeveless, grey shirt and a pair of dark green pants. His knees were covered with the protectors that many ninja wore: black flexible braces with metal guards for protection. It was influence of his new training partner, Araya realized.
“So that was pretty cool, huh? That jutsu we did to Jori? He’s alright now, but…man. It was a rush.”
Setsu sat across from Araya, leaning back against a large tree trunk. He nodded in agreement. “Yeah. It all happened pretty quickly. That was some good thinking on your part.” Araya laughed.
“Well, it’s not like I didn’t have previous inspiration. Heh.” Setsu lowered his head, unsure whether to join in Araya’s joke or not. Araya saw the motion and addressed it. “Setsu, come on….I’m not sore about that. It’s cool, you know?” Setsu’s eyes rose to meet Araya’s. He then smirked and nodded, brushing off whatever tension had remained between the two.
“Well, we did a good job. I guess we failed the test though. I mean, after what happened to Chidori. Man…that Kenji guy. He’s unbelievable.”
“Beh. He’s…well, I can’t argue against that. That kid is strong. So arrogant though. I don’t know what his deal is, but he’s messed up. Believe me. Both me and Dosa would rather have him gone from our bunk.” Setsu shrugged.
“I wouldn’t want to mess with him. I wonder what the council will do with him. I mean...by the looks of it, he nearly killed Chidori. That jutsu…it was like he was everywhere at once. I could barely see him. Damn, I hope she’s alright.” The two nins both paused to recall the image. It had been incredibly fast, but so bloody and brutal; they knew it would stay with them for some time.
“I think they’re having a meeting right now,” Araya began. “About us, everyone. They’re probably talking about what to do with Kenji.”
“Hm. Yeah, I guess.” Both nins leaned back and relaxed. Silence formed a vacancy in their conversation. Araya looked over at Setsu. He seemed calm. He was a little different from the past months. He’s less stressed, more relaxed.
“So what is it like with Zakuya?” Araya’s question broke the void. Setsu turned casually and sucked in a breath before responding.
“Well, he’s different. He’s strict, smart, kinda…bold, I guess. He could be described as…eccentric, at times.” Araya’s eyebrows shifted.
“What do you mean by eccentric at times?” Setsu’s face irked slightly. He didn’t know exactly what he had meant.
“Uhhh…I mean, passionate, I guess. He can be intense.”
Araya’s head lowered to the ground. He leaned forward and rested both elbows on his knees. “So you’re staying there, then?” The second question shook Setsu’s demeanor more than the first. He looked up, but not at Araya.
“Stay with Zakuya? Well, yeah. I mean…he’s my sensei now.” Setsu spoke with a nearly sarcastic tone, pretending not to understand Araya’s intention.
“Ah, come on, Setsu. You don’t really want to stay with that guy, do you? I mean, you know that Dosa and I want you back on our team. Kenji’s probably gonna go AWOL after what he did, and Darba-sensei would want you back. I’m sure of it.” Setsu’s gaze stayed fixed on anything but Araya, while Araya’s was locked in Setsu.
“Araya, I…I’m happy with Zakuya-sensei. I don’t want to go changing things now. Plus, I’m sure Darba is happy just focusing on you.” Araya’s face tightened.
“What do you mean by that? Look, I know Darba-sensei is more my type. We both focus on taijutsu and we’re both fire types, but he worked hard when we were partners. He knew we made a good team. Plus, do you really trust Zakuya? I mean, he’s…a bad guy. Just look at him. The way he talks, his attitude.”
Setsu’s eyes rolled at the statement. “Zakuya’s not a bad guy. He’s different, that’s for sure. Strange, maybe. Darba isn’t the perfect teacher either though. And I don’t think he wants me as your partner, believe me.” Araya huffed out a hard breath.
“What, you think Zakuya is stronger than Darba-sensei?”
“It’s not about who’s stronger! I’m just saying that I don’t want to train with Darba!” Setsu finally met eyes with Araya. He saw the persistence on his face.
“Setsu, what is it about Darba-sensei, you have a problem with? He’s taught you a lot. Remember when you first came here? He showed you how to survive in the exhibition matches. He showed us how to use your leaf clones with my tunneling jutsu. You owe him, just like I do.” Setsu was becoming desperate trying to defend himself. He knew that Araya’s stubbornness would not let up.
“Araya! I don’t owe him anything! He was my sensei. Now I have a new one. That’s all it is! He doesn’t want me as a student and I don’t want him as a teacher! It’s like…fuck!” Setsu threw his hands up in a sign of helplessness. He looked at Araya with a half scowl. What do you want me to say? Damn it!
Araya looked down and shook his head. “That’s bullshit, Setsu.” His tone was quiet. “You should honour your teacher, whether they’re perfect or not. And what’s this about Darba-sensei not wanting you as a student? I think that’s just some excuse.” Setsu rose to his feet. He opened his mouth to speak, but instead turned and began his exit. Araya shot up after him without a thought.
“Hey! Don’t just walk away! Give me an answer! What’s your problem with Darba!?” Setsu stopped; his head hung low. His eyes darted along the ground as he searched for the words he wanted.
“I…I don’t want to talk about it.” His exit continued.
“Well I do! Come on! Spill it, Setsu!” Araya’s hand planted on Setsu’s shoulder, spinning him halfway back. The leaf nin was then a quarter turn away from facing Araya straight on. His eyes looked down; his brows showed his frustration.
The sudden grip of Araya’s hand sent a memory through his mind. It was the feeling he used to feel when he was around Araya, the whole time that they had been partners. There had been many good times, but there was always that feeling. It was the sense of inferiority. Setsu had always been the weaker one, the less experienced, the one that gave up earliest. Darba had kept his eyes on Araya; Setsu had always been second to him. Even though they were the same age, Araya was the senior between the two.
His eyes traced along the ground, over to Araya’s boots, and slowly up his leg. The auburn haired nin awaited an answer. Setsu’s face revealed the feeling of discomfort. He continued to trace up his former partner’s body. Araya was bigger. He was stronger and more solid, heavier and squarer. His knuckles were just a little harder and his punches were just that much stronger. That feeling bubbled up inside Setsu. He was suddenly taken back in time to when everything was hard, and nothing he did was right. that feeling filling his body.
Setsu’s head turned to finally meet Araya’s glare. He looked at him, and just felt small. Any word that could have come to his mind to make the situation worse, did. Weak. Small. Quitter. Loser. Araya’s physical presence, just the possibility that he may reach out and impose his strength, made Setsu shrivel up inside. Setsu’s face tightened. In that moment, he could have shed a tear, if any had welled in his eyes.
“What do you know, Araya?” The nin’s voice was low, fighting the weak tremble that his emotion was forcing upon it. His breathing quickened. “You don’t know shit. Darba has always looked to you for progress. He’s always had high expectations of you. I was just the kid that filled the gap. Every sensei gets two students…so that’s where I come in.
You might not notice because he’s your freakin’ hero, but Darba doesn’t give a shit about me. I don’t think he even gives a shit about Dosa or Ido. He’s not trying to make us better, he’s just protecting what he cares about, his own concerns. You’re like a son to him. And Naho is his woman. They fuck, you know? I’ve seen them go off together. He only gives a shit about you and her, cause you’re the ones that make him feel whole. You two make him feel good about himself. Everyone else is just a burden, a chore.
When we fought, no one thought I was going to win. Everyone knew you would beat me easily. Don’t act like you didn’t think the same thing. When I won, which was only because of Zakuya by the way, Darba hated it. He came in and stopped the match, because he couldn’t stand the sight of you losing to me. He couldn’t stand everyone else seeing it either. They all knew that it was Zakuya-sensei’s teaching that did it. They all knew that Darba had given up on me, and Zakuya had succeeded where he had failed.
The look in his eyes…I’m telling you, man. He was speaking to me. It was like he said, hurt Araya and I’ll fucking kill you. He knew then and there that I was going to Zakuya-sensei for training. He looked at me like I was his enemy.” Setsu’s recollection brought water to his eyes. The burning image of Darba’s powerful glare was in his mind. Araya waited, stone faced, holding a solid scowl as Setsu explained himself. Setsu’s quickening breath and welling tears did not affect him.
“Araya…you’ve always been a nice guy. You’ll smile and make friends as quick as anyone. But you’ve always seen me as your sidekick. I’ve always been around to make you feel stronger.
At first…you know what?…I thought that I was doing something wrong by going to Zakuya-sensei. I thought that you were right and that I was being a jerk, and after you beat me, I would apologize and everything would stay the same.” Setsu paused, growing angry and embarrassed at the tear that ran down his cheek.
“But when I beat you, you hated it. You hated feeling weak for that one moment more than I ever did. We met eyes in the ring, that day. I looked at you, and I knew what you were thinking. I could feel it. You weren’t thinking about who my teacher would be, or the good times we had. You were just pissed off that I beat you, pissed that I stood up to you and won. Pissed that for one moment, people doubted my position as the guy who was less than you.
My leaving to train with Zakuya isn’t wrong. You and Darba aren’t right. Your way isn’t the right way, it’s just an alternative.” Setsu turned to face Araya in full. He straightened out his neck and the two boys met eye to eye. “I moved on. Things changed. Get over it.”
The afternoon breeze was cool. It rustled the branches and filled the silence that dominated the wake of Setsu’s speech. Araya scanned the brown haired nin with squinted eyes. His glare ran over Setsu’s face, as if examining a sight he had never seen before. As much as Araya had wanted to interrupt Setsu the entire time, he hadn’t. And now, when his time to speak arrived, he found he had nothing to say. Finally, he opened his mouth.
“You’re wrong, Setsu.” The words seemed lacking and ineffective, like the dulled edge of a weapon. He began to shake his head as he spoke. “You’re wrong about me and you’re wrong about Darba-sensei.” The look on his face spoke for him as he searched for the words he wanted. “If you believe everything you just said, then you really don’t know who I am.”
Setsu’s eyebrows perked in a moment of strength, silently challenging the statement. “Who am I?” Araya responded. “I’m your friend, you asshole. I’m someone who would look out for you, no matter what. I don’t like to lose, that much you got right. But I care more about my friends than you know. I care more about the people close to me than you can imagine.
I always thought that you and I were different. I always wanted us to be a team. You know why? It’s cause we never had anyone. I remember the first day you showed up at Hangyukunin. I heard that some kid with no parents and no family had been brought in. It made me sad, cause I knew exactly what it’s like to be alone. So I saw you and thought, Maybe this guy knows how I feel. Maybe this guy thinks like I do. Maybe this person is worth giving a shit about.”
Araya stopped and let his shoulders relax. His eyes narrowed and his mouth opened, but no more words came out. He looked angry at himself for not having the right words. Instead of speaking, Araya reached into his pouch.
From inside he pulled a bright red piece of cloth. He held it out to Setsu. “What is this?” Setsu asked.
“It’s a bandanna.” His voice was quieter now. “I saw Mashimori a few days ago and thought his was cool. I cut one for myself, but it was too long; so I cut it in half and thought you might want it.” He tossed the red garment to Setsu, who threw up his hand and snatched it out of the air.
“It’s something that I wanted you to have. I’m not going to act like I don’t still want that.” Araya stepped around Setsu and made his return back to his dorm. As he walked away, Setsu remained still, holding the bandanna and staring down to the grass below. “And fuck you for talking about Darba-sensei that way.”
Araya left. Setsu didn’t linger either. He refused to let himself stand still and doubt what he had said to Araya. The nin made his way back to his dorm; it had been a long day.
Chapter 23: Cracks in the Mask! by gureamusaimon
The bare palms of the ANBU agent hovered over Ido’s forehead. He gathered chakra into his hands and planted them down on his brother’s temples. Jet closed his eyes and felt himself surge into Ido’s mind. He used the training that his clan had once taught him to create a connection between their two minds.
Jet opened his eyes within a dark and murky realm. A projection of his consciousness was active within the confines of the younger ninja. He could walk around and search for what he wanted.
It was a dark place. Sebumaki Ido’s subconscious appeared as a long, misty
hallway, the ceiling too high to see. A series of doors appeared on either side of the hall, each one a portal so black they looked as though they led nowhere. Jet began to walk down the endless hall, in search for his brother’s lost mind.
He walked past dark doors, neither one offering a sense of life. His footsteps
seemed to echo tremendously in the place. When he touched the walls, they rippled like water. Jet recognized the effects of the coma. It was a damaged mind.
After what could have been either minutes or hours, Jet found his first sign of activity. He entered one room that glowed with life. Inside were three figures. One was a blond child. It was Ido at the age of seven, Jet remembered. His skin and hair glowed with light. The second was an old, grey haired man. He paced back and forth, muttering unintelligible nonsense. He wore a long ponytail and wore heavy, gilded robes. A pair of small, round glasses had slid down past his nose. The third image was that of Ido himself, a boy of fourteen with similar clothes and appearance. This one lay on the ground, bleeding.
Jet bypassed the first two figures and headed for the third. He walked with caution. While he was confident in his abilities, tampering with another’s mind was a strange and difficult task. He reached the image of his brother, laid out with a huge gash across his chest. “I saw a monster,” he said to Jet. His eyes vacantly stared up to the endless black
“I see.” Jet inspected the body. It was not what he had imagined. There were no seals and no signs of jutsus. It was just a physical wound, at least as physical as the subconscious could be. Jet had expected a complex genjutsu, something to be disassembled with care. This was simply raw damage. To create such a wound…this is nothing more than pure, killing intent. Intent so strong though…
It would be easier than he thought. Jet reached down to begin healing the wound, when a sudden pull jerked him off his feet. He felt himself losing grip on the ground around him, as if gravity began to invert. Jet lifted off the floor at an incredible speed, and found himself sailing upwards into the black.
His eyes broke open and his head jerked back. Jet breathed deeply, realizing he was back in the physical world. Through the single window he saw the sky had darkened. It had been hours. I was in there for longer than I thought. I used up too much chakra. He leaned back and breathed deeply.
“So this is what you’ve been up to.” Jet shot up from his chair in a flash. One hand planted on a kunai, the other stayed free. Before consideration of who was speaking or where they were, he already had considered several different jutsus. All his defensive reflexes were unnecessary however. It was Boon.
The other, tiger-masked agent of ANBU stepped out from the shadows of one corner. He was robed and fully covered, unlike Jet. Jet had shed his cloak and mask while working on Ido. The two were alone in the room near Sebumi Oda’s quarters.
“I thought it was you slipping in and out of this place. Jet, is this where you’ve been for the whole time? I haven’t spoken to you in over a week! You last said that you were working on finding answers.” Jet nodded with a closed mouth and tired eyes. He began to respond, after giving a quick thought to the fact that it was the first time Boon had ever seen his face.
“Yes, I’ve been here. I’m following a lead. Have you spoken with Gyoto?”
“No. I thought he may have contacted you. It’s been over three weeks. I don’t like it.” Boon looked down at Ido. “Who is this?” Jet regained his seat with a sigh.
“A wounded student of this school. I made an agreement with one of the councilors to heal this child. In return, they will reveal the information on all the sensei and students of this school.”
“You’ve been here healing this boy?” Jet nodded and Boon allowed a moment of consideration. “So what have you learned?” The words sunk in quickly. Jet’s work was not yet done, and he knew the beck of the Hokage’s orders would require his presence back in Konoha. He couldn’t leave Hangyukunin.
“Not enough,” was his response. “The councilor Sebumi Oda has assured me she will comply once the task is complete.” Jet nearly winced after saying the words. He realized the flaw of his lie.
“She assured you? I wouldn’t think you would be assured by promises from missing nins. How can you trust her? You know this doesn’t follow the standard course of engagement.” Boon’s immediate doubt was clear. Jet lowered his head and feigned fatigue as his mind raced for the proper lie. He had never had to lie to his own people before. He felt a sudden moment of humour, feeling what it was like to be on the other side of the ANBU mask.
“I am confident that she will comply.” I don’t want to compete with him right now. “I was very convincing.” This isn’t enough. Jet looked into the black slits of the white and red tiger mask. Boon stood in a neutral pose; he was impossible to read. While Jet couldn’t read his expression, he knew what he would be thinking if he were in Boon’s place. He doubts me. I need to be rid of him.
“I did learn one interesting fact, however.” The line caused Boon’s interest to outweigh his suspicion. The masked agent gestured for his partner to continue. Jet began his explanation. “Gyoto suspected the existence of a second facility under Hangyukunin’s watch. He left north to investigate its location.”
“That much I already know.” Jet turned to Boon and met his fixed stare.
“Yes…of course. What I mean is that I’ve discovered the location of Hangyukunin’s alternate base.” Jet continued on to explain the details that Oda had revealed to him. Boon seemed satisfied with the information; his stare turned from Jet to the walls of the room. He began a slow pace about the room as he spoke aloud with interest.
“The north of the Fire Country…so that’s where their base is. That must be where they’ve sent their ‘graduated’ students. Hmm, Gyoto has been gone for too long. We can’t just stay here. We can’t leave Gyoto either. Heading back to Konoha would take nearly three days. And this base you speak of isn’t far away. Probably less than a day’s travel.” Boon grew silent, his thoughts turning inward. Jet shrewdly eyed his partner in an attempt to gauge his thoughts. He was stolid as always, but his body language betrayed him. Jet noticed the agent’s tightened grip in both hands. Come on, Boon. You know you want to rush in alone. Don’t go back to Konoha. Go find Gyoto!
Boon abruptly stopped and turned to Jet. “Alright. We should make a reconnaissance run through the region you described. I knew that they were keeping something nearby. There’s been too many coming and goings. If we find Gyoto, then we’ll continue as he wants. If not, then we’ll return to Konoha and request backup. Does that sound acceptable?” It sounds perfect.
“Absolutely. Save for one small problem.” Jet gestured to Ido. “I’m in the middle of a delicate situation here. I can’t leave until this is resolved.”
“You believe this boy to be more important than finding our squad leader?”
“Hm. I wasn’t speaking simply of the boy’s recovery. I’m in the process of extracting information from the councilwoman. That weighs upon my ability to heal this boy. If I leave now, I lose any hope of learning what she promised me.” Boon’s tiger mask stilled. Jet could sense his partner’s probing eyes, running along his face through those small, black slits. He knew what Boon was thinking.
“So you’re saying you want to stay? Listen Jet, I’m not the commanding officer here, but you know the protocol as well as I do. Our squad leader is the most important factor here. Given that we have a location of their base, we should confirm his status as quickly as possible and make our way back to Konoha. We can pull reinforcements from there.” Jet did not waver.
“Boon, when we left Konoha, how many teams were available? You know the conflicts with the Country of Stone have taken up half of our shinobi. Allegiances with other countries have forced the rest of us to assist. They’re calling it the Third Great War; it doesn’t look to be over. I agree, confirming Gyoto’s condition is important, but I don’t think abandoning this mission is wise either.” Jet paused. Boon did not respond immediately. Good.
“You and I are in a low risk situation now. The sensei of this academy do not appear as a threat to us, and I’m in a position to manipulate one of the founding members. Gyoto is the only loose end to this mission. If we could only…” The blond shinobi leaned forward against the edge of the wooden table where Ido lay and interlocked his fingers, feigning deep consideration. Boon waited for his words.
“Give me three more days, Boon. Wait until then and I should be finished with everything here. Then you and I can head for the base ourselves and confirm Gyoto’s status.” He looked to the tiger mask with resolution in his eyes. Take the bait. Say what I know you’ll say.
“That’s too long,” Boon responded immediately. “Neither of us has seen Gyoto for three weeks. We need to act. If you won’t leave, then…then I’ll make the run myself.” Yes. “It’s only a short trip. I’ll keep myself well hidden. Whether I can locate Gyoto or not, I’ll be back within two days, and we can make our way back to Konoha from there.”
Jet raised one hand to his cheek, bringing a look of doubt to his face. The gesture was gone as quickly as it appeared. It was a subtle thing, a careful, physical lie; he knew that it would work. It wasn’t that he doubted Boon’s intelligence, he simply had faith in his own. Jet released a quick sigh, and spoke.
“Alright. As long as you stay within the borders of Fire, you should be fine. Make your run, I’ll write down the coordinates for you. I should be finished here not long after you return. We’ll make our way back from there.” Boon nodded.
Jet quickly sketched the details of Hangyukunin’s hidden base onto his partner’s map. Boon was already prepared with everything he needed; he estimated the trip would take him no more than eight hours. He walked to the window and perched up on the open sill.
“Boon.” Jet saw the tiger mask turn to him once more. He allowed a moment of silence to stress the moment between them. “…it’ll be three of us heading back to Konoha, not just two. Alright?”
Boon nodded in affirmation before disappearing from the window. And that’s that. Jet waited until he was sure his partner was gone from his presence. Once Boon’s scent had thinned, Jet addressed his comatose brother. “Ido, it appears we’ve been given a time limit. I need you awake in two days.”
The Bond Between Teacher and Student! by gureamusaimon
Evening had fallen on Hangyukunin. The sensei of the academy filled the round room of the Utsaru. Four of the five councilors sat at one end of the circular table. Sebumi Oda was the most senior amongst them. She sat with interlocked fingers and a sullen look. Damo’s seat was empty; he was still occupied elsewhere. While Zakuya had the authority to sit amongst the councilors, he had long since admitted his lack of interest in the political face of things, and instead stood upright against the wall.
The other sensei took seats around the table. Sumate Okio sat beside Mayamoha Darba. Ozma Tanryu leaned back against the wall opposite Zakuya. Daruma leaned forward in his seat, both elbows supporting his skeletal frame. Yamoto Soma sat beside him. The remaining instructors and officials of Hangyukunin filled the rest of the seats. The meeting began.
“Who will report on the details of today’s examination?” It was Hayate, one of the senior councilors, who asked. Sensei Okio was the first to speak.
“We were given a good view of the student’s abilities in action. A number of them flourished in the exercise, showing talent that they had never displayed before. Much adaptation, I believe.” Soma countered the opinion.
“I could say the opposite. There was undeniably some moments of execution and skill, but I witnessed much miscommunication and sloppy teamwork. I actually saw two students in a janken match.” Darba and Tanryu both scratched their beards as Soma’s eyes came to them.
“Hm, It seems that different perspectives provide different answers. I suppose we’ll simply sort through the facts. I’ll begin the list of names. Starting with…” Hayate flipped through a few pages laid in front of him. “Waramo Kaira. How will he fare in field work?”
Kaira’s sensei, Tanryu, spoke on his student’s behalf. “Kaira is well suited to battle. His natural abilities make him a powerful field operative. He has an impenetrable defense, and a strong base in taijutsu and combative ninjutsu. He also has a vast reserve of chakra for one of his age.”
“A juggernaut would be the best way to put it. He lacks a tactical mind and doesn’t take missions seriously.” Sensei Danmon pointedly added onto Kaira’s profile. Tanryu looked cross at the statement.
The two continued to add their opinions, bickering on until Hayate was satisfied. Zakuya was utterly bored with the whole proceeding. It wasn’t that he didn’t care about Hangyukunin; he simply found it difficult to endure a lengthy discussion about each and every student. Some were strong, others were weak. If he had time, he would train them all himself and make each one a jounin level shinobi.
He found it difficult to focus though. He knew what was happening elsewhere as the meeting commenced. Zakuya turned and stared out the window, into the fading daylight of the surrounding forests. Recent memories surfaced in his mind, blocking out the chatter around him.

“Chidori? You should be resting.” She had appeared at his home not long after the students had been taken to the medical facility.
“I didn’t want to wait around. I have something to do.”
She was covered nearly head to toe. Her usual bandages had been soaked in blood, and were replaced at the medical facility. Her clothes were torn, nearly falling off her body. White strips of cloth covered the cuts on her face. She was favouring one leg, clearly an injury from what Kenji had done to her. Judging from her body, she looked defeated, but her eyes told a different story.
“It seems this boy had you beat.” Zakuya knew Chidori had always been a strong girl, but the look in her eyes at that moment had been fierce. The mention of Kenji brought powerful emotion to her face. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth tightened. She was angry, clearly, but there was more. Zakuya saw sadness and regret in her face. The combination was something he had never seen in her before.
She was strong though, and her eyes didn’t dare to water. She held back the truth of what she felt and stepped into Zakuya’s home. Her steps were slow; her injuries had been significant. It forced the sensei to feel slightly disturbed. Seeing her limp by, moving stiffly and painfully from her recent defeat, flinching every time her left leg touched the ground, made Zakuya stare at her in doubt.
He had trained her for over three years. She had been a rare find, an abandoned girl from the strong, but thinning Arashiko clan. He had taken her in from the remains of a roving group that had held her against her will. With no parents and no family to turn to, he became the sole figure in her life. He unlocked the potential in her and showed her how strong she could become.
What was more, it turned out that she bore a phoenix seal. What could it be but destiny? She was his gem, a future shinobi of magnificent ability, and one who held a piece of his puzzle. He raised her to be strong and she had not once failed to meet his expectations.
And then that boy, Kenji, came along. He had defeated her quite thoroughly; she nearly died. Never before had he questioned Chidori. Why did she lose? Was she weak? Did I not prepare her? She was his beautiful sparrow of the storm. To see her in pain weakened his heart.
“I need to go see him, Zakuya-sama. I wanted to tell you, because…” She lowered her head with a moment of reflection. He didn’t wait for her to finish.
“Chidori, you never told me you had a brother.” Her head rose. There was that look again. It was as though a piece of her heart slipped out of place at the drop of the boy’s name. Clearly she had been wounded, long before Kenji’s sword had struck her, long before Zakuya had ever found her. It was a wound that he had been unaware of. A sudden break in the connection between master and student appeared. She’s carried this all along. It’s only now, after he’s appeared, that I’ve noticed. Chidori…
“He’s not truly my brother. We were born in the same clan, but to different parents. When we were young, we spent time together. I had other siblings, but he was an only child. I was like an older sister to him. He had…no one else.” She took a deep breath. ”I wanted to tell you that I’m going to see him because…we may fight again. He may kill me.”
“Chidori…you know I could never let him kill you.”
Her response was quick, as if countering his idea of keeping her away from Kenji. “You could still use my body. You could harvest the seal even if I died.” Zakuya was breathless. His eyes remained locked on her, but his voice weakened.
“Chidori…have I really been so single-minded…as to make you believe that all I care about is the phoenix? You, my dear…I would never allow harm to come to you.” Chidori looked to her sensei with restrained emotion. Her eyes were both bold and soft. She is so strong, he thought.
“Zakuya-sama, thank you. I…I must speak with him though. He needs me now.”
“He tried to kill you. What to you intend to do with him?”
“I don’t know. I don’t want to fight. I don’t think he does either. Don’t think of him harshly, Zakuya-sama. He never had anyone to take care of him, not truly. Not like you did for me. I need to let him know that I’m still here for him. Whether he wants to hear it or not.”
Zakuya sighed. He couldn’t argue with her. He forced himself to look past the initial anger he felt for Kenji and see him through her eyes. She loved him.
“Alright Chidori, I won’t stand in your way.”
“Thank you, Zakuya-sama.” She began a slow exit from his home. Each awkward step she took reminded him of Kenji’s brutal attack. It had been so fast, he hadn’t been able to stop it. Her painful gait brought the vision of that sword into Zakuya’s mind.
“He’s been missing for hours. You won’t know where to find him. Let me come with you. I’ll be able to locate him for you.”
“No…thank you. I know where he’ll be. He’s drawn to the wind.” She turned and made her leave of him. Zakuya watched her hobble down the path from his home.
He knew that she loved Kenji, but Zakuya loved her as well. He would not let the boy hurt her again. “Kon Kusari Kage Bunshin no Jutsu.(Linking Soul Shadow Clone.)” A clone appeared beside him in a swirl of smoke and he felt himself change. The new Zakuya maintained his watch as Chidori grew smaller in his sight. The former leaned over against the wall, and made a slow retreat to his bedchambers. No words were exchanged between the two Zakuyas; they both shared the same mind.
Chidori turned a corner and disappeared from sight. Jashin Zakuya felt the intention to protect rise within him. He left his home and followed his student.

Evening had come; it had grown dark out. Each step Chidori took sent a jolt of pain up her left leg. She allowed herself to show pain on her face; no one was around to see. The students were mostly in the medical ward and the sensei were all occupied with a meeting.
Her slow steps brought her out from the central Hangyukunin grounds and up to a rocky slope. Looking up at its peak, she saw a clearing, devoid of trees or plantlife. It was high above her head, a steep climb.
In the growing darkness, she began to scale the rough cliff, one small step at a time. Pain punished her for overusing her body; she was still weak from her wounds. Damn. I’m not strong enough for this right now. Zakuya-sama told me only to use this in an emergency, but…
“First gate, open.” A sudden burst of energy filled her body. It was her own energy producing the strength, she knew, and it had potentially damaging effects. She hurried up the cliff face in leaps and bounds, shortening the time needed to keep the gate open. Her ascent to the peak was swift. She relaxed, and allowed the gate to close.
The dark clearing offered a full view of the stars above. The sun was almost set and a deep, dark blue and black took over the sky. It was the same colour as their hair, she realized.
Kenji sat before her, staring up at the appearing stars. His hair was the same darkness as the far end of the sky. Above their heads was a strong, deep blue; it matched her locks perfectly. Soon the sky would change, and there would be only black. She called to him.
“Kenji.” He looked over his shoulder and met her eyes. Even in the dark, she could see the sullen expression on his face.
“Hey...sis.”
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=4973