An Heir for an Heir by x_fish
Summary: Hyuuga Hanabi is now Head of the Hyuuga family, but has no heir. Hinata has moved out of the estate, to live with Naruto and her daughter, and is not eligible to prodouce an heir. Neji's daughter Hatsumi is appointed as heir, having no other choice. Ryukku, is jelous of his younger sister, Hatsumi, and everyone knows it. He was born first, yet he is cursed, while Hatsumi, born last, is granted a possible future. One day, Hanabi is found dead, having been brutally murdered. All clues seem to point to Hatsumi as the killer, although she denies it all. Can she prove herself innocent before the ANBU conclude their final decision?
Categories: General Fiction > Post-Naruto Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6639 Read: 4038 Published: 29/12/06 Updated: 24/03/07

1. Chapter 1 - The Heir of Hanabi by x_fish

2. Chapter 2 - "She's Dead." by x_fish

3. Chapter 3 - "Guilty!" by x_fish

4. Chapter 4 - "Who's the Killer?" by x_fish

Chapter 1 - The Heir of Hanabi by x_fish
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer. Characters, settings, and places from 'Naruto' do not belong to me. Although, my OC's do.

My first fanfic, hope ya enjoy. :]

First chapter's a bit short, but I'll try to make the others longer. ^^;;
Chapter 1 - The Heir of Hanabi


Two young children stood to the side of the tall Hyuuga Jounin, all three with pale eyes. The first, to the left, was a young boy, around the age of 6. He had on a plain, traditional type kimono, and was trying to look older, by jutting out his chin and standing up as straight as he could. There was a bandage wrapped around his forehead, covering it entirely. Short, dark hair hung loosely, sticking out in places. To the man’s right was a shy looking girl, in a flowered kimono. Her pupil-less eyes seemed to advert from everyone’s gaze and stare intently at the ground. Her small hands were gripping tightly to the Jounin’s hand, and slowly scooting behind him. Dark, brunette locks were braided and wrapped into two high buns at the top of her head, and finished off by a red ribbon.

“Hyuuga Hanabi-sama, entering,” a voice said, as faint footsteps could be heard. All the people in the room knelt down and bowed their heads, in a show of great respect.

“You may come up,” a kind voice said, causing the people to slowly stand back up. All their eyes were now on the woman standing in the front of the room. She had long dark hair, and wore a plain, navy kimono. Her eyes were pale, such as everyone else in the room, but hers looked weary, and tired.

“Hanabi-sama, you are to decide on an heir today,” an older looking ninja said, who still had his head bowed.

“Yes. Of course,” Hanabi agreed, and walked forward to the Jounin who had the two children with him.

“Neji-san, may I?” she asked, gesturing to the two.

The man nodded and took a step back, while pushing the two forward gently, but firmly. The boy tried as hard as he could not to stumble and keep his position, but the girl immediately shrunk about three inches as she tried not to make eye contact. Hanabi chuckled lightly before looking over both children. They both were eligible, yet, there was something that kept her from choosing the boy, and everyone knew why. She straightened up and gently put her hand on the girl’s shoulder.

“Hatsumi will be my heir, to become Head of the Hyuuga Clan.”

And with that, two people escorted Hanabi out of the room, causing another bow from the others. Soon, after a lot of bustling and shuffling, the man and the children were the only ones left. Immediately, the girl rushed over to him, stumbling over her wooden sandals, and grasped his pants. The boy walked over to him, confusion in his eyes.

“Daddy, what’s an…’heir?’”

Neji chuckled before answering. “An heir is like someone who will take over your job when you’re gone. Like a hime.”

“Oh. Then what did Hanabi-sama mean when Hatsumi-chan was now her heir?”

Neji was silent for a moment, before reaching out and messing up his son’s hair. “You’ll find out when you get older, Ryukku.” He paused to pick up both son and daughter. “Now, let’s get you two over to your mom, and have dinner.”

“Yeah! Dinner! Dinner!” Ryukku chanted, squirming, which caused Neji to almost drop him.

In the dining room where the table was already set with dinner, a young woman was kneeling down at the table, placing out the bowls with rice. Soon, the whole family was seated and eating, chattering about like a family should. Tenten, the mother, was having a bit of trouble having Ryukku sit still for his dinner, as he was too excited for his first day at the academy tomorrow.

“Momma, I’ll be the first in the class! I’ll ace all the tests, and master my chakra, and learn all the jutsus in the world!” Ryukku bragged, waving his spoon in the air.

Tenten chuckled and put the spoon back on the table. “Of course you will, Ryukku. But remember, you’ll have to train hard, as well as study.”

Ryukku huffed and crossed his arms. “I don’t need to study. I can do it all on my own without studying,” he boasted.

While Tenten was trying to correct Ryukku, Hatsumi had been busy trying to catch Neji’s attention. “O-Otou-san?”

“Yes, Hatsumi?” Neji asked calmly.

“If I’m Hanabi-sama’s heir, does that mean I’ll be strong like her too?”

Neji smiled and put his hand on his daughter’s head. “Of course you will - if you want to, that is.”

Hatsumi smiled brightly at Neji before turning back to her dinner.

- - -


Twelve years had passed since then quite quickly. Ryukku had failed his first year in the academy, and was placed in the class with his sister and other kids a year younger than him. From there, they had graduated to their Genin teams, where they undertook missions with a Jounin teacher. After graduating to a Chunin level, their lives changes greatly, from a newbie to a middle classed ninja, where they took on harder and harder missions. The siblings took the Jounin exams twice before passing it on the second try.

But in addition to all that, they were busy even at home, mastering their Byakuugan and other Hyuuga moves and jutsus. Day after day, sleep seemed to come easier, with all that hard training. Even Tenten tried to train them harder with her style of fighting, although Hatsumi was the only one who actually tried to learn. Ryukku had thought that the Hyuuga moves he knew were enough, no matter how many times Neji, Tenten, or Hatsumi tried to tell him otherwise. But unlike Hatsumi, he had a lot of stamina and strength, as well as super speed, which gave him the upper hand in close range combat.

Being the successor to Hanabi, Hatsumi had to take time off and spend it with the Head, learning about various things, discussing many things. At first, she was only bringing tea to Hanabi, with a brief acknowledgement. Then, she was invited to spar, then later, talk and have tea together. Being a bit sensitive herself, Hatsumi had noticed a twang of jealousy whenever she mentioned the position of being heir around Ryukku. To be honest, she felt very sorry, but it wasn’t exactly her fault that he had gotten the cursed seal and not her. At least, not really.

“Hatsumi!”

“H-Hai, Hanabi-sama.” Hatsumi had been trailing off in her thoughts, missing most of what Hanabi had said.

“I said, ‘How is your family doing?” Hanabi said with a small smile.

“Oh. Well, Kaa-san and Otou-san are doing fine. They’re out on a mission today, but should be home soon. And Ryukku has a small cold, but he’s out training with his friends. At least, that’s what he told me.”

Hanabi raised an eyebrow. “You have to be certain. As a leader, you need to be sure of everything, or sound like you are, so no one doubts you.”

“W-wakarimasu, Hanabi-sama.” Hatsumi said, bowing her head in apology. She had heard that lecture more than enough times, but always ended up hearing it again and again.

“Now, Hatsumi, I think it’s about time for tea. Why don’t you go get it, and I’ll be waiting here,” Hanabi suggested, smiling. She understood Hatsumi’s uncertainty. After all, she had gone through it before.

“Hai, Hanabi-sama.” Hatsumi stood up and bowed from her waist, before turning back towards the main house. Quickly, she shuffled over to the kitchen, where everything was set out for her to get the tea. The kettle was boiling with hot water already, and smoke was whistling from the spout. Carefully, Hatsumi poured the water into the two china cups, where tea bags rested in each one. Using a small metal spoon, she gently stirred the water, causing it to turn a slightly murky color. Putting the cups on a tray, Hatsumi picked it up and cautiously carried the steaming cups back to where Hanabi was waiting.

Gently, Hatsumi placed the tray next to the Hyuuga Head, keeping her head low in respect. Then she sat down next to the tray, placing it between the two Hyuugas.

Only once Hanabi took a drink from the cup, did Hatsumi take one for herself. Silence followed for a while, the only sound of china on china, and the soft slurping.

“Hatsumi.”

“H-hai, Hanabi-sama,” she answered, a bit unnerved from the sudden conversation.

“Do you think I made the right choice, choosing you instead of your elder brother, Ryukku?”

Hatsumi thought carefully before answering, “I’m afraid I can’t answer that, Hanabi-sama. We would know the answer to that question, only once we’ve seen Ryukku in the position I am in.”

Hanabi chuckled lightly. She was about to say something, when someone interrupted.

“Hanabi-sama, the Godaime Hokage would like to talk to you,” a slightly muffled voice said. It was an Anbu with a cat-like mask covering their face. Hanabi only sighed in answer.

“Hatsumi, looks like we’ll have to cut today’s session short.” And with a nod, Hanabi and the ANBU disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Hatsumi stayed where she was for a little while before standing up and picking up the tray. Silently, she made her way to the kitchen, where she placed the half-empty teacups on the counter. Feeling guilty for just leaving the cups there, Hatsumi quietly left the kitche and went to the room where her family relaxed; sort of like a living room, but for just her family. Ryukku was there, lying down on his back, casually twirling a kunai with a finger.

“Hey, Hatsumi,” he said, when he noticed her. He sat up, and tucked the kunai back into his pouch. “You’re early.”

“Hanabi-sama was called by the Godaime. Are Kaa-san and Otou-san still gone?”

“Un.” Ryukku stood up and stretched. “Hey, do you want to spar? I have nothing else do to.”

“Hai,” Hatsumi nodded enthusiastically. “I’ll beat you this time, Onii-chan."
Chapter 2 - "She's Dead." by x_fish
Author's Notes:
-ahem-
As it turned out, my mind went blank halfway through the chapter and it was cut short. Again.
Gomen nasai. ^^;;
An Heir for an Heir

From the last chapter:

“Hey, Hatsumi,” he said, when he noticed her. He sat up, and tucked the kunai back into his pouch. “You’re early.”

“Hanabi-sama was called by the Godaime. Are Kaa-san and Otou-san still gone?”

“Un.” Ryukku stood up and stretched. “Hey, do you want to spar? I have nothing else do to.”

“Hai,” Hatsumi nodded enthusiastically. “I’ll beat you this time, Onii-chan.”


Chapter 2 - "She's Dead"

The two siblings huffed, each getting tired with each passing moment. The spar had lasted longer than they each thought, and were waiting to see who gave up first. Another metallic clang sounded in the air, as two kunais clashed. After pressing harder, Hatsumi jumped back, almost slipping in the moist grass. They were sparring next to the lake, and the sun was getting closer to setting.

Once more, Hatsumi jumped back as she felt a light touch on her left arm. Her brother had quick speed, something she needed to watch out for, and if he had been better at his ‘Juken’, her arm might’ve been disabled. She jumped up, high into the air, and unrolled a scroll from her belt. After unrolling it to its fullest extent, Hatsumi tapped a seal, and a weapon appeared in her hand in a small puff of smoke. Grabbing it tightly, she threw it at her brother. Over an over again, until the air was littered with kunais, scythes, needles, shurikens, and knives, all heading their way over to Ryukku.

“Hakkushou Kaiten!” Ryukku cried. He turned around quickly, unleashing a spherical wall of chakra at the same time. The weapons were thrown back, and landed uselessly onto the ground. Then, while Hatsumi was still in the air, falling down, he jumped up to meet her mid-air. They exchanged a flurry of kicks and hits, showing their taijutsu skills. Ryukku managed to find an opening and make contact with Hatsumi, which caused her to fly backwards.

Falling fast, Hatsumi brought her arms closer to her body and her head up, as to land on the ground with her back. She slid back a while before she stopped, standing up. Now her whole back was wet. Oh, joy. Wincing, Hatsumi tried to ignore the wet cloth sticking to her back, sending cold shivers up and down her spine. She glared daggers at her brother, who shrugged apologetically. Once more, she ran forward to attack her brother, kunai in hand.

Another metallic clang rang in the air, as Ryukku defended her attack. Using all his arm strength, he pushed her backwards. Unfortunately, the wet grass seemed to hate Hatsumi today, and it slid her back, making her loose balance and eventually, fall into the lake.

Coughing, she kicked her way up to the surface of the lake, where she took a deep breath and narrowed her eyes at her brother, who was dry. At his small apologetic smile, she had to sigh and wade over to the shore. With wet squelches, she walked up to where Ryukku was. Water dripped from everywhere, getting in her eyes, and puddling up at the ground around her feet.

“Uh…G-gomen..?” Ryukku said uncertainly as he smiled sheepishly.

Hatsumi was quiet for a while before smiling mischeviously. Slowly, Ryukku started backing away. “What are you thinking, Hatsumi?” he asked cautiously.

Instead of answering, she trapped him in a tight hug, which made him stiffen up. “H-hey! Don’t do that! I don’t want to get wet!” He tried to pry her arms from his shoulder and push her away, but it only made her hug him tighter.

Groaning, Ryukku went limp, giving up. “Alright, alright. Gomen nasai. But you didn’t have to get me wet, too.”

Hatsumi backed away, smirking. But she didn’t say anything, as she made her way home. It would probably get her another lecture, coming home wet like this. But she could always blame Ryukku. At a small, added weight on her shoulders, and a shift in the wind to her left, she knew he was now walking with her.

It was strange, to see the younger Hyuuga be so friendly with someone, as she was quiet and shy most of the times. The only ones who saw her talkative side was her family, mainly Ryukku. The two were unusually close, even for siblings. They were the ones who comforted and took care of one another while their parents were away on missions that took days, weeks, and sometimes even months.

The Hyuuga siblings reached home quite quickly, as Hatsumi wanted to get dry. Walking inside the room, Ryukku called out, “Tadaima!”

“Why did you say that? You know no one’s home,” Hatsumi said, gently rubbing her left ear.

“Yeah, but you never know,” Ryukku whispered knowingly. And sure enough, a cheery voice answered, “Okaeri!” A sliding door opened and revealed Tenten, who had a smile plastered onto her face. Neji was standing behind her, keeping a straight face.

“Okaa-san! Otou-san!” Hatsumi rushed forward to envelope Tenten in a hug. Tenten smiled and gently pat her back, although she winced slightly at the sudden wetness. “Oh. S-sumimasen.” Hatsumi backed off, smiling sheepishly. After giving a quick hug to her father, she rushed over to the bathroom, and the sound of running water could soon be heard.

“Ryukku, what happened to Hatsumi?” Tenten asked, a suspicious look on her face.

“We were sparring, then she slipped and fell into the lake.” Ryukku pointedly left out the fact that he was the one who pushed her.

“Are you sure that’s all?” Neji asked, raising an eyebrow. He stared at Ryukku, searching his eyes for…something.

“Ee.” Ryukku met his father’s eyes with his own. To be honest, this wasn’t the first time he had left something out of the truth. He had practice.

“Itadakimasu,” everyone said in unison, chopsticks poised over their food.

“Hatsumi, you must’ve gotten through your training with Hanabi-sama pretty quickly to be able to spar with Ryukku.”

“Oh. Uhm, Hanabi-sama was called by the Godaime. We had to cut the session short.” Hatsumi said this a little sheepishly, as if it was her fault the session was cut short.

“I wonder what she was called for,” Ryukku said through a mouthful of rice and fish.

He was ignored as Neji and Tenten exchanged glances. It seemed they knew what Hanabi was called for.

“Oyasuminasai, Okaa-san, Otou-san.”

Three sliding doors closed shut, and soon after, the lights were dimmed, then gone.

- - -


“Oh my God!”

“I can’t believe this happened!”

“Someone inform the Godaime!”

Shouts, screams, and the endless thudding of footsteps rushing woke Hatsumi up. Something was wrong. She could feel it creep up the back of her neck. Immediately, she sat up from her futon, kicking away the thick blanket. Putting on a thick jacket, she opened the door that led outside. Looking around, she saw Ryukku do the same from his room. “What happened?” she mouthed, knowing he wouldn’t be able to hear her from the background noise.

Ryukku shrugged in response and Hatsumi could see her confusion and puzzlement mirrored in his eyes.

Hatsumi stepped back and closed the door. She made her way to her parent’s room, only to find that their futon was empty, aside from the kicked blanket and pillows. Gulping down the fear that was crawling up her throat, she rushed outside. She grabbed the arm of a small child who was running, and pulled him to the wall, hearing the small thump and their back made contact.

“Calm down. It’s me,” she said in a calm voice, trying to lower the obvious panic in the younger’s eyes. At the small nod she was given, she asked, “What’s going on? What happened?”

The other Hyuuga managed to choke out between sobs, “They found her… Hanabi-sama… She’s…She’s… She’s dead.” The last word was whispered, and Hatsumi had to almost strain to hear. When the truth struck her, she gasped and let the small boy go.

Blinking back tears, she ran. Just ran. Willing her legs to take her away. But no. Instead, she found herself in front of Hanabi-sama’s room, wondering why.

The door to her room was closed, sealed off. Someone must have closed it after seeing…the body. There were splatters of dark shadow against the paper-like door. Blood. The beautiful, yet terrible liquid that fueled one’s body. It seeped through the cracks under the door and between the wall. It tracked in small footprint like shapes out the door and onto the lawn, where it soon disappeared. Three Anbu were grouped together off to one side, discussing.

Hatsumi barely noticed when one of them came up to her and put a hand on her shoulder. “Would you like to go inside, Hatsumi-san?”

Hatsumi stayed still for a while, stunned, frozen. Then, regaining herself, she nodded. She let herself be led closer to the door, which was soon opened. At the sight, Hatsumi let out another gasp and brought her hand to her mouth.

The sight… It was…horrible. Hanabi lay sprawled, as if she had let out a struggle, on the cold, blood soaked, wooden floor. Her pale eyes were open, unseeing. They were like glass, and stuck in a forever notion of surprise. From her thin body protruded many things: knives, shurikens, kunais, scythes, senbons, needles, dirks, and other sharp, deadly objects. And the color scarlet. It was everywhere. On the walls, the floor, stained on her night clothes, and skin.

This wasn't right. Whoever did this was going to pay.
Chapter 3 - "Guilty!" by x_fish
Author's Notes:
Since School is going to start again soon, so the updates will come slower...
I apologize in advance.

Spoiler warning. I don't really know for what chapter or episode, and once again, I am sorry.
n-n;;
An Heir for and Heir

From the last chapter:

Hatsumi stayed still for a while, stunned, frozen. But she proved she was still alive by nodding. She let herself be led closer to the door, which was soon opened. At the sight, Hatsumi let out another gasp and brought her hand to her mouth.

The sight… It was…horrible. Hanabi lay sprawled, as if she had let out a struggle, on the cold, blood soaked floor. Her pale eyes were open, unseeing. They were like glass, and stuck in a forever notion of surprise. From her thin body protruded many things: knives, shurikens, kunais, scythes, senbons, needles, dirks, and other sharp, deadly objects. And the color scarlet. It was everywhere. On the walls, the floor, stained on her nightclothes, and skin.

This wasn’t right. Whoever did this was going to pay.

Chapter 3 - "Guilty!"

For the first time in years, Hatsumi was very upset. Very, very angry. And everyone knew it. Pacing back and forth in her room, her family could hear her light footsteps and low mumbling. Neji, Tenten and Ryukku were having afternoon tea in the family room, growing worried by every passing minute. Although, Neji didn't show it.

"N-Neji. How long do you think...?" Tenten asked hesitantly, looking back at the sliding door leading to Hatsumi's room.
Neji sipped silently from his cup before putting it down. "She'll come out when she feels up for it."

There was a clatter as Ryukku stood up abruptly. His cup fell onto the tatami covered ground and rolled, fortunately empty.

"Ryukku!" Tenten said, staring at her son.
"I'm going to talk to her," he said, before starting for her room. Suddenly he found Neji in front of him, blocking the way. "She will come out when she feels up for it," Neji repeated, firmly this time.

Ryukku opened his mouth to speak, but closed it. He sat back down, mumbling, and with an angry clunk, he placed the cup back on the table.

- - -


Days passed, the crime searched backward and forward by the Anbu. The ceremony, when Hatsumi becomes head of the Hyuuga family was postponed until her 18th birthday, which was in a month, and Hiashi-sama graciously took the position until then, as he was Hanabi's father. Was. He, himself, wasn't taking this very well either. As the father, he still felt some responsibility as a parent, while grieving as every other Hyuuga, and some of the other nin.
Hatsumi had gotten over her emotional phase, in so, getting more distant. Ryukku was now the only one who could get a word from her, as she locked herself up in her room everyday. The Hyuugas weren't granted missions or permission to leave Konohagakure's surroundings, as anyone who was around the premises was eligible to have attacked Hanabi.

"Hatsumi? A-are you in there?" Ryukku asked, standing in front of her room.

The sliding doors opened to reveal the future Hyuuga head. Although, at the moment, she didn't look much of a leader. Her pale eyes showed no emotion, whatsoever, although the weariness and sorrow were too evident to be hidden away or covered, and they had faint bags under them. "Hm?"

Ryukku stumbled back, not used to this new Hatsumi. He was used to her as being more...bright. And bubbly, no matter how shy. "Um, there's someone waiting for you outside. He said it's…urgent."

Still silent, Hatsumi nodded before letting herself be led outside. There was an Anbu waiting, wearing a mask, as always, to conceal their features. "Hatsumi-sama, the Godaime would like to see you." His voice seemed...different. More colder.

Thankful that she hadn't changed, and was still in her active clothes, Hatsumi nodded.

"Please. Follow me." And with that, the Anbu started for the big mansion under the Hokage mountain.

Ryukku raised an eyebrow. This was unusual. They normally just left with a poof, leaving the other to make their own way to wherever the destination was. He watched silently as his sister obediently followed the Anbu, itching to follow and listen in to the conversation with the Godaime.

The two ninja arrived quickly, and was led even more quickly through the halls and to the Hokage's office. Apparently, this was very important. Hatsumi soon found herself in the small, yet spacey office, face to face with the blonde Hokage.

Tsunade-sama was older than she looked, although sometimes her personality was much younger. She was one of the members of Konoha's legendary Sannin. Was. Ever since Orochimaru had left Konohagakure, and proved himself evil, the Sannin was down to two members. And you can't be Sannin with only two members.
Anyways, Tsunade-sama was a medic-nin, and an elite, at that. Shizune, one of her pupils, was now an Anbu, and Haruno Sakura, another of her apprentices, was part of the Konoha hospital, although she took missions every now and then. Currently, the Godaime was sitting at her desk, obviously in deep thought. When Hatsumi walked in, she looked the Hyuuga up and down, brow knit tightly together.

"Hatsumi, I don't suppose you know why you're here, do you?" Tsunade's voice was soft, yet accusing.

'Probably about the death of Hanabi-sama,' Hatsumi thought. "Iie, Tsunade-sama."

"Well, this is just to warn you - and inform you - for the council of Hanabi-san's death."

'Warn? Why warn?'

"You know of that, of course."

Hatsumi looked down at the ground, away from Tsunade's piercing hazel eyes.

Tsunade raised a sleek, blonde eyebrow. "I hope to see you tomorrow. Dismissed."

Hatsumi looked up to see that the Godaime had focused her attention back on the piles of paperwork on the desk. Biting back the lists of questions forming at the back of her mind, she nodded curtly and walked out, where another Anbu was waiting to escort her home. Apparently, there was something going on that she didn't know about, but was soon going to find out.

"Hatsumi! Hey. What did Tsunade-sama want?" Ryukku asked, the moment she was home.

"The council meeting tomorrow," Hatsumi looked down, adverting from Ryukku's eyes, which were able to search out emotions and thoughts by using the position of the eyes.

"That's it? Well, that was a waste of time. Everybody knows about that." Ryukku smiled and put one arm around Hatsumi's shoulders.

"Yeah..." Hatsumi shook away from Ryukku's arm and quickened her pace, leaving a hurt looking Ryukku, and soon disappearing in her room. Again. In there, she mulled over her thoughts, trying to figure out what Tsunade-sama had meant by 'warn.'

- - -


"Everybody, I welcome you to the council meeting today." The Godaime's loud voice carried around the room, capturing everyone's attention. "You all know why you are here, of course, but I will mention it again. We are here to find out the killer of Hyuuga Hanabi."

A few shushed whispers were exchanged in the room. The room itself wasn't so big either, as this was a small and private case. The entire Hyuuga family - aside the children - were here, as well as Anbu members, and close friends of Hanabi. There were many familiar faces: Hinata, Hiashi, Neji, Konohamaru, Hatsumi, Ryukku, and many, many others.

"To begin, I will ask any witnesses - if there are any - to stand up now. Or give your words to me in privacy, during the break."

No one stood up.

"Well then, now we will hear from the Anbu, who have been investigating this for a while." At her nod, three Anbu immediately stood up, serious and business-like.

"The Hyuuga case was hard, but not impossible. There were many clues left behind, meaning that the killer was an amateur, or very, very clever. Using the chakra imprints of the people who were in the estate at the time, and comparing it to the ones left by the murderer, Uchiha was able to narrow the suspects down considerably.

There were also other clues to take: the bloody footprints, the use of weapons, and some articles of attire, for instance. The footprints were washed out by the wet grass, but seemed to be heading towards the West wing, concluding that the criminal is indeed, a Hyuuga.”

A few members of the Hyuuga family tensed, and their pale eyes narrowed. How dare they accuse one of them?

The first few hours of the council went by slowly, everyone giving summaries and evidance. A medic-nin told the crowd that Hanabi-sama was apparently drugged, leading to the easy kill. The medic-nin also informed them of the fact that Hanabi-sama was not killed by the weapons, but instead, a mass use of the Juuken, the Gentle Fist. A move only used by Hyuugas. Apparently, her chakra vessels were cut off, leading her inability to fight back.

“Everybody may now take a break for half an hour, while I talk with the Anbu and medical ninja,” the Godaime said, standing up from where she was sitting. The crowd was silent until they stepped out of the room, and even then, they only exchanged whispers. Trying to guess who was the criminal, while others said hushed threats for the killer.

“Hatsumi, how are you feeling?” Ryukku asked, sliding down next to her. She was still seated in the room, staring down at her hands.

“They’re always looking at me. I can feel it,” she whispered, tensing up a little.

Ryukku was about to put his arm around her again, but remembered what happened last time, and stopped. “Well, I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation. They can’t just stare at you for no reason.”

“No, Ryukku…They’re accusing me. They think I… I…That I killed Hanabi-sama…” Her voice rose, then quieted to a whisper. She looked up, straight into her brother’s eyes. “Onii-chan…What do I do?”

Ryukku blinked slowly. She hadn't called him that in a long time. He gently reached out a hand and placed it on her knee. “Don’t worry. We’ll figure out a way. Just remember not to lose yourself.”

Hatsumi smiled thankfully, before looking back down at her hands. A bit abruptly, Ryukku removed his hand, nervously fiddling with a loose string on his shirt. Tension was in the air between the two, until the Godaime called everyone back. Hurriedly, the crowd shuffled back to their seats, although there was a bit of confusion.

Tsunade-sama waited for everyone to quiet down before speaking. “After speaking with the Anbu, we have come to a conclusion, for who the killer is.”

Ryukku noticed Hatsumi clench her hands into fists.

“Hyuuga Hatsumi, will you please stand up,” Tsunade-sama ordered, rather than asked.

Protests arose, especially from around the Hyuuga family. Hatsumi was now the head of their family. She couldn’t be taken away. Hatsumi was a good child, she wouldn’t kill Hanabi-sama.

Blinking back tears, Hatsumi stood up, trying not to think about the surprised and disappointed looks from her parents. Taking deep breaths, she looked up, straight into the cold hazel irises of the Fifth Hokage.

“Hyuuga Hatsumi, we find you guilty for the killing of Hyuuga Hanabi.”
Chapter 4 - "Who's the Killer?" by x_fish
Author's Notes:
Came out shorter than I had wanted.
Oh well.

Oh, and sorry it took so long. n-n;;
An Heir for an Heir

From the last chapter:

“Hyuuga Hatsumi, will you please stand up,” Tsunade-sama ordered, rather than asked.

Protests arose, especially from around the Hyuuga family. Hatsumi was now the head of their family. She couldn’t be taken away. Hatsumi was a good child, she wouldn’t kill Hanabi-sama.

Blinking back tears, Hatsumi stood up, trying not to think about the surprised and disappointed looks from her parents. Taking deep breaths, she looked up, straight into the cold hazel irises of the Fifth Hokage.

“Hyuuga Hatsumi, we find you guilty for the killing of Hyuuga Hanabi.”


Chapter 4 - "Who's the killer?"

The silence in the room was deafening. The piercing stare of eyes, Hyuuga and not, were unbearable. The tension, the unbelief… The respect for their future head seemed to waver. The love they had felt for the young woman seemed to decrease by the second. And yet, Hatsumi stood through it all, with a straight face. Her eyes stared at the Godaime, meeting her stare.

“The clues that were left, all seem to point in your direction. The foot size, where they were headed, the poison in the tea, and the numerous amount of kunai, scythes…Hatsumi, do you have anything to say for yourself?” Tsunade asked, an almost sorry tone in her voice.

“Only to say that I am innocent, Tsunade-sama,” she said. “But I would like to ask you of one thing. Just one request.”

Tsunade raised an eyebrow. “And that is…?”

“To have one last chance to prove myself right. I would like a month to show that you have accused me wrong. And by then, if I am unable, I will go with the Anbu and take any punishment you see fit and obey any commands.” The last sentence got a small gasp from her family. Tenten reached over to hold her hand.

“You don’t have to do this,” she whispered, but all she got was a small shake of the head as an answer. With a sigh, the kunoichi drew back, looking at her daughter with a small pain at her chest.

Tsunade raised a sleek, blonde eyebrow, truly surprised by Hatsumi’s little speech. Honestly, she didn’t want to execute the young Hyuuga, she had potential to be a great leader to the clan, and had a positive future. After a silent moment of thought, not bothering to talk to the Anbu, she agreed to Hatsumi’s deal. A month to prove herself innocent, and if she was unable, well, it wouldn’t be nice.

“The council is over. We will meet again, same day, same time of next month,” the Godaime said, and almost immediately, the level of tension in the room lowered. Some stared warily at Hatsumi as they walked out, who had slumped down into her chair, breathing heavily. Soon, only she and her family was left, whom were desperately trying to comfort her.

“Hatsumi-chan, it’ll be alright. We know you’ll find the real culprit.”

“Chin up. We can’t have you sulking even longer.”

“Hatsumi, let’s go home, and we can try to solve it together.”

The accused Hyuuga shook her head. “No. It’s my problem, and I won’t have you three dragged into this.” She stood up, and to everyone’s surprise, her face was tear-free. “I think I’ll go for a walk,” she muttered and gently nudged her way past everyone and out the council room. People in the hallway stared at her fearfully, as if she would jump forward and kill them all.

Hatsumi walked through the large Hokage building, bearing the accusing stares of everyone. Or, almost everyone.

“Hatsumi-san!” she heard a voice cry out. “Johtto Matte!” She was about to ignore whoever it was that had called her name, but how could she, when they had asked her to wait? She didn’t answer, but only turned around, but was surprised to see Hyuuga Hinata-sama walking towards her.

“Wh-what is it, Hinata-sama?” she asked, surprised Hinata would be willing to talk to her, the one who was accused of killing her sister.

Hinata slowed down and gently placed a hand on Hatsumi’s shoulder. “I’m sure you aren’t the killer,” she said with a small smile. “Someone like you couldn’t be.” And with that and a curt nod, Hinata walked back over to where Naruto, her husband, and her daughter was. Hatsumi looked at Hinata as she walked back. It wasn’t that she knew Hinata was lying, or something, but there had been something in Hinata’s pale eyes. Doubt, uncertainty, and maybe a bit of sadness as well. With a small sigh, she started back to the Hyuuga manor.
---

Hatsumi stood, staring at the cherry blossom petals fall from the tree, frowning slightly. In her mind she shifted through everything that had happened in the council room. It just didn’t make sense. If someone had wanted to murder Hanabi-sama, why did they have to point all their clues towards her? Or was the killer a real amateur? And if so, what was their point of murdering the Head? The mass of questions that suddenly started pouring out from the back of her mind overwhelmed her.

“So this is what Hanabi-sama felt everyday, trying to decide what to do…” she muttered, sitting down. Her pale eyes widened when she remembered the part-time job she had in the hospital. With a sigh, she stood up, raising a hand to block the sun’s harsh glare. She should be going and asking Sakura-san about that.

Half and hour, or so later, Hatsumi found herself talking to the pink-haired medic nin, rather easily that she had thought. Haruno Sakura, who had been apprenticed to the Hokage years ago, was now one of Konoha’s finest medics, and Hatsumi was glad to be able to have a part-time job here, when she wasn’t training or out on a mission. She had no interest in becoming a medic nin, no, her chakra control was much too reckless for that – how ironic, with her being a Hyuuga and all – but loved to help out, especially the small children.

At the moment, Sakura was walking down the hallway, clipboard in hand, doing a regular checkup on the patience that were in the rooms. Hatsumi was almost jogging as she tried to keep up with Sakura’s pace, and it was even a surprise to her that she was able to find enough breath to talk.

“Sakura-san, I understand if you don’t want me working here, as I’m sure you heard about the council meeting.”

“Hatsumi-chan, what are you talking about? Of course I still want you here. I doubt you are the killer, as no murderer would be able to handle children like that.”

“But I—“

“No buts. You are working here and there’ll be no more about it.”

Hatsumi stopped walking, and let Sakura pass her. She actually didn’t mind?

“I expect you to be here tomorrow as well,” she called back.

“A-Arigatou, Sakura-san!” Hatsumi called, a small, relieved smile on her face. At least now she knew she had someone who believed in her. Other than her family of course; it would be pretty strange if her family didn’t believe in her.
---

”Poison, Juken, Cloth, Tracks, Size, Direction…” Hatsumi muttered, writing them down on a piece of paper titled ‘Clues.’ “Chakra imprint, weapons…” She had to find the true killer, and had a month to do so. There was a lot to do in that time. Even she wondered if she would be able to. But she had to. There couldn’t be any doubt about it. She had to prove herself innocent, and show that she was a good choice for a leader.

When she was done writing down the list of clues that the Anbu had mentioned, Hatsumi got a fresh sheet of paper and labeled it ‘Suspects.’ This was going to be a little harder. She bit her lip and tried to figure out who was to be put on this list, and who was not. If someone used the Juken, the Gentle Fist, then that person had to be a Hyuuga. Or someone very close to one. The footprints had apparently headed towards the West wing, where her family lived. But that could mean anything – they might’ve just been trying to frame her. With a furrowed brow, Hatsumi went over the clues list again. When she got down to Chakra imprint, her mind started whirring.

For someone, anyone, to leave the similar chakra imprint as her, that meant the murderer had to be someone from her close family.

That meant…either Neji, Tenten, or Ryukku were the killer.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=2810