TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Where'd You Go? by Tragedy

[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes: Enjoy. Review.
Being the Hokage… was not easy, and it was about to get just a little bit tougher for one Sarutobi Hiruzen, the Sandaime of Konohagakure no Sato. He had taken an impromptu mission that required his direct attention and presence, leaving all of his paperwork to fall, begrudgingly, into the hands of his “advisors.” Just when he was feeling grateful that Danzou had not been able to get his hands on, well, anything, his wife slid into his office.

After being sure that no one else was in the room, Sarutobi Biwako, followed by their son Sarutobi Asuma, closed and locked the door behind herself. Sarutobi Hiruzen put down the papers he had been shifting through, and raised an eyebrow expectantly. His wife almost never visited him at work, and had she been there on business he’d already be hearing about it. His stomach dropped as he took in his son’s mere presence, let alone his solemn appearance.

“I… Initially was going to talk to you alone, but it seems our little Asuma-kun has picked up your…. Affinity, for spoken word. The poem is mine, but I had decided on this while he was away, and because he feels the same way, I’ve decided to let him recite it.”

Sarutobi did his best to not show his pride at this little fact, as the vibe in the room told him this was not the time.


Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.

Biwako had started to… sing. ‘Aw crap,’ thought Hiruzen, knowing that she only did such when she was feeling really emotional. Listening to what she was saying, it didn’t sound good. And then his son stepped forth. Staring his father straight in the eye, he quoted his mother.

She said "Some days I feel like shit,
Some days I wanna quit, and just be normal for a bit,"

The Third’s eyes closed a fraction at the profanity, but he dismissed it in favor of listening to what his son, or rather his wife, had to say because obviously they had something to say.

I don't understand why you have to always be gone
I get along but the trips always feel so long

The Sandaime was aware that his son had taken up smoking cigarettes and couldn’t be upset, they were in the middle of a war after all. At least smoking seemed to help him cope in ways that Sakumo’s kid never learned. But without a cigarette to smoke, or enough respect to not do so in his presence, Asuma, diverted his eyes somewhat and used his hands to express his feelings. Between the boy’s training and missions, an Sarutobi’s all nighters in the war room, he supposed that he was “always gone.” And at least his son could be distracted by the combat. Biwako only had hetself and Kushina. All she wanted was Sarutobi.

And, I find myself trying to stay by the phone,
'Cause your voice always helps me to not feel so alone

Sarutobi looked to his wife for affirmation, but she would not meet his gaze. Taking that as an affirmative, Sarutobi felt a pang of guilt shoot through to somewhere behind his ribs. Before, he had been good about it, but now a days, calling or writing home hardly ever crossed his mind, and he followed through even less than that.

But I feel like an idiot, workin' my day around the call
But when I pick up I don't have much to say

A flurry of memories rushed towards The Professor, akin to how he tended to remember jutsu, he remembered many a night (though not enough) where he and his wife hsd talked, but had not really talked for lack of words to say or things to talk about. And in his mind, she still lived in the real world, or maybe it was a make-believe world. In any case, it was a world the war had not afforded him the luxury to think much of, keep tabs on, or be a part of in any shape or form. Therefore he never spoke of it. All he knew now was the war.

And Biwako would talk about anything BUT the war.

So, I want you to know it's a little fucked up,
That we’re stuck here waitin', at times debatin',
Tellin' you that I've had it with you and your career,
Me and the rest of the family here singing "Where'd you go?"

THAT got Hiruzen’s attention. He knew that they had to know that as Hokage, his job was very important right now. For them to go to these lengths, he saw this for what it really was, an intervention. He knew that this was his family’s idea of fighting to stay a family. He also knew that they would only fight once.

I miss you so
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...

Biwako sang on a little, and seemed as if she were ready to stop, until Asuma signaled her to continue. As she sang, she put her heart into, and searched Hiruzen’s face, which despite him no longer trying to make eye contact, was covered in surprise. Her hopes fell as she realized that surprise was not only his first reaction, but also his predominant one, and not much more emotion would seep out. She was lonely now, but she was also tired.


You know the place where you used to live,
Used to barbecue up burgers and ribs,

Sarutobi Hiruzen did remember those days that turned into nights by make shift bonfires in the back yard. In fact, he still had a picture of when Asuma had lit the fire himself for the first time. Just that memory alone brought a tear up into his wrinkle creased eye.


Used to have a little party every year with candy by the pile,
But now, you only stop by every once and a while,


And although it wasn’t said, Hiruzen knew that those times, as rare as they were, tended to be when Asuma was asleep or away on a mission, which, now that there was a war raging just outside the gates, was all the time.

Shit, I find myself just fillin' my time,
With anything to keep the thought of you from my mind,
I'm doin' fine, and I'm plannin' to keep it that way,
You can call me if you find that you have something to say,


Once again, he felt a pang of hurt and guilt pierc his heart. He knew for a fact that this was his son talking, and despite his words, his emotions were raw and they seeped into what he was saying. Something else Asuma never said was that he might as well have been Hatake Kakashi, fatherless. Nevertheless, Hiruzen knew that the feeling was there.

The pain had hurt him in ways he had never known were possible. This being the second war he’s participated in and living through the deaths of both of his sensei and both of his own parents, he knew a lot of ways to hurt.


And I'll tell you, I want you to know it's a little fucked up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', at times debatin',
Tellin' you that I've had it with you and your career,
Me and the rest of the family here singing "Where'd you go?"

Biwako, herself caught a little off guard, choked up on the compilation of her own emotions, now swirling in with her son’s. He was a ninja, and apparently a very good one at that, because though she had known that he harbored some of these feelings, she had not known that they were this strong. A tear leaked out of one eye and streaked down her face, quickly followed by it’s mate from the other eye. They kissed at her chin and embraced in a spiral downwards.

I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...

Looking at Sarutobi let her know that her husband had not gone unphased by his son’s moving performance. A glance at her son had told her that he probably still had more to say, and so she started her singing again, thinking that maybe it would ease the passage of his thought process, like when he was younger. Perhaps she was right, because he was soon further expressing himself.


I want you to know it's a little fucked up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', no longer debatin',
Tired of sittin' and hatin' and makin' these excuses,
For why you're not around, and feeling so useless,
It seems one thing has been true all along,
You don't really know what you've got 'til it's gone,
I guess I've had it with you and your career,
When you come back I won't be here and you can sing it...


The Third half sat back and was half knocked back by the sheer force of emotion that drowned his son’s words in their vengeance despite him not actually screaming at him. That’s probably what made it so bad.

His eyebrows furrowed as he tried and tried again to analyze his songs words but… he just wasn’t comprehending. They weren’t making any sense. That is, until Asuma stepped foreward, face now impassively clear of emotion, and dropped a copy of his application for a new apartment. Being over the age of twelve, and therefore being an adult by shinobi law, this was technically legal and had already been agreed to and signed upon.

He gazed with near unseeing eyes at the parchment that dared to rend his heart apart so, only looking up at the sound of a small poof. Next to his wife was a small pile of leaves with a single cigarette sitting neatly on top of it.

He, half afraid of what he would see, raised his eyes to meet her gaze, and could not read all of the emotions in her eyes, fore he could not see pass the pain. She ran out of the office and he knew that she had not known either. Never bothering to get up and lock the door, Sarutobi propped his elbows unto his desk and planted his eyes into the palms of his hands. Once into position, he cried his fragile-turned-broken heart out, the echoes of his wife’s own singing and sobbing echoing in his head, as a mental vision of his son running out replayed itself over and over in his mind…. And already it felt like forever.


Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
Please come back home...