TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Growing Pains by Archaic Aphorism

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: I forgot to mention this in the previous chapter, but this story starts approximately a month after Naruto leaves to train with Jiraiya. Everything that happened in the anime up until Naruto left has happened in this fic too, as well as things from Watashi wa Masako dearu., which is written to coincide with the anime (I haven't posted it yet).

After the point where Naruto leaves, this story will branch off completely and will not follow events after Naruto's return. I have heard some spoilers, however, and will try to write them in, but in my own way, not the way it happens in the manga. Got that? 'Kaythanks.

Disclaimer: I don't own it, I don't make profit, no intentions of copyright infringement, etc.

Arc 1: Getting Along
Chapter 2: Just

It had been quiet in their restaurant far too long for either Shikamaru or Chouji to enjoy it any longer. Shikamaru yawned.

"How come we're the only ones who show up on time anymore?" the lazy nin complained. Chouji frowned down at the empty table in front of him.

"Asuma-sensei never was very punctual," he answered with a shrug.

Shikamaru scowled, reclining in his chair, "But he was never this late before, either."

Chouji nodded in agreement. "Ino neither. She was always real good 'bout being on time."

"This sucks," Shikamaru announced, pushing the chair back until it teetered precariously on two, then one legs.

An exasperated blond caught him before he fell. "Honestly, Shika-chan," she reprimanded him, returning the seat and boy to an upright position, "You're going to crack open your head one day. Then what happens to all those brains you're so proud of?"

"M'not proud of 'em," Shikamaru muttered, looking sullenly out of a window. Ino hmph'ed.

"You tell yourself that, Shika-chan," she said. Shikamaru rolled his eyes and played with his chopsticks as Ino took her seat by Chouji.

"Sorry I'm late," she apologized, "I had business to take care of..."

With that she sighed dramatically and neither boy missed the look of despair that settled on her face as she, too, began to idly finger her chopsticks before snapping them apart. Shikamaru muttered to himself, knowing Ino only wanted attention. Therefore, he pointedly ignored the look; like hell he was going to take the bait and sit through an eternity of Ino-pity-party.

Of course, Chouji was more than happy to bite the hook. "What do you mean, Ino-chan?" he inquired innocently.

"Damnit, Chouji," Shikamaru whined and both of his friends dished him nasty glares. "Mendokusee..."

Indignantly, Ino began her story. "Well, as you both know I decided to become a medic nin like Big-Forehead-Girl, because to hell if I'm going to let her beat me! Obviously, it's not as simple as just deciding that's what you want to do. You see, you got to get an apprenticeship, like Billboard-brow's got. I filed for a meeting with Tsunade-sama the day Naruto left and just today it got through and- sorry Chouji- but it was much more important than barbeque."

Chouji nodded understandingly. "So you're going to start training with Tsunade-sama now?" Chouji asked, a little disappointed Ino would no longer be training with him and Shikamaru. Shikamaru silently thanked his lucky stars. Ino nearly blew a fuse.

"No! The old hag just turned me down, just like that! She said I had no potential and not to waste her time with my silly requests anymore!"

Shikamaru winced. "Damnit," he breathed.

"What was that, Shika-chan?" Ino seethed, round on him. He shrank away, holding up his hands innocently.

"Nothing," he said, looking anywhere but at the fuming Ino and Chouji shaking his head. Man, somebody up there hated him.

"You better hope it was nothing!" Ino spat, retaking her seat. Chouji placed a calming hand on her shoulder.

"Well, at least you're here this time," he informed her and Shikamaru groaned, knowing Ino was going to go absolutely ballistic when she discovered what she'd missed out on by leaving early three days ago.

"What do you mean, Chouji?" she asked. Chouji glanced at Shikamaru, who shook his head no, wanting to post-pone the torture as long as he possibly could. Chouji sighed.

"You'll see," he said lamely, "Asuma'll tell you."

Ino hmph'ed and left it at that.

- - -

Hinata nervously turned a bottle of ointment in her hands as she sat watching her teammates spar. It was something they did often, but it almost always ended up with somebody (usually Kiba) getting injured to some degree. Most of the time, Kurenai would stop them before it got too brutal- Kiba could get out of hand and Shino would always rise to meet him- but Kurenai was not there that evening. Had not been there all day, in fact, though the trio had dutifully trained in her absence.

"Damnit, where is that woman?" Kiba griped, throwing another roundhouse kick at Shino who blocked it with ease.

"Do you expect me to know?" he replied, sidestepping a thrust and serving a strong hook kick for Kiba, who barely dodged it.

"Of course I do! 'Cuz you're Shino," Kiba explained, breaking the fall with a roll and coming back to his feet, gracefully stumbling out of range of a heavy punch from Shino, "You always have an answer to everything."

"Hardly," Shino responded, evading an uppercut with a back-handspring, pulling the kicks that would have caught Kiba's shoulder and chin. Kiba grunted and mimed the part where he stumbled back. Shino landed on his feet.

"Whatever, Bug Freak," Kiba spat, charging. Shino sighed and sidestepped the boy, grasping his tanned wrist.

"Think before you begin an assault," he instructed, flicking away. Kiba spun to face Shino again.

"I don't see you meditating before every move," he shot back, "So why should I?"

Shino adjusted his jacket which had been swept slightly off-center and was causing him some discomfort. "I did not say to meditate."

"Che, whatever," Kiba answered, squaring off with Shino. They shuffled in a circle for a few moments before simultaneously leaping at each other. Hinata gasped and covered her mouth at the cloud they kicked up upon landing. It cleared, revealing Shino victorious again.

"Congratulations, Shino-kun!" she said, standing and clapping. Kiba muttered under his breath and got up, dusting himself off with what dignity he could muster. "You did well, too, Kiba-kun!"

"Aw, save it for when Kurenai gets here," Kiba spat, wiping his mouth and planting his butt dejectedly on their log. He wiped his mouth and frowned at the blood that smeared across the back of his hand. "Damnit, Shino, you could 'a at least pulled that last punch."

"I apologize," Shino sat in the middle, "It slipped my mind."

"Yeah, slipped your mind my ass," Kiba muttered darkly to himself. Akamaru whimpered and forced his head into Kiba's lap. Shino pushed his glasses higher on the bridge of his nose and looked up at Hinata, who was still standing. Kiba dabbed gingerly at his mouth.

"You're right though, Kiba-kun," Hinata said, peering over her shoulder down the dirt path, "I do wonder where Kurenai-sensei is..."

"Probably off getting' her sorry ass drunk again," Kiba intoned, still a little sore over having been beaten by Shino once again. Hinata sighed, twisting the cap of the ointment jar absently.

"That is doubtful," Shino spoke, "I'm not sure, but I believe Sensei had a mission today."

"O-oh," Hinata exclaimed, "Really? I wonder what rank it was..."

"She's a jounin," Kiba rolled his eyes, "It's probably B- or A-ranked. They get all the good missions..."

"You were part of the Sasuke-retrieval mission," Shino reminded him, "From what I hear, that was a difficult mission. Does that not qualify it as a 'good' mission?"

Kiba mulled it over and frowned. "I hate it when you're right," he finally said, hanging his head. Akamaru yipped and attempted to lick his owner's face. Kiba scowled and pushed the ninken away, rubbing his cheeks, muttering to himself again. Hinata giggled.

- - -

Ino checked the clock; drummed her fingers impatiently; checked the clock again. Shikamaru absently fiddled with his utensils while gazing out the darkening window. Chouji frowned and stood up, peering at the entrance of their restaurant again before sitting back down.

They heaved a collective sigh.

"That's it," Ino announced, "I can't take it anymore!"

"But Ino-chan," Chouji began.

"No! It's been two hours, Chouji! He's obviously forgotten," she said sternly, standing. "Besides, it's getting late and I got dumped with closing shop tonight."

"I can't believe he would forget," Chouji mumbled, twiddling his thumbs. Shikamaru groaned.

"Sit down, Ino," he said, "I'll buy dinner."

Ino frowned but sat and Chouji gleefully, if not a little apprehensively, flagged down a waitress. He ordered a large dish for everyone to share and Shikamaru discreetly dug through his wallet as Ino and Chouji argued over what to get. He grimaced. There went the new book he'd been saving for. Oblivious, his friends continued to chat.

"So," Ino said, "What is this gossip Asuma-sensei was going to tell me?"

Chouji hesitated, looking to Shikamaru who only shrugged and sank lower in his chair. Bracing himself, the Akimichi turned to Ino. "You know Yuuhi Kurenai, right?"

Ino nodded. "Really pretty genjutsu-type, right? I hear she has every issue of Kunoichi In Style!"

"Uh, yeah, her," Chouji said, scratching his head.

"What about her?" Ino pressed, eager for the latest news.

"Her'n Asuma-sensei are getting married."

Silence. Shikamaru covered his ears.

"Oh my god, you're kidding me! No way, you're serious? Oh my god, how could he not have told me? Oh, I can't believe I missed it! Just wait 'till I rub this in Billboard-Brow's face, oooh, she'll be so pissed!"

Chouji's ears twinged painfully and he wondered what point there was in rubbing their teacher's marriage in Sakura's face. A girl thing he decided and left it alone.

"Oh, oh, oh, are they cute together? Oh, who am I kidding, I bet they're adorable! What kind of ring did he get her? Probably some cheap band and a stone. That's so Asuma-sensei- he'd rather spend his money on cigarettes than a nice ring. Ugh, how can Kurenai stand him? He always smokes. I mean, that's gotta be annoying-"

At this point, Chouji gave up following her and joined his friend in tuning out the kunoichi.

The waitress slid a plate of barbeque on their table. Chouji and Shikamaru began eating, devoutly ignoring the oblivious Ino.

"Oi, Ino," Shikamaru muttered.

"Huh? What, Shika-chan?" she answered crossly.

"Try this, it's really good," he said, stuffing the barbeque into her mouth. He sighed in relief as she gagged on it.

"Shika..." she rumbled, "I swear-"

"Mendokusee."

I only wanted to give my ears a rest...

"See ya, Chouji."

Depositing his money on the table, Shikamaru high-tailed it out of the barbeque shop, followed closing by a raging Ino, and leaving Chouji to happily enjoy the rest of his barbeque in peace.

- - -

Glasses clinked and laughter filled the air, laced with cigarette smoke and the smell of beer. A large group of vested Shinobi sat squeezed into a booth at the back of the bar, exchanging stories and congratulations.

"So, have you both told your cells yet?" someone shouted over the din.

Kurenai nodded, "Yup!"

They laughed. "And how did it go?"

Kurenai laughed, "Terrible."

"Don't worry, that's how it always goes," someone else reassured her. She flashed that brilliant smile, snuggling closer to Asuma, who suddenly put his head in his hands.

"Asuma-kun?" she asked. The party quieted down a little, some heads turning.

"Shit!" he moaned, "I just remembered what I was supposed to be doing tonight... I promised Chouji I'd go to barbeque with him and Shikamaru and Ino."

"But this is more fun, isn't it?"

Asuma groaned and Kurenai rubbed his back. "I'm gunna be in for hell tomorrow," he grumbled, adding another cigarette to the one already pinched between his teeth. A round of snickers went up and the chaos returned.