TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Chronicles of the Yondaime by The 1000th Bird

[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chronicles of the Yondaime

Prologue

A soft wind blew through the monumental forest that surrounded Konohagakure no Sato, filling the peaceful air beyond the walls with the quiet rustling of leaves. However, the goings on within the shinobi settlement were far from still. Joy filled shouts echoed out over the rooftops of the ninja city, hundreds of colorful banners accentuating the uniqueness of the occasion. The streets were crowded with the denizens of the world’s largest military community, and some yet lingered in the squares surrounding the headquarters of the Hokage, their eyes cast on the impressive structure in unbridled happiness.

As it always did, the Monument to the Hidden Leaf’s previous leaders towered protectively over the ninja village, its long shadow stretching as far as the distant walls in the fading light of dusk. The faces of the Shodai, the Nidaime, the Sandaime, the Yondaime, and the Godaime all stared down on Konoha, eternally watching over the people they had cared for through their lives. But already, scaffolding had been erected next to the carefully chiseled features of the Fifth, preparations to begin construction delayed until the celebrations ended. And barely visible in the twilight, no more than a patch of white on the head of the Yondaime, a lone figure could be seen, unmoving in his precarious position.

A small smile played on the lips of one Naruto Uzumaki as he gazed out over the village that had been his home for so long, twirling the object in his hands with a sort of casual respect. He absently fingered the hem of his robe, displaying a mild interest in the scarlet kanji inscribed into the white fabric. His thoughts wandered, moving from the events of the day, to the extensive list of responsibilities he would be taking on in a few short hours. Heavens knew that he would be busy enough.

The sound of sandals bouncing off stone made him turn, but he didn’t react. His own personal ANBU guard was stationed at various points around the monument; if danger were coming, he would have known. And so, he didn’t so much as flinch when the former Godaime Hokage landed deftly on the head of the Fourth, a mere foot away from the perch of the newly named Rokudaime.

“So, you finally made it,” the only surviving Sannin murmured, taking a seat next to her successor.

A dry chortle escaped the throat of the Sixth Hokage of the Hidden Leaf, “Yeah, but the journey was hardly what you would call a cakewalk.”

Tsunade nodded, conceding, “But you must remember; the journey is only just beginning. You may have crossed the hills, but the mountains are still looming.”

“Thanks for that little reminder,” Naruto snorted, his blue eyes never leaving the scurrying figures in the streets below, “It sounds like something the old man might have said.”

The retired Godaime chuckled softly, “It was one of his favorites. Whenever Jiraiya, Orochimaru and I would complete a particularly difficult task, he would always tell us the hardest was coming. It was one of the old fellow’s most infuriating, yet endearing qualities.”

They both fell into a comfortable silence, reminiscing about the companions they had lost on their similar, yet starkly different paths. Tsunade’s face was the picture of calm and serenity, the pressure of the office finally removed from her shoulders after years of loyal service. Next to hers, Naruto’s expression was the required mask of the shinobi leader; impassive, and yet still exuding a feeling of raw power.

Minutes passed, stretching on into the evening. Far below, the citizens of Konoha continued their festivities into the night, younger children being sent to their beds as the older folk rolled out numerous casks of wine to further celebrate the coronation of their newest protector. On the distant walls, experts directed the preparation of specially imported fireworks under the watchful eyes of Leaf ninja. Such things were a rarity in the ninja world, and as such were a rare treat for the people of Konoha.

Tsunade turned slightly, glancing at the man who had been her son for so long. The years had changed him, of that there was no doubt. All signs of teenage lankiness was gone, replaced by a show of seamless fluidity and strength. Blonde hair still stuck out in a ruffled sort of way, and yet even that appeared in place in the posture of the Rokudaime. As always, the necklace she had given him years ago hung from his neck. He had come a long way, but she wasn’t lying when she said that the longest road was the one yet to come.

“It’s not polite to stare,” the Uzumaki said wryly, breaking her from her reverie.

Ignoring the weak jibe, the Slug Sannin sighed, “You should be down there with them, you know. It is your coronation that they’re celebrating after all. And technically, they are your people now.”

“They’ve always been my people,” the Rokudaime murmured softly, “All my life has been dedicated to this moment, Tsunade. I’ve been working towards it ever since I discovered what the Hokage stood for, what it meant.” He paused, “And yet, now that I’m here, I don’t know where my path will lead me.”

“Not many do, at your age,” Tsunade muttered, “But you have time. You just have to trust in yourself, and your instincts, and you will find the right way. You got this far, didn’t you?”

The younger shinobi nodded, his gaze lingering on the city that was now his charge, “Still, I don’t think I’d be here if it wasn’t for all the people that helped me along the way. Without them, I think I would have lost my way long ago.”

The kunoichi sighed, “Just remember that you helped a lot of them achieve their dreams too, Naruto. You have always been the one that others look to for support, and I have little doubt that they will continue to do so. In my eyes, the path that you follow has never led you astray, and as long as you continue on that road, you’ll make a great Hokage.” She hesitated for a moment, before slowly reaching into the folds of her kimono and retrieving a small, hastily wrapped package.

Naruto raised a single eyebrow as he lowered the ceremonial hat of the Hokage onto the stone beside him, carefully accepting the parcel from the onetime Hokage, “And what, if I may ask, is this?”

“It’s something Jiraiya gave me before he … left,” the mention of her former teammate seemed to pain the Slug Sannin, and she hurried on, “He wanted me to pass it on to you, when the correct time had come.”

The Rokudaime glanced at her questioningly, while his hands carefully extricated a battered volume from the tattered wrapping. His blue eyes widened as he saw the neatly printed kanji on the front, “Jiraiya didn’t write this.”

It was a statement, not a question.

Tsunade nodded, “Before he left, Jiraiya told me that the original owner passed it onto him for safe-keeping. Similarly, he handed it on to me to keep it in good hands. At least, until I deemed you ready for it.”

For a moment, silence reigned, and then …

“Thank you.”

XXXX

The door to the offices of the Rokudaime creaked open slowly, as the newly instated Hokage stepped tentatively into his new headquarters. Several torches lit the night darkened room, illuminating the faces of several former Fire Shadows looking down on the space sternly, a constant reminder of his responsibility to his people. His own eyes lingered for a moment of the Fourth, before walking slowly across the floor and lowering himself into the seat.

Naruto sighed as he caught sight of the large bundle of papers on the corner of his desk, neatly stacked and ready for the authority of the Hokage. He removed the ceremonial hat with a deft flick, casually placing it on the top of the pile. Various pieces of stationery were placed tidily on the edge of the desk, ready for the hand of the new leader of the Hidden Leaf. Ignoring the tall stack for now, the Rokudaime reverently removed the gift from Tsunade and placed it on the smooth wood before him.

His eyes touched the bold kanji on the front cover once more, and he let go of a deep breath he didn’t know he had been holding. Bright blue orbs flickered to the mural of the Yondaime once more before moving back to the old volume in front of him. All his life, he had wondered what they had been like, who they were, and this was finally his chance.

Taking another deep breath, Naruto Uzumaki glanced at the cover once more, his eyes tracing the kanji that read Minato Namikaze, and then turned to the first page.
Chapter end notes: All rights and profits associated with the Naruto franchise are the property of Masashi Kishimoto.