TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Her Ninja Way by Uozumi

[Reviews - 4]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Title Her Ninja Way
Author Uozumi
Genre Drama/Romance
Rating PG
Disclaimer I do not own nor claim to own this. The characters, ect...contained within are not my property. This is an act of fandom and I do not make a profit from this endeavor. I also do not own the song contained within, it is property of its respective owner(s).
Summary The Hyugi protect Konoha by sacrificing the self for the good of the people. To insure peace between the Sand and the Leaf, Hinata is promised to Gaara. Though she is waiting for Naruto to return, she agrees because to give herself up for Konoha is her ninja way.
Chapter Two

Her Ninja Way

Chapter Two: “There are many things you must learn about Suna before you can walk amongst our people.”



It was early in the Konoha morning. The sun was coming up and the dew dripped off of the various plants inside the guarded city. Nara Shikamaru trudged down the shopping district, venders just setting up. As he passed some waved, but most were in the sleepy lull of setting up for the day’s customers. The Fifth seemed to enjoy getting him up at the crack of dawn to welcome the visitors from Suna whenever they came. The message arrived at three that he was to come to the entrance at four-thirty. He had been awake before the birds, and he hated that.

He saw the guardsmen flanking the gates, both more alert than Shikamaru felt. That wasn’t to say that Shikamaru wasn’t alert to his surroundings, he just was tired and grumpy. Stopping at the gate, one of the guards greeted him. “Nara, coming to escort the representative again?” There was a rather annoying smirk on his face.

“The Godaime sent me,” Shikamaru replied irritably.

“Uh huh,” said the other guard. Then he perked when the signal went up that the one of the doors was about to open.

A young woman of about seventeen appeared, her blonde hair sticking out in four bushy pigtails, her bangs parted in the center. Her dark eyes scanned the three young men before her. Finally, they rested on Shikamaru, her lips curling into a very slight smirk. “You again?”

“Yeah,” Shikamaru responded, glancing at the two guards who seemed to have identical bemused expressions. He looked back over at her and turned towards the village, indicating that they should leave. “Where are you going?”

“The Hyuga main house,” Temari replied. “I have to pick up Hyuga Hinata.”

Shikamaru raised an eyebrow. “What does the Sand want with Hinata?”

“I thought that Konoha knew,” Temari replied. “She’s going to marry Gaara.”

Shikamaru grew quiet as they started down the market street, vendors glancing their way, some of the older women smiling amongst themselves. “I forgot. It doesn’t seem like something that would be going on.”

“I know,” Temari commented. “Everyone was shocked. There’s no need for it, but if it’s part of the treaty and will keep us from war, Gaara will do it.”

Shikamaru simply nodded. Having been the exclusive escort for the Sand, he had been watching the change develop. It still didn’t make sense, but he could accept it to a degree. They turned down a residential street, and finally after going down a few more, they arrived at the center of the city where the Hyuga main house stood. “This is it.”

“Will you wait?” Temari looked over at him before going towards the house.

“I have nothing else to do.” Shikamaru met her eyes and then she nodded before leaving him to go up to the front door.

~*~


Hinata had been up before the birds preparing for when the representative of the Sand would come to collect her. She had on a large white long-sleeved shirt, long shorts, and sandals. She was prepared for the hot climate of Suna, but self-consciously hid her body. She watched out the window for the representative to arrive. She finally saw Temari and Shikamaru appear and stop in front of her house. They were talking about something and they were smiling. Well, Temari was smirking and Shikamaru looked bored, but in her mind they were smiling.

An image of Naruto flashed before her eyes. She had wanted to see him off when he left, but she didn’t have the courage. Even Neiji had asked if she was going to go say goodbye to him. However, Hinata was going to visit Gaara in the Village of the Sand because it was her duty to Konoha. She closed her eyes and put Naruto’s image away as she watched Temari walk up towards the front door.

Hinata opened the door before Temari could knock. “Good morning,” Hinata greeted the taller teenager.

Temari looked her over as though judging to see if Hinata’s clothing would be appropriate for the climate. “Do you have everything you need?”

“Yes.”

“Okay then.” Temari and Hinata walked over to Shikamaru who watched them.

“Back to the gate?” he asked Temari. When she nodded, he sighed and started back down the path he had gone down three times already that morning. The trio walked in silence and finally reached the gate. Shikamaru glanced at the bemused looks he was receiving from the guards.

“We’ll come back late tonight,” Temari turned to him as the guards gave the signal that the gate was about to open. “Are you going to be here?”

“Probably,” Shikamaru mumbled a reply.

Temari nodded and then gave a small wave. “See you then.” Then she and Hinata disappeared beyond the gates.

~*~


“So Temari went to get Hyuga?” Kankuro asked, looking over at Gaara.

“Yes, she left early this morning,” Gaara answered. The pair stood in a balcony overlooking one of the main streets of Suna. The number of people was growing as the sun climbed lower. Suna came close to shutting down between eleven in the morning and one in the afternoon when the sun was at its highest, but now that it was one-thirty, the streets were filling up again. “They should be here soon.”

Kankuro nodded as he surveyed the people bellow them. No one bothered to look up at them or even their way. His eyes searched the growing crowd and then he nodded in a direction. “I see them.”

Gaara’s green eyes glanced in the direction Kankuro indicated. Then he nodded and disappeared into the room.

~*~


Hinata’s eyes watched the people as they immerged from their houses and into the streets. Venders had finished setting their shops back up and everyone looked as though they were just waking up and starting the day.

“In our village,” Temari explained, “it’s too hot to do anything outside in the middle of the day so everyone goes home and rests. It’s too dangerous to be outside during that time of day unless you have water, but since water is very expensive, Suna shuts down between eleven and one.”

Hinata nodded as she politely declined to look at some wares a man offered out to her. “It’s a lot like Konoha,” she noted quietly. She wanted to speak more in this meeting and try to be braver. She was representing Konoha and wanted to cast it in a very respectful and polite light.

“First you will meet with the Kazekage and then you can see Gaara,” Temari told her as they walked past the balcony Kankuro and Gaara had been standing on minutes before.

Hinata nodded obediently. They finally came to the center of the village and entered an elaborate building. Temari led her through the first floor and then up to the third floor finally stopping outside a guarded door. “Temari bringing Hyuga Hinata to see the Kazekage.”

The stone faced guard nodded and then knocked on the door. After hearing a mumbled word, the guard spoke. “Hyuga Hinata requesting an audience.”

Another word came from behind the door and the guard turned to Hinata. “The Kazekage will see you now, Hyuga-sama.”

Hinata walked through the door and heard it shut quietly behind her. She looked over at the Kazekage behind his desk and watched him motion her to take a seat. “Welcome to Suna, Hyuga-sama.”

“Thank you, sir,” Hinata returned. “It’s a very nice place.”

“Yes, very different from Konoha, however,” the Kazekage commented, “I will tell you why you are meeting with me before you are meeting with Gaara.” He paused to make sure she was listening and was pleased to see that she wasn’t looking at her hands. He had asked Gaara how their first meeting had went and he expected Hinata to be much shyer, although Gaara was a much more intimidating person. “There are many things you must learn about Suna before you can walk amongst our people.”

After her nod, he continued, “First, always wear light clothing, that doesn’t mean the color has to be white, just don’t wear thick clothing. Second,” he met her eyes, “always remember to bring something with you if you go into the desert when traveling. Water is expensive, but for a long journey through the deserts outside of Suna, it is necessary. Third and final,” he said, “try to avoid the sun at all costs. Most wear hats or protective salves.” He studied her skin tone. “Talk with Temari about finding protection from the sun. You’re very pale and most likely will burn easily.”

Hinata nodded. “Thank you, sir.”

“Is there anything you wish to ask before I dismiss you?” the Kazekage inquired.

“Nothing right now.”

“Alright. You maybe leave now then.” He indicated the door.

Hinata rose from her chair and bowed before leaving through the door. Temari was waiting across the hall, she seemed to be brooding. When the older girl heard the door open, she walked over to Hinata.

“The Kazekage said that I need to get sun protection,” Hinata informed her. “The Kazekage said that you would know the most about it.”

Temari nodded. “We can pick up a hat and salve from one of our venders on the way to our home. You’re very pale so we’ll go to see Miyuzaki-san, he has the highest-level salve in Suna.” The girls started off down the hall in silence. Soon they were back outside and back under the canopies that shielded the venders from the sun’s glare. Temari walked towards the outside of the venders so that she was more in the sun than Hinata. Five vendors down, Temari stopped and greeted a man who was in his early fifties. “Good afternoon, Miyuzaki-san.”

“Temari,” he returned, smiling, then he turned his kind eyes on Hinata. “Who’s this?”

“This is Hyuga Hinata,” Temari answered. “She needs sun protection. I was thinking maybe level five?”

Miyuzaki scrutinized Hinata. “Have you ever tanned before, Hyuga-san?”

“No.” Hinata shook her head. She wore her bulky coat often and when she wasn’t, she always had on long sleeves. Today was one of the very few days she had ever worn shorts in her life, even if they were rather long.

“Then you will need level six,” Miyuzaki decided, consulting the vials before him. “You are already looking rather pink as it is. It would be best to stay under the awnings as much as possible.” He handed her a dark brown vial and then turned to Temari. “Shall I put this on the tab?”

Temari nodded. In Suna, there was a bartering system and most put their expenses on tabs and paid for them after their received their paychecks. She looked over at Hinata as the petite girl put the vial in her pocket. “Let’s visit Takahashi-san and get you a hat before we go home.”

Hinata followed Temari down the marketplace, keeping in the shade as much as possible. “Thank you.”

“It’s not a problem,” Temari replied and then stopped. “Here we are.” She stopped before a cart with several hats piled up on the counter and hanging from the poles. A thin man wearing a large brimmed sombrero glanced at the girls. “Ah, Temari, what can I do for you today?” he inquired.

“I’m looking for a hat, preferably with a wide brim,” she replied with a slight curt tone.

“Finally losing your pigtails I see? It is about time,” the man murmured. “Your mother was very pretty with her hair that – “

“It’s not for me,” Temari interrupted.

“Oh,” Takahashi remarked, then he looked over at Hinata. “So, you are the person who is getting the hat?”

“Y – Yes,” Hinata replied quietly.

Hey looked her over and then nodded. “Wide-brim is a good choice.” He rifled through the hats on the poles and then brought down a pale hat with a wide bill and fabric hanging down the back. “Try this one.”

Hinata took the hat from Takashi and placed it on her head. It slid down over the tips of her ears and the bill’s width had a comical appearance. She took it off and handed it to Takashi, who placed it back on the pole before looking through another one. “I have several of those from Haruka-san. She made several and said that they would be the height of women’s fashion.” His voice dripped with annoyance. “I haven’t sold a one and the old bag won’t even wear one!” He sighed and then took down a wide-brimmed wheat-colored hat. It looked almost like a straw hat, but was very smooth. “Try this one.”

Hianta slipped the hat on her head, tucking the leather loop behind her ears as the hoop of it rested against her chest. It shaded her face, but wasn’t amazingly large like Takashi’s sombrero.

“Perfect!” Takashi announced then looked at Temari. “Does she have a tab?”

Hinata worriedly played with the leather loop as Temari answered. “She is using our tab.”

Takashi nodded and then said, “Tell that brother of yours that he still owes me for his masks.”

“I’ll tell him.” Temari nodded, then she looked over at Hinata as they left the hat stand. “You can put on the salve downstairs in the guest room before you go to see Gaara.”

Hinata nodded, still playing with the loop of her hat. Glancing at her, Temari wondered if a hat with a strap had been the best choice, but it was much better than the hat with the fabric in the back.

~*~


Gaara heard the door open downstairs and Temari’s voice. He was sitting at a round table, his chin resting on the back of his hand. Kankuro glanced down at the ladder leading down to the first floor from where he was leaning against the wall, arms folded. They heard footsteps and then Temari appeared through the ladder hole.

“She’s downstairs putting on salve,” Temari explained as she hoisted herself up and onto the floor. Standing, she brushed off her skirt.

“How was the trip?” Kankuro asked.

“Uneventful. We stopped by Miyuzaki-san’s and Takahashi-san’s,” she paused. “Takahashi-san said that you owe him money for your masks, Kankuro.”

“I already paid him,” the oldest in the room muttered under his breath.

“Temari…?” a voice called from downstairs.

“We’re up here,” Temari called down the stairs. Soon Hinata appeared, her hat off her head and hanging down her back, her skin rather pink.

“When did you take her for the hat and salve?” Kankuro asked.

“After she met with Kazekage,” Temari answered. “Takashi-san and Miyuzaki-san weren’t open when we went by earlier.”

Kankuro nodded, but before he could speak, Gaara said, “Leave us.”

Temari and Kankuro exchanged looks and then they stood up and left down the ladder. Gaara stayed silent until he was certain they were gone. He watched Hina play with the brown loop of her hat as she studied it. He sighed inwardly. Temari had simply given Hinata a plaything to keep her from looking at him. “Can you not do that?” he growled slightly. He was going to work at asking her things instead of telling her. He had been watching various couples, trying to figure out how they could survive the arrangement. From what he had gathered, asking first was better than telling.

Hinata looked up at him cautiously. She couldn’t avoid his face forever if they were going to be married. She forced her hands into her lap. She didn’t know what to say. He made her nervous and her eyes soon averted to her fingers that were fidgeting.

They sat there in silence, then Gaara stood up. “Put your hat up, I’m going to show you something.”

Hinata blinked and then followed him out onto the balcony, her face in the shadows of her brim. He looked down at the crowded street bellow, the three o’clock sun bringing the people out of their homes. Gaara gripped the balcony’s railing and looked out across the sea of roofs before looking over at Hinata. “It’s easier to go across town over the roofs.”

“Okay.” She looked over at him and then she followed him as he jumped to the roof across the street, both of them making it across Suna within forty-five minutes. Gaara looked out at the city walls and then down at the alleyway bellow. Hinata stood a bit behind, taking in a few breaths. Gaara’s legs were longer and it hadn’t been too hard to keep up with him, but he was a better ninja than she was.

“Look over there,” Gaara said pointing off in a direction.

Hinata followed his finger and then she blinked. “That’s Konoha…right?”

“Yes, that tiny mountain in the distance is Konoha,” Gaara confirmed.

Hinata stared at it and then looked off in another direction. She didn’t want to think about Konoha right now. She didn’t know why Gaara had showed her this anyway. She turned away from the mountains and tugged at the loop of her hat. She still had two hours until she would be escorted back to Konoha. She could bare get through an hour of his presence. She couldn’t begin to imagine what living with him would be like.

Gaara watched her over his shoulder and then looked back out at Konoha. He had been looking at the mountains for years; it was the only thing that interrupted the desert which stretched as far as he could see from any point in Suna. “Let’s walk back through the city.” Gaara jumped down onto the street bellow.

Hinata turned back towards the east, then jumped down as well, landing beside him. Brushing off her shorts, she followed him into the city. They turned down another alley and then walked onto a main street. As they immerged, Hinata instantly felt eyes on her. She slid the brim of her hat down lower and kept her eyes on Gaara who was a pace ahead. They wove through the streets attracting a variety of expressions from people passing by. The sun began to sink as they neared his home.

Standing outside of it, he looked over at her and then spoke quietly. “Temari will you back to Konoha.” As if on cue, Temari appeared from within the shadows of a nearby alleyway. “Bye.”

“Bye,” Hinata returned and forced herself to meet his eyes, but as hers came up, Gaara was almost to his door.

To be continued…