TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


With Best Intentions by nerocorleone

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Dear Readers!
Before this story begins I'd like to say a few words.
I never thought I'd ever (ever) write a next-generation-fic, but now I do. The idea for this came from another story I wrote a while back (Choice), which can be read as a prequel to what happens here and now. (But you don't have to read it, if you don't want to.)

I'd also like to warn you. This won't be happy, fluffy family-life. (If you read Choice, you might have guessed.)

If you are looking for a story about Kakashi and Sakura being perfect parents, you're probably in the wrong place here.

But if you are looking for the two of them trying hard to be the best parents they can be – I dearly hope that you will enjoy this fic.

~ Nero.

The Academy's hallway is long and windy, as if it had been specially designed to make escape for students impossible. It twists and bends and behind each corner there might be a teacher waiting, an evil grin on his face, and his hands ready to grab you by your collar and drag you back to the class you are supposed to be in.

Sneaking out of class, Hane Hatake has decided for herself, she learns way more than staying in class.

For example: There is an air shaft next to the boy's bathroom, and if you are very small (and Hane is very small), you can easily use it to sneak past the staffroom and avoid the wide windows that would expose you to the class currently at work on the Academy's training ground.

It's a bit of a maze up here though, and after three or four junctions Hane feels lost. For a second she is scared – what if she will never find her way out of here ever again? She'd dehydrate and starve and die, and no one would find her until the smell of rotting flesh would seep into the class-rooms. She imagines how they'll have to send one of her father's smaller dogs into the air shaft and the shock on her parents' faces when it is her, little Hane, who'll be dragged out of here.

And then the solution to the problem hits her. Of course – if the ninken can use their noses to find her in this maze, she should be able to use her own nose to find her way outside.

Fifteen minutes later, she pushes back a metal grit and breaths in the open summer-air. The metal grit falls down to the ground with a loud "clonk" and Hane freezes. Someone must have heard it, she thinks and crawls backwards until she thinks she must be concealed in shadows.

She waits, ears and nose on alert, but no one comes to see what that noise was, so eventually she climbs out of the air shaft and down the Academy wall. She wonders if she should replace the grit and decides that yes – it would be way more professional, if she didn't leave any traces. But the metal is quite heavy, and after a few (painfully) unsuccessful attempts of walking up the wall with it in her hands she gives up. (She usually is very good at walking up walls, but carrying something like this is a completely different matter!)

"Do you need help with that?"

Hane spins around. They did hear the noise, she thinks, but they were clever enough not to let her notice them.

She cannot see anyone. However, she soon sees something. One thin and dark tentacle slithers in her direction, wraps its end around the metal grid and easily lifts it up and pushes it back in its place.

Hane grins, but her grin quickly drops (just like the rest of her body), as the shadowy tentacle suddenly twists around her ankle, and in one swift movement pulls her away from the Academy's building.

Dangling by her feet, Hane looks down at Shikamaru, who's lying in the grass, half closed eyes squinting up at his catch and an amused smile playing around his lips.

"Shouldn't you be in class?", he asks.

"It's boring", Hane replies dryly.

"I'm sure it is. But you might learn something useful."

"We never learn anything useful in kunoichi-classes", she pouts, then wiggles a little. She can feel the blood pulsing in her head.

Shikamaru doesn't seem to notice. He considers her words carefully, then lets her down to the ground.

Hane understands his invitation.

"What are you doing here, Shikamaru-sensei?", she asks, while she lies down, mimicking his posture.

"Training with Nozomi", he tells her.

This confuses Hane.

Nozomi is Hane's best friend but – unlike Hane – doesn't skip kunoichi-classes. She thinks about it for a little while, but still can't make any sense of it. So eventually she says:

"But Nozomi is still in school."

Shikamaru turns his head.

"I know", he says with a sly grin "but Tsunade-sama doesn't."

Now that Hane understands her eyes widen.

"You're skipping classes, too?", she asks, amazed by the possibility that an adult would do so.

"In a way", Shikamaru yawns.

"But", he adds, "we aregoing to train later. Wanna join us?"

This isn't a question he has to ask. Both of them know.

Hane beams as she nods eagerly.

By now she could easily take it for granted that she is allowed to part-take in Nozomi's training with Shikamaru. Yet she'd never ask, but always waits for one of those two to invite her. Luckily they usually do.

Training with Shikamaru is very different from the training they get in the Academy, or even from training with her father. Hane likes Shikamaru's kind of training, even though Nozomi tells her that he is just too lazy to do anything else with them.

Half of the time he simply presents them with problems, as they might occur on a real mission, and lets the girls solve them in theory.

Today it is different, though. Maybe Nozomi nagged him enough for them to get some "real" training, or maybe Shikamaru thought it time for the girls to get some action. Either way, today – when Nozomi has finished her kunoichi-class – he leads the way down to the training ground.

Hours later Hane makes her way home. She's covered in mud and her clothes are partly torn, and in her left hand she clutches one of her front teeth (it had been loose for some days, but she hadn't expected it to fall out so soon). She feels like she just lived through a war. Which she did, in a way.

Their training's objective had been to steal an egg (an actual egg) from Shikamaru (which they managed) and then bring it home (that is, to their corner of the training-ground) without allowing it to get damaged on the way (which they didn't manage – it was then that they learned that the egg was not only real, but also raw). But, Shikamaru told them, they were on a good way, so it wasn't all bad).

Hane can smell the bad news before she's entered her parent's house. The perfume of her kunoichi instructor, Suzume-sensei, lingers on the door-step.

She braces herself, stands on her tiptoes to reach the door-handle, and carefully steps inside.

She peals off her dirt-clot sandals and listens.

"If your daughter's attitude doesn't change any time soon, I assure you, this will have consequences", Suzume says.

Hane waits for her mother to answer, but instead hears a chair being pushed back, and shortly after that Hane's mother appears in the hallway. She looks down at her daughter with lips as thin as a line and eyes like poison.

For a second Hane's blood freezes. Then she understands that her mother' anger isn't directed at her.

"Upstairs", she whispers, "get yourself cleaned up, and then go to your room."

Hane nods. She wonders if this is her punishment, but suspects that it isn't, as her mother raises her index-finger to her lips, motioning Hane to be very quiet.

Hane sits in her room and waits. She stares at the alarm clock on her desk.

Seventeen minutes and thirty-nine seconds later her mother knocks at her door (she always does), but doesn't wait for her daughter's answer (she never does).

"This", she says, resting her hands on her hips "was the last time I made up excuses for you skipping school."

"Yes, mum", Hane mumbles. It's the fourth last timeand by now Hane doesn't feel very threatened any more. Of course she would never tell her mother.

"It was just kunoichi-class", she tries to explain herself – because she knows that her mother shares her dislike of this particular class.

"It's always just kunoichi-class", her mother retorts.

"I know it's boring, but you might need to pose as some boring civilian woman on a mission one day, and what will you do then?"

Hane thinks about this for a moment. She has heard the argument before, from both her parents as well as her teachers.

"I'll simply refuse the mission", she then says. It's obvious really.

Her mother's right eye twitches a little.

"That's not how it works", she tells Hane, her voice accelerating in volume.

"You don't get to refuse a mission."

"And how would you know?", Hane shouts back.

"You don't go on missions. You work at the hospital!"

With a loud crash, her mothers fist slams into Hane's bedroom wall. It leaves a small dent, and some plaster crumbles down to the ground and into the fur of Mister Beagle. (A plush-dog. Hane would love to have a real one, but her father tells her that she's still to young for that.)

"That's it", Hane's mother says. She's no longer shouting. Her voice is very quiet and very sharp. Like cutting-wire.

"You're grounded", she says.

"And don't even think about climbing out the window", she then adds, while her fingers run through a number of seals.

Hane blinks. She has no idea what she did to make her mother this angry, but she suddenly feels sure that the fourth last time really was the last.

Chapter end notes:

So much for the first chapter.
Please tell me what you think. (Even, or especially, if you disagree with anything I wrote!)

And, to avoid any confusion. The name I chose for Kurenai's daughter is the same one I gave her in Aftermath. However, those two fics are in no way connected (other than being written by the same author and for the same fandom) - I'm simply very lazy when it comes to making up names for fandom OCs.