TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Japanese Lessons for Writers by Yumi

[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Spelling words and making them sound Japanese
One: Spelling



I'll likely update this later because I'm running out of time now.


The Japanese language has a sylibary of about 46 letters. Each one has a sound that is made up of one to three letters. All the vowels are "short" which means that "a" sounds like "ah". There are no hard endings with consanants except for "n", which is the last letter of the sylibary. All words will end in a vowel except for those that end in "n".

Some words are the same except for an elongated letter, which is usually spelled in Japanese with an "u", "i", or "a". Strangely, in the English translation, there are two different schools of thought. One is where the elongated letter (usually an "o") is spelled like it is in Japanese, with a 'u' next to it. Thus, the reader must interpret the combination of "ou" as "ooh". On the other hand, the other way of thinking is that the most important thing is the sound. Thus, an elongated "o" sound is spelled "oo" (which is how I spell 'otooto' and why).

Both are correct. Please don't tell me it's not.

The other syllables which is elongated usually, "i" and "a", are spelled in English simply as another "i" or "a". BE CAREFUL WITH THIS LETTER!! I have had to indicate several times in my fanfics the difference between "ojisan" and "ojiisan" (that's uncle and granfather). It's exactly the same English spelling, only grandfather has an extra "i". The same thing applies in the difference between aunt and grandmother (again the grandmother getting the extra "a").


Also, there are some words which have a "stopped" sound, which in Japanese is indicated with a smaller letter "tsu". This is only used with certain syllables, such as "ko" and "to". For instance, the word for "school" is pronouced "gako", but there is a hard-ish stop in the middle with the small letter and it is actually spelled "gakko". Be careful with this. Sometimes this can be the difference between the word you want to use and another word entirely.


Lastly, there are some the Japanese characters which are smashed together to make other sounds and/or have other markings on the side of them to make them different. Thus, if/when you look at a Japanese syllibary, you'll notice that some of the sounds you see in Japanese words are not there, such as "Ba", "Pa", "Kya", "Ja", "Bya", etc.

Here's where it gets interesting

And once again I'm out of time. I'll update again. . . soon -___-;;;


- Yumi ^^;;