TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Naruto Raiu by KurayamiLeader

[Reviews - 9]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Mikko Makato, Tanzou Murasaki, Hishegami Otokusa, Satoru, Fuuko, Umikira, Sono Ishikara, Ayane Shuura, Nikaari Shuuma, Ansari Hotaru, Kaori Kasume, Kyoshi Katsurou, Honoka Yamaguchi, Atsuko Yamaguchi, Masaru Dazai.
Chapter #21: “Meltdown on the Plains of Frozen Death!”
*Note: Credit goes to the following authors for the following team(s)
-Tengaigakure: Ayane Shuura, Sono Ishikara, and Nikaari Shuuma. Credit goes to Quzor.
-Konohagakure: Ansari Hotaru, Kaori Kasume, and Kyoshi Katsurou. Credit goes to TheWrongVine.
-Iwagakure: Hiroto Yamanouchi, Honoka Yamaguchi, Atsuko Yamaguchi, and Masaru Dazai. Credit goes to SpectacularInsanity

The genin shinobi all gathered upon the frozen plains of the arctic continent. The wind had begun to pick up, blowing around Hishegami and Mikko’s hair, forcing them to draw up their hoods.
Umikira stood in-between Satoru and Fuuko, beside the genin from Konoha, and the genin trio from Tengaigakure, and the rest of the Kumogakure genin stood behind them all.
Ai Asagiri stood before the crowd of genin students, looking from one shinobi to another. “You all know why you are here today.” Ai stated. “This IS the exam!” she added. “Anyone who feels as though they can’t go on, can just take their teammates and remain on the Namitora the rest of the exam!” Ai exclaimed, watching the faces of the young students express intentions of confidence and fear. “This is not a game; if you lose you may wind up dead!” Ai stated. “So, if you plan on moving further in to the exams I suggest you go all out on this one, and use your brains as much as possible!” Ai declared.

Mikko felt a lump in her throat. She gulped and tried remaining calm. Mikko wasn’t sure whether it was fear or excitement that was getting her all antsy and wound up.
Ai placed a hand on her hip and stared down the crowd of genin. The wind blew icy chills on the faces of everyone; silence was golden as tension filled the air. Ai grinned, “Well then, without further-ado, let’s begin the field exam already!” Ai shouted before blowing a whistle.
Several blue dressed chunin officers approached the genin crowd. “These chunin guides will direct you all to your designated starting points.” Ai stated. “Starting points, you mean we aren’t going to have at it out here!?” Satoru wondered. “No, you will all be taken approximately three miles from here.” Ai added. The chunin officers handed a set of three flags to one shinobi of each three-man cell. “You may be wondering what these flags are.” Ai said. “Your overall goal is to make it back to the Namitora by midnight.” Ai added. “And in addition to returning here in one piece, you should have three flags, each a different color; red, blue, and white.” Ai said. “You are to return to the Namitora with as many of your own flags as possible, the ones who return here with the most remaining flags will obviously have better chances of succeeding in the exams.” Ai added. “By the way, that doesn’t mean you can’t take another team’s flags.” Ai said. “If your squad is attacked, then attack back, but guard your flags at all costs. Losing a flag will lose your team points, and without good points you will be at the bottom of the ladder.” Ai added. “So then, you will all have the rest of the day to guard your flags, while making the journey back to the ship.” Ai said. “Your assigned officer will guide your team to your post and will notify you when it is your time to move.” Ai said. “Any questions?” Ai asked the group of genin. She looked around and shook her head, “Alright, MOVE OUT!” She cried after blowing her whistle again.

A chunin officer approached Mikko and her team and handed the flags to Mikko. “Alright, this should be easy!” Mikko cheered. “Don’t get carried away!” Hishegami scolded. “I wonder just how difficult it will really be, making it back here.” Tanzou wondered.
Mikko and her team followed the chunin officer for what seemed like an hour, until they stopped by a large snow embankment. “This is your starting point.” The officer said. “This is it?” Mikko asked. “Then this ought to be very simple!” Mikko cried. “You do realize that the three of you will be proceeding further over that snow ridge and around the frozen plains to reach the Namitora.” The officer replied. “We have to go around!?” Hishegami exclaimed. “Well still that shouldn’t be too hard, with the others on a different route right?” Mikko asked. The chunin officer shook his head. “The path we just took is the most direct and easy path to get from here to the ship, if anyone is caught back-tracking they will be disqualified and expelled from the exams.” The officer added. Mikko and her teammates were silent, drinking in all of the officer’s information. “The average jonin takes about four hours to get from here to the Namitora, through the arctic fields.” The officer said. “And that is with special speed training and not including the ice hazards, and the little ‘challenges’.” The officer added. The officer turned and proceeded to leave, “You three have until midnight to make it back to the Namitora in one piece and with all of your flags in tact.”

Mikko and her squad watched as the chunin officer disappeared into the plains, back to the safety and comfort of the Namitora. Hishegami grit her teeth, “Damn it…” She groaned. “We’d better get going.” Tanzou reminded. “Yeah…” Hishegami replied. “Don’t you guys start getting glum on me now!” Mikko exclaimed. “We’re a long ways off from losing so don’t even think about calling it quits!” Mikko added. Hishegami and Tanzou were silent throughout Mikko’s speech. “We’ve got three flags, and nine hours to make it to the Namitora through the plains, I think that should be a cakewalk for us!” Mikko said. “But Mikko!” Hishegami interrupted. “But what?” Mikko butted in. “We’re the best that Kumogakure has got and no one; no one is going to take our chance away from becoming chunin!” Mikko cried. Tanzou smiled and shook his head, “Always with the dramatics, eh Mikko?” Tanzou noted. (“She has a point, though I hate to admit it.”) Hishegami thought. “I studied like crazy for this exam, and while I’m most certain I did well on the written portion, it is the physical part that I am concerned with.” Hishegami explained. "Well you shouldn't be so worried Hishegami-rat, that's you've got us!" Mikko said while giving Hishegami a slap on the back. Hishegami growled and gritted her teeth, but sighed and gave up a laugh. "You're right, I was worrying for nothing." Hishegami admitted. "After all I have Tanzou, and you." She added. Mikko and Tanzou smiled, the three each took a long deep breath and proceeded in the direction to the Namitora.

"It's really a shame that we can't just turn around and get to the Namitora." Hishegami noted. "That would be cheating." Tanzou replied. "Yeah, and besides that would only take an hour maybe." Mikko added. "Where's the fun in that?" Mikko said. ("Fun? Your idea of fun is physical exhaustion!") Hishegami thought. The trio marched up the icy slope and wrapped their scarves tighter once the wind had picked up, and icicles felt to form on their frozen noses. "It's freezing!" Hishegami exclaimed. "Just...think of warm thoughts." Tanzou ecnouraged Hishegami. "Okay...summertime...barbecues...hot weather..." Hishegami said. "Stop it you're making me all sweaty and hungry!" Mikko groaned. "Mikko-baka!" Hishegami growled.

Meanwhile, the Kirigakure team was walking at a casual stride, with Umikira following behind Satoru and Fuuko. Satoru looked glanced back at Umikira and looked at Fuuko, "Say, do you think Umikira's even interested in this exam?" Satoru asked. Fuuko shrugged, "I think he just want's a chance to unleash his power." she replied. Satoru looked back at Umikira again, who was walking at a slow pace and not even paying any attention to his siblings. "What are the chances of all of us passing this thing anyway?" Satoru wondered. "I don't know, it's different in Kirigakure than it is in Kumogakure." Fuuko replied. "After all, we're not the ones fighting a war." She added. Satoru lowered his head in thought, "Yeah..." Fuuko looked at Satoru, "Something the matter?" She asked. Satoru shook his head, "Nope, I just want a chance to give Reikyuu a shot before it rusts!" Satoru cockily replied. Fuuko smirked, "I think we'll be getting our shot sooner than you think, Satoru." Fuuko said with grin. "I sure hope so, after all Umikira's always been the quiet type. However, he always gets worse when he's itching for blood." Satoru noted. Fuuko nodded, "In deed." Satoru pulled out his pack of cigarettes, pulled one out and lit it up. "You really ought to give that up, it's such a nasty habbit." Fuuko chided. Satoru grinned, "Let's just take things in strides, okay?" He replied.

The Konoha three-man team of Ansari, Kaori, and Kyoshi walked along the frozen path. "It sure is cold." Kaori commented. "You're not kidding." Kyoshi responded. "Both of you, keep your calm." Ansari said. "We've a long way to go and little time to get there." Ansari added. "Do you think we should run instead of walk?" Kyoshi asked. Ansari nodded, "Maybe we can get to the Namitora before the others do." Ansari said. "Or at the very least, get second in place." He added. "Well then, we'd better get going, right Kaori!" Kyoshi exclaimed, all fired up. Kaori smiled and nodded, "Right!" She agreed. The three Konohagakure genin focused some chakra to their feet and began running on the path and up the approaching slope. "At this rate we'll get there in six hours flat!" Kyoshi bragged. "The average jonin takes at least four to five hours to get all the way around!" Ansari reminded. "I was merely being generous!" Kyoshi added. The Konoha trio dashed up the slope and out of sight at high speeds.

Another team from Kumogakure, Hiruko's team composed of Pai, Li, and Hiruko, stood around Pai who was shivering in her boots and whining. "This sucks, this sucks, this sucks, this SUCKS!!!" She exclaimed. "Aw come on Pai, it isn't too much further." Li said. "Actually it will take us at least three to four hours just to make it around the bend." Hiruko corrected. "WHAAA!?" Pai freaked, and began sobbing. "I hate the cold, I hate the cold, I hate the cold, I HATE IT!" She screamed.

The Tengaigakure trio stopped in their tracks as they approached an icy archway. "Did you guys hear something?" Sono asked. "It sounded like a scream." Ayane noted. "Perhaps the perils of this frozen waste has already gotten to some of the genin here." Nikaari concluded. "Perhaps, but we are not ordinary genin." Sono commented. "It's true, we scored higher than the average chunin during our pre-selection exams." Ayane added. "Don't get cocky guys." Nikaari said. "This isn't just about brains anymore, it's about having the most will power." Nikaari said. "Mind over matter." Sono replied. Ayana laughed, "It looks like brains wins again!" She happily exclaimed. Nikaari sighed as he followed behind his comrades under the the icy archway, and further up to the slope.

Mikko, Tanzou, and Hishegami arrived at the bottom of a ridge. "This is it, this is where the fun starts." Tanzou said. "The wind has picked up so much since we initially started." Hishegami noted. "So all we have to do is just climb this ridge and make our way down to the other side?" Mikko wondered. "It would appear that way." Tanzou replied, readying himself to climb the ridge. "Great, more climbing!" Hishegami complained. "What is with your attitude today?" Mikko asked. "What attitude?" Hishegami questioned as she cimbed up after Tanzou. "The one you've had all day since the begining of the field exam!" Mikko replied. Hishegami grew silent, "You're right, you're right I'm being silly." Hishegami confessed. "I keep forgetting that I have two of Kumogakure's best standing by me!" Hishegami added. ("Even though at times you are soooo very reckless Mikko-baka!") Hishegami thought. "That's the spirit!" Mikko cheered as she climbed up and over lastly. The trio all managed to climb up and over the icy ridge and down to the snowy basin below. "Wow, there's a ton of snow around here!" Mikko exclaimed. "Not just that, it's way deep too!" Hishegami added. "We'd better watch our footing, just to be careful!" Tanzou advised, as he continued ahead. ("Oh Tanzou, you're always looking out for my well-being!") Hishegami thought, a smile forming on her cold face.
The trio trodged and stumbled through the thick, and deep snow and made their way across a frozen river to find a monolithic frozen ice wall, waiting ahead for them to climb it. "W-what is that!?" Hishegami blurted, pointing at the massive ice wall. "Looks to me like a glacier." Tanzou commented. "And we're expected to climb this thing!?" Hishegami panicked. "It doesn't look so bad." Mikko said, making her way past Hishegami and standing directly before the ice wall. Tanzou examined the massive wall of ice. "Hmm, I think once we scale around this glacier we will be taken to the other side, meaning we should be at least four hours closer to our goal." Tanzou speculated. "Really, you mean will reach the Namitora within nine hours!?" Mikko cried. "It looks like it." Tanzou replied. "It only took us three hours to get this far, not counting the initial hour to get to the starting position." Tanzou added. Tanzou approached the glacier and placed his gloved hands on it, "It seems sturdy enough." He said. "Are we REALLY going to climb that?" Hishegami asked. Tanzou looked over his shoulder, "Come on, there's no time to waste." Tanzou said with a confident smile. Mikko smiled, "Alright, let's do this!" She said climbing up after Tanzou. "Watch your step Mikko, it's slick!" Tanzou cried from above, being already five feet above Mikko. "No problem! Well, are you coming Hishegami?" Mikko called from up the glacier. Hishegami cursed and kicked at the snow. "Like I have a choice!" She replied, walking up to the glacier and slowly making her way up its face. Tanzou had already climbed up to the peak and around the glacier, with Mikko nearing the top. "Come on Hishegami, you're almost there!" Mikko cried. "No I'm not, I'm still way at the bottom!" Hishegami complained. Hishegami continued to scale the glacier when her foot slipped and she lost her balance, "Oh no!!!" Hishegami cried. "Hold on!" Mikko cried, darting down the side and grabbing Hishegami by the wrist. "T-Thanks!" Hishegami said. "I guess I'm going to have to carry you on my back, eh Hishegami?" Mikko asked. "No, you don't need to..." Hishegami replied, but Mikko picked her up and carried her on her shoulders up the side of the glacier and around to the other side, catching up with Tanzou.
"There you are, we'd better hurry the other teams are probably ahead of us by now!" Tanzou exclaimed. "Thanks to me..." Hishegami groaned. "No way, we'll catch up in no time and whoop their asses!" Mikko declared proudly. Tanzou smiled, "Glad to see that one of us is optimistic!" Mikko grinned, "You have to beat the worst situations with the best attitudes!" Mikko replied. "Where did you hear that?" Tanzou asked. "It was a saying my mom always said when I was little." Mikko responded. Tanzou and Hishegami exchanged glances, "Well we'd better get going..." Tanzou said. "Yeah, we don't want those losers from the Mist Village to catch up to us!" Mikko exclaimed. "Yeah!" Hishegami agreed. "Good to hear it, so from here on out we're not giving up, and we're not going to get careless, got it?" Tanzou asked. "Got it!" Hishegami and Mikko agreed in unison. "Alright!" Tanzou said with a nod. "Gee Tanzou, you'd make a fine squad captain." Mikko said. "You think so?" Tanzou asked. "I do!" Hishegami blurted. "I mean, I agree with Mikko!" Hishegami corrected herself, her face reddening. The trio continued on their path, and walked for what felt like hours, but was only thirty minutes at most and made their way to the bottom of the mountainside. "This is it, the Shimokage no Yama." Tanzou explained, as the three looked up the mountain face. "Whoa!" is all Mikko could muster. "It's so, big!" Hishegami exclaimed. "I hope you guys are prepared, because it's going to be a long way up that mountain, and we need to work as a team in order to get past it." Tanzou explained. "Don't worry about it, if we could get Hishegami over that tiny glacier, then this somewhat big mountain will be no different." Mikko replied. "WHAT!?" Hishegami cried. "Somewhat big!?" Hishegami added. "This mountain is HUGE, have you ever seen one before!?" Hishegami questioned. "Chill out Hishegami-rat, we're on a serious misison here." Mikko said casually. "WHAT!?" Hishegami cried, gritting her teeth. "You-you Mikko, baka!!!" Hishegami screamed. "Say, you going to need me to carry you on my back again? Because if so, I'm going to need my back brace." Mikko said. Hishegami's face grew red as a tomato, ("Now she's calling me fat!?") Hishegami thought. "I am not FAT!" Hishegami exclaimed. "Okay, whatever." Mikko replied. "And another thing, that glacier was NOT tiny!" Hishegami scolded. "Yeah, yeah." Mikko said as she followed Tanzou up the mountain path.
Chapter end notes: Flashback Arc...