Take My Pain Away by CandyElly
Summary: Sakura is now a Jounin and Kakashi and Naruto stand by her sudden dislike for Sasuke and his disappearance. After one tragic night it seems as though Sakura will never be the same again. Can her former sensei help get the old Sakura back?
Categories: General Fiction > Character-Centric, General Fiction > Post-Naruto Characters: Kakashi Hatake, Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 24153 Read: 8950 Published: 25/11/04 Updated: 01/12/04

1. Secrets by CandyElly

2. An Impossible Mission by CandyElly

3. What Friends are For by CandyElly

4. Hopes and Dreams by CandyElly

5. A Bad Omen by CandyElly

6. Tension Rises by CandyElly

Secrets by CandyElly
Let me give my first warning in case someone didn't catch them in the description...I know it may not seem like it at first but you're going to run into super angst and super graphic descriptions of violence mixed in with super graphic descriptions of sex. Sooo you better be 17 ^^

Also sorry if formatting is weird...It wouldn't let me upload html file :

-----------

Haruna Sakura was Konoha’s rising new star pertaining to Jounins. She may have always been a step or two behind her teammates but that was still a step above everyone else. Her skills were great enough to warrant promotion to Jounin at only the age of 19. Uzumaki Naruto and Uchiha Sasuke, her teammates for many years, had both passed the exam over a year prior.

Sakura looked up at the sky from her perch in a cherry blossom tree and smiled. It was a beautiful day and she was only taking a short break while sparring with Naruto. Life was grand and she could always count on her good friend to train with her daily.

“Hey, Sakura! You aren’t giving up are you?” Naruto grinned in her direction and Sakura turned her head to look at him. He still had that same boyish optimistic attitude, and his dream of Hokage had never wavered. However, in terms of appearance, he was a completely new person. He was now a head taller than Sakura and his muscles had formed him rather nicely. His facial features were more defined and that boyish grin had evolved into a handsome smile. Sakura could see his collarbone jut through his shirt and she smiled. Personally she had always found that part of a man quite sexy. Not that she was attracted to Naruto.

“No, but I do believe it sounds like you are trying to give up on me!” She returned Naruto’s grin as she stood up from her branch and lunged at him with a kunai in hand.

Sakura’s speed had significantly increased over the years; Kakashi had decided that this was most likely the smartest area for her to concentrate. Genjutsu was also a strong point of hers though she was nowhere near as talented as Sasuke. Her stamina, however, was still lacking. Her speed was greater than Naruto but in the end she tired too quickly and he had the best of her.

Naruto blocked the girl’s charge and pushed her backwards with force. Sakura quickly found her footing while flying backwards and propelled herself upwards to another branch. Naruto easily moved below her branch and reached up to snatch her feet when she disappeared in a puff of cherry blossoms. “Hmph! Woman, I told you to quit doing that.”

He could hear Sakura’s laughter around him as his head turned from side to side trying to locate the direction her voice was coming from. Suddenly she appeared behind him and Naruto felt her hand grab his neck as he tried to turn to defend himself from his opponent.

“Looks like you’re still too slow, Naruto-chan.” Sakura grinned evilly as she brought her kunai up to his throat.

“Well unfortunately some of us had men obsessed with frogs train us. Frogs aren’t that fast.” Naruto scowled at his defeat. The only time that he was able to move at high speed was when he called upon the chakra of the demon inside of him, and he only saved that for life or death situations.

“Give up now?”

“Never!” Naruto exclaimed proudly.

“Oh well then I guess we’ll skip lunch. I wasn’t in the mood for ramen anyways…” Sakura dropped her hands from Naruto’s neck and gave off a fake dramatic sigh.

“Sakura, don’t even tease me.” Naruto sent a scolding look in Sakura’s direction.

“I’m not, come on. My treat!” She didn’t even have to ask twice, Naruto was already on his way to the restaurant.


The two teammates walked down into the restaurant and sat down at the bar. Sure they were both now jounins but they still preferred to accept missions in the same old team of Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi. Sadly, group missions were now coming few and far between and they could feel themselves beginning to lose touch with Sasuke.

The cook already knew what they wanted, and had begun on the order the second he saw Naruto walk through the door. There were conveniences to being a regular sometimes.

“Naruto, have you spoken to Sasuke lately?” Sakura played with her chopsticks and contemplated what the boy could be up to.

“He’s the same as ever. He doesn’t feel like gracing us with his splendid presence I suppose.” Naruto said this with obvious sarcasm. He still had some disdain for his rival. “The guy has no manners!”

Sasuke had ceased training with them when Sakura reached Jounin status a few months ago. She couldn’t possibly believe it was her promotion that caused this, but she couldn’t figure out what it could be either so she just let it go. He took a lot of solo missions now and they kept him away from town. Sakura was cold to him, she had given up pursuing the cold handsome boy years ago.

“I just worry about him.” She didn’t really. Stay gone.

“Don’t start that again…” Naruto groaned.

“No, not in that way you idiot.” Sakura sighed, she knew she would forever be teased for her childhood obsession with the great Uchiha heir.

They both sat patiently awaiting their food. Sakura wasn’t extremely hungry but she knew it was about time for nourishment…they had trained rough today.

“Speaking of missing teammates, where is Kakashi?” Naruto looked around the restaurant. He hadn’t expected to see him here and he couldn’t really reason with why he was looking around. Kakashi rarely came here unless it was for a drink at night.

“I think he told me that he had a mission and would be back in a few days,” Sakura stopped and counted the days on her fingers, “which should be today!” She grinned at the realization they could see their teacher again. She was itching to learn some new Genjutsu, and she still hadn’t seen that damn face.

“Still after the mask, Sakura?” Naruto’s laughter was quickly ceased with the act of ramen being fed into his mouth as the cook had just placed their dishes on their table.

“I’ll get it one day, you just watch!” Sakura was pretty confident on this manner. Sure it had been around seven years since she had first attempted to see his face, but that didn’t mean anything.

Naruto didn’t even bother in response as he choked down his food.

“At least stop to enjoy it!”

No response. Sakura sighed and slowly slurped her noodles. She saw Naruto finish up out of the corner of her eye.

“I’m going to run to the store, I totally need to restock my cabinets.” Naruto smiled with his not so quite full stomach.

“You just ate!” Sakura exclaimed.

“So?” Naruto laughed and bounced out of the restaurant leaving Sakura to finish her meal alone.

Once Sakura finished the last of her noodles she paid the cook and began walking towards her home. She still lived with her parents, as her family was close, but she was given an apartment style room with a separate entrance. It was entirely for the purpose of not disturbing them coming and going from missions in odd hours, she didn’t exactly have a love life to hide.

She walked down the road looking at her feet hit the rocks and spread them in different directions. A quick thought to herself about disturbing the rocks sleeping time made her laugh. Silly thoughts such as these were often.

Sakura had developed into a beautiful young woman. Her hair was worn long and fell to her mid back, but this time not to impress Sasuke. Her legs seemed to go on for miles, or so Naruto joked, and she was quite tall. Her figure had developed in a way that turned heads. She never tried to accent her features, but she still got the occasional old man with ulterior motives.

The two most eligible girls in town were her and Ino, and Sakura really didn’t care. Ino, however, used it to her full advantage. Sakura had ceased playing those games and had even handed Sasuke over. Actually she enjoyed watching Ino’s frustration in trying to seduce the dark haired jounin, as it never ever worked. Not even once.

“Sakura!”

Sakura turned her head to see who had called her name so close to her own apartment. She looked around the crowd and focused on Kakashi, who was waving with his hand above his head.

“You’re back! In one piece, I see. I assume things went well.” She turned around and quickened her step to a light jog to get to him.

“Just an escort mission, piece of cake.” Kakashi’s one exposed eye turned upwards slightly and Sakura could tell he was smiling. “I just reported in, I’m actually on my way to unwind at my place before tonight.”

“Tonight? You have to leave again?” Sakura had not heard of any events to take place tonight so she had assumed it was a mission.

“No, I just really want to hit the bar after that long and boring mission.”

“Would you like company?”

Kakashi looked at the girl suspiciously, “Ok you’re a year underage…and I won’t let you take advantage of me.”

Sakura stepped back shocked, “Take…advantage..?”

“You won’t see my face that easy, Sakura.” His one visible eye closed in what Sakura supposed was a wink.

“Kakashi!” Sakura screamed, “Don’t freak me out like that! Me take advantage of you?! What the hell were you thinking?!” She was making quite the scene and to conclude the dramatization she smacked him upside the head.

“Ow.” He said, rubbing the back of his head.

“You deserved it.” She turned away, pouting. “I was on my way home to relax and visit with mother. I haven’t spoken to her in a few days so I should be going.”

“Ok, but Sakura, one thing before you go.”

“Yes?”

“Where is Sasuke?” Kakashi lost his playful tone.

“You know just as well as I do, sensei.” Sakura replied coldly and continued her way on the walk to her home.


Sakura had been at home for several hours and the day was coming to an end. Her mother was sewing, a favourite hobby of hers, and Sakura had helped her out to pass the time. Her mother and she were great friends and Sakura didn’t have any idea what she would do without her.

“What are your plans for tonight dear?” Sakura’s mother didn’t even look up from her sewing machine when she asked.

“I don’t really have any, I’ll probably sleep early.”

“A popular girl like you has no plans?” The woman let out a small laugh as she teased her daughter.

“I’m not popular, mom. Quit that.”

“I’m not complaining either! The less popular my daughter is then the more she can help me out with my sewing, now come over here and cut this for me please.”

Sakura sighed and walked over to her mother. Sewing wasn’t her favourite thing in the world, and besides, she had enough training outfits already. Sakura had just found the scissors when there was a knock at the door.

“Go open it dear.”

Sakura obliged and walked lazily to the door to let in whom she assumed would be one of her mother’s annoying friends. Great, someone can help her sew.

The door was pulled open and to Sakura’s great surprise it wasn’t one of her mother’s friends. Standing there in a casual button down black shirt and pants was Kakashi. He of course was still sporting the trademark headband and mask.

“What are you doing here?” She asked.

Kakashi smirked and said sarcastically, “Well hello and yes I’d love to come in!”

Sakura stammered, “Oh god I’m sorry. You just surprised me, is all. Please come in.” She moved away leaving the door open and heading back to the table where she had placed the scissors.

“Kakashi! Hello young man.” Sakura’s mother actually took the time to look up to see the presumably handsome man, though no one could say for sure. “It’s nice to know that you stay so close to your students. I know most of the instructors just discard them after the rank exams are finished.”

Kakashi laughed, “Well I suppose they make good company. And I’m no longer a young man.” He looked over at Sakura who was still wearing her training garb, “Why aren’t you ready?”

“Ready?? For what!”

“That drink.”

“But! You said—“ Her explanation was cut off my his deep laughter, which she had to admit was sexy in a way.

Sakura, don’t think like that. Teacher. Student. OK? Not sexy, father figure.

“Fine I’ll be down in a moment. Bye mom!” Sakura ran out the front door into the entrance of her apartment on the ledge above to change into something more casual.

The clothing decided upon was a red Chinese cut top with her clan symbol on the back in a white circle. Her pants were simple white pants that hung loosely from her figure. She didn’t feel like showing off, it only asked for trouble. After she was all set she opened her apartment door to find Kakashi leaning against the railing right outside, waiting on her.

“I thought you said I couldn’t come.” She asked the older man leaning on the railing.

He looked up at her, “I only said you couldn’t take advantage of me.”

“I would never!”

Kakashi laughed and began to walk down the stairs, “Oh you and I both know you’d go to extreme measures to take this mask down and see my adorable face.”

“You have me figured out all wrong.” Sakura was making an attempt to defend herself even though she knew Kakashi actually had it all right down to the dot.

He remained silent as they walked and finally Sakura added, “Ok maybe you’re right. But ok, not tonight.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

Kakashi walked at the side of the young woman who was formerly his official student. Since she was now a jounin he was no longer required to teach her, but he chose to in his free time. She looked stunning in her outfit. He knew he shouldn’t stare.

“Hey, old man, where are we going?” Sakura tugged on his sleeve in question.

Kakashi coughed, “Old…man…?”

“You said it yourself just a few minutes ago so no scolding me! So where are we going?” Sakura skipped a little ahead of him.

As they rounded the corner the small restaurant that Sakura had eaten at earlier came into view. Kakashi held the curtain aside for her as she entered.

“Well that answers my question.” Sakura surveyed the room and spotted Naruto in a corner table. “Naruto!” She threw her arm up and waved at him as they headed his direction.

Sakura sat next to Naruto and Kakashi took his seat on the opposite side of the table. Kakashi called for a bottle of sake and Sakura settled on a simple appetizer dish for she was still full from the ramen a few hours earlier.

“Such a coincidence meeting you here Naruto. I thought you would be at home eating your Cup Ramen you just bought.” She gave him a curious look.

“Kakashi asked me to come!” Naruto piped up, a noodle hanging out of his mouth. Handsome, but he was still a goof.

Sakura looked at Kakashi and he nodded, “Well I wanted to catch up with my students,” he smiled, “and I wanted to ask you two about Sasuke.”

Suddenly Sakura tensed up and she felt that Kakashi noticed it.

“Sorry Sakura.” He offered his apologies for the tender subject that shouldn’t be avoided.

“Oh nothing is wrong!” She smiled and brushed it off. She didn’t miss him, she preferred him gone.

Kakashi was given his bottle of sake as he asked his next question, “Where the hell is he?”

“We thought he was on a mission, did you check with Tsunade?” Naruto offered.

“Yes, he hasn’t been reporting for any missions. The last one he did was completed over a month ago, and we have no clue where he could have ran off to, or why.” Kakashi had a concerned look in his eye. The Uchiha boy was very valuable to Konoha and if he fell into the wrong hands there could be dire consequences. Many ninjas would give the lives of their own families to possess the knowledge of the sharigan. Of course Kakashi was not expecting Sasuke to be had so easily, and with his strange behavior as of late he figured he had just run off on his own.

Sakura looked down at the table, not speaking. This didn’t sound good and she really didn’t want to deal with any more frustration brought on by the boy. It really was a waste of energy, she concluded.

“He’s been acting really weird lately.” Naruto noted. “I mean I wouldn’t put it past him to up and disappear for a month at a time. The only word Sakura and I get out of him anymore is ‘hmph’.”

It wasn’t the complete truth, Sakura knew. He had shared words with her. She hadn’t told anyone, it was no ones business but her own. She had to say something, though… “Ino says they got in a fight.”

Naruto choked on his ramen, “Ino and Sasuke aren’t together! Sasuke doesn’t speak much but he did tell me how bloody annoying she is.”

“Did she really tell you that, Sakura?” Kakashi asked, looking in her direction.

The pink haired girl tensed up even more at the further inquiry. She now decided she should have just kept quiet. She couldn’t lie to Kakashi, not about this. “No…” She said softly.

Everyone was silent for a moment waiting for her to elaborate on her false statement, however, she never did. Instead she rose to her feet, not making eye contact with either man at the table, “I’m not feeling well, I think I’ll head home.”

Kakashi and Naruto watched her walk out of the restaurant with her gaze to the floor. This was highly unusual for Sakura as she usually held her head up high with confidence. Neither spoke or made any attempt to stop her.

“Kakashi you should go see.” Naruto poked him with a chopstick.

“She’s more likely to tell you what is going on.” Kakashi nodded in a way that implied for him to get up and go after the girl.

“Don’t get me wrong…I’m worried about her…but I’m still eating.”

“Naruto, you are hopeless.” Kakashi said as he stood up from the table to go after Sakura. He waved in apology to the waiter and yelled something about Naruto paying for it. He really did wonder what kind of nerve he had struck in Sakura. Even earlier in the day when he had asked her about him she had gone cold and ran off. Surely it wasn’t that she was still obsessed with the Uchiha.

Outside a breeze had picked up and Kakashi picked up his pace towards the direction of Sakura’s house. To his surprise she wasn’t there, and her mother hadn’t seen her. Where else would she go? It was dark and most of the shops were closed. He decided to go check the cherry blossom trees, where she spent all her time training. Vaguely a memory of Naruto saying that was her favourite spot came to mind.

He was not completely surprised when he found her there on the edge of the trees, sitting on one of the top branches of a tree and staring at the stars. He quietly walked up behind her. Sneaking up on her wasn’t his intention, and he wasn’t attempting it. She knew he was there.

“Kakashi I don’t want you to tell anyone.” Sakura spoke suddenly without turning her head to look at the older man.

“You have my word.” In a quick gust of wind he appeared on the branch next to her. Instead of looking at his student he shared the view of the sky with her.

“The night before Sasuke went missing…he…he…” Kakashi could hear the girl beside him lightly start to cry as she huddled her knees up to her chest.

If this didn’t beat all, what the hell was he supposed to do with her now that she was crying? He wasn’t any good with these things. “I’m here, Sakura.”

“I know but god it’s hard Kakashi, I didn’t think he would…” She began to cry harder and Kakashi moved over to sit next to her and he wrapped his arm around her, pulling her in to cry on his shoulder.

“What happened?”

“He tried to…tried to…well and I pushed him away,” she said between cries, “he wouldn’t leave and I cut his face with the kunai I keep near my bed. I didn’t want to… I ran away without looking back and stayed at Naruto’s. He didn’t know what was going on, I didn’t tell him. The next morning Sasuke was gone.”

Kakashi nodded, “I’m sorry Sakura…” he squeezed her tight in comfort and looked down to see her tear streaked face looking up at him.

“I don’t know why…Kakashi, I really don’t. I don’t love him and I never did!” She proclaimed rather boldly. “He just came over to my place while I was sleeping…”

“You were sleeping?” Kakashi said in shock. Had they been on a date he might could write it off on Sasuke being a lack of a gentleman…but coming into Sakura’s room uninvited was a different story.

“I’m glad he left. I wouldn’t feel safe if he were still here.”

Kakashi looked down at his former student as she cried into his arm. He knew it wasn’t a pleasant thing for a woman to go through, even if she got away…and for it to be from her teammate and life long friend must have made it even harder. Her pink hair was beginning to fall loose from her bun and onto his arm. Unconsciously he reached up with his other hand and slipped some of the fallen locks through his fingers.

She’s beautiful…

“Sakura, I’m your teacher, right? I’m supposed to keep you safe.” He hugged her out of friendship, “I promise as long as I am here you will be.”
An Impossible Mission by CandyElly
I must give credit to my boyfriend for helping me write the sparring scene in this chapter! He did an awesome job ^^ I’ll probably recruit him to help me write all my future fights too, lol.

----

Sakura woke with the sun shining through the window above her bed. All too quickly the memories of last night’s events came rushing back to her. With a groan she rolled back over and pulled the covers over her head of pink.

She had told Kakashi everything…well almost everything. Truth be told she had promised to herself that she would never speak of what happened between her and Sasuke. There were many reasons. First of all she had pride and in some way the fact that Sasuke had taken advantage of her, or attempted to, hurt that pride. Secondly, she didn’t want to upset Ino. Ino was her friend once more since she had given up her advances on the Uchiha boy.

Why would Sasuke do such a thing? It was a question that had ran through her mind many times in the past month. Sure, Sasuke was extremely hard to read as he expressed interest in nothing other than becoming stronger…but attempted rape didn’t seem like something he could bring himself to do. Sasuke was the most handsome man in the village; he could get almost anyone with just his glance…why had he come after her?

It was Friday morning and time to report in with Tsunade about this week’s progress. She had only done three simple C-rank missions…it seemed a calm time for Konoha and she was getting tired of the boring missions. A difficult mission that could take her mind off of daily Konoha life would be greatly welcomed.

Unwillingly, Sakura threw off the covers and pushed herself out of bed. Surely the event with Sasuke bothered her still but she had learned to deal with it. He didn’t succeed after all. Besides, she had a report to make before lunchtime. Receiving a new mission was causing anticipation within her…hopefully things would pick up again.

A warm shower put a calm to her thoughts. She got dressed in her normal red training dress and black shorts, feeling slightly refreshed. The crying she had done last night was long needed, and the confession. Unfortunately, she was nervous about running into Kakashi today. What would he think? What if he didn’t keep her secret?

Sakura exited the front door of her apartment and absorbed the warm rays of sun that welcomed her. Breakfast was a necessity before she would get to work so she made her way quickly down the stairs and into her mother’s kitchen without bothering to knock.

No one was up yet, not a surprise. The life of a ninja happened to be quite an early one. Opening the cabinets to find a less than satisfying selection, the pink haired ninja decided on cereal.

Ah, the glamorous life of a Jounin!

Taking her time on her breakfast, Sakura planned out her day. After the report she would probably get some lunch and then train for the remainder of the day unless Tsunade had something important for her to do. It was also Friday and she had no plans yet for the evening. Perhaps she would make a call upon Ino. All this time being spent with Naruto made her crave a little bit of girl talk.

-----

“Frankly put, I’m a little bored. I’m a Jounin now and for the past month I’ve been given missions no different than when I was a Genin.” Sakura directed the statement to the woman in front of her, the Hokage.

“Do you want Konoha to be peaceful, Sakura?”

“Yes, Tsunade, I do.”

“Then do not complain over your missions as of late.”

With a sigh Sakura admitted that the powerful woman was right. Peaceful time meant peaceful missions, she should be grateful.

“Sakura,” Tsunade regained the young girl’s attention, “there is something I would like you to do that requires great responsibility.” The way the mission was introduced had Sakura excited.

“As you know, Sasuke is missing…”

No… oh god no… Sakura felt her body tense as a reaction and her hands visibly clenched at her sides…her eyes changed from a calming green to a furious expression.

“…and if he fell into the wrong hands another war could be started. This is an ANBU and Jounin rank mission so I will be sending an ANBU ranked individual with you. I have chosen you as leader of this mission for you know Uchiha Sasuke better than anyone in Konoha and would most likely have the greatest chance in succeeding. You will leave Monday morning.”

Sakura remained silent for a short time, unable to think, speak, or move. “I cannot do that, Tsunade.” The girl spoke softly.

“Why is this?”

“Because I do not want to find him! I do not want him in Konoha!” Sakura admitted.

“Can you elaborate as to why?” Tsunade looked at the girl curiously, wondering what must have happened between the two. The last time she had seen them Sakura was still head over heals for the boy. However, if there was a conflict between them, this might work out better than she had initially thought.

“No, I can not. All I can say is he left on his own will and will not accept a request to return.”

“This is unacceptable Sakura. You will use all of your abilities, including your own charm, to return Uchiha Sasuke to Konoha.” Tsunade made a note on the mission report in front of her, “You leave Monday at 7am. Kakashi will assist you.”

“Please, Tsunade! Send someone else.” Sakura pleaded to the older woman.

“You are a Jounin, accept your duties!” A stern voice was emitted from Tsunade, shocking Sakura slightly.

“Send Naruto, he knows Sasuke! They were best friends!” She was yelling now, still pleading.

“Sasuke doesn’t love Naruto, he loves you.”

“He doesn’t love me, and I despise him.” Sakura spoke frankly.

“I don’t know what happened between you two, but you will put it behind you for the extent of this mission.”

“He’s dangerous!”

“Which is why he can not be let to fall into another countries hands.”

There was no winning, Sakura realized. She was stuck on this mission and she knew that the Hokage was right with her explanations…Sasuke was best known by her, even if that wasn’t saying much.

“Please rethink this, Hokage-sama.” Sakura bowed politely to the woman and turned to make her leave from the room.

Upon exiting the room Sakura found Kakashi standing outside, waiting on her. It was a kind gesture on his part…he must have already received his mission. The memories of his words last night made her heart beat quicken, causing her to blush.

The silver-haired ANBU member was casually leaning up against the wall reading that damned perverted book he always carried around. Shows where his mind stays…Sakura thought.

“Kakashi, we leave Monday at 7am…or will you be late? Should we make it 9?” Sakura smirked at the man who hadn’t even noticed her presence.

“What about noon?” He laughed sheepishly. Noted was the fact that Sakura had come out looking completely normal, all tension had subsided. He was expecting her to come out a nervous wreck at receiving her mission. The mission had been given to him by Tsunade earlier and he had remained faithful to Sakura and kept the true nature of Sasuke’s disappearance to himself.

“Let’s make it 8…so we won’t be too off schedule.”

“Ah.” Kakashi muttered, agreeing. “Hey…Sakura, you ok?”

“I’m fine!” A quick smile flashed across Sakura’s face. In truth Sakura didn’t really feel fine, but she was stuck on this mission and might as well make the best of it. What had happened last night would become a one-time deal, she couldn’t show such weakness…that was to be left for her Genin days.

Sakura looked out the window to her left and estimated it to be around one o’clock. The meeting had taken longer than she expected and she had missed lunch. This didn’t upset her much because she still wasn’t hungry… the best option would be to go ahead and start her daily training.

“Kakashi-sensei!”

The person in demand lifted his nose up from his book…barely. “Eh?”

“Would you like to spar with me? I’m getting tired of Naruto, I’m winning too much.” She was being honest, at least.

“I’m sensing some strings attached to this…and I thought Jiraiya taught him better than that.” Kakashi eyed the girl in front of him suspiciously.

“Well I’ve been training a lot since you left on all those missions…” She winked, “Let’s just settle on if I win, I get to see your face.” A teasing smile was flashed at the older man.

“Deal. You’ll never win.” Kakashi stood up straight, shoving his book in his pocket. “Where to?”

“The cherry blossom trees…it’s so beautiful there.” Sakura walked off and Kakashi quickly followed her, giving no objection.

As they walked, Sakura thought to herself the possible outcomes of the mission that lay before her. She didn’t know how she would even get started because for one she didn’t even know where to even start looking for Sasuke. What if he didn’t want to see her? This was most likely the case too…and it wouldn’t make the mission that easy.

It baffled Sakura as to why Tsunade chose to only send two ninjas on this mission to retrieve Sasuke. There were no leads at all and the likeliness of her or Kakashi picking up on one seemed slim. There had to be some sort of logic behind it, but Sakura definitely could not figure it out.

Sakura also thought of herself. The excitement of a new mission was sinking in, but then it was Sasuke…the turmoil of this mission would be good mental strengthening, she supposed. Not that she wanted to face it, but it might be inevitable.

If they managed to find Sasuke, Sakura decided she would treat it purely as a business matter and not let her pain show. On the other extreme, if they didn’t find him, she could return to Konoha and continue a happy life without even thinking twice. She knew over this weekend she needed to prepare her emotions for this journey ahead. A true ninja did not let such petty things get in the way of their missions.

Tsunade assigned this mission so I would strengthen emotionally…I’ve always been weak with my emotions…

Suddenly, Sakura knew. Tsunade had assigned only her and Kakashi to this mission so it would be more likely that Sakura would have to face Sasuke head on. If there had been many Jounin around her, she could easily just stand in the background and observe everything. The only way Sakura would get something out of this mission is if she were the only one in control. The goal was to swallow her pride and find the man she now despised.

“Yo, Sakura. Are you there?” Kakashi leaned to poke Sakura lightly on the shoulder. They had reached the cherry blossom trees already and she seemed not to even realize it.

“Oh! I’m sorry, I was just thinking about how to start off the mission.” The girl replied, blushing at being caught in such deep thought. She looked around and noticed they were already at the trees.

“Are you sure you are okay with this?” Kakashi spoke sincerely.

Smiling, Sakura replied, “I’m fine, sensei. I’m merely going to consider this emotional training! After all I believe that is why Tsunade didn’t reassign me after my initial reaction.”

“Good point, it might actually do some good. Cry-baby.”

“Kakashi!!!” Playing as she was offended, Sakura took a step back and then did a double take to charge at him, starting the match.

Kakashi easily dodged and appeared behind her, “I was wondering when we were going to start, or if we were just gonna talk all day.”

He slightly cupped his foot in around Sakura’s, throwing her off balance. Reaching into his pocket he nudged Sakura with his elbow finally tripping her. She stumbled forward, noticing that he was exploring his pockets.

Heh, a kunai match? She thought to herself then smiled, assuming Kakashi was going to take her seriously. Throwing her left hand down, she caught her balance and sprung back to her feet pulling out her kunai. She awaited Kakashi with anticipation.

“Ahh… what page was I on?” Kakashi amusingly comments as he flips through the pages of Violent Sexy No Jutsu Paradise Vol. 2.

Sakura’s mouth dropped. He pulled out that stupid book?! Her grip on the kunai tightened fiercely as her anger rose. Quickly she threw her kunai at him followed by two more from her other hand. Kakashi effortlessly ducked out of the way only to catch Sakura’s quick left foot as she attempted to kick him.

“Pervert!!” Sakura yelled.

“Heh, your speed has improved,” Kakashi spoke without looking away from his book or acknowledging her accusation. This infuriated Sakura even more.

Sakura bent her knees in and threw her right hand in an uppercut motion towards Kakashi’s book. He moved his hand and with Sakura’s momentum she had built, she launched her right foot under Kakashi’s chin, flipping herself, only to slightly graze the older man’s face as he leaned back.

As she landed she saw that Kakashi only went back to reading his book, leaned back in the position he had left himself. Sakura knew that she could not beat him by rushing at him, he seemed to have a third eye watching her from somewhere while he read the perverted book. She grinned as a flawless solution came to mind.

Grinning to herself, Sakura reached into her pouch and threw a smoke bomb at her own feet. Kakashi only glanced at her and sighed. What in bloody hell does she think she’s doing?

Suddenly, Sakura burst through the smoke with four kunai, two in each hand. With great force she threw two kunai at Kakashi forcing him to jump back. Following this, she aimed the other two kunai at his feet making him jump to his left. Just as he landed he moved his head to the motion at his feet and saw a kunai in the ground with a smoke bomb attached, followed by a loud blast as the bomb exploded.

The smoke cleared and Kakashi was still standing reading his book in his right hand, his left hand had predicted Sakura’s movements and caught her in her stomach as she rushed at him. A look of great pain and question crossed Sakura’s face.

She may have gotten faster, but really that strategy could use some work. Kakashi thought to himself. Perhaps he’d train her a little more. All of a sudden an unexpected kunai flashed to his right causing him to abruptly dodge. He regained his footing quickly and looked over at the Sakura he had stopped only to see a cloud of cherry blossom petals. Ok well maybe I’m wrong. He quickly moved his gaze to the right, taking in the sight of his former student. She was standing there with a smile on her face, giggling in pride of tripping him up. How cute…

Kakashi threw a look of puzzle in Sakura’s direction, ”I still dodged your Kunai, what are you giggling about?”

Sakura just continued to stand there smiling, not attempting a move in any direction. Her lack of movement puzzled Kakashi…until he heard a small crackling sound. A quick pain shot from his right hand as the book he was holding exploded, the pages flying into the wind and quickly turning to ash.

That’s what you get for being a pervert, Copy-Ninja Kakashi… Sakura thought as she stood there grinning.

A tear fell from the strong man’s right eye. Kakashi screamed as he grabbed his hair in frustration, “My book… he was just about to…” Kakashi brought his face back up to glare at Sakura, showing an eye creased in anger.

Oh shit, I didn’t think he’d take it this bad! Sakura took a step back from the man, wondering what he could have in mind. Though he does look kind of cute when he’s angry…

A blast sounded as Kakashi threw a smoke bomb at his own feet. Sakura looked at the smoke in anticipation and fear, unprepared for what she would see.

Bright blue streaks of light began gracing the clouds of smoke before the young girl.
“Chidori?” she gasped. “But no major Jutsu’s are supposed to be used for….”

”Silence you fool!” Kakashi bellowed from the smoke. The smoke vanished as Kakashi charged from the smoke with his Chidori, his eyes locking with Sakura’s in a fierce gaze.

Sakura prepared for the worst as Kakashi charged, nearly jumping out of her skin when she felt a tug at her right foot. A hand? Within a moment the charging Kakashi vanished and in his place leaves fell. Sakura could feel her body being pulled into the ground, unable to make any move to stop it.

Suddenly she was let go and she fell backwards onto the grass. Kakashi appeared in front of her and pinned her down with force, “So…” he said smiling through his mask. “I believe you owe me a book.”

“Like hell I do!” The girl yelled fiercely as she struggled to release her body from his grip.

“I win. No face for you.”

“Let me up!” Sakura glared at the handsome man.

“I might as well, since in five minutes you destroyed my only dear possession!” Kakashi released his grip and stood over her. Sakura quickly shuffled to her feet, staring at him.

“That was uncalled for! You scared the shit out of me!” Yelling, she turned her back on him and began walking towards the town.

“And…?” Laughing softly, he watched the young woman gracefully walk away. It was odd but somehow he could read a pout in the way her hips swayed as she walked.

Sakura could feel his gaze on her, “Kakashi, I know you’re looking at my ass.”

“You planted a bomb in my book, I need something to occupy me.” If only she had seen the expression under his mask…it would have given the fact away that he would have stared whether the book was gone or not.

“Pervert.” Sakura said as she rose up her right hand in a wave.

Kakashi stood in the grove of cherry blossom trees, regretfully watching her walk away.

Damn that girl…

----
What Friends are For by CandyElly
Sakura and Ino looked at each other over a cup of coffee, wishing it had been a little bit more than coffee. The girls hadn’t seen each other for a while, yet still they didn’t have too much to update each other with.

“Sakura, when do you turn 20?” Ino just couldn’t come out and ask when it was okay to drink booze.

“Just two weeks now…and I’ll probably be gone on a mission for it.” Sakura sighed into her cup; she wouldn’t have minded a small celebration to mark her as an adult.

“Lucky! I still have another four months on me. I didn’t realize you were older.”

“Always have been, Ino.” Sakura threw a wink at the girl across the table.

“So what mission is this? That’s awful you will be gone. Maybe I can throw you a party when you get back.”

“Top secret, Ino! But I’ll be gone with Kakashi, so it won’t be too desolate.”

“You trust that old pervert enough to drink around him?” Ino asked in mock shock, teasing Sakura.

Sakura laughed, “Well he isn’t Jiraiya, you know. And who said I was drinking?”

“Well it’s your twentieth birthday! You have to drink. And who knows, he might be kind of sexy under that mask.” An evil grin spread over Ino’s face, “Oooh, Sakura-chan! Is he sexy? I bet you’ve seen him.”

“Actually, I haven’t seen him. I’ve tried everything short of seducing him and to no avail.”

“You have to be kidding! You two are practically attached at the hip sometimes. Much closer than my sensei was.” Ino raised an eyebrow, “Sakura…?”

“And what exactly are you insinuating?” Sakura glared slightly at Ino.

“For someone who got such great marks in school you certainly are dense!”

“Ino! Well it’s better than you Miss I-can’t-leave-for-training-without-wearing-slinky-lingerie!”

“Hey! I only did that because I was trying to capture someone’s attention!”

“You did it for two years!”

“It didn’t work anyway.” Ino glanced down at the table, pouting.

“Eh?” Sakura asked, curiously.

“He went elsewhere.”

“Well Ino, you can’t make up your mind. I mean one minute you’re in love with Sasuke…” Saying his name stung Sakura somewhat, but she did not make it noticeable, “and the next minute you are trying to seduce Shikamaru. He probably just isn’t taking you seriously.”

“I resent that. There is nothing wrong with having a backup plan!”

“Shikamaru was your back up plan? No wonder he didn’t fall for it. You get yourself in over your head!”

“So how is training?” Ino purposely changed the subject. She didn’t feel like being beaten down with honesty tonight.

Sakura ignored her as her eyes caught a figure walking through the doorway. Ino noticed her gaze and turned around to see Kakashi walking into the restaurant. She laughed quietly to herself as she waved to get his attention.

Smiling underneath his mask, Kakashi walked over to their table. He was meeting Genma for a drink but the other Jounin had not made his appearance yet. Obviously he had gathered Kakashi would be late, and decided to be later.

“Hello Ino, Sakura.” He nodded to them.

“Have a seat, Kakashi!” Ino welcomed him, wrapping her foot around Kakashi’s leg, pushing him in the direction to sit next to Sakura.

Sakura laughed as Kakashi seemed to fall back into the chair next to her. She hadn’t seen Ino’s feet at work.

Signaling the bartender, Kakashi ordered sake. He then looked curiously over at Ino, wondering what the girl was up to. He didn’t know her well enough to figure out her intentions; he just knew she was quite popular with the men, even though she was still a Chuunin. Actually, it was probably why she was still a Chuunin.

Ino leaned forward, batting her eyelashes and not so subtly giving Kakashi a divine view of her cleavage, “Kakashi-san…”

“Hm?” What in the earth could this girl be up to?

“That mask of yours, Kakashi…what would you take it off for?” A slight smirk turned her lips upwards.

He should have known, she was trying to use her charm for the mask. “Eating, drinking, shower…sometimes when I sleep.”

Ino fumed inside from the bland answer. Sakura had been expecting such and just laughed. Kakashi was definitely the kind of guy who grew on you.

“I’m meeting Genma here for a drink,” Kakashi admitted, “if that’s not okay I can move.”

“It’s fine with me,” Sakura smiled, “The more the merrier?”

“Something like that,” Kakashi smirked.

“We were just talking about how Sakura’s training was going! She wouldn’t open her mouth though, do you know Kakashi?” Ino piped up, trying to get some dirt on the other girl.

Kakashi looked over at Sakura with a glare, “She’s terrible.”

“Kakashi!” Sakura reached up and smacked the back of his head.

“I beat her every time and her speed really is lacking. She should train harder…” Kakashi paused, thinking of something else witty to say to rile the girl up. She was so cute when she was angry. “Actually! Sakura, since your speed needs to improve, Gai would be the perfect sensei for you. I’ll arrange something.”

Inner Sakura screamed and ripped her hair out as Kakashi smiled innocently in her direction. She was getting ready to throw his wits right back at him when an attractive woman approached the table, brushing her hand across Kakashi’s shoulder.

Sakura cleared her throat.

“Kakashi, dear. I’ve been wondering when I would see you again.” The woman gave her sexiest smile to him. “I’ve missed you darling.”

“Well I’ve been busy on missions, my dearest apologies.” The tone of Kakashi’s voice was deep and seductive.

Sakura noticed her fist was clenched at her side. Kakashi really was a ladies man after all. Ino hadn’t just been teasing.

“You have as many women as Ino has men!” Sakura spit out.

The woman looked at Kakashi in suspicion, “I need to be going, see you around dear.” She walked out of the restaurant, not turning to look back.

Both Ino and Kakashi were glaring at the innocent appearing girl sharing the table with them.

“Sakura…” Kakashi spoke first.

“Pervert!” She proclaimed.

“Sakura!!!” Ino eyes could have burned a hole right through the girl across from her.

“I’m sorry, did I ruin your night of fun?” She grinned evilly at Kakashi, reaching into her pouch to pull out Sexy no Jutsu Volume 3.

Ino looked at the two of them. Kakashi’s glare had turned into a look of ecstasy. “Those two are weird…” she muttered under her breath.

“I suppose you would be wanting this.” Sakura dangled the book by the front cover in front of Kakashi’s eyes.

“Yes, I would…since you stole my last one!” Kakashi grabbed the book from the girl’s hand.

Ino choked on the sip of coffee she was taking. This was way too much information for her.

“You’re nothing but a dirty old pervert!” Sakura yelled at Kakashi.

“You’re the one that stole my book!”

“I didn’t steal it! I blew it up!”

“I think I may have come at a bad time…I’ll be off now!” Genma had approached the table and quickly turned right back around.

“Genma! No! Stay, please?” Ino batted her eyelashes at the jounin when he turned back around. He shrugged and took the empty spot next to her.

Kakashi refused to admit what had happened today at training and as much as Sakura tried to explain he would deny it. After a while of listening to all the incessant rambling between the two, Genma decided to strike up a conversation with Ino and much to his surprise he found her to be a very attractive young woman.

Two bottles of sake later for the men and two more cups of coffee for the women, Sakura called it a night. Ino offered to walk with her home since they lived on neighboring streets.

The two men were alone when Genma spoke, “I haven’t seen you tease anyone like that since—“

“I know.” Kakashi abruptly cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

“What is up with you Kakashi?” He had to admit he found his friend’s behavior somewhat odd. Especially odd in the fact that a woman had been staring at him from the bar all night long and he hadn’t so much as even returned a glance.

The nice buzz Kakashi had from the sake was beginning to wear off so he explained to Genma that he was going to retire for the night, avoiding the question.

“Sure, whatever bud, but remember. Women are devils.” A stern look came from Genma.

“They are, aren’t they?”

------------


Stopping in front of her home, Sakura noticed that her parent’s light was still on in the main house. It was late for them, but she figured she better tell them about the mission before they made plans for her.

“Mom! Dad!” Sakura pulled open the door to see her parents fussing over her mothers sewing. Again! And how her mother had trained her father to do all the small work for her, she would never know.

“Sakura, sweetie! Hello.” Sakura’s father looked up from the pile of cloth on his lap.

“I just stopped by to tell you that I’ll be leaving on a mission Monday morning, and I will probably be gone for two weeks or more.” Two weeks was optimal, but she didn’t want to worry her parents.

“Oh dear I hope it isn’t dangerous.” Sakura’s mother looked at her worriedly.

So much for not worrying them.

“She’s a ninja! She specializes in dangerous situations, Nodoka.” Her father stood up for her.

“Yes, but still I can worry. What is the mission?”

Sakura moved to the table, pulling at a chair to sit in and facing it in her parent’s direction. “Well, you know I can’t tell you. But I just have to go find someone, is all.” She trusted her parents not to gossip about her, so she would always let them in on the nature of the mission.

Nodoka sighed, “It’s that Uchiha boy, isn’t it?”

Damn…Sakura thought. How had she known? Sakura remained silent, she didn’t really want to come out and say it.

“He’s nothing but trouble for you, Sakura. I want you to be careful.”

“It’s okay mother. I’m not going alone, Kakashi will be with me.” Sakura was reassuring herself as well as her mother. She trusted Kakashi…he had told her he would protect her.

“I don’t want you coming home upset!”

“I won’t be, mom! I’m over him and I was a long time ago.”

“That is why I’m worried, Sakura.” Nodoka knew her daughter well enough to know that something had been wrong for the past month. She had also heard around town that Sasuke had been missing for around that same amount of time. Two and two were put together rather easily. Sakura wasn’t sad, though…she seemed bothered. So it definitely wasn’t that she was sad because he was missing…she figured it was more like she was bothered by the reason he left.

“I’ll be careful, I promise.” Sakura stood and turned to walk to the door. “I’m feeling sleepy, I’m going to go up to my apartment!” She flashed a smile with her little white lie. She had had three cups of coffee, she was going to be wired all night. It was okay though, she had meant it this way. It gave her more time to think.

“We love you, dear! Make us proud!” Sakura’s father beamed from his place next to his wife.

“I love you too.” Sakura closed the door behind her, taking a breath of cool fresh air as she walked the stairs to her apartment. Looking up at the stars the memories of nights before consumed her.

“Please protect me…” she whispered as she fumbled for her keys and walked into her apartment.


----------
And if you are wondering how Kakashi drank his sake without taking his mask off… I can’t figure that out either. Let’s just say he’s magic…he is Kakashi, after all.
Hopes and Dreams by CandyElly
Yay! Plot begins and Elly is very happy and excited to write now! ^^ And yes, I know Sakura’s birthday is inaccurate. My apologies but I didn’t put two and two together until now

-------

It was the same old bridge they had been meeting since she was first appointed a Genin. It was also the same old bridge that Kakashi had been late arriving to since she was first appointed a Genin. It was 9am, where was he? Even when she moved the time backwards he was late! Really now, she was fairly certain his only reason for doing it was to keep up his reputation.

The only thing the extra wait did was give Sakura even more time to think, and she didn’t need that. The weekend had been pretty uneventful and it seemed like all she did was think and train. She had dinner with Naruto on Saturday and he was upset that she was leaving…he was more upset that he hadn’t been assigned the mission though. Sakura simply told him that he had got to try to get Sasuke back the first time, and now it was her turn. She would gladly given up her position to him had she been able to.

With a poof Kakashi appeared next to Sakura. Judging by the suns position it was around 10am. Well it wasn’t his worst…she had to admit that.

“Sorry, I overslept.”

Sakura nearly choked, “Wow a logical excuse, the world may end.”

Leaning over, Sakura grabbed the bag she had packed with her necessities and several changes of clothes. It wasn’t too heavy, she hadn’t required very much. Her usual training outfit would do most likely, but she did pack some clothes for a cooler climate. It was almost December after all.

“I figure we would stop at Otafuku first.” He spoke, taking initiative in the mission. Sakura didn’t argue as it matched up with her idea perfectly. Otafuku was a logical first stop. After all, the city was a hotspot for gambling, boozing, and underground crime. Sasuke might not have seemed the type but they were sure they could pick up some sort of leads. They highly doubted he had settled in a cabin on the countryside.

They traveled for hours in the treetops with only short rests. Nothing was really rushing them, but they didn’t see any reason to make the trip to Otafuku leisurely either. They had made it many times before for various missions and it was nothing special anymore.

It was nearing around 6pm when Sakura felt as if she could not move any longer. The sun was beginning to set and they were still a good half-day from the city. She knew Kakashi could keep going but she didn’t think she could last another half hour even if they slowed the pace. Her legs had began to hurt hours ago and at this point they were beginning to numb.

“Kakashi, can we stop for the night? It’s beginning to grow dark.” Sakura voiced over to her comrade.

He nodded in agreement. He had been waiting for her to say something; he was actually quite surprised that she had made it this far. His path changed directions as he lowered towards the ground to scout out a spot to build camp for the night. There was a river near by, he could hear it, and he made his way over.

Sakura nearly collapsed as she sat down on the forest floor. Her legs were so weak and she knew she had overdone it. Optimally she should have stopped over one hour ago.

Kakashi eyed the girl near him and noticed her obvious fatigue. He silently blamed himself for not checking her stamina as they were traveling. It had been a while since they had traveled such a distance together and last time she had only made it six hours before needing a lengthy rest. It had to be noted, however, that she had improved greatly in many areas from what he had witnessed.

After starting a fire and catching some rather skinny fish Kakashi settled down at the camp with Sakura. The weather was quite chilly once the sun set behind the forest, and Sakura unpacked the small blanket she had brought along with her. They both sat at the campfire in silence. Kakashi had been quiet today and Sakura could not gather why. Nothing had happened over the weekend and she couldn’t possibly imagine that anything would be bothering him. She was probably just worrying too much…they were both just exhausted and that was that.

“Hey, Kakashi?” The quiet was killing her and she craved to strike up a conversation with the man across from her.

“Yes?” He looked up from the fire in her direction. She had wrapped the blanket around her with only her pink head of hair popping out of it. How cute…

“I know why you’re always late.”

Kakashi raised an eyebrow, wondering what had brought this topic up.

“You know you don’t have to worry about your reputation with me.”

He smiled. She had him figured out after all, “Maybe I’m trying to make an impression.”

“I believe you had made one on me a while ago.” She smiled in his direction, not understanding the true meaning of his statement. He just returned her smile, not taking the conversation any further.

Several minutes passed in more silence until Sakura spoke again, “Kakashi?”

“Hm?” He said, this time not looking up. The warmth on his face felt too good to sacrifice. A blanket had been one of the only things he forgot to pack.

“Have I changed?” Sakura asked him bluntly.

Well now he had to look up…she seemed to want a serious conversation, “Changed?”

“Just in general, have I changed? Not appearance…but me.” Sakura spoke as she pulled the blanket in tighter around her. This was a product of all that time spent thinking over the weekend.

“All three of you changed. You’ve matured, Sakura. I think you left Naruto behind a few years ago in that department, even if he did improve some.”

Sakura laughed, “I suppose I did.”

“And there is no judging to what extent Sasuke has changed, since he seemed to quit speaking.”

“He changed.” Sakura replied.

“I don’t see how he couldn’t have.” Kakashi mentally noted Sasuke’s return from Orochimaru’s and how different things had been since then. He could never tell what was going on in the boys mind since he was back. What he did to Sakura, though…Kakashi wouldn’t have thought him capable of it.

“We’ve all changed. But still, there is something that bothers me.” She made eye contact with the man across from her, noticing he was shivering slightly. Ah, the fool didn’t bring a blanket! She suddenly felt bad for him.

Kakashi didn’t say anything in response…he politely waited for her to continue without edging her on. Sakura hadn’t spoken seriously with him in a long while, not since she had become Jounin.

“Look at Naruto, he still dreams to be Hokage. Sasuke still dreams for revenge. Hinata and Neji dream for peace in their family. I mean, even Ino has dreams.”

“Dreams are a common thing that drive us.” He replied.

“Yes, but…” She remained silent for a few seconds, “I don’t live for a dream anymore.” Her voice was beginning to get a little weak as she made the confession. She didn’t want to cry, she had promised herself that she wouldn’t. “Back then I lived for Sasuke…he was my dream.”

Another short period of silence passed between the two ninjas as the glow from the fire illuminated their surroundings in the dark of the night.

“But as I grew up I realized he wasn’t worth my dream. Since then, I never found another. I don’t dream for peace, I don’t dream for a title. Everyone I know has a dream, yet I don’t.”

Kakashi was giving Sakura his full attention, yet he was still shivering from the cold. She nodded for him to move over to her and unwrapped herself from the blanket to make enough room for two. He obliged, scooting his way to the opposite side of the fire without standing. They sat close, their legs touching, and she covered the two of them with the blanket.

“I don’t have a dream, either, Sakura.” Kakashi admitted. The warmth was beginning to sink into him more and he fought the urge to move in closer to her.

“You don’t?” She was surprised.

“All my dreams have been ripped away from me.”

“How do you keep going? Why do you keep going?” Sakura could see the pain from his last statement turn into confidence as he spoke his reply.

“I may not have a dream, but I have a purpose. That purpose alone is enough for me to keep waking up everyday.” He looked at her, his one visible eye turning up into a smile. “I said I would protect you, didn’t I?”

Sakura was speechless. A slight skip in her heart was caused by his statement, making her feel dizzy. He lives for me? No, I must be misunderstanding…

Neither one of them spoke again…they didn’t need to. Their friendship had an unbreakable bond after his admission. Sakura honestly didn’t think Kakashi had been that alone. She had imagined him with many hopes and dreams, always surrounded by people to live and fight for. How ironic that in the end he had no hopes and no dreams…and his only reason for fighting was to protect his former student.

The two Jounins lay back on the forest floor, side by side, and let the night take them into sleep.

In sleep lay the only dreams they had.
-------

They had woken up early, around daybreak, and packed up camp to move on. Sakura could now see the outline of Otafuku ahead. It would only be another hour of traveling and they could check into a nice hotel and have a nice warm lunch. They both felt refreshed from the sleep they had the night before. It had been the best sleep Sakura had had in weeks even if it had been on the cold forest floor. Neither mentioned the words that had passed between them the night before…but even still, Sakura felt a closer bond to her former sensei as they traveled this morning.

It was around noon when the two arrived at the gate to the city. They quickly passed the guards after showing their papers and headed straight to an inn. Tsunade had not made any reservations for them; she hadn’t even made out a plan. She had simply handed them some funds and told them to use their intuition and do their best. There was no doubt that Tsunade was as lost as they were on where to find Sasuke.

Kakashi decided on an inn located in the heart of the nightlife district. Sakura would have preferred one a little bit away from all the nightlife, but she didn’t complain. It was pertinent that they do everything they can to find information about Sasuke, and if staying in one of the busiest hotels in the city would help them, then they would do it. Higher traffic meant more chances to find leads.

The clerk at the desk was a busty blonde that eyed the couple, spending an obviously longer amount of time inspecting Kakashi.

“What? Are you trying to undress him?” Sakura snapped at the woman behind the desk. She found the woman downright blatant and rude.

Kakashi turned his head with a raised eyebrow to look at Sakura. He had known the woman was looking at him, but he hadn’t expected Sakura to even pay any mind to it.

The woman tossed the keys on the desk and huffed at Sakura while turning her back and walking away to the back room. Kakashi grabbed the keys and lead the way to the two adjoining rooms he had checked for the both of them.

The rooms weren’t too shabby. Sakura’s had a window overlooking the busy street below and Kakashi’s was no different. Each was furnished with a simple full sized bed and dresser. The closet space was lacking, but at least they didn’t have to share a bathroom. Sakura had not stayed in many hotels with private bathrooms, she considered this a luxury!

Sakura unpacked her things as Kakashi did the same in the next room over. Once finished, she opened the door to the balcony that overlooked the street below. She was surprised to find that Kakashi and she shared a single balcony. The rooms were only two floors up, if somehow they managed to find trouble they could easily escape this way.

There was a click of the other balcony door opening as Kakashi stepped out to join Sakura. He observed their location and took the same mental notes as Sakura had.

“I suggest we go ahead and get started. It would probably be best for us to split up.” Kakashi offered.

“Where she would start? And how should we go about doing this?”

“Well I brought two copies of photographs taken about a year ago, if someone has seen him then these should strike a memory.” He reached into his vest pocket and pulled out a photograph to hand to Sakura. Without even looking at it, she shoved the photo in her pouch. She hadn’t wanted to look at it…there wasn’t a purpose yet.

Sakura had to be honest with herself and admit that she was slightly disappointed that they were splitting up so soon. She had traveled to this city before but she was nowhere close to knowing her way around. In worst-case scenario she could still handle herself if she found herself in a bad part of town…but she enjoyed Kakashi’s company and was not ready to separate yet.

This is a mission, Sakura! Not a vacation. Her mind reminded her.

“Meet back for dinner?” Sakura suggested. “7pm?”

Kakashi nodded, “Yes, and we’ll relax for the rest of the night. Now let’s get going.”
------

Sakura was on her way back to the hotel after six long hours of absolutely no progress. There had been a prostitute that had practically swooned at the photograph. The woman had even offered Sakura money to sleep with the guy in the photo. Sakura mentioned something about letting her fuck him for free if they ever found him.

The bars in this city opened their doors at noon, so Sakura had visited a few of them as well. No one hassled her for being under age, unlike they would have in Konoha. She had made her way into a few bars she would have been better off not visiting. At first appearance her leaf headband was not noticeable holding back her hair, and many took her to be a girl who didn’t know any better. After being grabbed once by a drunken man she had broken his finger when he tried again. Needless to say the bartender wouldn’t help her out in identifying the picture of Sasuke.

Sakura pulled open the door to her hotel room after fumbling in her pouch for the key. Kakashi was sitting on her bed waiting for her.

“Oh my god, you’re on time.” She playfully looked as if she were going to faint.

“What can I say? I’m trying to make an impression.” Kakashi grinned at her under his mask. Sakura felt a blush rise to her cheeks and quickly turned her head so that he wouldn’t notice. He still noticed, and his grin remained plastered on his face for a few seconds longer.

“Hungry?” He asked Sakura as she sat beside him.

Sakura nodded in affirmation and fell back on the bed. “Any luck on leads?”

“No, but there are still some places I would like to check later. Also I believe we should stay here at least through this weekend. I learned there was a festival in town. What about you?”

“Broke a mans finger, found a prostitute to fuck Sasuke when we find him, and found absolutely zero leads.”

Kakashi laughed, “Sounds interesting. Tell me over dinner.” He grabbed her hand and pulled her with him as he stood up.

They decided on a semi-nice looking restaurant near the hotel. Sakura ordered a dish of tako suno mono, an octopus and vinaigrette dish. Kakashi settled for some udon and over dinner they spoke of future plans in the mission.

It was decided that if after one week in Otafuku there were no leads, they would move to the next city over for a few days. As soon as they left the country they would need to be wary and possibly disguise their identities as ninja as to not arouse suspicion.

Following dinner they arrived back at the hotel. Kakashi had offered to show Sakura a bit of the nightlife but she had declined. She felt weary from the traveling they had done earlier. He admitted to weariness too and decided to retire at the same time as she. They would be in the city for a while, there would be plenty of time to live in the night when they were more rested.

The neon lights from the nightlife below made it quite difficult for Sakura to relax and drift off to sleep. Even after pulling the curtains tight she found the room still illuminated by the fluorescent pinks, greens, and blues. Every few seconds a scream or holler from the street below would invade her not so silent room. This would take some getting used to.

Sakura glanced at the clock next to her bed. 1am. She had been lying in the stiff bed for over three hours now without being able to sleep. It led her to think of many things and her thoughts not surprisingly eventually ended up on the things said last night.

/I have a purpose. That purpose alone is enough for me to keep waking up everyday. I said I would protect you, didn’t I?/

His words echoed in her mind as she lay there staring at the wooden ceiling of the hotel room. No one had ever said anything like that before. Her parents had shown the normal love and affection but outside of her family no one ever considered her dear to them. She had held many dear, but all her efforts at building relationships were usually shot cold…mainly by Sasuke.

She hadn’t even been trying with Kakashi. Not once had she pursued their friendship. She used to believe that it was necessary to do special things and to buy special gifts to maintain a friend’s opinion of her…but she had not done that for Kakashi. She had not done that even once and he still thought more highly of her than anyone ever had before.

Her thoughts drifted from their friendship to his body…mainly his face. She may have put her curiosity aside for a few days, but it was definitely still there.

Tonight was one of those nights where her curiosity would get the best of her. Sakura removed her covers and stood up from her bed, quietly walking over to the door that connected their rooms. Ever so carefully she pushed the door open, not making one sound.

Maybe he’s sleeping without it. Sakura grinned to herself in anticipation.

She tiptoed into his room after squeezing through the small crack she had made with the door. Making her way to the side of his bed she looked at his face…

…to see that dreadful mask.

Sakura silently cursed her luck and then decided her silent trip to his room was not all in vain. As she looked at his sleeping face she noticed how the neon lights fell on his sharp features. His arms were bare and rested above the covers…she took in the sight of the formed muscles with a breath.

Wow…

The way he looked right now….she had never looked at him like this before. Always it was as a superior, even though he was a friend. But they were of equal status now, both Jounins. Here he lay in front of her, completely vulnerable, his hair falling onto the pillow and over his eyes. His eyelashes were long and thick, she fought the urge to reach out and touch them. Sakura now realized why he was so popular with the ladies… laying like this he seemed almost irresistible.

“I knew I couldn’t trust you – I had hunch you would come try to take advantage of me in my sleep.” Kakashi slowly opened his eyes, smiling at her.

As shocked as she was at being caught, she couldn’t speak. The red glow of his sharingan captured her attention and she found herself unable to break the gaze he held her with. She barely noticed as his hands grasp her sides and pulled her down onto the bed. She fell asleep there, looking into his eyes…not even knowing where she was. Gently, he took her small body into his firm but gentle arms and carried her back to her room.

Looking into his eyes there, she saw the cherry blossom trees. She saw herself smiling…dancing…with many dreams to live for.
A Bad Omen by CandyElly
1I had a question about Kakashi’s age. Since Sakura is right now 19 that makes Kakashi about...does the math 33.

Again, thanks to my boyfriend for helping me out when I get stuck in plot :) He’s my baby, even if he does look like Rock Lee.

Oh, there is a lime flashback in the beginning of this chapter. Soooo if you don’t want lime just skip to the end of the italics.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was on top of her before she was even awake. He leaned in closer and licked the innocent girls neck beneath him. She tasted sweet like a dark red apple.

The color of blood.

Sakura woke to an unexpected feeling of warmth and instantly panicked as she noticed a body on top of her. “Get off me!”

There was no way to tell who it was yet, as their was no moonlight on this dark night. She instinctively struggled to get her assailant off of her to no avail.

“Sakura...let’s be together...” the man grabbed both her arms with his hands, restraining her, and kissed her hard on the lips as she continued her struggle for freedom. The kiss was not returned, and the man sat up and looked at her in puzzlement.

She recognized the dark and raspy voice,“Sasuke! What the hell are you doing?! Get off me!”

He came down once more to her neck and nibbled her soft skin. Sakura yelped a little in pain. She was stuck... he had her hands and her legs were captured beneath his.

“Sasuke, please! Stop this, I don’t want it!”

Her plea was ignored. What was wrong with him this night? He didn’t seem to be acting in character but lately he had been even more withdrawn than usual. She had feared him becoming unstable and perhaps he had finally crossed the line.

Sasuke continued playing his tongue across the girl’s neck below him. Sakura felt as if she would vomit. The warm damp feeling traveling across her skin was supposed to bring on a feeling of passion, but he wouldn’t stop...the fact that he was forcing himself upon her brought up feelings of disgust.

Sakura whimpered as an automatic reflex and Sasuke mistook this as a small moan of pleasure, lightening his grip on her arms. This gave Sakura an idea. As much as she didn’t want to, if she played along, she could get in a position where escape was an option.

“Oh Sasuke...” She moaned his name in fake ecstacy. Sasuke removed his arm from her right hand and placed it on her breast, massaging roughly. His mouth moved from her neck to her lips as he kissed her ferociously. Reluctantly Sakura returned his unwanted kiss. The taste of whiskey fell into her mouth as their tongues intertwined.

With her free arm Sakura quickly grabbed the kunai she had hidden under the side of her bedstand. In a flash she brought the kunai around to slash Sasuke’s cheek and she felt blood fall on her chest. With a yell Sasuke brought his hands up to his injured cheek and Sakura took this split second of weakness to bring momentum into his legs and kick him off of her bed.

Quickly noting her surroundings she saw that the window was open, undoubtedly how he got in. She had no intentions of fighting Sasuke, whether he was drunk or not. She also had no intentions of staying and talking things out, incase he didn’t have talking on his list of options tonight. She turned to jump out the window and felt a hand wrap around her leg.

“You won’t get away, this time, Sakura. You are mine tonight.”

------
Sakura awoke in a cold sweat. The memory often haunted her dreams but she knew it was just a normal process in recovery...but this night the dream had been different.

The night of the actual incident it had happened explicitly like she had dreamed, however, she had managed to escape via the window. Why the sudden change of events in her mind? She used all her knowledge of the human psyche to try to analyze the dream.

Immediately her mind turned to Kakashi.

Why him? He said he would protect me from now on but that has nothing to do with that night!

To first be able to properly analyze your subconscious thoughts, you must be able to look at your relationships with pure honesty. Sakura had a blind spot...she was not being honest.

The clock on her nightstand read 3am. It was Friday morning. The time spent looking for possible leads to the location of the Uchiha had passed very slowly. Most of the time she hadn’t even seen Kakashi. They split their grounds up in such a way where they had advantages...for example Sakura went to the male bars where they seemed to kiss the ground she walked on, and Kakashi went to...well she didn’t want to think about where he went. Another mental block.

The memory of Monday night ran a flutter through her chest. All she could remember was sneaking into Kakashi’s room to hopefully catch a glimpse of his face as he slept. The next morning she awoke in her bed, not remembering how she got there. There was something different, though. When she awoke there was a feeling that had not been there before. It was as if her dreams had filled up her body and left her in complete relaxation. She had awoken with a sense of hope, and she had no idea where it had come from. Cherry blossoms were in her dreams.

With this thought her previous nightmare had been erased from her mind and she once again fell into a peaceful sleep.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was the day of the festival. Kakashi and Sakura had been enjoying the festivities as well as semi-searching for leads on Sasuke. They were beginning to give up hope in this gambling city. Upon further exploration of the festival they discovered that there was a fighting tournament to be held in only a few hours. They didn’t actually believe that Sasuke would be a part of it, but maybe he had picked a few fights. He was quick to lose his temper, after all.

The two ninjas had separated briefly...Kakashi had mumbled something under his breath and wandered off to leave Sakura alone in the shopping area of the festival. There were many things there that caught her interest, but perhaps her favorite thing was watching all the smiling faces as they joyously bought the items they desired.

“Mommy!” A young girl around the age of four pulled on her mother’s pants leg, getting her attention.

“Yes?” The woman smiled down at the child.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” The girl pointed at Sakura, causing her face to turn bright red. She smiled at the young girl and reached out to ruffle her hair.

“Thank you! But I think you are more beautiful than I am! I better watch out, you’ll steal all my boyfriends.” Sakura smiled at the little girl and laughed softly. The girl blushed and ran behind her mother’s leg, peeking out slightly.

The mother smiled sweetly at Sakura and apologized for interrupting her. It hadn’t been an interruption at all for Sakura…she enjoyed moments like these. There was something about children that made them so cheerful to be around. Maybe it was because she could so visibly remember herself being one. They had dreams.

Sakura continued walking, briefly looking at all the vendors that lined the streets. An old man from behind a table of jewelry called out for her attention.

“Oi! Such a beautiful lady! A beautiful lady deserves beautiful things! I have many of them for you!”

There was no doubt he said this to any woman walking by, but Sakura humored him and made her way over to the table. She had time to spare before the fighting tournament and looking at jewelry wasn’t the worst thing in the world to keep her occupied.

The table was decorated with many pieces of crystal set into different styles of jewelry. Sakura skipped over the rings. A ring wasn’t really the best thing for someone who enjoyed wielding kunai as much as she did. Instead she made her way over to the necklaces.

Sakura considered herself a woman, but she had yet to own one piece of jewelry. It was something she had always wanted but never really got around to it. There were other necessities in her life and she didn’t really have the extra money to spend on frivolous items. Even though she lived with her parents they required her to pay rent every month because before she moved into the upstairs apartment they rented out for money to help them pay their own bills. She didn’t mind, it was only fair.

A necklace that sparkled in the rays of the sun caught her eyes. It was a gold chain, unlike the others, which were silver. The crystal was carved in the shape of a snowflake and each edge seemed to catch a different ray, causing every color in the rainbow to be reflected. It was beautiful. Sakura reached out to touch it lightly with her fingers, contemplating a purchase.

“A beautiful necklace for a beautiful lady!” The old man smiled at her. “I’ll even give you 10 off, it’s a deal!”

Sakura took a glance at the price and her face grimaced. “Oh I’m so sorry, I’m afraid I can’t afford it still.”

“Well you should have your man buy it for you. That way you can remember him every time you look at it.”

Sakura blushed, “Well I don’t have a–“

Suddenly a hand reached around Sakura holding out some bills for the man to take, she heard a familiar deep gentle voice from behind her, “He’s right, it would look beautiful on you.”

“Kakashi.” She turned her head to look at the man behind her. The necklace was so expensive! How could he afford it, she wondered.

Kakashi reached up to the necklace and unclasp it from the display. Sakura was looking at him with her large eyes full of surprise.

“Are you sure you can afford this? No one has ever bought anything like this for me...”

“Don’t be silly. Consider this an apology for all those times that I beat you sparring.” Kakashi wrapped the necklace around her neck. Sakura instinctively lifted up her hair so he could clasp the beautiful chain of crystal. The necklace fell right above her breasts and when she took in a breath the crystal rose and shone off an array of colors.

“Thank you.” She turned to look at the tall man standing behind her. He had a look of warmth in his visible eye that seemed to melt into her. At that moment she was so thankful that their relationship had a chance to grow...as equals.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Excuse me, I’m looking for a friend...he’s been missing a while and he always loved these fighting tournaments. I was just wondering if you could look at a picture for me and see if you have seen him.” Sakura smiled at the brute man in front of her. Innocence was her game in gaining information about Sasuke. These men had no idea that this little girl could actually give them a run for their money.
“No, sorry. I don’t think I know him.”

The guy’s partner peered in over his shoulder, “Hey! That looks like da fuck with da weird eyes that trashed Kuraiheya.”

Sakura turned her attention to the man who spoke. He was a skinny hollowed out looking man who had scars running all the way down his arms. He didn’t look like he could put up much of a fight. The circles under his eyes were either a sign of some sort of substance abuse or lack of sleep. “You’ve seen this man?!”

“He be lookin’ a lot like the fella who fucked da place up. I wa’sin in my right mind really tho’, if ya know whad I’m sayin’.” The man paused, looking as if he was contemplating something, “But if ya friend has dese freaky red eyes then dis gotta be him!”

“Where is this place, can you tell me?” Sakura couldn’t actually believe there was a lead. The man had to have been talking about Sasuke. He identified the pictures and even knew about the sharingan.

“You best not be goin’ der on ya own, miss. Dis not a pretty place for an angel dat be lookin’ like you.” The look on his face said he wasn’t kidding.

“I have someone I can take with me, a strong man.”

“Well no comin’ to blame me if ya get your pretty lil’ head in trouble, now. Kuraiheya be at the very end of Peachtree Street. Don’t let tha’ name fool ya’, dis not be dat peachy.”

“Thank you! Good luck in your tournament!” Sakura smiled at the man and quickly ran off to find Kakashi and tell him the news. The last time she had seen him he was around the sign-up area, so that was her first destination. Upon reaching the area he saw him speaking with one of the men to be refereeing the tournament.

“Kakashi!”

Kakashi turned his head at the sound of his name being yelled over the voices in the crowd. He saw Sakura running towards him with her arms waving. He excused himself from his conversation with the referee and walked in her direction to meet her.

“Sakura.” A smile crossed his face as he saw the necklace he had bought her hanging around her neck, bouncing as she ran.

“I found a man who mentioned seeing Sasuke at some bar called Kuraiheya. It had to have been Sasuke...”

“How do you know for certain it was him?” Kakashi had no reason to doubt the man either but they might as well make sure they had a positive lead before they left the tournament.

“He saw the sharingan.”

“Sasuke...he’s getting careless. Why does he have sharingan out at a bar?”

“Well you know how he loses his temper...apparently he trashed the place. The guy didn’t tell me why; I don’t think he even knew. But I got the location. It’s not a friendly place and he warned me about going alone.” Sakura paused, “I think we should go together, of course...just in case.”

She was a little intimidated, honestly. Sure she was quick, agile, and an actual trained ninja...but these were shady, big, brute men. She reckoned that her fears were probably irrational but it never hurt to have someone there to watch your back.

“Of course I’ll go. Wouldn’t want your little pink head of hair to get dirty, would we?” Kakashi smiled beneath his mask and reached up his hand to pat her on the head. Sakura looked at him furiously.

“I could take care of myself, you know!”

“Well let’s not find out, shall we? Now...we have a few hours before night, which is probably when we should go.”

Sakura’s stomach grumbled and she realized she hadn’t eaten since breakfast. It was loud enough even for Kakashi to hear, and it made him laugh.

“Let’s eat?”

Sakura blushed and nodded. The two headed out to find a simple café. They settled for the one they had been eating at their whole stay here in Otafuku. It was close to the hotel and the food wasn’t that bad. Over dinner they began to discuss the lead Sakura had managed to find.

“Hey Kakashi...”

“Hm?” Kakashi was sitting there barely touching his rice while reading the latest pervert novel he managed to find at the festival. Sakura was still having such a hard time believing that Jiraiya was the one that wrote these! Of course she hadn’t read a single one. Sakura had to admit she was quite guilty in this case of judging a book by its cover.

“Never mind, it’s nothing really.” Sakura hadn’t meant to say his name. She was just thinking out loud.

Kakashi looked up at the small girl across from him, “Leading me on?”

Laughing, Sakura replied, “No. I was just going to ask you a question but even though I have it in my head and I know what I mean... I can’t figure out how to put it in words.”

“Huh?” Kakashi looked at her dumbly.

“It’s more of a feeling than a question I think. And I can’t really ask you about a feeling can I? I mean I can ask you directly about a feeling but not when I don’t even know what it is or how it feels like.”

“Did they put sake in your noodles?”

“Ok I’m going to shut my mouth now.” Sakura felt stupid. She should never have spoken out loud, not that she had intended to in the first place. Sometimes her thoughts were all over the place and lately it was more so than usual. There were a few thoughts and feelings she had now that were always right there on the tip of her tongue that hadn’t been there before. Of course she had been going through a lot lately and stress could do some very funny things.

Kakashi laughed, “I’m just teasing. I know exactly what you mean. What does it pertain to, at least?” He could not deny that new feelings had arose within him as well, but he was unsure if Sakura was speaking of the same ones.

“Finding Sasuke.” Sakura bit her bottom lip when a small feeling of nervousness hit her. “I know I haven’t talked about it, but in truth I don’t want to find him.”

“It’s you’re mission, Sakura.”

“I know, that is why I’m here and that is why I told you about the lead. You have no idea how hard it was not to keep that lead to myself. I mean I don’t want to see him at all. I don’t see what good he does for Konoha.”

“I think Konoha’s primary concern is continuing the Uchiha bloodline and not letting Sasuke’s genetic traits fall into the wrong hands. You remember what happened to Orochimaru.”

“Maybe I’m biased, but I think it’s bullshit. It’s more trouble than it’s worth to resurrect a clan with such an unstable person with such tremendous power.”

“Maybe you’re right. Who knows?” Kakashi looked back down at his book. He was at a good part; secretly he wished she would stop talking for a minute.

“I don’t know what you see in those books! I swear those are more important to you than your country’s affairs!” Sakura accused him as she saw his head sink into the pages.

“I’m a good part, quiet.”

“What is it? Some kind of self-insertion bathhouse fantasy?” Sakura sarcastically made a remark about the author.

“Actually, no.” Kakashi replied matter-of-factly.

“Then what is so great about this part you are reading?”

Kakashi looked up at her, his eye turned into what signified an evil grin under his mask, “You’re in it.” He knew this would hit a button and that was his entire purpose of doing it.

“What?!” Sakura jumped to her feet nearly knocking the table over in the process and attempted to grab at his book. She had no luck, Kakashi was too fast for her this time. It would be amazing if she could ever put her hands on that book again...he knew her motives.

“Well it’s at this part where you are in the bath house and–“

“Oh my God!!! I’m going to kill Jiraiya!” Sakura was furious. Kakashi had better have been kidding, if nothing else then for Jiraiya’s sake.

“Actually, Naruto cowrote this one.”

“Naruto...wrote...a...smutty...story...about...me...” Sakura’s eyes appeared as if they were on fire, very similar to Rock Lee’s when he expressed his love for his sensei.

“Lighten up, you aren’t in this chapter. I was only teasing!” She was so cute when she was angry. He was so tempted to provoke her even more.

Hearing this she calmed down, now only mad at Kakashi for leading her on in such a way.

“You were in Chapter 3.”

“Kakashi!!” This time, the dishes were knocked off the table.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The man was right, the bar called Kuraiheya really was in a bad part of town. There were hardly any street lamps even and the only lights that illuminated the street were from the run down brothels that appeared every other block. However, there was a small patch of neon light visible in the distance. Sakura and Kakashi gathered it lead to their destination. Still, what was Sasuke doing in this part of town?
They reached the patch of neon lights and read ‘Kuraiheya’. The street smelled of old vomit and liquor. She looked up at Kakashi worriedly and his one visible eye tightened in a smile to comfort her.

Stepping into the bar they noted that the bar was on their left and there was a small stage to their right with a dull silver pole. No music was playing even though there was a woman making her way onto the stage. The woman wore only a short skirt that hugged tightly to her hipbones. She had no extra weight on her and had not even bothered to apply makeup, showing the dark bags underneath her eyes. Her breasts sagged against her chest with no support.

Sakura gasped slightly when Kakashi grabbed her arm and pulled her to the bar, “You’re staring.” he whispered to her.

“Oh - I’m sorry.” She replied quietly. This was all new to her. She hadn’t visited many bars in her life previous to this mission. She wasn’t even allowed in Konoha bars yet...well not for another five days.

The two took a seat at the bar. They had decided it would probably be best to not show themselves as ninja to avoid unwanted trouble. Sakura wore a simple red kimono style top with a pair of loose black pants. The crystal snowflake fell between her slightly showing cleavage, accenting it. Her pink head of hair had been brought up in a bun, held together by chopsticks.

Kakashi was in his normal black pants and a black shirt that seemed to fit him like a second skin. The sleeves were so short that they barely covered his ANBU tattoo. His muscles cut through the thin fabric, making it hard for Sakura not to stare. The way she looked at him had definitely changed on this journey. He wasn’t the humble pervert teacher after all. He truly was a ladies man.

Kakashi ordered two shots of tequila and passed one of them over to Sakura. The glass was cloudy as if it hadn’t been washed. Kakashi didn’t seem to mind.

“Um, Kakashi... I’ve never actually drank before.” Sakura said sheepishly.

“One shot will just make you warm. Besides, the bartender will be suspicious if you aren’t here to drink.”

She had to admit that he had a point. Looking around her she noticed that everyone had a drink…it was a bar after all. Sighing, she threw her head back with the shot of tequila, scowling at the bitter taste as it burned her throat.

“Eugh that was awful.”

A small laugh escaped Kakashi’s lips. “You get used to it, then you’ll start craving it.”

“I hope not.” She said honestly.

“Well next time we’ll get you something more...girly.”

Sakura ignored this comment. He was obviously trying to frustrate her again but this was not the place for it. They had come here looking for a lead, not to drink. Once again Sakura explored her surroundings and noticed that a man was watching her from near the stage. Actually there was more than just one man looking at her. Besides the dancer on the stage she was the only female in the room.

“Sakura, you should go talk to that man. I saw him walking out of the back room. Can you handle yourself with him? He might could tell you something if you warm up to him.” He gestured to the man sitting next to the stage.

Sakura nodded and reluctantly stood from her place at the bar to walk over to the man. He was older with graying hair and he looked as if he hadn’t shaven in weeks. Dirt smeared his face and his clothes were tattered and worn. A stupid grin plastered on his face as he saw Sakura approaching him. She took the seat next to him.

“May I buy you a drink, miss? Not every night we get someone as pretty as you in this here trash.” His breath stunk of substances Sakura did not even want to begin to try to identify.

She made sure to change her attitude. Miss polite ninja probably wouldn’t work well with him and he would just end up getting suspicious. She flashed a seductive smile in his direction, “Scotch on the rocks.”

The man obliged. Sakura remembered scotch as the drink Sasuke had liked. It should be fitting under the circumstances, she assumed.

“What brings you to this area of town? Your boyfriend didn’t drag you down here...did he? I don’t want no trouble if you be trying to make ‘em jealous.” The man eyed Sakura suspiciously.

“It’s not like that. He has someone already...” Sakura lied through her teeth, “we accompanied each other here because we are looking for someone.”

The scotch arrived and Sakura took her first sip, causing her to fight her reflexes to keep her face from twisting in disgust. Maybe Kakashi was right and she really did need something girlier. The shot she had taken of tequila was beginning to warm her up.

“Who would that be, missy?”

“Well I overheard at the festival that he had been seen here in this place. I’m not sure when but I heard he caused a lot of trouble. He looks like this.” Sakura pulled the picture out of her pocket and the man nodded his head in recognition.

“That’s the fool that trashed the place about three weeks ago. Some stuck-up bloke tried to pick a fight with him. He had been comin’ here nightly for about a week and never spoke a word to anyone. Peoples were suspicious, ya see. One of our other regulars finally tried to fuck with him and the guy just flipped without saying a word. He had these eyes...must be ninja. We don’t like ninja here.”

“Neither do I...which is why we’re looking for him. He has something of mine that I want back.” It was all a big lie but Sakura didn’t care. The man was more likely to trust her if they held common views. Sakura tossed her head back and finished off the glass of scotch. She was starting to feel a little dizzy and she knew it must have been the alcohol.

“Do you know where he ran off to?” Sakura asked the man.

“Well I don’t know but he sure as hell had to have left this town. You see the man he wrecked was the leader of one of the largest gangs here in the city. If that man as much as steps foot within the city walls again he’ll have an assassin on his tail.”

“Well I suppose that means we won’t find him here. I appreciate your help, darling.” Sakura leaned over and kissed the man on the cheek. She was disgusted.

“Be careful out there. He looks like he could snap you like a twig.”

Sakura smiled and turned, wiping her lips off as she walked to Kakashi. Things were starting to get a little blurry...

“Anything?” Kakashi asked her when she came to stand next to him.

“Yeah, he’s not in this city and won’t be for a while. But no clue where else he could have gone.” Sakura paused and swayed a little where she stood, “Can we go? I’m a little dizzy...”

Kakashi nodded and took her arm to help her walk. As they exited the bar Sakura turned her head to see a woman leaning up against the wall. Her skirt was ripped between her legs and almost showed off more than it should have. She didn’t wear a top, just a ragged bra covered by a fake black leather jacket with the stuffing falling out of rips from the inside. A scar ran from her lip to her eye, distorting what perhaps was once a beautiful face. Without warning the woman leaned over and wretched into the sidewalk.

Sakura hadn’t noticed but she had stopped walking to look at the woman in pity. What on earth could happen to someone to make them end up in a place like this? It was beyond her reasoning. How could this woman be happy here? If she tried hard enough there was surely a way to get out.

The woman looked up at Sakura with her hollowed out eyes and scowled, “What are you staring at, little blossom? It’ll be you one day.” The woman spit in Sakura’s direction and Sakura’s expression turned to fear and surprise.

“Sakura, let’s go.” Kakashi pulled her in closely as if he were protecting her and lead her in the direction of the hotel. There was something about that woman…Sakura didn’t like it. She hurt inside.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well that one was long. If any of you have ever been to Atlanta, GA you probably laughed at the Peachtree St. I had to stick a little inside joke in here somewhere!
Thank you for all the wonderful reviews! You guys rock :D This is going way faster than I thought it would. I thought I would do one chapter a week…but it’s been one week and I’ve already written 5! I wasn't as happy with this one because there wasn't as much tension. Next one, I promise :)
Tension Rises by CandyElly
A new day, a new country, and a new objective. All hope seemed to be lost when it pertained to locating Uchiha Sasuke. They had taken the small lead and left Otafuku but the city they had come to held not even one scent of the man. With no further leads this mission was a needle in a haystack. Kakashi and Sakura were still attempting to locate the Uchiha, however, their ambition was dying at the lack of action now. They were taking it easy.

Sakura’s birthday was in two days. She would enter the world of being an adult in about 48 hours. It wasn’t too significant to her. She had felt as if she were an adult for many years now. The things she had seen and the acts she had committed for her country were enough to make anyone grow up faster than usual. Her emotions responded to situations as if she were an adult already. Often times she wondered what it was like to be her age…being a ninja made it seem like she skipped her teenage years.

Sakura sighed as she pulled her hair back from her eyes. Kakashi and she had been sparing for hours and she was beginning to tire. Like usual, he didn’t look the least bit phased for all he did was dodge.

She turned her gaze to his form. He was resting under the shade of a tree on the edge of the forest. He was sitting casually, leaning against the trunk, reading his latest novel. There was something peaceful and serene about it and Sakura could not help but stare at him there.

Looking up from his novel, Kakashi smiled in Sakura’s direction when he noticed her gaze. She took this as an invitation and made her way over to join him under the cool shade of the tree. At first she just stood next to him, feeling the breeze as it brushed her skin. She supposed they looked like quite a teacher and student pair there, at the side of the forest.

Sakura looked down as she felt a tug on her pants leg to see Kakashi motioning for her to sit down. She obliged and took a seat on the earth rather close to him. There was something odd about his reaction when she took her place, his aura changed in a way that made her feel more welcome at his side. Her presence seemed to make him evolve into relaxation.

Sakura inched closer to him so that her arm was touching his and their legs rested against each other. She could almost feel his body relax against hers and although his breathing did not change she swore she heard a small sigh.

There was something here between them. It was no longer a teacher and student relationship they shared. This mission may not have wielded significant results yet, but it had strengthened their friendship…their bond. It was one of those feelings that Sakura couldn’t name. She was seeing him through new eyes.

Kakashi was a very attractive man, but Sakura would not let her fall victim to his looks. She had her guard up…it was apparent that women all over the country saw the same things as she in this man that was her former sensei.

“Hey, sensei.”

Sakura hadn’t called him that in weeks. He didn’t turn his head to her as she spoke, instead he looked to the leaves above him, “Hm?”

“Don’t use the same things on me as you have all of your women. I’m much more fragile.” Sakura spoke in a calm voice. She valued their friendship and did not want to see it thrown away because she couldn’t resist his charm…she had felt herself begin to fall and she was not feeling him resist in any way. His love for women was known among the Jounins. She didn’t want to be another woman.

“You have my word.” Kakashi replied softly, not emitting any signs of shock at her statement. He understood her.

Silence followed the two of them as they sat there leaning against each other. Kakashi continued reading his novel and Sakura just calmed herself into a meditative state, enjoying the feeling of being there.

After around one hour, Kakashi broke the silence. “I want to teach you a new Jutsu.”

Sakura snapped out of her state and turned her head to look at him. He was still holding his book but he was not looking at the pages…his gaze was straightforward. She didn’t respond.

“I’m no longer your teacher, I know. But humor me, I think you could put good use to it.” His visible eye went soft as he made eye contact with her. He trusted her without any doubt. With a nod, Sakura agreed his offer.

Kakashi reached to his side to pull a small scroll out of his pouch. Quietly he unrolled the scroll to expose a list of signatures written in ink so dark of a red that it was almost brown. The last name read “Hatake Kakashi”.

“This is a blood pact, Sakura. It’s irreversible and signing your name here will create an unbreakable bond with the hounds. It’s not very ladylike…but I’m serious about passing this skill down through you.” Kakashi laid the scroll down on the ground before him, “So…” he continued, “If you want, I’m willing.”

Sakura was flattered, to say the least. There were no other names she recognized on the pact and she gathered that the length of time between the signatures was very far. “I would feel honored to make this pact.”

Kakashi reached to his leg and pulled a kunai from its holster, “Let me have your hand...trust me.”

Sakura complied and held her hand out to her teacher. She prepared herself for the stick as Kakashi so gently held her hand in his.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized as he brought the kunai to her finger to pierce the soft porcelain skin, causing crimson droplets begin to run down her hand. She didn’t even flinch. He then gestured for her to sign her name on the pact.

The scroll felt rough beneath her wounded finger as she signed the pact offered before her. She felt important. Her Jutsu had always been exceptional but she had nothing to call her own. There was nothing to separate herself from the others she graduated the academy with. No special bloodline trait was found in her genes, and thought she was smarter than your average ninja, there were others smarter than her.

Once she was done, Kakashi took her hand once more and softly wiped off the blood with his shirt and then brought her fingers up to kiss them. Sakura felt herself float and ironically her pain instantly disappeared.

Kakashi stood, still holding her hand, and brought her up with him. They were standing so close; Sakura could feel his warm aura exuding from his body.

“Follow my hands.” He commanded as he let go of her hand to show her one of the Jutsu to summon the hounds.

Sakura followed him and repeated the steps until she felt rather fluent and Kakashi nodded at her to try the summoning Jutsu seriously this time.

With all her concentration, Sakura pushed her will and chakra into the one place needed for this Jutsu. She had always had great control over her chakra and such a step in this Jutsu seemed almost elementary to her. Then quickly forming the seals she brought her thumb up to her mouth, tearing the skin with her teeth, and then shoved her hands violently at the ground.

“Summoning no Jutsu!”

With a poof, very similar to the one Kakashi was so fond of arriving with, a small brown dog appeared.

“Pakkun!” Sakura squealed delightfully at the sight of the pup she hadn’t seen in so long, bringing her loose fists up to each sides of her wide smile.

“Well now, what a surprise. It’s been a while Sakura, you’ve grown beautifully.” Pakkun turned his gaze to Kakashi, who was standing behind Sakura with a look of pride, “and what can I do for you, Kakashi?”

Kakashi shook his head in a slow and languid motion, “She called you here, not I.”

Pakkun returned the direction of his gaze back to Sakura, “I see…” he said someone hesitantly, “What can I do for you, Sakura?”

Sakura stood contemplating if there actually was anything the pup could do for her, then it struck her, “Do you sense Uchiha Sasuke at all?”

“No dear.”

“Ah, well it was worth a shot. Forgive me, you are my practice for this Jutsu. I hope I didn’t disturb you!” Sakura blushed slightly, turning her face away from the dog.

Pakkun once again looked at the man standing behind Sakura, “I was beginning to wonder when you would pass this Jutsu, Kakashi. I was afraid you might take us to the grave.” Pakkun paused, “Forgive me for my bluntness, but what are your reasons for chosing Sakura? They will like to know.” Pakkun was referring to the other hounds that were now at Sakura’s call.

Kakashi stepped forward and came to a squat in front of Pakkun, petting him on the head, “She’s my purpose, Pakkun. I want you to protect her when she calls. It is very important to me.”

After his request Kakashi turned his gaze to Sakura and smiled his sweetest smile. Sakura felt her knees weaken in his gaze. She wasn’t sure that he meant it to have that effect on her, but never the less it did.

“On my honor, we will protect her with our lives.” Pakkun spoke and quickly disappeared in the same way he had arrived.

Sakura felt warmth and trust in her former sensei. It was almost indescribable how honored she was at receiving such trust.

“Kakashi,” her gaze was still fixed on him even though he had his back turned to her, “Thank you for your trust.”

He nodded, and began explaining the different hounds to her and what all abilities they could use. Then he stopped. There was one more thing he needed to say and he didn’t even want to voice the possibility.

Sakura could tell his sudden change to seriousness and deep inside she knew what was coming. It was of no harm but the mention of it alone was like accepting the reality that every ninja tried their best to run from.

“If anything should happen to me…” he paused, realizing how realistic it actually was, “You must keep this scroll.” He held up the pact in reference.

“I…I understand.” She didn’t want to talk of death for it was all too common.

“Now where was I?” As quickly as he had changed moods he switched them back again and dropped to a sitting position without even bothering to change his location. He picked up his novel from the forest floor and began reading where he left off.

Sakura smiled to herself, this is what she liked about Kakashi. He had the ability to be able to switch on his happiness at any moment and make those around him smile as well. It took a lot of strength at times, she knew.

“You’re such a pervert.” She laughed, not moving her gaze.

He didn’t respond. He sat there pretending to read as he took in the feeling of her gaze. His love crazy student had developed into a beautiful woman. A woman that anyone would have been proud to have at their side.

Time passed and they both sat there together quietly like they had been doing before. The more Sakura got to thinking the more she realized how relatively little she knew of Kakashi. She felt so close to him yet the only thing she knew of him is that he was a ANBU member and apparently he had graduated the academy at a very young age. He liked those perverted books, that was a fact…and he was a pretty decent, even if strict, teacher. She chuckled as she remembered Team 7’s test to become Genin. It seemed so long ago.

“I want to know more about you.” Sakura offered.

“There isn’t much to know.” Kakashi didn’t even bother looking up from his book.

“That is a blatant lie and you know it. I’ve known you for eight years now and have yet to even see your face. Tell me something, anything. I don’t care. Just tell me something I don’t know. I’ll return the favor.”

“There’s something about you that I don’t know?” He asked her, suspiciously.

“Gotta be.”

“Hmmm well how serious does mine have to be?”

“Well tell me about something that made you who you are…”

Kakashi paused briefly to think before he continued on, “It hurts to remember those things. You don’t want to see that side of me.”

“I’ve seen it. I see it all the time. You trust me so much with your hounds yet you can’t tell me the least bit about yourself?” She was slightly accusing him now. She found herself offended that he didn’t confide in her for personal matters.

“If it hurts too much, I’ll drop it. I’m sorry.” She smiled nervously, “Didn’t mean to upset you.” Sakura stood to her feet and began walking a line, pacing almost. Restlessness was starting to take her over.

Silence once more passed between them as Kakashi marked the page in his book and put it away in his pouch. He hadn’t talked of himself for so long. The only ones who knew anything about his past were the ones who were actually a part of it…and most of those were dead. He didn’t want to scare her. There were a million memories running through his mind that he could share with her, yet he didn’t want to share a single one. They were memories that had been pushed into the depths of his mind and had a thick layer of dust he had to clear before they would resurface.

“I can’t think of what I want to tell you.” He spoke honestly.

Sakura had an idea of something he could tell her that wouldn’t be too terribly painful for him, “Tell me why you wear that mask.”

“I started wearing it when I was young and well… it just became a part of me.” Easy enough, he supposed.

“I figured as much. Why did you start wearing it?”

“It’s been so long I can’t even remember clearly,” he laughed, “I suppose it had something to do with me being so young at my level. I graduated early. I was taken more seriously if people couldn’t see that I was actually still a kid.”

“And you won’t show me because…?” Sakura questioned.

“Because I like the games you play. It’s like tradition now.” His eye turned up into a smile as he looked at her.

“Why don’t you show me, and then we’ll pretend I didn’t see it and I’ll keep playing them.” She returned his sly smile.

“Fat chance.”

“It was worth a shot.” Sakura shrugged and moved her gaze back to the forest floor.

“Ok, now something about you.”

“Everyone I know has had these terrible things happen to them, but honestly I feel like a rather lucky…but boring…person.” Sakura sat down behind the peaceful man, her back pressed against his and her knees brought up to her chest in a tight hug. He felt content with just that small touch of her being there.

“You’re far from boring. You keep an old man entertained.”

Sakura never thought of him as old. He was in his 30s, she knew…”My entire life I’ve lived just normal. Look at all the great ninja, they weren’t normal. Your life wasn’t normal.” It was that feeling again. That feeling that in the end she was nothing special.

“Sakura, let go.”

“What?” Sakura looked at him in question, unsure of what he meant.

“Just let go. It’s beautiful here, you know.” His voice was calm and held great reassurance.

“Here…” she repeated to herself. She let her head fall back and rest on his shoulder, looking up at the sky. A sigh escaped Kakashi’s covered lips as he felt more contact with the beautiful girl. Here…it wasn’t obvious but Sakura knew the meaning. Here…it meant that mind state. That point of breakdown. In the end it wasn’t that bad to just lose control and admit you don’t know where you are going. It wasn’t your past, it was the here and now.

“Here…” Sakura repeated in a whisper, watching the clouds roam overhead through the sky. They all had a destination, clouds and lives…they all moved in the same direction.

With a deep breath, Kakashi spoke, “Feel that?”

“What?” She felt a lot of things but which the older man was referring to was beyond her.

Taking another deep breath, Kakashi answered her, “That…breathing.”

Closing her eyes, Sakura fell into the feeling of his back to hers and of their slight movement as they both inhaled and exhaled the cool winter air. It was almost as if she could try hard enough and feel the breath tickle across every inch of her body on the inside before it escaped her. She had never thought about breathing. It had never seemed so hopeful.

Kakashi closed his eyes as well and leaned back into her as she did him. His head fell back to rest on her shoulder and he turned his face to look at her. She did the same and they were facing each other…only an inch apart. They were so close and she could feel his warm breath over her eyes.

“Everyone takes that same breath…” he whispered, his eyes were caught on her lips and with all his might he tried but he just couldn’t tear his gaze away. They looked so inviting and at that moment he knew…he knew there was something there between them that hadn’t been there before.

“Kakashi…” He felt each warm breath of his name brush across his face. She knew what he was trying to say. It didn’t matter of your past; deep down you are still the same person no matter what happens to you. As long as you had a purpose, and as long as you let that drive you. It wasn’t along the same lines as Neji’s belief in fate…it seemed more spiritual.

Kakashi reached his hand up to run his fingers through the cherry blossom hair that fell over his chest. Sakura fell into his touch, savoring every moment of it. She could feel his breath getting heavier through his mask and he pushed himself against her back.

Suddenly, Sakura panicked. It was happening. She told herself she wouldn’t let it happen, she wasn’t another one of his women. He was her teacher and she didn’t want to ruin this because he was so damned irresistible. He was her extremely supposedly handsome teacher with a love for perverted books and women. Without thinking much more about it she jerked her head off his shoulder and jumped to her feet, nearly causing him to fall backwards without her support.

“No, no, no, no!” A flustered Sakura exclaimed, looking down at Kakashi with a glare. Her finger had raised and was pointed at him, as if accusing him of something.

He smiled dumbly through the mask, moving his body around to face her.

“Quit before you’re ahead!” She yelled at him with a voice that sounded completely unsure of what she should even be saying, “I’m not falling for it Hatake Kakashi! I refuse.”

He had to admit to himself that he was doing something…but he was doing it because he wanted to. The feeling had come from her too. She was every little bit of a seductress as he was a seducer. He wasn’t alone in playing this game and he knew it. The words she spoke, however, had truth. It wouldn’t be worth it for a little tension relief that would just fade eventually on its own. It wouldn’t be worth the repercussions if anyone found out, either.

Holding his hands in the air as he surrendering, he spoke, “You caught me, I’ll quit.”

“Good.” She eyed him suspiciously, not completely believing him or even knowing if he had control over what was happening.

“So…Sakura-chan…” He nodded lazily to the clearing, “Ready to start your training again? You know…since I’m apparently still your teacher.”

Sakura’s blood boiled at his voicing of ‘Sakura-chan’, causing her cheeks to grow a deep red. She was blushing and she was furious at the same time. God, this man could so easily push her buttons with just the slightest bit of effort. “You have to stand up first, you lazy pervert!”

Kakashi slowly moved to his feet and looked at her with his visible eye. His posture was slouched, as always. How tall would he be if he stood proudly, she wondered.

“But you have to fight back, this time. No reading that damn book.”

“Trust me, I learned my lesson…” He chuckled as she took her fighting stance.

Ready for action, Sakura charged at her former teacher, throwing two smoke bombs at his feet. Instinctively, Kakashi in turn threw a kunai into the cloud of smoke that bellowed before him. When the smoke began to clear he noticed a simple log with a kunai logged into the bark.

Sakura used her Jutsu to appear behind Kakashi and in a quick movement with her feet she swept his legs out from underneath him. Step one, accomplished. Sakura thought to herself.

Not expecting the sudden kick, Kakashi feel backwards and felt his back connect with the cold ground. It wasn’t a very hard fall so he quickly moved to recover back to his feet. Propelling himself up from the ground he was shocked when his head came into contact with Sakura’s warm leg, causing him to fall down again. Step two. She grinned.

Sakura had expected at least two seconds to pass before Kakashi made a recovery from the knee to the head. However, she had underestimated him. In surprising speed, Kakashi reached his arm out to grab Sakura’s leg, pulling it towards him and causing her to nearly fall into a split.

With Sakura knocked off balance Kakashi took the cue and sprang to his feet. While Sakura was falling she quickly brought her other leg around and attempted to kick at him once more. In response, he dashed backwards with no problem.

Unable to save herself, Sakura fell to her back in the same spot Kakashi had. She quickly jumped up and sat in a squatting position, ready for an advance from the man.

An advance didn’t come. Looking more carefully in front of her, Sakura noticed the man was no longer there. As she was turning her head around to check the area at her side she was tackled from behind.

With Sakura in his arms Kakashi brought them both to standing. Sakura braced herself to be thrown, but was surprised when nothing came. He just held her there in his arms, with her back to his chest. She could feel his labored breaths and her knees began to go weak in his firm grasp.

Kakashi grinned to himself, noticing the effect he had on the girl in his capture. Leaning over to where his masked lips were next to his ear, he whispered, “It feels so good to have you like this…”

Sakura was getting ready to say something in return when Kakashi’s grip tightened on her. With no warning, Kakashi arched his back into a backbend, pulling Sakura over him in the process. Sakura’s chest hit the cold ground with great force. The impact had knocked the breath out of her and she lay there gasping.

A tall figure stood over her, one leg on each side in a straddle. He placed his hands on his hips and smirked as he looked down at the breathless girl, “I take your breath away, don’t I?”

“Kak…ashi… you…perv…” Sakura gasped between gulps of air while glaring at the man standing over her. She had a weakness, and as ninja do, Kakashi had exploited it fully.



They had returned to their rooms around six in the evening. It was time for another night of hide and go seek with Uchiha Sasuke. Just a few minutes ago was the first time Sakura had even thought of the boy all day long. Funny, it was supposed to be a mission about him too.

In accordance of taking the day off to train and spar, they decided to go out and look for leads at night. As usual they would start separate and probably meet up somewhere along the way and continue on together. This town wasn’t nearly as busy as Otafuku but still there was enough to keep them busy for a few more days.

Sakura had decided first to try all the inns. She knew it was likely that he had stayed at one of them had he passed through here. She didn’t feel hopeful, honestly. There were a number a ways he could have traveled after leaving Otafuku. They had chosen this one because it was closest. Tsunade had asked them to report back after about two weeks if there wasn’t any significant information and it would be near those two weeks when they were done in this town.

It was so boring! This was the worst mission ever, she thought to herself. It felt more like a vacation than a mission…and really, this was a huge country. Had Sasuke wanted to be found she was pretty sure he would have made himself known by now, or at least been careless enough to leave a few clues where he was going.

Sakura sighed, knowing deep down that she should have told Tsunade the events that lead to him fleeing Konoha. It was possible that she would have even called off the mission altogether and kept it at more of a casual search. Sakura cursed herself for not swallowing her pride and coming out with the truth. Tsunade would be upset with her for disclosing information, but she thought it would be best when they head back to Konoha at the end of the two weeks.

So far, Sakura had checked three inns. The clerks hadn’t recognized the picture but they did tell her when the shift change would be so she could come back and ask again. She planned on doing that in the morning. There was only one more inn that she knew to check and it was on the other side of town. It was getting late, it would just have to wait until tomorrow.

With her stomach noticeably growling in hunger, Sakura stopped at a small bakery and purchased a slice of cake. Kakashi was nowhere near to scold her in her choice of dinners so she took full advantage of the opportunity. After quickly eating the cake in a not so very ladylike manner, she continued on her way back to the inn where she was staying.

There was a bar next to the inn and she knew Kakashi had been there last night after she had slept. She didn’t know his business there but she figured it was just to pick up a drink. If there were women involved, which by the looks of the bar there were, she didn’t want to know about it.

Sakura had to pass the said bar on the way back to the hotel and stopped in her tracks at what she saw. She could barely make out Kakashi’s form on a stool with three rather attractive women surrounding him. Had she not been expecting to find him in a situation such as this, she would have never known it was him.

That bastard! I’ve got to stay away from him…

Her mind told her one thing but there was something there that made her step into the door of the bar and inspect closer. Kakashi had his back turned to the door so she was in no fear of being discovered. Had he known she was here, he most definitely wouldn’t be in such a flirtatious situation.

The girls around him laughed as Kakashi apparently said something humorous. Sakura could feel herself wanting to smack every one of them. How dare they!

“Aww…but you must be so handsome under that mask of yours. Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?” One of the girls made her best pouting face as she positioned her chest with cleavage directly in the Jounin’s eye site.

Sakura’s fists clenched at her side as she watched the scene. Kakasensei is going to go home with these women! He is such a damn—

“I’m sorry, ladies.” The corner of his visible eye turned up into what signified a smile, “I have my eyes set on someone else, I don’t want to mess it up.”

Sakura nearly tripped over the table in shock and had to reach out to hold the chair in front of her to keep her from falling. This man who had teased her all day long out of pure fun had just turned down three beautiful women with the excuse of there is someone else in his life.

Was she that someone?

Sakura frantically made her way out the door of the bar before he noticed her presence and briskly walked all the way to her hotel room. She unlocked the door and then threw herself onto her stiff bed, looking up at the ceiling.

/I have my eyes set on someone else. I don’t want to mess it up./

Sakura’s breath began to pick up as his voice rang in her mind. If he was talking about her, then that means he is serious. If he was so serious and determined how was she going to be able to escape his seduction?

Kakashi had far more experience in the art of seduction than she had. Honestly, she didn’t even know what to watch out for. She was a virgin. Aside from the unpleasant incident with Sasuke, she didn’t really know a thing about sex and seduction. Naruto and she had kissed once, but it was really just out of curiosity.

This couldn’t happen. He used to be her teacher.

You think he’s sexy, don’t you?

Inner Sakura spoke up, contradicting all of her thoughts. Deep down, she wanted him…but what about the consequences? A one night stand might be too much for her to take from someone who is so close to her. Could they ever go back to being teacher and student?

Thoughts were interrupted with the click of a door opening. It was the door that conjoined her room with Kakashi’s. She didn’t bother looking up, she knew by the sound of his gentle footsteps that he was walking towards her.

“I saw you running out of the bar.” He spoke as he sat down on the bed next to her, causing the mattress to shift and her head to role to the side.

“You looked busy.” She fumbled, hoping to work around the fact that she had heard his declaration. To avoid any unplanned contact, she raised her body up to sitting and turned to halfway face him. He was looking at her.

With that goddamn handsome stare he could do.

“Kakashi, I—“

“I wanted to say I’m sorry.” He interrupted her before she could finish what she was about to say.

“Sorry?” She looked at him in question.

“I made you uncomfortable today.”

Sakura could faintly smell some type of alcohol come from Kakashi’s direction. He had come to her after drinking, how flattering. “No you didn’t.” She was being honest. The attention she had received today had been exhilarating.

Standing, Sakura moved over to where the older man sat on her bed. His hair was beginning to fall with the late hour and silver bangs fell into the gaze of his one visible eye. “Don’t you ever get tired of this thing?” Sakura reached out to flick the headband that covered his sharingan eye.

“I don’t have much of a choice.” Kakashi’s vision was beginning to make him slightly dizzy. He looked around him and stopped to think of what his reason for coming into her room was, other than the apology. He then realized he didn’t have another reason.

“Take it off.”

“Eh? You are trying to take advantage of me in my state?” Kakashi referred to the mask he was wearing.

“No, I won’t touch the mask.” She promised him. Actually, Sakura’s only intention was to look into his eyes. Even in his semi-drunk state she wondered if she could look into his eyes and tell what it was that she was feeling.

“You don’t remember what happened last time, do you?” Kakashi asked the small girl standing before him.

“Last time…?”

“The last time you looked into my eyes.”

Sakura froze. She hadn’t remembered anything at all. The only time she had seen his sharingan was in battle…she hadn’t looked into his eyes then.

“Do you remember the cherry blossom trees?”

Cherry blossom trees…then it hit her. The night that she dreamed all those beautiful dreams… “I didn’t know that was you…”

Kakashi turned his head to look at the sheets of her bed, which were tossed around in every direction, “You haven’t been sleeping well, have you?”

“No…” she said softly, realizing what he was going to offer.

Kakashi reached up to slip his headband off, causing his silver hair to fall into his face. Sakura’s breathing picked up slightly in awe at how beautiful he seemed to be.

Looking into his eyes to find out what she felt, wasn’t working. What a stupid idea…she thought to herself.

“Kakashi, I don’t want to—“

“I know.” He interrupted her. “I’m not here for that.”

She had her head turned to the side so she didn’t have to look at his handsome face, even if it was still masked.

Gently, Kakashi reached out to brush the side of her cheek so that her face turned in his direction. His sharingan eye was closed. “I’ll never take advantage of you like this, Sakura. I just want you to dream.”

She nodded softly as he opened his sharingan eye. It was like a sudden feeling of warmth took over her body and no matter how hard she tried she could not break this gaze.

Suddenly, there they were. Back in Konoha…back in the cherry blossom grove. Sunlight hit her soft skin and looking down she noticed she was wearing the outfit like she was 12 years old again. Smiling, she looked up at Kakashi, who was standing a little bit away from her. His face looked younger as well.

“Remember eight years ago?” He asked her, and she nodded. “Dream of it, my blossom.”

In the hotel room, their eyes were still locked into a deep gaze. Sakura had no sense of things around her. To her, they were in the grove…eight years ago. She had been so happy then…well she was still happy, but, she held dreams then. The one thing she wanted was a dream.

Kakashi gently grabbed her in her arms and laid her down in her bed. He was glad he could give this to her. It was already decided in his mind that he would not take the tension between them any further. What they had right now was a beautiful and trusting friendship, and he did not want to break that for her.

Kissing her forehead softly, Kakashi whispered, “Sweet dreams…my blossom.”
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=83