TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Lesson In Romantics by xXxTiNkxXx

[Reviews - 8]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Well hello there everyone! For anyone that has read my story, Reverse This Curse, this is a one-shot based on an interaction between my OC Rayne and Izumo in Chapter 3, "Walk."

Even if you haven't read RTC, the basic premise of this one-shot is Rayne asks Izumo out to dinner one evening after work. When I posted the chapter I decided to leave the date out because I didn't find it terribly important to the plot line. After mulling it over for quite some time, I finally decided that I would write a one-shot about their date. It has taken me far longer than it should have to post this (as usual), but this is it, in all it's glory!

Not to spoil anything, but my one warning for the story is sexual themes. I hope you aren't too surprised.. (;

ONE SHOT
Rayne x Izumo
A Lesson In Romantics

Champagne's For Celebrating (I'll Have A Martini) by Mayday Parade
So why'd you have to go?
Is there something I could say to make you turn around?
'Cause nights like these I wish I'd said don't go
Is there anybody there?
Can anybody help me get out of here?
'Cause you're walking down a road that I can't go

Word Length: 25 Word Doc. Pages // 9,000 Words
Artwork done by me c:
‘Should I wait outside or should I wait inside?’

*It doesn't matter where you wait.*

‘Yes it does! If I wait outside, he might be discouraged when he leaves the office and doesn't see me. Then, when he walks out the door, I’ll be standing here, and he’ll have a big smile on his face! If I wait inside, I don’t know if he’d be comfortable greeting me in front of anyone he knows, you know? He might not want them to know he’s going out with someone…’

*It bewilders me that you have no regard for yourself. You just walked the streets of the village, totally oblivious to the people that stared at you because you were too busy thinking about Izumo.*

’18:58:53… It’s already 6:59, he’s going to be out any minute.’

*And you just proved my point.*


Rayne stomped her foot on the cement pathway leading to the door of the hokage’s tower. ’Rokobi! Don’t be in my head tonight! I’m nervous as it is and if you distract me while I’m out with him-‘

*Nervous? You’re the one who confidently asked him out earlier today.*

‘I was nervous then, too! You didn’t feel the knot in my stomach?’

*So…is it a date or is it a ‘social dinner between two-*

‘Shut up.’
Rayne crossed her arms as she turned her body away from the door. There was no way she was going to walk in there and wait for Izumo with some stupid, hopeful expression on her face. She would wait outside for him, cool, calm, and collected while leaning against the wall fencing the tower in. Cool, calm, and collected. Cool, calm, and collected. Cool, calm, and collected… What if he didn’t get out on time? What if he has paper work to do? She was just going to be standing out there waiting for whoever knows how long. Wouldn’t that look strange? Maybe she should go inside… But what if she waited inside for a long period of time? What if someone asked her if she needed help? Or if she was looking for someone? Or, hey, weren’t you that girl that got killed three years ago? What are you doing walking around the village? Are you someone disguising yourself as her?

No. No, no, no. Rayne shook her head, her palms lightly smacking her cheeks. She was getting herself worked up, and if her thoughts kept running wild, she’d only end up embarrassing herself. She had to stay cool, calm, and collected. Cool, calm, and collected. Cool, calm, and-

“Well look who we have here.” Rayne wasn’t sure what noise she made, but it was something along the lines of a jump-scare gasp, and the noise she’d imagine a mouse getting stepped on would make. Her heart leapt out of her chest as she turned her head to see Izumo standing at her side, a smile across his face as he stood with his hands in his pockets. While her heart pound in her ears, Rayne could hear the subdued laughs of Rokobi mixed in.

“H-hey,” She started a bit shaky. “How was your shift?” Small talk. That was a good start, right? That’s how people normally asked each other before they were hanging out…or…going on a date.

“It was actually quite a dull day until a certain someone showed up, stormed into the elders office, and caused a scene. I had to write a whole report because of this trouble maker.”

Rayne’s face flushed a deep crimson. Even though she knew Izumo was just poking fun at her, she hadn’t thought at the time that he may suffer consequences for being the one to escort her to see Danzo. Rayne’s eyes fell to the right of her face. “Sorry, I didn’t really think anything of what would happen after I did that. You didn’t get written up or anything, did you?”

“No, not at all. Don’t take it personally, I wasn’t trying to make you feel bad; I was only joking about the situation.” Rayne’s gaze returned to him, watching as he bend his head forward in order to untie the knot of his bandana behind his neck. As it fell lose, Izumo ran his hand through his messy hair, shaking it and scratching his scalp before he looked up at Rayne through his bangs. “So, hungry?”

Rayne bit her lip, suppressing the tea pot boiling squeal she had desperately wanted to keep from coming out. Honestly, how could one person have this much sex appeal?

“I am very hungry.” For you. Now Rayne had to suppress the giggle that swelled inside her at her own thoughts. Apparently she wasn’t doing well, because Izumo saw the smirk on her face.

“What’s so funny?” He grinned at her curiously.

“Nothing, just a stupid joke I made in my head.”

“Come on, tell me.”

“No, no, it’s stupid!” Rayne laughed out loud.

“Tell me!” Izumo laughed through his words, a big smile on his face.

What was Rayne doing to herself? It wasn’t even five minutes in and she was already melting like ice cream on a hot July afternoon in Kumogakure. “Alright, alright… When you asked if I was hungry, in my head I said, ‘I am very hungry, for you.’”

Izumo gave one hard laugh, and Rayne wondered if he was humoring her for making such a stupid joke. But, when his hand fell on her shoulder, and he stepped in front of her, looking down at her with his deep onyx, Rayne couldn’t guess what he was thinking. “Tell me what you don’t like. Ramen, teriyaki, stir fry, hibachi, seafood-“

“Seafood, hate it. Love teriyaki, though. Chicken teriyaki is my favorite.”

“Great! I know the perfect place to take you, come on.” Izumo walked to the left, away from the tower. “There’s a barbecue place that’s just a little ways away.”

“The one by the Academy?”

“No, actually, it’s further away by the memorial, which is also closer to my house. It’s called Gyu-Kaku.”

“Gyu-Kaku…hm, never heard of it.”

“Perfect, a place you’ve never been.” Izumo grinned at her once more. As the pair walked through the village streets, lanterns began to light their path, the sun setting on the village. Even though Rokobi had warned her about people giving her funny looks since she was supposed to be dead, Rayne didn’t notice many people looking her way.

“I know the village was destroyed when Pein attacked, but it seems to be doing very well through its rebuild.” Rayne tried to think of anything to break their silence. She didn’t want to go through the whole “lets rediscover each other” conversation, as she knew that would come while they were seated, face to face at the dinner table.

“The village certainly isn’t one hundred percent, but it has come a long way in the short time since the attack, and now. The villagers stepped up to help, and I actually did quite a lot of rebuilding myself. There were days where I didn’t have to report to the hokage’s office.”

“Sounds like a nice break.”

“It was, actually.” Izumo grinned. “To get out and help others directly in a way I usually can’t was very fulfilling.” Rayne smiled in return, then looked away shyly as Izumo waved to someone he knew in passing. Were any of his friends going to ask who she was after today?

“Rayne, may I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

“I hope I don’t come off as rude, but…your attire, it’s quite…flashy, to say the least.”

Rayne stared at him with a blank expression, then a smirk. “What, you don’t like seeing so much skin?” Izumo caught himself, going through several facial expressions as he tried to think of a reply. “I’m part of the special operatives unit back in Kumogakure, and there’s some standard attire, including variations of this vest. Other than that, you stick to the red-black-white color scheme. It’s a lot more humid in Kumogakure because of the air and clouds surrounding our villages, so I wear less clothing because it’s comfortable. Though I will admit, I do stand out now that I’m in Konoha…”

“I didn’t mean to offend you, I understand your reasoning behind the outfit.” Izumo’s voice shook as he tried to climb out of the hole he thought he dug. “My main reason for asking is you are basically wearing nothing but a cut off tank top and very, very short spandex shorts. It’s…well, I can’t really think of the proper word-“

“You can just say I look like I belong in the red light district.” Rayne said sarcastically, Izumo smiling in return, his deep grin hinting at small dimples in his cheeks.

“Alright then. I personally think you should wear something a little more modest.”

“Thanks, dad.”

“Keep the shorts, though.”

Rayne giggled, smacking Izumo’s arm lightly. “I take it you’re an ass man, then.”

“Aren’t you?”

Rayne laughed harder, her hand lightly touching her stomach. “I didn’t expect to find that out tonight.”

“We have plenty to learn about each other tonight.” His deep voice went through Rayne like a subwoofer pumping loud music. Oh, the shameful thoughts she had.

“You said you’re in the special operatives unit, is that similar to ANBU?”

Rayne nodded her head. “I take it you already know that Kumo doesn’t have an ANBU force. I figure it was Kumo’s own way of being rebellious toward the other lands, to ditch the idea of having an ANBU force and creating its own team. We are very similar; we’re spies, assasins, double agents…you can go from there.”

Izumo nodded in response. “Interesting. Ah, the barbque is right here, to the left.”

Pulling aside the curtain for Rayne to step in, Izumo followed behind her into a standard restaurant; the host desk right in front, kitchen at the back, and seating lining the walls. While Izumo had said this was a barbecue, this was the fanciest barbecue Rayne had seen. Chandeleirs on the ceiling, polished hardwood tables, an open fire pit on the table for you to barbeque on. The seats even had plush linens on them for you to sit.

“A table for two, please.”

’And what is that? Are there candles on these tables?’ Rayne was beside herself. This really wasn’t just a dinner, this was a date!

“Follow me, please.” The small hostess bowed before them as she walked them to their table. Back right wall, third table from the corner, no one in front of, or in back of them. Rayne bounced on the seat as she sat down on it, her hands sliding over the polished wood table. Looking up at Izumo, he appeared delighted at her impression of the restaurant.

“I had no idea we’d be going somewhere like this. If I knew, I would have definitely changed into something more suitable…” Rayne felt her cheeks redden as her self conciousness told her everyone was judging her. Not only was she with Izumo, but she was at a gorgeous restaurant with Izumo; she could have looked one hundred times better than she did currently.

“Don’t over think, it isn’t like I’m dressed to impress myself.” Izumo shrugged while motioning to his attire. Rayne slouched forward, her face in her hands.

“Yeah, but I look like a hooker you picked up in an alley way with the way I’m dressed in comparison to you. Not only am I dressed this way, but I’m noticably younger than you, so it definitely looks like-“

“Rayne.” Izumo’s strong fingers pulled hers into his palm, his thumb running over her knuckles. “Don’t over think. We’re here for each other, not for anyone else.”

Her face flushed fifty shades of red, and Rayne pulled her fingers from Izumo’s hand. Nodding while chanting “okay” repeatedly, Rayne opened her menu, raising it to cover her cherry complection.

*You are smoooooooooth~*

‘Don’t start.’

*You couldn’t make it any more obvious that you like him as much as you do.*

‘I’m pretty sure he knew that already.”

*Don’t you want to impress him with your maturity for your age? You can’t control your feelings with Izumo, how can you expect to face Sasuke?*


Sasuke.

Rayne felt like the entire hokage monument had come crashing down on top of her forehead. Sasuke was the last person she wanted to think about, and Rokobi just had to bring him up.

“Do you see anything you like?” Izumo’s voice came from the other side of Rayne’s menu. Browsing through the selections, Rayne’s eyes lit up when she read that there was teriyaki chicken on the menu, aside from the course menus for two, which included pork, chicken, beef, and vegetables together.

“I said I liked teriyaki chicken and you delivered.” Rayne gave Izumo a smile from across the table, which he returned.

“I told you this would be perfect. Would you be interested in splitting a course with me as well? We could order the chicken on the side.”

Before Rayne could respond, their waitress interjected with napkins, breaking her eye contact with Izumo. “Good evening, my name is Makato and I will be taking care of you. May I start you with a drink?”

“We’ll have two waters and a small bottle of Sho-Une sake, please.” Rokobi had to force Rayne’s jaw to stay shut as Izumo ordered them an expensive, high alcohol content sake for their dinner. Expensive sake as well as an expensive dinner? He didn’t have to treat her to something to high calibur, she would have been happy sitting at Ichiraku with him.

“Certainly.” Makoto bowed to them, shuffling away backward towards the bar that was behind Izumo, who was merely smirking at the surprise in Rayne’s eyes. “As I was saying-“

“Izumo, please let me pay for my half of the meal. I don’t want you spending a lot of mon-“ As tired as she was of being interrupted while talking, Rayne didn’t mind much when Izumo’s right index finger pressed against her lips quieting her.

“I told you, I don’t go out with women unless they’re dates… And not only is this a date, but it’s a celebration; a celebration of your life, as well as a celebration that I had the chance to take you out.”

Rayne’s body and mind went numb, probably from the degree in which she was blushing. By the end of the night, she was sure the blood vessels and nerve endings in her face would never work again. While Izumo returned to explaining the course menu to her, Rayne heard nothing more than her heart beat in her ears.

Maybe she hadn’t woken up this morning. It was quite possible that Rayne was still in her bed back in Kumogakure, sleeping through the alarm she had set to wake up, because there was no way in hell she was experiencing something girls only get in fairy tales and story books. If Rayne had to describe Izumo in one word, it would be impossible. How could someone human be so extroardinary? Where were his faults? A flawless face and a flawless heart were a near impossible combination. Possibly even more unbelievable was the fact that Rayne was the girl, no, woman that he was spending an evening with. Izumo had called her a woman because he saw her and felt for her as such.

*How can Sasuke compete with this, honestly.* Rokobi hummed quietly. *Are you willing to sacrifice this for someone who is nothing more than a stranger to you?*

“So, what will it be? The Kobe, or the Matsu… Rayne, is everything alright?” The sudden shake in Izumo’s voice caused Rayne to blink, allowing the tears she had welling in the corners of her eyes to fall down her cheeks.

“I’m just…so happy!” A chuckle and smile followed as Rayne shifted in her chair, nerves shaking her to the core. “I can’t stop shaking because I’m excited. I’m aware of every nerve in my body at this moment because I’m sitting across from you like this. Forgive me if I worried you, but I assure you I’m perfectly, no… I’m more than okay.”

“I’m relieved.” Izumo sighed, high left brow raising in a twitch as he smiled.

“The Kobe course.”

His face dropped. “Are you picking that because it’s the least expensive of the two?”

“…No.”

“Rayne.”

“Pardon me, here is your water and Sho-Une.” Makoto returned with their beverages, both watching as she served their warm sake for them. “Have you decided on your order?”

“Yes. We’ll have the Matsuri course, with a side order of teriyaki chicken as well.”

“Certainly. Excuse me.”

Once Makoto was out of ears length, Rayne gave Izumo a side eyed glare. “You ordered the Matsuri course just to spite me, didn’t you?”

“I already told you, we’re celebrating. This may be the only night we’ll ever have together, and I want it to be memorable.” Well, that sounded slightly depressing. Izumo knew Rayne was going after Sasuke, so he was surely referring to him.

“I digress. I appreciate your treat and I will be sure to drink and eat until I throw it all up.” Rayne bowed to mock him, trying to lighten her own thoughts.

“I’ll be sure to hold your hair back. Now…” Sliding Rayne’s small sake cup toward her, Izumo took up his own in a cheering gesture. “Want to make a toast?”

“Sure.” Rayne took up the cup, clinking the rim against his. “To tonight.”

As Izumo hesitated, she knew she had caught him off guard somehow, which made her happy. A short, sweet toast, but a toast that let him know where her mind was, on him. “To tonight.”

Swiging the sake back, Rayne immediately made noises of discomfort as she reached for the bottle, searching for the alcohol content. “15.5%? That was like fire! Dry fire!”

“Delicious fire.” Izumo grasped the bottle from her hand, pouring out more. “I take it you don’t drink much.”

“I’m sixteen, of course I don’t drink much.”

“Ah, don’t give me that. Teenagers always find their way to alcohol if they want it.”

“Just because you did, doesn’t mean I do.” Again, Rayne raised the cup of sake before her. “Care to make a toast?”

Izumo’s brows jumped quickly. “To us.”

A warm sensation burned through Rayne’s lower body, something different than what she felt in her abdomen from the sake. “To tonight and to us, hm?” That sounded promising. With another sip, Rayne’s taste buds began to accommodate to the dry sake.

“Smoother this time?” Rayne nodded in response. “Just to be clear, I hope you don’t think I’m trying to make you drunk, because I’m not. Sake is just-“

“Celebratory, I know.” Rayne waved her hand at him as though she were swatting away his words. “Besides, you wouldn’t even need me drunk.”

And with those words, Kamizuki Izumo choked on his water, to which Rayne laughed, much to the concern of other patrons in the restaurant. “Low blow.”

“Hey, if you want a low blow, I already told you-“

Rayne!” Surely her laughter was infuriatingly loud, but Rayne didn’t care much. She was too busy holding her stomach laughing at Izumo’s reaction to her words. If she was going to be this quick with her jokes, she was going to lose her voice laughing at Izumo’s expense.

“Here I thought it was bold of you to ask me out, and now you start with these sexual innuendos. I might need more sake.” Izumo reached for the bottle once more.

“Uh oh, be careful now. You wouldn’t want me to take advantage of you when you pass out.”

“First of all, my alcohol tolerance isn’t that low. Second…” Hesitating for the second time this evening, Izumo looked up at Rayne as though he were an academy student preparing to ask his sensei a question… “Second, you wouldn’t be taking advantage of me.”

Ooooooooooooooooohhhh! So it’s like that!” Rayne whispered her coo as quietly as she could without laughing, but the smile and giggles from her nerves made it near impossible.

“I told you, we have a lot to learn about each other tonight.” Placing the cup before him, Izumo made direct eye contact with Rayne, shaking her to the bone. Suddenly, she felt like she was in danger. Not being taken advantage of danger, but danger in a sense of she wasn’t sure what she was doing. Rayne hadn’t ever spoken sexually to anyone, ever. Even though she entertained sexual thoughts in her mind while going through puberty, never had Rayne acted upon them. Let alone sexual advances, she still hadn’t ever open mouthed kissed someone. Kissing was certainly childs play to Izumo, he was a grown man. While he may have matched Rayne to himself by calling her a woman, she certainly was still a child in that aspect.

“There you go with your thinking face again.”

Pulled from her thoughts, Rayne rose an eyebrow to him. “Thinking face? How so?”

“You just look very concerned. You told me you were more than okay, but are you sure nothing is discomforting you?”

She shook her head. “I told you, I’m just nervous is all. I’m overthinking some things in my head.”

“Such as?”

“Er, you don’t want to hear those thoughts.”

“What type of thoughts?”

“They aren’t really important, they’re just circulating in my head even though I keep pushing them away.” Glancing at the sake bottle, Rayne took a hold of it, graciously pouring herself and Izumo another cup to the brim.

“I hope I don’t cross the line here, but are you thinking about Sasuke?” Rayne felt herself shake as she almost over-poured the sake. Her eyes darted upwards to Izumo, who looked nothing more than innocently concerned. “I’m not trying to pry. If the subject will make you upset, let’s put it past us.” Us.

Rayne slid Izumo’s filled sake cup towards his open hand while raising hers. “To us.”

“To us.”

From that moment on, the dinner conversation was light hearted small talk. But, rather than being lackluster, Rayne was consumed by it, paying close attention to what Izumo was sharing with her. His favorite color was green, and his favorite color combination was orange and red. While he loved barbeque, he preferred eating fruits, his favorite being grapefruit. He was disgusted by Kotetsu’s obsession with syrup, yet he bribed him with it in order to make him clean the apartment. His favorite season was fall, and the best place to look over Konoha to see all the leaves changing color was the top of the hokage tower after work. And as he shared all of this with her, Rayne realized that she never really shared anything with Sasuke at all.

“Haven’t had too much to drink, have you?” Izumo teased as Rayne lost her balance while avoiding bumping shoulders with a customer walking into Gyu-Kaku, instead bumping into Izumo.

“Please.” Rayne brushed off his mockery. “I know I can’t handle a lot of alcohol, but that small amount of sake can’t take me down.”

“I’ll take your word for it.”

The village streets weren’t crowded, but the shadows cast down from lights that lined store fronts made them feel populated. Rayne wondered if anyone was watching them, but no one was. Each face they passed was ignorant to the face she Izumo were returning to his apartment-together. Rayne’s plan was to sneak into Naruto’s apartment and stay the night, but Izumo found the idea ridiculous. Rayne tried to dismiss him by showing concern for Kotetsu’s opinion, however Izumo insisted, and now she was walking at his side while he led her to his home.

Reality slowed down and sped up at the same time, and Rayne was confused as she arrived at Izumo’s front door.

“The porch light isn’t on, so Kotetsu is probably still out.” Izumo announced while sliding his key into the doorknob.

“Did you tell him we were going out?”

“Of course.” Turning and pushing the knob open, Izumo welcomed Rayne to his foyer. “But I’m surprised he’s still out at this time. Anyway, welcome to our apartment. You can leave your sandals right there. Do you want anything to drink?”

Izumo flipped his sandals off effortlessly because he had done it hundreds of times. Rayne, however, was struggling to lean against the thin doorway while unzipping her boots, shimmying them off of her legs into a lump on the floor. Kicking them to the side, she walked toward the room where Izumo disappeared, probably the kitchen. As she stepped into the main body of the house, the dining area was to her left with a dark tatami table, the kitchen across from this was to her right. Straight ahead was a couch with its back facing her, the front pointed to a medium sided television on the wall. To the left of the bookcase beside the television was another hallway, leading to what Rayne assumed were the bedrooms.

“I’d offer you a tour, but this is pretty much the apartment in its glory.” Rayne turned to Izumo, smiling as he handed her a cup of water.

“Well it doesn’t have to be a mansion. It’s just enough for you guys, right?”

“Yeah, and we aren’t home that often, anyway. There are a lot of late nights at the office, then we’ll come home, sleep for five hours, and be back to work.”

“You’re such an adult. Ew.”

“I know.” Izumo chuckled from deep within, his white teeth shadowed by his grinning lips, causing Rayne to blush. “It’s only going on ten thirty, but are you tired at all? I know you traveled from Kumogakure today.”

As much as she didn’t want to be sleepy, she was. Traveling that many miles in just a few hours wasn’t easy, even while tapping into Rokobi’s chakra. Rayne didn’t want to sleep yet, not when she had Izumo all to herself for what would probably be the only time, but he was probably asking because he was tired. Reluctantly, Rayne confessed to being more than ready to lay down.

“The bedrooms are right over here.” Izumo led her past the body of the house, down the hallway to the left. “The bathroom is straight ahead, and this is the closet with the towels. Kotetsu’s room is to the left side, and mine…” Pushing the door open, Izumo stepped to its side and allowed Rayne to walk in. The walls were a cream color, contrasting his oak furniture and green/brown bed sheets. His room was small, but it had all the essentials; bed, closet, door, dresser, filing cabinet, desk, mirror, potted plants for decoration.

“It’s very masculine, if I had to put it in words. Very neat…homey.”

“I’m glad you like it, because you can sleep in here tonight. The bed and pillows are firm, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Wait, where are you going to sleep?”

Izumo walked past her, pulling the covers down on the bed. “I’m going to take the livingroom couch.”

“What? No! I’ll take the couch, it’s fine.”

“Rayne, you’re my guest. This might be the last night you can spend in a bed for who knows how long.”

“Izumo, seriously. I appreciate your hospitality, I do, but this is so unplanned, I’m basically intruding. Let me take the couch.”

“I’m not going to let you take the couch.”

Rayne stared at him, her eyes narrowing to a glare. He didn’t have to let her do anything, that couch was hers. Turning on her heel, Rayne swung around the doorframe, making a run for the living room couch. Behind her, Izumno’s larger footsteps could be heard closing in as she closed in on the suade couch. As Rayne moved around the end table to avoid knocking over the lamp, she was tackled like a quarterback by Izumo, tripping over each others legs and landing on the floor with a loud thunk. For a moment, Rayne had a flashback to being Naruto three years ago, and she was suddenly overcome by sadness.

“Nice try.” Izumo was on top of her, arms beneath her and wrapped around her waist.

“Why can’t you just let me sleep on the couch?” Rayne tried to shout at him, but it was hard to do when the right side of her face was pressed into the hardwood floor.

“Why can’t you just sleep in my bed?”

“I don’t want your cooties.” Rayne was sure Izumo laughed harder than he ever had in his life once she said that. In fact, he was laughing so hard that he stopped laughing. No noise came out, his body was just shaking as he held his stomach, tears forming at the corners of his closed eyes. Rayne was embarrassed by how much he knew she was lying, and her blush extended from her face all the way to her toes. Crawling out from underneath him, Rayne stood up and turned to him, only to walk into his shoulder and be hoisted over his side. “Hey!”

“If you’re going to make me forcefully take you to bed, you leave me no choice.”

“Here we go with you being forceful again. Remember the time you lifted me up this way and brought me to Tsunade’s office?”

“You didn’t mind because my behind was in your face.”

Rayne snort-laughed. “Your behind? You can just say ass.”

Returning her laugh, Izumo corrected himself as he once again walked through the doorway to his bedroom. Gently laying Rayne’s back on the edge of the bed, Izumo hung above her for a moment, his right arm wrapped around her waist. “Do you want to take a shower?”

“Is that an invitation?”

Izumo released her as he laughed, backing away and opening up his dresser drawer. “I was intending on taking one, but if you wanted to, I would let you go first.”

“No, thank you. I prefer to take showers in the morning.”

“Sure.” Pulling out a grey long sleeved shirt, Izumo handed it over to Rayne. “You can sleep in this tonight. I’m going to hop in the shower, I’ll be done in, like, ten minutes. Let me know if you think you need anything.”

Rayne nodded as she watched him walk out of the door, gently shutting it behind him. Letting out a huge sigh, Rayne fell backward on the bed, staring up at the ceiling as her heart raced. Suddenly, reality was smacking her across the face. If she was ever going to have a chance of doing anything with Izumo, at least just kissing the man, it was now. But what if she was reading him completely wrong? Izumo was a genuine sweetheart, his actions didn’t necessarily mean that he had a thing for her. Besides, how much older than Rayne was he? Not that she believed age truly mattered; when you’re a ninja, you’re basically an adult when youre eight years old.

*Hey, if you don’t calm down you’re going to send a surge through your body and your hair is going to be even more staticy.* Rokobi hummed from within her.

’Rokobi, what do I dooooooooo?’

*Rayne, I’m a weasel, I can’t help you.*

‘A spiritual weasel! You should have some insight on this. Some wisdom about being interested in people out of your reach, older men are bad for you, something!’

*You’re working yourself up.*

‘I’m in Kamizuki Izumo’s bed. Kamizuki. Izumo. I am in a mans bed. This is totally different from when I slept with Sasuke.’

*You aren’t sleeping with Izumo, he’s sleeping on the couch.*


Rayne momentarily fell silent.

*Are you getting any ideas?*

‘Do you think he’d sleep with me?’

*SAYOMI RAYNE.*

‘Hey! This is my once in a lifetime chance of at least trying to get somewhere with Izumo.’

*It isn’t like you’re going to stay in the village and be his girlfriend. Do you really think you should play around?*

‘There we go…that’s the wisdom I was looking for.’

*…Though if you were choosing between Sasuke and Izumo…*

‘I know, I know. Izumo.’
Rayne stood up, unbuttoning her vest and taking her clothes off to change into the pajama shirt he had provided her to sleep in. She could hear the water running to the right of her in the bathroom. How long was ten minutes? Wow, this shirt was comfortable. Long enough to reach past her butt, Rayne slid off her shorts, neatly folding them on top of the dresser with the rest of her clothes. Crawling back into bed, Rayne laid flat, her back popping once as the mattress made a mold of her body.

Maybe if she said she didn’t want to be alone Izumo would cuddle with her. Something about missing home, or missing Naruto, she didn’t want to mention Sasuke. Sasuke was the last person she wanted on her mind right now, she’d worry about him tomorrow. But at the same token, Rokobi was right. Should she really be playing around? What if her asking Izumo to stay in bed with her totally backfired, and they weren’t the same around one another? Or what if it didn’t, and she led him on? But, really, Izumo knew she was leaving, and he knew she was leaving for Sasuke. He was old enough to not allow himself to be played like that, let alone by a sixteen year old. And that was it, she was sixteen, she was a baby. Maybe he was this nice to her and let her flirt with him because he found her crush on him hilarious. When Rayne thought about how hard he had laughed at her before, she turned red, smacking herself lightly on the cheeks.

The shower water fell silent, and Rayne’s grey eyes shifted quickly to the bedroom door. It had already been ten minutes? Rayne hadn’t made a decision yet. It felt as though monarch butterflies were hatching from their cocoons and taking flight within her stomach. Fluttering up to her trachea, Rayne couldn’t even clear her throat as she heard the bathroom door open. She could see steam from the hot shower pour out against the light, followed by Izumo’s body stepping into view. Drops of water traced Izumo’s stomach, soaking into the tan towel wrapped around his waist. All the dirty thoughts Rayne had had up until this moment were childs play compared to what she was thinking now.

“You finally submitted to the bed, huh?” Izumo smirked. That attractive bastard.

“You bastard. You could have warned me before you walked in looking like that.” Rayne couldn’t help but smile nervously as Izumo stepped into the room.

“I forgot something, actually.”

“Forgotten, or that you left behind on purpose?”

Izumo stopped opening his dresser drawer, his eyes looking at Rayne’s reflection in the mirror in front of him. His eyes moved down to the pile of clothes atop the dresser, and Rayne wondered if he took note of her shorts being on top.

“Are you sure I can’t have the couch? Or let me take Kotetsu’s bed, he can have the couch.”

Kotetsu’s bed?” Izumo straightened his back, holding whatever he had in his hand in a tight fist. Rayne guessed it was underwear. “His cooties are cooties I don’t want you to have.”

It was Rayne’s turn to laugh, followed by Izumo’s chuckling before they both fell silent. “Are you sure there isn’t anything you need?”

Rayne felt her brows come together as she looked down at the bedsheets. Her heart was pounding hard against her chest, and she looked to see if the shirt was moving because of it. “Actually, Izumo…”

“What is it?”

Funny how Rayne could be cocky, confident, and flirtatious with him at all other times but not now. Even thirteen year old Rayne would probably have asked him to sleep with her already.

“Is there something wrong? Are you uncomfortable sleeping in my bed, is that it? I can change the sheets if you’d like, I didn’t even think about that before we got here.”

“Izumo…” There went her voice again. Now Rayne was angry at being a shy little sixteen year old whose voice cracked like Naruto’s did when he was twelve. “Your bed is big enough for two. I’ll stay on my side, I won’t even touch you. Well, I might. I’ve been told I kick in my sleep, but I don’t think I do anymore. So I won’t voluntarily touch you, okay?”

“…Rayne.”

“I don’t want you to have to sleep on the couch. If you sleep on the couch, I’m sleeping on the floor.”

“Rayne.”

She couldn’t tell by the tone of his voice if he was repulsed, concerned, thought she was crazy, or thought she was stupid. So she went on.

“And don’t think I’m going to try and molest you in your sleep or anything, I won’t touch you, I swear. I really just… I don’t want you to feel like you have to give up your comfort for me what I’m intruding, and-“

Rayne.”

“I might go and die out there. This is the last chance I may ever have to spend time with you, so I just want to be close to you, you know? And I don’t want-“ When balled up cloth hit her in the forehead, Rayne stopped speaking. Looking down, she unballed the underwear Izumo had been holding in his right hand. “Did you just throw your underwear at me?”

“Well look, it made you stop talking.” Izumo was smirking, that was a good sign. But he was also walking toward her, and Rayne wasn’t sure if this was going to end badly when he stopped before her, crouching down with his hands on the bed at her sides. “I said your name three times. Just let me speak, okay?”

Oh this was going to go terribly.

“Okay…let me go change. Sorry I threw my underwear at you, but you have to admit, it was funny.” Grabbing the navy blue boxer briefs from Rayne hand, Izumo turned and walked back toward the bathroom.

…That was it? That was all he was going to say? “Okay”?

“Wait…so, was that a yes?” Rayne called out. Izumo didn’t respond, but he did walk back into the room in sweatpants and ruffled towel hair.

“Did you want to set an alarm for any particular time? I don’t have to be in the office until the afternoon tomorrow, so I don’t need to wake up early.” Izumo nonchalantly sat on the bed. When Rayne didn’t respond to anything he said, he addressed her.

“That was all you had to say? Just ‘okay’? No ‘this is inappropriate behavior’? Or ‘I’m too many years your senior’? ‘You make me uncomfortable’? Anything?”

“No, not at all.” He was smiling again. “This is definitely inappropriate, and we are twelve years apart in age, but this is my house. No one is going to know that we’re sharing a bed, and it isn’t really a big deal. I trust you, and you trust me. You like me, and I like you, Rayne. I really, really do wish that you were in your twenties, because I wouldn’t let you leave me. But aside from all that, this is our night together, and I’d love to stay with you for as long as I can.”

Rayne smiled hard, swinging her arms around Izumo. “Thanks for not thinking I’m just some stupid kid.”

“You’re never really a kid when you’re a ninja. You’re born into war and learning how to fight to kill. It really is a shame…but lets not talk about that. We had a good night together, let’s just lay down and relax.” Fluffing out the covers, they each claimed their spot on the bed, tucking themselves in.

And now here they were, laying in bed side by side, underneath the covers and ready to sleep. Rayne didn’t want to sleep. Rayne wanted to lay in bed and talk, day dreaming the impossible day dream that she would stay in Konoha with this man, forgetting everything she came here for. Kumogakure? Jinchuuriki? Sasuke? Itachi? Uchiha, who? Naruto, who? Great Shinobi War? Impending doom? Damnation and the end of existence? To be with Izumo, that didn’t sound all that terrible…but that wasn’t reality. Reality was when the lamp light was turned off and they went to sleep, Rayne would lose the next six, eight, however many hours with Izumo she could have to sleep. Whenever she woke up tomorrow, she’d shower, dress, and be on her way to the middle of some baron winter wonderland to find Naruto. Then she’d have to chase after Sasuke’s ass and play therapist.

But she shouldn’t be thinking about that now. Now, right now, she should be thinking of the man she was laying next to. With his eyes closed and a half smile on his face, Izumo was sinking into the covers before turning the light off. He looked stunning, and Rayne wanted nothing more than to let him know how much her heart hurt as she imagined leaving him. She said she wouldn’t touch him, but when his lips looked as soft and cold this close to her, she had to reconsider. Rayne had to make a move like she never had before. She was leaving tomorrow with the possibility of never coming back, what was there to lose? The worst that could happen would be Izumo throwing her out of the house.

Rolling over to her left side, Rayne positioned her face before Izumo’s in the blink of an eye. With her eyes locked on his lips, she closed in on her target, his eyes opening to meet her gaze. With his breath against hers, Rayne stopped immediately before her lips touched his in the slightest. She could see herself in his dark, coal eyes. The confidence she had mentally convinced herself she had disappeared in an instant, and it was replaced with a rapid heart rate and fear. Taking a sharp breath in, Rayne rolled backward, quickly reclaiming her side on the bed, turned away from him.

’Holy shit. Holy shit. Holyshitholyshitholyshit…’ She just tried to kiss Izumo. She just tried to kiss a man twelve years her senior. She just tried to kiss the man that told her he trusted her. The silence between them was nerve wracking. Izumo wasn’t saying anything, but the sheets next to Rayne sounded like they were moving. Was he getting out of bed?

With a forceful push on her left shoulder, Rayne was turned and pressed down on her back, Izumo hovering above her. Certainly now he’d see her bright red face, her ashamed expression as he looked her in the eyes. Before Rayne could stifle any words or excuse, Izumo was lowering himself to her, lids half shut as his mouth closed in on hers. He was going to kiss her? Rayne closed her eyes, lips partially puckered as she waited. To her dismay, she received nothing. Opening her eyes, Rayne could see a smirk across the lips that were centimeters away from hers.

“So you were going to kiss me.”

Rayne’s heart hurt. Even though Izumo was smirking, even though he didn’t appear to be angry with her, Rayne was upset with herself. What in her right mind told her to pull that? She wanted to apologize, but her voice wouldn’t let her. In an attempt to escape from beneath him, Rayne turned back to her left, arms extended, searching for the edge of the mattress.

“Rayne?”

“I’m so sorry.” She was tired of hearing him say her name. He had said it far too many times this evening.

“Hey.”

With her fingers curled around the edge of the mattress, Rayne pushed back on her right shoulder to turn herself over. Again, Izumo’s hand pushed her shoulder down, his right hand taking her neck into his palm, forcing her to look at him. Once more on her back, Izumo was before her again, centimeters apart. The intensity of her heart beat was giving her a headache.

Izumo let out a low chuckle as his thumb traced her jawline. “I can hear your heart beat…” Letting go of her shoulder, Izumo’s left hand made its way down her neck, resting above her left breast. “Relax.”

With both hands on the sides of her neck, Izumo pulled Rayne’s lips up to meet his, kissing her gently. He held their kiss while his thumbs carressed her jaw line, calming her down. Rayne’s hands wrapped around the back of his neck, pulling him into her as she kissed back. Breaking apart, they looked at each other, their eyes moving from one to the other as they smiled and kissed again. Moving his head, Izumo smothered her lips with his with gentle, firm kisses. No one had kissed Rayne this way, not this passionately. Izumo knew exactly what he was doing, and it felt amazing.

Pulling away from her, Rayne heard herself let out a small pout. “Have you ever made out with anyone before?”

Rayne’s face instantly flared up. She was sixteen, she should have definitely open mouth kissed someone by now… “No, I haven’t.”

“Okay,” Izumo’s smile was reassuring. “Would you like to?”

Rayne nodded and laughed, unable to calm her nerves, or control the giddy feeling that was erupting in her stomach. Izumo’s laughed matched hers, his thumb carressing her cheek once more.

“You’re so beautiful.”

“You’re perfect.” Rayne meant that word. Every vowel, constanant, and syllable in it.

Izumo kissed her once more. “Okay, let me know if it gets too intense for you. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable or take anything too far, so just tell me to stop if you want me to.”

When he kissed her this time, Izumo kissed her bottom lip, pulling it playfully with his teeth. Rayne smiled, wrapping her fingers in his hair as he parted her lips with his, pulling at them. The more he kissed her, the deeper the kiss was each time until Rayne could feel his tongue at her lips. Their mouths parted together, Izumo holding Rayne’s neck sideways in his palm as he turned to get a better angle. When their tongue’s touched, Rayne’s entire body went numb. Making out wasn’t rough, but it was much more intimate and steamy than the childish kiss she was going to plant on him a few minutes ago.

Their heads were constantly turning into each other, and Izumo’s hands didn’t leave Rayne’s neck. He had her in his firm hold, and Rayne loved that he was holding her in such a way. Breaking away from him, Rayne tugged at his bottom lip with her teeth, and Izumo let out a low moan as she did. When his eyes opened, Rayne could see a haze she hadn’t seen in anyone’s eyes before. She wondered if the same haze was in her eyes, too.

Izumo came down on her again, this time his lips were on the left side of her neck at the jaw line. Rayne felt her body shaking as his lips nipped at her skin, numbing her wherever they touched. Again, Izumo held the right side of her neck in place with his hand as he ran his lips and tongue against the left, causing her to moan when his tongue ran from the base of her neck, to the back of her ear.

“You sound incredible.” Izumo whispered to her, continuing his assault on her sensitive skin. He scooched upward, separating her legs with his knees and resting between her. When Rayne felt a hard bulge between her legs, she understood the intensity of the situation she was in. Izumo was turned on and shirtless, Rayne was turned on and pantless, and they were already laying in bed together.

When Izumo moved forward to kiss behind Rayne’s ear once more, his erection pressed into her directly, and Rayne moaned at the sudden surprising pleasure. Izumo moaned into her skin, kissing down her neck, to her collar bone. As his fingers slowly pulled down the front of the night shirt he had given her, he playfully kissed between the top of her breasts before stopping himself to look at her.

His face was flushed, his gaze half aware of his surroundings as the blood in his body rushed to one concentrated area. “We should stop before I can’t control myself.”

Before he can’t control himself? That sounded too sexy for Rayne stop. Besides, Izumo had touched her, but she hadn’t gotten a chance to touch him yet. As he reclaimed his position in front of her, Rayne’s eyes trailed down to the tented erection in his sweatpants. She really wanted to know what that Izumo felt like. The idea alone made her heart speed up as her finger tips traced the skin on Izumo’s chest while he kissed her. With both hands, Rayne’s fingers descended from his chest, to his abdomen, to his hips bones. Her right palm went flat against his hips while her left hand held the other in place. Sliding her flat palm from his hip to his groin, Izumo’s eyes lost focus on Rayne’s as her hand went against his dick.

“You’re teasing me.” Izumo said with a smirk, assuring Rayne that he wasn’t uncomfortable as she thought he may be. Taking her leeway, Rayne wrapped her hand around him, and Izumo moaned into her lips at her touch. He was incredibly hard, and Rayne stroked him firmly through the material of his sweatpants. This was all new to her, and Rayne was shaking from her excitement. To see how sensitive Izumo was to her touch, Rayne’s eyes never left his face. When he looked at her, his eyes were clouded with the same haze she saw earlier, his mouth parted as his breaths quickened.

Izumo pushed his chest down on Rayne’s, his hand reaching between their bodies, taking hold of hers. With his fingers around hers, he quickened the pace in which she was stroking him. Rayne wondered for a moment if she should slide her hand under the band of his pants, but she figured Izumo would have done that if he wanted her to at this point. His hand left hers, falling onto her inner left thigh. Rayne’s heart beat hard against her chest as she began thinking where his hand might go. His fingers lightly stroked her skin as his hand climbed her thigh higher and higher beneath the shirt he had given her. She could feel the warmth from his skin against her crotch, but suddenly Izumo’s fingers slipped away, and his hand squeezed at her thigh. His other hand held onto hers firmly, stopped any movement between them.

For a moment they were quiet, looking at each other while Izumo regained his voice. “I really, really want to keep going. You have no idea how much it’s killing me to hold myself back.”

Rayne’s brows came together as she surveyed his expression, and noticed how intensely both their bodies were shaking.

“I don’t want to take away any of your first times, though. I want you to do that with someone you’d spend more than one night with.” Izumo brought Rayne’s hand to her side, his fingers laced together as he leaned forward. “And I know that this is a crude way of saying it, but I really do want to fuck you and tear you apart.”

Rayne shivered from the commanding tone of Izumo’s voice as his lips came down on hers once more, immediately bringing their tongues together. Even as he sounded dark and forceful, Izumo still kissed her as gently and passionately as he previously had. Holding squeezed her hand in his, reminding her that their fingers were still laced together. After making out for a few final minutes, Izumo rolled over onto his side, pulling Rayne backward toward him. After adjusting himself to accommodate the erection he still maintained, they settled with her back to his chest with his arm wrapped around her, still holding her hand.

“Izumo.” His name came out like a whisper.

“Hm?”

“Thank you for everything tonight.”

“You’re welcome. It was my pleasure.”

“Obviously.”

He laughed.

“And this…this means a lot.”

“It means a lot to me, too.”

“It makes it harder to leave.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make this harder for you.”

“Don’t apologize. It helps put some things in perspective for me… I even considered just not leaving.”

Izumo propped himself up on his right elbow, looking over Rayne’s shoulder. “I don’t want you to not go after what you want.”

“But I don’t even know if what I’m going after is what I really want.”

“Of course you don’t, you won’t know until you get there.”

Rayne’s eyes fell from him for a moment. “You make me feel like everything is right and that I have nothing to worry about.”

“Rayne, listen to me.” Izumo’s left hand lifted her chin. “We’re on the brink of a major war with the shinobi nations. Once you leave I can guarantee you that I will be leaving the village to go fight someone somewhere. After the war is over and everything settles down, that’s when you can worry about where you want to be and with who. Right now you have to worry about protecting yourself, and who you came to protect, okay?”

“Yeah.” Rayne smiled, and Izumo kissed her once more before snuggling himself against her. Her finger tips traced one vein in his arm from his palm, to the elbow. “Izumo?”

“Hm?”

“I think I’m in like with you.”

Izumo laughed, his deep voice vibrating against Rayne’s back, making her smile. “That’s a good way to put it… I’m in like with you, too.”

And for the first time in what felt like a lifetime, Rayne slept steadily through the night without seeing Sasuke’s, or Itachi’s face once.