TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


True Hyuuga Genius by Nightblade888

[Reviews - 10]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Ok, well, I’m not too happy with the chapter, I just couldn’t come up with a new test that would be challenging and yet play to Team Seven somehow. So I hope the new twists will keep you happy until the next exam.

I’m sorry this took so long, but I’ve just been too engrossed with ‘Mirage’ lately to concentrate on this story. I swear that I am not giving up on this story, but I just have gotten this really strong urge to work on Mirage, especially now that I’ve gotten to the awesomely sweet part.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, and to those who just wrote in to let me know what they thought about my question, thanks to you guys also. So please review this chapter and I promise that I’ll try and update soon, but I really want to advance Mirage some more, so no promises.)
Thursday rolled around, and team eight headed towards room 331 in their old stomping grounds, the academy. Going into the chuunin exam, they knew a couple things. First off, was that the exam wasn’t easy normally, and know it had to be set up so that Orochimaru couldn’t get to Sasuke. This would make the exam much, much harder, for how does one trick a sannin, but allow genin to pass a test? All the information they had gathered on the old tests, often handed out as part of their training with Kurenai-senei, was now useless. The benefit of being a reconnaissance specialized squad, was that they had the ability to enter into a completely foreign situation, get information and then get out intact and healthy.

They had arrived well before the noon deadline, which allowed them to scope out the competition, as well as avoid any unofficial tests that were designed to delay teams from meeting the deadline. They watched from the corner of the waiting room as multiple teams from various countries walked through the doors. There were so many teams from Konoha that it seemed harder and harder as time passed, to find the foreign teams. Eventually they spotted a team from Amegakure, the Rain village, and then a team from Kusagakure. As the saying goes, when it rains it pours, and the team began to find new ninja at an increasingly quick pace. There was another two teams from Rain, plus at least three more from Grass. Suna, which was named after the desert sands that hid the bustling village, had sent just one team, which the three spies in training though weird, especially the birth that two of the members were giving the third.

This boy was a red head, and had dark black rings around his teal hued eyes. He just stood in the middle of his team, his arms crossed, never closing his eyes, just staring at the assembled ninja that were huddled about.

Hinata had been watching different targets of interest with her byakugan, making mental notes on what she found. Shino was doing much the same thing, but his notes were more focused on their words, as his kikaichu were better suited for the task than the twins were. Haran had been standing in front of his two teammates, screening interested eyes away from the two doing the spying, and onto himself. That was until Hinata tapped his back, the signal that she found someone or something very interesting.

Pushing just enough chakra to his eyes to activate his eyes, Haran’s eyes fell upon the Sand team, and began to analyze the situation. The boy to the right of the formation was wearing a black jump suit and seemed to have cat ears sewn onto the hood that covered his hair completely. There was a suspicious bundle on his back that turned out to be a puppet of, what to Haran at least, was high quality.

The kunoichi to the left of the group had her hair in four small pig tails that spiked her hair back. She wore fairly standard garb for someone from Suna, meaning a loose, lightly colored kimono that seemed suited for battle. She had a large metal fan strapped to her back and eyes that were constantly sweeping over the competition.

“You’re right, they’re all wrong for this exam.” He spoke softly, so as not to be overheard, but made sure that his sister’s suspicions were confirmed. “The puppet user is way out of his element, not enough cover indoors, and the one place we know for sure that will be used, the arena, is almost as barren. As for the fan girl…wow I never thought I’d say that about someone and mean it in a nice way…anyway, the chances that we’ll go into a heavily wooded area are pretty high, so she’s out of her element as well. Too much cover for anyone she’d fight. Makes you wonder about the third one then, doesn’t it?”

Turning his gaze back to the silent red head, Haran’s gaze became more focused, trying to see into the very depths of the boy’s soul. Upon a closer inspection, Haran found that the boy had golden colored chakra, where most people had blue. This was cause for concern, mostly because of his own experience in attempting to use the Kyuubi’s chakra. He had little success, but according to Hinata, when he tried, there would be an influx of red chakra into his system from his navel. Haran hoped that he was just being paranoid, but he was beginning to suspect that one of his fellow competitors was a jinchuriki just like him. He let his feeling known to his teammates, with the explicit direction that they should avoid the Sand team if possible.

More and more teams began to walk into the room, until it was packed full of teams from all over the shinobi continent. Haran eyed one of the many teams from Konoha that were much older than his group. Either this test was extremely hard, or these ninja just didn’t have the right stuff. There were only a few teams of interest; most of them were on the young side. It made sense because the more distant villages would only send their best teams, ones that had experience, but were young and quick. Out of the side of his vision, Haran noticed the other sponsored rookie team walk into the room. They were keeping mostly to themselves, but were slowly moving towards team eight.

“So you guys were nominated also? This is a pretty big crowd don’t you think?” Chouji was the one to approach the much quieter team first.

“Yeah, well that just means more people for me to beat!” Haran had to delve into his Naruto mask, although he still hated doing so. He had hopes, rather high ones, that by the end of this chuunin exam he could come out of his shell and finally be with his family.

After a few minutes of talking and eying the crowds of ninja, there was a loud commotion as team seven entered the room. This was caused by Sakura who was up in arms that some ‘weird kid in green beat up her Sasuke-kun’. An older Konoha genin with grey hair approached the shrieking girl and her team, in an effort to quiet them down. He pulled out a deck of cards, which seemed to catch the attention of the team. Hinata caught the eyes of her teammates and both nodded, before moving to see what was so interesting. Team ten, having nothing better to do, decided to follow them.

“-anyone you were interested in?” The older boy was asking about other people

“Yeah, Sabaku no Gaara, Rock Lee, Aburame Shino, Hyuuga Hinata and Uzumaki Naruto.” Sasuke spoke up with an actual hint of interest in his voice.

“Oh, you have names that makes things easier, do you mind me asking why so many names though?”

The last three are teammates; they had a mission that interfered with ours a while back.” This time it was Ino who supplied the answer to the question, but she had one more of her own. “Can you find people if I only know their first name?”

“I suppose, of course the more popular names might take a while to get through. Who did you want to know about?”

“His name’s Haran, but I don’t know his last name.” She answered, a blush slightly marring her cheeks, which the grey haired kid noticed but didn’t comment on. Sakura now grew interested upon hearing Ino ask about a boy.

Five cards which were already splayed over the floor were joined by one more, but they were all blank. Noticing the stares, the boy quickly explained that the cards were inscribed with his own chakra, so as to be readable by only him. With a slight touch, the information spread over the cards like ice over a pond.

“Sabaku no Gaara, he is the son of the current Kazekage and his teammates are his siblings. He hasn’t done a single D-rank mission, but he’s done a few C rank missions as well as a B and even an A rank mission. The amazing thing is that he hasn’t been injured on these missions, not even a scratch!”

Sasuke nodded as if expecting such unusual information.

“Rock Lee, he’s a year older than you guys, but has no ability to use ninjutsu or genjutsu, but his taijutsu is absolutely off the charts! He’s probably more advanced than most chuunin because that’s all he can use. His teammates are Hyuuga Neji, the previous year’s top student, and Tenten.” Once again, Sasuke looked nonplused.

“Aburame Shino, Hyuuga Hinata and Uzumaki Naruto…well, their squad is supposed to be a reconnaissance specialized squad, and they also seem to have a taijutsu heavy group, with an Aburame and a Hyuuga. Shino was the second ranked ninja in your class, and Hinata is the Hyuuga heiress as well as top kunoichi. Naruto doesn’t seem to be remarkable outside of the fact that he’s on their team, yet doesn’t seem to have any spying skills. They’ve done very few D-rank missions, but they have two C-rank and even an A rank!” This time, Sasuke just stared at the cards, willing them to burst to flame and erase any evidence of their superiority to him.

“Well, I don’t have much on this Haran of yours, and what I’ve got is really old.” This time, it was Haran and Hinata that seemed to become interested, although they were good enough to hide it. “There was a Hyuuga Haran born twelve years ago, the night of the Kyuubi attack, but the reports say that he died shortly afterwards.”

“What’s with all these Hyuuga’s anyway?” Sakura asked, eying Hinata from her position in the group.

“The Hyuuga are one of, if not the most, influential group in Konoha. They are famous for their taijutsu style, the jyuken, as well as the byakugan.” The older kid filled the pink kunoichi in.

“So they must be a pretty big clan if they’re that powerful.” Ino surmised.

“That’s right; they are quite large, though it is the Branch family that makes up most of the population. The branch family guards the main family with their lives. With such a big clan, it’s really interesting, that the two Hyuuga entering this exam are actually cousins.”

This got Hinata many more stares from her former classmates. They were about to ask a question, when the still unknown boy spoke up again.

“…and it gets better, that Haran that you asked about, he was Hinata’s twin brother, so I guess there could’ve been three Hyuuga in this exam.”

At this, the stared grew even stronger, and Hinata ‘broke down crying’.

“Thanks a bunch, you jack ass! She doesn’t like to talk about her brother!” Naruto yelled, as Shino actually glared at the older boy. The two lead their female teammate away from the assembled group, having gotten all of the information they wanted.

A short while later, the proctor for the first exam entered the room in a puff of smoke. Morino Ibiki was a large muscular man who had a taste for black clothing.

“Alright you maggots, I’m Morino Ibiki, and I’m the proctor for this first part of your exam. You’ve all been assigned seats and you have about…thirty seconds left to find them. Anyone who is sitting in an incorrect seat will automatically fail, along with their teammates!”

Thus, a mad rush to find the correct seats began, with more than a few teams failing to make it to their assigned seats.

“The first exam will be a paper test consisting of ten questions. You start the exam with ten points out of ten, but for each question you miss, one point will be subtracted from your total score. If you are caught cheating in any way, two points will be subtracted from your score. This is a team exam, so if one of you fail, your entire team will fail. Each team member must have at least one point for their test, if any one of your team member’s test reaches zero points, you all fail. As a team, you must receive a total score of at least seventy-five percent or better. You will have forty-five minutes to answer the first nine questions. When that time is up, I will give you the tenth question, and once the remaining time has elapsed, we will grade the tests.”

Ibiki signaled to the chuunin that were sitting in on the exam to hand out the exams. Once that was finished, Ibiki took another look over the crowd and after determining that they were sufficiently worried, began the exam.

Haran looked at his test, and quickly realized that the questions were too hard for a genin to answer, but something was still off. He had realized that the purpose of the exam was to cheat in a way that wouldn’t be caught, but for an exam that was supposed to fool a sannin…something was lacking. He activated his byakugan and looked around to try and find someone with answers. To his surprise there were three genin scribbling furiously on their papers, each was far ahead of any one else in the room, so he assumed they were planted to provide the answers. However, as he looked over their answers, he realized why this test would be harder than originally thought. Each ‘genin’ was writing different answers! That meant that there might be only one with the right answers, or maybe each was righting down a couple of the correct answers…or maybe, they were all wrong and the plants were there to deceive the actual teams. The number of possibilities began to weigh on his mind, and he felt a headache coming on.

This wasn’t just a test of a team’s ability to gather information; it was also a test of their ability to determine what good data was. That meant that they weren’t joking when they said they would be grading the exams at the end. Haran smirked, for his team, this would be a cinch.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Team after team began to drop out, until over three quarters of the total had been eliminated, and it had only been thirty minutes! Time kept marching on, and more teams were eliminated, until the magical forty-five minute mark was hit.

“It’s time for the tenth question.” Ibiki’s voice rang out over the room; gather the attention of every remaining team. “The tenth question is one of trust and guts. If you feel you are up to the challenge of the question, you may remain, but if you miss the question, not only will your points be immediately reduced to zero, thus failing you and your team; you will be forever banned from taking the chuunin exam again…as long as you live. If you aren’t up to the task, you may quit, costing your team the chance to advance further in this exam, but you will retain the ability to take this exam again. So the choice is between letting your team down or staying genin forever.”

The announcement was met with many different voices of outrage and even those that didn’t raise their voices were staring in disbelief.

‘There’s no way he’s serious…is there?’ Hinata was beginning to worry about this new twist. She was sure that her team had the correct answers; she had been watching her brother and Shino gather their information as they had done many times before, but with the new twist…

By the time she had finished her thought, six of the remaining sixteen teams had quit, drastically reducing their numbers even further. Eventually there reached a point where it looked as if no one else would raise their hand. Ibiki took one more look over the room before ordering the chuunin watchers to collect and grade the papers.

“That was the tenth question. By deciding to stay you have demonstrated that you are confident in both your own ability as well as your teams. This is especially important on missions that a chuunin will be asked to undertake. While a chuunin is a squad leader, if he or she cannot trust their team, then the mission will be a failure.” His speech was punctuated by a handful of kunai thudding into the wooden desks of various teams.

“These kunai don’t just represent the end of your exams, they signify the end of your life. You haven’t been able to locate good information and have just cost your teammates their lives. In this world of ours, information is as valuable as gold. Good information is the difference between life and death, success or failure.” The teams that had failed marched out of the room leaving only those who truly had the skills of a chuunin behind to face the second exam.