TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


True Hyuuga Genius by Nightblade888

[Reviews - 10]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“But Hokage-sama, they aren’t ready, even their sensei agrees!” Iruka argued with the more experienced ninja.

“I know Iruka, but it is a requirement for genin teams to complete a c-rank mission before they are able to participate in the chuunin exams, and my colleagues wish for Team Seven to be eligible when the exam comes to Konoha.” Sarutobi explained the rational behind assigning team seven a c-rank mission.

Iruka was frustrated and there was nothing he could do about it. The councilors to the Hokage, Homura and Koharu, had requested that Uchiha Sasuke, and by default team seven, be eligible for the exam that was to be in about a month. Iruka was against this idea for a number of reasons, first off was the lack of teamwork, the famous Hatake Kakashi had admitted that they only passed his test by sheer luck and that their teamwork hadn’t grown like the elders had insisted. Secondly was the reasoning behind their decision, exposure. They wanted to be able to flaunt the last Uchiha in front of the various foreign ninja and daimyos that would come for the exam finals. This could easily back fire, especially with the Hyuuga twins and their cousin, Neji. Neji was the previous rookie of the year, before Sasuke, and Haran was reportedly a stronger fighter than his cousin. For all Iruka knew, Sasuke might fail in the first round, thus negating their opportunity to show him off. It was a flawed plan and he couldn’t do anything about it.

He sighed in defeat as team seven walked in and awaited their first c-rank mission. The Hokage explained how their mission was to guard a bridge builder named Tazuna until the bridge he was building was done. The grey haired man knew that this was far beyond a normal c-rank mission, since it would almost assuredly involve an assassination, if not an encounter with missing ninja, but he had a back up plan in place, and besides, Kakashi would be there, and there weren’t many who could stand up to him. After introducing their client, the four members left to gather their supplies.

Sarutobi sunk into his chair, he didn’t want to send those four out, he wasn’t sure that they could work together to protect their client, which is why he had called for team eight.

Kurenai entered, followed by Hinata who was placing a scroll into her utility pouch and then Haran and Shino, who were having a small conversation about the usefulness of termites.

It had only been three days since they had returned from their first C-rank mission, so Kurenai was wondering what was happening, normally teams that were on missions for longer than two weeks got at least five days off before their next mission, something wasn’t right.

“Unfortunately my advisors decided that it would be a good idea to assign team seven to guard Tazuna. Kakashi should be able to handle any threats, but I’m afraid of the teams reaction should they face missing ninja. Although you don’t have any combat experience yourselves, I feel as though your team would be an ideal ghost detail for team seven.” Sarutobi explained. He received a look of surprise from Kurenai, but not from the genin. Of course, Shino was as stoic as usual, but Haran looked anxious and Hinata looked indifferent.

“You’re asking us to tail team seven, and make sure that they don’t die?” Kurenai asked, skeptically.

“Unofficially yes, officially, your mission is to ascertain Gato’s hold in the wave country, something you were not able to do in great detail on your previous mission. We need to know if we would need to commit forces to settle any uprisings, or if an independent Wave would side with us or one of our more hostile allies. This should be a good test of your skills in both combat and data gathering, so this is more of a high C-class or low B-rank mission, but if you can complete your mission without alerting Kakashi I’ll give you a bonus more akin to an A-rank.” His last statement was met with a chuckle from the team who accepted the mission and went on their way to collect their supplies.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Team seven had left around noon, so Team eight left about ten minutes later, keeping enough distance to be able to help in an emergency but stay hidden. How? Thanks to the twins byakugan! By having Haran scan ahead of Kakashi’s team, they knew what they would be coming to five minutes ahead of Kakashi, giving them five minutes to try and catch up to Team seven. Hinata kept her eyes trained on the team watching for any sign they had been found. It had been an uneventful hour so far, but that changed when Haran spoke up.

“Sensei, there’s a genjutsu up ahead that is no better than low chuunin level. I can’t see through it, but it seems to cover two people from the size of the area.” He reported.

After contemplating for a moment, Kurenai made the decision to close their range to half the current distance, but they should remain hidden.

As Hinata watch team seven pass by the genjutsu, she watched as Kakashi used kawarimi to avoid the now identifiable two assailants. She watched as Sakura froze as she watched her sensei disappear and the entire team heard her scream. She saw Sasuke pin the chain that the two heavily armored shinobi had attached to their arms, to the tree. Ino proceeded to use her family’s shintenshin no jutsu (Mind Body switch technique) to take control of one of the two shinobi and then used the confusion to disable the other.

Not wanting to make a noise so close to the group, Hinata motioned that everything was ok and the ghost team dropped back. Once they were at a safe following distance, Hinata spoke up.

“It seems that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, Ino-san was able to disable one of the ninja after Uchiha-san pinned their chain to a tree. She worked well considering that there was no plan in place for this situation. We’ll just have to see if they continue on.”

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Of course, team seven did indeed continue their mission, Sasuke was upset that he didn’t get to fight more and Sakura was annoyed that Ino had taken out both shinobi, especially considering that Kakashi had told them they were chuunin level.

Team eight was having a much easier time of things than team seven. Shino had attached a female kikai bug to each member of the team, as well as Tazuna, so that should they somehow give the ghost team the slip, they would be located easily enough. They were able to get a bit of extra sleep that night, although during Haran’s guard shift, he noticed a bit of movement at the edge of his range, something that could spell trouble for them tomorrow.

They awoke the next day early enough to clean up their site and not leave traces, and still shadow Team seven without sacrificing time. Haran had told them of the movement he had seen the previous night, and Kurenai agreed that it might be another assassin out for the bounty on Tazuna. Sure enough, not more than fifteen minutes into the day, Haran spotted two figures with significantly larger chakra signatures than the two chuunin they saw yesterday. Since they were not using a genjutsu, just stealth, he theorized that they were at least jounin skill in terms of stealth. One had the mask of a Hunter ninja, while the other was recognizable to anyone who had read the bingo book. Momochi Zabuza was an A-class missing nin, wanted for the attempted assassination of the Mizukage and was a former member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist.

“Kurenai-sensei, there are two jounin level ninja, one is Momochi Zabuza, but I don’t recognize the other, but he is wearing a mask like a hunter ninja. It’s obviously a ruse, they wouldn’t be working together if they were enemies, but we need to catch up quickly, they are just about to pass in front of them.” Haran spat out the information with a sense of urgency.

Kurenai’s blood red eyes widened and she motioned for her team to close the gap again, but still remain out of sight. Since the opponents were jounin, she had them close to three-quarters distance, instead of one-half, like the previous scare. Sure enough, Zabuza had made his presence known, and Kakashi had revealed his sharingan before the team was within visual range, but the second ninja was just hiding in a tree, not moving. He seemed to be observing the proceedings with great interest. Haran assumed that the faux hunter nin was trying to figure out a way to negate the sharingan, but couldn’t be sure. If it was true, that meant that Zabuza’s plan wasn’t to win this fight, but to test Kakashi, and then come back and finish his assignment, which meant that his assistant was needed to spirit him away at some point. Haran pointed out the location of the assistant to Kurenai, who formed the seals for one of her favorite illusions, Magen: Jubaku Satsu (Demonic Illusion: Tree Bind Death) and disappeared.

In a tree overlooking the battle, a boy with long brown hair watched as his father figure fought with the famous Copy Ninja, Hatake Kakashi and his sharingan eye. The first semblances of a plan began to form in the teen’s head as he watched the copy wheel eye mimic the mizu bunshin through the thick fog of the Kirigakure no jutsu. He never noticed the slight rise in chakra until he found himself under the illusion that Kurenai so expertly wove. He felt as though he was melting into the tree he was crouched on and lost all motor control of his limbs. His head jerked up as he watched Kurenai materialize out of the tree, kunai in hand. He could do nothing as she slid the sharp knife through his windpipe, bringing his tragic life to an end.

Making sure that the body wouldn’t fall out of the tree, Kurenai made her way back to her team. She wasn’t a combat specialist like Kakashi, and had a difficult time seeing through the mist that Zabuza had created. The twins reported that Kakashi had been captured by Zabuza in a water prison and his team was having no luck freeing him. It should have been a simple matter, Ino could have just taken control of his body, but Sasuke had rushed head first into a battle with a mizu bunshin and was being man handled, forcing the blonde to focus her attention on the clone, in an attempt to free her teammate.

Kurenai decided to step in and ordered Shino and Haran to help out the other genin, while Hinata was to stay back and keep look out over the area. Haran was forced to henge into his ‘Naruto form’ or else ruin his secret. Shino simply released swarms of kikai to leach off the chakra in the air, thanks to the hidden mist technique, as well as deplete the chakra of the mizu bunshin. Both tasks were handled with swift efficiency, as Team seven was shocked when the fog was cleared by the sound of buzzing, and Uzumaki Naruto stood next to the injured Sasuke.

Seeing the new arrivals, Zabuza became worried, if mere genin had slipped past Haku, than the boy was either captured or dead. He felt the subtle manipulations in chakra around him that indicated a genjutsu was being used. He canceled the illusion before it could even affect him, but in reality it was too late. Kurenai had cast a multi layered illusion, the first was easily recognizable, but the second was much more difficult to notice. It was a simple illusion, one that made the victim think that they were somewhere else, other than their true location. To free Kakashi, Kurenai made the former swordsman think that he was on dry land and that Kurenai had tripped him up. He instinctively placed his hands out to break his fall, but in the process he broke the hold he had on his water prison. Kakashi, who was able to see through both of the illusions, rose to the surface, ready to finish his fight. When his hands went through the ‘ground’ Zabuza realized his mistake. He needed to take his chance to escape, since Haku wasn’t there to save him.

He needed to salvage this situation somehow. Suddenly, the thought of the sixth genin stuck in his mind, if he could find that genin, he would have a large bargaining chip to be played at a later date. He quickly located the genin, a girl, who was in a tree a good distance away, but it was worth a shot. Creating a bunch of water clones, he erupted from the water towards the other genin, only to be blocked off by both jounin who had relocated themselves to intercept his movements. They were both shocked to find that they were fighting one of the clones and quickly dispatched of the liquid form, before moving on the next one, only to find the same thing. The real ninja had already covered the distance to Hinata’s location, but before he could grab her, a puff of smoke interrupted his view, as a boy with blonde hair and blue eyes appeared in his way. Zabuza quickly dispatched the clone with a swing of his sword, but that was all Hinata needed to get away from the man. She used his outstretched sword as a branch and leapt off and away from the bandaged man. Cursing, he called out more mist before disappearing into it once more. Shino’s kikai quickly went to work on removing the mist but when they did, the missing nin was gone and everyone was accounted for.

Kakashi was glad that Kurenai and her team had shown up when they did, it was his fault he had been caught in the water against someone from Mist, not one of his brightest moves. He was going to question why they were sent, when he felt the initial twinges of fatigue and pain that signified chakra exhaustion. He covered his sharingan before falling to the ground, unconscious.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

After checking over the collapsed jounin, Kurenai took command and had her team help move Kakashi and Sasuke to Tazuna’s house, which was close by. She introduced herself to Tazuna and his family, before taking her team to a room and planning their scouting routine and schedule. With Zabuza not gravely injured and loose, they would need to be very careful and not go out on their own. It would have to be done during the day, and Kurenai would need to be in the area with them. It put a new hindrance in the path of their investigation, but Team eight took it in stride and set about helping Team seven heal their wounds and caught back up with one another.

Haran had taken this time to dye his hair, instead of relying on a transformation, as well as insert blue tinted contacts. It would not be good for Kakashi or any member of Team seven to notice him.