TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Team Seventeen by BattyBigSister

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: If you're wondering why this update took so long, it's probably because the research for it took so long... Months actually. I ended up watching Seasons 1 through 3 of the original Naruto series and good chunks of 4 and 5 as well... Hope it was vaguely worth the effort. It was certainly good to see it all again anyway. I'd not watch it in a long time. (Kishimoto-sensei is a genius. Fact.)
Water splashed down into the metal sink as Mikoto reached across for another bowl. Bubbles churned as the water spattered and rippled, and the warm stream sprayed her hands as she fumbled for the cloth. The large rectangular window washed her face and torso in bright light as she worked at her stainless steel kitchenette, but for once Mikoto wasn't smiling.

She was aware of silence behind her. The sound of chopsticks had stilled, not that it had been very fierce to begin with. A small melancholy aura tripped alarms in her maternal senses from the long low dining table behind her. She frowned as she scrubbed out the ceramic interior of the bowl. Was her child sick? Upset? Had something happened? Uneasiness spreading through her, she waited patiently for him to tell her on his own.

A bowl returned to the low eating table with a thump. "Kaa-san…" a small voice offered.

The tap was turned off in an instant. "Huh?" She turned, her concerned eyes scrutinising the room's sole remaining occupant.

Little Sasuke was staring at his lunch with a lacklustre expression. It didn't look like he had touched a bite. His shoulders hung limp at his sides, his face was almost hidden by the high wide-set collar of his dark turtleneck sweater. He seemed a tiny figure, a small cloud of misery, lost in the towering kitchen. The pale green retro fridge loomed behind him; the tall glass fronted unit with the bowls rose up in front; even the unit with the TV and Mikoto's favourite toaster seemed to crowd out the young boy seated on the green-coloured floor mats. (1)

"What does Tou-san (2) really think of me and Nii-san (3)?"

The question surprised her, making her exhale loudly as her mind raced to process what he meant. "What's this all of a sudden?"

For a moment, Sasuke didn't answer. His chopsticks hung limply from his fingers and his young body cowed in unusual stillness. "A while ago, Tou-san said 'as expected of my child' to me," he explained, his eyes still downcast even as his mother dried her hands on her apron and came closer to listen, "He only used to say that to Nii-san, so I was really happy."

"Oh," Mikoto smiled encouragingly, "Isn't that good?"

"But lately," Sasuke continued, his tone unchanged, "Tou-san and Nii-san haven't been getting along."

They hit the heart of the matter and, in spite of herself, Mikoto gasped in quiet disappointment. Her head lifted, frowning, as she studied her youngest son in concern. Despite her best efforts it seemed he had picked up on the family squabbles from which he was still so innocent. Squabbles she had hoped to shield him from for as long as she could.

"And I thought…" the child went on, his body still unmoving, "Am I just a replacement for my brother?" The silence etched itself uncomfortably into the room, as Sasuke's statement hung in the air between them.

Mikoto's sigh was louder this time as she stilled herself to speak. "Your Nii-san is your Nii-san and you are you," she pronounced, her tone firm and encouraging, "Your Tou-san is always worried about both of you." She smiled tenderly at him, emphasising her point.

Sasuke snapped. He spun around, glaring at his mother. Suddenly the emotion he had been missing earlier bubbled up passed the surface, anger and hurt flashing in his dark sensitive eyes. "In that case, why is it always others?" he demanded, his tone irate as he dared her to disagree.

"Uh-uh," she shook her head softly, smiling reassuringly at him as she explained the truth he couldn't quite see, "No, that's not it. As the representative of the Uchiha, your father has to protect the whole clan."

The rage had died down to sulky confusion. "What do you mean?" Sasuke hesitated, his bright face locked onto his mother's with reluctant hope.

"It's just that's Itachi's bigger than you and your senpai in the clan, which means your father's responsibility will fall to him," she smiled affectionately, even as her little boy blinked in uncertainty, still frowning up at her, "Your father has to oversee that task, so that's probably why he's always focused on Itachi."

Sasuke looked away, frowning as he stared at his food. Mikoto crept closer to the table, leaning over to whisper conspiratorially in his ear. "Between the two of us," she began, grinning as she caught her son's attention, "When he's with me, your Tou-san only talks about you." Still beaming affectionately, she pointed at herself as if to indicate that these were her private communiqués with her children's father. Sasuke's eyes widened. She laughed, standing up again. "That's why he acts awkwardly and always seems so angry."

Her son smiled, glancing down in embarrassment at his earlier outburst. He felt relieved, happy, a little silly at his mother's confidence…

Seemingly innocuous, the front door opened and closed further inside the house. Mikoto glanced up in surprise at the sound of her husband home early. Sasuke too seemed to recognise the sound of the heavy footsteps in the hallway, as his father discarded his boots and pulled on his sandals. The boy sat bolt upright in excitement, making Mikoto smile again, as the heavy thoughtful tread moved to the decking outside, closer to the kitchen.

Before either of them could acknowledge it, however, the weighty movements were interrupted by the awkward sound of a sliding door being unevenly wrenched along its track. A pattering of much smaller feet chased the larger ones over the decking, followed by a loud thump as that little someone fell over.

Uchiha Fugaku's laugh bellowed through the house, the deep throaty sound rumbling with the unusual mirth. "Ah, Miyu! Miyu! Miyu-chan!" came a deep affectionate chortle, almost a guffaw, "How is my little princess?"

The sound of that laugh made Sasuke go pale. He threw his chopsticks down on the table, disappointment coursing through him. "It's not true," he insisted, angrily rising to his feet, "None of it. It's always Nii-san, Nii-san or Miyu, Miyu. Miyu's the only one he spoils like baby. If he only prefers Nii-san because he's older, why is it that even pathetic Miyu can get him to look at her without trying? Am I just not good enough? Is that it?" His fists clenched and his torso shook as he scowled at his own bare feet, body shaking with betrayal.

"Sasuke…" Mikoto stretched out a hand, but before she could reach him, her child barged passed her, his arms covering his face as he charged out the back door. "Sasuke!" She raced after him, bracing herself on the frame as her youngest son disappeared around the back of the house.

"Ah, what's going on in here?" a familiar gruff voice demanded in surprise.

Mikoto turned to see her husband staring at her. A stern jaw with deep frown lines, heavy set eyes with their low straight eyebrows, Fugaku's features were nevertheless raised in surprise. His broad square shoulders hung stern and straight over his muscular torso, but there was a certain tension in his posture at the sight of his wife's concerned face, as if he was ready to spring into action at any moment. The Konoha police uniform seemed unusually ruffled, his blue ninja suit wrinkled and the collar of his flack slightly askance. That though was the fault of the large dead weight hanging by its thin little arms around his neck.

Although she was only two years younger than Sasuke, the baby of the Uchiha clan blinked silently up at her mother, stroppy dark hair hanging over her large eyes. Said hair was cropped short on the six year old (4), but it either stuck up in all sorts of odd directions or managed to hang low in over her small rounded face. A pacifier, for which she was much too old, bobbed up and down in her mouth as she clung limply against her father's side, the skirt of her dark blue dress fanning over his muscular arm, the Uchiha clan symbol displayed all over her back. Her skinny bare legs clamped around his toned waist, anchoring itself against the pockets of his jounin-green flak jacket. She rubbed her cheek against her father's shoulder, her expression bland and docile like the over-grown infant she was. Plump cherubim lips pushed the pacifier up and down in a vacant pout.

She looked like a living human doll, designed to be cute and cuddly, but not a substitute for the real thing. In six years Mikoto had yet to hear her daughter utter more than a few syllables. Miyu just watched people with those huge unfathomable black eyes and followed her father and brothers around like a small puppy. She was indefensibly cute and her simple ways won affection out of even the most repressed of strangers. Mikoto loved her, Fugaku adored her – and yet he probably had more actual respect for his sons. He certainly demanded far more from both of them than he ever did from the silent insubstantial voiceless little girl.

The woman gave them both an affectionate smile, slightly sadly, before turning back to the view behind the house. "I think Sasuke's having a bit of a bad day," she sighed, her eyes watching the spot where her son had disappeared.

Chapter end notes: (1) Sasuke's Mum and Dad did actually have those units and appliances, in those colours, in their kitchen. If you don't believe me, go check the anime yourself. I first noticed them in the flashback scene in Episode 84, Season Four (of the original Naruto series) in which Sasuke is asking his Dad about his brother. There's also a lovely bird's eye view of the room in Episode 129, Season Five as well, when Sasuke is asking his father about the Sharingan.
If you really want to know: Sasuke usually sits on the side of the table where the fridge is. Fugaku sits at the head of the table in front of the TV and the toaster and therefore presumably Itachi would take the side with the large glass-fronted cabinet with the bowls. Mikoto is usually found near the foot end, where the stove and sink (and back door) are located.

(2) Short for Otou-san, meaning father

(3) O'Nii-san meaning older brother, as most of you already knew

(4) Sasuke is seven years old in the first flashback scenes we are shown, where things are still relatively normal within his family and especially with his brother. (We know this because we are given a conversation between him and his 'aunt' where he explains proudly how Itachi graduated from the academy at seven, only to then become embarrassed because he is the same age and is still far off that achievement.) He is eight at the time of the massacre (about a full year later, definitely more than just a few months) and his birthday is in July. Assuming that the academy uses something similar to the Japanese school system with the year starting in April with a longish break in the summer, that would put the 'Uchiha Incident' in the autumn at the earliest, because Sasuke was training after school while his family were killed and had clearly attended class that day. This conversation happened somewhere in the run-up to these events, making it probable that Sasuke had already had his birthday and is now eight years old. His sister in this story is, as I said, two years younger, so she is about six. I'm thinking of giving her a birthday in January anyway (it suits her), so she is definitely six years old at this point. The conversations between Itachi and the various people convincing him to go through with the massacre seem to indicate (to me at least) that Sasuke is not only innocent of any knowledge of the coup d'état because of his age: he is unique in being so because of his age, suggesting that there were no children younger than Sasuke in the clan at that time. Depending on how large you consider the clan to be, this becomes easier to imagine. By default therefore, in this story, Miyu is the youngest Uchiha instead and, boy, does she take being the 'baby' of the clan to a whole new level.