TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Kunoichi At Heart by Chloryl

[Reviews - 28]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

"Team 9," you replied, grinning at your sensei.

Iruka raised an eyebrow. "Interesting. I'm sure you would make an excellent addition to their team."

You weren't sure if he was being sarcastic or not. After all, you were a new genin, and Lee, Tenten, and Neji all had at least a year of training more than you did. What good could you bring to their team that they did not already have? Nevertheless you wanted to be on Team 9, so it didn't matter what they thought.

"Um…thank you?" you mumbled, half-glancing at Iruka's amused expression. He straightened, then gestured to the door. "Come then, I'll take you to meet your sensei and new team."

You followed as he headed towards the training grounds.

"They'll be here somewhere…" you kept hearing him mutter to himself. "I told Gai that you might join his team…he might've forgotten…"

It took another hour of searching, but when Iruka finally located them, he was in a foul mood.

"Gai!" he shouted, brandishing the papers in his hand at the green-clad man sparring with his three students. You noticed Lee first, who stopped in the middle of an airborne flip and fell to the ground in a tangled green heap.

"Iruka!" Gai boomed, without missing a beat. He pocketed his kunai and spun around to face the two of you. Neji, Lee, and Tenten staggered to the forest floor, panting and wiping the sweat off their brows.

"This is [Last Name] [First Name]. As you can see –" Iruka began, but Gai cut him off mid-sentence, his face lighting up with anticipation.

"Yes, I see…well if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find Kakashi. Meanwhile, Lee, Neji, and Tenten – you can entertain [Name] while I'm gone."

"Yosh, Gai-sensei!" Lee proclaimed, straightening up and offering you a smart salute. You gave him a warm smile in response. With that, Gai vanished, leaving a very baffled-looking Iruka in his wake. Then Iruka excused himself and headed off as well, leaving you alone in the company of Team 9 minus the sensei.

"It had to take a whole year, but it's great to have another kunoichi on this team at last," Tenten sighed, tilting her head. Her eyes held an animated, almost manic gleam. "Hey, [Name]. Are you any good with weapons?"

"Not particularly," you admitted. Neji eyed you critically, but didn't offer a comment. You wondered if he disapproved of your presence. He didn't like to acknowledge the prowess of kunoichi in comparison to shinobi after all, and having another female on his team may bring him inconvenience.

"Now, [Name]-san…let us train!" Lee called joyfully, doing a backflip and landing neatly on a nearby tree branch.

"Just as I expected," Tenten muttered under her breath. "You really can call this entertainment, Lee?"

He jumped back down and landed beside her, grinning. "Yes! It is the best form of entertainment there is! I will make Gai-sensei proud!"

"Why did Gai…sensei leave so abruptly?" you asked, somewhat miffed at his sudden departure.

"Oh! That is because of his bet with his eternal rival, Kakashi-san!"

"Bet?" you echoed, glancing curiously at Lee.

"Gai-sensei is kind of eccentric that way," Tenten explained. "He and Kakashi have a long-standing tendency to bet over childish things."

Lee shook his head seriously. "Gai-sensei has an outstanding record of 50 wins and 49 losses. This one will bring his win count up by one! So arigatou, [Name]-san, for your help!"

You probably looked confused, as Neji spoke up for the first time since you arrived. "Gai bet that you would opt to join our team, and Kakashi vice versa."

"Oh, I see," you replied, unnerved. You weren't sure what to feel about being the subject of your new sensei's childish – according to Tenten – bet. Neji nodded wordlessly and turned away again.

Lee and Tenten chattered away, while you spared an occasional comment. Neji stayed as stoic and silent as ever, but a trace of amusement flickered across his blank eyes every once on a while. When Gai returned, he looked visibly disappointed that Tenten had talked Lee out of training with you.

"She has youthful potential, though!" Gai exclaimed, while Tenten rolled her eyes in exasperation.

But eventually, your sensei became slightly more serious. "Okay, [Name]. We'll need to test and hone your abilities somehow. How about we meet here again at 3 AM?"

You gulped.

"That's a bit too early," Tenten chided, coming to your rescue. You gave her a grateful look.

"A bit…" Neji muttered sarcastically.

"Alright then," Gai sighed in disappointment. "I was hoping to get plenty of training done tomorrow…but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to allow you a couple more hours of sleep than I originally intended."

Relieved, you agreed. You waved goodbye to your teammates and sensei and set off in the direction of your house. You couldn't wait until training tomorrow, and hoped that Gai and Lee's enthusiasm wasn't rubbing off on you too much.

-:-

That night, you had the first dream since you arrived in the ninja world.

And it was strange, even by your standards. It started out normal enough, a vague, fuzzy replay of the day's events and the odd, dreamlike quality characteristic of dreams.

You floated around, minding your own business, until the scene before you tore apart like strips of painted canvas. And now, fear clouded your mind, because it wasn't like any nightmare you had ever experienced before. There was no strange haze that blurred your thoughts, no fuzziness that confirmed that it was just a dream. You were paralyzed with terror, but you forced yourself to back away from the gaping holes in the canvas. Then you froze again, as the silhouette of a man stepped out of the blackness and gazed at you with the strangest case of heterochromia you had ever seen. His left eye was deep purple, while his right eye was crimson with the telltale design of a matured Sharingan. That man…he wasn't supposed to obtain the Rinnegan until Shippuden, so what was up with that?

You told your body to move, but it would not respond to your frantic signals. Somehow, against your will, you were held rooted to the spot.

"Genjutsu…" you breathed. With a mix of revulsion and awe, you gazed as the man reached towards your face, almost lovingly, with a strange expression on his face.

"Rin…" he whispered tenderly, tears leaking from the corners of his eyes. His fingers lightly brushed your cheek and you flinched, terrified. His eyes filled with sadness and he vanished. You awoke, your face pale and beaded with perspiration, then fell back into a restless, dreamless slumber.

-:-

You woke up at three in the morning, unable to bring yourself to go back to sleep. You couldn't stomach any food either, so you roamed listlessly around the house with no inherent purpose. You almost wished Tenten hadn't stopped Gai from making the training meeting at 3 AM, so that you could have an excuse to leave your house. You peered out your window, disappointed at the still-dark horizon. Finally, you couldn't stand brooding over your thoughts any longer, so you grabbed your coat and headed outside.

You began to crave company as you strolled down the dimly lit roads, lost in thought. It seemed as though the sky would never lighten, and you wished you brought a watch, or a clock along. Weary of your aimless walking, you decided to set off for the training ground early.

You didn't expect anyone to be up at this hour, so when you saw that Lee was already there, you started in surprise.

"Hey Lee!" you called, waving.

He twisted around and grinning at you happily. "[Name]-san! It is nice to see you, what brings you here so early?"

"I could ask you the same," you replied teasingly, approaching. "I couldn't sleep."

Lee nodded wisely. "I see. That is most convenient. Now we can get a start on training before any of the others arrive. What do you think?" His eyes sparkled with such unbridled enthusiasm that you couldn't help but grin.

If you agree to train with Lee, go to Chapter 26.

If you politely decline his offer, go to Chapter 27.