TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


An Heir for an Heir by x_fish

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer. Characters, settings, and places from 'Naruto' do not belong to me. Although, my OC's do.

My first fanfic, hope ya enjoy. :]

First chapter's a bit short, but I'll try to make the others longer. ^^;;
Chapter 1 - The Heir of Hanabi


Two young children stood to the side of the tall Hyuuga Jounin, all three with pale eyes. The first, to the left, was a young boy, around the age of 6. He had on a plain, traditional type kimono, and was trying to look older, by jutting out his chin and standing up as straight as he could. There was a bandage wrapped around his forehead, covering it entirely. Short, dark hair hung loosely, sticking out in places. To the man’s right was a shy looking girl, in a flowered kimono. Her pupil-less eyes seemed to advert from everyone’s gaze and stare intently at the ground. Her small hands were gripping tightly to the Jounin’s hand, and slowly scooting behind him. Dark, brunette locks were braided and wrapped into two high buns at the top of her head, and finished off by a red ribbon.

“Hyuuga Hanabi-sama, entering,” a voice said, as faint footsteps could be heard. All the people in the room knelt down and bowed their heads, in a show of great respect.

“You may come up,” a kind voice said, causing the people to slowly stand back up. All their eyes were now on the woman standing in the front of the room. She had long dark hair, and wore a plain, navy kimono. Her eyes were pale, such as everyone else in the room, but hers looked weary, and tired.

“Hanabi-sama, you are to decide on an heir today,” an older looking ninja said, who still had his head bowed.

“Yes. Of course,” Hanabi agreed, and walked forward to the Jounin who had the two children with him.

“Neji-san, may I?” she asked, gesturing to the two.

The man nodded and took a step back, while pushing the two forward gently, but firmly. The boy tried as hard as he could not to stumble and keep his position, but the girl immediately shrunk about three inches as she tried not to make eye contact. Hanabi chuckled lightly before looking over both children. They both were eligible, yet, there was something that kept her from choosing the boy, and everyone knew why. She straightened up and gently put her hand on the girl’s shoulder.

“Hatsumi will be my heir, to become Head of the Hyuuga Clan.”

And with that, two people escorted Hanabi out of the room, causing another bow from the others. Soon, after a lot of bustling and shuffling, the man and the children were the only ones left. Immediately, the girl rushed over to him, stumbling over her wooden sandals, and grasped his pants. The boy walked over to him, confusion in his eyes.

“Daddy, what’s an…’heir?’”

Neji chuckled before answering. “An heir is like someone who will take over your job when you’re gone. Like a hime.”

“Oh. Then what did Hanabi-sama mean when Hatsumi-chan was now her heir?”

Neji was silent for a moment, before reaching out and messing up his son’s hair. “You’ll find out when you get older, Ryukku.” He paused to pick up both son and daughter. “Now, let’s get you two over to your mom, and have dinner.”

“Yeah! Dinner! Dinner!” Ryukku chanted, squirming, which caused Neji to almost drop him.

In the dining room where the table was already set with dinner, a young woman was kneeling down at the table, placing out the bowls with rice. Soon, the whole family was seated and eating, chattering about like a family should. Tenten, the mother, was having a bit of trouble having Ryukku sit still for his dinner, as he was too excited for his first day at the academy tomorrow.

“Momma, I’ll be the first in the class! I’ll ace all the tests, and master my chakra, and learn all the jutsus in the world!” Ryukku bragged, waving his spoon in the air.

Tenten chuckled and put the spoon back on the table. “Of course you will, Ryukku. But remember, you’ll have to train hard, as well as study.”

Ryukku huffed and crossed his arms. “I don’t need to study. I can do it all on my own without studying,” he boasted.

While Tenten was trying to correct Ryukku, Hatsumi had been busy trying to catch Neji’s attention. “O-Otou-san?”

“Yes, Hatsumi?” Neji asked calmly.

“If I’m Hanabi-sama’s heir, does that mean I’ll be strong like her too?”

Neji smiled and put his hand on his daughter’s head. “Of course you will - if you want to, that is.”

Hatsumi smiled brightly at Neji before turning back to her dinner.

- - -


Twelve years had passed since then quite quickly. Ryukku had failed his first year in the academy, and was placed in the class with his sister and other kids a year younger than him. From there, they had graduated to their Genin teams, where they undertook missions with a Jounin teacher. After graduating to a Chunin level, their lives changes greatly, from a newbie to a middle classed ninja, where they took on harder and harder missions. The siblings took the Jounin exams twice before passing it on the second try.

But in addition to all that, they were busy even at home, mastering their Byakuugan and other Hyuuga moves and jutsus. Day after day, sleep seemed to come easier, with all that hard training. Even Tenten tried to train them harder with her style of fighting, although Hatsumi was the only one who actually tried to learn. Ryukku had thought that the Hyuuga moves he knew were enough, no matter how many times Neji, Tenten, or Hatsumi tried to tell him otherwise. But unlike Hatsumi, he had a lot of stamina and strength, as well as super speed, which gave him the upper hand in close range combat.

Being the successor to Hanabi, Hatsumi had to take time off and spend it with the Head, learning about various things, discussing many things. At first, she was only bringing tea to Hanabi, with a brief acknowledgement. Then, she was invited to spar, then later, talk and have tea together. Being a bit sensitive herself, Hatsumi had noticed a twang of jealousy whenever she mentioned the position of being heir around Ryukku. To be honest, she felt very sorry, but it wasn’t exactly her fault that he had gotten the cursed seal and not her. At least, not really.

“Hatsumi!”

“H-Hai, Hanabi-sama.” Hatsumi had been trailing off in her thoughts, missing most of what Hanabi had said.

“I said, ‘How is your family doing?” Hanabi said with a small smile.

“Oh. Well, Kaa-san and Otou-san are doing fine. They’re out on a mission today, but should be home soon. And Ryukku has a small cold, but he’s out training with his friends. At least, that’s what he told me.”

Hanabi raised an eyebrow. “You have to be certain. As a leader, you need to be sure of everything, or sound like you are, so no one doubts you.”

“W-wakarimasu, Hanabi-sama.” Hatsumi said, bowing her head in apology. She had heard that lecture more than enough times, but always ended up hearing it again and again.

“Now, Hatsumi, I think it’s about time for tea. Why don’t you go get it, and I’ll be waiting here,” Hanabi suggested, smiling. She understood Hatsumi’s uncertainty. After all, she had gone through it before.

“Hai, Hanabi-sama.” Hatsumi stood up and bowed from her waist, before turning back towards the main house. Quickly, she shuffled over to the kitchen, where everything was set out for her to get the tea. The kettle was boiling with hot water already, and smoke was whistling from the spout. Carefully, Hatsumi poured the water into the two china cups, where tea bags rested in each one. Using a small metal spoon, she gently stirred the water, causing it to turn a slightly murky color. Putting the cups on a tray, Hatsumi picked it up and cautiously carried the steaming cups back to where Hanabi was waiting.

Gently, Hatsumi placed the tray next to the Hyuuga Head, keeping her head low in respect. Then she sat down next to the tray, placing it between the two Hyuugas.

Only once Hanabi took a drink from the cup, did Hatsumi take one for herself. Silence followed for a while, the only sound of china on china, and the soft slurping.

“Hatsumi.”

“H-hai, Hanabi-sama,” she answered, a bit unnerved from the sudden conversation.

“Do you think I made the right choice, choosing you instead of your elder brother, Ryukku?”

Hatsumi thought carefully before answering, “I’m afraid I can’t answer that, Hanabi-sama. We would know the answer to that question, only once we’ve seen Ryukku in the position I am in.”

Hanabi chuckled lightly. She was about to say something, when someone interrupted.

“Hanabi-sama, the Godaime Hokage would like to talk to you,” a slightly muffled voice said. It was an Anbu with a cat-like mask covering their face. Hanabi only sighed in answer.

“Hatsumi, looks like we’ll have to cut today’s session short.” And with a nod, Hanabi and the ANBU disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Hatsumi stayed where she was for a little while before standing up and picking up the tray. Silently, she made her way to the kitchen, where she placed the half-empty teacups on the counter. Feeling guilty for just leaving the cups there, Hatsumi quietly left the kitche and went to the room where her family relaxed; sort of like a living room, but for just her family. Ryukku was there, lying down on his back, casually twirling a kunai with a finger.

“Hey, Hatsumi,” he said, when he noticed her. He sat up, and tucked the kunai back into his pouch. “You’re early.”

“Hanabi-sama was called by the Godaime. Are Kaa-san and Otou-san still gone?”

“Un.” Ryukku stood up and stretched. “Hey, do you want to spar? I have nothing else do to.”

“Hai,” Hatsumi nodded enthusiastically. “I’ll beat you this time, Onii-chan."