Shattered Spirit by bronzelord
Summary: What if Naruto didn't have the strength to deal with the hate of the village? How would he survive the never ending waves of mistrust, and anger that cause the villagers to abuse and ostracize him? Can he find a meaning for his life?
Categories: Het Romance > Top Six Pairs > Sasuke and Sakura, Het Romance > Angst, Alternate Universe & Crossovers > Other, Het Romance > Top Six Pairs > Naruto and Hinata Characters: Naruto Uzumaki, Pair NaruHina, Pair SasuSaku, Sakura Haruno
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Dark
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 57215 Read: 25884 Published: 22/03/11 Updated: 26/04/11

1. Chapter 1 by bronzelord

2. Chapter 2 by bronzelord

3. Chapter 3 by bronzelord

4. Chapter 4 by bronzelord

5. Chapter 5 by bronzelord

6. Chapter 6 by bronzelord

7. Chapter 7 by bronzelord

8. Chapter 8 by bronzelord

9. Chapter 9 by bronzelord

10. Chapter 10 by bronzelord

11. Chapter 11 by bronzelord

12. Chapter 12 by bronzelord

13. Chapter 13 by bronzelord

14. Chapter 14 by bronzelord

15. Chapter 15 by bronzelord

16. Chapter 16 by bronzelord

17. Chapter 17 by bronzelord

18. Chapter 18 by bronzelord

19. Chapter 19 by bronzelord

20. Chapter 20 by bronzelord

21. Chapter 21 by bronzelord

22. Chapter 22 by bronzelord

23. Chapter 23 by bronzelord

24. Chapter 24 by bronzelord

25. Chapter 25 by bronzelord

Chapter 1 by bronzelord
Author's Notes:
I OWN NOTHING. Masashi Kishimoto owns the characters, places, and everything in general.
Chapter 1

A small blonde haired boy sat at the edge of a small pond by of the side of the main road. He had been sitting there for most of the morning, and he had been watching the roads. The roads were empty. He sent a searching gaze along the surrounding area, ensuring he was alone. The small blonde boy stood and looked into the water. The clear still water gave him a clear reflection. He saw his unruly blonde hair, his “whisker” like lines on his cheeks, and finally his eyes. They were a clear blue like sapphires, but they held no glow, no life. They were the eyes of the dead, eyes of the living dead. He looked up into the clear blue sky.
Everything is so calm, so peaceful… The boy thought as he began to walk down the pier which led to the center of the pond. He stood at the piers edge and looked down. The pond wasn’t very large, just about twelve feet wide, but it was very deep. He knew this because he had tested the water the day before. He smiled a small cold smile, realizing he didn’t have much time left. With that cold emotionless smile still in place, he stepped off the edge. He hit the water with a big splash, the cold water quickly pulling him down. He felt himself hit the bottom, he made no move to swim up, and as the blackness consumed him his last thoughts were.
I’m coming…

A skinny raven haired seven year old turned the corner of his clan’s hidden path to the main road, when he saw a blonde boy jump into his practice pond.
Dang hoodlums… How dare he swim in MY practice area. He thought scathingly. He walked quickly to the edge of the pond to chew the kid out, but then he saw that the kid was floating at the bottom of the pond.
Crap, He thought. He’s not coming up.
Then without a second thought he jumped into the pond, and swam to the bottom and grabbed the boy. He then began to try and swim back up to the surface, but the extra weight of the other boy was too much for him. He began to fell them both begin to slip back into the cold watery depths. Just as he began to give into his despair and see black at the edge of his vision, he gritted his teeth, and growled.
There is no way I’m going to die now! He thought ferociously. Suddenly, he felt warmth spread through his whole body, a tingly sensation filled him. A huge roar of power rolled thorough him, he felt the muddy floor of the pond, and push against it with everything he had, he felt that almighty rush of energy flow through him again, and he broke the surface of the pond, and flipped out of the water, to land on the shore. He began breathing heavily as he looked over the blonde child; he put his ear to his mouth, and cursed when he didn’t hear anything. He began to scream for help, and began to push on his chest.
“Help! HELP!” he yelled as loud as he could. Then, he finally pushed hard on the kid’s chest, and he spit up a ton of water, and he began coughing.
“Sasuke?!” A strong low voice called out to him. The raven haired boy visibly calmed when he heard that voice.
“Itachi! Come here! Now!”

A taller version of the raven haired boy sprinted out onto the road and spotted his younger brother. When he reached him, he noticed the struggling blonde in his brother’s arms. The blonde boy was struggling to stay conscious, and they were both soaking wet.
“Sasuke! Whats going on?” The younger boy, struggled to calm himself down.
“I came to practice the Goukakuyu no Jutsu (Fireball Technique). When I saw this boy jump in, I thought he was just a street rat stopping by to defile the water, but when I got to the pond he was at the bottom, and he wasn’t breathing, so I swam down there and got him out.”
He shrugged and omitted the strange way they got out. Itachi studied his younger brother, but turned his attention to the struggling blonde. The boy finally managed to get his eyes open. Sasuke looked at his face expectantly, but was surprised to find they were not filled with gratitude, but instead were livid with rage, then, just as quickly as the fire appeared, it vanished replaced by a look of such complete apathy, that it struck Sasuke like a physical blow. Itachi saw the look the blonde gave, and looked up to see Sasuke flinch. Itachi looked down at the blonde, he had feinted. Itachi paused only to ponder what would drive a young child like this to commit suicide. Then he shook his head, then spoke to Sasuke.
“Go home, tell mother and father what happened and tell them I am taking the child to the hospital. I will return as soon as I can.” As soon, as Sasuke nodded, Itachi picked up the boy and slung him over his shoulder. Then, he darted onto the road.

He ran as fast as he could, building up to his maximum speed, as he dashed through the crowded streets of Konoha, darting through the crowds only appearing as a flash of black. He flashed to the entrance of the hospital, landing with a dull thud. He strode into the medical facility, and flagged down one of the nurses. When he presented the slumbering child, she gritted her teeth , then jabbed her finger violently towards a kindly looking older nurse. He moved forward, calling to her. “Excuse me! I was told you could help me.” He approached her and pulled the youth from his shoulder. The older woman is startled.
“Gomenasai! Uchiha-san! Come follow me please.” She led him up to the next floor, and knocked on an office door. Itachi read the sign, Fubishi Maya … A brunette woman with green eyes stepped out of the office.
“Matsuri, what is it?” She turned and saw Itachi and the boy he was holding. When her eyes settled on the little boy she blanched, then sh rushed forward and checked his breathing and temperature. Then she stepped back and spoke.
“Matsuri, get a bed ready. You,” she pointed at Itachi.
“Come with us.” He followed the two of them to an unused room at the end of the corridor. Once inside Itachi gently lay the kid down and ruffled his hair, as he did with Sasuke.
“How did this happen?” he turned and saw that she was quietly observing her patient.
“According to my brother, he jumped into a pond close by our house.” She sighed.
“He can’t swim.” His face scrunched together as he glared at her. She simply leaned against the wall, and rubbed her temples.
“This is the fifth time, Naruto has attempted suicide, this year.” This time it was Itachi who blanched. “Fifth?...It is only July…” He studied the young boy, thinking back to the glare he had given Sasuke, and everything began to make sense. He looked away, out the window before speaking.
“ You called him Naruto? Is he THE Naruto? Uzumaki Naruto?” He asked the question quietly, not expecting an answer. He heard her sigh.
“You saved him, I guess you deserve to know a little bit about the person whose life you own. Yeah, that’s him.” She said it softly. He turned to the small pitiful looking child.
“What a sad child. How can someone so small, desire death so much?” He moved his intense stare onto Fubishi.
“That small boy has lived through some extremely traumatic events, added on top he lost his parents at birth. He has slipped into a deep depression this last year. The Hokage was supposed to have fixed him up with a tail.” Itachi smirked.
“You’re pretty open with information.” She smiled back at him.
“Shush up. I know your ANBU. Anyways, Naruto wasn’t always like this. He used to be a bright powerful personality. But it seems that this village has beaten the life out of the poor boy.” Her voice was subdued, and her eyes shone with unshed tears. Itachi could understand where she was coming from. This child who could have been no older than his beloved brother was facing the world alone, and had to face the hatred, and anger of an entire village on his own. Itachi felt his heart jerk with sudden pain. He looked somewhere other than the small child on the bed.
“You know this isn’t the first time he is in here because he tried to commit suicide. The first time, he slashed his wrists.” Itachi jerked up to look her in the eyes. Her eyes had the faint faraway look as if she was re-experiencing it.
“I almost had a heart attack when the Sandaime, brought him in. But we managed to bring him through it. And the scars have vanished. But he has never been the same since. He now wears that cold, dead, empty look. It seems as though he is there but not there. He is a dead boy walking. Something died in him on that day, something that I don’t know will ever be able to heal. But after that he had an ANBU tail watching over him, and preventing any further suicide attempts. Until now of course.” She snapped out of her reverie, and moved to Naruto bed, placing a gentle hand on his sleeping face.
“Sleep well little one.” She whispered and stalked out of the room. Itachi, stood there for a few minutes more, before following Fubishi out the door.
“Fubishi-san! I would like to ask you something!” He called after her.
Chapter 2 by bronzelord
Chapeter 2
Sasuke was somewhat confused, and right now he was plain curious. He had done everything that his brother had asked him to do. He had run home and he had immediately spoken to his parents. Fortunately, only mother was at home when he barged into the house. She turned to see who was quickly, and smiled brightly at her son.
“Ne Sasu? What happened? Did you forget something?” She loved seeing her son, going out to practice becoming a ninja, trying to tread the footsteps of his ancestors, and to carve a name for himself. She realized it was difficult growing up in Itachi’s shadow, but she and his older brother loved dearly and always tried to be there for him when he needed them. Her smile wilted, shen she saw her son’s face trying to hold back panic.
“sasuke! What happened?!” She rushed to him.
“Mom! There was a boy! He was at the pond where I practice. I thought he was just some street rat! But MOM! He jumped in the water, and he must’ve fainted or something, cuz he fell to the bottom of the pond. I managed to get him out, and breathing when Itachi-niisan came. Nii-san took him to the hospital.” He reached out for his mother. She allowed him to fall into her waiting arms, and she could feel his dampness through her own clothing. She just held him tight, as he was shuddering. She put her mouth next to his ear and whispered comfors into his ear. He stepped back and grinned just for her.
“Mom, I pulled him from the bottom of the pond. I think I saved his life.” He said it quietly. She smiled back at him.
“Of course you did. You are Uchiha Sasuke. You were born to do great things!” She gripped her son to her, for some reason, fear gripped her heart. Sasuke, was careful not to mention two things. First was his close encounter with death himself. Second was the reaction of the boy he had saved. He didn’t mention the first to protect his mother, the second because he wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. Soon, he pulled away from his mother, saying he wanted to go change. He went upstairs and jumped into the shower, his thoughts were wrapped around the strange boy’s eyes. He had never seen eyes like that before.

By the time Sasuke was out and dressed, his father was home. Sasuke came down the stairs and almost ran into him. Uchiha Fugaku, looked like both of his sons. He had long black hair and dark eyes, usually set in a serious manner. However, as he gazed down at his youngest child, they were set in amusement, and pride. He reached down and ruffled his childs hair.
“Sasuke, I’m proud of you. You did a good thing today.” He said it warmly, and Sasuke smiled appreciatively. Such remarks were few and far between from his Father. Fugaku, brought his son down to the table where Mikoto had prepared a magnificent luch. They all had begun to eat as Itachi strolled in. Fugaku smiled at his eldest.
“How is the boy?” He asked loudly. Itachi took his seat, and then answered.
“He is stable. They say that he will be kept overnight to monitor him, then he will be sent back home. However, there is something that makes me think twice about this….business…” Itachi spoke softly. Fugaku’s eye brow shot up.
“What are you suggesting, Itachi? All life is sacred. Every life is worth saving, worth protecting. As a member of the Uchiha Clan, you should know this.” Fugaku spoke just as softly, but his words carried his convictions. Itachi seemed to mulling over this. Then he spoke again.
“I think I would like to discuss this without Sasuke present.” Mikoto and Fugaku frowned.
“Why?” they spoke together. Itachi dropped his eyes.
“It is a sensitive matter. Something that should not be discussed in front of young ears.” Sasuke, suddenly burst.
“Itachi-niisan! You’re only five years older than I am! If this matter is about the boy I saved today, I have the right to know!” He finished with a huff. Itachi, looked at his parents who nodded.

With a sigh, he started.
“The boy’s name is Uzumaki Naruto.” Fugaku froze. Mikioto gasped and dropped her chopsticks. Sasuke’s gaze flickered to his mother.
She has never done anything so common in her life. She seemed to realize what she had done, and hastily picked up her chopsticks and continued to eat as if nothing had happened.
Mikoto’s thoughts were racing, Kushina’s boy… It was Kushina’s boy Sasuke had saved… Then Itachi continued, “On top of that, it appears that this is the fifth time he has attempted suicide.” This time Mikoto blanched, then excused herself.
Sasuke watched his mother get up from the table.
What was wrong? Did she know this boy? Sasuke frowned, and asked.
“What do you mean fifth time?” Itachi fixed him with a serious gaze.
“He has had four other unsuccessful attempts to end his own life. All this year.” Itachi paused to let his words sink in, then he chose his words carefully.
“It would make a sad thing to have Sasuke’s first triumph be soured by the boy taking his own life as soon as he leaves the hospital.” Itachi finished and began to eat. Fugaku sat there, quietly. After a few minutes, Sasuke spoke again.
“Itachi-niisan, do you have the address for the place where he lives?” His voice was subdued. Itachi smiled inwardly.
“yes I do. I had planned on going tomorrow to check on him. Would you like to come?” He said it kindly. Sasuke looked expectantly at their father. Fugaku felt the gazes of both his sons. Both wanted to visit, the boy they had saved. He nodded, seeing no reason as to why they could not go. Sasuke nodded his head, and thanked his father. Then he excused himself, and went to his room. His head was spinning. He’d grown up taught that life was precious, it was fleeting. Something to fight for, to protect. Yet this boy, seemed all to ready to cast his aside. He sat down, and tried to focus he thoughts, and in the ends just gave himself a headache. So he just lay back and closed his eyes hoping for the peace that sleep would bring.
Chapter 3 by bronzelord
Chapter 3
Sasuke and Itachi were both walking. They walked each with his own thoughts. When they were halfway to Naruto’s house, Sasuke stopped and asked Itachi a question.

“What would make someone want to end their life?” Itachi had been expecting this.

“Is this about Naruto?” Sasuke nodded, then started walking again. Itachi carefully pondered this before forming an answer.

“Is it hard for you to understand why that boy did what he did?” Itachi looked at sasuke and saw him nod.

“For you, it is difficult because of how you grew up, ototou. You have grown up as a child should, with parents and a family that loves you and treasures you. You have been taught to treasure that fleeting gift called life, to uphold the family honor and morals that guide our life. Peace, happiness, justice, honor. All of these hold special meaning to you, to me, to our clan, because they are central to us. They make us who we are. They make life the gentle joy we cling to. However, that boy has never known the gentle love of a parent. He has never had anyone to treasure him, to love him unconditionally. He has lived a life of loneliness and uncertainty. He lives by himself, secluded and withdrawn, unable to find any relief to the constant pain of not being able to have what he sees all around him. He watches little boys and girls walking around him with their fathers, with their mothers, envying them, desiring nothing but what a child needs in his life. He stands at the outside of the lives of the villagers, forever at the brunt of their mistrust, their hatred, their malice. He no longer understands what kindness is, he doesn’t understand love, or gentleness. He has never known justice or peace. His whole existence has been thrown into a mire of hate, continuously growing and thriving on the past prejudices of the people of this village. It is hard for us who have learned to treasure peace and the happiness of life that comes with it to be able to level with someone who has been dealt such severe scars. No, it’s nigh on impossible.” He managed to finish quietly.

He looked at his little brother, he knew that Sasuke had absorbed every word he had spoken.

They walked in silence, when they entered the Main part of the village they drew many strange glances.

“those two are Uchiha? What are they doing out here? They never leave their compound unless they have business to attend to!” Whispers followed them.

Itachi clenched his teeth unconsciously, he had planned on protecting his brother from these things. Sasuke heard the people, and completely ignored them, moving forward with the air of a noble of the House of Uchiha. He moved forward with an air of unconcern, while his mind was locked on trying to figure out the puzzle that was Uzumaki Naruto. The boy was an enigma in the most extreme, he did the complete opposite of everything that Sasuke had been raised to believe. He wanted to go and meet him, to talk to him, to find out what “scars” Itachi had been talking about. He had heard every word his brother had said, but instead of quelling his curiosity and allure, they made it burn even hotter. Now he had to know, why the boy had tried to drown himself, why had he been so furious that he had been saved, Why? Without realizing it he had been walking faster than his brother, and only was drawn out by Itachi grabbing his shoulder.
“Sasuke, This is the apartment building.” Sasuke looked up at the tall building, and followed his brother up the stairs. They stopped at the last apartment on the floor, and knocked gently on the door.

Whatever Sasuke had been expecting, it had not been this. The door was opened by the young blonde boy, he stood there as if quite unsure what was going on.

“Who are you?” The boy’s voice was flat and cold. His eyes were cold and empty. Itachi reached down, and said.

“My name is Uchiha Itachi, and this is my brother Uchiha Sasuke.” The boy regarded Itachi’s extended hand with disinterest.

“Its polite to shake hands or bow when you are introduced.” Sasuke looked in surprise at his brother; he had spoken as if it were Sasuke in front of him. Naruto stared at them before bowing, and straightening.

“It is also polite to allow guests into the house.” Naruto shrugged and turned around. Itachi entered and pulled Sasuke in with him. They entered the small apartment. Sasuke turned around looking in vague amazement at the small living space. There was a small mini kitchen with a dining bar, a small lounge area, and a hallway that had two doors on each side. Naruto sat himself down comfortably on the one seater in the lounge, leaving the couch open for the two brothers. Once they had sat down, Naruto fixed his dead stare on them.

“Why are you here?” His question was flat and emotionless. Sasuke almost flinched again at the complete lack of…anything in the boy’s words. Sasuke watched the boys face, it was completely devoid of any emotion, any flicked of interest, he was just there. Itachi once again broke the silence.

“Naruto, we were the ones who pulled you from the pond.” Sasuke saw the boy’s eyes flash. As quickly as the emotion came it was gone. Then he starched languidly.

“Have you come then, to gain my thanks in stealing me from death’s awful door?” He said it sarcastically. The words hit Sasuke, enflaming him. Suddenly, sasuke was engraged.

“I didn’t come here to get anything from you.” He said it clearly, his voice shaking with barely controlled emotion. Naruto’s eyebrow shot up, suddenly focusing on the younger brother.

“I came here because I didn’t understand you. I came here because I jumped into the pond to save you. I came because I wanted to know that you were safe, that you were well. “ Sasuke was shaking now. He could see a small amount of surprise in the other boy’s eyes but there was also fear, and suspicion.

“I came here to allow myself to stop worrying that you didn’t make it, that some complication had popped up and made everything worse.” He cut himself off. He knew he was getting close to yelling, he took a deep breath to calm himself.

“Why should you care about me?” Naruto’s cold voice sliced through him.

“My life, is not your concern, never has been never will be. You and the rest of the village don’t concern yourselves with me, and I don’t concern myself with you. So then, why have you come here with mock pity, and false words? What more do you desire to take from me? My happiness? My dreams? You are already too late, this village has torn that away. And now you come here, after taking away my chance of escaping this hell, and returning to the people who gave me life in exchange for theirs, thinking to gain my thanks?” Even though the boy’s words were flat and soft, the fury was evident. Sasuke was taken aback. He was about to speak again when the blonde’s eyes silenced him.

“I believe it’s time for you to leave.” Naruto got up and slammed the door of his room. Sasuke sat in a stunned silence. He looked at Itachi who sat there for a second as if contemplating something. Then, he smiled at Sasuke.

“Ah, Sasuke don’t worry about what he said. But it is time we left.” He stood up, and made to leave. Sasuke however, remained seated. Itachi turned confused.

“Go home, Nii-san. I’ll come soon.” Itachi stood still studying his younger brother, then nodded and walked out the front door. Sasuke took a deep breath and went to the room Naruto had disappeared into. He knocked on the door and leaned his against it. He heard sniffles on the other side, and knocked more insistently. He heard the door unlock and he was faced with the cold faced boy, with tears streaked down his face. Sasuke couldn’t stop himself, he grabbed the boy in a hug, just like his brother and mother had when he had been sad and crying. He felt the boy in his arms jump, but then he settled in his arms as if he resigned himself to the world. Sasuke felt a sudden weight on his shoulders. He felt pity for this boy but he also felt that the boy was suffering beyond his understanding, and that suffering was from unjust actions. He just stood there and let the blond cry into his shoulder. He tried to gently rub his back, trying to remember what his brother had done for him. He just stood there for a while, letting the blonde release his pent up emotions.

After what seemed hours the blonde pulled away. Sasuke stood there unsure of what to do. The blonde regarded him with a curious expression. Then he spoke in a quiet reserved voice.

“Is it true? Were you here to see that I was ok?” His face was clouded with worry. Sasuke breathed a sigh of relief.

“Yes, usuratonkachi.” He said with warmth, and smiled as he said it. Naruto scrunched up his face,

“I’m not a clumsy idiot!” he said in annoyance. Sasuke smiled brightly.

“Says the boy who just cried my shirt to death!” Naruto seemed grumpy at this statement. Then, he tensed.

“You probably have to go home now, huh?” Sasuke realized Naruto was afraid. He blinked.

“Yes, I do. But I’ll stop by tomorrow ok?” At this Naruto smiled but it was hollow.

“Yes of course you will. Well have a safe trip.” Sasuke waved as he stepped out of the apartment.

“Hmm… That took a lot longer than I thought it would Sasuke.” Sasuke turned to see his brother leaning against the wall, looking at the blue sky.

“I suppose you will be wanting to come back tomorrow, then.”
Chapter 4 by bronzelord
Chapter 4
Two Years Later
Sasuke was walking down the road towards the academy. He was wearing his signature dark blue shirt, with white shorts. He was whistling some tune, he had heard his mother singing this morning. It was a lullaby he remembered his mom was singing to him as a child. HE was still whistling when he felt a presence on his right.

“Ah, shut up teme! I swear, fricking tone deaf is what you are.” Sasuke felt himself smile in spite of himself.

“And a good morning to you too, Dobe.” Naruto, was scowling, but then again he wasn’t really a morning person.

“What the hell has got you so frickin’ happy this morning?” Naruto grumbled, he was wearing a black long-sleeve shirt with grey stripes on the sleeves and the whirlpool insignia, and a pair of black knee length pants. Sasuke smiled.

“Ahh, the sweet thought of smoking more students at the academy has gotten me happier.” Naruto snorted.

Sasuke didn’t need to tell him why he was happy. He and Itachi had spoken this morning about how different Naruto had become. They had become friends, no he corrected himself, they had become more like brothers. Even, Itachi enjoyed being around the blonde. He had a strange air around him. He was desperately trying to be pessimistic around others, but when it was just the three of them, Naruto relaxed into this kind, gentle, and caring person. Sasuke loved that he’d been a part of the transformation. They bickered good naturedly until they reached the Academy, Sasuke sighed as Naruto fell silent and his face sombered and fell into a cold mask of disinterest. But he just kept walking until they reached the classroom, and sat down in the third row, in their seats. They were right on time, and as they walked up Naruto rolled his eyes at Sasuke’s fangirls, they all hung around drooling watching him.
As one girl stepped forward, Naruto sent a hard glare her way. As she scuttled back to the waiting arms of her friends Naruto let his head fall into his hands. He massaged his temples.
Dang….Its only eight. My head is already killing me. I hate this stupid Academy. Naruto just kept trying to assuage his ache as Iruka walked in.

“Welcoem back! How was everyone’s vacation?” Iruka spoke happily, and he looked across the room as he received a smattering of responses. However, his gaze settled on a young blonde wearing a white shirt and black pullover. The boy was staring out of a window.
“Perhaps, we should have a couple people come up and tell us about their break activities?” He waited as several students volunteered. He allowed them up, then called out.
“How about we hear from Sasuke-kun next?” Sasuke shrugged. He stood up told the class about his training with his brother.
“Hmm, and Naruto?” Narkuto kept staring out of the widnow.
“Naruto?...Naruto!” He snapped out his reverie, and glared at Iruka.

“What do you want?” He said flatly. Iruka’s eyebrow shot up.

“Is that how you speak to your sensei?” Naruto looked at him, appearing quite bored with what Iruka was saying.

“I guess that isn’t how I’m supposed to talk to a sensei, but I’m still waiting for you to become my teacher. Until then, I guess you’ll just have to wait won’t you?” Naruto’s eyes bored into Iruka, as if he could see into his deepest recess of his soul. Then Sasuke elbowed him.

“Just answer his question, dobe.” Naruto glared at his friend but then in a quiet voice simply stated he spent his vacation training. Then, he went back to looking out the window. Iruka sighed. He wasn’t quite reaching the boy, and wasn’t sure he would be able to. But he was given this assignment by the Hokage himself, so he’d try his best.

“Thank you, Naruto. But you’ll have to stay for your little outburst.” That made Naruto scowl. Iruka chuckled to himself.

At least he is able to show some emotion, he has come quite a ways in two years.

Sasuke sighed as he packed up.

“Naruto I’ll be at training ground 1. Try to hurry. Aniki hates waiting.” He got up and walked out of the classroom. Naruto was silently fuming. He almost wished he hadn’t promised Itachi he’d obey the Academy teachers. He’d been fine chasing teachers from the classroom, with his impossible manners but Iruka, he was determined, and strangely he seemed to target Naruto as if he could sense something that the boy was hiding.

Well he’ll never know what’s behind my mask. He grinned at that thought. But as Iruka walked up to him, he set His face into the mask of indifference.

“Naruto…”

Great, I’m going to get a lecture about respect again.

“Naruto, what am I supposed to do for you?” Naruto let his head slip to the side, in surprise.

“Naruto, you have been in my care in this academy for the past two years, and yet you continually put space between you and your classmates. You insult others, intimidate people, and insinuate authority in the classroom. I want to help you, I want to understand you! I really do! But you need to meet me halfway Naruto.” Iruka watched as the blonde boy’s eyes diverged from his. He could sense the boy warming up to him already.

“Alright Naruto, you can go now.” Iruka gave him a quick smile, and Naruto gave him a hesistant look before running out of the classroom.

As Naruto ran for the training ground, he spotted something that caused him to groan aloud. Sasuke was cornered by fifteen girls and they were steadily closing in like lionesses on the prowl. Naruto growled as he stopped behind the crowd of pre-pubescent girls and muttered. Then he gently tapped a girl with brown hair on her shoulder. She turned and jumped. He fixed her with his cold empty glare. Then he preceeded to push through the crowd, the girls hissed at him but then they jumped back. When he finally reached Sasuke, he sighed in frustration. He grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. Then he turned to the crowd of girls.

“Scram.” He hissed in anger. The girls disappeared in seconds, except for Sasuke’s two biggest fan girls, Sakura a fiery pinkette, and Ino a pretty blonde. Naruto could feel a headache coming on. The two girls gave him a disappointed frown. He growled at them.

“Sorry, but Sasuke has a prior engagement and you two, have made us late.” They stood their ground and frowned at him more.

“Sasuke-kun doesn’t belong to you!” the Pink haired girl said with a smile. Naruto gave her a feral grin.

“Yes you’re right. But he won’t belong to either of you, ever.” Then, he turned his back on them speaking to Sasuke instead.

“You, were supposed to get to Training ground one. Itachi’s gonna be pissed.” He said it quietly. Sasuke shrugged.

“What do you want me to do? I can’t beat up a bunch of defenseless girls…” Naruto groaned again.
This time he just pulled Sasuke with him, his glare effectively keeping all fan girls at a respectable distance. Once they reached the gate, Naruto turned and yelled.

“Any fan girl found on the training grounds spying will be used for training!” He said it darkly, and pulled Sasuke with him. Once they were inside the training grounds Naruto locked the gates with relish.

“You’re late.” A dark voice muttered. A grumpy Itachi wearing his ANBU uniform was leaning against a training post.

“Don’t look at me. Yell at lover boy over there.” Naruto said it matter-a-factly and proceeded to take a seat against the training poles. Sasuke managed to look insulted as he walked forward.

“You got cornered again, Sasuke?” Itachi’s eyes betrayed his amusement. His face was red with shame.

“I couldn’t bring myself to harm a bunch of innocent girls!” He managed to choke out. Naruto sniggered.

“Oh yeah! Those annoying girls are soo innocent, they didn’t even look like predators stalking their cornered prey!” Naruto snorted with laughter, and Sasuke to his immense annoyance saw Itachi smiling too. Sasuke grunted, then spoke in a sugary sweet voice, that sent shivers up Naruto’s spine.
“Aniki? Can we start with some sparring?” Naruto’s sixth sense was ringing in his head, he was sensing a great danger to his life, as he Itachi nod and Sasuke’s face break into a vicious smile. Sasuke leapt with blinding grace to the open space in front of them.

“Come on, Naruto! Lets have some fun.” As he spoke the last word his eyes flashed and his Sharingan activated. Naruto swallowed hard.

Its going to be a long training session…

After an hour of intense hand to hand combat, Itachi called them to a break. Sasuke nodded, having vented most of his anger out. Naruto winced, and stepped gingerly trying to make his bruised body move any faster than it had to. They settled down and ate a small meal Itachi had with him. Then Itachi had them practice their throwing. He stepped back against a tree. Naruto smiled at Sasuke.

“Sasuke-kun,” He said in a singsong voice.

“Would you like to make this practice more interesting?” Sasuke could sense a brewing revenge, but he couldn’t think of a way to get out of it.

“Sure, Ototou.” He said it because he knew that Naruto hated that he was younger. Naruto smiled,

“Come on Sasuke. Lets see who can land a weapon on the other person’s target.” Sasuke swallowed this time. Even without Uchiha eyes, Naruto was a formidable opponent. Sasuke usually had to rely on his Sharingan to get them on an even playing field. He knew that Naruto was actually a genius who hid his talents, well. But he smiled as well.

“Lets!” HE replied and sent three shuriken at Naruto’s posts which were immeadiately knocked out of the air by two kunai followed by five shuriken at his post. Sasuke managed to hit tehm out of the air, and defend his post. They began to hurl ninja weapons with lethal accuracy at the posts. Thirty minutes later, they were breathing hard and the posts were unharmed but weapons covered the ground in front of them. Then Naruto hurled a knife a Sasuke, who dodged it easily but missed that Naruto had neatly pinned his log with five kill shots. Sasuke scrunched his face in annoyance.

“I win.” Naruto sang like a small child. Sasuke couldn’t help but smile at his friend. Naruto reached down to help his friend up.

“Well done, Naruto.” Itachi breathed into his ear and he yelped and dropped Sasuke. Itachi was gently laughing, as Naruto apologized and glared at him.

“Well it’s time for us to go home.” Naruto moved his face to a smile, but his eyes betrayed the sadness he felt.

“Hey don’t worry! We’ll come down and visit more tomorrow and Nii-san will keep training us right?” Sasuke said with a generous elbow to his Aniki’s ribs. Itachi winced and nodded. This time, Naruto’s smile reached his eyes and he waved them off before going around and picking up the fallen weapons.
Chapter 5 by bronzelord
Chapter 5
Itachi noticed his little ototou was not very talkative as they were walking home.
“Sasuke? Is something the wrong?” He spoke gently, but Sasuke jumped as if broken from a reverie. He looked abashed and shook his head, but Itachi stopped and looked him in the eyes.
“Sasuke, what are you thinking about? No matter what it is, you can always tell your Aniki...” He said it smoothly, coaxingly. Sasuke nodded.
“Onii-san... Have you noticed Naruto lately?” He spoke softly. Itachi laughed gently.
“Yes. How can I not notice that bundle of endless energy and smiles. He has really changed hasn’t he?” Sasuke nodded again.
“He has changed. He’s come a long way from that stubborn jerk to being a good friend. But onii-san... I’m still the only friend he’s got, and he’s still my only friend outside of the Clan.” He said it quietly.
Itachi put his arms around his little brother.
“Sasuke, you have a kind heart. It beats with purity, and justice. You are what all Uchiha should be. Yes, he and you are still alone. But hold fast, ototou. You never know what life might throw your way.” Sasuke smiled at his brother.
“Thanks, Itachi-niisan. I guess i just thought about it today, cuz i saw the kids walking home together after the Academy got out.” Itachi raised his eyebrow.
“You were walking alone? Where was Naruto?” Sasuke blushed.
“Crap. I wasn’t supposed to tell...” Itachi just stared at him.
“Fine! Naruto fought with Iruka-sensei again, and had to stay after class.” Sasuke said it petulantly, but he smiled when he heard Itachi sigh in frustration. He knew that Itachi had thought himself Naruto’s older brother and that they were close. But it still made him smile when Itachi did acknowledge it.
“I’m gonna have a headache...” Itachi whispered as he started to walk again. Sasuke followed him, thinking about the future.

Naruto had finished picking up all the weapons and was on his way out the gate when he heard a small voice. He looked around and pin-pointed the noise, and followed it. He was about to walk in and glare the hell out of who ever snuck in, when he saw the figure. It was a girl, she was leaning against a tree with her back to him. She was wearing a white jacket, and black pants, and she was sobbing her heart out on a tree. For some reason, seeing this midnight haired girl crying like that hurt him inside.
Slowly he walked over to her.
“Hey, are you ok?” He called to her gently.
She turned with a squeak. Her eyes were shining with her tears and her face was red from crying. He stood there unsure of what to do, then he remembered when Sasuke caught him crying. He strode across the rest of the way and pulled her into his arms.
“Shh...Shh... Hush now... its alright... just let it all out.” He cooed to her softly. He just let her sob into his shoulder while he stroked her hair. She has really pretty hair... He thought suddenly. As soon as he realized what he had thought, he shook his head. I don’t even know her. Soon the small body in his arms stopped sobbing, and fell still. Then, she stirred and gently stepped back. Her eyes were red, but they conveyed her gratitude and shame. He felt himself give her his most natural smile.
“Hey don’t worry about it. We all need to cry sometimes, nothing to be ashamed of!” He said it with genuine feeling. He extended his hand.
“My name is Uzumaki Naruto. Whats yours?” She looked at him, as if he was a fearsome predator.
“Uhh...H..Hhinata... Hyuuga Hinata.” She gingerly took his hand. He gave her another one of his smiles, this time a broad happpy smile that lit up his face.
“Nice to meet you Hinata-san! I hope you got it all out!” He clapped her on the back. He saw confusion on her face.
“Whats wrong Hinata-san?” She fidgeted under his gaze.
“Well....I... sit behind you in class....” He blinked. Then roared with laughter.
“Hahaha!! Oh, haha that makes sense.” He manged to get out as he leaned against a tree while he tried to hold in his laughter. She frowned at him.
“Gomen! Its just that i’ve never actually spoken with someone like this before... I forget that... Nevermind.” His earlier happy mood dissipating.
“Why’re you here anyways?” He asked quietly. She turned bright red, and looked at the floor.
“Its a long story..” Naruto sensed that she didn’t want to say, but he also sensed she didn’t want to hold it in either. He shrugged and sat down.
“Well, Hinata! I don’t know if you know, but i have no one waiting for me. I got plenty of time. Why don’t you just talk it out, maybe you’ll feel better?” He said, quoting Sasuke exactly. He almost didn’t think she would take him up on it, he almost never had when Sasuke offered, but then she sat down across from him. She wiped her arm across her face, and locked her eyes with him for a second before looking away. He wanted her to look him in the eye again, her eyes intrigued him. She had big clear light lavender tinted eyes. He waited patiently for her to speak to him.

She bit her lip, then began speaking.
“Uh, I was at home. I was practicing in the courtyard, when my Father came outside with my sister. He told me to come in and spar with my sister. I...I lost.” She looked down again, and he saw her hand curl into a fist, gripping her jacket hard.
“After i lost. My father told me that I was a disappointment, and dismissed me. After that, it was all a blur and next thing i know you were holding me crying, and I’m really really sorry!” She was crying again. He sighed, and pulled her into his arms again. He just let her cry it out. When her tears subsided, he let her go. She mumbled a sorry at him again and he laughed. She looked at him in surprise.
He laughed again.
“I like you Hinata! Would you be my friend?” He locked his warm blue eyes on her teary lavender. When she nodded, he smiled brightly.
“Haha, Hinata. It was really wierd meeting you here, but I’m pretty glad I did.” He was about to get up, then he remembered something.
“Hey, Hinata.”
“Huh?”
“Now that we’re friends that means we have to be honest with each other right?”
“Yes...”
“Why were you scared when you saw me?”
“Mmm... Well... I... Ah....” Hinata blushed hard and tried not to look at him.
“Hinata-sama!”
A man burst into the little clearing. He smiled when he saw her, but then that smile withered when he saw the blonde. Naruto’s earlier smile was gone, now replaced with cold I-could-care-less mask. The light in his eyes had been replaced with a cold empty stare making his eyes darken.
“Hinata-sama, come it is time for you to return for dinner.” He spoke curtly.
“Oh,” She looked sad, and gave him a final I’m sorry look, “Gomen, Naruto-kun. I’ll see you in school!” He smiled back at her, his eyes lighting up just for her.
“Of course, Hinata-hime.” He said the last part to the man standing behind her frowning at him.
He didn’t notice a furious blush explode across her cheeks, and she walked away with the strange man. He watched the two of them leave with a sigh.
Chapter 6 by bronzelord
Chapter 6

Naruto groaned again, Sasuke elbowed him in the side. He glared at him.

I hate this crap. He was about to make a comment when he heard a small sigh from behind him. He turned around and gave Hinata a psuedo glare.

“Naruto! If you’re quite finished distracting your friends, would you please come down here and show us the...” he looked at a list on his desk, “ Transformation technique.”
Naruto felt like saying no, but he felt Sasuke and Hinata’s eyes on him, that and He could still hear Itachi’s warning in his head... So he got up and jumped off his desk and pushed himself to land exactly next to Iruka-sensei. Iruka raised an eyebrow at him.
“Well,well Naruto... Eager are we?”
He then motioned for him to take the center of the front. Naruto stood where he was pointed to, Hmmm... I said that i wouldn’t make any problems for Iruka-sensei.... A devious smile lit up his face as Iruka told him to copy the Third.
“Yosh!” He said with a tinge of sarcasm. Iruka nodded as if Naruto hadn’t slighted him. Then Naruto put his hands together, and concentrated. There was a poof of smoke, and then when it subsided the class burst out laughing and Iruka’s jaw hit the ground. Naruto had gotten the clothes and size right but the face was comically horrid. The eyes were too small, the nose to big, and the lips far too fat. Then, Naruto released the transformation with a subtle smile on his lips. Iruka was both flabbergasted and annoyed. He had purposely chosen that technnque because he had seen Naruto perform it flawlessly before. He scowled at the young man.
“I’m sorry, Iruka-sensei.” Naruto used a honey sweet tone, one that Iruka had never heard before.
“I guess I need to practice this more.”
Iruka frowned, he could feel something was off and then he noticed Naruto’s ghost smile.
“Yes Naruto, you do need more practice with that technique, so I think I shall take it upon myself to see that it gets done!” He said with smile. Naruto’s eyes widen as he realized his plan had backfired.
“Ne, Iruka-sensei! you don’t need to do that!” He hurriedly said, this time in a placating tone.
“Nonsense, Naruto! what kind of teacher would i be if didn’t take care of my students’ needs!”
Crap! Naruto thought. I hate this! I’m going to kill Itachi... Then i’m going to kill him!
“Now naruto! get back to your seat!”
Naruto stomped back to his seat, completely annoyed now, all because of an over achieving teacher! He thought about ditching, but Itachi’s warning floated through his brain again. He sighed.
“You should have just done it.” He heard Sasuke whisper.
He growled, signalling that this wasn’t the time for this. Sasuke shrugged. Naruto just sat there glaring at the teacher in front of the class, until the last bell rang.
“Ok, everyone see you tommorow! Naruto, Shikamaru, and Chouji! You three stay behind.” Iruka called out as they were getting ready to dash out. Sasuke sighed, and just stayed in his seat. Iruka, raised an eyebrow at him. He fidgeted and muttered something about being safer in the classroom.
“All three of you are slacking off in class. Shikamaru you have slept through almost every class, Chouji you have eaten throught the class, and Naruto you aren’t even in the classrooom when i’m talking. All of you, will be taking remedial classes to make up for your failing in class.” Iruka said severely.
Shikamaru yawned and muttered, Chouji asked if snacks would be provided, and Naruto just glared at him. Iruka lectured them about focus for a few more minutes then allowed them to leave.
“You know that he’s right you know.” Sasuke said suddenly as they walked down the halls. “Ha! I don’t need no remedial claasses or even this stupid academy!” Naruto growled.

“How do you know what you need? You’re not a real ninja yet.”

“Mmff! don’t need to be to know that this is jsut a bunch a crap.” He turned adn was walking backwards.

BUMP!

“owch!”
Naruto fell forwards and hit the ground. He turned up and looked who he hit. Sasuke sighed as he expected Naruto to either blow up or give the kid a cold disinterested stare. Then he almost laughed at what happened next.
“Oh my gosh! Are you ok?”

“H..Haha, I..I am ok N...Naruto-kun”

Naruto rushed to his feet, and started to help the other girl to her feet. Sasuke looked her up and down. She had midnight hair and gentle lavender eyes, she wore a white jacket and black pants. Sasuke smiled as he watched his friend fuss over the girl.
“Shoot Hinata! I’m soo sorry! I wasn’t even watching!”

“It’s fine, Naruto-kun.”

“Are you sure Hinata?”

“Yeah! I’m fine.”
Sasuke laughed, and the two of them finally noticed he was next to them. The girl blushed furiously turning redder than a tomato. Naruto was glaring at him, as if asking why he was laughing.
“Sorry! It’s just that I’ve never known Naruto to actually care for someone else that wasn’t a memeber of my family!” Sasuke manged out.
“I’m Sasuke. Uchiha Sasuke.” He said extending his arm forward.
“Hyuuga Hinata.” She took his hand gently as if afraid. He raised an eyebrow at her and she blushed again.
Naruto and Hinata chatted for a while, then Hinata excused herself and she left. then the two boys walked down the hall, desperately trying to ignore the gossip and the angry glares from Sasuke’s fan girls flying down the halls after them. Sasuke just looked a Naruto, who felt his gaze and glared back at him.
“Whaddya want teme?”

“Hnnn? I’m just curious as to who that cute girl was?”
The blonde suddenly blushed. “I didn’t notice.” He lied quietly through his teeth....
“Uhh... yeah... we just kinda met after you and Itachi left..” he shrugged as if it weren’t a big deal.

“Just met? You seemed pretty chummy..” He said in a slow drawl.

“Yeah... i mean i just helped her through... a ...tough time! yeah! thats what it was!”

“A tough time?” Sasuke thoroughly enjoyed seeing his friend stumbling through his explanation. After a short time of Naruto trying to create a scenario less embarassing than it had been, sasuke stopped him.
“Naruto, really its fine. I was just messing with you. I’m really glad you found someone to befriend! Does that mean that I can start bringing friends into our circle? I don’t want you to be uncomfortable.” He stated.

“mmm... I guess thats fine, since i made a friend, its only fair!” He gave Sasuke a bright smile.

“Hehe... I still can’t believe what i saw though.” Sasuke said after a while.

“HUH? what do you mean?” Naruto said quizzically.

“When you saw who it was, i was expecting you to either blow up or just stare the poor girl to death. Instead you jumped up and actually spoke gently to her. You were worried about her.” He smiled at his friend.
“It was nice to see.” Naruto was very confused and it showed on his face and in his eyes. Sasuke sighed and motioned that the two of them go up to his apartment first. Then, once they were inside Naruto offered to make ramen, which Sasuke immeadiately said no to.

“Hey Sasuke, you were talking about something earlier, what was it?” Naruto said from the couch in the living room.
“Ah, yeah. I was talking about you. You might not have noticed it, but you have changed alot, since we first met.” He said quieetly.
Naruto looked out the window behind him for a while. then he turned to Sasuke with watery eyes.
“I don’t feel like I’ve changed at all.” He said in a small voice.

“What do you mean?” Sasuke said quickly.

“I mean, i still feel Their hate, their anger, and it still hurts. And i still don’t want anything to do with Them.” He said it quietly, looking at the floor. Sasuke’s heart went out to his friend, he knew who them was.

“Hey! You HAVE changed! When we first met, you were so closed to me. You refused to acknowledge that you broke down on my shoulder, and you refused to talk to me. You tried glaring me away for a whole two weeks remember?” Sasuke said with a laugh. Naruto laughed with him, remembering futilely trying to force the raven haired boy to leave him a one.

“Then, you remember when I finally through to you?” he asked quietly. Naruto Sat quietly recalling that day.

*Flashback*
“Why the hell are you bothering me Uchiha?! You are here every *@#%ing day! LEAVE ME THE @#$& ALONE!” An eight year old Naruto spat at the raven haired boy three feet away from him.

“You really shouldn’t wear like that. It’s not very civilized.” He answered simply.

“AHH! what the hell do you want!” Naruto finally said, giving in after six months of the boy constantly showing up and nagging him.

“Me? I just want to make sure you’re ok. That and I want to be friends.” Sasuke shrugged.

“What are you spoiled? I don’t want to see you or talk to you, let alone be your friend!” Naruto spat in anger. Sasuke cocked his head to the side.

“What happened to you that made you so bitter?” he asked it softly, and Naruto flinched.

“None of your business.” He said icily, his eyes flashing coldly.

“Really? Have you forgotten? It was you who guilted me into coming back, the first time?” Sasuke said it tiredly.

“You took advantage of a weak moment.” Naruto said coldly, and went to the kitchen.

“Naruto...” sasuke said it gently. He saw Naruto freeze.

“Naruto...Please i want to help you. But i can’t help you if you won’t talk to me.”

Naruto turned and gave Sasuke a cool glance.

“I’m going to say this once more.” He said his voice like ice. “I don’t need your help.”

Now Sasuke was getting pissed. He got up grabbed the boy by his shoulders and dragged him to the couch. He sat him down on one end and himself on the other. He locked his coal black eyes onto Naruto’s cerulean, and stared him down. When Naruto looked away, Sasuke jerked his face back towards him.

“Naruto, look at me! Do i look like I am going to hurt you?” He said it in a low voice.

“...No...”

“Then talk to me. You have trapped to much inside here,” He punched a finger into Naruto’s chest. “and it has begun to fester, you have taken blows and become a wounded animal! the only way to heal wounds to acknowledge them and then take appropriate measures.” He stared into his friend’s eyes daring him to say something against him.

“Now, Naruto tell me what is making you lash out.” He said it softly, but commandingly.

Naruto stood up, and sat in the arm chair across the room. Sasuke let him, sensing he needed space. Then he began to speak in a low monotone voice, as though he was speaking about yesterday’s events or discussing this evening’s dinner plans.

“It started when I was three. I was moved into this place, and my basic needs and wants were taken care of by nursemaids and the Hokage who visited thrice a week. At first it wasn’t bad, the old ladies who would watch over me, were usually nice or they pitied me. Then on the evening of my fourth birthday, I heard a festival being held outside. I had been forbidden from going outside that night, but everything sounded so amazing that i snuck out. I was hanging out with some kids, and it was all ok until their parents came to find them. When the parents saw me, they screamed at me, saying I was defiling their day of memories. Then someone threw a rock, it hit me hard and I started bleeding. I whimpered and started to cry but the parents had worked themselves into a fury and stormed off with their kids. when they were gone, I started to head back to my apartment but I never made it back. A small group of adults stumbled on me, they were drunk and when they saw me they went into a rage. They started to beat me, i got punched kicked stepped on. It seemed to stretch on for hours and when they stopped, I found out I was screaming. Then they started throwing rocks and sticks. I bleeding heavily and must have passed out, cause the next thing I know is I’m in a hospital bed, with the Third next to me and the nurse maid and a nice looking woman. That was the beginning of everything.” He suddenly shrugged, and shut up.

Sasuke sniffled. Naruto looked up at him and saw the tears running down his face. His face was the face of righteous fury and horror. He gritted his teeth and asked Naruto.

“What happened to the people who had attacked you?” He ground out furiously. When Naruto shrugged again, he saw red.

“Don’t know. Wasn’t really important. I don’t think anything happened to them. I was just grateful that a Chuunin had taken me to the hospital.” He said, disturbed by Sasuke’s expression. Sasuke stood up and punched the wall, surprising Naruto.

“Are you ok?” Naruto asked, confused.

“No and how can you be?” Sasuke seethed.

“I’m not ok with it. I just don’t care anymore. Its in the past. I’m just sick of everything.” he shrugged.

“Naruto, I’m so sorry.” Sasuke grabbed his friend in a big hug. “I’m sorry that you suffered like that.” Naruto sat confused for a second, then let the warm feeling inside take over.
*END*

Naruto smiled at his friend. Sasuke returned it. Then, Naruto’s stomach growled loudly.

“Gomen Sasuke! But i’m starving!” Naruto whined. Sasuke laughed loudly.

“Hai, Hai. I guess taht means we have to go to Ichiraku’s then.” And Naruto flashed a brilliant smile at him. He sighed.
“My treat, I guess.”
Chapter 7 by bronzelord
Chapter 7
*A Year and Half Later*
Sasuke sighed again. He had brought Naruto over last night after a long long day of training, his parents had never been averse to him being over and yet they seemed all to happy to see him gone when he had left. Sasuke was about to start to walk to his room when he heard his parents in the kitchen.

“Mikoto it isn’t safe for Sasuke to be around the boy. And it’s not just physical danger either, you know as well as I the dangers that we face by just associating with the boy. It’s becoming to much of a strain on the family to have the youngest son of the Head becoming close to... well to him. There is simply too much at stake to sacrifice over this. We must take action.” Fugaku spoke quietly but resolutly.

“But, Fugaku... He’s finally found some small happiness. A small concession, a small victory that he himself orchestrated with his own power. I think it will hurt him if we ask him to do this. Hurt him in a way that we cannot fix. We should not try to interfere, it is too late for us to try and do anything. We should have moved two years ago, if at anytime.” His mother’s voice sounded choked with emotion. He heard shuffling and the sound of sobbing.

“Hush now, Mikoto. It’s alright. I know it is hard for you.” His father’s voice was so gentle, so loving and tender he almost didn’t recognize it.

“She was my best friend Fu. My best friend, we shared everything with each other, everything. We would spend hours in each other’s company. I loved her as I would a Sister. It pained me more than you ever imagined when I heard the gag order, from the Sandaime. On top of that, he acts so much like her. He looks like his father, but his smile, his mannerisms they are all hers! He has her fiery heart and passion. When i see him, I’m torn between laughter and joy and this heart rending pain.” Mikoto sobbed quietly.

“Hush now love. Kushina, wouldn’t want you like this. Can you imagine what she’d say?” He said gently. He heard his mother give a small laugh.

“She’d tell me to get off my bloody rump and get back to business! She’d tell me to watch over her son, and try to give him a taste of her love. But, Fugaku, I don’t know what to do anymore.” She whispered. Sasuke, dashed to his room. His heart was pounding, he wasn’t sure what was going on. they had been talking about him but he didn’t know who else they had been talking about. Who was the other he, in their discussion, and who was Kushina? He’d never heard her name before. He let his mind drift off on these thoughts.
He woke up the next day to see Itachi’s face hovering over him. Itachi smiled when he saw his little brother’s eyes flutter open.

“Good morning ototou! Come I only have a litle time before I’m needed for another mission.”
“Onii-san! You’re back! Haha, what do you want to do!” Sasuke laughed as his older brother shrugged and said breakfast.
They walked down and said good morning to their parents before laving to go spend some time together. They walked to a restaurant and Itachi paid for breakfast and told Sasuke about his mission. Sasuke dug into the food with a relish, and listened to every word his older brother spoke. After two hours, Itachi said he needed to get to the Hokage Mansion, but he smiled at his younger brother.
“You should go say hi to Naruto.” Sasuke waved as his brother vanished. He walked down to Naruto appartment complex, stopped by the land lord’s who told him Naruto wasn’t in. Sasuke shrugged, and started back home. While on the road home, Sasuke saw the blonde and waved at him. Naruto just kept on his way, as though he didn’t see him. Sasuke frowned and followed him. Naruto dodged and ducked through the crowds as though he was trying to loose Sasuke. But finally Naruto stopped in the park. Sasuke popped up on his side.
“Hey, Naruto whats up?”
“Don’t talk to me.” Sasuke flinched backwards, as Naruto used that cold dead tone with him.
“It would be best for everyone if you would not talk to me, be near me, or even be in my vicinity. In fact it’s the best thing that could happen right now.” Naruto’s eyes betrayed nothing, and they were back to the dead cold eyes that Sasuke had seen in the boy he pulled from the pond two years earlier.
“What are you saying?” Sasuke choked out.
“What exactly are you saying?” HIs voice was thick. Aparently Naruto still felt something, because he let slip some small bit of sadness.
“Sasuke, its not good for you to be around me. I’m a danger to you. I’m an embarrassment. You are an elite ninja belonging to the proud lineage of the Uchiha and on top of that you are a member of the head family. I am an orphan, and an outsider in his own village. I’m an undesirable that will eventually destroy your good image. So please, for your own good.” Naruto said coldly, taking a step back. Sasuke couldn’t believe what he was hearing! He had spent two long years building the trust between the two of them. he was about to step after him, when he saw a look of pure pleading in Naruto’s eyes, that stopped him cold. Then, Naruto disappeared into crowds. Sasuke felt as though there was a hole in his chest as he walked home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sasuke was agitated and waiting alone at his seat in class. He’d gone home the other day and just went to sleep. Now he was waiting in his usual seat, waiting to see if what happened yesterday was a dream. But Naruto hadn’t met him in their usual spot, not did he show up on the way to school. Sasuke felt alone and strangely he felt off balance. He kept looking up when the door slid open and admitted some kids. He could feel the strange looks people were giving him, he had never walked into school alone for the last two years. Finally, when class was about to start and Sasuke had just about given up, the blonde strode into class. He looked deliberately away from the Uchiha and sat at the seat closest to the door. Then Iruka strode into the room, he immediately noticed the sudden change between the two boys. He paused, seeming to do something but continued down to the front of the class.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Naruto had deliberately avoided meeting with Sasuke, he had deliberately avoided walking to school with him, and he had waited till the last second before entering the classroom. He tried to not look at Sasuke, but he could feel his stare. Naruto bit his lip and sat down in the closest chair, he felt kinda hollow doing this forcing away his only friend.
But I have to. This is for him, it may hurt but its for the best. I won’t be the one to hold him back or draw him into my world. He thought ferociously. He looked up and locked eyes with Sasuke, his eyes and the sadness in them, made him flinch and look back down at the desk. He didn’t think about anything and didn’t listen to anything, he couldn’t hear anything. Then, the lunch signal cut through his thoughts, and he jumped up and dashed out of the room.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sasuke turned around just in time to see Naruto dart out the door. Hurt washed through him again. What the hell was his problem?! What did I do that was so bad? Sasuke’s thoughts turned from hurt swiftly to anger. He was about to ignore Naruto when he noticed the group of girl’s in front of him. They were studying him, he gave them a glare and they all scattered. He got up and wandered out to the front of the academy. He sat down against a tree to try and think, when two voices cut through his thoughts again.

“No, Sakura don’t he looked mad.”
“No, Ino, he was hurt. He looked sad.”
“Are you kidding me Sakura? He glared at us!”
“Ino, I’m going to go see if he is ok! You either come with me or get outta my way!” This was followed by a hmph, and the sound of a girl stomping away. Sasuke sat there enjoying the serenity.
“Umm... Hey are you ok?” A pink head poked around the tree and smiled down at him. Sasuke raised an eyebrow at her.
She is one of those crazy girls... He thought to himself.
“Hello?” She waved at him. He just stared at her. Fianlly, she sighed and came aroud the tree and sat down in front of him.
“I wanted to come and see if you are ok, but i can’t tell if you won’t talk.” She said, quietly studying him.
“I am fine.” He said in a toneless voice.
“You don’t sound fine...”
“I. Am. Fine.” He said, gritting his teeth. This time she cocked her head at him.
“You are a bad liar.” She said matter of factly. “Why are you and Naruto fighting?” This made him blink in surprise.
“What are you talking about?”
“Well, you and he have come to school everyday together, eaten lunch together, and talked together for the last two years! He looks at you like a very precious brother, and you smile at him with the same smile you give your older brother.” The pinkette once again stated as if it were a fact.
“Well aparently he doesn’t want to be friends anymore.” he said through grit teeth. He looked up at her ready to yell, but her eyes caught him off guard. Her eyes were filled with sadness, with tears for him.
“I’m sorry, Sasuke-kun. You probably don’t want to talk with me.” She got up to leave, and stopped when she felt a small tug on her long sleeved shirt.
“I didn’t say that.” Sasuke said to her. She gave him a brilliant smile.
“Sasuke-kun, you should know that Naruto really does love you like a brother! The first time i ever saw Naruto smile was with you and Itachi-san. He’s become so much more approachable now, and I’ve even seen him be nice to other people. You’re very important to him, and it probably hurts him to see you like this. Now, I don’t know what is wrong with you both. But you two should get over it and be friends again. Everyone wants to see you smile again Sasuke-kun, and everyone needs to see Naruto’s smile.” She said gently. Sasuke gave her a bright smile.
“Haha, Thank you..”
“Sakura.”
“Thank you Sakura. talking to you helps!” He laughed again. “You know hearing you say it makes me feel better. And you’ve given me some strength. I’ll give him sometime to cool down. If he doesn’t in that time, then I’ll confront him.” He said with more strength. She nodded with him. he looked at her.
“Uhh... could you do me a favor?” He asked her quietly.
“Sure waht do you need?”
“Its two things actually. First, I really liked talking to you. So could you just act like you are now?” He said it quietly, and looked away.
“Of course! And what was the otoher thing?” He turned to see her smile.
“I’d like you to sit next to me... I feel, really wierd sitting by myself.” He murmured. She smiled even brighter this time and nodded.
“Thanks Sakura!” HE got up and offered his hand to her, which she took to get up. They spoke more as they began walking back to class.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Naruto burst through the halls and dove out the door of the academy walking blindly through the small forest in the front of the Academy. He stopped when he was completely surrounded by trees, and put his head against the rough bark of a nearby one. He felt tears streaming down his cheeks, and gripped the tree tightly. He heard a twig snap and spun to face the intruder. Even with tear blurred vision, he recognized the dark hair and big pearl eyes.
“Naruto-kun?” Her voice was small and concerned. Her eyes spoke of untold depths of compassion. she held her arms open, as if in a question. He didn’t even stop to think he just stepped into her arms, and let the tears flow. She held him gently as though he was fragile, and she rubbed small comforting circles in his back.
“What’s wrong Naruto-kun?” Her voice brought hiim out of his well of self pity. he pushed himself back away from her.
“You shouldn’t be around me, Hinata. I’m no good. You and Sasuke are from big powerful clans, you have big bright futures! If you are around me, you are in danger, and everyone will hate you. I don’t want anyone to be hurt because of me.” He said it and took a step back. He looked in Hinata’s eyes, and saw shock and pain there.
“Why are you saying this Naruto-kun?” She said, her voice clearly displaying her pain.
“I was told, I was told why everyone hates me! I’m a danger to everyone. If you are a friend to me, I’ll pull you down, you will have to deal with the hated of this village.” He was almost crying by the end of his sentence. He had closed his eyes, he didn’t want to see her agree with him, to see her turn away. Then he felt a pair of warm arms wrap around him. He was shocked, but he managed to hug her back, and sob into her hair. She backed away from him to give him a small smile.
“Naruto-kun is that why you and Sasuke-san are fighting?” When he nodded she chuckled.
“I suggest that you talk to Sasuke.” He nodded.
“But not today, i don’t think that i could.” She smiled at him.
“Naruto-kun your almost as bad as girl!” She laughed and he poked his tongue out at her. They laughed as she brought him a measure of peace. Then she gasped as she looked down at the time on her watch. She grabbed his hand and dragged him back to class, and when they got there, she went and grabbed her stuff and sat next to him. When she sat down, Naruto noticed Sasuke sitting next to Sakura, and sighed.
The fricken fangirls invade the day I leave huh? He mentally kicked himself. Then, with the help of HInata he managed to make it through the day.
Chapter 8 by bronzelord
*One Month Later*
Sasuke emerged from the testing area grumbling. He was pretty annoyed. He and Naruto had still been fighting. Originally, he had just been sad that Naruto wouldn’t talk to him or even come close to him anymore, then he just became purely furious. He wouldn’t look at the blonde, nor even acknowledge him in anyway. While he allowed his outer image to settle into a seething angered Uchiha, he still was still hurt every time he saw the blonde blanch or flinch when Sasuke threw an uncaring look past him. The only reason he had remained sane, was strangely a peppy and smily pinkette. The girl he had hardly noticed before, was honest, caring , and his rock. He almost laughed when he realized that she had once been one of his most rabid fans. But now she hardly acted that way, mostly she just watched him glare at Naruto and sigh then make a quip comment about the uselessness of the fight, that and she was always there now for him. He grumbled as he walked past a door to see Sakura waltz up to him.

“Hey Sasuke-kun? Are you gonna go apologize today?” She said cheerily.
“Heh. If that dobe wants to have my friendship back he can come crawling back and beg me for it.” He said in a toneless voice.
“That isn’t very kind Sasuke-kun! You should be thinking of good thoughts to draw him back. Now all you do is make him cry!” She said and gasped at what she said. She started to walk away as Sasuke grabbed her hand.
“Where did you hear that?” He hissed viciously. She looked him in the eyes, her cool green eyes cutting his temper short.
“I heard it from Hinata. Aparently, he’s been destroying himself lately. She checks on him, to make sure that he is ok from time to time. She came and found me one day after he broke down particularly bad. She said she just needed to talk to someone about it.” Her voice was sad and low. Sasuke was torn, he wanted to take Sakura and find Naruto and beg his forgiveness, while his Uchiha pride held him to the fact that Naruto was the one who had pulled away first. Sakura could see the indecision in his mind.
“Sasuke, I know you hate that you and Naruto had a falling out. I know that it is practically killing the two of you. Naruto’s already tanking grades, hit solid rock bottom this past month, and you are beginning to show the strain as well.” She placed a gentle hand on his cheek.
“If the two of you don’t make up, then you’re just going to fall into a self destructive depression. Now, Sasuke i don’t know what you think of me but I feel I am your friend. So please, just go and find out what is wrong.” She said it in a planitive voice.
Sasuke was touched, he had never called her a friend before, but she obviously realized what she had become to him in the past weeks. He smiled at her, and spoke.
“Alright but you are coming with me.” She smiled and shook her head mockingly.
“Aww, Sasuke-kun needs moral support? Don’t worry, I won’t let the big bad Naruto bite you!” She said smiling. He stepped out of the the Academy and began asking for the blond,
- - - - - - - -
Naruto waited outside of Hinata’s testing area, pissed. He had been so distracted lately, he couldn’t even concentrate enough to pass the effing test. He just waited with a glower until a victorious Hinata appeared. With her big smile and kind eyes alight with pride, he could find it in himself to be mad. HE smiled for her, and congratulated her when she showed him her band. Then when she stepped back to look at him, she noticed his noticeable lack of Hetai-ate.

“Naruto-kun..”
“Ah, Don’t worry about it Hinata!” He smiled at her to show he was fine.
“Just go find your family to show them. I just wanted to be the first person to congratulate you is all.” He waved as he started off. He walked off, the closer to the front entrance of the Academy, the darker his spirits were. When, he reached the front doors he shoved them open and stepped out with his face carefully set into a mask of indifference. With his mental armor up he strode through the whispering crowds.
- - - -- - -
Sasuke was in the middle of being congradulated by his parents and his brother.
“Itachi! You are here! I thought that you were on a mission!” Sasuke said in glee. He tried to frown as his older brother pulled him into a fierce hug.
“Did you think I would miss my only brother’s graduation?” He said plainly and Sasuke hugged him back. He looked up at his parents, whose eyes were glowing with pride, and hugged his mother. He was about to pull out when he heard whispers from the families around them.
Its HIM! That boy, it looks like he didn’t pass! Good! We can’t have a - Hush, It illegal to say anymore. Just ignore him.
Sasuke frowned and pulled out when he saw his mother stiffen. He swiveled and saw Naruto wearing his mask of coldness, but when his eyes locked onto Sasuke’s in the middle of his family, his eyes flashed a small part of his sadness. Then his eyes snapped up past his shoulder and his face fell deeper into the mask of indifference. Then, he turned to his right and growled at a man who backed up immediately. Sasuke took a step forward, but looked back to see his Father’s hand on his shoulder.
“No, Sasuke.” He said gently. Sasuke’s eyes widened.
“Father...” Itachi’s deep voice purred.
“Why did Naruto-kun look at you as though he was looking at death incarnate?”
“Itachi, that is not a question for such a place.” Fugaku said quietly.
“Really? I think this setting is just perfect.” Itachi, said his voice dropping down low. Suddenly, Sasuke threw his Father’s hand off and ran after his blond friend.
“I don’t really care what’s going on, but when i find out what you said to Naruto, father.” Itachi said quietly, moving after his brother.
- - - - - - - - -
Naruto walked into the small forest, he could already feel the tears falling. He cried as quietly as possible as he pushed farther into the forest, to a place where no one could see him. Once he reached his place he let loose, seeing Sasuke with his family, totally happy, broke his heart. He knew that there was no possible way they could be friends, he was a liability. HE was about to curl up into a ball, when he heard a voice.

“Naruto! Agh! Where the hell are you dobe?!” Naruto sat up as Sasuke burst into his clearing. The Uchiha glared across the clearing.
“Hmph! You almost lost me on the way here dobe.” He smirked and walked closer.
“No! Sasuke please stop!” Naruto’s voice was thick with pain and emotion. Sasuke stopped and gave Naruto a glance.
“What is wrong Naruto? I have let you be mad at me for a whole month! I gave you space! What the hell is your problem?” HE said, ignoring Naruto’s pleas and walked straight at him and looked down at him, his eyes ablaze with anger.
“No, Sasuke please. Just go back, go back to them!” HE pointed a shaky finger back the way that he had come.
“Hell no. Not until you have told me the problem, dobe.” He said simply and sat down. “I gave you a whole f^@#ing month. Now you get to spill.” He said and impatiently sat down in front of him.
“Sasuke. You can’t be near me.” Naruto said in horror.
“The hell I can’t.”
“You don’t understand! They said-”
“Sasuke?” Itachi’s voice called out behind them. Naruto jumped at the sound, and seemed about to bolt when Itachi appeared next to them.
“Ahh, here you are, and with Naruto-kun.” He said and then looked closer at Naruto.
“Naruto, I’m not a monster here to eat you. I came to check on you-” He reached for him and Naruto flinched back. Itachi frowned sadly.
“Gomene, Itachi. I- I cann’t be here.” Naruto said breathlessly. He started to step back. But Itachi stopped him.
“Naruto-kun, did he do this to you?” Naruto couldn’t help but nod. Itachi sighed and let him go. HE watched the blond slink into the shadows.
“Baka! You let him go!” Sasuke rushed past him only to be jerked back to ITachi’s side.
“No, Ototou. We must go to our parents. Father has a lot of explaining to do.” He said tiredly. Sasuke stared at the spot where he had watched his closest friend disappear from and resigned himself to his brother’s will.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Naruto was running blindly now. He had almost ruined everything. Sasuke was better off without someone like him weighing him down. He didn’t know where he was or where he was going just that it didn’t hurt when he was running.
“Naruto?” A gentle voice called him. He stopped and looked up.
“Mizuki-sensei?” He turned around adn wiped at his tear blurred eyes.
“Naruto, Are you ok?” His gentle voice carried concern and his eyes were shadowed by concern also. “Ah.. Well I just...”
“I’m sorry, Naruto. But i heard that you and your friend were having a falling out. I know it must be hard on you to have an elite as a close friend.” Mizuki laid a gentle hand on Naruto’s shoulder. If he wasn’t so proud he would have been bawling into the man’s shoulder, instead he just nodded.
“Well Naruto, you know that there is a way for you to be friends with him, with out anyone judging or hating either of you.” Mizuki whispered. Naruto looked him in the eyes. Mizuki smiled at him.
“In the Hokage’s office is a scroll, it is a scroll of powerful techniques and if you are able to learn them all then no one would even bat an eye that you were friends. Sasuke might even want to be friends with you, and everyone would accept you!” Mizuki whispered at him conspiratorily.
“Where exactly is this scroll?” Naruto whispered back shakily.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Itachi and Sasuke arrived back at the compound and walked into the house to see their parents sitting in the study waiting.
“Where were you two?” Fugaku said without looking up.
“We were talking.” Itachi said quietly and sat down. “Now, perhaps you two want to tell us why Naruto-kun was so afraid of you two today?” Itachi said it in a clearly angry tone, and Sasuke shivered as he sensed his brother’s dangerous anger. Fugaku looked up from the papers he was working on and stared at Itachi.
“Father. Please.” Sasuke’s voice came out hoarse and drawn. Fugaku looked down at his two sons.
“What I did, I did because I judged it needed to be done.” His dark eyes betrayed no emotion. “I called Naruto to our house a month ago and explained some things to him. Things that you two may not be aware of.” His eyes were dark and ominous. Sasuke looked from him to his mother, who was facing away from him.
“What did you tell him Father?”
Chapter 9 by bronzelord
Chapter 9
“What I did, I did because I judged it needed to be done. I feel no shame or sorrow because of what i have done. I did it because I judged it was too dangerous for our family to allow this alliance between Sasuke and Naruto, so I acted and asked Naruto to step away from his relations with our family.” Fugaku spoke quietly, his face empty. Sasuke looked at him and spoke quietly and with as much respect as his fragile voice could show.
“Father, I was not in an alliance, I was in a FRIENDSHIP!” He hissed, stressing the last word.
“Friendships and alliances are two different ways of saying the same thing. You were forming a bond with him, a bond that our famliy could not condone, nor allow. Our political standing in this village is at best fragile.” He gave a pointed look at Itachi. “And having my sons, the sons of the Head of our clan, becoming close with a... an undesireable... is not becoming of our clan, nor will it be sustainable in our current poilitical climate.” Fugaku said without mercy.
“What father, is so Undesireable about Naruto-kun?” Itachi whispered fiercely.
“Itachi. He is a child orphan, he is an outsider, and he bears the brunt of the village’s hatred. All he does is remind this village of how much they lost. He is a constant dose of salt in this villages unceasing wound. It is unfortunate. It is regrettable, and I may not like the present circumstances but it is what it is. We Uchiha still have not overcome our own challenges from the Kyuubi’s attack.”
“Fugaku!” Mikoto broke in turning around her face in a sudden panic. Fugaku paled realizing just how much he had allowed to slip in his silent rage.
“Father, What did the Kyuubi’s attack do to our clan?” Sasuke said with quiet seriousness. Fugaku studied his young son.
“The village Elders and Danzou believed that the Kyuubi’s attack-”
“Fugaku! Stop!” Mikoto pleaded. BUt Fugaku plowed onwards.
“was perpetrated by someone in this clan. I will not deny that idea has it merits, unfortunately no one in this clan, save Itachi has the ability to even supress the Kyuubi, let alone control it.” Fugaku growled.
“Then why blame our clan for it.” Sasuke pressed.
“It is illegal to talk about, Sasuke.” Fugaku said with a sigh.
“I don’t see what all this has to do with Naruto?” Sasuke said quietly, and Itachi smiled.
“Sasuke, we are your parents and we have to try and decide what is the best thing for our child.” Fugaku said in a steely tone. Sasuke felt his temper rise for the first time against his parents.
“Well obviously you don’t know what you are talking about! Naruto needs me! I was his first and best friend, and He was mine.” Sasuke growled back.
“Sasuke, you have cousins.” Mikoto spoke in a placating voice.
“Heh, they are either three years younger than I or three years too old. I have been set in a gap of sorts.”
“Sasuke there are always other people you can be friends with.” Sasuke felt sick, his parents were asking him to cut away two years of his life, two years of hard work. For the first time in his life, he stood up without acknowledging his parents, and walked out, shaking with silent fury.
Fugaku was struck dumb by his son’s sudden change in temperment. Sasuke’s face had clouded over in rage, and his eyes sparked, and he spun on his heel and marched out of the study without a word. Fugaku looked over at Itachi, who was also slightly surprised at his brother’s reaction.
“What is going on?” He said still in shock and leaned back in his chair.
“Aren’t you going to go after him, Father?” Itachi asked after a minute. Fugaku studied his oldest son and shook his head.
“I do not think I shall. It appears he inherited my temper and your mother’s stubbornness.” He suddenly smiled. “I think that Sasuke shall make a fine shinobi one day. If he feels this strongly about this Naruto, then I cannot do anything to stop him I suppose.” He gave his eldest a good look.
“I certainly hope that the peace between the two of them, shall reverberate through the village.” He turned backto his papers, obviously dismissing Itachi. Itachi got up and rushed after his little brother. He made the sudden turn around the corner and bumbed into Sasuke who was waiting for him.
“Itachi! ouch! Anyways! Itachi a jounin came to our door, and said you were needed! They said Naruto stole something fromt he Hokage.” Sasuke seemed frantic as he spoke. Itachi nodded, and dashed out the door to the waiting silver haired jounin.
“Kakashi-san. What is this about Naruto?” He said quickly, hoping Sasuke woudl stay in the house.
“Yeah, Naruto stole a scroll of Forbidden techniques from the Hokage’s Private library.” He said in a quiet voice.
“No way. Those are guarded by powerful wards, how did he get them?” Itachi said surprise coloring his words.
“The Hokage wasn’t very clear on that point but he gave out the command that Naruto be apprehended immediately. Those techniques are both poewrful and dangerous, and if they fell into enemy hands it would be disastrous.” Kakashi spoke quickly then nodded and disappeared.
“Ah, Naruto what have you done now?” Itachi said before disappearing himself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sasuke had hidden himself at the door, and had heard every word.
Naruto wouldn’t steal...Not from the Hokage! He owes a lot to him... He thought to himself, as he looked out to asure the area was clear.
Then he dashed out. If he had done it, he knew where Naruto would be. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him hoping against all hope to get there before anyone else.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sasuke was still running as he neared the front gate, but he had been more stealthy in his movement. HE was almost to the gate when he heard a voice behind him.
“Sasuke? What are you doing here?” Iruka’s confused and concerned voice burst from behind.
“Iruka-sensei?” He turned feeling a small spark of hope.
“Sasuke, it is too dangerous for you to be out right now! Go home.” He scolded.
“No, I can’t. Is it true what they said abotu NAruto?”
“Where did you hear about Naruto?”
“I overheard it from Itachi! He wouldn’t have!”
“I’m sorry Sasuke.” Iruka stepped up and placed a hand on Sasuke’s shoulder.
“It is true that he stole a powerful item from the Hokage.”
“No. Iruka-sensei! He must have been tricked! there is no way Naruto would do something that stupid!” Sasuke said insistantly.
“I agree. But no one can find him. So we can’t prove anything.” He turned form Sasuke and prepared to leave.
“Iruka-sensei, I think I know where he is.”
“What?! Tell me now!”
“No, I’m coming with!”
“Fine, but when we find him, stay hidden until I give you a signal. And if anything happens you run and get help.” Sasuke nodded but hid his hands behind him. Then he took off, motioning Iruka to follow.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Naruto was studying the scroll he had gotten from the Hokage’s Library. He had already learned several things from it. This was a really cool scroll that contained powerful techniques and incredible secrets. He had picked the first technique in the scroll, the Shadow clone technique and learned it relatively quickly, then he turned the page and saw a familiar symbol. It was the whirpool symbol, that was on the back on sleeves of the Konoha vests. He touched it, somehow, he felt connected to it. He pulled more of the scroll out to see, the whirpool was next to a sealing technique.
The life tier sealing ceremony Technique? What is this? He thought as he began to delve into the mysterious sealing technique. As he read about it, the more intrigued he became. The technique was a way of binding another person’s chakra using the living force around them. He put the scroll down as he began to perform the seals and practice the technique.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Iruka and Sasuke heard Naruto before they saw him. The sound of earth cracking and cursing told them where he was. Iruka made sure that Sasuke was hidden before steeping out to see Naruto.
“Naruto! You are in trouble now!” He growled as he walked up to the boy. Naruto was wearing a black tee and blue pants. And he was filthy.
“Aww, Iruka-sensei! You weren’t supposed to find me!” sounding like a petulant child. “I wan’t down yet! I only got one technique down!”
“Naruto! You stole a powerful and dangerous scroll of secret and Forbidden techniques!” He hissed at the boy. Naruto’s eyes widened in shock and he sent a look at the scroll at his feet.
“I-I...I didn’t know! I promise!” Naruto’s voice was low and broken. Iruka stopped at the look on his face. He looked like a beaten animal who had given up on life.
“Naruto,” He said softly. “How did you even know wbout the scroll.” Naruto sniffled and wiped at his eyes.
“I’m sorry... I made trouble didn’t I? All I wanted to do was to get stronger! Mizuki-sensei promised that-”
“Mizuki told you about the scroll?”
“Huh? Yeah, and he told me to take it to a secret place, and learn some techniques so that i could prove to everyone that I could become a powerful nin, and then everyone would allow me to keep my friends!” Naruto was almost in tears, by the end of his sentence.
“Ahhh....Hush hush now Naruto. It’s ok. You didn’t know.” He quickly hugged the boy, trying to console him, realizing the wounds his quick words had inflicted.
“No! It’s not! I can’t be weak or useless! If I wasnt then the whole village wouldn’t hate me, and Sasuke could be my friend, and no one would care!” HE crued pitifully into Iruka’s shoulder.
“Hush now, Naruto! It’s alright! no one will blame you. Its-”
“All Mizuki’s fault? Right?” A voice called from the trees above. MIzuki stepped into their sight.
“Ahh Naruto. Even now you have failed miserably. Can’t even properly hide yourself from prying eyes? How did you expect to be a ninja if you are such a blatant failure.” Mizuki purred.
“Mizuki!” Iruka growled, and pushed Naruto behind him. “Go Naruto. Take the scroll and run.”
“No.” Iruka felt a shiver run down his spine at the sound of Naruto’s voice.
“No, Iruka-sensei. I don’t think I shall.” He stepped out from behind Iruka. “You tricked me?” His voice was deadly cold.
“Of course, Naruto. Did you really think i cared for a monster like you?”
Naruto reamined silent, then he looked up at him. Mizuki flinched back, the ferocity and hate in his eyes were palpable.
“I’m sick of people like you. I’m Uzumaki Naruto, a person. I am not a monster.” His voice slashed out like a blade. Mizuki laughed suddenly.
“Thats right! You don’t know! Do you want to know why everyone hates you Naruto?”
“NO! Mizuki” Iruka started at Mizuki but had to dodge backwards as kunai were flung at him and Naruto.
“HAH! Naruto! You claim that you are not a monster! Oh how wrong you are!” Mizuki spat.
“No, Mizuki stop!” Iruka begged while he moved trying to get closer.
“Naruto, do you know what happened to the Kyuubi after it attacked the village?” He asked in a loud voice. Naruto stared at him, and dodged around several kunai.
“The Kyuubi was sealed into a child,by the Fourth in a final act of heroism. With a technique that consumed the Fourth’s life force! And the child that houses the demon now? Why Narutp think about it, whoever that child is, holds the creature that murdered hundreds of Konoha nin.” He said in glee. Naruto froze, his eyes widened, as everything fell into place, the villagers hate, the Hokage in his life, and the Uchiha clan severing his bond with Sasuke. Tears burned in his eyes, as he thought of the irony of his words.
No, I’m not a monster, I just have one inside of me. He sobbed internally. Mizuki took advantage of Naruto’s shock and horror, by launching a massive shuriken at him. Naruto came to just in time to see the weapon too close to dodge, and too much to guard against. He closed his eyes, and thought about how in the end it was probably better this way.
- - - - - - - - - -
Sasuke heard everything Mizuki had said. Shock and understanding slammed down onto him like a weight of bricks. He was about to come out when he saw Mizuki throw the Shuriken.
“NARUTO!” The scream ripped itslef from his throat before he could stop it. Then he moved forward with everything he had. A flash of black and green appeared in front of Naruto, pushing them both down, before the impact happened, and Sasuke ran forward to his friend.
- - - - - - - - - -
“Naruto!”
That’s wierd why am I hearing Sasuke? Naruto opened his eyes and looked up into the soft brown eyes of his teacher.
“Hey Naruto.” He gave him a small pained smile.
“Baka!” NAruto whipped his head to his left and saw Sasuke holding a Kunai and glaring up at Mizuki.
“What are you doing here?” Naruto asked in quiet amazement.
“Please dobe. There was only one place you would’ve gone with the scroll. This is where we found those sunflowers. We called it our secret haven.” He said without looking away from Mizuki.
“Oh... THats right....” Naruto said and sat up, thats when he saw Iruka. The massive shuriken was sticking up out of his back.
“Iruka-sensei! Wha- Why?” He said feeling tears well again.
“Hush up Naruto! What kind of teacher allows his student to get hurt.” He said with a wince. Naruto stood up anger rolling off of him in waves.
“You trick me, and use me to hurt Iruka-sensei.” He said in a deadly voice. He glared upwards at the silver haired villain.
“Iruka hurt himself, trying to protect a monster like you.” He shrugged. At this sasuke, bristled.
“What the hell do you know about Naruto? If you ask me its the village and its people who are the monsters. Naruto is just a boy, just like me, he has dreams and hopes, and you people crushed them in the most brutal way possible.” Sasuke glared up at Mizuki. Naruto sent his friend a grateful glance.
“Sasuke. I’m going to punish this baka, for hurting Iruka-sensei. Then, you and me have to get him to a hospital.” Naruto said while running his hand throguh his hair.
“Haha, You pathetic drop out. You think that you can fight me a chunin of the village.” Mizuki sneered. Naruto shrugged, then he flashed through five seals,and settled into a seal with his hands clasped and his middle fingers wrapped around his index fingers.
“Living Style: Deadly Demon Plane Supressing Ivy.” He said channeling a massive amount of chakra out wards. Mizuki laughed.
“What kind of pathetic made up technique is -” Suddenly vines of ivy shot up the tree fromt he gound ensnaring him and binding his arms to his body.
“What is this?” He said, panic suddenly in his eyes.
“A gift to you.” Naruto spat at him. “This is one of the techniques i learned from the scroll.”
As soon as he said that, more vines exploded from the ground and bound him even tighter. Mizuki struggled against his green bonds to no avail. He tried to summon chakra to his limbs but all that did was tire him out more.
“I would suggest you settle down. The more you struggle against the bonds, the tighter they will bind you, and they will use your chakra to fuel their biding.” Naurto said simply. Then he focused more chakra into the vines, causing them to bloom. The leaves began to pop out and on the leaves was drawn a sealing spell. Mizuki’s eyes popped out of his head, when he saw this.
“Sealing technique: Binding Demon Ivy.” Naruto said, completing his technique.
The leaves flashed blue once and fell off the vines, and the vines dried up and fell from him. Mizuki stood there for a second then he wavered and fell forward from the tree. Naruto turned to his friend and smiled at him.
Chapter 10 by bronzelord
Chapter 10
Sasuke after a few second of standing there dumbly smiled back at him.
“Naruto? What was that!” Sasuke yelled. Naruto stepped back as if unsure of what to do. Sasuke stepped back and curbed in his curiosity, and stared at him. Naruto squirmed under Sasuke’s stare.
“Ok, fine! I learned it in the scroll.” He pointed at the large scroll of ninjutsu. Sasuke walked over to it and looked them over. His eyes bugged out.
“Naruto! These are Kinjutsu! These are real forbidden techniques.” He gave his friend a look of new respect.
“WELL! I didn’t know that!” Naruto grumbled and kicked at the ground, then he looked back at Iruka.
“Iruka!” He ran over to him and checked him over. Iruka smiled at him.

“I am fine, Naruto.” He gave the blond a genuine smile.
“Now, Close your eyes.” He commanded quietly. Naruto frowned.
“Just do it.” Iruka said softly. Naruto closed his eyes, allowing the darkness to envelope him, and he felt a whisper of touch on his forhead.
“Now open your eyes.” He opened his eyes to see Iruka leaning back against the tree and Sasuke standing next to him with a smirk on his face.
“what happened?” Nearuto asked, confusion coloring his voice. Iruka touched his forehead, which Naruto realized was bare. His fingers shot up to his, and he felt cold metal.
“Well done, Naruto. For what you have done here, I think that you have reached the Academy standards.” Iruka smiled with a big smile. Naruto was still touching the headband with confusion.
“Are you sure Iruka-sensei?” Iruka’s eyebrow shot up.
“Mmmm... Did you call me Iruka-sensei, when you were fighting Mizuki, and when you thought I was hurt?” His eyes glinted mischievously. Naruto stared back at him.
“.... Well.. I ..ah...Ahem...May have...” He mumbled carefully looking away.
“You can ignore that Dobe, Iruka-sensei. He’s a little bit proud.” Sasuke said clearly.
“What! Oho! Like you have a right to talk about other’s pride, Mr. Ego!” Naruto fired back. Iruka smiled as the two boys started fighting again. Then, he started laughing which ended with him coughing up some blood. This caught the two boy’s attention as once again they had forgotten about Iruka’s injury. Narutograbbed Iruka on one side and Sasuke on the other side.
“Iruka-sensei, what are we going to do with him.” Naruto jerked his head back at Mizuki.
“Mmm.... You said you learned some other techniques from the scroll.” Iruka said. Naruto nodded. Then he formed a seal with his hands.
“Shadow clone technique.” Suddenly there were explosions of smoke, and when the air cleared there were five Narutos.
“All right you two get him, you hold the scroll, and I’ll take Iruka.” The original barked out. Then, Naruto was under Iruka’s arm again.
“Come on Sasuke we’ve got to get Iruka to the hospital.” Naruto quipped at him, and they took off.
Ten minutes and three arguments later, the three arrived at the hospital with a crowd of Chunin acting as “guards” for the “fugitive.” After they got Iruka into a bed, Naruto gave the chunin a five minute screaming session of vulgarity and impressive strings of insults, at which Sasuke had to remove himself before he cracked and laughed at his superiors expense. Then he heard the Chunin yell back. Then everything went silent. Sasuke came around the corner, and saw the reason. The Hokage was standing in the middle of the crowd and watching Naruto. Then Naruto, shamefacedly gave up the scroll back to the Hokage, who took it from him with a small smile. Then, he looked up and waved Sasuke over to him.
“Come along with us, young Uchiha.” He spoke in a low voice, that carried across the room. Sasuke obeyed without a second thought, coming to his side as they moved from the main hall to the room Iruka was in. The hokage, stepped up to the nurse and whispered to her, she nodded and left.
“Now, boys...What happened?” He looked the two of them in the eye. Naruto spoke first.
“I took the scroll. But I took it for... a personal reason.” Naruto said quietly. The HOkage gave him a small nod.
“I took it because Mizuki told me that I would be able to become stronger, strong enough to make everyone stop hating me.” He said it in a small voice. Sasuke studied his friend.
“Also, he said that if I mastered the techniques in the scroll, that no one in the village would have the right to look down on me, that no one could take away my precious things.” Naruto’s voice had gone back to the cold haunting voice. Sasuke took the story from there.
“Then, he went and hid away in a spot we had found a while ago. And he trained. Then, after a whole day of searching, the Jounin and ANBU were contacted which was how I found out. As soon as I heard they were looking for him, I knew where he was going to be. I accidentally bumped into Iruka-sensei, and we went together. There he had me hide myself and become a witness. Then, Mizuki showed up and he threatened Naruto and then tried to harm both of them. Then, he told Naruto that he was the Nine-tails container, which shocked him, and then he threw a Shuriken which Iruka-sensei took instead of Naruto. Thats when Naruto used a strange technique.”
“The living chain Tier: Living Style: Demon Binding Ivy?” Hokage asked, and Naruto nodded. The hokage gave the two of them an incomprehensible look. Then he turned to study Iruka for a second.
“You know that the scroll you stole was a scroll of extremely dangerous Kinjutsu. Every technique in that scroll is dangerous for anyone below Jounin rank to look at.” The Hokage turned to look at the two of them.
“Yet, you naruto... mastered two techniques. Both of which would have destroyed a weaker person. Shadow Clones evenly split the chakra of the user into the amount of clones created. And the Living Chains Sealing technique was a forbidden technique. Yet you seemed to have escaped both of them with little wear or tear.” He said quietly. Then his eyes softened.
“Naruto, I’m glad that you are safe. And that you returned the scroll.” Then, he swept the boy into a hug. And the Hokage sent the Uchiha a smile of thanks. Then he left the room. Naruto gave Sasuke a brilliant smile.
“Shall we go home, then?” When Sasuke smiled. Naruto gestured towards the door with a grand sweep of his arm.
“After you my Lord.” Naruto laughed when Sasuke sent him a scathing look. Then he ran out the door, dodging the Uchiha’s swipes. They ran from the disapproving glares of the Chunin, and they ran from the villagers, they ran up the road.
Sasuke stopped chasing Naruto as they got to the junction where they had to go seperate ways. Naruto paused once he realized his friend had dropped his desire to hit him, and came closer. Sasuke looked up at Naruto, and smiled.
“You are coming to my house tonight.” Naruto’s eyes widened.
“Uh... Sasuke...I don’t think that would be smart. I mean I finally understand why everyone hates me. Its cuz of well..” He pointed at his stomach. Sasuke snorted.
“I don’t quite understand it. They hate the Kyuubi? Why hate the host? I will not stand for this injustice.” Sasuke said and started draggin him towards his house. Naruto was trying his best to fight back against the Uchiha, but unfortunately he had a height/weight advantage, causing them to move quickly down the road towards the Uchiha Compound. Naruto fought and scratched until they were at the door, and Sasuke shoved that out of his way.
“Evening, Naruto-kun!” Itachi called as Sasuke threw him into a chair.
“Hi! How are you Itachi!” Naruto said out of habit.
“Mmm... Better now that I know you are safe. But you should really not be fighting with Sasuke, you both might get hurt, and Mother doesn’t allow violence in the house unless she is the one dishing it out.” He said quietly.
“What was that Itachi?” A soft voice called from another room.
“Just complimenting my beautiful mother.” He called back. Sasuke sank into a seat once Naruto stopped squirming. Then, Naruto almost jumped out of his chair when Mikoto swept into the room. She gave him a confused look, and raised her eyebrow.
“What’s wrong Naruto?” She said quietly. He squinted back at her.
“I thought that you hated me.” He said confused. A look of understanding lit up her face.
“Ah, well thats over and done with. Both you and Sasuke have proven that you will remain friends even if we pry you apart. So we have decided that as long as you remain devoted friends you may continue to be so.” She said it lightly and stepped past him into the kitchen. Then she turned back to them.
“Now, its late you shall be staying the night here. But both of you skipped out on dinner.” She ended severly, and waved a ladle feircely.
“You’ll both be eating dinner, getting cleaned up, then sleeping because tomorrow is your first day as Genin.” Then she began putting together something that smelled too amazing for Naruto. Then, a little bit later after they were both stuffed, they dragged themselves to Sasuke’s room, they took turns showering. Then, Sasuke laid out a second futon for Naruto and threw some blankets on them, then pulled his all the way over to the other side of the room. When Naruto walked in wearing his robe, he rolled his eyes at Sasuke’s room placement.
“I don’t move that much in my sleep!” He complained.
“Oh you’re right, you move so much more.” Sasuke said simply, and slipped under his blanket. Naruto grumbled but did the same thing. Sasuke turned to tell his friend off, and He stopped because his friend sent him another smile.
“Sasuke, I don’t know what you said to your parents. But I’m glad we can be friends again.” Naruto said quietly, but with feeling. Sasuke nodded at him and turned around.
“Me too Naruto. Me too.”
The Next Day
Sakura waltzed into the classroom, immediately picked out the change in the room. Sasuke was sitting with Naruto in their usual spot, and Hinata was sitting just behind them. Sakura moved towards them, and Naruto looked up at her and gave her a small smile, then growled at the kid next to him, who moved and made space for the pinkette. She sat down with a smile to the three of her new friends. SHe was about to talk to them, when Iruka walked in.
“Welcome students. Starting today all of you are shinobi for the Village, and are promoted to the class of Genin. From here on out, all of you will be assigned to a jounin teacher, and be placed in a three man cell. Now the first cell is Yamanaka Ino, Akimichi Chouji, and Nara Shikamaru.” Naruto looked back at his detention mates and sent them a small smile.
“The next cell is Inuzuka Kiba, Aburame Shino, and Hyuga Hinata.” At this Naruto pouted. He turned and gave his dear friend a reassuring smile.
“Then next is Haruno Sakura, Uchiha Sasuke, and Uzumaki Naruto.” Naruto burst out laughing. Iruka gave naruto a withering glare.
“What is it Naruto?” HE said irritably.
“Well, How come I have a Sasuke fangirl on my team?” He wiped at his face, and ignored both Sasuke’s and Hinata’s glares. Iruka sighed, and pinched his nose.
“Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke were placed on your team because they had the highest grades out of the academy this year. While you had the lowest.” He said calmly. Naruto coked his head to the side, and gave the pinkette a good look. Then he smiled at her for real.
“Maybe i misjudged you pinky.” He stuck his hand out, which Sakura shook readily.
“If you are quite done.” Iruka said down his nose. Naruto shrugged, and Iruka proceeded down his list. Naruto stopped paying attention and watched this new person. He knew her of course, she used to be a major leader and participant in the whole Sasuke fancult nonsense. But he had never even tried to get to know her on a personal level simply because he had been repulsed by nonsensical manners. But knowing that she wasn’t a complete idiot gave him some consolation. Then he heard Iruka speak again.
“Now thats all of you, you are excused now and will go out to meet your new trainers at the areas I gave you.” Naruto blanched, and Sasuke sighed beside him, knowing he hadn’t paid any attention past his name.

“Hinata, you’ll be fine! You’re an amazing shinobi!” Naruto called to her, and patted her on the head. She nodded, and looked quite faint at the idea of meeting new people. Naruto was going to quip at her again, but then he noticed the two boys waiting at the end of her row. Naruto glared down at them.
“Hinata, if they’re not good to you, you just come and tell me, and I’ll fix everything ok?” He ended it by staring at the boy with a small dog on his shoulder. Hinata gave him an appreciative smile, then she stood up and went with the two boys. Naruto sighed as he watched the girl leave, Sasuke sighed as well, noticing his friend’s sudden protectiveness of the small Hyuga girl. He found this particularly curious as Naruto had never even looked at a girl before, except to criticize her, and now he appeared to be standing guard over this small petite girl.
I think I’ll look into this, later.... He thought to himself.
“Now how about we head over to the classroom where we’re supposed to meet this new teacher.” He drawled and stood up. Naruto frowned at him, then looked at Sakura. He shrugged and followed Sasuke as he got up and began to leave the room.
Sakura sighed as she followed the two boys, Sasuke was still the same,he smiled at her to try and alleviate the hovering cloud of discomfort around her and Naruto.
He must really dislike all of the fangirls a lot, He hasn’t even tried to talk to me once since we left the classroom... She thought to herself. She was about to speak when Naruto abruptly opened a door and ducked inside. She sighed again.
This is going to be a fun ride. She thought sarcastically.
She followed Sasuke in, and sat next to him on the other side of Naruto. After a minute, she found him studying her again, his blue eyes, were clear and piercing, creating the uncomfortable feeling that he could see straight through her. She tried to avoid his eyes but she could feel his stare, and she felt her patience snap.
“You know it’s not polite to stare.” She snapped at him. He just kept staring.
“Mmm... Apparently, you find me appealing to the eye?” She said with a honey sweet voice. Sasuke gagged suddenly, and tried to look away but received a glare from both of them. Then, he smiled at her.
“I just wanted to know that you weren’t some rabid fan girl in sheeps clothing is all.” Naruto shrugged. Sakura’s mouth dropped.
“Excuse me?”
“Well, you used to be one of those crazed freaks.” Naruto said quietly, studying her face.
“Freaks?” She whispered.
“Yeah. One of those cult members. You know that Sasuke-will-fall-in-love-with-me cult.” Naruto said as he got up and wandered over to the window.
“Man, I really hate all those girls. They make my life a frickin living hell. But it’s all beter now, right?” Naruto said turning with a small smile.
“What do you mean? Is that how you really think of us, used to think of me?” She whispered, confused.
“Well, duh! I mean it really sucked to have to guard sasuke against all those crazy nuts.” He sighed.
“I never... even thought about you...” Sakura said quietly.
“Yeah, I could tell. The first time I protected him, I had to hurt some of those crazies.” He said with relish.
“They aren’t crazy! They just want to have a love with one of the best bachelors of the village.” Sakura protested. Naruto laughed hard.
“Look, Sakura. I could care less if all they wanted was to have a relationship with Sasuke. But as soon as they overstep their boundaries, and they did, I am more than willing to step in and clean away any source of unpleasantness.” He said with a savage smile. Sakura gulped.
“And none of those girls, yourself excluded obviously, ever even tried to talk to Sasuke, or even get to know him. All they are, are useless, starry eyed loons.” He finished with disdain.
“What exactly do you think of me now?” Sakura said quietly. Naruto sat back down.
“Ah... I don’t quite know what to think of you. Obviously, I’m grateful to you, but at the same time. I’m very confused by you. I know that you are still a fangirl but you don’t act like one anymore. Also, I’m just not sure that I can even trust a Fangirl.” He said looking her in the eye.
“There are just too many bad eggs among you.” He said seriously. Then, he sent a glare at a laughing Sasuke.
“I need to take a leak, bye.” Naruto said, disappearing out the door.
“Sasuke, Why does Naruto hate me?” Sakura asked with a pained expression.
Chapter 11 by bronzelord
Chapter 11
“Sasuke, Why does Naruto hate me?” Sakura asked with a pained expression.
“Sakura, I don’t think that he hates you. I think that he just has no idea what he wants to think about you.” He said gently, putting his hand on hers. Naruto burst in the door, and cocked his head at Sasuke.
“So, are you making a move on her, or is she just playing with me?” He said as he moved across the room, ignoring Sasuke’s exasperated look.
“Neither, you just have the most horrible timing.” Sasuke said.
“Really, why? Were you going to kiss her.” Naruto asked, suddenly interested. He grinned as the two of them lit up like red light bulbs. Sasuke pulled his hand from Sakura’s and looked pointed in another direction.
Heh, this is an interesting turn of events. Naruto thought as he watched the two blush and stare in opposite directions.
Well, even if she is a fan girl. I’ll have to tolerate her. Apparently Sasuke likes her. He smiled at the couple’s discomfort.
“So, Sakura. What do you like to do?” Naruto asked out of pity and boredom.
“uh... I like to read and ... I like to practice ninjutsu...” Naruto rolled his eyes.
“Read huh? What is your favorite book?” He said watching her.
“Uh.. I don’t really know... There was this old book... I forget what it was called but it was really good.” She said scrunching her face in concentration. Naruto laughed.
“I know exactly what you mean. I have trouble remebering things too!” He cackled gleefully. She pouted at him.
“But my memory is usually very good.” She said pouting. Naruto waved his hand, dismissively.
“Tell me Sakura, how do you have such amazing grades?” He said curiously.
“I study...” She said modestly, causing Naruto to laugh again.
“Please, I saw your grades. Your scores were almost as good as Mr. Elite Genius over there.” He jabbed a finger at a now curious Sasuke.
“Really, all I do is study.” She said defensively.
“Alright. So what kind of techniques do you use?” Naruto asked innocently.
“What do you mean?” Sakura asked quietly.
“I mean Sasuke uses Fire, I use wind, what do you use?” Naruto quipped.
“I... uh... I don’t know.” She said sadly. Naruto got up and sat down next to her.
“Ah, don’t worry. A brainy person like you obviously has the basics down, and probably understands genjutsu. Ninjutsu will come in time.” Naruto said with a smile, and patted her on the back. She seemed to study him for a minute.
“Can you really use Wind techniques?” She asked. He sent her a small smile, and formed several seals. Then breathed out.
“Wind style: Stream.” The wind emitted form his mouth blew open the windows and shattered the glass. He smiled at her.
“See that, that was the first technique I lever learned.” He said cheekily at her. SHe was about to make a retort when the door opened and admitted a silver haired jounin.

“Good Morning, trainees!” Kakashi called as he walked in. He immediately noticed the open smashed windows, and gave them a curious stare.
“Uh... They were like that when we came in?” Naruto tried out. When Kakashi gave him an incredulous stare, he shrugged and clammed up.
“Anyways, I am Hatake Kakashi your new teacher.” He said in a somewhat bored voice and with an eye smile.
“Alright kiddies. Lets go take your first test.” He said with a big smile.

Naruto watched their new teach standing in the middle of the training grounds, he could tell this ninja was an actual fighting brand shinobi. But he was seriously confused about his laid back and distant demeanor. He was very curious but decided it would be better to simply observe their new teacher.
“Alright. This is your first test. You will need to retrieve these two bells from me, by lunch time.” He held up the bells in front of his face.
“Those who retrieve the bells get to eat at lunch. Those who don’t, don’t.” Naruto frowned. He had a feeling there was more to it than just a simple snatch and grab.
“But there are only two bells.” Sakura observed quietly. Kakashi nodded at her.
“You are quite right. Anymore questions. No, ok then.” He pulled out a book, and began reading. Naruto was utterly confused now, he could see the bells at the Jounin’s waist.
Well, he said to take them. He thought as he dove at them.
He blinked once and was slammed hard on his back, and a foot stepped on his chest to hold him down.
“Ne, Naruto. I didn’t say start yet. Ok, Start!” Then, he leapt as two kunai launched at him from Sasuke and Sakura. Naruto flipped himself back onto his feet. He stood back and watched the silver haired jounin move. dodging the projectiles being launched at him from his teammates. He smiled as he noticed a pattern in Kakashi’s movements. He flashed to where he predicted Kakashi to be and launched a furious uppercut. His fist connected with air, and he was once again thrown backwards.
“Nice try Naruto.” Kakashi said as he whipped past him to close in on Sasuke and Sakura. Naruto got onto his knees, and shouted at Sasuke.
“Oi, Move.” Then, he flashed through several seals.
“Wind Style: Twister Shot” He exhaled a small tornado at Kakashi, whose eyes widened a little at the technique.

Sasuke moved like chain lightning, he grabbed Sakura and dodged left.
“Sakura. We need to lure him into a suitable trap. Go set up some kind of trap in the forest, me and Naruto will run distraction. He turned back to see Kakashi dodge the twister, and start running at Naruto. Sasuke flashed through seven seals.
“Fire style: Great fireball.” Sasuke spat a massive fireball at Kakashi’s retreating form.

Kakashi sensing the danger tuned to deal with it, when he heard several Naruto voices.
“Wind Style: Devastation.”
“Wind Style: Pressured Stream.”
Kakashi smiled as he watched the three attacks come screaming at him.
Naruto smiled as the fire technique and two wind techniques smashed into each other causing a fantastic explosion. He waved at Sasuke a victorious smile lighting his face. He saw Sasuke point behind him and he heard Kakashi’s voice.
“Konoha Secret technique: One Thousand Years of Pain!”
Sasuke flinched as he saw his friend propelled into the air, by Kakashi’s unspeakable technique. With a flash of anger, he formed the seals again.
“Fire Style: Dragon Flash Anger!” This time it was a huge tongue of flame that was expelled at the silver haired ninja who dodged back wards into the forests. Sasuke smiled as the fires towered higher, then he sighed and went to find Naruto.
Naruto was cussing up a storm as he stomped towards the giant flames. He glared at Sasuke.
“You couldn’t have warned me that our teacher was coming up behind me and about to VIOLATE me!” HE growled, and walked with him, rubbing his sore rump. Sasuke grinned at him.
“Oh I did. I pointed at him, and this answers one of my questions about you!” He said smiling, trying to urge his friend to run.
“Oh, and what was it you figured out.”
“I’ve always wondered if you were gay... But you’re not.” Naruto swore at him and ran as quickly as he could after the retreating Uchiha.
Kakashi was honestly quite surprised with his students. The Uchiha had a powerful mastery of fire techniques and the Kyuubi child had powerful Wind techniques. However, he was wondering what happened to the pink haired girl had gone when he stepped into a trap. Steel wires snapped up around his torso, tying his arms and his legs together. He blinked in surprise as the pinkette, came out from around a tree nearby.
“I thought that this would be the best place to set up the trap.” She said with a smile. Kakashi smiled at her, then he poofed, leaving a log in his place. He grinned from up in the tree at the incredulous look on her face. He was about to move when the other two came up to her.
“What happened?”
“I had him, but used some kind of Substitution..” SHe pointed at the log. Sasuke sighed, and Naruto growled.
“I’m going to kill him.” He said with murder in his eyes.
“What happened with him?”
“UH....Stuff....” Sasuke whispered at her.
Time to force these kids to want to really work together... HE decided and leapt down.
“Ah, You still have three hours to catch me. If you don’t no one will be eating!” He said gleefully as he popped up in between them.
“TEME!” Naruto roared and launched himself at Kakashi, who easily dodged the flurry of anger strikes.
“Naruto, you need more than that to get these bells.” But as he said it, he saw the other two come from behind and Naruto fell back. Naruto flashed through several seals.
“Wind Style: Pressure Stream!” He said emitting a straight blast of fast cutting air. Kakashi dodged but felt the attack soar past him mere millimeters from his body, and he heard the bells tinkling. He turned at saw the bells flying and hit the ground at the feet of Sakura and Sasuke.
“Hah, Take that you Pervert!” Naruto chroused from behind Kakashi. Kakashi was blown away. HE turned back to Naruto.
“Was this planned out?” He asked curiously.
“Well, If the whole trap thing didn’t work then we needed a way to get the stupid bells. Thank Sasuke, he planned the whole thing out.” Naruto said, and tried to discreetly rub his butt.
Kakashi smiled through his mask.
“Well then, now lets go have lunch!” He clapped his hands and led the way back towards the training posts.
Lets see how they handle this. He chuckled to himself.
Naruto heard his stomach grumbling as Kakashi pulled out the hidden lunches from some bushes. He walked over to where they were sitting and handed two lunches to Sasuke and Sakura.
“There you go eat up.” He said happily and started walking away.
“Hey! Where’s my lunch you Perverted teme?!” Naruto called out in fury. Kakashi turned and clamly said.
“You didn’t retrieve a bell. According to the rules, you don’t get to eat.”
“NOW YOU WAIT A MIN-” Naruto’s rant was cut short as steel thread bound him to the training post behind him, knocking the wind out of him.
“Ja, ne!” Kakashi said as he disappeared. Naruto fumed as soon as he got his breath back. He was about to start cussing, when he heard Sasuke sigh. He turned to look at them, and gasped.
“Hell no. I’m not getting you guys in trouble.” Naruto growled, as they offered him some of their food.
“Naruto, you were crucial to getting these bells. So you deserve some food.” Sakura said firmly. Naruto was about to say something when Sasuke jammed some rice in his mouth.
“Its just easier to force him down the path you want, then try and convince him.” He said bored and shoved more rice into his mouth as he opened his mouth to shout again. This time Sakura smiled, and shoveled some meat into Naruto’s sputtering mouth with Sasuke.
“This is fun!” SHe giggled. Then her giggles turned to a gasp as Kakashi suddenly appeared with his face the picture of wrath.
“You have broken the rules.” His single eye glowered down at them.
“You all...Pass!” He ended with a huge smile.
“HUH?” The three said in unison. Kakashi smiled and untied Naruto.
“I think that this discussion needs a better atmosphere.” He said with a smile.
Chapter 12 by bronzelord
Chapter 12
“I think that the four of us should go and get better acquainted don't you?” HE said as they climbed up onto a rooftop patio. When they arrived, he gestured for them to sit.
“Now, since we are Officially Team Seven, it would help us to talk to each other and get to know each other.” Kakashi said with a smile.
“Kakashi-sensei, What was all that?” Sasuke asked impatiently.
“Ah, Well. You see that was a teamwork test. The test itself was to see if you would be able to shelve you own desires for the good of the team. Very few have ever been able to achieve success in this test.” Kakashi said quietly.
“Now, the three of us need to get to know one another. Let us start with........ Pinky!” He smiled.
With a grandiose roll of her eyes, Sakura began.
“Ah, Yes well....What do I say?”
“Your likes, dislikes, favorite color, dream... Stuff like that.”
“Well ok...I like.... books, flowers, and....uh...other stuff. I dislike when people judge me, I also dislike it when people judge others before getting to know the full story. Uh... My dream... My dream is to become a most powerful kunoichi!”
“Ahh, well done Sakura! Now you, Sasuke.”
“Hn... Well, I like tomatoes, I like practicing ninjutsu, and I like talking with friends. I dislike... Many things! My dream, is to achieve a power beyond the knowledge of my clan and surpass my brother as the genius of the Uchiha.” Kakashi gave Sasuke an approving nod.
“And now you Naruto.”
“Hmmm... I like... Ramen. I dislike.... well... I dislike a majority of the village, ninja, and most people. And my dream. My dream is to become stronger than anyone else, strong enough that no one would dare try and hurt my precious people.” He said without looking at anyone.
“Hmm.... Well, I guess it is my turn then. I like reading Icha Icha novels, and being with good friends. I dislike those who put their friends below anything else. My dream is none of your concern.” He said with a bright smile.
“Huh?” Sakura gave him a frown.
“But we told you our dreams...”
“But I need to know that so that I can properly motivate you.” He said with a smile.
“Tomorow, Team Seven goes on its first mission ok?” He said, and stood up.
“See ya!” He body flickered away.
As Kakashi vanished from sight in a puff of smoke, Naruto glared at Sasuke, as if their teacher’s strangeness was his fault.
“I guess we are all going to be a team from now on.” Sasuke said, shrugging.
“In the mean time, lets really get to know each other. Ramen on me?”
“Hah! I’m in!” Naruto crowed happily. Sakura gave him a surprised look.
I’ve never seen him so happy. What the freak?
“Lets go!”
Several weeks later...
An immense wave of annoyance flowed through Naruto. They had been waiting at the entrance to the mission’s room for three hours. The first time it had happened, Naruto had simply assumed that their teacher was running a little bit late. Now he was sure that his teacher was doing this to spite them. With a huge sigh, he turned back to his teammates who, like him, were very annoyed. Sakura was pacing and Sasuke was leaning against the building with a vein in his forehead pulsing. Naruto sighed. A plume of smoke interrupted his thoughts, and Kakashi stepped out of it, rubbing the back of his head.
“Ahh, Gomen! I was on my way here when I saw this old lady and she was abot to fall out of a tree...”
“LIAR!” all three chroused. Their teacher took a step back wards and apologized.
“Whatever, Kakashi-sensei. Lets just get a mission and get on with life.” Naruto snorted.
“Ah, yes let us go to that shall we?”
“And I’m sick of going on these pathetic pansy D-ranked missions!” Naruto called as he followed the silver haired jonin. Trying to hide a smile, Kakashi turned to him and spoke in a very mock condescending voice.
“Why, Naruto you make it sound as though you didn’t have fun on the last mission!” Naruto choked, and Sasuke and Sakura burst out laughing. Naruto glowed red.

FLASHBACK
Team seven were dashing around, like moving shadows.
“Do you see the target?” kakashi’s voice buzzed across the wireless.
“Target sighted.” Sasuke replied.
“Go with formation seven.”
“Hai!” The three said as they split up.
Naruto flitted from rooftop to rooftop, as he shadowed his target.
“Naruto in. Target in sight. Moving to capture.”
“In position.” Sasuke and Sakura replied.
Naruto dove down and landed lightly and dashed forward.
“Gotcha!” He said eagerly and swiped at his furry target who nimbly avoided him. With a growl of annoyance, he took after it. About five minutes and six failed attempts at catching the furry beast, Naruto felt his frustrations peak. He jumped atop a small stand, and flashed through several seals.
“Wind Style: Spinning Dust Prison.” He spat several small spheres of swirling wind. The spheres danced out and swept up the hissing cat. The swirling winds held the cat prisoner, and brought the troublesome creature up to him.
“Heh, you thought you could get away, pathetic.” He smirked at the imprisoned feline.
“Ah, there you are Naruto. And you caught our little friend too.” Kakashi appeared with Sasuke and Sakura at his side.
“Here you take it.” Naruto said and released his technique, dropping the dazed cat into his waiting arms. He jumped down and stood next to his teammates graciously recieving their proud smirks.
“Umm... Hello?” A small feminine voice popped from behind him. He turned around to see three girls that seemed to be his age huddling together.
“Uh...Do I know you?” The girl who spoke. She shook her head, and gave him a small coy smile.
“I just wanted ask if you were using wind techniques.” She squeaked out. Naruto looked back at Sasuke, his advice jumping in his brain, Be nice to people and they’ll be nice back.
“Uh... yeah...” He tried out a small smile. He was surprised as the girl blushed gently.
“Uh...Well, uh just wanted to um congratulate you on your mission!” She said bashfully and dodged back to a group of girls and they all squealed and pointed at him. Frowning, he turned to his team.
“What just happened?”
END
Ever since, he’d become aware that he had a small fan following. Of course they weren’t as annoying as Sasuke’s fan club, but still Naruto hated the fact that a bunch of girls were stalking him. Plus, recently they had escalated. He shuddered and ignored his friends as they strolled into the mission room.
“Hello! We’re here for another mission.” Kakashi said as he waltzed up to the assigner’s desk.
“Hi, Iruka-sensei! Kakashi-sensei! I swear if we go on another D-ranked on I will blow things up!” Naruto said dangerously.
“Uh... Alright! Do you have any fun sounding C-ranked missions?” He asked Iruka.
“We have a body guard mission. Accompanying a man back to his village.” Iruka said. The excitable blond crowded up to the desk.
“Ooh! Lets do that one!” Kakashi rolled his eyes at the young blond.
“We’ll take it.” Iruka handed over some files.
“You’re to leave at three. Make sure your genin pack for three days.” Kakashi mumbled some thanks and led his team out of the room.
“Alright we’ll meet the client at the gate in two hours.” kakashi said before gesturing them to leave. Naruto rolled his eyes at his Sensei before dashing off to pack.
Naruto was greeted by an interesting sight as he arrived at the gate. Kakashi was actually on time, as were Sakura and Sasuke and all three were talking with an elderly man. He jogged up to greet them.

“Naruto! This is Tazuna, he is a bridge builer and the man that we are escorting back to the Land of Waves.” Kakashi stated with a smile. Naruto studied the older man.
“Heh, You remind me of my grandson at home.” Tazuna chuckled. Naruto gave him a small confused stare.
“You have the same look on your face that he does, my grandson, I mean.” He chuckled, and pinched Naruto’s cheek. Naruto gave the old man an incredulous glare, then sighed deciding to humor him.
“You miss him then?” He said as the group began to move.
“Mmm. I do. I’m glad that we are heading home now.” He said with a smile.
“So. Tazuna what does a brige builder need escorts for?” Naruto asked with out thinking.
“I’m a very important man in my country. Who knows what might happen on my way home.” He said with a laugh. Naruto nodded and let the conversation die. They just walked along the path for hours, in a comfortable silence. The path took them into a forested area, and Naruto watched the Old Man stare around as though the forest itself were to come alive and consume them all.
“Hey old man-” As he spoke, two ninja wrapped Kakashi in a chain. They pulled on the chain viciously.
“KAKASHI!” the three screamed as the silver haired Jonin exploded.
“One down.” The mysterious nin, said.
“Three more.” Naruto stiffened as he felt the ninja reappear behind him. Time fell into a stand still as Naruto attempted to turn and face the attackers.
Too slow... I’m going to die? Naruto thought as he watched the chains zipping through the air. He watched the spiked chains begin to tighten towards him.
Hell no! I am not going to die now. He pushed himself off the ground, and into the air. While in the air, he saw Sasuke throw a shiruken and a kunai to pin the chains to a nearby tree. On his way down, Naruto formed several seals.
“Wind Style: Violent Wind Palm.” Naruto thrust his palm out at one of the strange nin, causing a explosive burst of wind to shoot from his hand and into the ninja. Just as he was about to attack the other one, Sasuke appeared above him and kicked him in the face, flipped back and landed hitting the strange nin with two kunai. Naruto touched down on the ground and stood up back into a battle stance, carefully studying his opponents making sure that they were down.
“AH! Well done, Naruto, Sasuke.” A familiar voice said from behind them.
“Wha- Kaskhi-sensei!” Sakura said in relief.
“Oi, Kakashi-sensei! You’re not dead?” Naruto said cheekily.
“No Naruto, I’m very much alive. Well done the two of you, again. And Tazuna-san...I need to speak to you.”
“Huh?” Tazuna gave Kakashi a curious look, and the two boys a small smile.
“If you were alive, why did allow the kids to fight?” Tazuna asked quietly.
“One, I believed in their abilities. Two, I wanted to know who their target.” Kakashi stared at him as he spoke.
“Now, Tazuna-san. I’m sure you have your reasons for doing this, but the fact that we are meeting enemy ninja in this mission, makes it far more than just a low c-rank mission. In fact, it would probably be a more expensive B-rank mission. so would you care to explain your actions?” Tazuna gave Kakashi a sad smile.
“Of course. But I would prefer to do that, away from here. You may leave now if you want. However know that if you do, I will die.” His eyes spoke his inner turmoil.
“Hmmm.... We really shouldn’t go forward with thi-”
“Ah, Bull!” Naruto interrupted.
“We’re fine aren’t we? Besides, what kind of ninja would we be if stopped because things got a little rough.” Naruto locked eyes with Kakashi.
“We should continue, ‘sides.... This is way more interesting than chasing a stupid cat.” He poked his tongue out at his teacher. Kakashi couldn’t help but smile as the other two gave reassuring smiles at the blond’s words.
“Ah, well then it’s decided. Tazuna-san, Team Seven will continue as your escorts and body guards to and in the Land of Waves.” Kakashi said with finality.
“Oi, Sasuke! Did you see that? I totally owned that guy.”
“Dobe, I was there. And I had to cover your scrawny butt.”
“What!?!” Sakura giggled at her teammates.
“Sakura-chan! You thought I was cool right?” Naruto whined to her. Her eyes widened.
“Naruto...You just called me Sakura-chan!” She squealed. Naruto turned to her, confused.
“So?”
“That means you finally accept me?” She said sweetly. Sasuke gagged and fell to the floor.
“Haha! Dobe, you wasted .... s-so many ...w-weeks trying to ...trying to b-be cold to Sakura.” He said in between his laughter. The blond scowled at the raven rolling on the floor.
“Hey teme, aren’t you supposed to be a prodigy of the oh so superior Uchiha clan? Why the hell you on the floor then.”
“Cuz you’re an idiot. I told you she was a good person.” Naruto hmphed and walked ahead. Sasuke rolled his eyes at his blond friend and smiled at Sakura.
“I told you he’d come around.”
“You know what teme-”
“Actually, I did think that you were kinda cool.” Sakura said suddenly. Naruto stared at her for a second, then burst out laughing.
“HAH! Eat it, even you’re girlfriend said I was cool.” He crowed, and spun knowing both of them were blushing explosively. Kakashi sighed as he followed his eager pupils.
Well, at least they won’t have a problem fitting into Ninja society... And they survived their first skirmish... yeah Think positive Kakashi! He thought grudgingly.
“Oi, you brats! Let Tazuna-san lead! He knows how to get home, do you?” He growled at his grinning students.
“Hai, Sensei!” He sighed again.
They’re starting to be a real team now... He thought fondly as he watched them laugh together.
Even you, Naruto, have started to come alive.
Chapter 13 by bronzelord
Chapter 13
A small boat floated through a world of mist, guided by the careful hand of the bridge maker. The passengers were deathly silent as the mists swirled around them. After a moment of silence, the silver haired jonin spoke.
“So, Tazuna-san. Would you mind telling us what exactly is going on?” Tazuna watched the four nin in his boat before looking back up towards the unseen horrizon.
“The Land of waves has never been a rich country, we have always been considered poor by surrounding nations. However, we never wanted for much, our Island country was able to support us, and give us a means to live a comfortable life. However, all this changed when a cruel and crooked business man waltzed into our country and used his fortune to try and dominate us. For a while, it appeared that he would succeed in taking over our country, then we got permissions to build a connector bridge to the mainland. This bridge is our country’s only hope, the hope to get out from under the thumb of injustice and regain our lives.” Tazuna said as they continued moving through the mists.
“And, who is this business man, Tazuna-san?” Kakashi said, studying the older man.
“Heh, his name is Gatoh.” Kakashi’s eyes bugged out.
“Gatoh? As in the Gatoh corportaion?!” Tazuna sighed in resignation, then jumped in surprise as he felt a hand on his shoulder.
“Don’t worry Tazuna-san. We won’t let Gatoh touch you.” He said with a hidden smile.
The erst of the short boat ride was made in complete silence except for the pole breaking the waves, pushing them on towards their destination. Suddenly, there was a large looming obstruction in front of them, Tazuna guided them with unfallible accuracy, through the rocks and into an opening, where they rode ashore to a pier. Tazuna gestured them up onto, the pier and nodded at some people who, immediately began taking care of the boat. The ninja followed the bridge builder as he began to make his way through a misty road. Kakashi was more interested on the unknown road ahead, when Naruto threw a kunai into the bushes on their right.
“Come on out. I sensed you already.” Naruto drawled in a bored voice. Kakashi glanced over to where the kunai had gone, and saw a rabbit. As his eye brows drew together, Sakura laughed at Naruto, and Sasuke sent him a questioning glance.
“Naruto! Thats a rabbit!” Sakura cackled. Naruto’s eyes shrank to slits as he studied the stupified animal.
“No, I definitely sensed a presence, not a stupid rabbit.” He ground out, pulling another kunai, and stepping closer to the bridge builder, Sasuke already following his lead. Kakashi was about to speak to his team, when he sensed sudden danger.
“GET DOWN!” He yelled and ducked himself, barely avoiding a spinning blade dancing down from a tree, which struck a tree and quivered there.
“Heh. Is that all the Copy Ninja Kakashi is able to do?” A haunting voice called up from where the blade connected to the tree. Warily, the silver haired jonin glanced upwards.
“Hmm... That blade, and your headband. Kirigakure nin, with a sword like that. You must be Zabuza.” He said quietly, studying the grey skinned man.
“Mmm... And you are Kakashi, the infamous Copy Ninja, the one who has copied a thousand techniques.” Zabuza replied. Kakashi didn’t need to turn, to know that his team had created a defensive formation around Tazuna.
“Hey you three, be careful and stay back. This man is known as Zabuza the Demon of the Mist. He is also a master of Silent killing.” Carefully, he reached up and gripped his own headband.
“I’m going to need to fight him, using my full strength.” With that he shoved the head band up freeing his eye from blindness. His vision suddenly got clearer and he could see the waves of chakra flowing off of the missing nin.
“Zabuza, you know my sharingan allows me to see the future. All that lies in your future is death.”
Chapter 14 by bronzelord
Chapter 14
Chills ran up Sasuke’s spine at those words. The Sharingan did not offer up visions of the future, that he knew. But the cold deadly sure way Kakashi had voiced those words told him that he was more than able to fulfilll his promise, nontheless he still jumped a little as the blood lust from the two ninja hit him.
What incredible bloodlust! He was unable to do anything but stand in shock, he managed to take a sideways glance at the others, Sakura seemed not to be able to feel it, whereas Naruto seemed to be studying the two Jonin with wide eyes. He tried to bring his eyes back to the unfolding battle before him. Desperately trying to quell his panic and deal with the situation at hand, he was hit with another searing wave of bloodlust. Just as his control was slipping, Kakashi turned to him and smiled.
“Don’t worry Sasuke. I’ll never let my comrades get hurt.” Sasuke gasped as he saw the red iris with three tomoe floating around the pupil.
“How... How do you have the Sharingan?” He uttered.
“A story for another time. Stay back and guard Tazuna-san.” Kakashi winked at them. Sasuke felt a faint smile stretch across his face, and settled back into his defensive position. Zabuza had been watching the exchange with little interest, and now that it was over smiled underneath his bandages. He flashed through several seals, and smiled.
“Hidden Mist technique.” A dense fog rose up from the ground consuming the group and stealing away all visibility. Sasuke shivered as Zabuza’s cold voice filtered through the dank air.
“Now how would you like to die? Huh? Vein, neck, heart, liver, kidney, lungs, or head?” The malicious voice slid across them as fear incarnate. Just as Sasuke was about to freak out, he felt a massive blast of chakrea, that sliced the mists away from the small group.
“Stay strong, watch over Tazuna.” Kakashi called to them.
“Eh? If you are all watching Tazuna, who is watching you?” A cold voice cut at him from behind, he managed to throw him self down as the sword sang through the air he was in a moment before. He flipped on the ground in time to see Kakashi flash across the space and hit Zabuza. They stood silent for a second before Zabuza collapsed into a puddle of water. A blur crossed Sasuke’s path of vision and struck Kakashi, slicing him completely in half. His jaw dropped as the sliced pieces fell and splashed as water. Sasuke’s sense were reeling, Where was Kakashi? His eyes were searching just like Zabuza’s as a kunai materialized next to his throat.
“Ne, Zabuza-san. It’s over.” Kakashi’s voice cut icicle slivers through Sasuke’s spine. Instead of cowering in fear as the Genin were, Zabuza laughed loudly.
“Kakashi, You are definitely quite amazing. Copying my technique and hiding in the mist, for this moment. However, merely mirroring me will not assure you any type of victory.” Then, he collapsed into water.
“Did you really think that would actually work?” Zabuza’s voice asked him ludicrously, and swung his sword viciously. Kakashi ducked reacting fast, allowing the blade to bury itself next to him. Sasuke grinned, then his grin melted away as Kakashi was booted into the air with a massive kick from Zabuza. He could feel his eyes widen and his mouth drop open.
Kakashi-sensei was kicked away like a rag doll?! He was struggling to reconcile these thoughts he heard Zabuza call out.
“Water Prison Technique.” He swiveled his eyes at the two struggling nin, and emitted a horrified gasp. Kakashi was suspended in a sphere of swirling water.
“Heh, Kakashi I think I’ll leave you for later. Lets finish those brats and the old man first.” Zabuza growled and summoned up a water clone. The water clone walked calmly up to the shore of the small lake.
“Now little brats, you all wear your little headbands thinking that makes you a ninja? NInja is a name given to those who have proven themselves in numerous life and death clashes. You? You are all just brats, and its time for you all to die.” The clone swept up his blade and strode forward menacingly. Sasuke pushed up onto his feet. Somehow or another, he found a kunai in his hands and his arms were shaking.
“Run now all of you! Take Tzauna and run away!” Kakashi screamed to them. Sasuke tried to still his arms and stood firm. Zabuza’s murderous eyes settled on him, causing him to shudder, to realize the fear slowly creeping up his spine.
“Oi, Teme. I’d really appreciate it if I could get out teacher back.” A strong confident voice spoke out at his right. Sasuke’s head snapped to see the owner of the voice, to his surprise it was a certain blond standing at ease.
“Oh ho oh. You must either be really stupid or really brave kid.” The pale ninja mumbled in amusement. Naruto strode confidently forward stopping just in front of Sasuke.
“Neither.” Naruto turned to Sasuke.
“Hey, Baka make sure you take care of Tazuna-san, and Sakura-chan.” A cheeky smile lighting up his face.
“You wish Dobe.” The remark slipped from his lips on sheer habit, wiping away his fear. Sasuke’s eyes hardened and locked on to the water clones. A cold smile flitted across his face before he flashed out of sight. Zabuza’s eyes widened in surprise at the sudden movement.
“Too slow.” Sasuke uttered and slammed his foot down at the former Kiri-nin. The clone side stepped the attack and delivered a massive kick in return sending the raven flying back to where his comrades stood. Sasuke sat back up slowly, wiping blood away from his mouth. As a quip began on his lips it died suddenly as a wave of immense blood lust exploded from his right. His head snapped up at the blond, who was clenching his fists tightly and trying to keep his face emotionless. Naruto stepped forward and in front of the other three.
“You are really something.” The blond’s voice was like jagged ice.

“First you burst in here and take our teacher, and hold him hostage. Then you waltz over here and tell us you’re going to kill us? Now, you’ve crossed a line, a personal line. You touched a person, who is very important to me.” His voice went even colder and took a sharper edge, to the point where even Sasuke flinched a little at the end of his speech. Zabuza had been studying the blond curiously. when he gave him an excited glance.
“Hmm, it looks like one of your students has some balls Kakashi. Too bad that he isn’t gonna live long.” Zabuza practically purred. Then the clone moved forward, bringing the blade up in front of him. Suddenly there was a blur of black and gold, and Naruto appeared in front of him blocking the blade with a kunai and launching a lightning fast punch at the clone. The clone Zabuza ducked the punch and brought the blade back to cut at the blond, who was dancing backwards, and launched several shuriken at the clone. With a sweep of his blade, the clone-Zabuza swept the missiles out of the air, and body flickered behind the blond.
“Heh, DIE BRAT!” He brought the blade down and slashed the boy in half. As the two halves of the body fell to the side they bloomed into twin puffs of smoke.
“Wha-” Zabuza’s cry of astonishment was silenced as steel string pulled itself tight around the clone, the string leading back to raven haired Uchiha who was forming seals as fasat as he could.
“How?” Zabuza’s eyes were filled with surprise as his vision was filled with blond.
“Yo. How about you free my teach now?” Naruto snarled at the pale man, slicing at him with a kunai. Zabuza growled and neatly avoided the attack while keeping his hand in the orb.
“Heh, you’re going to need to do better than that to hit me kid.” As he said it several naruto clones exploded from the water, launching their projectiles at him. Zabuza pulled away from the sphere, avoiding most of the projectiles, save for one kunai from the original. It cut a small gash under his eye. Zabuza stopped atop the water and gave the blond a murderous stare.
“Now, you’ve done it kid.” He darted forward and brought his blade up in a threatingly fast motion.
“You’re gonna die kid.” Zabuza moved faster than Naruto was able to react. The sword arced in the air, plunging down at its blond target with a blood lust all its own. The swish of the blade was suddenly halted with a massive clash of metal. Naruto splashed under the water missing the scene, when his head popped up from under the water to see Kakashi standing in front of him holding the blade at bay with a kunai knife. The silver haired jonin, yelled and pushed the overly large blade aside and dealt the pale man a kick in the chest sending him backwards. Kakashi turned and smiled to Naruto.
“Ne, Arigato Naruto, Sasuke.” The masked ninja favored them with a big eye smile. The smile withered away as he focused his attention back onto the Missing Nin. Zabuza stood and growled at Kakashi.
“Heh, Kakashi this is only prolonging the inevitable.”
“Ah, Yes I am. But now, I tell you the only inevitability is your demise.” Kakashi spoke quietly. Zabuza dashed to his right and so did Kakashi, they ran in a cirlce then stopped. With a flick of his arm, Zabuza sheathed his blade and began forming seals. He looked up and his eyes popped as he noticed Kakashi was performing the exact same seals at the same speed.
“Water Style: Water Dragon Projectile Missile.” They called together. Summoning up a giant water dragon apiece which began fighting above them. Then, the two jonin clashed in the center under the dragons. Kakashi spun and kicked Zabuza again, and flipping backwards putting space between them. Zabuza ran again in a circle, with Kakashi mimicking his actions. Zabuza stopped and raised his arms. His eyes bugged out as he found Kakashi was in the exact same pose.
“read your mind?” Kakashi said amusedly. Naruto bit his lip as he saw the strangely timed phrase hit home with the pale nin. Zabuza seemed thrown by this statement as he cursed and began forming seals again.
“Zabuza-san, I believe I told you that you are only prolonging your inevitable end.” Kakashi said calmly, and Zabuza froze his eyes widening studying something behind Kakashi. Without any hesitation, kakashi finished his seals and released his technique.
“Water Style: Giant Waterfall.” An enourmous explosive vortex of water blasted out in front of the silver haired ninja, catching the swordman in the swift and overpowering current. The blast traveled for a distance before slamming itself into a large tree, and receding back into the lake. Naruto fought with the churning and upheaving waters and managed to catch hold of a branch to stabilize himself, as the water began to fall back into its original place. He looked up in time to see Kakashi sitting on a branch just above Zabuza, who had several kunai jutting out from him. Zabuza seemed to ask Kakashi something in fear, who gave him a quiet reply. Just as the battle appeared over Zabuza jerked twice and fell forward. Naruto stared, but was snapped out of his reverie by a quip from a familiar voice.
“Are you just going to sit there dobe?” Naruto scowled.
“Heh, I’m moving why aren’t you?” He said, quickly pulling himself up and moving up towards the the two jonin. As they approached, they saw another shinobi standing off to the side.
“You were quite right. This was his last battle.”
“Who the hell are you?” Naruto growled, his senses still in overdrive.
“Calm down, Naruto. This is a Hunter Nin from Kirigakure.” Kakashi spoke quietly.
“Thank you Kakashi-san. Now I’ll be taking this.” The slight shinobi bent low, picked up the body, and slung it over his shoulder. Then, he lept away. Naruto glared at the retreating figure, but was distracted by the sway of an exhausted Kakashi.
“Kakashi-sensei!” Sasuke and Sakura dashed forward and caught the jonin as he fell forward.
“What happened?”
“Heh, I may have just pushed myself a little bit too far.” Kakashi spoke sheepishly, but he gave Naruto an eye smile.
“Naruto, did you rush to my rescue because you care?” The blond’s face lit up and he looked defiantly away.
“Pfft. As if. If I had let you die, then Sasuke would have been moping forever, and Sakura would have been very sad.” Naruto said nervously. Kakashi gave his student a knowing smile.
“I’m glad you care Naruto.” The blond grumbled quietly at his statement, while the raven and pinkette smiled on in the back ground.
“Well, if you ninja are done beating around the bush, then we can go to my house, to rest up your Sensei”. Kakashi gave a nervous laugh.
“Gomen Tazuna-san. Shall we continue?” With a large roll of his eyes, Naruto followed Tazuna allowing the other two to bear the burden of carrying their limp sensei after their client.
Chapter 15 by bronzelord
Chapter 15
A vile curse slipped from Naruto’s mouth as he felt his chakra control slip. He quickly pushed himself off the tree as the chakra blast propelled him into the air and scoring the bark where his foot had been. He flipped in midair, positioning himself just in time to land carefully on his feet. He stood, then dropped to the ground after a moment. He glared at the tree in front of him.
Bloody tree, bloody training, bloody Kakashi... He thought venomously.
He upped his glare on the tall tree marked with many scratches going up the trunk with several explosive craters mixed in. With a sigh of resignation, he leaned back stretching out on the soft grass. A soft cry of victory disturbed his peace. Naruto slipped his eyes open, and glanced up to his right to witness a smirking pinkette. She stuck her tongue out at her two companions.
“Suck on that, you two! Girls rule boys Drool!” She cooed, with a cackle. Naruto bit his lip, when he heard Sasuke growl and mumble something.
“What was that Sasuke?” He heard Sakura screech. With another sigh of resignation, Naruto sat up straight.
“Eh, Don’t worry about what that teme says Sakura. How the hell did you get up there?” he quipped at her.
“I’m just too amazing for you.” She stuck her tongue at him again. Naruto rolled his eyes at her, and turned to their teacher, who was lounging against a tree.
“Oi, Kakashi-sensei! How long are we going to be doing this?”
“Naruto, stop lounging around. When you can climb to the top of the tree like Sakura, then you may stop.” The jonin’s voice was flat with boredom. Naruto rolled his eyes at the man, but got up nontheless. He summoned the chakra to his feet, and dashed up the tree, he moved just past his earlier mark, felt his chakra control slip again, slashed the tree trunk and spun off backwards. He landed with a grunt of frustration, successfully ignoring the pinkette’s victorious smirk. He turned just in time to catch sight of Sasuke flying off the tree he was attempting to scale as well. They both turned and glared icicle daggers at their chuckling teacher.
“Ah, sumimasen. Sakura, you can come down from there. I’m going to head back for lunch, you may return when you are ready.” Kakashi used his crutches to limp away. Naruto waited until the Jonin moved beyond his sight, before leaping up onto the tree. This time through sheer force of will he climbed a full foot higher than his earlier marks. When he landed, he sat back down and stubbornly ignored the pink haired kunoichi, whereas Sasuke landed softly next to the two of them and sat down with a smile.
“Hey, Sakura would you be willing to tell me how you got up there so quickly?” She studied the raven for a moment, before letting her face bloom into a happy smile.
“Sure Sasuke-kun.” She said in her sickly-sweet fan girl voice. Naruto had to give her props as he watched his friend squirm under her intense gaze. Then, she leaned in and whispered into his ears and pulled back with a smirk. Her green eyes were burning with amusement as she got up and wished them luck and walked the way that Kakashi had gone. Naruto studied his friend before speaking.
“So.... What did Sakura tell you?” He said conversationally. With a mischievous grin, Sasuke shrugged and replied.
“Hnn.” Naruto felt a little bit of his control slip.
“What do you mean hnn?”
“Exactly what I said dobe. You want some tips go ask Sakura.” Sasuke said, his eyes twinkling with mirth.
“Whatever, teme.” Naruto huffed and strode towards the tree.
I don’t need any bloody tips to climb a bloody tree. He thought with vehemence.

At the moment Kakashi was having a hard time hiding a smirk from the small family and his charges. Sakura was practically glowing, and Naruto and Sasuke were eating furiously. With a large sigh, Kakashi turned to the young woman and young boy sitting next to Tazuna and himself.
“Gomen nasai. They are usually more... civilized.” He said motioning at the two boys, both of whom sent him murderous glances, before asking for more rice. The young woman, Tsunami, smiled at them before filling their bowls. Kakashi simply sat back and watched as the two of them ate at a pace that seemed almost inhuman. Suddenly, they both gagged at the same time and turned around and vomited on the floor. Tsunami giggled at them, while Sakura patted them both on the back disapprovingly and whispered something at them. They glared at each other before settling into an uncomfortable silence. Naruto set his glare on Kakashi, and spoke.
“Oi, sensei. I think I’m going to go back and train some more.” He stood, when the little boy fixed him with a heated stare.
“Why are you doing such stupid things?” The boy asked.
“Its obvious that you will never ever be strong enough to even spit in Gatoh’s direction. No one will ever be strong enought.” He whispered, stood up and started to move past Naruto. Naruto’s arm stopped him in his tracks.
“Now you listen here you little idiot. You don’t know what you are talking about. How will I know if I am strong enough until I try?” Naruto’s voice slashed out at the boy like a physical blow.
“I have people who are important to me, more important than even myself. I would rather let myself die trying to protect them, then let them suffer any form of harm.” his voice was cold as ice, and hard as steel. The boy gave the blond a wide eyed stare, as though he was hearing something else. Naruto released his arm, and turned away from him.
“There are two ways you can live your life, brat. You can go through life as a coward afraid of even living. Or you can become strong, find things that are important to you and striving to protect them with all of your power. Ultimately the choice is yours, and in the end you, and you alone, have to live with the consequences.” Naruto spoke it with a tenderness that, had even Sasuke shocked and drop jawed. Naruto spun around and nodded at Kakashi, before sweeping out of the house. It was a few seconds before Inari exploded.
“Who the hell does he think he is!” He snarled at the silver haired jonin. Kakashi stared at him for a second before he nodded at Sasuke.
“I think that he would be able to answer your question, Inari-san.” Kakashi sat back, watching Sasuke. After a few moments Sasuke spoke quietly.
“Naruto... Naruto is an interesting person. He... uh... He has never had a family. No siblings, parents, cousins, or grandparents.” Sasuke was studying Inari’s face, as he spoke.
“He grew up alone, a ward of the State of Konoha. But not only that, he grew up being hated by everyone around him. No one wanted to be friends with him, no one wanted to be in the same vicinity as him. He bore the brunt of the village’s hatred for seven years before I met him.” Sasuke’s voice became slightly pained at the memory. Sakura turned to her friend, and put a gentle hand on his shoulder.
“How did you meet him?” Inari asked, his interest piqued.
“I met him as he tried to commit suicide in my family’s practice pond.” Inari’s eyes popped in his head.
“What- But..”
“I saw him jump. And i rushed in and saved him, took him to a hospital. He was in the hospital for a whole day. That was when I found out, that this wasn’t his first attempt.” Sasuke’s eyes were glazed over as if he were far away.
“After that day, I strove to get him to talk to me. At first he was just completely cold to me. He was an emotionless wreck. Then, he turned into a furious angry person. Then, about three months after I started to get to know him, I finally broke through that shell of his. He told me about all the hate crimes that villagers had done to him. Now for me, who had grown up with the thought of the existance of justice, it was a horrible awakening. This poor innocent boy had grown up without the love of a family, without knowing the gentleness of being with people who love you, and instead bore the hatred of an entire village. No one would spare him a kind word, or a gentle glance. No one would even tell him the crime for which he suffered. Naruto has grown up knowing only injustice and pain, but still he maintains his gentle heart.” Sasuke gave the boy a small smile.
“Naruto has lived a hard life, harder than anyone else’s. But he has found something to anchor himself with, something that he uses as the reason for his existance.” Inari frowned, but took the bait.
“And what is that?”
“He chooses to walk the path of the guardian. He decided a while ago, that he has important people, people worth protecting. So he searches constantly for the power to protect that which he treasures the most.” Sasuke said with a wry smile.
“Will you all excuse me now? I wouldn’t want Naruto to get any farther ahead in training than he already is.” Sasuke got up and walked out, ruffling Inari’s hair on the way out. Inari watched the Uchiha leave with confused frown, then he too slowly got up and walked into his room.

As Sasuke stepped out from the house, he turned and smirked at the blond who was leaning against the wall. Naruto stuck his tongue out at him, then gave him a grateful smile.
“You didn’t have to say anything. No one has to defend me.” He said slowly. Sasuke gave him his famous Uchiha smirk.
“Really dobe? You need to develop some people skills. Otherwise me and Sakura will be cleaning up your failed attempts at friendship.” Naruto wrinkled his nose in distaste.
“Making friends is hard. I don’t even know why you bothered trying to talk to me.” Naruto shook his head, only to get punched in the head.
“I love a good challenge. Plus it didn’t hurt that you challenged my core morals, dobe.” Sasuke replied, grinding his fist into the shorter blond’s head. Naruto growled and swept the raven’s legs, and walked off.
“Ja, ne Sasuke. I’ll be at the tree.” He said with a wave over his shoulder. Sasuke didn’t move for a while, a smile plastered on his face.
Heh, Naruto. Are you trying to make friends? Do you feel some kind of comraderie with Inari?
Flashback
“Man, what the hell is wrong with that idiot brat kid!” Naruto spat as he leaned against the wall glaring at the door where Inari had walked through after arguing with the blond. The dark haired Tsunami gave him a pained glance, and Tazuna simply shrugged. But without explanation Tazuna got up and handed him a picture. the picture was that of Inari and a kind looking man.
“Eh? Who is this?” He touched the face of the smiling man. Tsunami gave a sad smile, and Tazuna tried not to show any emotion.
“That is the man that Inari came to love and revere as a father. His name was Kaiza. He was a good man. Inari never had a father, as Tsunami’s husband died when he was very young. Inari met Kaiza, when he fell into the dam and started to drown. Kaiza had jumped into the cold churning water and pulled Inari out. After that, he and Inari became closer than even I was to the boy. Inari Idolized him, and Kaiza, well he loved Inari like his own. They began to spend every waking moment together. In time, he won myself and Tsunami over. He even married Tsunami so he could become a proper father for Inari. We were happy for a time. Then about three years ago, Gatoh began to move in. He started buying up all of our shipping comapnies. And slowly our way of life began to fall. About a year after Gatoh had almost monopolized our shipping industry, almost all of the citizens had given up but not Kaiza. He stood against Gatoh , a spitting furious figure of righteous anger. He would tell Inari, and myself, ‘If something is truly important to you... even it's heart-breaking, even if it's sorrowful... you keep on trying and trying, even if you lose your life, you keep on protecting it with these two arms!! ...Then, even if you die, you leave behind the proof that you are a man... forever...’ He was so vehement and persuasive, that Gatoh was forced to deal with him. Gatoh’s thugs took him one night and cut his arms off. Then, they had him publicly executed. Inari watched the whole bloody ordeal, and it broke him. After that, he believes that his father lived by empty words and he turns a blind eye to the predicament of our village like most villagers. He has been that way ever since. Always running from his demons.” Tazuna had turned away from them during his tale and Tsunami had left the room. Naruto studied the picture, the pure smile on the small boy’s face, before handing the picture back to Tazuna.
“Don’t worry Tazuna-san. Everything will work out.” Naruto said softly, patting the elder man on the back.
“I promise that by the time we head home, Inari will have seen the error of his ways.” Naruto gave the elderly man a dazzling smile. Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi gasped together. Tazuna gave the blond a look of confusion.
“I’ll prove to him, that his father’s words weren’t empty.” Naruto’s eyes spoke of the depth of his promise.
End Flashback
Sasuke chuckled quietly and sat up. Studying the stars with a happy grin, Sasuke got to his feet and walked after his blond friend.
Naruto, Are you actually becoming a human being again? He wondered as he moved along the small trail.
Chapter 16 by bronzelord
Chapter 16
Putting on an extra burst of speed, Naruto plunged ahead with a desperate energy he didn’t know he had. He sputtered and heaved, trying to reach the receding figures of his friends, then he fell.
“AH!” He jumped out of bed with a scream, still breathing heavy. He scanned his surroundings, before his foggy brain put everything together. He was in Tazuna-san’s house. With a gentle sigh, he turned to the side and saw a small note.
Your prize for working so diligently yesterday. You are allowed to sleep in. When you wake up, come down to the bridge, and help watch over Tazuna.
Kakashi.
The blond groaned quietly, and rolled to his feet. Quickly he dressed and stepped outside of the room, to see Tsunami.
“Ohayo, Naruto-kun!”
“Ohayo, Tsunami-san.”
“Have some breakfast before you go. Your friends said to let you sleep.” Tsunami handed him a bowl of rice. A quick smile of gratitude later, Naruto dove into his rice with a vengence. Within seconds Naruto finished his bowl and handed it back to her.
“Arigato, Tsunami-san.”
“Ah, Not a problem dear.”
“Ok, I’m heading out.” He said with a quick wave. He ran out of the house and leapt into the closest tree, and began making his way up towards the bridge. The wind blared in his ears, and pushed his hair back. Backflipping off a branch, his eyes cut down at the ground, and saw deep slash marks in the tree below him. His curious nature overpowering his reason, he ducked back down to the ground and ran his fingers over the slash mark. He sighed as he realized it was a blade’s mark. He turned and saw another blade scar in another tree. He looked farther down the way, and paled. The blade marks were fresher as they moved towards the house. He quickly dashed back the way he came.
“Don’t touch him or I’ll kill myself!”
Naruto glowered at the statement, and stood outside waiting for the men to come out. He didn’t have to wait long, the two men walked out with Tsunami behind them.
“What the- Get the hell outta the way brat!” THe bigger one growled. Naruto’s eyes narrowed and became icicle slits.
“And who exactly, is going to make me? You, the big ape, or him, the stick wielding monkey?” Naruto grated, his finger pointing to both of them in turn. The big “Ape”, growled at moved at Naruto before the small one could move. He slashed at him, Naruto calmly sidestepped the blow, and slammed his fist into the man’s jaw. He smiled coldly at the sickening crunch of shattering bone. Then he spun through the punch weaving seals together.
“Wind Style: Violent Gale Palm.” He yelled and heelpalmed the smaller man in the chest balsting him over the house and out of sight. Only once he was sure that the two men were down for the count, did he turn back to Tsunami.
“Are you ok?” Tsunami gave him a small smile, then they both heard a small noise behind them. Naruto snapped his head to the side to see, a small boy standing in the doorway. His eyes were wide and there were tears sliding down his cheeks. Eyes softening upon seeing him, Naruto strode to him and put his hand on his head.
“Heh, I heard you in there? You tried to defend your mom.” He ruffled Inari’s hair fondly, before straightening up and stepping away. Then, he stopped and turned back with a brilliant smile.
“What you did, trying to be brave in the face of danger, thats true strngth. Its that kind of strength that makes heroes, like your dad. Today, Inari you became a hero just like him.” Naruto’s eyes glowed with pride. He fixed his smile on Tsunami.
“Ah, Gomen. But I have to go and make sure that my friends are ok.” He bowed once and leapt into the air.
Sparks flew as the metal weapons clashed between the two ninja, Sasuke and a Masked Hunter nin. Sasuke pushed hard against the boy wielding a long senbon. Scraping the kunai balde along the needle trying to get at the other boy’s fingers. However, everytime the sharp edge approached the boy spun and slammed his weapon back into place. With grit teeth, Sasuke spent all his focus on studying his movements. This time when he slashed at his fingers he anticipated the spin and used the mom entum to force him back hard. He lifted his blade a bit, as the boy steeled himself. Then the masked boy appeared in front of him and slammed his senbon into the kunai with more force than before. Sasuke pushed back just as fiercely. He was about to perform the manuever again, when he saw the boy forming seals with one hand.
“One handed seals?” His eyes widened in amazement as he felt a cold blast of air around him.
“Thousand Water needles of Death.” The masked boy uttered coldly and pushed hard against him. Sasuke saw the needles around him begin to descend at him, he summoned chakra to his legs and pushed himself into the air, narrowly avoiding the skewering needles. When he landed, he straightened up and smirked at the masked boy.
“Sorry, it’ll take a lot more than that to kill an Uchiha.” Sasuke flashed through several seals.
“Fire Style: Great Fireball.” He shot a large fireball at the masked boy. At first he did nothing, then he formed a single seal with his hands. The fireball sputtered into nothingness as a thick ice wall formed in front of him. Eyes wide Sasuke studied the structure in front of him.
“What the-”
“This is my power, Uchiha Sasuke. This is my Gekai Kekkai. The Demon Ice Mirrors.” The boy formed more seals. Suddenly, there were more large ice walls around him and above him. As these walls appeared, sasuke heard Zabuza chuckle from his fight with Kakashi.
“Kakashi, you’re pupils dead now. He may have been able to stay on par with Haku before. But now, now that Haku is using those its not possible for him to win.” The silent killer chuckled from the mists.
Sasuke studied the walls around him, when suddenly they all had the masked boy, Haku in all of them. Even the one facing the ground had a reflection of him int it.
“I’m sorry, but I can’t allow you to win. From here on, is your end.” Each of the twenty one Hakus raised their arms, hands holding senbon. Haku, all of them, launched his projectiles, filling the air with singing metal needles. Sasuke slashed out with his kunai, and dodged to the side, avoiding and knocking many senbon from their deadly path. He raised his eyes and watched the mirrors, and clenched his teeth. Summoning up his chakra, he focused his power to his eyes.
“Sharingan. (Mirror Wheel Eye).” He felt the power stir in him, chakra flowing faster more heatedly. The world seemed to slow and clear up in front of him. He could see event eh most minute details more clearly, seeing the miniscule cracks and flaws on what had appeared earlier as flawless ice. He straightened up and turned slowly, allowing his Sharingan to absorb as much information as possible. The chakra flow from each mirror was the same,a dn there was no way for him to discern which mirror held his prize. He sneered and flashed through his seals again.
“Fire Style: Grand Fireball” This time it was a larger fireball sent at the closest mirror, once again the fireball fizzled out as it hit the mirrors.
Tch, I’m at a major disadvantage here. Gotta escape. He slipped his hand into his pouch, and slipped out a smoke bomb. He slammed the bomb into the ground and ran at full speed at a gap in between mirrors, just as he was getting close he felt pain flare in his shoulder and ducked to the side and saw several senbon hit the ground. As the smoke cleared, he glared at the mirrors trying to uncover their secrets.
“Sasuke-san. I’m coming again.” Haku launched into another attack. Sasuke watched the senbon coming at him. He managed to block the senbon coming at him, and caught a blur of something at the edge of his vision. He stared at the mirror next to where the blur had been.
Haku quelled a spike of fear, as Sasuke stared at the mirror he was currently in. He refocused his chakra, and prepared to jump.
Sasuke saw the movement, saw a blurred movement jumping in and our of mirrors almost instantly one after another. Just seeing the blurs allowed him to more effectively defend himself. He managed to avoid the projectiles and block those he couldn’t. He smirked as the volley came to an end.
“It seems that I am starting to see.”
“It doesn’t matter what you have begun to see, its over. I will win out, and you will fall.” Haku said dispassionately. He raised his hand, the senbon showing quite clearly.
“Forgive the interruption. But who will kill who?” A quiet voice cut across the battle field. Sasuke turned to see the speaker. Naruto was standing just outside mirrors, looking in. Sasuke glared at the blond.
“Naruto stay out there. Its too dangerous.” He hissed. Naruto glared right back and studied the mirrors coldly.
“Hmmm... But its not too dangerous for you?” Sasuke opened his mouth to retort, when senbon screamed down at him. Bringing up his kunai up, he already saw his reactions coming too slow. Then a blast of wind scattered the senbon in every direction, and a blond stood in front of him with his arm swept to his side.
“I don’t think so.” Naruto drawled in a bored way.
“That was foolish. You’ve entered into my domain.” Haku said sadly.
“I don’t think it makes a difference whose domain this is. Because my friend is in danger here, and nothing is going to stop me from protecting him.” Naruto said coldly. Warmth flooded Sasuke, and a small smile slipped out on his face.
“Hn, Nice words Dobe. Anyways, listen. I am starting to see his movements. I just need you to keep his attacks from getting me, I need to adjust to his speed.” Naruto nodded once, and formed a seal.
“Mass Shadow Clone Technique.” Suddenly there were many Naruto everywhere. At some unheard signal all of the Naruto leapt into the air each one targeting a single mirror. Sasuke watched the mirrors carefully and saw a blurred image leap out of mirror and move at another mirror, then fly out at another one. The blurred image took out the shadow clones in a matter of seconds. Naruto came skidding back to stand next to Sasuke.
“Did you see him?”
“No, but my eyes are adjusting faster now. I saw more than just a blur. One more time. And I’ll have him.”
“Alright then. Mass Shadow Clone Technique.” The space was filled with Naruto’s again, and once again they pressed their attack. Sasuke was ready this time he saw Haku move and as he watched the boy move from mirror to mirror, he saw the pattern and formed seals.
“Fire Style: Phoenix Sage Fire Technique.” The fireballs aimed at the mirror exploded just before they hit the mirror. When the smoke cleared, Sasuke saw with much satisfaction that the edges of Haku’s pant legs and right side had been burned slightly. Haku studied himself before speaking.
“Uchiha. You are far more dangerous than I gave you credit for.” Naruto stood directly in front of his friend.
“Dobe. Don’t worry about me. Get ready for the next strike.” Sasuke hissed. Then spun to the left.
“NOW!”
“Shadow Clone Technique.” The mass of Naruto’s appeared again, this time, they all formed seals together.
“Wind Style: Violent Gale Palm.” The explosive force of the wind strikes exploded about and around the ice mirrors, sending all the senbon flying. This time when Haku appeared he had more scorch marks on his clothing, and a few tears. Naruto stood next to his friend protectively, while Sasuke smirked.
“You were right, Haku-san. It is over.” Sasuke said with a smile. Then, the smile disappeared as he saw Haku move out of the mirror. Senbon flew from his grasp from every direction, and Sasuke moved before Naruto could think.
Naruto felt the mighty push, and fell to the side. As he hit the ground he heard the thuds of the senbon hitting their target. Naruto snapped his eyes open and sat up. Horror and bile rose up from his throat.
“Sasuke!” The raven stood tall and proud, but pierce in many places on his body, especially around the base of his neck. The blond jumped to this feet and caught him as he fell forward.
“Sasuke, you stupid stupid idiot! Teme! Why the hell did you do that?! WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!” He screamed, viciously shaking and slapping the Uchiha. Sasuke grunted in pain, but managed a chuckle.
“Eh, don’t really know, dobe. Just moved. No time for thinking really.” His voice was a hoarse whisper. Naruto felt the brilliant pain flare in his chest as his friend’s face gave one more smile, and gasp before falling silent.
“Sasuke. How the hell am I going to face you family?” Naruto whispered as his tears fell, tears of anguish and loss scoring deep to his soul.
“What kind of ninja are you? You let your emotions show so easily, and you aren’t able to defend your comrade or fulfill your purpose.” The masked boy said quietly from all around him. Something inside of Naruto snapped at that statement. His shaking stopped, and he placed Sasuke gently and closed his eyes.
“You.... You have stolen one of my precious, precious people.” Naruto ground out, through unshed tears. Anger and pain welled inside him, filling him up and sending power through his being. He could feel it, the heat and fury of the otherworldly force pouring out of him like an overfilled cup. He closed his eyes, and followed the throbbing power to its sources deep within himself.
Kyuubi.
Ahh, Well brat its about time.
What are you talking about?
You have finally come to this place. You wish to draw off of my power, no?
Yes. Give it to me.
Heh. Brat there is always a price for everything. Remeber that kid.
Shut the hell up and give me the power, you useless fox.
Hmmm... You are a very interesting kid. Take it brat. We’ll talk later.
Eyes snapping open, Naruto snarled as primeval power exploded from his body. Scarlet chakra spilled from his body with waves of murderous intent.
“Now, I’m going to kill you.” Naruto spoke in a voice as cold as the ice mirrors. He pushed off of the ground flying at the mirror allmost as fast as Haku could move. Haku came out of the mirror and jumped up at another mirror, while throwing senbon at him. Nauto waved his hand at them, and the force of his chakra blasted them backwards. Haku hit the mirror and shot back at another mirror. Just as he was about to hit that mirror, he saw a red coated fist slam into his face. The force of the blow smashed him backwards through a mirror, shattering it. Haku bounced and flew backwards before coming to a halt several hundred feet away.
Haku managed to get up on all fours, to look up at the blond boy, Naruto. The boy hadn’t moved since the punch, instead he glared at the mirrors before screaming. Haku felt the huge explosion of chakra, and witnessed the shattering of every single mirror. The shards flew outwards from the enraged boy. Only, once the hated mirrors had been dealt with did he turn back to him. By then, Haku had managed to return to his feet. A wry smile cutting across his face, as he heard his mask cracking. Then the blond was flying at him, his fist raised about to deal the death blow, when his mask fell. Haku closed his eyes waiting for the oblivion.
Gomen Nasai, Zabuza-san. I have failed.
Haku waited for a few seconds more before, he heard the boy speak.
“You... Why are you?” Haku opened his eyes to see the blond boy with tears on his face.
“Why are you here?” A sad smile gracing his face, he spoke quietly.
“Naruto-kun, Kill me.”
Chapter 17 by bronzelord
Chapter 18
“Naruto-kun, Kill me.”
“Why are you here!”
Flashback
Slashing his arm to the side, Naruto marked the place on the tree where he felt his chakra shift. He was about to fly up the tree again, when he felt a presence coming. A tall, slender, long haired girl stepped into the clearing carrying a basket. She took a step in and Naruto launched a kunai that hit in front of her. She jumped back in fright, looking up at him in stunned shock.
“Uh... Hello?” Her big brown eyes communicated her fear.
“Who are you? What are you doing?” He said in an ice cold voice. She stared back at him, before putting down the basket.
“My name is Haku. I came here to look for herbs.” Naruto grimmaced, but lowered his kunai.
“Why are you looking for herbs?”
“A person very dear to me, was hurt. I just want to help him recover.” The girl gave him a soft smile. Naruto stepped out and studied the strange person. She was a girl, he thought. Wearing a pink Yukata, with a large white ribbon around her waist and a choker around her neck. Her long black hair cascaded down her back and around her face. When he got close to her, she smiled and began to pick plants. He just watched her, for a moment. She moved carefully through the plants studying them before either picking it or moving on. A wave of fatigue shot through him, he swayed on his feet. Haku gave him a strange look, and moved closer.
“Are you ok-” Naruto didn’t hear the rest, as his body collapsed and he drifted off into oblivion.
Eyes snapping open, Naruto jumped up. He glanced around and found he was laying down in the shade of a tree. He gave a confused look around him, and jumped at the sound to his side.
“Oh, You’re awake. I was worried.” The long haired girl, said and came closer. Naruto backed up slightly, as the girl closed in. Seeing his discomfort, she smiled and sat down a comfortable distance away.
“You feinted. I brought you here.” Naruto studied her with cold eyes.
“How long was I out?”
“Not long. Maybe and hour or two.” This earned a sigh from him.
“Were you doing something urgent?”
“Urgent? Not so much. I was... training...” The girl turned her head to the side.
“As in Ninja training?” She waited until he nodded.
“Ahh that is good. You must want to become very strong.” Once again, he only nodded to her sentiment.
“You know what I think? I think that one is only at their most powerful, and experiences the most strength when they are defending those they hold dear.” Her soft brown eyes were honest and open.
“Hmmm... Your name was Haku? I think that you are very wise. That is why I am training. I intend to become the strongest ninja the world has ever seen. I want to become so strong, that no one will be able to hurt my friends, or take them away from me.” The blond was speaking quietly and drew his knees to his chin.
“I think that is a very good goal. I have a similar goal, I wish to be useful to my most important person. I wish to remain useful to him for the rest of my life.” Her eyes, communicated her devotion to this unknown person. Naruto locked eyes with her, their eyes communicating more than any words could.
“So you want to be useful forever? Who is this person? Is he your father? Or husband?” Naruto asked, to extend the conversation.
“Hmmm.... He is neither.” She seemed very amused at that.
“He found me when I was young, and raised me as his own. I am forever grateful to him, and will follow him anywhere.”
“What happened to your family?” Naruto asked, suddenly interested.
“My... parents died. when I was very young. He found me soon afterwards.” She seemed lost in another world.
“Hmm... It must have been nice to have parents. Even for a short while. I’ve never known who my parents were. All I know is that they died, on the day of my birth. I’ve grown up without them, and with a lot of other problems.” Naruto replied without thinking.
“What kind of problems?” Haku said suddenly.
“Ahh, well I was alone, for one. No one ever wanted me. I was an orphan. And on top of that, my village dispised me. They hated me for no apparent reason. I was pushed aside. But everytime I came into contact with the villagers, it ended badly, usually with me in the hospital.” Naruto spoke hollowly. He wasn’t in the clearing with Haku anymore, his mind was elsewhere, in darker times.
“When I was six, I was caught by these men. They tied me up and spent hours beating me. They started out with just their fists and feet. But then they got drunk. Suddenly, they were beating me with broom handles and anything else they could find. Then, they left me there. They left me in the dark room for what seemed like days. When they came back there were more of them. They started beating me again, this time, they yelled at me. They called me a monster, and a demon. They cursed me and spat on me. They beat me for a long time. Then, one man started burning me with his ciggarette, then another then another. When, I thought they were going to kill me, they pulled back and left me alone in the dark. When they came back again, there were only four of them. They took their time hurting me. They would laugh when I screamed or when I would beg them to stop. In the end, they ended up beating me till an inch of my life... and ... and .. defiled me.” He spat out, his eyes closed as if trying to ward against the horrors against him.
“I blacked out. And came to in a Hospital room. There was a nurse, and a doctor in the room. Both of them looked like they had been crying, and when they noticed I was awake they tried to get me to talk. They tried to be gentle, but I couldn’t speak to anyone for three months. I never forgot the faces of the four men who did that to me. I never saw them again.” His voice was hoarse, and weighted down with emotion. He jerked up when he felt a small hand on his shoulder. The girl had tears flowing down her face.
“They had no right. They were the monsters.” She whispered gently.
“Naruto...”
“Hmm?”
“My name. Its Naruto.”
“Naruto. They were the monsters. Those villagers. I understand your pain, Naruto-kun. It was the people in my village that took my parents from me. I don’t remember much of it, but I remember a mob, and my parents blood.” Haku pulled the blond into a comforting hug.
“Naruto. If you don’t mind answering, why are you a ninja? As a ninja you would have to serve those same Villagers who wronged you all those years.” Naruto studied the porcelain face before answering.
“After what happened to me, I believed that they were right, that I was a monster, that the only ones who could have ever loved me were not here. So I tried very hard to join them wherever they were.” Haku hid a small gasp.
“But one day, a boy saved me from myself. His beliefs in moral uprightness, was so strong that couldn’t forgive those who had hurt me, but still didn’t allow me to waste my ‘precious’ life. He was the first person to tell me that I had worth, that I was wanted. I live for him. I live and fight to protect his dream. He believes in the village, in the honor that binds living beings. I want to be strong so that I can have a place in his future. But also, because of him. I have found others who have acknowledged my life. Through him, I have a reason to live again. I owe him my life.” Naruto leaned back against the tree, and watched Haku.
“Naruto-kun, the two of us are living horror stories. But we both seem to have happiness now. I’m glad that we were able to talk. I hope that one day you will find your own dream to follow.” Haku stood and stretched.
“Ah, the day is moving on, and so must I Naruto-kun. I wish you much luck. And may you have lasting happiness.” Haku gathered up her possessions and took a step forward but turned back.
“Oh and for your information. I’m a boy.” Shock exploded on his face.
“No way!” He gasped, as Haku walked out of the clearing. Naruto sat leaning on the tree, pondering their conversation.
“Dobe? Where are you? Are you napping?” An irrate voice snapped from the forest.
“Ah, Sasuke. I’m over here.” He called back, and smiled at the raven haired teen as he strode into view.
“You were missing for a while. We were nervous.” His onyx eyes clearly transmitted that Kakashi and Sakura were waiting back at the house.
“They didn’t want to come look?”
“I told them to stay with Tazuna-san, that I’d drag you back if necessary.” Naruto nodded, with a smile.
“Alright, but before we go can I try something first?” Sasuke studied him, and then nodded. Naruto stood up and looked up the tree. Then he lept on it and ran straight up it. He went straight to the top branch and stood atop the world, before climbing back down. Sasuke gave him an approving smile.
“You finally got it down, huh Dobe?” He jeered and began walking away.
“Hey sasuke?” The raven turned to see a smiling blond.
“Thanks.” Naruto spoke the single word with a bright smile. Sasuke shook his head, but returned the smile.
“Ok Dobe. I don’t know what happened, but you seem happier. I’m glad. Come on, they’re waiting for us.”
END FLASHBACK

“You!? You had to know who I was! Why the hell didn’t you kill me then!” Naruto whispered in anguish. The taller boy gave him a sad smile.
“I couldn’t. I could sense that you and I had much in common. And I was right. We are very alike.”
“No, we aren’t.” Naruto swore.
“You tried to kill Zabuza-san. He was the man who saved me when I was young.”
“YOU KILLED SASUKE!! HE WAS THE ONE WHO SAVED MINE!” Naruto screamed, tears flowing openly down his cheek.
“Yes, Naruto. I killed him. Now you have to kill me.” Naruto blanched.
“What?
“Yes, you must. I failed. I don’t have a purpose anymore.”
I want to be useful to that man forever.
“No, there has to be another way.” Haku shook his head slowly.
“No, Naruto. We both know, thats not going to happen. You need to avenge Sasuke, and I want to disappear. I’ve lost my will to live, will you curse me to an empty existance?” Haku’s eyes spoke of his inner torment. Naruto gritted his teeth, his eyes on the boy, a person who finally understood him, when he closed his eyes. When he opened them again, they were cold and hard.
“As you wish, Haku.” Naruto pulled a kunai from his holster and dashed at the boy. A grateful smile bloomed on his features.
Don’t smile, don’t thank me for this. You’re a cruel one, Haku.
He brought up his kunai to cut down the boy, when a flash of alarm crossed his face. Haku snatched Naruto’s arm and held it tight.
“Gomen Nasai, Naruto-kun. It appears I cannot die yet.” He whispered in a rushed tone. He formed a single seal with one hand. Naruto stared, and cursed as Haku vanished into the mist. Naruto, stared at the spot where the Ice user had stood, before he felt a shockwave, the release of a powerful technique. Naruto searched against the mist, and noticed that they were failing, becoming less dense. Stiffining he saw two figures ahead of him, and prepared for attack.
“NARUTO!” The blond blinked once, before recognizing that loud voice.
“Sakura?”
“Naruto, you’re ok!” She ran to him, with Tazuna in tow. She gave him a smile, and he felt the pressure in his chest lessen.
“Sakura, you’re alive.” His voice cracked. She gave him a wierd look.
“Naruto, whats wrong?” Then she took in the empty space.
“Where’s Sasuke?” The question ripped a whole in his chest, he closed his eyes and couldn’t even look at her.
“Naruto... Where is Sasuke?”
Chapter 18 by bronzelord
Chapter 18

The blond clenched his eyes shut, and looked away from her. Pain lanced through Sakura’s chest, so intense that it sparked tears in her eyes. Naruto clenched his fists so tightly, that his fingernails were drawing blood. Biting her tongue, the pink haired girl stopped and studied the blond. His face was completely stony, and his posture was rigid. Then, she saw the blood on his hands.
“NARUTO! Your hands!” She whispered urgently. The cold blond looked at his hands.
“oh.” He gave his hands an emotionless once over. Then, he gave Sakura a pained glance. Then he looked back, with an expression that held unspeakable pain. He locked eyes with her, giving her his silent permission. She slid her sights from Tazuna to the spot where Naruto had sent a forlorn glance. A gentle hand descended on her shoulder.
“Come, girl. I’ll go with you. Then, you won’t be breaking orders.” The old man spoke softly. Sakura gave him a grateful look and ran in the direction Naruto had looked.
Naruto didn’t move. Every muscle, every nerve, every particle of his being screamed in pain at his loss. Yet, he could not even bring his face to show it.
“Hey boy.” Naruto opened his eyes a sliver.
“Are you-” Tazuna reached out and Naruto backed up in panic, eyes flaring in pain. Naruto shut his eyes, quelling every emotion, silencing every thought.
“Tazuna-san.” The single word was as cold as ice, and completely flat.
“Please go after her.” He finished in the same flat voice, eyes still closed. Tazuna nodded and hurried after the pinkette. Naruto didn’t turn to watch either of them as they moved closer and closer to the epicenter of his pain. Naruto kept his eyes closed until he heard Sakura’s scream. The sound tore open his inner wounds, slicing them wider and deeper, scoring them deep into his soul. The blond opened up his dead eyes, allowing a single tear to fall from his eyes. Just at that moment, the mists cleared away completely. Had Naruto not already lost everything, he would have found some part of him horrified at the scene displayed in front of him. Kakashi stood with his arm pushed through Haku’s chest, and his blood spattered over both Kakashi and Zabuza. Even in death, Haku’s face was set in an angelic smile. A single shard of pain sliced into Naruto’s heart at the sight.
I want to be useful to that man forever.
“Haha, Thank you Haku. Now don’t move, Kakashi.” The pale ninja brought up his blade. The motion seemed far too slow for it to be real in Naruto’s mind. He could see, the bulging of Zabuza’s muscles to carry the weighty sword on its deadly path. Anger, hot and purifying, exploded through the blond, churning like fire through his veins. Anger for Sasuke, Anger for Haku, Anger for himself, all that rage spun and tumbled together, before directing itself at one source; Zabuza.
Kakashi pulled experimentally on his embedded arm, and found it stuck firmly. He heard the swish of the blade, and danced backwards from the blade. As he fell back, he felt chakra being molded.
“Wind Style: Razor Edged Gale.”
Snapping his neck back, Kakashi sole a glance at his blond student in time to see him slash his arm as though it were a blade. The movement created a fast moving visible blade of distorted wind. The technique hit Zabuza’s blade knocking it aside. Naruto flashed through seals again.
“Wind Style: Great Wind From the North Mountain.”
This time a massive twister exploded from in front of him and swept up the pale stealth nin and shot forward off the bridged and exploded outwards.
“Naruto, Behind you!” Kakashi screamed and tried to dislodge his arm. The blonde looked behind him, and pushed off the ground into the air avoiding the sweep of Zabuza’s blade. Naruto flipped in the air and kicked off the big blade to land on the other side of the pale man. The blond turned to stab him with a kunai, but Zabuza stabbed his blade into the ground and kicked Naruto into the air. He hit the ground with a heavy thud. Kakashi, finally getting his arm loose jumped up to join the fight, when he saw it. The hateful, malevolent red chakra began bubbling and swirling around the blond.

Hatred, the powerful emotion became pure power itself, manifesting itself as an over whelming aura of death. Naruto pushed himself up onto his feet, feeling the power swirl around him like the winds of death themselves. The energy seeped up into him filling him up with a burning sensation throughout his whole body. He looked around himself and felt a savage grin crinkle his face. He could see the tendrils of red power wrapping around him, he flexed his power and smiled when wind spun off his hand.
“Zabuza-san. Right now, I don’t think that anyone hates more than I do.” The blond took a step forward. His eyes sparked, and his grin turned into a feral snarl.
“You caused all of my problems. You are the reason, that Sasuke is dead! You took the only person who ever stopped to care about me! And for what? I can’t ever forgive you!” The blond snapped and pushed off of the bridge, and reappearedd in front of the pale ninja. Naruto slashed a clawed hand across his face, smashing the man farther out. Suddenly, Naruto was on the other side of him and kncoking him back down onto the bridge. When, Zabuza stopped rolling on the ground, Naruto appeared back on the ground.
“Zabuza-san. You’re like a poison. When you appeared, you threatened everything I held dear. Now, you have stripped everything away from me, everything.” Naruto shut his eyes to ward against the flare of pain. When he opened his eyes, they were cold blue chips of ice.
“Now, Zabuza-san. I will take away your most precious thing.” Naruto reached up to place a finishing blow, when he saw a flash of emotion in the man’s eyes at his words.
What? What was that... It couldn’t have been.
Zabuza slashed out with his foot catching Naruto in a leg sweep, and sending him into the air. Zabuza flipped in the air and drew his blade. As the blond fell from the air, he slashed at him viciously. A black and grey blur appeared in between the two of them, and blocked the blade with a kunai. Kakashi, then spun off of the blade and Naruto himself in the air and landed on his hands and feet. Naruto launched himself at the swordsman, Zabuza slashed downwards and Naruto side stepped. The pale man sent a violent back knuckle at him, and Naruto ducked it, came up and kicked the offending hand. The resulting snap caused the pale silent killer to blanch in pain, but instead of backing up he spun and tried to land a blow with his other arm. Naruto dodged to the side with unnatural speed, and caught the man’s arm. Naruto locked eyes with Zabuza for single moment before he flexed his arms with an animalistic grin. This time Zabuza screamed as his arm was shattered. The cold blond let go and allowed the man to fall to the ground.
“You took everything away from me. Now I’m going to return the favor.” He said simply and placed his foot on the killer’s head.

Pain and hurt welled up in Sakura’s heart, so much so that it began to overflow. Hot tears poured from her eyes, and a choked sob broke from her even as she bit her lip to hold it all in. She could hear Tazuna behind her, she could feel his sympathy for her, but she gripped her hands together painfully. Her eyes were locked on the horror scene before her. Sasuke, her beloved Sasuke, lay on the ground with long deadly needles sticking out from his body. The deadly implements seemed everywhere, but the death blows, created a ring around his neck. She gasped for air, desperately trying to hold in her screams, her sorrow, her pain. She doubled over onto the ground, to hide her tears. She took a few moments before straightening up.
“Tazuna-san. While I was in the Academy, I was a good student, and when they gave us the Shinobi Bylaws, I dutifully memorized them. Then the next day, we were given a test. It asked a question on the Requirements of Shinobi in Combat. I wrote it down without any thought. A shinobi must never show any emotion under any circumstances, while on a mission.” She managed to gasp out the last sentence, before falling down on top of Sasuke, breaking into hot tears of grief. No thought of trying to hide her pain, her hurt, crossed her mind. She barely even felt Tazuna pat her on the back, all she felt was an awful, sharp pain of loss, that echoed down into her soul, and cut her deeper than any weapon ever could.
“You idiot. How dare you die on me. I.. I” She whispered down at his still warm body, and clutched it closer.
“I don’t think I can live without you. I do really l..love y-you.” The words fell from her mouth like bitter poison, torturous and haltingly. She couldn’t and wouldn’t stamp the flow of her tears. She let loose all of the sorrow in her hoping beyond hope that they would wash away his horrid mortall infirmity. She gave a final wracking sob, before biting her lip. With every tear spent, she slowly pushed off of his body. As she did so, she flinched at a sound. Her eyes widened and she pressed her head to his chest.
Ba-dump..... Ba-dump...
Sakura felt herself shaking, but didn’t get up, afraid that if she moved the illusion wold shatter, and she would be in front of a corpse again.
“Unh... Sakura? Uh, You’re heavy...” A small weak voice called out to her. Her head snapped up, eyes glazing over with tears of radiant joy.
“Sasuke? You’re alive?” Her voice was hoarse, from crying and the suddenness of his speech.
“Sakura? Whats going on? Am I dead?” His dark eyes searched hers out, and he tried to reach for her.
“Ah! Baka! Don’t move! You’re injured!” She whispered fiercely, quickly snatching his hand and stopping him from trying to get up.
“Where’s Naruto?” He said, his eyes starting to focus again.
“Sakura! Wheres that boy? You have to save Naruto!” He said urgently. Sakura shook her head.
“The boy is gone. He died protecting Zabuza.” She said softly.
“Sakura. You have to get to Naruto!” He whispered faintly, but his eyes glowed fiercely.
“What?”
“Naruto thought I was dead! Hell, I thought I was dead. That means he’s gonna do somethig really really stupid.” Sasuke grolwed, and coughed. Sakura blinked and shifted to get up.
“Crap. You’re right. Tazuna-san. Stay here.” Sakura said as she got up and ran towards the fighting ninja. As she got there she gasped, Naruto stood with his foot atop of Zabuza’s head as though ready to squish an annoying bug. She took a step forward only to be stopped by a hand. Her head flicked up to see a worried Kakashi.
“Sakura, don’t get any closer. Naruto has gone in too deep.” He murmured. She turned back to the blond boy, about to push Kakashi’s hand out of the way, when she noticed a difference about the boy. His whole being radiated killing intent so malicious, it froze her even from far away.
What happened to Naruto?!
Her eyes were wide and her heart was pained seeing the kind hearted boy reduced to such animalistic rage. This time she did push aside Kakashi’s hand.
“Naruto...” She uttered softly. The blond spun like lightning, and fixed his gaze on her. She froze, his piercing gaze transmitting so much hatred, so much pain, and anger, she almost started crying again.
“Naruto! Sasuke-kun is alive! Please! Stop! Please..” She yelled, trying to reach whatever dark place the Naruto she knew was hiding in. She opened her eyes after taking in a deep breath, and saw his red eyes softening in confusion.
“Sasuke... Alive?” His brain seemed to be working unusually slow.
“Yes, he’s ok. So please. Just stop. Come back to us!” She nearly sobbed out, and quickly cut herself off before she started crying for real. He blinked at her once, before his eyes shifted from red to the sparkling blue, his posture became more relaxed, his whole body radiated relief.
“He’s really alive?” he asked almost painfully.
“Heh, What a pathetic demon!” A loud voice interrupted from the side. The pink haired kunoichi, turned quickly to see the trespasser. It was a short man with frizzy white hair wearing a business suite and sunglasses.
“Hah, I pay for you to be doing the killing and yet I come and see you getting your butt handed to you by a youngster, no less.” He sneered at the pale man on the floor, then he seemed to notice Haku’s fallen body.
“Who the hell are you?” Naruto snarled.
“He’s my employer. Gatoh, whats with the guards?” Zabuza called out and struggled to stand. That was when Sakura noticed the fifty odd men behind the small man.
“Ah, well Zabuza. You see there’s been a change in plans. Well, not really. I planned on doign this the whole time. Hiring real ninja is too expensive, so I just pick up so missing nin, like yourself, and use ‘em till I don’t need ‘em. Then, Trash em. Its far more economical.” The man stopped talking as he reached Haku’s body.
“Ah, I remember this little piece of filth. I believe I owe you from my arms.” He said vindictively, and slammed his foot in Haku’s unmoving face.

“YOU! HOW DARE YOU! HE’S ALREADY DEAD YOU PATHETIC PIECE OF CRAP!” Naruto howled and jumped toward him, only to be caught by Kakashi.
“Heh, sorry you guys. It appears that I have no reason to continue this fight.” Zabuza said quietly as he go to his feet, then he turned to look at the mob.
“If you’ll excuse me. I have business to take care of.”
“YOU! HEY SAY SOMETHING! WASN’T HE YOUR FRIEND?!”
“Shut up kid. It’s like you said, Haku’s already dead.
“HOW DARE YOU! DIDN’T YOU TRAVEL TOGETHER? WEREN’T YOU WATCHING OUT FOR EACH OTHER?”
“Kid, you have a lot to learn. As I was used, so too did I use Haku. I didn’t want him. I wanted his Blood. His power. In our world, there is only those who use and those that are used.” He spat coldly at the blond, who was shaking with fury.
“THE HELL IT IS! DO YOU SEE THAT BOY!” Naruto screamed at pointed at Haku.
“He loved you.” He said softly, his eyes spoke of some inner pain.
“You were his most important person, His whole life, his dream was to serve you as a tool for your dream.”
I want to be useful to that man forever.
“All he wanted was to be wanted, needed by you, even if it was for your own selfish purposes. He was devoted to you, more than you probably ever realized! He threw himself into an attack meant for you!” Naruto finished by yelling, tears hovering at the edges of his eyes.
“His end ... was too cruel...” Naruto bit out, struggling to contain his tears. For a moment, Zabuza was silent facing away from him. Then he turned, and looked into Naruto’s moist eyes, with tears coming down his face.
“Enough boy. Don’t say anymore.” His voice was quiet and subdued. He turned back to face the men.
“I know, I didn’t and still don’t deserve any of Haku’s love or devotion. But know this boy. Haku, in this fight, did not just fight for me alone. He fought for you, and your friend. He included you into his love, and it pained him to fight you.” Naruto heard some tearing, and slipping of cloth.
“But in the end, I think I’m glad that we fought you. I think that you’re right. Ninja, stil humans, can never truly become emotionless tools.” He turned to Naruto once more.
“Kid, gimme your kunai.” Naruto felt a shift in Zabuza’s mood. He glanced down once at the kunai in his hand, then threw up at him. Zabuza snatched it into his mouth.
“Thanks, brat.” Then, he charged at Gatoh.
“HAHA! I’ve had enough!” He laughed, turning to his army.
“Kill ‘em all!” The mob yelled in excitement, and waved their weapons as they stepped forward to meet their severely injured foe. Naruto felt the flare of incredible blood lust exploding from Zabuza, and witnessed the fear on the Mercenaries’ faces, as zabuza smashed into the wall of men. The pale stealth nin moved cut through them like a hot knife thorugh butter, easily dispatching men left and right with just the kunai in his mouth. When, he finally burst through the living wall and faced his target, he was covered in new wounds and had several weapons sticking from his back and sides. But still he powered on, giving out that demonic aura of death.
“COME GATOH! LET US DESCEND INTO THE PITS OF HELL! THEN, WE’LL SEE WHAT A PATHETIC DEMON YOU’VE HIRED!” He roared around the kunai as he slashed across the business man’s chest, then his face and finally lopping off his head with a monumental slash. As Gatoh’s head hit the ground and rolled off to the side, Zabuza collapsed with a small sigh.
“AH! This idiot’s killed our meal ticket!”
“Hey, how’re we gonna get paid!”
“Let’s kill him!”
The mercenaries, seeing that Zabuza had clearly fallen, began working themselves into a rage over loosing their payment. Suddenly, one man shouted to pillage the island. Then, all of the mercenaries were screaming to get in on it. They turned to the tired Konoha Nin, and raised their weapons.
“Heh, we’re going to take whatever is valuable from that village, for stealing our paycheck!” A man chroused from the front. Naruto stood firm, completely still. His eyes were cold as ice, and they transmitted his complete hate and disgust. Just as the Mercenaries were about to charge a single arrow hit the ground.
“If you even think about coming to our Island. The people of this village will stop youwith everything they have.” A chorus of voice chanted from behind. Spinning, Naruto looked to see who they were. There in the front of the crowd was little Inari, wielding his crossbow. He waved at Naruto, and yelled.
“Hey, sorry about being late! But a Hero’s gotta make an entrance!” Pride swelling up in his chest, Naruto allowed a small smile to grace his lips.
“Baka, if you’re always late you’ll miss the good parts!” He yelled back, then turned back to the mercenaries. They glared back defiantly at the newcomers, but seemed disheartened slightly. Then, Kakashi formed a seal.
“Shadow Clone Technique!” Suddenly there was a line of Kakashi, geared up and ready to brawl at the front of the small crowd.
“Do you want some now?” The Kakashi called together. The Mercenaries dropped their weapons and made a mad dash back to the boat at the end of the bridge. Naruto took a deep breath, and began weaving seals.
“Oi, Since you blithering idiots are in such a rush, allow me to help y’all!” he called happily and finished the last seal.
“Water Style: Twin Headed Snake!” There was a roar and two cyclones of water shot up on either side of the bridge, and slammed down hard at the edge of it sweeping away the last of the vermin.
“NARUTO! Since when were you able to use Suiton? (Water Style)” Kakahsi whispered and dispelled his clones. Naruto opened his mouth to answer but instead fell on his butt as a rush of weariness rolled over him.
“Later, Kakashi-sensei.” Naruto mumbled sleepily.
“K..Kaka..shi..” A small hoarse voice called out to them, drawing the jonin’s attention. Naruto’s eyes widened as he saw the origin of the voice.
“Zabuza?!”
“Kakashi... Please... I.. have a... a request...”
“Hmm.”
“Please, let... let me see him....Once more...” Kakashi knelt down next to the pale man and gently swept him off the ground, and brought him next to Haku. Zabuza forced himself to turn and face his young charge, he reached up and stroked the young boy’s face.
“Haku... You were always too kind...Haku...... If I could.. I want to go where you are..” He whispered. Naruto bit his lip, at the show of obvious emotion, and looked up to avoid the tears spilling down his face, when he felt a small cold drop on his cheek.
“It’s snowing!”
“It can’t be. Not at this time of the year!”
Naruto raised a hand to capture the perfect white snowflakes.
“You came from a snowy village, Haku. Are you crying, then, from heaven?” He mumbled through the lump in his throat. He wiped away the tear trails on his face as he heard Kakashi speak quietly.
“So passes the Demon of Kirigakure, and the boy whose heart was as pure as the fallen snow.”
Chapter 19 by bronzelord
Chapter 19
Sakura and Sasuke walked quietly after their sensei. Both were desperately aware of the looming silence that had settled on the group. Ever since they buried Zabuza and Haku and left the Land of Seas, Naruto had become oddly silent. His usually quiet and smiling eyes, had turned introspective and sullen. The more they walked the heavier the atmosphere became. Suddenly, Sakura snapped and turned to face the blond.
“Alright, spit it the hell out. What has you so down for?” She hissed in annoyance. He fixed an empty stare at her, a stare the stole all of the fight from her body.
“Naruto. Please tell us.” She whispered quietly. He stared a little bit longer, before looking away.
“No.”
“What? Why not?!” Sakura said sadly and tried to touch his shoulder comfortingly. He saw the gesture and flinched backwards. This time, even Sasuke turned to watch the blond.
“Are you ok?” Naruto closed his eyes in response.
“I just want to get back to the village.” His voice flat and completely empty. Sasuke watched him carefully, almost studiously, before nodding and turning back to start walking again. Naruto followed his lead, and Sakura gave them both a curious glance before sighing and giving in.

Emotions, torturous and cruel, danced back and slashed at him at every given moment. Guilt splayed across him every time he looked into Sakura’s eyes, deep shards of pain every time he glanced at the Uchiha, and the small studying glances from the silver haired Jonin. He strained his control keeping everything locked up inside of himself. His outer shell was paper thin countenance of nothingness, while inside he was a massive whirlwind of uncontrollable emotion. He breathed in deeply, allowing the crisp air to clear his mind. Shivering slightly, he stepped out of the tree’s shade to see the grandeur of Konohagakure rising up into sight.
“Ahh, Home sweet home.” Kakashi chanted. Sakura lit up at the familiar sight, and began to chatter happily. Naruto didn’t allow his facade to falter, even as his heart wilted a little, as he stepped back into the forbidding walls, of his prison. He was about to take another step when he felt a gentle pressure stop him.
“Naruto...” Sasuke’s voice, full of concern, caused the blond to bite his lip. He jerked out of the raven’s grip.
“Sasuke. Go home. I’m sure that your family is worried about you.” He bit his lip again, as he realized how cold his voice was. Shame burning in his veins, Naruto turned aside and began to walk away, tears burning in his eyes. He just walked forwards, not looking back, lest the tears truly fall.

Sasuke glared at the retreating blond.
“Sasuke. Are you going to chase him?” Sakura asked quietly from behind him.
“Hmph. If he wants to be silent and refuse to talk to me, not my problem.” He said icily and spun towards the main path. A single pained sigh, slipped from the pinkette’s lips, before she turned to their master.
“Sorry, Kaka-” She froze and glared at the empty space before her. Then, angrily she began to stomp down the road. She was about halfway home before, a loud voice called to her.
“Hey, Billboard brow!” Sakura’s head snapped to the side.
“Oh, whats up Ino-pig.”
“DON’T CALL ME THAT!”
“Well, waddya want?”
“Just wanted to know how you’re mission went is all.” Sakura sighed, and slipped into the seat next to her blond friend.
“Ugh. Honestly, I’m going to end up killing one of those two.” She replied and rubbed her temples.
“Huh? Is this about Sasuke-kun?”
“Yes. And Naruto as well. They are having a fight, and I think that Naruto is avoiding us. Well, he’s just keeping a lot to himself.”
“Hmm? Who cares about that stupid idiot? Why would anyone fight with Sasuke-kun?” Sakura glared at Ino.
“Naruto isn’t an idiot. He’s actually a pretty skilled Ninja. He’s just an emotional retard. Actually, both of them are!” Sakura snorted, and Ino laughed.
“Aww, Sakura. It’s alright. All boys are. Just look at my teammates for instance!” Ino commented, drawing a laugh from the pinkette.
“Maybe, but these two are complete idiots. Stubborn stupid idiots. Not a good combo. It’s like the Academy all over again.” Sakura groaned and smacked her head into the table. Ino rubbed her back comfortingly.
“It’s ok. It has to get worse before it’ll get better! You’ll see!” Sakura gave her friend a smile, but felt a queasy sense of foreshadowing inside.
“I hope so...”

Sasuke kicked the ground as he walked home.
“Stupid, blond. I’m only worried cause I care.” He spat almostly silently. He turned with the road and stopped suddenly. The practice pond glittered peacefully on the side of the road. The serene waters remained still and reflected the dropping sun.
“Whats up Otouto?” Sasuke jumped at the sound.
“Itachi. You scared me.” Placing a hand over his beating heart, sasuke took a deep breath to attemtp to slow his quickened breathing. The older raven, smiling slid an arm around his shoulders.
“What’s wrong baby brother? What has you so tightly wound?” Sasuke considered lying, but decided against it.
“A lot of things... Just a lot on my mind.” He said quietly.
“Mmm? Is it Naruto trouble? Or is it girl trouble, otouto?” Itachi replied straightfaced, while Sasuke sputtered.
“Its definitely Naruto trouble!”
“Because that easier, or is it just less embarassing?”
“Ok, I’m done talking.”
“Hnn? But I’m not. So spill. Which is it.”
“....” Itachi continued holding his baby brother, who was busy turning a bright red.
“FINE! It’s both!” The smaller raven hissed.
“Ooh. Ok, we’ll talk Naruto. Then, when we get home, we’ll talk about your crush.” Feeling his cheeks burn suddenly, Sasuke stared at the ground.
“Aww! Don’t be like that Otouto! You know Mom would kill us both if we hid this from her.” He gave his little brother a small smile.
“Now, about Naruto?”
“I don’t know. After this mission, he.. he’s closed back up to me. He won’t talk to me, and can’t even look me in the eye.”
“Hmm.... What happened during this mission.” The question was an innocent one, but it stopped him cold.
“I almost died.”
“WHAT!” Itachi spun back to Saskue.
“It wasn’t just a simple c-rank badoy guard mission. I’m sure you heard of our complications.”
“There was nothing in the dossier that said you almost died.”
“There were two very skilled nin. One of them, pinned me and Naruto down. Then, when I activated my Sharingan, he attacked Naruto. I jumped in the way, and took the attack for him. However, the boy intensionally missed all of the vital points and I suffered a psuedo-death.” The young raven looked up, to see his eldest brother gritting his teeth.
“What?”
“I think I understand what Naruto was thinking. And I think I know why he’s not talking to you or anyone else. He thinks of you as a brother Sasuke! You are his most important person.” Itachi took a moment to breathe.
“Ok. Sasuke, when you jumped in and took the attack for Naruto, what were you thinking?” Itachi asked in a genuinely interested voice.
“I was thinking, I have to protect Naruto. Why?”
“Naruto, is probably trying to find a way to be strong on his own. To match up to the powerful name of the Uchiha, so that no one will dare question your friendship. And when you took that attack, you did two things, you broke his belief in himself, and you made him realize just how attatched he is to you.” Sasuke’s eyes widened in discovery.
“I made him feel weak? But he was the one who destroyed Zabuza..”
“What?! Momochi Zabuza?”
“Huh? Yeah.”
“Naruto... Naruto beat him?”
“When, he thought I was dead, he kinda freaked out. Sakura, saw it best, but I saw some of it. It was incredible he had a truly powerful aura of death. It was truly frightening.”
“Hmm...”
“What?”
“Its nothing. What probably shook him to his core, was the loss of you. And seeing Sakura’s reaction.” At that offhanded remark, Sasuke felt his cheeks flare. Itachi gave him a chance glance and saw the spreading rosy flare.
“Hmm... whats this? Is Otouto crushing hard on someone?”
“AM NOT!”
“Alright. You can make your argument in front of Mother.” Sasuke paled, already seeing his mother’s reaction.
“No! You can’t Itachi! Please!” Sasuke begged as they approached the door.
“Foolish little brother. Don’t you know? I’m in the doghouse right now! I’ll take any out!”
“Itachi don-”
“MY BOYS!” A shrill scream cut off all conversation. Sasuke turned to face his mother, with the best pokerface anyone had ever seen.
“Hello mother.” They replied.
“Sasu-kun!” Mikoto threw herself into a spine breaking her hug around youngest son. Sasuke saw a small glare pass from mother to eldest.
“Uh.. Mom... are you ok?”
“I’m fine! You’ve been out for three weeks! I missed you is all!” She huffed, and pulled him inside. Sasuke heard his heartbeat pump louder, and he sensed the brewing storm between mother and son. Nervously, he took his customary seat at the table.
“So... How is-”
“Sasuke, tell me about your crush.” Itachi said quietly. Those single words froze their mother in the kitchen.
“I-I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Inwardly cursing his single misstep. His mother turned almost immediately, and gently laid the meal at the table.
“What is this? Sasuke is crushing on a girl, which one?”
“Mother! I honestly don’t know what he’s talking abo-”
“I know. And I may be willing to speak.” Itachi spoke quietly, locking eyes with his mother, before breaking away to look elsewhere.
“I’m listening.” Mikoto said, clearly amused.
“I want this ridiculous farce of a punishment to end!” Itachi said fiercely. Mikoto’s eyebrow shot up. “And what punishment are you speaking of?” Her voice had tuned into an almost too perfect impression of innocence.
“You know what I’m talking about!” Itachi was now pouting at his mother, trying to draw on her motherly instincts. Sasuke watched the exchange with more amazement than anythign else.
“Fine, Ita-kun. Tell me what you want to end.”
“The cold shoulder. If you promise to end this... distasteful situation, I’ll tell you Sasuke’s crush.” Mikoto smiled brilliantly.
“OH, ITA-KUN! IF IT BOTHERED YOU SO MUCH, YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME!” She cried out suddenly, and pulled Itachi into another bone breaking hug. Sasuke sighed, taking solace in the fact that Itachi did not in fact know who his crush was.
“So whose the lucky girl?”
“Haruno Sakura.” Sasuke, who had been drinking some tea, performed a beautiful spit take. Itachi gave his little brother a feral grin.
“See, even little Otouto, supports what I say.”
“Haruno... wasn’t she that girl who was just under Sasuke?” His mother wondered aloud.
“Yes thats her. The pink haired little genius. It said that her memorization abilities rival even the Uchiha.” Itachi said conversationally, and Mikoto nodded and sipped her tea. Sasuke glared at both of them.
“How in the hell did you know who my .... uh... well you know!” He growled.
“I guessed.”
“What?!”
“Well, you didn’t make it difficult. When we were talking about you’re teammates on the way home, you blushed when you mentioned Sakura.” He shrugged as if that answered everything. Sasuke stared at the two of them, then stood up.
“I’m going to bed! G’nite!” He growled and stomped up to his room, slamming the door behind him. He go to his bed and fumed for a moment at his family, before his eyes flitted over the picture of Team Seven. Silently, he got up and picked up the picture. It was all four of them, Sakura smiling into the camera, with Kakashi holding both him and Naruto still for the picture. Just looking at it set a gentle smile on his face.
“Otouto... Just tell me that you will talk to him tommorow.” The younger raven remained silent for a moment.
“Will you come with me?”
“If you wish...”
“I think that it would be best if he heard it from all of us.” Sasuke said quietly, through his door.
“As you wish. Good nite, little brother.” Itachi whispered through the door. With that, sasuke slid under his covers, already trying to plan out what he would tell the dobe.

Naruto sat atop the Hokage Monument, staring into the black night sky. The millions of dancing stars drew his attention, and helped his mind to wander from his own pain.
“You are getting predictable Naruto.” A slow, gravelly voice called from behind him. Naruto didn’t spare the intruder a glance.
“Who cares. It’s not like anyone checks up on me. No one would notice if a no account like me just up and vanished.” A swishing sound indicated the other man had taken a seat next to him.
“I think you know you are wrong, Naruto. I, for one, would be greatly saddened if you decided to disappear.” The slow deep voice, caused more emotions to churn inside the blond.
“Look, gramps, I don’t need this right now. I’ve had enough of this whole human emotion thing to last me a lifetime, ok? I hate these feelings of mine.” The blond uttered as he placed his head on his knees.
“Why? What has made you bitter, Naruto?” The older man, whispered comfortingly.
“... I just realized, on this mission how much I’ve allowed that teme in. Can you believe that? I’ve practically let him know everything there is to possibly know me, and yet he still... Whatever... It’s just easier not to deal with this. Everyone would be better off, if I just stopped now.”
“How would Sasuke be better off? What about Sakura?”
“Sasuke would finally be able to make the friends he wanted to have in the Academy. Sakura might actually get some attention from Sasuke.”
“And how does Naruto win in all of this?”
“Me? I, get to forget all of these pathetic attachments and live my short solitary life out.”
“That doesn’t sound like a win, to me.” Naruto let out a soft harsh peal of laughter out.
“But I’m winning now? I don’t even know what the hell is going on anymore. The only thing I know is that I let someone in too close. That person got too far in, and look, all it did was hurt. I want to just forget it all.” Naruto ended with a sob.
“Was it all bad? Was life with Sasuke, and Sakura and Kakashi so bad?”
“No... But now that I have them.... I...” Naruto cut himself off, biting his lip.
“I have something to loose now. Even that dumb sensei, has managed to find a place in my life.” Naruto whispered fearfully.
“Living is hard, Naruto. But only living is worth it.”
“I... I honestly don’t know anymore. I want to believe you, but it hurts now. I. Failed. Them. Everytime I look at them, all it does is remind me of how weak, and utterly pathetic I am. I should just die, and make everyone happy.” The blond moaned in dispair.
“I think that you need to talk to your friends before doing anything too rash.” Naruto sniffled, and looked at the man.
“Thanks, jiji.”
“Thats Hokage-sama to you, boy.” Naruto gave him a small smile.
“Thank you, Sandaime Hokage-sama.”
Chapter 20 by bronzelord
Chapter 20


Sasuke stepped out from under the store’s cover. He was holding a bag full of ramen, he may be a genius and a talented thinker, but Uchiha Sasuke was not above bribery when the need arose. He moved heavily, but with purpose.
“Sasuke!” A happy voice called to him, he swiveled upon recognizing it.
“Sakura.” He replied with a curt nod. The pink haired girl approached him with a dark haired girl at her back.
“Thats a lot of ramen...” SHe said noticing the bag, then gave him a thoughtful glance.
“I’m glad you rethought it.” She said softly. Sasuke bit his lip and nodded curtly again, trying no to think about yesterday’s occurances.
“He wasn’t at his house.” A soft voice came from behind Sakura. The raven looked around the pink haired girl to view the speaker.
“Excuse me?” The pale eyed girl locked eyes with him hesistantly, before speaking queitly.
“Naruto... He’s not at his house... If he’s as upset as Sakura said he is there are a couple places he would go.” Sasuke studied her familiar face before placing her.
“You’re Hinata. That girl that Naruto was so considerate to.” He said thoughtfully.
“Yes, I am. And you’re Sasuke. The boy that Naruto adores like a brother.” She said sadly. Sasuke gave the girl a once over.
“What was that tone for?” He asked, curious. A red blush exploded across her face.
“Nothing! It was nothing!” She whispered fiercely. A smile creapt across his face.
“Hmm... It sounded a lot like jealousy to me....” Sasuke shrugged and began walking down the street.
“It was not!” He heard her whisper at him.
“Stop worrying about what I know to be true and start talking about his secret spots!” Sasuke said over his shoulder. That shut her up for a little bit.
“The Hokage Monument.” She said at last.
“Just on top of the Fourth’s head.” Sasuke kept moving, but his movements had taken a certain jerking quality.
“Whats wrong Sasuke?” Sakura said. The raven stopped cold, and turned to her.
“Hinata. How much did Naruto tell you?” The Hyuuga girl watched him carefully.
“He told me alot. But I put a lot more together on my own.” She whispered. Sasuke nodded in understanding.
“I still don’t understand..” Sakura said, her eyes dimming in sadness. Sasuke gripped her shoulders.
“I’m not sure if this is my place.. But still. You remember at Tazuna’s house?” He waited till she nodded.
“He tried to commit suicide?”
“Yes... But that wasn’t his first atempt...” Sasuke said slowly. A small gasp slipped from the pinkette’s mouth, and tears pooled in her eyes.
“What?”
“Naruto’s had a tough life. Harder than is almost believable.” He whispered down at her. She nodded in understanding.
“Then, why are we standing here!” She said with a tone of steel determination. Sasuke only smiled down at her.

Naruto was busy staring into the sky. He hadn’t moved all night, the Hokage’s words floated through his mind, causing him to question everything.
Living is hard... But only Living is worth it....
“Stupid old man... Doesn’t know what he’s talking about...” Naruto breathed out. The blue sky was a calming agent on his nerves and his broken spirit, and the slowly moving clouds helped distract him from the moment. He sat up from the bench, and went to the very edge of the cliff face, and sat down on the railing. Staring down at the bustling village, he started to think.
Does anyone honestly care that I am up here? He sighed and let the thought vanish. Just looking down at the major city, reminded him of all the horrors these quiet, kind people were able to inflict. Their hate and anger, ran deep, deeper than anyone could ever know. The blond just stared downwards, trying to understand why anyone would want to protect this place. The more time he spent on it, he couldn’t come up with a single time when this village had been home to him.
Hell, even the Country of Waves had felt more like home than this. No one yelled at me, glared at me, talked behind my back. They were nice and kind.
The hot tears began to run down his cheeks.
Why the hell AM I here? What on earth is worth protecting? I’m not!
A soft sob escaped his lips, but he knew he was alone, no one would come here with him sitting there. As soon as the sadness sunk in, it was gone, now an overwhelming sense of nothingness filled its place.
Sasuke almost died because of me... The haunting torturous thought floated in of its own volition.
You couldn’t even defend yourself. Because you’re weak, you almost caused the death of the only person to acknowledge you. You are pathetic. You ARE a monster.
The voices slashed at him, cutting deep into the already existing wounds. Naruto gasped through the internal pain, trying to hold in everything. This time, the view of Konoha was blurred and distorted, as he looked. He let the tears fall, watching them drop down into the empty air below him.

“I don’t see him Hinata.” The raven said impatiently, and began walking in another direction. Hinata scowled at him before checking behind another tree.
“NARUTO!” She screamed, causing the raven to run back at her. As he turned the corner, the sight greeting his eyes stopped his heart. Naruto was sitting atop the railing and leaning out too far.
“NARUTO!” They bellowed together. This time the blond took notice and turned to face them. His eyes were swimming with tears, and his eyes filled with incomprehensible pain.
“Sasuke? Hinata-” He said shocked, and slipped as he turned to face them. For a moment he was frozen, just staring at his friends, the pain gone replaced by the warmest blue eyes he’d ever seen, then he fell backwards off the edge.
“NARUTO!” THey screamed desperately and ran to the edge.

The sensation of falling from so great a height was strange. Naruto knew he was falling, but he felt light, almost buoyant. When he’d turned to see the three of them, his heart had stopped. They all looked so worried, so frightened.
For me, He thought warmly.
They cared. I think I understand now... He thought, strangely calm.
“THey love this place... Because of the people around them..” He wondered aloud.
“NARUTO!” Hinata’s broken, panicked cry cut through his musings, and brought him back to his reality. He glance up at her, locking eyes for a fraction of a second before he began to react.
Hinata, Sasuke, Sakura, Itachi, and even Kakashi floated up in his mind, smiling and waving at him. Warmth blossomed in his chest, for the first time, the will to live burst in his mind, sending scorching waves of power through his body.
I want to live! I want to live with them! I want a life to share with others! He thought feverishly, and whipped himself around in mid-air, forming seals.

Hinata’s heart shattered into a million pieces as she witnessed the blond falling of the rail. When she reached the treacherous thing, she was in tears and sobs were coming from her mouth. She saw the blond falling as though in slow motion, his eyes were up looking at them, they were shaded almost as if he was not there.
“NARUTO!” The scream tore itself from her throat, with her unable to even think. He seemed to hear her, and snapped out of whatever haze he’d been in. He looked into her eyes, and she gasped, the look in his eyes had changed. She saw the will to live, the will to fight in them, and she began to sob. He flipped around and performed a technique that shot him back to the wall. He hit the wall, and his decent began to slow as he tried to hold himself to the wall, using chakra. Then, something went wrong and he fell again.
“NO!” She heard Sakura scream.
“Wind Style: Pressured Stream!” He spat, and pushed himself back to the wall. The chakra in his feet already began to slow his fall. But the decent was still going too fast, and Naruto hit a tiny rock outcropping, tripping him backwards.
Dang it! I actually want to live... I don’t wanna die yet! He fell for a few seconds before he felt strong arms catch him.
“Hey brat! Don’t you know that playing on the railings is dangerous.” A mock severe voice called out.
“K-kakashi?” Naruto sputtered and turned to see the silver haired man.
“Yo!”
“Hey what are we? Chopped liver?” A warm voice called from his other side.
“Iruka-sensei?” Naruto choked out in disbelief.
“My, my, my Naruto. How do you always end up in these pickles.” A deep amused voice chuckled from behind.
“What the- Itachi?”
“Come one blondie! I’m sure Otouto, has a lot to say to you right now.” Itachi said amused as the three ninja helped the confused blond back up the cliff face.

“NARUTO!” Sakura screamed and threw herself on him, pulling him into a bone shattering hug.
“Oi, Noisy girl. Let go before you kill him.” Sasuke’s shaky voice called out, and Sakura pulled away sheepishly. Naruto faced Hinata a little shamefacedly. He stepped up to her slowly.
“Hey, Hina-” He was stopped by a quick slap, from the crying girl.
“You promised!” She said through the falling tears.
“You promised that you wouldn’t ever do something like that ever again.” She hissed as he grabbed his cheek.
“You promised...You promised...” She said tearing up again, this time the blond stepped up and swept her into a hug.
“I know. I’m sorry, Hinata. I’ll never put you through that again. I didn’t intend to fall. It was an accident.” He whispered to her and stroked her hair. She just sobbed into him, letting everything out.
“Yo-you promise? Y-you w-weren-n’t tr-trying to leave?” She stuttered through the sobs.
“Of course not. I finally have a reason to stay.” He cooed to her.
“You were my first friend..” She whispered to him. He forced her to look at him, and flashed her a brilliant smile.
“I’m your first friend? Well, look around you now Hinata. They’re all your friends.” He whispered back gently. She turned and saw all the people around them, and buried her head into his chest in shame. Naruto chuckled but didn’t force her away.
“Oi, Dobe.” Sasuke said, finally getting himself under control.
“Hey, Sasuke.”
“What in the hell were you doing on the railing?” Sasuke growled with barely controlled rage.
“uh... I was thinking... I was just thinking was all...” He put his hands up in his defence.
“Well dobe, if it was thinking that made you think that you were weak or the cause of my injuries, then stop doing it!” He spat angrily, his eyes sparking. Then, his eyes cooled.
“You know, I bought you a gift, well a bribe, but I don’t think that you deserve it.” He said quietly allowing Naruto to see the contents of the bag.
“Hey! Sasuke! You know that I never wanted to jump right! I just fell!” THe blond pleaded, his eyes wide staring at the precious contents of the bag. Sasuke glared at himfor a moment before relenting and handing it over to the pleading blond.
“THANK YOU SASUKE!” He cried and tried to hold both Hinata and the Ramen close.
“Hey, why were you guys so close? I mean, thanks for saving me and all, but how the hell did you know I was here?” Naruto quipped.
“I was coming to get you guys, and saw blond on the Monument.” Kakashi shrugged.
“I was with Kakashi.” Iruka said with a smile.
“I was following Sasuke, since he tried to leave without me this morning.” Itachi said in a bored voice. Naruto glared at the older Raven, who simply blew him a kiss and stalked off saying he had work to do, when he turned to his senseis.
“So, whats up? I mean... The two of you together... I don’t wanna judge...” Naruto said with a smile. Iruka just stared at him, completely unsure of what was going on, then the words finally clicked.
“NONONO! It was nothing like that! Like I would ever!” The younger yelled, and blanched, while Kakashi shook his head.
“Iruka are you saying I’m ugly?” He said with a sad look in his eye.
“NO! I’M SAYING I’M STRAIGHT!” He huffed at the masked man.
“Oh, good! I was worried for a moment.” The silver haired man said quickly.
“Anyways! I’m here to tell you three, that I’ve put in your names for the Chuunin Exams.” Kakashi said, pulling his book out.
“what?” The three chroused together.
“mmm... If you pass, then you’ll be Chunin. If you don’t... Then you’re stuck with me for another round.” He said with a smile. Naruto turned to his fellows.
“The hell we are! We’re passing the test!” They chanted together.
“Good. Then tomorrow you’ll be reporting to the first testing grounds. I hope you guys are ready.” Kakashi smiled at them, his smile telling them of his confidence in them.
“Alright! Come on, Iruka! Lets go!” He reached for the younger Chunin, but he stepped up to the blond.
“Naruto, I want to talk to you.” He said blithly ignoring the other man.
“THe tests are dangerous. So when you and your team go through them, you will have to be working as a team, not just as ninja. You must be willing to risk yourself, and let your teammates risk themselves as well.” Iruka said gently, placing a hand on Naruto’s shoulder.
“Only when you reach the level of respect with each other, can you truly trust each other and depend on one another in combat. Never forget. Your team is the only thing that you can even count on.” Iruka gave them a smile.
“I believe in you all.” He said with a wave and vanished with Kakashi. After a moment of silence Naruto shook his head.
“I don’t care what they say. The way they just acted, I’m sure they’re together.”
“NARUTO!” His friends yelled at him.
“What?”
“Don’t spread rumors!” Sakura growled.
“Don’t belittle Iruka!” Sasuke said offhandedly.
“At least wait until they come and say it.” Hinata tore herself from the hug to say.
“So you don’t doubt it either, Hinata?” The frosty glare he recieved told him he wasn’t out of the doghouse quite yet.
“Alright, I’ll drop it. If we go get lunch! I’m starving! Almost dying is hard work!” He said with a puppy dog look to his best friends. They stared at him completely shocked, before bursting into laughter.
“Fine, Dobe. Lets go eat.”
“YES! Sasuke’s paying!”
“Hey! I didn’t say that!”
“But you said lets go eat...”
“...” Sasuke glared at him, and Naruto fixed his puppy blue eyes on Sakura.
“Sakura-chan! Don’t you want Sasuke to treat us?” He whined.
“uh... well it would be nice..” She said hesitantly.
“............ Fine. I’ll treat.”
“WOOHOOO!” The blond ran forward pulling Hinata, Sakura, and Sasuke with him.
“Come on! It can be the first time we all eat together as friends!” The blond said with a brilliant smile, a smile that the others couldn’t help but return.
“Alright dobe. Your friends are coming.”
Chapter 21 by bronzelord
Chapter 22 by bronzelord
Chapter 23 by bronzelord
Chapter 24 by bronzelord
Chapter 25 by bronzelord
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=10292