TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Kunoichi At Heart by Chloryl

[Reviews - 28]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

You awoke in a cold sweat, with fragments of terrible memories swirling around in your mind. It had only been a dream…it had only been a dream…

One look at the bandages wrapped around your arms, legs and torso told you otherwise.

Then you became aware that your body ached uncomfortably. It had been so constant that you didn’t notice before. And the throbbing in your head was excruciating. You tried to move your hand to your temple, but received a nasty shock when you found out that your arm was completely unresponsive.

“W-what…?” you croaked, realizing that your throat was sore and dry. Thinking fast, you attempted to shift your legs. The same result. In a fit of panic, you tried to roll over and managed to fall off the tiny cot and onto the filthy, concrete ground. You were stuck, being unable to move the rest of your body, but all you felt was relief. At least something could move.

“Orochimaru-sama, four more died yesterday.”

You froze when you heard his voice. You remembered it all too clearly. The syringe. The injection of clear, colourless fluid. The onslaught of pain that ensued. You had asked him what he planned to do, and he spoke of strange things that you didn’t quite catch. Something about…the first DNA. You had no idea what he meant, and you didn’t really want to find out. You swallowed the bile that was threatening to rise to your throat. One thing was for sure. This…experiment had killed off another four innocent Leaf genin.

“Number forty-eight is missing, sir,” the man reported, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. You could barely see his face, illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the tiny window of the building. The again, your eyesight had been unreliably blurry ever since that man injected the strange liquid into your body.

“Is that so…?” Orochimaru murmured thoughtfully. You shuddered at the sound of his voice, wanting nothing more than to cover your ears. Number forty-eight, that was you.

“We should’ve left this experiment permanently discontinued, Orochimaru-sama.”

The other man didn’t reply, so the first one plunged on. “They’re dying at an alarming rate in comparison to the last –”

“What nonsense,” Orochimaru snapped. “Just hurry up and collect your data so we can abandon this wretched shack you call a laboratory.”

“Yes Orochimaru-sama.”

As their footsteps died away, leaving a tranquil silence, you felt movement begin to return to your arms and legs. But it would be a while before you would be strong enough to stand. Over the next few weeks, the two men would check on this room and the condition of the children, until you were the only one left. Lying there, helpless and weak, you awaited your turn to die.

-:-

Just before dawn, you were roused by the sound of light, hesitant footsteps. It was as if they were trying to conceal their presence, the way they were treading. Orochimaru had brought company.

You settled yourself into the scratchy bedding, your heart thudding. With the others dead, he had taken an especially keen interest in your survival. You had lived, against all odds, through whatever substance that had taken the other fifty-nine. There was talk that there was more to come. You really were something, your body that is, he had said. At the moment, you resented your steady heartbeat, sounding so accursed strong and healthy. Why couldn’t you have succumbed, like the others, to the poison coursing through your veins? It would have been so much easier of you had died. But it seemed your immune system had other plans.

The footsteps ceased as the party of three, perhaps four, halted at the door to the room. There was a sharp intake of breath and you smiled grimly. Orochimaru hadn’t thought to remove the corpses from the room. This was a newcomer, unaccustomed to the aura of death that hung over the room like a disease. The door closed softly.

“Oh, sensei…this is awful.”

A female voice, tight with pain, and sounding on the verge of tears. It was a voice you hadn’t heart for what seemed like weeks, lying here in the room that smelled of death. Despite your initial wariness, your heart swelled with newfound hope.

“I think…I think I just lost my appetite.”

It was definitely male this time, and this voice you recognized too. You lifted your head and called out hoarsely.

“Ino, Chouji, is that really you?”

You heard a gasp and saw a flutter of movement by the door. Though much improved, your eyesight was still weak, and you couldn’t distinguish the blurry shapes of your friends until they approached the bed.

“Oh…my…goodness…” Ino breathed. The dull, morning light streaming through the window reflected her blue eyes, wide, disbelieving, and rimmed with red. “Y-you’re alive!”

“Hey,” you croaked. “Did you miss me?”

Ino burst into tears and flung her arms around you. You winced.

“None of that,” Shikamaru said disapprovingly. “Can’t you tell she’s in pain?”

“What did they do to you?” Asuma demaded. Though his face was blurry, he looked angry, almost disgusted.

“Do I look that bad, sensei?” you asked in a tiny voice.

Before he had a chance to reply, the door flew open and ricocheted off the wall.

“I thought I heard someone.”

He was out of your range of vision, but you knew his voice well. The others, unaffected by failing eyesight such as the likes of yours, whirled around and gasped.

“We’ve walked into a trap,” Shikamaru said, so quietly that only those standing around him could hear. “I told you we should’ve scouted the area first.”

“No kidding,” Ino muttered, sounding terrified. “What do we do now?”

Orochimaru stepped closer, his pale face illuminated by the ghostly light. “You have found my treasure trove, I see. She’s an exquisite finding, isn’t she?”

You shuddered, and Ino gave a tiny whimper. Orochimaru had that kind of effect on people, and you suspected it was genjutsu.

“Ino, snap out of it!” came Chouji’s urgent whisper. “You know what we came here to do.”

Asuma leaned down and slipped a small, round pill into your hand. “Take this. It’ll keep your strength up, but only temporarily, so you can slip away unnoticed while we create a diversion. Just do it, [Name]!” he added, when he saw your expression. “We’ll be fine, you’ll only be in the way. We’re going to get you out of here.”

A lump began to form in your throat. Your team was risking their lives to rescue you. True, it was their duty if this was a mission, but this was something more.

“Thank you, sensei.” Your trembling hand closed around the pill and you gave a small nod of assent. You must’ve missed the command from Asuma, but at that moment, the four of them sprang.

Watching the battle from afar, you were unable to tell how your friends were doing. Nevertheless, you trusted Asuma-sensei’s words. You raised the pill to your lips.

[Name].

You jumped violently, almost losing your grip on the pill. There was no doubt it was Orochimaru’s voice, but he was fighting your friends, not standing beside you. How could he –

Think before you choose to leave this place. You’re throwing away your future, he hissed in your head. Your eyes moved around wildly, but there was no one around.

I have my ways, Orochimaru whispered, as if he could hear your thoughts. You shook your head and all but shoved the pill down your throat. Almost at once, warmth flooded your limbs, and you felt strong enough to rise to your feet.

I can offer you power that you can only dream about, he said softly. With your abilities, my instruction may be worth your time. You also have many questions. Why are you here? I know you believe that you are not from this world.

Before he said it, you hadn’t thought of yourself as an…outsider for weeks. Now, you wondered how –

How do I know? Well, you’ll just have to wait.

You gritted your teeth, but you couldn’t tune him out.

Don’t you find it a little…odd that you’re the sole survivor, [Name]-chan? Your body is remarkably resistant to genetic modification that would have killed any ordinary grown person. Do you know what this means? You can attain powers beyond your wildest dreams, child.

“What are you talking about?” you asked aloud, a little shakily, You edged towards the open door, your eyes darting warily around the room once in a while.

The exit is at the end of the hall, the door to the left, Orochimaru said unexpectedly. If you choose to leave, I will let you go.

You were in the hall now, and you stiffened in surprise. “Just like that?”

But alas, it will be such a waste, he murmured regretfully. Someone is waiting for you in the room to the right. He’ll tell you more if you are willing to listen. He’ll take you to the Sound Village if my proposal perks your interest. Power is a flighty thing, [Name]-chan. I won’t offer this to you twice.

Leaving you shell-shocked, standing in the middle of the hallway, Orochimaru’s voice faded from your mind. Just as he had described, there was a door on either side, identical in appearance, but carried the weight of your world on their fragile thresholds. He had woven his trap well. As much as you wanted your freedom, his words had affected you to some degree. Indeed, his offer was tempting…

If you choose the door to the left, go to Chapter 100.

If you choose the door the right, go to Chapter 101.