TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Kunoichi At Heart by Chloryl

[Reviews - 28]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

"Chouji," you decided, grinning. Chouji looked startled but pleased at your choice and followed you into your section of the woods. Your eyes swept over the half of the map in your hands, finding the 'x' with relative ease.

"This is where we need to go," you said, pointing. Chouji glanced at the mark and nodded.

"That's not far from here," he sighed in relief. He pulled out a bag of chips and gave you a wary glance before taking a handful and crunching on them in earnest. "Want one?" he asked, after a small pause. You gave him a small smile and shook your head.

"There!" You indicated the boulder ahead, covered in springy moss and lichen. "But I can't seem to find it…Chouji, what does a trench knife look like?"

Chouji gave you a strange look. "It's Asuma-sensei main tools in battle, [Name]. He uses them as chakra blades."

"But what do they look like?" you asked again, squinting at the boulder. Up close, you couldn't find anything that looked remotely like a knife to you. "Like…the shape."

Chouji snapped a branch off a conveniently located bush and began to make scratchy lines into the dirt. When he finished, he tapped his drawing with the stick.

"Like this, sort of," he said, sounding half-embarrassed. "It's not very good, but…" he trailed off as you examined the shallow cuts in the ground.

"Hmm, so there're spiky things on the edge," you mused, your eyes wandering over the drawing. "How big are these trench knives, usually?"

Chouji gave you another strange look. "Small enough so that sensei can hold one in each hand."

"Oh!" you said, surprised. "How silly of me, I thought they were as big as swords!"

Chouji laughed and dropped his stick. Both of you wandered over to the moss-covered boulder, scrutinizing every crack and crevice at every angle.

"I don't suppose it'd be hidden underneath it, do you?" you asked apprehensively, gazing at the large rock in grudging admiration. It was at least twice as tall as you were, and several times as wide. You doubted you had the strength to lift it, even if you did tap into your chakra reserves.

"It won't hurt to try," Chouji reasoned, earning him a disbelieving look from you. "What?" he asked.

"Look at how big this thing is!" you protested, spreading your hands. "Even if we rolled it, I doubt we'll get far before we tire ourselves out."

Chouji gave you a small smile. "You're forgetting – I am an Akimichi after all."

You stared at him blankly.

"My clan's main technique, the expansion jutsu," he prodded encouragingly. When no flicker of recognition sparked in your (e/c) eyes, he gave up. "Oh well, [Name]…I'll just have to do it." His clasped his hands together into a hand seal.

"What? But Chouji –" you cried disapprovingly.

He just gave you a reassuring smile. "Baika no jutsu!"

You watched in stunned silence as Chouji's body expanded several times its original size. "Whoa…" you breathed.

"Human boulder…!" he exclaimed, launching himself directly at the other boulder and shattering it in the collision that followed. You gazed in awe at the demonstration of sheer strength. The boulder that had once been menacingly massive was now reduced to a pile of rubble coated in a light layer of fresh dust. You glanced at Chouji, worried that the impact might've hurt him, but he just grinned at you.

"That was fantastic!" you called, your eyes sparkling in admiration. His grin widened, and a light blush formed on his cheeks as he held out an object that looked remarkably like the drawing on the ground in front of your feet.

"So that's a trench knife," you murmured, looking at the wickedly sharp blade with a flash of recognition. You've seen something like that before somewhere, but you couldn't place it.

"Yeah," Chouji agreed, placing it gingerly in the pocket of his haori.

"So now…" you grimaced, not really wanting to go off to fight Shikamaru and Ino to secure the remaining trench knife. It was one thing to be pitted against Academy classmates but it was quite another to have to betray childhood friends in order to complete this mission. Chouji was most likely thinking the same thing, because his eyebrows were scrunched up in a frown.

"Maybe we should just forfeit," Chouji suggested finally, sounding thoroughly miserable at the prospect.

"Good idea –" you began, but a voice issuing from above you head cut you off.

"[Name]! Chouji!"

You glanced up and saw two familiar figures perched precariously on a branch high up in a tree.

"Hey Ino!" you called, addressed the one who had spoken first. Ino and Shikmaru jumped down and landed soundlessly on the ground beside you, far too close for your liking. In the mission, they were an enemy team after all. Without thinking, both you and Chouji moved into a defensive position.

"Hey now, white flag of truce guys," Shikmaru stated, sounding immensely bored. "We're just here to talk."

You tried to take a step back, but found yourself rendered unable to move your body. "What the –?!"

Chouji seemed to have found himself in the same predicament. "Shikamaru," he growled warningly.

"W-what's happening?" you asked nervously, your hands trembling in the futile effort to perform the simple operation of uncurling your fingers. Your eyes, one of the few things you could still control, darted to Shikamaru suspiciously. His hands were laced together in what you recognized to be the rat seal. So he was the one who was doing this!

"Shadow possession jutsu," Ino said smugly, relaxing now that both you and Chouji were immobilized. "You guys are way too cautious. We just want to talk."

Your gaze travelled instinctively to the ground at her words. You noticed that your shadow had darkened to an unnatural shade of black and had elongated so that it was connected to Shikamaru's. You weren't able to turn your head, but you were positive that Chouji was in the same state. Shikamaru shifted slightly, and both you and Chouji's bodies moved involuntarily to mimic his exact movements.

"Cool…" you mouthed, despite your situation.

Shikmaru crossed his arms, and so did you. "We're not looking to take your knife, at least, not yet."

"And why should we trust you?" you asked, defeated. There was no way you and Chouji could worm your way out of this one, especially in this state of immobility.

"As you've probably noticed, you're at my mercy," he replied, moving his arms up and down to prove his point. "So it doesn't really matter if we do take your knife or not, does it?" He turned to Chouji, forcing your head to turn too so that you couldn't see Shikamaru anymore. "Asuma hid our knife under this huge rock." You felt your arms spread of your own accord.

"Obviously, Ino and I aren't strong enough to love the boulder on our own. So we'll need your help, Chouji."

Chouji gave you a worried glance and you smiled in encouragement.

"Absolutely," he told Shikamaru, who sighed and released the jutsu. You staggered back a few steps, propelled by the momentum of your previous attempts to fight Shikmaru's shadow possession.

"Careful," Chouji held out an arm to prevent you from falling flat on your face.

"Thanks," you murmured, grateful for the support.

"Okay, lead us to your rock, Shikamaru," Chouji requested, earning him a contemptuous glare from Ino.

"I see right through you. You have no intention of helping us at all!" she cried accusingly. "You'll break down the rock with your expansion jutsu, then run off with the knife."

"This is Chouji who you're talking about," Shikamaru reminded her. "I don't believe he will betray us like that."

"Look who's talking," Ino spat, glaring at Shikamaru with undisguised fury. "You're his friend, and you said it yourself. You'd rather have him pass than you, because you don't even care!"

"True," he admitted. "But honestly Ino, you're letting the stress get to your head. Do you really think Chouji is like that?"

The fire in her eyes died down, replaced by pools of guilt. "You're right. Sorry…I wasn't thinking straight."

Shikamaru shrugged. Ino's personality was so temperamental sometimes…how troublesome. He cleared his throat and turned to Chouji. "It's not far from here. Follow me."

-:-

"Now what?" Chouji asked, watching the smoking remains of the destroyed boulder with more interest than he should. You guessed he was brooding over the having to fight with Shikamaru for the knife again.

"You know what?" Ino said unexpectedly. "Chouji, you can have it."

Three pairs of disbelieving eyes turned to look at her.

"Are you Ino?" Shikamaru asked warily.

"After you worked so hard to get here?" you objected. You didn't want to fail, but neither did you want to see your friend get sent back to the Academy on your account.

"You're definitely not Ino," Shikamaru decided, eying her critically. "For one, your bang is on the wrong side."

"Shut up!" Ino said angrily, getting to her feet. "What's wrong with you? My hair's always been like that."

"It was just to test you," he said breezily, unfazed. "So you are Ino. What did Asuma-sensei do to you, huh?"

"He didn't do anything –" she began.

"Shikamaru's right," you cut her off. "This isn't like you. You're usually much more competitive. You're not one to give up. That's Shikamaru's job."

Ino sighed and flipped her hair. "It's not that I want to give up, you know? But we really don't have much of a choice. As I said, at least two of us should pass. I'm not that heartless – sometimes I need to make sacrifices too."

You gave a tense laugh. "But why give up? At least try to engage in conflict or something, and show Asuma-sensei what we're capable of."

"That's the thing," she said, sounding annoyed. "Look at you guys, it's pathetic. It's clear none of you want to fight each other, just look at Shikamaru and Chouji's expressions! And look at you." She pulled out a kunai and tossed it at you, who caught it reflexively. "Let's say I decide that we fight to the death, here and now. You up for it?"

You gulped and she nodded, satisfied.

"See? That's what I meant."

"So this test," Chouji said miserably. "it's meant to break our will?"

Ino gave a harsh bark of laughter, causing you to jump. "Exactly."

You extended your kunai, the sharp point facing towards her. "And what if I am up to it?"

Ino eyed the blade apprehensively, her blue eyes filled with incredulity. "You wouldn't…"

You shook your head regretfully. "No, probably not." Your fingers rummaged through your pouch and came up with a length of wire strings. "Sorry, Chouji…"

You flung the wires at Chouji's pockets and twirled them in your fingertips, effectively ensnaring the trench knife with your makeshift knot. Before he could stop you, you yanked on the wire and the knife flew out of his pockets. You caught it and handed it to Ino, who looked stupefied.

"You have to collect both knives to pass. Take it," you commanded.

Ino didn't move. "But [Name]…what good does this do? Even if you don't care about passing, what about Chouji?"

"Just take it. It's for you and Chouji," you said. "Shikamaru doesn't care about passing either. You said it yourself – at least two of us should pass. And if anyone, it's you and Chouji who deserve it."

"But –"

"If anyone should be complaining," you teased half-heartedly. "It's Shikamaru."

Ino still didn't take it, so you gave her an exasperated frown.

"It isn't that bad of an idea," Shikamaru put in, scratching his nose thoughtfully. "The only person that has anything to lose is [Name], but what's the worst case scenario? She'll be sent back to the Academy, so what? She'll just pass again anyways, be put on another genin team. As for me, I'll probably stick to watching clouds…it's much easier than this troublesome shinobi business."

You shoved the knife into Ino's unwilling hands. "There. Asuma-sensei will probably be here any minute."

"As a matter of fact, I'm already here," Asuma said, emerging from the shadows. "You guys have an…interesting strategy I'll admit."

The team stayed silent, and there was a heavy pause.

"Technically," Asuma continued. "All four of you have united the two knives, which in a way, is what you were supposed to do to pass. However, a main component of this training exercise is the conflict." He gave everyone a wry smile. "And you could argue that verbal conflict is much more…conflicting. I suppose I could pass all four of you, if you'd like."

His eyes flickered over to you and Shikamaru, amused. "Unless of course, if you two would rather not pass. I seem to be under the impression that you two didn't want to."

"No, we do!" you and Shikamaru said at the same time.

"Very good, then," Asuma nodded and took another drag on his cigarette. "You pass. All four of you."

You were about to thank him when your knees suddenly felt weak and your eyes strangely heavy.

"[Name]?"

Read Chapter 23, then return to this page.

"[Name!]"

Your opened your eyes and found yourself gazing into the concerned faces of your teammates and sensei. Their worry brought a smile to your face.

"I'm fine," you assured them, standing up. "Sorry sensei, what were you saying again?"

Asuma looked taken aback by your sudden recovery. You had collapsed to the ground for no reason, and were now completely fine? He guessed it had something to do with the lack of food and resolved to make sure his team was well-fed before the next mission.

"Now, we'll be beginning D-ranked missions soon. Meet me at Yakiniku Q…and there's no need to bring any ninja gear. You won't be needing them."

"No ninja gear?" Ino grumbled as Asuma vanished without saying a proper goodbye. "What's up with that?"

You shrugged. "I'd still bring some, just in case. You never know what would happen on a mission."

"Right," Shikamaru muttered. "Like we'd need kunai to baby-sit kids."

"Babysitting?!" you spluttered, whirling around to look at his amused expression.

"Yeah, D-ranked missions are such a drag," he replied promptly.

"Great," you muttered, sighing. You should have known that genin never get the interesting, combat-type missions. "Alright, see you guys. I'm going home."

You waved to your teammates who all headed in the opposite direction before setting off for your house. At least missions could earn you some money, no matter how boring they were, you reasoned to yourself. Lost in thought, you didn't pay attention to where you were going until you suddenly bumped into someone.

And who might that be?

A powerful tokubetsu jounin! Go to Chapter 42.

Konohamaru! Go to Chapter 43.